[Clarification] Evangelion from A.D.Vision

Ender Wiggin

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96
D...@advfilms.com (David Williams) wrote in article #243526 about
[[Clarification] Evangelion from A.D.Vision]:
>In article <4fr2d1$s...@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM>, en...@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (Ender Wiggin) wrote:
>> So how much is this gonna cost? This sounds just too good to
>>be true! They're gonna animate the series twice?! They have to scrap
>>all of the previously made cels and film and re-do the entire
>>production. WOW! Just for the US market?!

Okay, I didn't mean to sound so flippant and negative.

>Gainax is enhancing the quality of the original animation for release to the
>international market. They are not starting over from scratch, they are using
>the existing cels and adding more cels to make the animation smoother; they
>adding tones to the coloring; in some cases they may redraw cels; things of
>that nature. The result will be an OVA quality version of the TV series.

Adding tweens is good, but how do they add highlights?
Highlights are usually painted on first. Airbrush the other side of
the cell?

Anthony Lau I G en...@neosoft.com
Graduate Student N M U O al69...@bcm.tmc.edu
Developmental Biology A E IS S I!

David Williams

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96
Sorry for the confusing post. Let me clarify things.

A.D.Vision is releasing Neon Genesis Evangelion, the TV series, not a new OVA
series. This is the same story, same number of episodes, same action in each
episode BUT...reanimated with OVA QUALITY animation. It is the TV series but
should look even better. Release date hasn't been set yet but should be
sometime in late spring of '96.

Hope that clears things up.

-----
David Williams
A.D.Vision Internet Liaison
d...@advfilms.com
http://www.advfilms.com

John Rong

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96
David Williams wrote:

> Sorry for the confusing post. Let me clarify things.
>
> A.D.Vision is releasing Neon Genesis Evangelion, the TV series, not a new OVA
> series. This is the same story, same number of episodes, same action in each
> episode BUT...reanimated with OVA QUALITY animation. It is the TV series but
> should look even better. Release date hasn't been set yet but should be
> sometime in late spring of '96.
>
> Hope that clears things up.
> It this for real?! No this can't be ture.. I must be dreaming...
zzzZZZzzz....^_^(YAHOOO!!!)

John
Is this reality of just a fraction of our imagination.

John Chennavasin

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
Ender Wiggin <en...@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM> wrote:

>>A.D.Vision is releasing Neon Genesis Evangelion, the TV series, not a new OVA
>>series. This is the same story, same number of episodes, same action in each
>>episode BUT...reanimated with OVA QUALITY animation. It is the TV series but
>>should look even better. Release date hasn't been set yet but should be
>>sometime in late spring of '96.
>

> So how much is this gonna cost? This sounds just too good to
>be true! They're gonna animate the series twice?! They have to scrap
>all of the previously made cels and film and re-do the entire
>production. WOW! Just for the US market?!

Any reason for reanimating Evangelion? And will the Japanese market LDs
of Eva contain the TV series animation or the reanimated OVA-quality
animation?
John Chennavasin
che...@haas.berkeley.edu
http://haas.berkeley.edu/~chennav

Eric Lanier

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
David Williams (d...@advfilms.com) wrote:
: In article <4fr2d1$s...@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM>, Ender Wiggin wrote:
: > So how much is this gonna cost? This sounds just too good to

: >be true! They're gonna animate the series twice?! They have to scrap
: >all of the previously made cels and film and re-do the entire
: >production. WOW! Just for the US market?!
:
: Ok, guys, I'm posting these things as I learn them. Here is some more info
: on what is being done for the international release of Evangelion.
:
: Gainax is enhancing the quality of the original animation for release to the

: international market. They are not starting over from scratch, they are usi
: the existing cels and adding more cels to make the animation smoother; they
: adding tones to the coloring; in some cases they may redraw cels; things of
: that nature. The result will be an OVA quality version of the TV series.

This just make any sense at all! The TV animation is already "OVA QUALITY".

o Why would GAINAX improve on the animation that is already good?

o What about the quality of the EVA LDs that just started being issued in
their home market?

o By doing this, isn't GAINAX betraying their home fans? If I were in Japan,
I would be pleased about this! -_-

: David Williams

: A.D.Vision Internet Liaison
: d...@advfilms.com
: http://www.advfilms.com

Eric

--
|"I've heard that some people complain about the large|Still looking for...|
|eyes and small noses and mouths in Japanese manga.But|BGC B-Club Special |

Ming Yau So

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
In article <4fqu0a$c...@uuneo.neosoft.com> d...@advfilms.com (David Williams) writes:
>Sorry for the confusing post. Let me clarify things.
>
>A.D.Vision is releasing Neon Genesis Evangelion, the TV series, not a new OVA
>series. This is the same story, same number of episodes, same action in each
>episode BUT...reanimated with OVA QUALITY animation. It is the TV series but
>should look even better. Release date hasn't been set yet but should be
>sometime in late spring of '96.

What about the character designs, dialogue script, and voices ?
Ming Yau So Internet: min...@netcom.com
AOL: Ming So
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

David Williams

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
In article <4fr2d1$s...@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM>, en...@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (Ender Wiggin) wrote:
> So how much is this gonna cost? This sounds just too good to
>be true! They're gonna animate the series twice?! They have to scrap
>all of the previously made cels and film and re-do the entire
>production. WOW! Just for the US market?!

Ok, guys, I'm posting these things as I learn them. Here is some more info on
what is being done for the international release of Evangelion.

Gainax is enhancing the quality of the original animation for release to the

international market. They are not starting over from scratch, they are using

the existing cels and adding more cels to make the animation smoother; they
adding tones to the coloring; in some cases they may redraw cels; things of
that nature. The result will be an OVA quality version of the TV series.

David Williams

Jerry Shaw

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
en...@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (Ender Wiggin) wrote:

> Adding tweens is good, but how do they add highlights?
>Highlights are usually painted on first. Airbrush the other side of
>the cell?
>
>Anthony Lau I G en...@neosoft.com

When I was in Japan visiting Toei, they showed us that the highlights and
other airbrush effects were added to the front surface of the cel after the
cels were painted.

I guess they could make overlay cels for big changes like shadows and added
character shading.

Jerry