Con Report: ANIME EXPO

E. Kontei

Jul 9, 1993, 6:38:21 PM7/9/93

How I Spent My Summer Vacation, Part II
by Enrique Conty, age 26

During the week, I stayed with some people in San Jose. Did a second
Nikaku run, and took the otaku tour of San Francisco (Japantown, Laser
Perceptions, Kimono My House).

Netters and personalities:
- Again, many, many, many net people there. I won't be able to mention
them all.
- Zoner is nothing like I expected. Very interesting man, with good
taste in comics. ^_^
- Carl Horn is a gentleman, a scholar, and party animal extraordinaire.
- "Gaver-sensei and me? We're like this..." Cool man to be around.
- Trish Ledoux is also great to talk to. Too bad I never met her sister.
- Dani-chan... ok, I won't call her cute... BUT SHE IS, TOO! Even after
she laughed off my Curtis impersonation.
- Hitoshi Doi came with his beautiful wife and lovely little kid (not to
mention his cel collection, UFO catcher dolls, and Sailor Moon candy).
Take "Tenchi" from Tenchi Muyou, add a few years, and that's Hitoshi.
- I got to talk to Crystal Gronnestad before the con started. She's a
fellow Yoshitaka Amano fan, so we had stuff to talk about. I got her
to design a "Angel" (from ANGEL'S EGG) t-shirt for me, as soon as I
send her the money.
- The Creepy Bald Guy from last year was also there. I managed to get
a business card from him: David Norell, Star League, with an address
in upstate NY.

Pre-Registration:
- This was *really* fast. The schedule of events wasn't there, but it was
delivered just a while later. Sterling job.

Live Panels:
- The Opening Ceremonies were a recap from the ones in '91 and '92, plus
the new opening animation. The new one was better than the one from '92,
but they still need to work on their editing. (Is there ANY way I can
get the OP for '91?)
- All panels started close to start time, although some
started 20 minutes late...
- Kitty's panel was packed, since they had announced that they would be
giving away free cels. (Please, I don't need to know about the cel I
won but didn't claim.) Some of the interactions between the panelists
and the crowd were interesting:
o "How many of you would like to see our stuff subtitled?" 200 people
raise their hands. "Dubbed?" This one guy raises his hand (and I
know who you are...)
o "Will you release a live-action Ranma movie like you did with
MAISSON IKKOKU?" Crowd: "NO!!!"
o Mike Studte: "In the second Ranma 1/2 movie, there was an extreme
amount of 'bounce factor'. Will the upcoming OVAs be like this,
or will we get good stories instead?" Kitty spokesperson: "Eeto..."
- Pioneer. I didn't see anything here that wasn't in my "news" report.
- LA Heroes. This panel was woefully under-attended. They wanted to give
8 LAH tapes after the panel, but only 7 people were there.
- Makoto Kobayashi. A soft-spoken man, and really nice to talk to.
Some interesting tidbits:
o To achieve the Moebius-style feathering in Dragon's Heaven, he did the
mecha drawings with clean lines, then called two artists to go over each
cel and add the finishing.
o He has no favorite work.
o He used to do models to help him visualize his mecha, but now he can
do it in his head.
o Only a small portion of the designs he does are actually used for a show,
and even then these are "streamlined" for use in animation.
o Imagawa was the one who suggested the basic mecha shapes for Giant Robo,
and Kobayashi "detailed" them (as he humbly put it). But going from
a mound with a drill-tip to the BF Train in the opening sequence is
QUITE a feat of detailing... ^_^
o Kobayashi has already done all the mecha designs in Giant Robo, including
the one for Giant Robo 2, who'll appear in episode 5.
o The discussion drifted towards his next project. He's doing spaceship
design, and someone asked to sketch a ship from the new show. Kobayashi
and the translator had a short talk (something along the lines of
whether he could say this or not), then he picked up the sketchpad and
started drawing. When he showed the sketchpad to the crowd, the
reaction was instantaneous:
"AA! UCHUU SENKAN YAMATO DA!!"
After the panel, people lined up for posters. Problem is, there
were 40 posters and about 70 people in the room. Kobayashi said that
the first 40 people would get the posters, and he'd do sketches for the
rest. I was #46, and when I got to the table I asked to get the
Yamato sketch. Got it, too. The punchline: when I came back a while
later, people were asking for other Yamato sketches after they saw me
get the first one!
- Imagawa is as different from Kobayashi as night and day. Really
energetic, and truly excited about his project. His Chinese heroes
are inspired by such traditional novels as "Heroes of the Water
Margin" and "Bandit Kings of Ancient China".
- I dropped in on the H panel after the Karaoke. It was... boring.
Someone from Doki Doki had a video camera pointing at pages from some
H manga, which was then piped to a large TV. Every time he flipped a
page, the only thing you could see was the "Doki Doki" logo on his shirt.
(Subliminal advertising? You tell me.) I decided to go back to my room
and catch some desperately needed Zs...

Video Programs:
- Ah, this is more like it! They publish a schedule, post it,
and stick to it!
- Too damn many good things going on at the same time. Short reviews:
o Teito Monogatari #1 and #2. Horror story by Rin Taro, in his most
moody, eerie, surreal, and beautiful style.
o Video Girl Ai #5 and #6, subtitled. This *is* a sad show,
even if it had a happy ending.
o Tenchi Muyou #5 and #6. The story just "ends" without resolving itself.
Ah well, we'll just have to wait for TM2.
o Walter Amos comandeered Video Room #3 and showed all of his Future
Boy Conan subs.

Film Program:
- GIANT ROBO #2 and #3. Good, very good. #3 ends with a major, major
cliffhanger (and who knows when will I get to see the rest of it!!).
- GREEN LEGEND RAN I've described elsewhere.

Parties:
- Every single night I got to stay late. First with Tonghyun Kim, Mike
Studte, Ryan Gavigan, Pascal "P-chan" Janin (and his amazing soundbox!),
Christian Balzer, Hitoshi Doi, Adam Roberts, Danielle Scott, and others.
Then with Alan Takahashi, Hitoshi, Pascal, and a few other magical girls
fans. Then with Jim Ramberg, Linda Chui (who came later, as she was
watching Arslan), Hitoshi, P-chan, and others I'm blanking on right now.
- I *tried* to go to the "Meet the Guests" party. Not 5 minutes after
I got to Toppers, I got pulled to a table where Jeff Yang was doing a
"live" interview of various fans. Hitoshi was there, as well as Linda
Chui, Ryan Gavigan, and a number of others. Lots of laughs after some
of the questions, and I managed to come across as the pompous boor I
usually am... ^_^;; I'm told that the party lasted until the wee hours
of the morning.

Gameshow:
- DAMN, DAMN, DAMN! If I hadn't blown up the ANIMAG question in the
preliminaries, I would have been able to challenge Ryan Gavigan's
championship. As it was, Gaver-sensei had no opposition from Paul Aoki
and Dickinson Lo (sp?), and won again. His punishment (^_^) is to
write the questions for next year. (I volunteered to help. B-))
At least I got 5 honorary points from Jeff Okamoto when I answered a
question none of the contestants got right.

Karaoke:
- Too bad I didn't get it on videotape. Perfect blackmail material. B-)
Hitoshi and some other people singing the Sailor Moon OP (they brought
their own laser karaoke disc). Someone MURDERING one of the Orange
Road OPs. A young couple singing the Ah! Megamisama OP, and doing a
very good job of it. Widja Santoso singing an English-language version
of the Nadia OP. Doug Dlin from Antartic singing the opening to one
of the Japanese Transformers shows (huh?). Someone doing the Dragonball Z
opening (so *that's* where "Cha-la Head Cha-la" comes from!). Meanwhile,
me, Gaver-sensei and Dani-chan were on the back, making fun of the
entire thing. Eventually, Gavigan went to the front and joined in the
last song, a crowded rendition of Lambada Ranma ("Charlotto, Charlotto!").

Dealer's Room:
- About the same as Anime America. It looked emptier because the room
itself was much larger, and some of the booths were not being used...

Masquerade:
- Costumes I saw outside of the masquerade include Kurotowa (from last
year's masquerade), a Tank Police officer, Kyoko Otonashi ("Gambatte
kudasai, ne!"), Ataru Moroboshi (with a Lum doll), Sasuke from
RANMA 1/2 in street clothes (no, wait, that was me...)
- Walter Amos was again MC, this time as an imperial general from
LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC HEROES. He started speaking in German, but
switched to English when someone in the audience yelled "Subtitles!!".
- A Ranma/someone else martial arts exhibition.
- Deunan Knute and Briareos. Unfortunately, Briareos couldn't be there,
so they called in his stunt double... a cute Bri plush doll. Deunan
disappeared afterwards, and I never got a chance to look at the costume
and doll.
- A Zentraedi soldier. Nice costume, but who did his hair? ^_^
- Some guy dressed as an ADP trooper. Incredibly detailed costume
with working searchlights, the works. Unfortunately, the stage lights
went out less than 30 seconds after he came on stage, and never came
up again until he left, so no-one got to see the costume.
- Darold Higa as a Gundam Federation pilot. Instinctively, me and
Gaver-sensei started chanting: "Sieg Jion! Sieg Jion!"
- A very well done "Captain Harlock and Emeraldas". The most incredible
thing is that their hair was for real!
- A Saotome Genma vs. Riding Bean "Street Fighter 15" sequence, which
gets interrupted by Minky Momo, who beats them both.
- A-ko walks on screen, picks up the microphone, proclaims "MY FATHER
IS NOT DEAD!", and storms off to a huge audience reaction.
- Inaba-kun, complete with business card. I saw him before the masquerade,
and he played the part convincingly, looking hopelessly lost...
- The Ranma and Giant Robo teams from the previous con were there.
Fogler still had a problem memorizing his lines.
- The most bizarre sketch involved Widja Santoso in a rioutous Monthy
Python-esque message on the proper way to cosplay... C-ko. That man is
two tempura fries short of a bento box. Walter said it best:
"This skit goes to prove that, even after conquering several galaxies
and countless planets, there are times when you just want to shoot
yourself in the head..."
- At the end, another group skit with GoH Scott Frazier playing the part
of "I.M.Sleezy", a video producer who buys rights to Japanese shows and
rearranges them for an American audience (sounds familiar, folks?).
Yet another Otaku Squad appearance (four out of four... this is getting
boring!).
- After the Masquerade, "Kurotowa" (who knew me from the net) invited
me and a few others to the local Denny's (I was the only one not in
a costume... the token normal guy). I had to decline, for a number
of reasons.

Art Show/Artist's Ghetto:
- More of the same. Some nice models, including "Darkness", the
gothic Devilman/Sirene statue by Gronnenstad which won first prize.
One thing I would have LOVED to see as a poster was the "SD Class Photo",
a collection of 500 or so SD characters, from Totoro to Gundam to Lodoss
Wars to Video Girl Ai to the Sailor Senshi to Orange Road.

Art Auction:
- The audience was really into it. Some items sold for true bargain
prices, while others just kept going up and up (like the
"Akane-and-Pchan" cel, which sold for $250). I got a Yoshitaka Amano
glow-in-the-dark "Pisces" puzzle for $10.
- There were some weird items in the auction, but The Bag takes the cake.
A manila envelope, the kind used by Sunrise to ship animation cels from
one department to another. It had the phone extensions for all Sunrise
departments on it, and it is rumored it was touched by Yoshiyuki Tomino!!
It sold for $1, a true bargain (you tell me where you can buy a sturdy
cel-sized envelope for $1 nowadays!).

The Sun sets in the East:
- After all was said and done, I decided to see who else was around.
Gaver-sensei was at what was left of the gripe session, and we started
to swap obscure anime trivia questions, as a warm-up for next year's
gameshow. After this, I went upstairs for the Dead Dog party.
Some GoHs were agitatedly discussing stuff, while I just sat down
to watch the sun set behind the hills of San Francisco, as the 4th
of July fireworks illuminated the twilight...

Monday, July 5, 1993, 6:00 AM:
- Tadaimaaaaaa!!! <THUD!>

Same day, 6:02 AM:
- ZZZZZZZZ...

Cheers:
- You managed to come up with a schedule, and stick to it most of the
time. There were a few slip-ups (like the Masquerade starting an hour
late), but otherwise it was a decent job.
- The video programming was great! Truly unusual stuff in the room
channels, and great subbed stuff downstairs. And all on time!

Jeers:
- The film projectors were woefully inadequate for the task. Several times
the films would be out of focus, the sound would come out garbled, or
the muzak playing in the next room would seep in through the partition.
- The "experiment" with computer animation was a disaster, as far as I'm
concerned. I didn't care for it, and I'm guessing most attendees
didn't either...
--
E n r i q u e C o n t y
"You're humming the Sailor Moon OP" "Yeah... OH MY GOD!!!"

Chadwick Ngan

Jul 9, 1993, 7:25:28 PM7/9/93
In article <C9x5K...@cbnewsl.cb.att.com> co...@cbnewsl.cb.att.com (E. Kontei) writes:

>- Zoner is nothing like I expected. Very interesting man, with good
> taste in comics. ^_^

I am curious. Everybody on the net says Zoner is nothing like they
expected. What *do* they expect him to be anyway? :)

>- Imagawa is as different from Kobayashi as night and day. Really
> energetic, and truly excited about his project. His Chinese heroes
> are inspired by such traditional novels as "Heroes of the Water
> Margin" and "Bandit Kings of Ancient China".

I thought those two titles are one and the same ....

Chadwick
Sheeta "the Elf"

Tonghyun Kim

Jul 9, 1993, 8:01:58 PM7/9/93
In article <C9x7q...@world.std.com> chad...@world.std.com (Chadwick Ngan) writes:

>>- Imagawa is as different from Kobayashi as night and day. Really
>> energetic, and truly excited about his project. His Chinese heroes
>> are inspired by such traditional novels as "Heroes of the Water
>> Margin" and "Bandit Kings of Ancient China".
>
> I thought those two titles are one and the same ....

Chadwick is right. Both "Heroes of the Water Margin" and "Bandit
Kings of Ancient China" are correct English translations for Suikoden
Suho-Jun in Korean). Suikoden is one of my favorite novel of all time and
I've probably read it more than 200 times. :)

Tonghyun "Vajra" Kim
tk...@sdcc3.ucsd.edu
"To defeat your enemy, you have to defeat your friends first."
- Naga from Kanzaka Hajime's Slayers! -

Michael Liu

Jul 10, 1993, 1:35:47 AM7/10/93

In a previous article, tk...@sdcc3.ucsd.edu (Tonghyun Kim) says:

>Chadwick is right. Both "Heroes of the Water Margin" and "Bandit
>Kings of Ancient China" are correct English translations for Suikoden

>(Suho-Jun in Korean). Suikoden is one of my favorite novel of all time and

>I've probably read it more than 200 times. :)

"Shuay Hoo Juan" in Chinese. Gees, how many ways are there to pronounce
the same three Kanjis? Anyway, I liked the comic book parody on the novel
done by a Hong Kong artist at least 15 years ago better.

Michael Liu
ae...@freenet.carleton.ca

Tonghyun Kim

Jul 10, 1993, 2:15:05 AM7/10/93
In article <C9xov...@freenet.carleton.ca> ae...@Freenet.carleton.ca (Michael Liu) writes:

>"Shuay Hoo Juan" in Chinese. Gees, how many ways are there to pronounce
>the same three Kanjis?

Beats me. But I'm pretty sure that there are more than three. :-)

>Anyway, I liked the comic book parody on the novel
>done by a Hong Kong artist at least 15 years ago better.

I don't know how to pronounce the guy's name in Chinese but I almost
killed myself laughing when I read the parody of Suikoden by a
reknowned Taiwanese artist. The same guy also did several parody
mangas based on Chinese classics.

Terry Yeung

Jul 10, 1993, 3:13:57 AM7/10/93
In article <C9x5K...@cbnewsl.cb.att.com> co...@cbnewsl.cb.att.com (E. Kontei) writes:

>Pre-Registration:
>- This was *really* fast. The schedule of events wasn't there, but it was
> delivered just a while later. Sterling job.

Those are the incentives of registering early. You get your badge
and packet early and the lines are much quicker. Would you believe
Pre-Registration would have been about 25% faster had I not screwed up the
sorting on the badge list.

And while I'm at it I should give my thanks to all those who worked
so dilegently at the convention: Peti Arunamata, Santi Arunamata, Todd
Whitesel, Karl Mehlhaff, Ben Tsai, Richard Paw, Craig Wong, Ching Fei-Chang,
Jenny Pai, Lunatic. And special thanks to Philip Yee and James Brookes who
were not on reg staff this year but came by to give us a hand anyways.

--
Terry Yeung \ Internet: ter...@ocf.berkeley.edu
Assay Technology, Chemist \ Or: ar...@cleveland.freenet.edu

David Mou

Jul 10, 1993, 3:17:27 AM7/10/93
In article <51...@sdcc12.ucsd.edu> tk...@sdcc3.ucsd.edu (Tonghyun Kim) writes:

"Shuey^2 Hu^3 Dran^4" sounds about right. Not official Romanization of
course.

>I don't know how to pronounce the guy's name in Chinese but I almost
>killed myself laughing when I read the parody of Suikoden by a
>reknowned Taiwanese artist. The same guy also did several parody
>mangas based on Chinese classics.

You don't say, I didn't know you're a Tsai Je-Chung fan as well (assuming
we are talking about the same guy). Tsai did a whole bunch of parodies
based on historical Chinese novels, and he also did some (very impressive)
interpretations of famous Chinese philosophers in comic form. What got
him famous is of course the "Great Drunken Swordsman" anthologies. I think
he's the best Taiwanese comic artist to date. (Chen Wen? Who's dat?)
Every true Taiwanese studying abroad should have a stash of Tsai comics
next to his Jing Yong's on his night stand.

dnab
"Alt.manga? What's that?"

awo...@pearl.tufts.edu

Jul 10, 1993, 4:11:49 AM7/10/93
In article <51...@sdcc12.ucsd.edu>, tk...@sdcc3.ucsd.edu (Tonghyun Kim) writes:
> In article <C9xov...@freenet.carleton.ca> ae...@Freenet.carleton.ca (Michael Liu) writes:
>>
>>"Shuay Hoo Juan" in Chinese. Gees, how many ways are there to pronounce
>>the same three Kanjis?
>
> Beats me. But I'm pretty sure that there are more than three. :-)

One each Chinese dialects, there will be one pronouncation, and Chinese have
over 500 (?) dialects...

>>Anyway, I liked the comic book parody on the novel
>>done by a Hong Kong artist at least 15 years ago better.

That version was done by a artists named 'Wong Ja' ( last name first ), the
name of the manga is called 'Lu Fu ji'. This manga is still around but it is
rumored that his son draw it now. Besides 'Shua Uoo Juen', who changed to 'Shua
Fu Juen', there are two parodies called 'Ku Ro Chuen' ( Old Village ) and
'Mane Kuei Oku' ( Haunted House ). Also, 'Shua Fu Juen' was animated into a
movie about 10 years ago but I can't find a copy anywhere, but I got lucky and
got the three books that has the whole story of 'Shua Fu Juen' couple years ago
in readable condition in some book store in China Town...

> I don't know how to pronounce the guy's name in Chinese but I almost
> killed myself laughing when I read the parody of Suikoden by a
> reknowned Taiwanese artist. The same guy also did several parody
> mangas based on Chinese classics.

His name 'Choi Chi Cheung', ( Last name first ) he is famous really famous for
doing those kind of mangas.

> Tonghyun "Vajra" Kim
> tk...@sdcc3.ucsd.edu
> "To defeat your enemy, you have to defeat your friends first."
> - Naga from Kanzaka Hajime's Slayers! -

--Alex, ultra-combine of D.S., Dio, and Vega

Tonghyun Kim

Jul 10, 1993, 4:17:13 AM7/10/93
In article <2C3E6D0...@news.service.uci.edu> dm...@orion.oac.uci.edu (David Mou) writes:
>You don't say, I didn't know you're a Tsai Je-Chung fan as well (assuming
>we are talking about the same guy). Tsai did a whole bunch of parodies
>based on historical Chinese novels, and he also did some (very impressive)
>interpretations of famous Chinese philosophers in comic form. What got
>him famous is of course the "Great Drunken Swordsman" anthologies. I think
>he's the best Taiwanese comic artist to date. (Chen Wen? Who's dat?)
>Every true Taiwanese studying abroad should have a stash of Tsai comics
>next to his Jing Yong's on his night stand.

Thanks for the info on how to pronounce his name in Chinese. :) His
name is pronounced Che Ji-Chung in Korean.

I fully agree with you that he is the best Taiwanese comic artist.
In fact, he is the only Taiwanese comic artist I like so far. I
think I have about 20 volumes of his manga back in Korea.

P.S. You'll never see your Sailor Moon cards again. <g>

Michael Liu

Jul 10, 1993, 5:51:31 AM7/10/93

In a previous article, awo...@pearl.tufts.edu () says:

>>>"Shuay Hoo Juan" in Chinese. Gees, how many ways are there to pronounce
>>>the same three Kanjis?
>>
>> Beats me. But I'm pretty sure that there are more than three. :-)
>
>One each Chinese dialects, there will be one pronouncation, and Chinese have
>over 500 (?) dialects...

Not necessarily. Chinese dialects are similar (I've yet to hear one which
I can't understand at all. I can understand the Hunan dialect, for
example, but I can't speak it--it's like Mandarin with an accent.) in many
ways, and many pronunciations duplicate among them. In fact, most, if not all
Japanese pronunciations of Kanjis can be found in a Chinese dialect, but
not Mandarin. (Gee, I wonder where Japanese came from? :)

>That version was done by a artists named 'Wong Ja' ( last name first ), the
>name of the manga is called 'Lu Fu ji'. This manga is still around but it is
>rumored that his son draw it now. Besides 'Shua Uoo Juen', who changed to 'Shua
>Fu Juen', there are two parodies called 'Ku Ro Chuen' ( Old Village ) and
>'Mane Kuei Oku' ( Haunted House ). Also, 'Shua Fu Juen' was animated into a
>movie about 10 years ago but I can't find a copy anywhere, but I got lucky and
>got the three books that has the whole story of 'Shua Fu Juen' couple years ago
>in readable condition in some book store in China Town...

I still have all those comics. Is Wong Ja a pen name or the artist's real
one?

Michael Liu
ae...@Freenet.carleton.ca

MegaZone

Jul 10, 1993, 9:45:11 AM7/10/93
In article <C9x7q...@world.std.com> chad...@world.std.com (Chadwick Ngan) writes:
>In article <C9x5K...@cbnewsl.cb.att.com> co...@cbnewsl.cb.att.com (E. Kontei) writes:
>>- Zoner is nothing like I expected. Very interesting man, with good
>> taste in comics. ^_^
> I am curious. Everybody on the net says Zoner is nothing like they
>expected. What *do* they expect him to be anyway? :)

Actually, I'm curious too... What DO people expect me to be like?

#I have one prejudice, and that is against stupidity. Use your mind, think!#
#Email mega...@wpi.wpi.edu Moderator, WPI anime FTP site 130.215.24.1 /anime#
#Moderator, rec.arts.anime.stories Submissions to anime-d...@wpi.wpi.edu#

E. Kontei

Jul 10, 1993, 10:09:19 AM7/10/93
In article <C9x7q...@world.std.com>, chad...@world.std.com (Chadwick Ngan) writes:
> In article <C9x5K...@cbnewsl.cb.att.com> co...@cbnewsl.cb.att.com (E. Kontei) writes:
>
> >- Zoner is nothing like I expected. Very interesting man, with good
> > taste in comics. ^_^
> I am curious. Everybody on the net says Zoner is nothing like they
> expected. What *do* they expect him to be anyway? :)

A little guy with wire-frame glasses. Instead, we get this
hulking thing of a man, with a big wild beard, and voice to match.
The only thing missing was the Harley... ^_^

Everyone says I'm not what they expected. As if I didn't come across as
a hyperactive, egocentric brat on the net. ^_^ What did they expect,
Char Aznable in a Lum t-shirt?

> > "Heroes of the Water Margin" and "Bandit Kings of Ancient China".
>
> I thought those two titles are one and the same ....

Oops. I must admit, my knowledge of traditional Chinese literature
is next to nil. I'll have to correct that situation later today. ^_^

awo...@pearl.tufts.edu

Jul 10, 1993, 11:43:36 PM7/10/93
In article <C9y0p...@freenet.carleton.ca>, ae...@Freenet.carleton.ca
(Michael Liu) writes

>>That version was done by a artists named 'Wong Ja' ( last name first ), the
>>name of the manga is called 'Lu Fu ji'. This manga is still around but it is
>>rumored that his son draw it now. Besides 'Shua Uoo Juen', who changed to 'Shua
>>Fu Juen', there are two parodies called 'Ku Ro Chuen' ( Old Village ) and
>>'Mane Kuei Oku' ( Haunted House ). Also, 'Shua Fu Juen' was animated into a
>>movie about 10 years ago but I can't find a copy anywhere, but I got lucky and
>>got the three books that has the whole story of 'Shua Fu Juen' couple years ago
>>in readable condition in some book store in China Town...
>
> I still have all those comics. Is Wong Ja a pen name or the artist's real
> one?
>
> Michael Liu
> ae...@Freenet.carleton.ca

I really have no idea, sound like it is. Is there anyone out there has a copy
of that animated movie of 'Shua Fu Juen'? I have been looking for it for a very
long time.

Jeff Yang

Jul 11, 1993, 1:48:25 AM7/11/93

Another name for this book is, I think, "All Men Are Brothers."

Chadwick Ngan

Jul 11, 1993, 4:34:06 AM7/11/93
In article <C9yCn...@cbnewsl.cb.att.com> co...@cbnewsl.cb.att.com (E. Kontei) writes:

>> I am curious. Everybody on the net says Zoner is nothing like they
>> expected. What *do* they expect him to be anyway? :)
>
>A little guy with wire-frame glasses. Instead, we get this
>hulking thing of a man, with a big wild beard, and voice to match.
>The only thing missing was the Harley... ^_^

Well ... Zoner didn't have that impressive beard of his a year back.
He was acutally clean shaven once. When I first saw him with that beard I
was quite ... surprised too. :)

>Everyone says I'm not what they expected. As if I didn't come across as
>a hyperactive, egocentric brat on the net. ^_^ What did they expect,
>Char Aznable in a Lum t-shirt?

Most people probably won't expect the conty accent, I'll bet. (Like
I know what I conty accent is ... I have yet to hear it. :)

Chadwick
Sheeta "the Elf"

Cynthia Ma

Jul 10, 1993, 10:36:31 PM7/10/93
Tonghyun Kim (tk...@sdcc3.ucsd.edu) wrote:
> In article <C9xov...@freenet.carleton.ca> ae...@Freenet.carleton.ca (Michael Liu) writes:
> >
> >"Shuay Hoo Juan" in Chinese. Gees, how many ways are there to pronounce
> >the same three Kanjis?

> Beats me. But I'm pretty sure that there are more than three. :-)

"Sui Woo Tsuen" in Cantonese. How about all others thousands of dialects in
China?

> >Anyway, I liked the comic book parody on the novel
> >done by a Hong Kong artist at least 15 years ago better.

> I don't know how to pronounce the guy's name in Chinese but I almost
> killed myself laughing when I read the parody of Suikoden by a
> reknowned Taiwanese artist. The same guy also did several parody
> mangas based on Chinese classics.

That's Choi something in Cantonese. In fact I was really delighted when I
saw some of his mangas (both parody and serious ones) were translated into
English versions. That means it offered the opportunity for Westerners to
appreciate Asian mangas other than those from Japan.

--
Cynthia Ma

Lie and silence can be said to be the two big spreading crimes in our
modern society. In fact, we always tell lies, and fall silent all the time.
However, if we keep talking all the year round and only tell the truth,
perhaps the value of truth will be lost. -- Haruki Murakami
"Listen to the song of wind"

Cynthia Ma

Jul 10, 1993, 10:38:14 PM7/10/93
David Mou (dm...@orion.oac.uci.edu) wrote:

> Every true Taiwanese studying abroad should have a stash of Tsai comics
> next to his Jing Yong's on his night stand.

Not only Taiwanese! Every Chinese should do so too!

Hitoshi Doi

Jul 11, 1993, 8:13:03 PM7/11/93
In article <C9x5K...@cbnewsl.cb.att.com>, co...@cbnewsl.cb.att.com (E. Kontei) writes:
| How I Spent My Summer Vacation, Part II
| by Enrique Conty, age 26

Are we going to start making a birthday list of r.a.a. people? :-)

| Netters and personalities:

| - Hitoshi Doi came with his beautiful wife and lovely little kid (not to
| mention his cel collection, UFO catcher dolls, and Sailor Moon candy).
| Take "Tenchi" from Tenchi Muyou, add a few years, and that's Hitoshi.

I never noticed that I looked like Tenchi..
I wonder when all of those pictures being taken will turn up as GIFs.

| - There were some weird items in the auction, but The Bag takes the cake.
| A manila envelope, the kind used by Sunrise to ship animation cels from
| one department to another. It had the phone extensions for all Sunrise
| departments on it, and it is rumored it was touched by Yoshiyuki Tomino!!
| It sold for $1, a true bargain (you tell me where you can buy a sturdy
| cel-sized envelope for $1 nowadays!).

Should I start keeping the ones I get for next year? :-)
I usually just throw them away.
(most of them are from Ashi Productions)

--
Hitoshi Doi, Cel Hunter Toshi d...@jrd.dec.com

Richard Tse-Woon Paw

Jul 12, 1993, 4:18:01 PM7/12/93
In article <51...@sdcc12.ucsd.edu> tk...@sdcc3.ucsd.edu (Tonghyun Kim) writes:
>In article <C9xov...@freenet.carleton.ca> ae...@Freenet.carleton.ca (Michael Liu) writes:
>>
>>"Shuay Hoo Juan" in Chinese. Gees, how many ways are there to pronounce
>>the same three Kanjis?
>
>Beats me. But I'm pretty sure that there are more than three. :-)

Let's see, Japanese, Mandarin, Cantonese, Fukien, Hakka, Shanghai-wa, and
a few dozen others, not counting sub-dialects of the above. Many, many
different ways.

>>Anyway, I liked the comic book parody on the novel
>>done by a Hong Kong artist at least 15 years ago better.
>
>I don't know how to pronounce the guy's name in Chinese but I almost
>killed myself laughing when I read the parody of Suikoden by a
>reknowned Taiwanese artist. The same guy also did several parody
>mangas based on Chinese classics.

I gotta get a copy of some of these. I actually read Water Margin.

--
Richard Tse-Woon Paw Within each man is the most powerful weapon
rp...@ocf.berkeley.edu on Earth. --- The human mind

Michael Studte

Jul 15, 1993, 9:28:22 AM7/15/93

In article <CA0z9...@jrd.dec.com> d...@jrd.dec.com writes:
> | How I Spent My Summer Vacation, Part II
> | by Enrique Conty, age 26
>
> Are we going to start making a birthday list of r.a.a. people? :-)

Why not? We've now got the pictures to go with it. :)

> I never noticed that I looked like Tenchi..
> I wonder when all of those pictures being taken will turn up as GIFs.

Soon, real soon. :)

| Michael Studte, 46 Hackbridge Way, Bayswater 6053, Australia |
| Japanese Animation Fans of Western Australia +------------+
| Ryooko Intergalactic Fan Club + Team H Australia|
+-------------------------------+-----------------+

Ryan Mathews

Jul 27, 1993, 2:23:28 PM7/27/93

In a previous article, mic...@izumi.DIALix.oz.au (Michael Studte) says:

>In article <CA0z9...@jrd.dec.com> d...@jrd.dec.com writes:
> > | How I Spent My Summer Vacation, Part II
> > | by Enrique Conty, age 26

Hey, whoa, 26? Cool! I just turned 26 on July 9th! And here I was,
feeling a bit bummed, thinking that, in terms of the predominantly
college-aged anime fandom, I was now officially "old". :-) But, heck,
if one of anime's "superfans" can be 26, I can be! :-) :-)

> > Are we going to start making a birthday list of r.a.a. people? :-)
>
>Why not? We've now got the pictures to go with it. :)

Well, if you want mine, you'll have to buy a copy of IKUZE! (details
forthcoming). :-) I don't have my picture taken very often...

---------- Ryan Mathews
--
Email: bn...@cleveland.freenet.edu DISCLAIMER: Any resemblence of this
Snailmail: 786 High Street article to rational thought is

Jim Ogle (Ks. Jim)

Aug 1, 1993, 2:57:18 AM8/1/93
In article <> gav...@venice.mps.ohio-state.edu (Ryan P. Gavigan) writes:

>>Hmmm, so that makes Conty, Tonghyun, you and me ALL vintage 1967!!!
>>Definitely a good year for otakus! :)
>>
>>Roll out the wheelchairs. :)
>>
> Gaver-sensei can wheel ya around.

I refuse to be wheeled around! I can get by fine with my walker, ya
young whippersnapper....

For the record, I'm vintage 1966. Sigh, I thought we weren't supposed
to feel old until our 40's! 8-)

--
Kansas Jim, TORG guru (jo...@aoc.nrao.edu, NRAO-VLBA, Socorro New Mexico)
"I'd be apathetic if I cared."

Hitoshi Doi

Aug 1, 1993, 8:28:42 AM8/1/93
mic...@izumi.DIALix.oz.au (Michael Studte) writes:

| > Hey, whoa, 26? Cool! I just turned 26 on July 9th! And here I was,
| > feeling a bit bummed, thinking that, in terms of the predominantly
| > college-aged anime fandom, I was now officially "old". :-) But, heck,
| > if one of anime's "superfans" can be 26, I can be! :-) :-)
|
| Hmmm, so that makes Conty, Tonghyun, you and me ALL vintage 1967!!!
| Definitely a good year for otakus! :)
|
| Roll out the wheelchairs. :)

You guys are still young! Use walking sticks..
Give me the wheelchair.
--
Hitoshi Doi, Toshi Nibunnoichi d...@jrd.dec.com
half a UFO catcher doll, half a cel [from JUNET: d...@jrd.dec-j.co.jp]

The Feddie Punk of Solomon

Aug 1, 1993, 1:25:33 PM8/1/93
In article <-134175...@izumi.DIALix.oz.au> mic...@izumi.DIALix.oz.au (Michael Studte) writes:

>So I noticed. At both conventions it was always "Wow, Ryan Mathews is
>downstairs", but there seems to be 0 recorded evidence. :) At least I
>captured Conty on video. :)

Well, I saw Ryan with my own three eyes. Then again, I saw Elvis at the
cornet drugstore. ^_^

| Albert Wong - "Anime Expo '93 Movie: I Want to Return to That Hotel" |
+-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Internet : alb...@netcom.com | Compu$erve : 72657,2103 |
| Prodigy : WJTM10B | Genie : A.Wong7 |
+-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+

Starbuck

Aug 2, 1993, 9:55:54 AM8/2/93

> > Hey, whoa, 26? Cool! I just turned 26 on July 9th! And here I was,
> > feeling a bit bummed, thinking that, in terms of the predominantly
> > college-aged anime fandom, I was now officially "old". :-) But, heck,
> > if one of anime's "superfans" can be 26, I can be! :-) :-)
>

> Hmmm, so that makes Conty, Tonghyun, you and me ALL vintage 1967!!!
> Definitely a good year for otakus! :)
>
> Roll out the wheelchairs. :)

Ouch! I'm older than all you guys? (I'm 27, born in '65...)

Hmmm.. How about a Birthday list of net.otaku's... (Today is Dani's
21st!) I'll even maintain it!

Steve
---
Stephen Pearl (Starbuck) Work: (908)932-3465 Home: (908)566-6842
Internet: pe...@remus.rutgers.edu FidoNet: I need a node!
US MAIL: 359 Lloyd Rd, Aberdeen, NJ 07747-1826 GEnie: S.Pearl6
QUOTES: "What is Starbuck-ing?" -Adultress 19
"Works for me!" -Rick Hunter (The Cop, not the Robotech Defender)

Lyrical Dani-chan

Aug 2, 1993, 10:58:44 AM8/2/93
In article <Aug.2.09.55....@romulus.rutgers.edu> pe...@romulus.rutgers.edu (Starbuck) writes:
>Ouch! I'm older than all you guys? (I'm 27, born in '65...)
>
>Hmmm.. How about a Birthday list of net.otaku's... (Today is Dani's
>21st!) I'll even maintain it!

Heh heh heh, yep today is my b-day..but please no picutures, cos I am NOT
cute..^_^; You all know how it is ^_^

(Muhahahahaha, now I can do things legally ^_^)
@_@;
--
gai...@venice.mps.ohio-state.edu----Lyrical Dani-chan
And if you look, you look through me...And if you talk it's not to me...

The Kimagure Orange College People

Aug 2, 1993, 11:18:49 AM8/2/93
In article <1993Aug2.1...@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu> gai...@venice.mps.ohio-state.edu (Lyrical Dani-chan) writes:
>In article <Aug.2.09.55....@romulus.rutgers.edu> pe...@romulus.rutgers.edu (Starbuck) writes:
>>Ouch! I'm older than all you guys? (I'm 27, born in '65...)

By coincidence, so am I. I was born in '66.

>>Hmmm.. How about a Birthday list of net.otaku's... (Today is Dani's
>>21st!) I'll even maintain it!
>
>Heh heh heh, yep today is my b-day..but please no picutures, cos I am NOT
>cute..^_^; You all know how it is ^_^

My experience is that people rarely think highly of their own
appearance (exceptions of course), because we're always looking
at TV and movies characters and make comparisons.

Of course this includes anime characters...:-)
I'm sure we all have favorite characters we'd rather look more like
right? :-)

BTW, my birthday was 7/9/66, so I just turned 27.

>(Muhahahahaha, now I can do things legally ^_^)
>@_@;

But that takes all the fun out of it...:-)

Stephen Tsai

Andy (The Android) Combs | Kasuga: Kimura just isn't the sort who gets into
Stephen (The Chunk) Tsai | that kind of mess...And if she *did*...if she
aco...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu| *is*...I mean, who'd she...do it *with*?

Watch for the doujinshi! | Kimagure Orange College Episode #11

The Feddie Punk of Solomon

Aug 2, 1993, 12:30:18 PM8/2/93
>Ouch! I'm older than all you guys? (I'm 27, born in '65...)

Hmmm...doesn't that make you 28? '93-'65=28 ^_^;

David Blume

Aug 2, 1993, 1:52:07 PM8/2/93
alb...@netcom.com (The Feddie Punk of Solomon) writes:
>pe...@romulus.rutgers.edu (Starbuck) writes:
>>
>>Ouch! I'm older than all you guys? (I'm 27, born in '65...)
>
>Hmmm...doesn't that make you 28? '93-'65=28 ^_^;

That depends on when your birthday is. (Before or after today's date in each
calendar year.)

I'm 26. Born Dec 28th '66.

--David
| David Blume | "A, Ayukawa!" | "Moemichan! | Member Shampoo, Ryooko |
| bl...@twg.com | "Kasuga-kuun..." | SUKIDA!!" | Intl' Fan Clubs |

Simon E. Booth

Aug 2, 1993, 2:07:09 PM8/2/93

>> > Hey, whoa, 26? Cool! I just turned 26 on July 9th! And here I was,
>> > feeling a bit bummed, thinking that, in terms of the predominantly
>> > college-aged anime fandom, I was now officially "old". :-) But, heck,
>> > if one of anime's "superfans" can be 26, I can be! :-) :-)
>>
>> Hmmm, so that makes Conty, Tonghyun, you and me ALL vintage 1967!!!
>> Definitely a good year for otakus! :)
>>
>> Roll out the wheelchairs. :)

Perhaps you all could race me- I'm an expert ChairOpTech :-)

I'm working on a film called 'Personal Mobility Unit 0093- War Against The
Pedestrians.' :-) :-)

>Ouch! I'm older than all you guys? (I'm 27, born in '65...)

I just turned 23 last week, but I'm not yet an otaku (but I've already got
the chair though :-) )

>Hmmm.. How about a Birthday list of net.otaku's... (Today is Dani's
>21st!) I'll even maintain it!

Mine is 27th of July 1970. But how long does it take to be an otaku? :-)
And does occasional anime viewing as a child count? I have a vague memory
of watching 'Speed Racer' in the early 70's, and I was watching 'Battle
Of The Planets' and 'StarBlazers' when I was 8 and 9. So, am I an otaku?
:-)

Simon

Into the long darkness- Alone in the unknown-|Simon E. Booth (Epsilon class)
I see nothing ahead of me- |email: sbo...@lonestar.utsa.edu
Smashed under the treads of fate-
The future is now only a distant memory. ('Transition: Into the Unknown',1993)

Starbuck

Aug 2, 1993, 6:04:16 PM8/2/93
In article <albertwC...@netcom.com> alb...@netcom.com (The Feddie Punk of Solomon) writes:

> In article <Aug.2.09.55....@romulus.rutgers.edu> pe...@romulus.rutgers.edu (Starbuck) writes:
> >
> >Ouch! I'm older than all you guys? (I'm 27, born in '65...)
>
> Hmmm...doesn't that make you 28? '93-'65=28 ^_^;

Not if you were born near the end of the year... November 28th! ^_^

Jason F Harvey

Aug 2, 1993, 6:27:44 PM8/2/93
In article <Aug.2.18.04....@romulus.rutgers.edu> pe...@romulus.rutgers.edu (Starbuck) writes:
>In article <albertwC...@netcom.com> alb...@netcom.com (The Feddie Punk of Solomon) writes:
>
>> In article <Aug.2.09.55....@romulus.rutgers.edu> pe...@romulus.rutgers.edu (Starbuck) writes:
>> >
>> >Ouch! I'm older than all you guys? (I'm 27, born in '65...)
>>
>> Hmmm...doesn't that make you 28? '93-'65=28 ^_^;
>

>Not if you were born near the end of the year... November 28th! ^_^

Wow...so does that mean I should start calling you oji-chan? ^o^

-Jei Haavi (Vintage 1973....what a good year ^_^)

* Jay Harvey * Akron Animation Association VP * go...@gnu.ai.mit.edu *
* 903 Orrin St * Anime Hasshin member * bs...@hela.ins.cwru.edu *
* Akron, OH 44320 * Yawara! Tsuyoshi! Tyler! * r3...@dax.cc.uakron.edu *
* "Barney & Pauly Shore are 2 of the 7 signs of Armageddon." -Jei Haavi *

Sarah Brundage

Aug 2, 1993, 7:08:02 PM8/2/93
In article <1993Aug1.0...@Mr-Hyde.aoc.nrao.edu>,

jo...@Mr-Hyde.aoc.nrao.edu (Jim Ogle (Ks. Jim)) wrote:

> For the record, I'm vintage 1966. Sigh, I thought we weren't supposed
> to feel old until our 40's! 8-)

How about being bombarded by the info that you'll be 20 next year...and
you haven't even turned 19 yet!
I can boast of feeling in such a manner.
Sarah (a.k.a. The Fangirl)
I'm a replicant and proud of it.
sb...@oregon.uoregon.edu

Sarah Brundage

Aug 2, 1993, 7:15:21 PM8/2/93
In article <1993Aug2.1...@ringer.cs.utsa.edu>,

It's only possible to be an otaku if you're over the age of 13, the
accepted age of when to stop watching cartoons. If you're under that, you
were just watching TV. However, one could maintain that once on otaku,
always an otaku, and you were an otaku then.:)

Put me in as being 8-23-74, BTW.

Samuel DrAllosaurs Crider

Aug 2, 1993, 11:06:22 PM8/2/93
1/24/63

...babies.

Samuel "Dr. Allosaurus" Crider
Computer Graphics Lab Coordinator
Columbia College Chicago
DrAllo...@cup.portal.com

Curt Howland

Aug 3, 1993, 12:21:52 AM8/3/93
DrAllo...@cup.portal.com (Samuel DrAllosaurs Crider) writes:
|> 1/24/63
|>
|> ...babies.

5/30/63

Kusso, beaten by 4 months.

Curt-

PS Has someone gotten an american ICZER
license yet? Just saw the first movie
untranslated, and I think I need subs
or a script. If it's been dubbed, then
forget I asked.

---
Curt Howland how...@nsipo.nasa.gov
The above does not constitute an official
statement of NASA or anyone else.

The Feddie Punk of Solomon

Aug 3, 1993, 1:13:44 AM8/3/93
In article <1993Aug3.0...@news.arc.nasa.gov> how...@noc.arc.nasa.gov (Curt Howland) writes:

>PS Has someone gotten an american ICZER
> license yet? Just saw the first movie
> untranslated, and I think I need subs
> or a script. If it's been dubbed, then
> forget I asked.

I think the USRenditions mob has Iczer. Don't know if it;s out tho'

Jim Ogle (Ks. Jim)

Aug 3, 1993, 1:42:25 AM8/3/93
In article <mumble> how...@noc.arc.nasa.gov (Curt Howland) writes:

>PS Has someone gotten an american ICZER
> license yet? Just saw the first movie
> untranslated, and I think I need subs
> or a script. If it's been dubbed, then
> forget I asked.

Sorry Curt, it's been dubbed (by US Renditions, I think).

Scripts for Iczer are available at the ftp sites - try
venice.mps.ohio-state.edu, I think that's where I got mine from.

Christopher Leung

Aug 3, 1993, 5:07:01 AM8/3/93
Hmmmmm..... My birtday is on October 22. Of course I may be classified as the
yougest net.otaku since I was born in 1974 and I'm 18 at the moment.

Steve: Can you confirm this? :)

Christopher Leung Internet: max...@access.cs.uwindsor.ca
"Save your energy, save speed, and then save your life."
- Leon McNicol

Christopher Leung

Aug 3, 1993, 5:49:10 AM8/3/93
Just to let everybody know, I'm back from my trip to Hong Kong. I must say it
has been a sucessful trip as I have gathered CD's, books, and a model for
myself. I also help a few individuals with some of their things and mailed it
out. I'm sure they are all very happy with their products. (I'm sounding like
a salesman now, neh?)

Some things I picked up at really good prices include a Wings Gold CD and a
few other nifty things.

Now that I'm back, I'll be doing the compilations of Advance Comics again and
this should be done as soon as I take a trip to the local comic store to
collect all the things that have accumulated in my file since I left for my
vacation (the moths are going to be flying out of my wallet this time! :( )
Anyways, expect the compilation soon and let me say this: It's good to be
home! (of course Internet is my second home...)

Starbuck

Aug 3, 1993, 8:13:19 AM8/3/93

In article <1993Aug3.0...@news.arc.nasa.gov> how...@noc.arc.nasa.gov (Curt Howland) writes:
> PS Has someone gotten an american ICZER
> license yet? Just saw the first movie
> untranslated, and I think I need subs
> or a script. If it's been dubbed, then
> forget I asked.

I guess I should forget I asked as it has been released in dubbed
format by US Renditions.

Starbuck

Aug 3, 1993, 8:14:03 AM8/3/93
In article <46...@newsserver.cs.uwindsor.ca> max...@server.uwindsor.ca (Christopher Leung) writes:

> Hmmmmm..... My birtday is on October 22. Of course I may be classified as the
> yougest net.otaku since I was born in 1974 and I'm 18 at the moment.
>
> Steve: Can you confirm this? :)

Yes! So far, you've got the honour! Any other contenders?

ho...@vaxb.acs.unt.edu

Aug 3, 1993, 1:07:30 PM8/3/93
In article <sbrun-020...@fp1-cc-10.uoregon.edu>, sb...@oregon.uoregon.edu (Sarah Brundage) writes:
> In article <1993Aug2.1...@ringer.cs.utsa.edu>,
> sbo...@lonestar.utsa.edu (Simon E. Booth) wrote:

Wheelchairs!?!?!?! Come ON, children! :) *I can say this, being a vintage
1960... and I can remember first run _Atom Boy_... let alone _Battle of the
Planets_, _Speed Racer_ and the rest! :)*

> It's only possible to be an otaku if you're over the age of 13, the
> accepted age of when to stop watching cartoons. If you're under that, you
> were just watching TV. However, one could maintain that once on otaku,
> always an otaku, and you were an otaku then.:)

I suppose that makes me one too..... :)

> Put me in as being 8-23-74, BTW.
>
> Sarah (a.k.a. The Fangirl)
> I'm a replicant and proud of it.
> sb...@oregon.uoregon.edu

For the record? 12-10-60

Carol
Ho...@vaxb.acs.unt.edu

Macky Stingray

Aug 3, 1993, 1:15:34 PM8/3/93
>> Hmmmmm.... My birtday is on October 22. Of course I may be classified as the

>> yougest net.otaku since I was born in 1974 and I'm 18 at the moment.
>> Steve: Can you confirm this? :)
>Yes! So far, you've got the honour! Any other contenders?

Muahahaha! You've got nothing on me, jisan! I'm 17, 9/29/75 and
Genma (kok...@bvsd.k12.co.us) is even younger than I am. :]
^^^^^^ I mean really, shouldn't it be obvious? ^_^

-Ben

Kevin M. Chin

Aug 3, 1993, 1:09:52 PM8/3/93

Starbuck> In article <46...@newsserver.cs.uwindsor.ca> max...@server.uwindsor.ca (Christopher Leung) writes:
> Hmmmmm..... My birtday is on October 22. Of course I may be classified as the
> yougest net.otaku since I was born in 1974 and I'm 18 at the moment.
>
> Steve: Can you confirm this? :)

Starbuck> Yes! So far, you've got the honour! Any other contenders?

Not me, but I'll contend for the other end of the scale. (1962 here).

Kevin
Kevin Chin "I've done...questionable things." Texas Instruments
ke...@delphi.dseg.ti.com Dallas, Texas

jamal hassan

Aug 3, 1993, 2:16:17 PM8/3/93
In article <46...@newsserver.cs.uwindsor.ca> max...@server.uwindsor.ca (Christopher Leung) writes:
>Hmmmmm..... My birtday is on October 22. Of course I may be classified as the
>yougest net.otaku since I was born in 1974 and I'm 18 at the moment.

Argh. No fair. No fair. I've been beat by 1 year and two days (My DOB is
10/20/73.) Hmm. Maybe two years ago when I first started reading r.a.a. I
qualified as youngest.

>Christopher Leung Internet: max...@access.cs.uwindsor.ca

--
hass...@dekalb.dc.peachnet.edu (Jamal Hassan) -- member of Anime-X of Atlanta
!akaB !akaB !akaB...!akab on amnaR -- uodneT enakA

brian.w.rogers

Aug 3, 1993, 3:05:52 PM8/3/93
In article <KEVIN.93A...@romulus.dseg.ti.com>, ke...@romulus.dseg.ti.com (Kevin M. Chin) writes:
> Starbuck> In article <46...@newsserver.cs.uwindsor.ca> max...@server.uwindsor.ca (Christopher Leung) writes:
> > Hmmmmm..... My birtday is on October 22. Of course I may be classified as the
> > yougest net.otaku since I was born in 1974 and I'm 18 at the moment.
> >
> > Steve: Can you confirm this? :)
>
> Starbuck> Yes! So far, you've got the honour! Any other contenders?
>
> Not me, but I'll contend for the other end of the scale. (1962 here).
>

> Kevin

I'll contend for this end of the scale too Kevin. As in my previous post
I'm 32 (ie. 1960). So there!

Brian Rogers
rac...@nwsrs.att.com

Kiyoshi Okuma

Aug 3, 1993, 3:28:31 PM8/3/93
In article <46...@newsserver.cs.uwindsor.ca> max...@server.uwindsor.ca (Christopher Leung) writes:
>Hmmmmm..... My birtday is on October 22. Of course I may be classified as the
>yougest net.otaku since I was born in 1974 and I'm 18 at the moment.
>
>Steve: Can you confirm this? :)

OH WOW YOU ARE WAYYYYYY OFF THIS TIME... there are a bunch of much
younger net otakus.. including myself.. I'll let them speak for themselves
tho. :) born: 1976 and 16 at the moment.

>Christopher Leung Internet: max...@access.cs.uwindsor.ca
>"Save your energy, save speed, and then save your life."
> - Leon McNicol

-Genma
--
| Kiyoshi Okuma - kok...@bvsd.k12.co.us | Otaku Gen.'93 |Genma@IRC&AnimeMUCK|
| Residence: ABSTRACT PROGRAMMING INC? & KONSINN | AnimeCostumePlay Oct. 31!|

Kevin M. Chin

Aug 3, 1993, 5:21:12 PM8/3/93
brian.w.rogers> In article <KEVIN.93A...@romulus.dseg.ti.com>, ke...@romulus.dseg.ti.com (Kevin M. Chin) writes:

> Not me, but I'll contend for the other end of the scale. (1962 here).

brian.w.rogers> I'll contend for this end of the scale too Kevin. As in my previous post
brian.w.rogers> I'm 32 (ie. 1960). So there!

Errrr. Let's learn 'em young whippersnappers a thing or two. :)

Jerry Qassar

Aug 3, 1993, 8:54:43 PM8/3/93
bcan...@nyx.cs.du.edu (Macky Stingray) writes:

> In article <Aug.3.08.14....@romulus.rutgers.edu> pe...@romulus.rutg
> >In article <46...@newsserver.cs.uwindsor.ca> max...@server.uwindsor.ca (Chris

> >> Hmmmmm.... My birtday is on October 22. Of course I may be classified as

> >> yougest net.otaku since I was born in 1974 and I'm 18 at the moment.
> >> Steve: Can you confirm this? :)
> >Yes! So far, you've got the honour! Any other contenders?
>
> Muahahaha! You've got nothing on me, jisan! I'm 17, 9/29/75 and
> Genma (kok...@bvsd.k12.co.us) is even younger than I am. :]
> ^^^^^^ I mean really, shouldn't it be obvious? ^_^
>
> -Ben

Well, HOW much younger?

I was born 3/20/76.

-=StarSlayer=-

--
INTERNET: ssl...@netlink.nix.com (Jerry Qassar)
UUCP: ...!ryptyde!netlink!sslayer

Simon E. Booth

Aug 4, 1993, 12:32:15 AM8/4/93

But I realize that I did not fully understand the significance of what anime
was all about until only a year or so ago. However, my interest has really
taken off, after recent viewings of Akira, Project Ak-O, and Devil Hunter
Yohko (sp?).

I might not be an expert, but I do cringe when I hear someone refer to
anime as 'those Japanese cartoons! :-)

> Put me in as being 8-23-74, BTW.

Hey! A birthday coming up! :-)

>Sarah (a.k.a. The Fangirl)
>I'm a replicant and proud of it.
>sb...@oregon.uoregon.edu

Simon

Simon E. Booth

Aug 4, 1993, 12:36:32 AM8/4/93
In article <1993Aug3...@vaxb.acs.unt.edu> ho...@vaxb.acs.unt.edu writes:
>In article <sbrun-020...@fp1-cc-10.uoregon.edu>, sb...@oregon.uoregon.edu (Sarah Brundage) writes:
>> In article <1993Aug2.1...@ringer.cs.utsa.edu>,
>> sbo...@lonestar.utsa.edu (Simon E. Booth) wrote:

I'd like to roll mine right into the nearest scrapheap! :-)

Starbuck

Aug 4, 1993, 8:22:06 AM8/4/93

> In article <46...@newsserver.cs.uwindsor.ca> max...@server.uwindsor.ca (Christopher Leung) writes:
>
> > Hmmmmm..... My birtday is on October 22. Of course I may be classified as the
> > yougest net.otaku since I was born in 1974 and I'm 18 at the moment.
> >
> > Steve: Can you confirm this? :)

Actually, Margaret Lum, who posted here a week or so ago wrt her
artwork (send her $2 for postage to receive a sample of her art) wins
hands down!

Btw, Everyone: If you wish to be included in the raa birthday list,
please email me your name, birthdate (including year) a nickname (IRC
handle or anything else you are otherwise known by on the net, and
email address)

Thanks!

Starbuck

Aug 4, 1993, 8:23:44 AM8/4/93

> Starbuck> In article <46...@newsserver.cs.uwindsor.ca> max...@server.uwindsor.ca (Christopher Leung) writes:
> > Hmmmmm..... My birtday is on October 22. Of course I may be classified as the
> > yougest net.otaku since I was born in 1974 and I'm 18 at the moment.
> >
> > Steve: Can you confirm this? :)
>
> Starbuck> Yes! So far, you've got the honour! Any other contenders?
>
> Not me, but I'll contend for the other end of the scale. (1962 here).

Nope! Carol Hoeke has that honour. Btw, I need the month and day
too.

Travis Prebble

Aug 4, 1993, 12:38:18 PM8/4/93
pe...@romulus.rutgers.edu (Starbuck) writes:

> In article <1993Aug3.0...@news.arc.nasa.gov> how...@noc.arc.nasa.gov

> > PS Has someone gotten an american ICZER
> > license yet? Just saw the first movie
> > untranslated, and I think I need subs
> > or a script. If it's been dubbed, then
> > forget I asked.
>

> I guess I should forget I asked as it has been released in dubbed
> format by US Renditions.
>

> Steve
> ---
> Stephen Pearl (Starbuck) Work: (908)932-3465 Home: (908)566-6842
> Internet: pe...@remus.rutgers.edu FidoNet: I need a node!
> US MAIL: 359 Lloyd Rd, Aberdeen, NJ 07747-1826 GEnie: S.Pearl6
> QUOTES: "What is Starbuck-ing?" -Adultress 19
> "Works for me!" -Rick Hunter (The Cop, not the Robotech Defender)

And a terrible dub it is. Borrow it, maybe, but never buy it. :)

----------------------------------------------------------///\------------
Travis Prebble @ Heart of Gold BBS (814) 238-9633 /// \
INet address: cru...@hogbbs.scol.pa.us \\\///----\
(814) 353-9069 \XX/ \ MIGA
TARDIS Express: When it absolutely, positively has to be there yesterday.
"The depth of my vexation is beyond your comprehension!" - Daitokuji B-ko

Michael Studte

Aug 4, 1993, 9:07:32 AM8/4/93

In article <Aug.2.18.04....@romulus.rutgers.edu> pe...@romulus.rutgers.edu writes:
> Not if you were born near the end of the year... November 28th! ^_^

HA! Now that it's started, I'm compiling a "TODAY" file with birthdays
of all the otakus in this newsgroup. I got three so far. :)

| Michael Studte, 46 Hackbridge Way, Bayswater 6053, Australia |
| Globetrotting Script Editor | Team H Australia +-------------+
| Japanese Animation Fans of Western Australia +-+

Tony Yip

Aug 4, 1993, 5:16:29 PM8/4/93

BWAHAHAHAH!!! You both lost! Beaten by a girl!!! Did you
guys forget that Lum-Chan is the youngest net.otaku since
she's only 15!!!! Better luck next year.... ya' old foggies!

- Parn

--
---
| Tony Yip | Internet: ty...@ic.sunysb.edu |

Daniel Pawtowski

Aug 5, 1993, 5:16:26 AM8/5/93
In article <-134142...@izumi.dialix.oz.au> mic...@izumi.DIALix.oz.au

(Michael Studte) writes:

>HA! Now that it's started, I'm compiling a "TODAY" file with birthdays
>of all the otakus in this newsgroup. I got three so far. :)

I don't know if I qualify, but my birthday is April 16, 1967. Same date for
my brother. Any other twins out there in otakuland?

Daniel Pawtowski
VTAS Commando
Technicon 11: April 15-17, 1994: The second decade of SF&F in SW, VA!

Daniel Pawtowski

Aug 5, 1993, 5:05:32 AM8/5/93

(Michael Studte) writes:
>Hmmm, so that makes Conty, Tonghyun, you and me ALL vintage 1967!!!
>Definitely a good year for otakus! :)

If anyone cares, both my brother and I were born in 1967 (we're twins).
For that matter, so was one of KatsuCon's Chairs, Larry Drews.

I wonder if we should hold a "67" party sometime??

Daniel Pawtowski
VTAS Commando
Thug One
KatsuCon Ichi in 1995: I don't think the Con Suite can serve cake....

Cloyce D. Spradling

Aug 5, 1993, 9:59:58 AM8/5/93
In article <-134142...@izumi.DIALix.oz.au> mic...@izumi.DIALix.oz.au (Michael Studte) writes:
>HA! Now that it's started, I'm compiling a "TODAY" file with birthdays
>of all the otakus in this newsgroup. I got three so far. :)

How about a list for future otaku? (I have a life now, but I think it's
going to go away... :( )
21 Aug 1972! Yes! 21 in 16 daze!

--
----- -----
Virtually Dangerous Cloyce is: clo...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu, clo...@cs.utexas.edu

Kevin M. Chin

Aug 5, 1993, 12:33:57 PM8/5/93

Starbuck> In article <KEVIN.93A...@romulus.dseg.ti.com> ke...@romulus.dseg.ti.com (Kevin M. Chin) writes:

> Not me, but I'll contend for the other end of the scale. (1962 here).
Starbuck> Nope! Carol Hoeke has that honour. Btw, I need the month and day
Starbuck> too.

January 19. To everyone, please don't cast any hexes on me using my
birthdate. :) :) :)

awo...@pearl.tufts.edu

Aug 5, 1993, 4:07:26 PM8/5/93
(Michael Studte) writes:

>HA! Now that it's started, I'm compiling a "TODAY" file with birthdays
>of all the otakus in this newsgroup. I got three so far. :)

Can you give a report of the average RAA readers age afterwards? It will be
interesting to see who 'young' the readers in this group are...

--Alex, ultra-combine of D.S., Dio, and Vega

Jeff Tatarek

Aug 5, 1993, 8:22:00 PM8/5/93
Okay, I'll bite. October 25, 1971.

Michael Edwards

Aug 5, 1993, 5:23:19 PM8/5/93
ho...@vaxb.acs.unt.edu wrote:

> Wheelchairs!?!?!?! Come ON, children! :) *I can say this, being a vintage
> 1960... and I can remember first run _Atom Boy_... let alone _Battle of the
> Planets_, _Speed Racer_ and the rest! :)*

> For the record? 12-10-60

I guess that that is mon day year format...
If so that makes you a youngster as well. 04-Nov-60 for me :-)

Michael
--
Insatiable carnivore Michael J. Edwards
Oh how voraciously you roar! mich...@nsg.com.au

Starbuck

Aug 7, 1993, 12:06:26 PM8/7/93

> Can you give a report of the average RAA readers age afterwards? It will be
> interesting to see who 'young' the readers in this group are...
>
> --Alex, ultra-combine of D.S., Dio, and Vega

Sure...

Jimmy Jen-yu Chang

Aug 8, 1993, 4:09:13 AM8/8/93

: ----------------------------------------------------------------------

: Christopher Leung Internet: max...@access.cs.uwindsor.ca
: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
: "Save your energy, save speed, and then save your life."
: - Leon McNicol

Cool...
My birthday is on October 22 also. However, I was born in 1968.

Jimi(^_^)
--beld...@hardy.u.washington.edu
--icz...@hardy.u.washington.edu

Voon Liew

Aug 7, 1993, 7:05:58 PM8/7/93
In an article, ty...@ic.sunysb.edu (Tony Yip) writes:

>In article <1993Aug3.1...@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu>
>bcan...@nyx.cs.du.edu (Macky Stingray) writes:
>>In article <Aug.3.08.14....@romulus.rutgers.edu>
>pe...@romulus.rutgers.edu (Starbuck) writes:

>as the

>>>Yes! So far, you've got the honour! Any other contenders?
>>
>>Muahahaha! You've got nothing on me, jisan! I'm 17, 9/29/75 and
>>Genma (kok...@bvsd.k12.co.us) is even younger than I am. :]
>> ^^^^^^ I mean really, shouldn't it be obvious? ^_^
>>
>> -Ben
>

> BWAHAHAHAH!!! You both lost! Beaten by a girl!!! Did you
>guys forget that Lum-Chan is the youngest net.otaku since
>she's only 15!!!! Better luck next year.... ya' old foggies!
>

> - Parn

Arrghhh!!! I was soooo close! Hey, how about second place? (Now, I'm
really getiing desperite). Well, I know that I've beaten Macky Stingray but
what about you, Genma? BTW, I'm 12/13/75.
And hey, if I don't get second place for this one, I'm still sure I can
bag the youngest subtitler title!
C'yas

--
-------------------------------------------Silent-M”bius-/^\-The-Ultimate-Fan
Voon H. Liew (Li...@outb.wimsey.bc.ca) \--/---\--/

Kiyoshi Okuma

Aug 8, 1993, 3:19:11 PM8/8/93
Woah.. hold up.. I'm 10/13/76 !! ^_^
(There is someone younger than Lumchan! and by a year!)

> Voon H. Liew (Li...@outb.wimsey.bc.ca) \--/---\--/

BTW- Iczer-1 and 3 video to "Enter Sandman" ROCKS!! and it's perfectly
timed!! waaaaiiiiii (yeeeaaaahhhh)

-Genma
--
| Kiyoshi Okuma - kok...@bvsd.k12.co.us | Anime Gen.'93 |Genma@IRC&AnimeMUCK|

| Residence: ABSTRACT PROGRAMMING INC? & KONSINN | AnimeCostumePlay Oct. 31!|
| LUMaholic and Ranma addict (I am a junkie!) Looking for funds(Otaku=Broke)|

| More plot less Hentaiism! |IJA| Relief Anime Agency =R.A.A= rec.arts.anime|

Roger Morse

Aug 8, 1993, 5:50:36 PM8/8/93
In article <michae...@nagisa.nsg.com.au> mich...@nsg.com.au writes:

>ho...@vaxb.acs.unt.edu wrote:
>
>I guess that that is mon day year format...
>If so that makes you a youngster as well. 04-Nov-60 for me :-)
>
>Michael
>--
Well, I'm 4-18-71

Aries and proud of it,
Roger Morse
AWOL- <Insert funny acronym here>

Roger Morse

Aug 8, 1993, 5:36:38 PM8/8/93
In article <1993Aug3.0...@news.arc.nasa.gov> how...@noc.arc.nasa.gov (Curt Howland) writes:
>DrAllo...@cup.portal.com (Samuel DrAllosaurs Crider) writes:
>|> 1/24/63
>|>
>|> ...babies.
>
>5/30/63
>
>Kusso, beaten by 4 months.
>
>Curt-

Gee, And DAI's club president, Mike Odell, just turned 40 last month

Then there's me (22)
Craig is 33
Dan Durkin, Bob Chase, Gena Palmer are all 28
Most of the rest of AWOL are 23-26

Looking forward to watching anime when I'm 80-
Roger Morse
AWOL -Attack Weasels, Only Larger