Ranma no Daigakusei EP 2 [FanFic]

Ranma Saotome

Mar 1, 1994, 8:19:59 PM3/1/94

Their relationship has been a volatile one.
She, a boy-hating tomboy.
He, a martial artist cursed to be an aquatranssexual.
Engaged against their will, they learned to tolerate each other.
Now, their relationship is moving on to the next level.
They must learn not only to cope with their new relationship, but with college.
Their names are Ranma and Akane Saotome.
This is their story.

Ranma no Daigakusei

Episode 2: "Housewarming"

Written by David Tai and Paul Gallegos

Based on characters created by Rumiko Takahashi

Translation notes:

Kanrinin-san - "Honored Manager" or "Manager-person" (colloquial)

Chikusho - "Damn it"
Gomen nasai - "I am sorry"
Irasshai mase - "Good afternoon, sir/madam" or "Welcome, sir/madam"
Tadaima - "I'm home"
Sumimasen - "Excuse me"
Konbanwa - "Good evening"
Arigato - "Thank you"

[Morning at Maison Sabaku. All's quiet on the street, and only the occasional
bicyclist heading towards the local university, Mizunoikan, breaks the tranquil
scene. That is, until Ranma wakes up.]

Ranma-chan: [from inside] AAAAAAA! What are you doing?? Get away from me!!!

[Cut to inside the boarding house. Ranma-chan is in one corner of the
apartment - Akane is in the other, holding a pot with something in it.]

Akane: I went through all the trouble to make you breakfast before you woke up,
so the least you could do is EAT IT!!

Ranma-chan: No way! I'm going to register today. I don't want to be sick while
in line!

Akane: Rannnmaaa!!! You'll eat this... or else!

Ranma-chan: [smugly] Or else what??

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[Kazuyo Furuya is walking up the stairs to Room 4. She raises her hand to knock
on the door and hesitates, listening to the bedlam within.]

Ranma-chan's voice: AIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! HOT!!!!!!!

[*CLANG* ... *THUD*]

Kazuyo: [scrambles for her master key] Oh dear!

[Kazuyo finds her key and rushes in to find...]

Akane: [standing over Ranma holding a teapot with a Ranma-shaped dent] Jerk!!

Kazuyo: [standing in doorway looking at Ranma's prone body] Saotome-san! Are
you all right??

Akane: [walking back into the kitchen] I doubt he's ever been "all right".

[Kazuyo stares at Ranma's unconscious form for a bit more, then follows Akane
into the kitchen.]

Kazuyo: Ah.. Saotome-san, [Akane bristles slightly] could I have a word with
you?

Akane: [attempts to smile] Oh, sure, Kanrinin-san! What can I do for you?

Kazuyo: Well, there was this matter of the noise last night... some of the
tenants complained that they heard the sound of a woman in pain...
is everything ok between you and Saotome-san?

[Flashback to the night past - Akane beating Ranma-chan over the head with
several cooking utensils while chasing her all over the apartment.]

Akane: Hai. That was just... uh... Ranma and I trying to catch my pet piglet
that escaped.

Kazuyo: Well, since you're new, I guess I'll let it go this time, but I have
a strict "no pets" policy here. You're going to have to get rid of it.

Akane: Hai, Kanrinin-san! I promise it won't happen again!

Kazuyo: [smiles] Oh, don't fret about it, my dear. I don't mean to sound harsh;
it's simply for health reasons.

[Ranma groans as he recovers his senses while both women re-enter the living
room.]

Ranma: [holding his head] Chikusho... [realizing there is company present]
Ah... gomen nasai, Kanrinin-san.

Kazuyo: [smiles] Oh, don't worry. You should hear Yamakawa-kun sometime when
_he's_ upset. [turns to Akane] Maybe you should get your husband some
ice for that injury?

Akane: Uh... hai. [goes back into kitchen]

Ranma: Uh... Who's Yamakawa-san?

Kazuyo: Oh, he's the resident of Room 6 at the end of the hall.

Akane: [returns from kitchen] Here's your ice.

Ranma: [takes bag] Geez, what time is it, anyway? I have to register for
classes today.

Kazuyo: Almost 8:30.

Ranma: [leaps up] No way! [grabs his backpack] I've got to get going or else
I won't get any classes!! [runs out the open door]

Kazuyo: [to Akane] So... what are you doing tonight?

Akane: [ponders] Well, I have to go shopping for the rest of the furniture,
but since I registered for classes before the end of last semester,
I don't have any other plans.

Kazuyo: Good. We're going to have a housewarming party tonight at 8:00 pm to
honor your arrival here at Maison Sabaku. [glancing at kitchen] If you
wish to cook something for everyone, that'll be fine.

Akane: [smiles brightly] That'd be great! We'll both be there, then. See you
tonight!

Kazuyo: [smiles] Good day, Saotome-san.

[Akane closes the door behind her and leans against it.]

Akane: "Saotome-san". [shudders]

[Akane cleans up the living room a bit, and then goes to get her purse before
leaving for the nearby shopping center.]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[Mizunoikan University. A _long_ line of students winds its way to the
registration area. Near the end of this line is a slightly peeved and out-of-
breath Ranma.]

Ranma: [thinking] I would've gotten here sooner if Akane hadn't tried to poison
me. Now it looks like I won't get the classes I need. [sighs] This
really sucks.

[Flashback to yesterday evening on the train with Nabiki.]

Ranma: What do you mean I have to get up at 8:00 am to register??

Nabiki: If you don't, you won't get any of the good classes.

Ranma: [looks at Akane] What about you? Why aren't you going too?

Akane: Because I've already registered. You register at the end of the school
year for classes next semester, unless you're a freshman.

Ranma: So what are you going to do in the meantime?

Akane: Go shopping for furniture, of course.

Ranma: Just remember to get two futons...

[Ranma's reverie is interrupted by a voice calling his name.]

Ukyou's voice: Ran-chan! Ran-chan! Over here!

Ranma: [looking around but not seeing her] What? [louder] Ucchan?

Ukyou's voice: Over here! By the red pillar!

[Ranma looks over by the red column to see Ukyou beckoning to him. Apparently,
she is closer to the beginning of the line than he is, and he jumps at the
chance to bypass the rest of the freshmen. As he approaches, he now realises
why he didn't recognise her the first time. She seems to have ditched the large
spatula in favour of a pair of jeans and a cream-coloured sleeveless T-shirt
and looks positively stunning. Ranma pauses, still unsure if this is _really_
Ukyou, but her smile brings him back to reality.]

Ranma: Ucchan! Thanks! For a minute I thought I was going to have to wait in
that long line...

Girl behind Ukyou: Hey! Waitasec! What do you think you're doing?!

Ukyou: Makiko, it's ok. This is Saotome Ranma. He's... he's an old friend.
Ranma, this is Yamamura Makiko, my new roommate.

Makiko: Ah, well then, I'm pleased to meet you. Sorry about the rudeness, but
with all these people trying to register, you can't let anyone cut in
front because they might get the class you need. [smiles]

Ranma: Uh... that's ok, really. [pauses] Say, how long have you two been in
line, anyway?

Ukyou: [looks at Makiko] What? About 15 minutes?

Makiko: [looks at her watch] That's about right.

Ranma: [sighs] I would've been here sooner myself, but Akane tried to gag me
with what she called breakfast.

Ukyou: [sympathetic] Oh... if you're hungry we can go out to eat after this.

Makiko: Wait, we need to go shopping after this, remember? I need a new
communications program, and you wanted that word processing program
so you could do your papers...

Ranma: [blinks] Huh? What are you talking about?

Ukyou: Oh, well Makiko has a... [to Makiko] what kind of computer is it again?

Makiko: Macintosh. Quadra.

Ukyou: She's got a Macintosh computer, and she says I can do my papers on it
for my classes, so we're going to go get some programs for it to...

Ranma: [interrupting] Papers? Waitasec...

Ukyou: Oh, didn't I tell you? I'm going to be a Literature major! [smiles]
That of course means I have to type a lot of papers, so I need something
to type them on. Hence Makiko's computer.

Ranma: I see. I hope I don't have to do a lot of writing for Physical
Education.

Makiko: I can't see how you would. Well, with the exception of Freshman
Composition... and Freshman History... and then there's your basic
Philosophy and Psychology classes...

Ranma: Uh... I think I get the picture, thanks. [thinking] This is definitely
NOT what I had in mind just to get away from my mom. But, if that
tomboy can do it, so can I...

Staff person: Next!

Ukyou: [interrupting Ranma's thoughts] That's us! Ran-chan, it was nice seeing
you here. Maybe we can get together sometime soon for dinner, ok?

Makiko: Yeah, that'd be a great idea!

Ranma: Uh, sure, I guess. I'll see you girls later!

[The three separate, each going their own direction in a hurry to get whatever
classes are remaining. Cut to a shot of the outside of the building, where a
small black piglet with a yellow bandana wanders through the grass not in any
particular hurry, nor in any particular direction, before the scene pans back
to a wide shot of the sprawling Mizunoikan campus. The bell rings in the
distance signalling the time is now 10:00 am.]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[At a nearby shopping district, Akane is window-shopping, occasionally stopping
in here and there to get a closer look. Finally, she sees the place she's been
looking for. She walks into a little shop with a sign over it that says
"Futons, Etc.".]

Akane: [walking in] Hello...?

Shop owner: Irasshai mase! How can I help you?

Akane: Well, I'm actually just looking around...

Shop owner: May I ask what kind of futon you are interested in buying? Perhaps
I can be of some service.

Akane: Hmmm, well I just moved into a small apartment, so...

Shop owner: Ah, I see. You will then want to take a look at the single futons
over here... [leads Akane over to the singles]

Akane: [looking at prices] Hmm, I may be able to afford two of these after all.

Shop owner: [smiles widely] We do delivery to your home for free if you wish.

Akane: [smiles] That's good, because Ranma's not here to help me bring these
home.

Shop owner: Ranma is your roommate?

Akane: No, he's my husb... [pauses] On second thought, I think I'll have a look
at a larger futon.

Shop owner: Hai! We have a large selection of futons just for married couples!
[leads Akane to another area of the shop] Have you been married
long?

Akane: No... we're newlyweds.

Shop owner: Ah, well these futons here are large enough for two people, but
small enough to keep you and your husband... cozy. [smiles]

Akane: [blushes] Um... well... we don't have a lot of space...

Shop owner: Then this may be just what you're looking for.

Akane: [still blushing] I... I think I'll take the king-sized one, instead.

Shop owner: [smiles] The customer is always right. I'll have it delivered to
your residence within the next couple of hours.

Akane: Thank you.

[Akane pays for the futon, writes down her address on a delivery slip, then
exits the shop, headed home.]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[Several hours later, back at Maison Sabaku, Ranma is walking up the stairs to
his apartment. He sniffs the air and notices a hint of smoke. He gets his keys
out to Room 4 and notices the wisps of smoke coming from around the door frame.
He enters, cautiously.]

Ranma: Tadaima!

Akane: [from kitchen] Oh, Ranma, you're home early! I made you lunch.

Ranma: [thinking] So that's what caused all the smoke. Maybe I can sneak out
before...

Akane: [entering room carrying a steaming plate of food] Here you go! Eat up!

[The food actually looks edible and smells delicious. Ranma, however, isn't
about to take any chances.]

Ranma: Uh.. that's great, Akane. [sets backpack down] It, uh.. smells good.
[looks at his plate for a second, then sits on the floor to eat]

Akane: Silly, eat over the table!

[Ranma follows her gaze and notices the furniture for the first time. A small
wooden carved table is in the middle of the room, surrounded by many cushions,
most of them coloured pink or yellow. Several bookshelves adorn the walls,
although many are empty. Some, however, are filled with stuffed animals,
miniature figurines, and other assorted knick-knacks. A desk is along one wall
with several of Akane's books already stacked on it. A lamp hangs from the
ceiling in one corner, while a large potted plant is in the opposite corner of
the room. Many of the walls have pictures of kittens, pandas, or other cute
furry animals.]

Ranma: [jaw drops open] Wh... bu.. you... it.... AAAAAAAA!!!

Akane: [startled] What? What's wrong? Too many pictures??

Ranma: [turns around to look at the entire room] I don't believe this. I do NOT
believe this!

Akane: What's wrong with it??

Ranma: [wheels to face Akane] I'll tell you what's wrong with it! IT'S TOO
GIRLISH!! I can't understand how a tomboy like you could make a room
look so... FEMININE!!

Akane: ...

Ranma: It's gotta go! I mean, the furniture itself isn't too bad, but the
decorations? Kittens and pandas? Bad enough Pop is one without having
to remind me of him here...

Akane: There's nothing wrong with it!

Ranma: The bookshelves are fine. The desk is ok. The cushions HAVE to go!

[A knock is heard at the door.]

Akane: The cushions are fine! I got them on sale!!

Ranma: The cushions are PINK and YELLOW!! Didn't they have any NORMAL colored
cushions where you bought those?

[Another knock, and then the door opens a crack.]

Man: Sumimasen, but we have your futon here. Where do you want it?

Ranma: Futon? What fut...

Akane: [interrupting] Just put it against the far wall over there.

[The two men bring the futon into the apartment. Ranma breathes a sigh of
relief as he realizes that it isn't a pink futon - until he notices that
there's only one futon being brought in.]

Ranma: Where's the other one?

Man2: What other one?

Ranma: The other futon. There should be two.

Akane: I only bought one. There's not enough sp...

Ranma: [interrupting] You don't expect me to sleep in that with _you_, do you??

Akane: [glares] Fine! You can sleep on the floor, for all I care!

Man: [glances at Man2] I think we'd better get going, now.

Man2: [nods] Hai, before we get caught in another argument. I really think
the boss ought to stop pushing those futons for newlyweds...

[Both men leave, while Akane and Ranma continue to argue.]

Akane: I don't care what you think of it, the furniture stays!

Ranma: I live here too, and I say it goes!

Akane: YOU didn't have to go all over town for it!

Ranma: If you had ASKED me to go with you, I would have! Instead, we've got an
apartment full of pink things! The only thing missing is the pink
flamingo!

Akane: Um...

Ranma: What? [realization hits] You _didn't_ buy a pink flamingo...?

Akane: [looking at her feet] It came with the fuzzy umbrella holder behind you.

Ranma: That does it! You are _so_ stupid, I can't believe it! I'm getting rid
of this, right now!

[Ranma starts to lift the table and hears a soft sniffle. He turns around to
see Akane running out of the apartment.]

Ranma: [thinking] She's not...crying... is she? [drops table on his foot]
YEOW!!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[Akane leaves the building and runs down the street for a while. She finally
stops under the shade of a large tree and wipes her tears.]

Akane: [thinking] Ranma no baka! I was only trying to make the apartment a
little more like home. You're such an ass! You didn't have to insult
everything in there. It's not as if _you_ have any taste in decoration
anyway...

Kazuyo: Saotome-san? What are you doing here?

Akane: [looks up] Kanrinin-san? Hi! I...[sniffles slightly] uh ... just was out
for a walk.

Kazuyo: I see.

Akane: Kanrinin-san? Could you do me a favor?

Kazuyo: [glances at Akane] What is it?

Akane: Could you just call Ranma and I by our names? We're ... sort of used to
it by now.

Kazuyo: [smiles] Of course, dear.

Akane: [smiles] Arigato.

[The two stand in silence for a bit before Kazuyo speaks up.]

Kazuyo: Tell me something. Did Saot.. er, Ranma-san like the way the apartment
was decorated?

Akane: [looks at her feet] Uh... actually, no, he didn't.

Kazuyo: Well. Why don't you walk with me back to the apartment? We can talk
about it...

Akane: [looks up hopefully] Sure.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[Meanwhile, Ranma has finished disposing of Akane's "lunch".]

Ranma: [stuffing the last of it in the plant's pot] There. That's the last of
it. I feel sorry for the plant though. [looks around the room and sighs]
I can't think on an empty stomach. I guess I'll go find someplace to
eat, and think about what I'm going to do about this.

[Ranma leaves the building and walks down the street and around the corner.
He doesn't go four blocks before he's next to a kissaten.]

Ranma: Nabiki sure knew what was going to happen when she set up that
apartment! This place isn't even 5 minutes away! [sniffs air] Wow...
real food... Mmmmm.

[Ranma looks up and notices the big sign proclaiming this kissaten as Chez
Funsui. Ranma enters the kissaten, noticing all the customers inside.]

Ranma: [to himself] Wow... this place is pretty popular.

Waitress: Irasshai mase! What can I get for you?

Ranma: [sits at a nearby table] A cup of coffee and [brief flashback to eating
at both the Nekohanten and the Utchan] ... well, just coffee for now.

Waitress: Hai! [smiles brightly]

[The waitress goes into the kitchen to get Ranma his coffee, while Ranma
lounges by a window, staring outside.]

Ranma: [thinking] I guess Akane didn't mean for the place to be so girlish.
After all, she IS a girl, even though she never acts like it. I just
wish she'd talked to me before going... maybe we could have gone
together or something...

Waitress: [sets coffee in front of Ranma] Here you are. [smiles] Is there
anything else I can get for you?

Ranma: [snaps back to reality] Oh... Uh.. I'm sorry.. Yeah, could I get a
beefbowl?

Waitress: Sure. [busily writes the order down]

Ranma: Thanks. [turns back towards the window]

Waitress: [noticing Ranma's faraway look] Is there something else you want to
talk about?

Ranma: [sighs] I just wonder what goes through her head sometimes.

Waitress: Ah... woman troubles, eh? Maybe I can help...?

[Ranma notices the waitress for the first time as she sits down across from
him. She's about his age with flowing blonde hair and blue eyes, and he wonders
why he didn't notice her before, as she is very beautiful. He is now aware of
several of the customers also watching her as well.]

Ranma: Uh... really, no need for you to go through any trouble... I mean, you
must have a lot of work to do still...

Waitress: Oh it's no trouble, really. I told my boss that I'd be taking a break
right now anyway. [smiles and looks directly into Ranma's eyes]

Ranma: [thinking] She's not... interested, is she? [to waitress] Well, I guess
if you've got time to chat...

Waitress: [giggles] You know, we haven't been introduced yet. I'm Akiyama
Hitomi.

Ranma: Saotome Ranma. [grins]

Hitomi: Well, Ranma, now that we know who each other is, what's on your mind?

Ranma: Well, nothing really... just thinking about how things used to be when
I was still in high school.

Hitomi: I know how that is. I graduated just a couple of months ago and moved
out of my parents' house.

Ranma: I just moved in to a new place a couple of days ago, myself. It's kind
of cozy, but it'll do.

Hitomi: What are you doing now? Going to college?

Ranma: Yeah, I got accepted to Mizunoikan. I'm just a freshman. What about you?
Are you attending Mizunoikan as well?

Hitomi: No, actually I'm not going to college. I got tired of school so I
thought I'd take a break from it for a while.

Ranma: That's funny. I did the same thing. Now I'm going back... [flashback
of Nabiki reminding him that he'll be away from home so Nodoka can't
find out about the curse] and I'm actually a little relieved.

Hitomi: Wow... Maybe I should think about going back myself then, sometime
down the road, of course. Right now, I'm happy as it is. [smiles]

Manager: [calling from kitchen] Hitomi! I need your help in the kitchen!

Hitomi: [getting up quickly] I'm sorry, Ranma. I have to get going. Hey,
there's a party tonight at my apartment building. If you've got some
time tonight, would you like to go with me?

Ranma: Uh... sure, why not. I don't think I'm doing anything tonight. [smiles]

Hitomi: Great! Why don't I meet you here at about 8:00 pm tonight and we can go
from here?

Manager: [from kitchen] Hitomi, please!

Ranma: Ok, I'll see you then. [snaps fingers] Oh, how much for the food?

Hitomi: It's on me, handsome. [turns and hurries back into the kitchen]

Ranma: [feels his face grow red] ...

[Ranma waits for Hitomi to bring him out his food and then eats it quickly
before leaving the kissaten.]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[Kazuyo and Akane are walking back to Maison Sabaku. Akane is helping Kazuyo
carry her grocery bags and listening to Kazuyo intently.]

Kazuyo: ... so you see, being a newlywed is definitely not easy. Take it from
me - one who remembers what it was like at first.

Akane: I don't mean to be rude, but where is your husband anyway? I've not seen
him around the building.

Kazuyo: Oh... he passed away several years ago.

Akane: Oh, I'm sorry.

Kazuyo: [smiles] That's ok, really. He was a good man, but life must go on.
[looks at Akane] When you went to find furniture for your apartment,
did you take into consideration that you're now shopping for two,
instead of one?

Akane: [looks at ground] Uh... no, not really.

Kazuyo: That's ok, though. It does take a while to get used to. You're going
to have to make some compromises if you want your marriage to work.

Akane: I guess you're right.

Kazuyo: [as they reach the front door of Maison Sabaku] Trust me. You two just
need to sit down and talk about what needs to be done. You'll get a lot
more accomplished than just screaming at each other. [winks] And you'll
get a lot more sleep too.

Akane: [blushes] Kanrinin-san!

[Kazuyo laughs, and the two enter the building, smiling.]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[At just about sunset, Ranma comes back to Maison Sabaku. He's a little sweaty
because he's been jogging for the past couple of hours. He runs up to the door
and kicks off his shoes before jogging up the stairs to Room 4. He gets out his
keys and opens the door to find Akane straightening out the afghan on the new
futon. He notices a distinct absence of cute pictures and figurines on the
bookshelves, and several of the cushions have been replaced with dark blue and
black-and-white striped ones.]

Ranma: Uh... what are you doing?

Akane: Cleaning up. I thought about what you said earlier.

Ranma: [steps back into the doorway] What'd I say?

Akane: That maybe I should've asked you to go with me to pick out furniture.
This is _our_ apartment, after all.

[Ranma hesitates, then walks in and shuts the door behind him.]

Akane: I got rid of some of the ... girlish stuff [sweeping gesture toward
the walls and bookshelves] but...

Ranma: [interrupting] That's ok. I kinda like it now. [looks at the futon]
Except for that.

Akane: Believe me, I was all set to buy two futons.. but I had to also consider
that we don't have a lot of space here. One large futon was cheaper and
takes up less space than two singles.

Ranma: [slowly nods] I guess you're right. [sighs and looks at the futon again]
I guess it won't be that bad after all.

Akane: [sits down and grabs a remote control] Kanrinin-san was really helpful
with the redecorating. You ought to talk to her sometime. She's really
interesting. [clicks on TV]

Ranma: [staring at TV] Waitasec... you were concerned about saving money with
this futon and then buy a TV?

Akane: [looks directly at Ranma] I bought the TV used. The person selling it
was selling a lot of stuff, cheap. It came with the table and the lamp.

Ranma: [picks up cushion and examines it] Oh. Well... I guess we'll deal with
it then.

Akane: [shakes her head] By the way, we're going to a housewarming party
tonight at 8:00 pm. It's going to be downstairs in Kanrinin-san's
apartment.

Ranma: Uh.. sure, whatever. I'm going to take a bath and clean up.

Akane: [smiles and leans back to watch TV] Ok.

[Ranma gets up and goes into the bathroom, while Akane is engrossed by the
cartoon on TV about some super-strong girl who tries to save a rich prince.
A little while later, Ranma emerges, cleaned up and dressed in one of his
better outfits.]

Akane: That looks nice. [smiles]

Ranma: Well, yeah, I guess it's ok. Who is going to be at this party anyway?

Akane: I would think that all the tenants would be coming.

[A knock on the door is heard. Ranma goes to open it.]

Kazuyo: Konbanwa, [pauses] Ranma-san! Nice to see you again!

Ranma: [looks slightly startled, then smiles and bows] Konbanwa, Kanrinin-san.

Kazuyo: I realize I'm a little early, but would you mind helping me set up a
couple of tables and move some furniture?

Ranma: Sure. No problem.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[Ranma and Akane have just finished setting up tables and chairs in Room 1 and
are moving the breakables into another room when a knock is heard at the door.]

Kazuyo: [walking into the kitchen] Just a minute! [to Akane] Can you get that
for me, please?

Akane: Sure. [walks over to the door and opens it] Can I help you?

Hitomi: Hai, I was just looking for Kanrinin-san.

Akane: She's in the kitchen...

Kazuyo: [from kitchen] Hitomi-chan? What can I do for you, dear?

Hitomi: [calling out] I was just going to stop by and say I'd be a little late.
I have to meet someone at work.

Kazuyo: [from kitchen] That's fine, dear.

Akane: [extends hand] Hi. I'm Ten... er, Saotome Akane. Pleased to meet you.
[smiles]

Hitomi: [shakes Akane's hand] Pleased to meet you! I'm Akiyama Hitomi. I live
in Room 2.

Ranma: [entering living room from bedroom] Is there anything else that needs to
be move... [sees Hitomi] Uh... hi!

Hitomi: Uh... hi!

Kazuyo: [entering from kitchen] Hitomi, this is Saotome Ranma, Akane's husband.
[smiles]

Hitomi: [thinking] Husband??

Ranma: [thinking] So this was the party she was talking about??

Kazuyo: [looks at Ranma, then at Hitomi, then back at Ranma] Have you met each
other already?

Hitomi: [snaps back to reality] Oh! I'm sorry, you just reminded me of someone
I know. I'm pleased to meet you. [smiles]

Ranma: Uh... same here.

Kazuyo: Hitomi-chan? Didn't you have to go meet someone at work?

Hitomi: [staring at Ranma] Somehow, I don't think he's going to show up.

Kazuyo: Well, everyone else should be arriving about now. Make yourselves at
home! I'll go get something for you to snack on.

[Kazuyo enters the kitchen. Hitomi is _still_ staring at Ranma, while Ranma
attempts to find something else to occupy his attention. Akane notices this and
tries to start a conversation with Hitomi.]

Akane: So, Hitomi, what do you do? Are you a student?

Hitomi: [finally turning her gaze away from Ranma] No, actually I'm a waitress
at the nearby kissaten. I graduated from high school a few months ago
and moved in here so I could have my own place and not have to worry
about things like my parents. [wry grin]

Akane: I see. [smiles] I graduated about a year ago, but I know how it feels to
be away from home for the first time.

Hitomi: [turns to Ranma] What about you, Ranma? When did you graduate?

Ranma: [trying not to look directly at Hitomi] I graduated with Akane. This is
my first year at college, though.

Hitomi: So you two really know what it's like to try to manage on your own!
That's so cool! I wish my parents were as cool as you. They're really
old-fashioned. You two must have a lot of experience living away from
home.

[Ranma and Akane exchange glances.]

Akane: Well... I...

Ranma: We... uh...

[Knock at door. Kazuyo enters with a tray of snacks and sets it on the table
before going to answer the door.]

Voice: [knocks louder] Is anyone in there???

Kazuyo: Please, Yamakawa-kun! I'll be there in a bit! [opens door] Welcome!

Yamakawa: Konbanwa, Furuya-san. [enters and closes door behind him]
I see I'm on time. [smirks as he spies Akane and Ranma] Hello.
I'm Yamakawa Toshi, and you two must be the noisemakers.

Kazuyo: Yamakawa-kun! Really! These are our new tenants, Saotome Ranma and
Akane.

Ranma: [gets up to shake Toshi's hand] Konbanwa.

Toshi: [ignores Ranma's outstretched hand] Indeed. If you two _must_ play
games at night, be a little more quieter! Some of us are trying to get
a good night's rest!

Ranma: ...

Akane: [smiles] Yamakawa-san? Would you like something to snack on?

Toshi: [looks at Akane and smiles] Hai, I would. Arigato. [looks at Hitomi]
Well, young lady, have you thought about what I said?

Hitomi: Hai. However, I still don't think I'm ready for college. I think
I'm going to take a year off, like Ranma-kun did.

Toshi: [turns to Ranma] Oh really?

Kazuyo: Yamakawa-kun, could I speak to you for a moment in the kitchen, please?

Toshi: Certainly, Furuya-san.

[Toshi and Kazuyo enter the kitchen. Ranma is still standing and watches the
two leave the room.]

Ranma: [quietly] Great, just what I need. First Cologne, then Happosai, now
this guy.

Hitomi: Oh, don't worry about Toshi. He's actually harmless. He's a little
irritable, but basically a nice guy.

[Another knock on the door. This time Ranma goes to answer it.]

Ranma: Hello? Can I help you?

Man: Ah, you must be Saotome Ranma, the new tenant in Room 4.

Ranma: Hai, but how...

Man: Allow me to introduce myself. I am Ketibeppu Choji. I reside in Room 3,
next door to you.

Hitomi: [whispers to Akane] And he's the biggest pervert in this city.

Akane: [amused, whispers back] Oh, you think so, eh? [glances at Ranma]

Hitomi: [whispers] Yeah, he's a regular Peeping Tom. I've caught him a couple
of times sneaking around behind the building near my window.

Choji: [entering] And you must be Saotome Ranma. [bows] Pleased to make your
acquaintance. [flashes both women a smile]

Akane: [smiles] Thank you, Ketibeppu-san.

Choji: Oh please, call me Choji. Everyone does.

Hitomi: [under her breath] When they're not calling the cops...

Ranma: [closes door and goes over to knock on kitchen door] Kanrinin-san?
Ketibeppu-san is here.

Kazuyo's voice: That's fine, Saotome-kun. Oh, the drinks are in here, by the
way. Could you help me bring them out to the living room,
please?

[Ranma enters the kitchen to find Kazuyo making some last-minute appetizers and
Toshi sitting at the kitchen table sipping a beer. Kazuyo motions toward a tray
with several glasses, some ice in a small bucket, and some bottles of soda.]

Toshi: [to Ranma] You don't drink, do you?

Ranma: No, I don't.

Toshi: Good. Don't get started either. You could end up like that hentai Choji.

[A sneeze is heard from the living room.]

Kazuyo: Now, Yamakawa-kun! You know it's not nice to talk about Ketibeppu-kun
like that.

Toshi: Oh don't be defending him! I'm surprised he didn't invite a stripper for
entertainment.

Ranma: [blinks] What's he do for a living?

Toshi: Who knows. I've been here for years now, and I still don't know what he
does for a living. All I do know is that he carries that stupid camera
with him everywhere.

Ranma: Camera? He didn't have a camera when...

Choji's voice: [from living room] Ok, girls, could you stand right there for
this picture? That's it, just lean forward a bit...

[*SLAP*]

Hitomi's voice: [from living room] Oh! Gomen nasai! I thought there was
something on your cheek!

Toshi: As I was saying...

Kazuyo: That's enough. This is a party! Let's be a little sociable, shall we?

Toshi: Fine, fine. I'm starved anyway. What's to eat?

Kazuyo: [produces a tray of finished appetizers] For starters, this is.
Akane-kun prepared this especially for us.

Ranma: [does a double-take] She did _what_?

Kazuyo: She made the appetizers earlier today, using a recipe she said her
older sister taught her.

Ranma: [to himself] Even Kasumi's recipes can't help Akane's cooking...

Toshi: [grabs one and eats it] Mmm. These aren't half bad! [grabs a handful]

[Ranma's jaw drops to the floor.]

Kazuyo: [slaps Toshi's hand] Save some for everyone else!

[Toshi and Kazuyo exit the kitchen. Ranma follows soon after carrying the tray
of soda and glasses, while shaking his head in disbelief. Conversation starts
with some laughter and the party is under way.]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[Several hours later, Ranma and Akane are climbing the stairs to Room 4.]

Akane: That was kind of fun. I'm glad we got to meet everyone, finally.

Ranma: Yeah. That Choji guy was weird though.

Akane: And here I thought you were the biggest pervert alive. [shakes her head]

Ranma: [gives Akane a LOOK] ...

Akane: [smiles] You know what else was nice? Everyone seemed to enjoy my little
specialty dish that Kasumi-oneechan taught me. The crab cakes turned out
well after all.

Ranma: [pauses] Uh... right. I did notice everyone had some.

Akane: I _also_ noticed you didn't touch one bite of it.

Ranma: Um... well... that's, uh.. because, uh... I know that you can make it
anytime for me. [forces a smile]

Akane: True... [as they pass Room 5] I wonder what Sato-san is like?
No one really mentioned him tonight other than in passing.

Ranma: [stops and looks at the door to Room 5] Hmm, you're right. I hope he's
not another Choji, that's for sure.

Akane: [smiles] I agree. You know, Hitomi-chan seems to like you.

Ranma: [turns suddenly] What?

Akane: Well, she must, because you two spent a lot of time talking tonight...

Ranma: Ah... she just asked me what it was like taking a year off of school
and running the dojo, that's all.

Akane: [opens the door to Room 4] Oh. Well, at least she's nice. It'll be nice
to have someone around here that's around my age.

Ranma: And what about me?

Akane: You're a guy! [entering] You don't know anything about girl-stuff.

Ranma: [entering and closing the door behind him] And you do??

Akane: [eyes narrow] What are you saying??

Ranma: [holds his hands up] Uh... nothing! Nothing! I... think I'm going to
wash up before going to bed.

Akane: Not before you explain what you meant by that!

[Ranma quickly retreats to the bathroom with Akane following right behind him.
Cut to outside the building where all the lights except for the Saotomes' go
off one by one. Finally, the Saotomes' light shuts off and all is quiet at
Maison Sabaku... until the lights start coming back on one at a time, while
groans can be heard throughout the building.]

Ranma's voice: Oh, just great, Akane. Instead of poisoning them immediately,
now you make them wait for their suffering!

[*THUD*]

Akane's voice: BAKA!

Ranma's voice: [muttering] Kawaiikune.

Ranma Saotome