[ANNOUNCEMENT] *** THE DEATH OF EVA ***

Dan Hollis

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

Gainax Pie by Ethan Forsythe (sap...@anime.net)
To the tune of "american pie" by don mclean.
Grab the nearest midi rendition and sing along!

A long, long time ago
I could still remember how
that anime could make me smile

I knew that I could make my stand
and be another anime man
and they'll watch my shows for a while

but October made me shiver
on IRC the news delivered
Gainax released their new cartoon,
at that moment, I knew I was doomed

There wasn't a word that I could speak
when they talked about that Anno freak
But the news later came, it was gone
I was relieved, for I have won, when
the day, Eva died.

So,

Ha, ha Evangelion's done
you stupid drooling fanboys can have no more fun
it was all over when I pulled out that gun
singing, "the ending is what has us all bummed,
the ending is what has us all bummed"

Do remember in the early days
with gigantic robots and death rays
and Tatsujin-28
And do you beleive in Sailor Moon
with posters of her all over your room
and could you get me some tapes real soon?

Well I know that you're in love with her
because I saw the homepage over there
and that caused me alot of alarm
someone like you needs to be in the funny farm

89 dollars is what they billed
but the LD was shot, my angers were stilled [1]
and all my dreams were soon fulfilled
the day, Eva died
I started singing:

Ha, ha Evangelion's done
you stupid drooling fanboys can have no more fun
it was all over when I pulled out that gun
singing, "the ending is what has us all bummed,
the ending is what has us all bummed"

Now for three years I was stuck in hell [2]
with country music and southern belles
but I wasn't always this cursed...
When the tape was rolled for the King and Queen
the cries of horror and the pain unseen
a teenager and his robot, is that a first?
And while the king was in a sweat,
these two morons made a bet
to see who could get to Mcdonald's first [3]
how could it get any worse?
And while Miyazaki read a book on Marx
the fanboys drooled and were struck by larts [4]
and I was laughing in the dark
The day, Eva died.
And I was singing:

Ha, ha Evangelion's done
you stupid drooling fanboys can have no more fun
it was all over when I pulled out that gun
singing, "the ending is what has us all bummed,
the ending is what has us all bummed"

Hanky panky, the con chair got real cranky,
in Oakland and falling fast
it's the Hilton on the grass as Ippongi Bang tried to pass,
with Viz on the sidelines in a cast
Now the dealer room air was a sweet perfume
as Sonmay played a opening tune [5]
And AIC busted them real fast
but they never got the chance
Oh, as the fanboys tried to take the stall
Old Ben Dunn started to bawl
do you recall what started it all
the day, Eva died

We started singin'...

Ha, ha Evangelion's done
you stupid drooling fanboys can have no more fun
it was all over when I pulled out that gun
singing, "the ending is what has us all bummed,
the ending is what has us all bummed"

Oh, and there we stood, all under pain
our lost wages was Anno's gain
with no chance of getting our money back
So come on Naoko be quick,
Naoko jumped over the schtick,
because redundancy is Anno's only friend
It was me who saw what everyone missed
as they ogled the screen, I got real pissed
I knew I didn't have a chance in hell
to break that Anno's spell
and as the sales climbed high into the night
to add more power to gainax's might
I saw Anno laughing with delight
The day, Eva died.

And he was singing:

Ha, ha Evangelion's done
you stupid drooling fanboys can have no more fun
it was all over when I pulled out that gun
singing, "the ending is what has us all bummed,
the ending is what has us all bummed"

I met a girl who drew the style
and I asked her why don't you smile
but she just turned away
I walked down to the sacred shop
where bootleg anime was sold and hocked
but the man there said the anime wouldn't play
And in the streets the fanboys screamed
the dealers cried, and the artists dreamed
but not a word was said
the fandom was completely dead
After all I knew that it can't be,
But when I saw Peter crashing Windows NT, [6]
my heart was filled with evil glee
the day, Eva died

And Peter was singing:

ha, ha Evangelion's done
you stupid drooling fanboys can have no more fun
it was all over when I pulled out that gun
singing, "the ending is what has us all bummed,
the ending is what has us all bummed"

[1] http://www.anime.net/~sapphic/AX97/eva_death.mov (before)
http://www.anime.net/~sapphic/AX97/evald.jpg (after)
[2] "I", as in http://www.anime.net/~sapphic/
[3] http://www.anime.net/~raider3/extreme_race.html
[4] http://www.bofh.org.pl/man/lart.1m.html
[5] http://www.anime.net/SM.html
[6] http://www.anime.net/~goemon/cd/cd_label.jpg (15sec microwave install)

James Arguello

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

Dan Hollis wrote:

> Gainax Pie by Ethan Forsythe (sap...@anime.net)
> To the tune of "american pie" by don mclean.
> Grab the nearest midi rendition and sing along!
>
> A long, long time ago
> I could still remember how
> that anime could make me smile
>
> I knew that I could make my stand
> and be another anime man
> and they'll watch my shows for a while
>
> but October made me shiver
> on IRC the news delivered
> Gainax released their new cartoon,
> at that moment, I knew I was doomed
>
> There wasn't a word that I could speak
> when they talked about that Anno freak
> But the news later came, it was gone
> I was relieved, for I have won, when
> the day, Eva died.
Snnnnnip!

Ummmmm, you could have just written a message saying why I don't like
Evangelion. Try finding better activities in your spare time please sir.
Oh, here comes a good topic. I there anybody in this board who HATES an
anime that is popular with like ohhhhhh, about 99.9% of the other anime
otaku out there? Someone who isn't very fond of Sailor Moon (I'll bet
they're are)? Someone unimpressed by Eva (Just saw an example by our
friend here)? Or someone who downright loathes Tenchi Muyo? Well, I
personally do not like, here comes the shocker...... Ranma 1/2. *Whew*,
Finally came out of the closet about that one.
Why am I not following the leigion of Ranmamaniacs out there? Well in
my honest opinion, its a series that is too long, a bit monotonous in
its humor (Seeing everyone kicking each others asses does get tedious.),
and seeing Ranma and Akane bitching and bitching all the time really
turns me off because I hate bitchy people (Sorry to pound the word
"bitch" to death). Hey guys, its all right to come out of the closet now
so like the famous Nike slogan says, "Just do it".

-James "I REALLY like Evangelion and Gainax but haven't seen Gunbuster
or Nadia OR Otaku no Video yet" Arguello.

P.S. I thought Rumiko's earlier work Urusei Yatsura is much better than
Ranma also. It just seems more witty to me than Ranma. Ranma has kinda
tasteless humor in my opinion.

Peter Yao

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

In article <341F07...@aol.com>, James Arguello <cmdr...@aol.com> wrote:

> Dan Hollis wrote:
> >
> > Gainax Pie by Ethan Forsythe (sap...@anime.net)
> >

> > There wasn't a word that I could speak
> > when they talked about that Anno freak
> > But the news later came, it was gone
> > I was relieved, for I have won, when
> > the day, Eva died.

> Snnnnnip!
>
> Ummmmm, you could have just written a message saying why I don't like
> Evangelion. Try finding better activities in your spare time please sir.

Welllll, what he was trying to say wasn't too different from what you are
saying, although I think you listed more reasons while he chose to
liberally use the term "drooling fanboy", but I guess he had a more
pretentious way of saying it ;) Maybe he had "american pie" stuck in his
head all day.

> Oh, here comes a good topic. Is there anybody in this board who HATES an

> anime that is popular with like ohhhhhh, about 99.9% of the other anime
> otaku out there? Someone who isn't very fond of Sailor Moon (I'll bet

> there are)?

I found the voices from the TV version annoying, but I guess that isn't too
unusual....

> Someone unimpressed by Eva (Just saw an example by our
> friend here)? Or someone who downright loathes Tenchi Muyo?

To tell you the truth, I have yet to see any Tenchi stuff.

> Well, I
> personally do not like, here comes the shocker...... Ranma 1/2. *Whew*,
> Finally came out of the closet about that one.
> Why am I not following the leigion of Ranmamaniacs out there? Well in
> my honest opinion, its a series that is too long,

Well, that could be said of a lot of anime.

> a bit monotonous in
> its humor (Seeing everyone kicking each others asses does get tedious.),

Some of the scenes and situations (though they *are* usually solved by
combat) are pretty funny, imo. I guess it depends on what kind of anime you
like. One thing I didn't like was how the relationships and problems aren't
really developed/ solved. I still enjoy the anime and the mangas though.

> and seeing Ranma and Akane bitching and bitching all the time really
> turns me off because I hate bitchy people (Sorry to pound the word
> "bitch" to death). Hey guys, its all right to come out of the closet now
> so like the famous Nike slogan says, "Just do it".
>
> -James "I REALLY like Evangelion and Gainax but haven't seen Gunbuster
> or Nadia OR Otaku no Video yet" Arguello.

Gunbuster is pretty neat, I still have to watch the third volume though. I
have to watch Wings of Honneamise again too.

> P.S. I thought Rumiko's earlier work Urusei Yatsura is much better than
> Ranma also. It just seems more witty to me than Ranma. Ranma has kinda
> tasteless humor in my opinion.

BTW who brought the UY anime here? I was considering watching that too.
(*sigh* damn my wallet is hurting these days.)

--
I am the hate you try to hide

Hong Kwon

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

<snippage>

> > P.S. I thought Rumiko's earlier work Urusei Yatsura is much better than
> > Ranma also. It just seems more witty to me than Ranma. Ranma has kinda
> > tasteless humor in my opinion.
>
> BTW who brought the UY anime here? I was considering watching that too.
> (*sigh* damn my wallet is hurting these days.)

are you talking which domestic company?

A: AnimEigo. They have/had the rights to the TV series and the various
movies... I seem to recall there being some confusion as to whether they still
had em or not. check it out:

http://www.animeigo.com

--
/-/`|`\<
Hong-Taek Kwon

James Arguello

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

Peter Yao wrote:

> BTW who brought the UY anime here? I was considering watching that too.
> (*sigh* damn my wallet is hurting these days.)
>

> --
> I am the hate you try to hide

Animeigo subtitled and brought a bunch of UY tapes here, not the whole
series but like around 70 so odd episodes at four episodes (100 min) per
tape. The animation is pretty retro late 70's early 80's with of course
weird-o disco music. But really funny and enjoyable! I can't believe it
was made so far back!