Daigakusei no Ranma - Episode 6 [Fanfic]

Ranma Saotome

Jun 20, 1994, 8:18:15 PM6/20/94

To subscribe to the DnR mailing list, send a message to:
LIST...@ARIZVM1.CCIT.Arizona.EDU
with the words "SUBSCRIBE RND [your name] - [your college/employment]"
as the body of the message.

All episodes are archived at -
wpi.wpi.edu (login: anonymous /anime/ranma.daigakusei.#.gz)
Paladine.HACKS.Arizona.EDU (login: anonymous /pub/daigakusei.ranma.#.Z)
Episodes are also available in PostScript(tm) format on Paladine site
under the filenames DnR#.ps.Z

Original artwork by Jong Man Hwang is on the Paladine site
in the /sketches directory.

For more information, send mail to ra...@HACKS.Arizona.EDU

---cut here---

Their relationship has been a volatile one.
She, a boy-hating tomboy.
He, a martial artist cursed to be an aquatranssexual.
Engaged against their will, they learned to tolerate each other.
Now, their relationship is moving on to the next level.
They must learn not only to cope with their new relationship, but with college.
Their names are Ranma and Akane Saotome.
This is their story.

Daigakusei no Ranma

Episode 6: "The Play's The Thing"

Written by David Tai and Paul Gallegos
Original Artwork by Jong Man Hwang

Based on characters created by Rumiko Takahashi

[Mizunoikan University, late afternoon. Akane is standing under a tree with a
female classmate, who's busy chattering away...]

Classmate: ... and then he just said, "I'll get married!" And the poor girl
thought he was talking to her! So she says, "So that's WHY you were
screaming about marriage. Of course, I'll marry you." What an
idiot...

Akane: Uh huh... [looks at the school clock tower]

Classmate: You okay? You look distracted.

Akane: Oh, I'm just waiting for Ranma...

Classmate: Ranma? You're lucky!

Akane: Lucky?

Classmate: You've got such a kawaii husband...

Akane: Uh... yeah...

[A figure pops down in front of Akane and her classmate, startling the two of
them.]

Ranma: [hanging upside down from a branch] Hey, Akane...

[Akane's immediate response is to slam Ranma into the ground.]

Akane: Don't EVER scare me like that again!

Ranma: [face in ground] Umphggf...

Classmate: [eyes wide open] Uh... I'll see you in class tomorrow, Akane-san.

Akane: [glaring at Ranma with closed fists] Ja ne, Shinobu-san...

[The girl takes off in a hurry. Akane picks up Ranma and starts dragging him
with her.]

Akane: I hope you're happy. NEVER ever sneak up on a person when she's having a
private conversation...

Ranma: Umpf...

Akane: What did you hear, anyway? [thinking] Did he hear me?

Ranma: [muttering] I was just waiting for you. [Takes out a paper] Here, this
is for you.

[Akane stops, lets go of Ranma, and grabs the paper. Ranma stands up and dusts
himself off.]

Akane: What's so...

[Over her shoulder, we see the following:

" TRY-OUTS!

Shakespeare's _Taming of the Shrew_

All students welcome to audition! "

Akane's eyes sparkle as she reads those words.]

Akane: [looking up at Ranma] Where'd you get this?

Ranma: It was on the tree earlier. I was bored waiting for you. Just thought
you'd be interested, being a theater arts major and all...

Akane: [looking down] Tryouts are tomorrow. [Looks up] Um... thank you.

Ranma: Sure.

[Akane starts walking for home, Ranma alongside her.]

Akane: I've got a great idea for what we're eating for dinner...

Ranma: Sure. Where do you want to go to?

Akane: Go to? I'm cooking.

[Ranma stops, as Akane keeps walking. Then, shrugging, he hops up on a nearby
fence and starts walking with a look of foreboding on his face.]

* * *

[It's a pleasant evening outside the new Nekohanten. The sun is setting, the
first stars are starting to make their first twinkles, the air is calm, and
cheers can be heard from inside the bar. Soon, however, it is drowned by one
loud shout.]

Shampoo's voice: [from inside the bar] No money? OUT!

[A figure flies out and slams into the nearest telephone pole. He slowly glides
to the ground. The figure emits a moan and raises its head.]

Lardizabal: [Slurly] Cute, isn't she? [face plops down into the dirt.]

[Whistling is heard coming from down the street. A tall figure marches down
the sidewalk, oblivious to the world. The figure is clutching what appears
to be a book to his chest. The figure approaches... and steps on Lardizabal,
forcing a huge scream, as Lardizabal heaves himself off the ground and sends
the figure flying.]

Lardizabal: HEY!

[The figure lands on his face, with the book, _The Collected Works of William
Shakespeare_, settling over his face. A flyer from inside the book flutters in
front of Lardizabal, who grabs it and glances at it. The figure stands up,
plucks the book off his head, and stares at Lardizabal.]

Kuno: I believe you have something of mine.

Lardizabal: So I do. Here. [Handing Kuno the flyer]

Kuno: Thank you... for returning my property.

Lardizabal: No problem. [sarcastically] Glad to be of service.

Kuno: Very well... good evening.

[Kuno walks away, reading the paper as he is lost in a state of bliss. We
glance over Kuno's shoulder to read the _Taming of the Shrew_ flyer, with the
additional words on it in Kuno's handwriting:

"Akane trying out! Must try out!"

Kuno continues to walk, as Lardizabal looks after him, with a small smile on
his face, obviously thinking of something.]

Lardizabal: Hey.

Kuno: [turning around] Yes?

Lardizabal: [motioning towards Nekohanten] Want to grab a few drinks?

Kuno: Why should I?

Lardizabal: My way of apologizing for getting in your way...

Kuno: All right...

[The two of them disappear into the Nekohanten...]

* * *

[At Mizunoikan University, the next day, long lines are seen at the auditorium.
A figure with a clipboard paces back and forth across the stage.]

Manager: Ok, ladies and gentlemen, we have a lot of work to do today, so settle
down, please! We're going to do the readings for the lead roles first,
and then the supporting cast at noon today. Those who are interested
in working with the stage crew, please go and talk to the stage
manager at the back of the auditorium. The rest of you who are trying
for supporting roles, come back after lunch.

[At this, many of the students leave the auditorium, while others file to the
back of the room. Akane, however, decides to stay at the front.]

Ukyou's voice: Akane! Are you trying out, too? That's so cool!

[Akane looks around, and locates Ukyou.]

Akane: Hi, Ukyou! Yeah, I thought I'd give this a shot, seeing as it's my
major and all.

Ukyou: What part are you going to try out for?

Akane: I was thinking of just trying for Bianca, what about you?

Ukyou: Katherine. I've always loved _The Taming of the Shrew_, and I thought
I could do a great Katherine.

Akane: To be honest, I don't think I've ever read _Taming of the Shrew_, but
I do like Shakespeare... [sighs] Oh, I don't know what I'm doing here.

Ukyou: Oh, c'mon Akane! You'll do fine. Just pretend that you are the
character and let it all flow from your heart. [smiles]

Akane: Well, I...

Director: [interrupting] You! Come on, you're next!

Ukyou: [whispering] Go on!

[Akane looks back at Ukyou, then climbs the stairs to the stage. As she reaches
the top of the stairs, she spies Lardizabal in the crowd of men waiting for
their tryouts. He waves at her and smiles, causing her to look quickly at the
floor.]

Director: [impatient] Well? Are you going to read for the part or not? I don't
have all day.

Akane: H..Hai!

[Akane walks over to the center of the stage to begin her tryout, as both Ukyou
and Lardizabal look on. Unfortunately for Lardizabal, most of the males in the
room also notice Akane and stop to watch, much to his disdain.]

Lardizabal: [facing the men in the room] Hey! What're you looking at?!? Don't
you have something else to do???

Director: [to Lardizabal] QUIET!!

Lardizabal: [meekly] Hai...

* * *

[As the sun is starting to set and the shadows fall across the campus, a lone
figure stumbles into the auditorium.]

Kuno: Those who would beseech my presence in the theater of the arts, know now
that I have arrived to take my place among those who have left their
legacy in these hallowed halls. [holds head] If only the ground would
stop moving...

[Lardizabal walks by with a self-satisfied expression on his face, having just
finished his tryouts.]

Lardizabal: Ah, Kuno... didn't see you at the tryouts. Too bad you didn't make
it on time- tryouts are over. Better luck next time.

Kuno: What are you saying? It's 6:30. Tryouts aren't for another half-hour.

Lardizabal: It's 6:30, alright. 6:30 _pm_. [grins] By the way, thank you for
paying the bill.

[Lardizabal disappears into the sunset, with a wave, as Kuno face-faults...
and then falls down from shock.]

* * *

[Next day, Akane, with Ranma in tow, shoves her way through a crowd to read the
cast that has been posted in front of the Theatre Arts department.]

Akane: I hope I get a good role! I tried for so many parts...

[Ranma just sighs, with a look of boredom on his face. They finally reach the
billboard.]

Akane: [with a look of anticipation on her face] So... what did I get?

[They scan the names and arrive at "Kuonji Ukyou".]

Ranma: Ukyou's in the play?

Akane: Chikusho. She's Bianca. I wanted that part.

[Ranma scans further and discovers "Tanaka Lardizabal"]

Ranma: Lardizabal is Petruchio? Who's Petr...

Akane: Where am I?

[They finally locate "Tendo Akane", and both of them stare at the cast list.]

Ranma: Tendo?

Akane: KATHERINE?

Ranma: [turning to Akane] Why doesn't it say "Saotome"?

Akane: [turning to Ranma] Isn't that the shrew? [horror dawning] I have to
play the Shrew?!

Ranma: [crosses arms over chest] That shouldn't be too hard. You're a natural.
Now what about Sao-

Akane: [interrupting] BAKA!

[The last scene we see is a Ranma-shaped hole in the ceiling, through which
Ranma can be seen flying the friendly skies...]

* * *

Hitomi: You said that?

Ranma: [rubbing head] She didn't have to get that upset about it...

[Ranma and Hitomi are sitting at a table at Chez Funsui, sharing a pot of tea.
Hitomi points at Ranma.]

Hitomi: You really don't know girls that well, huh?

Ranma: Hey, I spent most of my childhood in training. I didn't exactly have
time to meet girls... well, there was one, but I thought she was a boy.

Hitomi: A boy? [giggles] So how did you get married to Akane if you didn't know
much about girls?

Ranma: It was... arranged.

Hitomi: Isn't that out of date? Why did you go along with it?

Ranma: Uh... it was a matter of honor.

Hitomi: Oh, I see. Some samurai code of honor or something?

Ranma: [thinking of Nodoka] You could say that.

Hitomi: Anyway, you didn't have to insult Akane, you know? All you had to do
was offer to help her rehearse or something... just help her get over
the disappointment. What's _Taming of the Shrew_, anyway?

Ranma: Some gaijin play I never heard of. Umm... maybe Ukyou would know. She's
into literature and that kind of stuff. Hey, she's in the play too...

[A tall, thin pimply-faced young man with thick glasses mopping the floor
nearby calls out.]

Man: Hitomi, get back to work! Your break is over!

Hitomi: Oh, sorry. Gotta get back to work. [clears the table] Hope everything
works out with Akane. Maybe you can help both Akane and Ukyou rehearse
or something. Ja ne! [leaves]

Ranma: [sighs] What a way to spend an evening...

* * *

Akane: I'm KEEPING Tendo! I'm not using Saotome!

Ranma: You're married to me!

[The two of them are standing outside Ukyou's room, arguing]

Akane: So? It's only a marriage of convenience... or do you want to go talk to
your mother?

Ranma: ... [slight twitch below his eye] ...
But people will start asking questions when you call yourself
"Tendo Akane" instead of "Saotome Akane".

Akane: It's only my stage name. Why do you care?

Ranma: [opening his mouth] ...

[Ukyou opens the door.]

Ukyou: Konbanwa, Ranma, Akane! Come in! Ready to rehearse?

Akane: Yes, let's go. [walks into the room. Ranma follows, hands in pockets.]

Ukyou: I'm so glad you two could come by and help me practice. Want something
to eat?

Akane: Um, shrimp okonomiyaki.

Ranma: Pork okonomiyaki.

Ukyou: Are you sure you want that?

Ranma: Yeah. Why? Something wrong?

Ukyou: [pausing for a second] Uh... ok. If that's what you want.

[Ukyou walks into the kitchen as Akane and Ranma kneel down on the floor. Akane
pulls a script out of her bookbag, and starts scanning, while Ranma hums and
scans the room, noticing the Quadra computer on Makiko's desk, various fans
and masks on the walls, and Ukyou's large spatula hanging on the wall. Ukyou
comes out, carrying two plates of okonomiyaki and a bowl of noodles. She hands
the plates to Ranma and Akane, and eats the noodles, as Ranma and Akane
quickly down the okonomiyaki.]

Ukyou: Ok. Ready to practice, Akane?

Akane: Ok. What do you want to do first?

Ukyou: Umm... [flipping through pages] How about Act II, Scene I?

Akane: Ok.

[The two girls start going through their lines, as Ranma listens. Ranma soon
starts fidgeting, changing from a kneeling position into a crosslegged
position, and generally looking quite bored, as Akane flubs her lines.]

Akane: "What! will you not suffer me? Nay, now I see..." umm...

Ranma: Huh?

Ukyou: "She is your treasure, she must now have a husband..."

Ranma: What?

Akane: [repeating] "She is your treasure, she must now have a husband..."

Ranma: ARGH! What are you babbling about?

Ukyou: This is the scene where Katherine is complaining because Bianca gets
all the marriage proposals, and she has to...

Akane: "I must dance barefoot on her wedding day,
And, for your love to her, lead apes in hell.
Talk not to me: I will go sit and weep
Till I can find occasion of revenge."

[Ranma yawns.]

Ukyou: Bravo, Akane! Ok... um, next section with you... oh. That's the one with
Petruchio. Hmm... [looking at Ranma] Here. [gives Ranma her script]
You play Petruchio.

Ranma: [shocked] What? I have to do this?

Ukyou: Just help, will you?

Ranma: Okay. Um... [scanning page]
"Good-morrow, Kate; for that's your name, I hear.

Akane: [reading]
"Well have you heard, but something hard of hearing.
They call me Katherine that do talk of me."

Ranma: [looking up from script] Why do we have to talk like this?

Ukyou: It's a classic, okay? It's supposed to sound that way.

Akane: You didn't have a problem with _Romeo and Juliet_, did you? Just shut up
and read.

Ranma: Hmph... [starts reading]
"You lie, in faith; for you are called plain Kate,
And bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the cursed; [grins]
But Kate, the prettiest [slight twitch of the eye] Kate in Christendom.
Kate of Kate-Hall, my super-dainty Kate [clenches his teeth]
For dainties are all kates: And therefore, Kate,
Take this of me, Kate of my consolation;
Hearing thy mildness [coughs] prais'd in every town,
Thy virtues spoke of, and thy beauty sounded [rolls eyes]
Yet not so deeply as to thee belongs,
Myself am mov'd to woo thee for my wife."
[grimaces] I have to read this bakatare crap?!

Ukyou: Something wrong with your face?

Ranma: Uh, no...

Akane: [reading]
"Mov'd! in good time: let him that mov'd you hither
Remove you hence. I knew you at the first,
You were a moveable."

Ranma: [puzzled] What? What's a moveable?

Akane: [reading] "A joint-stool."

Ranma: Huh?

Ukyou: Read!

Ranma: Uh...
"Thou hast hit it: come, sit on me." [Ukyou giggles. Ranma glares.]

Akane: "Asses are made to bear, and so are you." [Ranma glares at Akane, as
Akane struggles to keep a straight face.]

Ranma: "Women are made to bear, and so are you." [Ranma grins, as both Ukyou
and Akane frown.]

Akane: "No such jade as bear you, if me you mean."

Ranma: "Alas! good Kate, I will not burden thee;
For knowing thee to be but young and light, -"

Akane: "Too light for such a swain as you to catch,
And yet as heavy as my weight should be."

Ranma: [grinning] Heavy, huh?

Akane: [glaring at Ranma] You saying I'm fat? Listen...

Ranma: If the dress DOESN'T fit...

Ukyou: Uh, Ranma... [reading over his shoulder] Why don't you start
at this line? [points in the book.]

Ranma: Um... [reading]
"Come, come, you wasp; ill faith, you are too angry."

Akane: [starting to show signs of anger]
"If I be waspish, best beware my sting."

Ranma: [sticking his tongue out] "My remedy is then, to pluck it out."

Akane: [brows meeting] "Ay, if the fool could find it where it lies."

Ranma: In your butt, where else? [Akane glares at Ranma.]
Umm... "Who knows not where a wasp does wear his sting? In his tail."
[aside to Ukyou] Close enough.

Akane: [trying to ignore Ranma, continues] "In his tongue."

Ranma: Huh? [glances at page] "Whose tongue?

Akane: "Yours, if you talk of tails; and so farewell."

[Akane stands up, and Ranma follows suit.]

Ranma: "What! with my tongue in your tail? Nay, come again:
Good Kate, I am a gentleman."

Akane: "That I'll try." [hits Ranma, sending him flying out through the wall.]

Ukyou: You didn't have to do that, Akane!

Akane: What? It's in the script!

* * *

[Outside Ukyou's room, Makiko and Junko are talking, as Makiko is searching
through her purse for her keys.]

Makiko: Great movie, wasn't it? Kurasawa knows his stuff.

Junko: Yeah, great movie. I can see why Shakespeare ripped off _King Lear_
from _Ran_.

Makiko: Shakespeare. [shudders] Don't mention him. My roommate's been driving
me nuts, quoting from that play... uh... what is it...

Junko: _Taming of the Shrew_? Ukyou's in it? Cool. I almost tried out, but...

Makiko: What? [kneels down, dumps the contents of her purse on the floor, and
starts combing through computer floppies, tissue, various papers with
computer code scribbled all over them, rainbow-colored pens, cassette
tapes, and various other things] Why didn't you try out?

Junko: I just... didn't feel comfortable with so many people looking at me...

Makiko: So? Try it, it's a blast!

Junko: Why don't you try it?

Makiko: Who, me? No, I just prefer my computer...

Junko: So, you don't deal well with people either?

Makiko: Actually, I do. There's a whole new world out there in computers...
just try it. Better action than that old boring Shakespeare!

[Makiko combs through the mess on the floor for her keys...]

Junko: Shakespeare does have his points...

Makiko: [interrupting] Here's my keys!

[Makiko stands up and unlocks the door, opening the door to reveal Ranma and
Akane shouting at each other, Ukyou vainly trying using her spatula to keep
the two of them away from each other.]

Ranma: "I swear I'll cuff you if you strike again!" [waves a fist]

Akane: "So may you lose your arms:
If you strike me, then you are no gentleman;
And if no gentleman, why, then, no arms!"

[Akane grabs Ranma's arms and yanks hard, as Ranma yelps. Makiko shuts the
door quickly and puts her back to the door.]

Junko: [concerned] Makiko?

Makiko: [shrugs] I guess you're right- Shakespeare does have his points. A bit
too much action for my tastes, though. Wanna go get something to eat?

Junko: [nods] Sure...

[The two of them gather up the contents of Makiko's purse and depart, leaving
the shouting from Ukyou's room behind them.]

* * *

[At the new Nekohanten, Lardizabal is slumped over in his barstool.]

Mousse: [talking to picture on wall] Haven't you had enough yet?

Lardizabal: [slurly] Shut up. I'm not even close to being drunk.

[Lardizabal gets out his script and starts to read through it.]

Mousse: [peering over bar] What's that?

Lardizabal: [not looking up] My script. I have to memorize this thing soon.

Mousse: I didn't know you were an actor. Which Noh theater are you playing in?

Lardizabal: [looking up] It's NOT a Noh drama! It's Shakethp... Shakethp..
that old gaijin dude that did _Taming of the Shrew_.

Mousse: [disinterested] Oh. [turns around and goes back to cleaning up]

Lardizabal: [looking back at script] Besides, Akane-san is in the play.

Mousse: [turns back around] Oh?

Lardizabal: Yeah. She and I are theater arts majors. I met her last year in
one of my classes.

Mousse: [leans against bar] What made you decide to be a theater arts major?

Lardizabal: [looks up] Well, you know I practice Drunken Style martial arts...
I need to improve my ability to act so my style is more effective.
So.. to get practice, I have to act in some plays. [shrugs]

Mousse: Hmmm. [nods slowly]

Lardizabal: [puts away script] Well, I guess I'd better get home... need to
study this [pats pocket] more.

Mousse: [holds up hand] Oh, before you go... there's the matter of your tab...
[puts tab on bar]

Lardizabal: [sheepishly] Uh...

* * *

Hitomi: [rubbing Ranma's neck and shoulders] She really did that??

Ranma: [nods gingerly] Hai. [mutters] Kawakune.

[Ranma and Hitomi are sitting together in a booth near the back of Chez Funsui.
Ranma reaches for the teapot. Hitomi swats his hand playfully, and then pours
more tea for Ranma.]

Ranma: [smiles] Arigato.

Hitomi: [smiles] I really think you should be a little more understanding.
Remember, this is her major. I know you agreed to help and all, but
you shouldn't be trying to upset her at the same time.

Ranma: [sighs and looks out window] I didn't _agree_ to help. It was more like
I was "volunteered" to help.

Hitomi: Either way, you need to be supportive, ne?

Ranma: [nods slowly] Guess so.

Hitomi: [pats Ranma on back] It won't be that bad. Trust me. [smiles]

Ranma: [looks at Hitomi, smiles slightly] Hai.

Hitomi: [giggles] And besides, anytime you have a fight with Akane, you can
always come to me for advice.

Ranma: [smirks] I'd be over here constantly.

[Hitomi and Ranma both fall fit in gales of laughter. As the laughing dies
down, a woman calls out from the back room.]

Woman: Hitomi, your break is over! We need you in the kitchen!

Ranma: Guess funtime's over. [smiles]

Hitomi: [sighs] Yeah. Too bad. [getting up out of booth]

Ranma: [looks around] What happened to that tall guy that was here last time?

Hitomi: [smirks] He got caught peeking in the ladies' dressing room.

Ranma: Oops. [grins]

Hitomi: "Oops" is right. The boss hit him over the head with a frying pan,
knocked him into the frying grease, dumped the dishwater down his
pants, and kicked him out.

Ranma: [cringing] Ouch.

Hitomi: [walking away] Oh, that's nothing. You should see her in a bad mood.

[Ranma face-faults.]

* * *

[The days go by in a blur. Akane and Ukyou on stage with scripts in hand
running through various scenes; Ranma sitting in the audience sleeping; Ranma
and Akane rehearsing at nights. Finally, the day of the dress rehearsal arrives.
At the auditorium, Akane and Ukyou are on stage rehearsing in period costumes.]

Akane: [adjusting costume] I think this is a little tight, don't you think?

Ukyou: [nods] Yeah, especially in the chest. [sighs] Now I know where the
character stereotype of the "dirty old man" came from.

Akane: [giggles] Yes, I can see that.

Ukyou: [twirls in constume] Do you think you're ready for opening night next
week? I'm so nervous!

Akane: Well... I'm a little nervous. Ranma _has_ been helping me a little
with my lines, but still...

Ukyou: [smiles] We'll do fine! [looks down at herself] And if all else fails,
we can do a little number for the boys in these costumes. [giggles]

[As the two converse, the director appears and sits in the front row of the
theater. Ranma also appears in the back of the theater and sits in a nearby
chair to watch.]

Director: Ok, everyone. We're going to rehearse some of the major scenes today.
Let's review the last scene. Everyone, turn to Act V, Scene II.

Ranma: [to himself] How much longer do I have to wait?

Manager: [motions] Ok, where's Bianca? [Ukyou steps foward] Katherine? [Akane
stands next to Ukyou] And Petruchio. [no one moves] Where's Petruchio?

[Lardizabal quickly rushes out from backstage and adjusts his sword so it
doesn't keep slapping him in the thigh.]

Ranma: Lardizabal got the Petruchio part. That's right... hmph. [slouches]

[The scene unfolds, as Ranma sits and watches as Akane, as Katherine, throws a
tantrum... then slowly confesses her love to Petruchio.]

Lardizabal: "Why, there's a wench! Come on, and kiss me, Kate."

[Both Ranma and Akane face-fault, as Lardizabal bends down to kiss Akane...]

Director: All right! That's good enough... let's move on. Bianca, let's cover
Act IV, Scene II! Everyone take their positions!

[Both Ranma and Akane lets out a breath of relief as Lardizabal briefly looks
disappointed, and then, with a sweeping bow, departs stage right.]

* * *

[Sunset, Ranma and Akane are walking home, in ominious silence.]

Ranma: So, uh... what are you cooking for dinner?

Akane: [curiously looks at Ranma] Are you feeling all right?

Ranma: [turns face away from Akane] Of course. I was...

Akane: [moving to get a look at Ranma's face] You're jealous, aren't you?

Ranma: Don't be ridiculous.

Akane: [small smile] Don't worry. I'm not letting him kiss me.

Ranma: [grumpily] How? You going to tape his mouth shut?

Akane: Well... yeah.

Ranma: Fat chance he'll let you do that.

Akane: Why? It worked on you, didn't it?

Ranma: Maybe I let you do it...

Akane: [getting mad] You saying you didn't want to kiss me that time?

[They arrive at Maison Sabaku]

Ranma: [opening the front door] Who would want to?

Akane: ... You ARE jealous. [climbing stairs]

Ranma: Am not. [follows Akane]

Akane: [unlocking and opening the door to Room 4] Good. Then you won't mind
if I kiss Tanaka-san in the play, ne?

Ranma: I think you should be more concerned with Tanaka-san kissing YOU...

[Akane glares. Then without a word, she enters the apartment. Ranma starts to
follow, only to get the door slammed in his face.]

Akane's voice: I don't think I'll have to worry about that...

Ranma: [pounding on door] Hey, let me in.

[There is no further response from Akane, as Ranma continues to knock on the
door.]

Ranma: [steps back] Chikusho! MOUKO TAKA-

Toshi: [popping head out of his apartment door] Hey! Can't an old man get any
rest?

Ranma: [bows] Gomen nasai, gomen nasai...

Toshi: [coming out of the doorway] What's the problem?

Ranma: Uh... [hand behind head]

Toshi: [following Ranma's eyes to the door] A fight, huh? [smiles] Oh well.
Give her time... she'll forgive you. In the meantime, come on over.
It's not often I get company... with Sato-san gone, it'd be nice to have
someone to talk to. [starts pushing Ranma towards his apartment]

Ranma: But...

Toshi: Oh, hush up, boy. You need to give women time to calm down, especially
that one. That one does seem to have quite a temper, eh? Let me tell
you, in my day, women were...

[Ranma enters Toshi's room with a look of resignation on his face.]

* * *

[Kazuyo's apartment.]

Kazuyo: [sipping tea] So how is Saotome-san doing?

Toshi: [sipping tea] Eh, he's been moping around my apartment for a few days.
I've been telling him all about my experiences with women and...

[Flashback: Ranma sitting there utterly bored while Toshi animatedly rant about
how women knew their places in the household]

Kazuyo: [sighs] Yes, but I understand today's women are... more liberated.

Toshi: Yeah. A shame, a shame. In my day...

Kazuyo: Yes, yes... well. I'm grateful you put up Saotome-san. Hitomi-san
was quite willing, but...

Toshi: Improper, I say!

Kazuyo: Yes. And Ketibeppu-san... [shakes head]

Toshi: Hmph! Better to stay with me than that hentai Choji.

[A sneeze from upstairs is heard.]

Kazuyo: At least Ranma has no need to be as desperate as Ketibeppu-san...

* * *

[*SPLASH*]

Ranma-chan: [tightening her belt] That does it. I'm not going to let that
drunken slob kiss Akane, much less anything else. [looks around]
Besides, Toshi is BORING.

[A sneeze from downstairs is heard.]

Ranma-chan: [grabs clothes] I'm just glad Akane left the window open today.

[Ranma-chan finishes dressing, then grabs a ribbon and ties it in her hair
before looking at herself in the mirror. She is dressed in one of Akane's
skirts and blouses, the latter being noticably tight across the chest.
Ranma-chan sighs in frustration.]

Ranma-chan: [adjusting blouse] I swear, Akane needs to buy bigger clothes. Her
stuff never fits me in this form!

[Ranma-chan turns around in the mirror, adjusts the blouse once more, then
gives up on it and untucks it from the skirt, letting it hang loose. She then
leaves via the window.]

* * *

Lardizabal: [slurly] Whaddya mean you're cutting me off?

Bartender: You've had quite enough. And it's not even evening yet, you drunken
slob! Pay your bill and get out of my bar!

Lardizabal: "Drunken slob"? I'll show you...

[As Ranma-chan turns the corner, a body goes flying past, narrowly missing her
by inches, and landing against the wall across the street.]

Bartender: AND STAY OUT! [slams door]

Lardizabal: [upside down] That didn't hurt. *hic*

Ranma-chan: Tanaka-san? [walks over to him]

Lardizabal: Huh? Do I know you? [tries to peek up Ranma-chan's skirt]

[Ranma-chan notices Lardizabal's obvious attempt and "accidentally" kicks
him in the face.]

Ranma-chan: [giggling] Oh, I'm so sorry! I just slipped!

Lardizabal: [with footprint on face] Quite alright.

Ranma-chan: [giving Lardizabal cute look] Can I help you with anything?

Lardizabal: [getting up] No, I'm fine, really [sways and reaches hand out
to steady himself... onto Ranma-chan's breast] Uh...

[*SLAM*]

Ranma-chan: Hentai.

Lardizabal: [with Ranma-chan's elbow in his face] Mmph.

Ranma-chan: Oh? [gives Lardizabal a cute look again and removes elbow] What did
you say?

Lardizabal: Gomen nasai! Is there any way I could make it up to you? [thinks,
then snaps fingers] I know, would you like to go to a play with me?
I'm playing the lead role in Mizunoikan's production of _The Taming
of the Shrew_.

Ranma-chan: [smiles cutely] Oh, that'd be so cool! Can I?

Lardizabal: [turns around to comb his hair] Of course, I'd love to have you
as my date for the evening.

Ranma-chan: [making gagging faces behind Lardizabal's back] I'd _love_ to go
with you.

[Lardizabal turns back around to face Ranma-chan, who _almost_ gets caught
making a face at him. She turns a bright shade of red.]

Lardizabal: [to himself, noticing Ranma-chan's rising colour] She must be
taken by my good looks.

[Ranma-chan tries to supress a giggle, as she notices that since Lardizabal
combed his hair, his face still shows the outline of the wall and both her
footprint and elbow print.]

Lardizabal: [to Ranma-chan] May I pick you up at 6:00 pm?

Ranma-chan: [blinks and swallows] Uh... how about I meet you in front of the
Mizunoikan auditorium at 6:00?

Lardizabal: That's perfectly acceptable. [turns to leave]

Ranma-chan: [mimics Lardizabal to herself] "Perfectly acceptable." Bleah.

Lardizabal: [takes three steps then turns around again] Oh, by the way, what's
your name?

Ranma-chan: [automatically] Saotome Ranma... [slaps hand over mouth]

Lardizabal: [blinks] Saotome? But...

Ranma-chan: [running down the street] See you tonight, handsome! [turns corner
and acts like she's going to be sick]

Lardizabal: Hmm. She must be that jerk's little sister. That's too bad. She's
too kawaii to have a brother like him...

[Lardizabal heads for home, talking to himself.]

* * *

[Mizunoikan University Auditorium, 5:50 pm. Cut to the backstage, and down
a hallway with many doors leading to dressing rooms. One in particular has a
light on underneath the door, with "Tanaka Lardizabal" written underneath
in sloppy kanji. Inside the room, Ranma-chan finishes an almost invisible
snare in the doorway.]

Ranma-chan: [to himself] When that jerk comes through this doorway, he'll be
helpless, and I'll take his place on stage. [stands up and ponders]
Hmmm. It can't be THAT hard to fake Petru... Petra... Peter...
whatever-his-name's lines. I did it before in _Romeo and Juliet_,
and I can do it again. [hits fist into her palm]

[Ranma-chan looks over at the makeup table and notices the clock there reading
5:58. She finishes up quickly and leaves.]

* * *

[In another dressing room, a young man is slowly rehearsing his lines.]

Young man: I hope Lardizabal gets sick... then I get to go on! [starry-eyed
look]

[*WHOMP*]

Kuno: So much for the understudy. Now for Tanaka-san...

* * *

[Lardizabal looks at his watch, which reads 6:00. He looks up and down the
street, noticing all the students walking by, a few of which are entering the
auditorium.]

Lardizabal: [to himself] It figures... anyone named "Saotome" would run out on
me.

Ranma-chan: [appearing behind Lardizabal] Hmmm? What was that about me?

Lardizabal: [jumps several feet in the air] Gomen gomen! I was wondering where
you had been...

Ranma-chan: I was... uh... slightly delayed in getting here. [smiles cutely]
Can we go see your dressing room? I've... uh... always wanted to
see what a acting star's dressing room looks like.

Lardizabal: [ego swelling] Uh, sure, it's just through these doors. [opens
door for Ranma-chan] After you, m'lady. [bows]

Ranma-chan: [gags but enters anyway] Arigato.

* * *

[Outside Lardizabal's dressing room.]

Kuno: [finishing picking lock] Yatta! Now, I shall get dressed and prepare for
the role that is rightfully mine. [steps inside]

[Cut to the auditorium. Ranma-chan and Lardizabal are walking through the main
entrance headed for backstage.]

Ranma-chan: So... when did you know that acting would be your calling?

Lardizabal: I guess it was when I was young, I just _knew_ that I had that
special...

Voice: [from backstage] AAAAAAAAAA!!

Ranma-chan: [blinks, looks at Lardizabal, blinks again] Wh.. what was that?

Lardizabal: I don't know, but I'm going to find out. [gestures to Ranma-chan]
Wait here, I don't want you getting hurt.

Ranma-chan: [snorts as Lardizabal leaves] To hell with that. Something must've
happened to my trap.

[Ranma-chan takes off after Lardizabal. She arrives just as Lardizabal opens
the door to his dressing room. He turns on the light and they both gasp in
shock. Kuno is hanging upside down, his face frozen in fear, staring with
sightless eyes at the ceiling. Lardizabal looks upwards and then quickly looks
away and shudders. Ranma-chan walks in and crosses her arms over her chest,
staring up at Kuno.]

Ranma-chan: [to herself] Kuno! Baka! That was meant for Lardizabal here.

[We follow her gaze to the ceiling, where a picture of Cologne wearing
(supposedly) sexy lingerie has been taped.]

Lardizabal: [grabbing Ranma-chan's shoulders and firmly escorting her out of
the room] You shouldn't see that. The horror... the horror...
[shudders]

Ranma-chan: [with a look of non-amusement on her face] Hai...

[Lardizabal enters the room, closing the door behind him. Ranma-chan flops down
on the ground, hands clapped over knees.]

Ranma-chan: Great. What now?

[A shadow falls over Ranma-chan.]

Akane: Konbanwa.

Ranma-chan: [looking up] Akane! Uh... [hops up]

Akane: So what are you doing? [She looks at the door, narrows her eyes, then
smiles.] So... you and Lardizabal...

Ranma-chan: [waving hands] It's not what you're thinking!

Akane: [starting to get mad] You were trying to break up the play, weren't
you?!

Ranma-chan: [does a double-take] Uh? Oh... umm...

Akane: [crossing arms] ...

Ranma-chan: Ok, so I was. What's your point?

Akane: [giving Ranma-chan a suspicious look] Why don't you just admit you're
jealous?

Ranma-chan: I'm not!

Akane: [throwing up her arms in disgust] Oh, just go home. Get a hot bath.
[hands Ranma-chan a ticket] Here. Come back and watch me, okay?

Ranma-chan: [staring at Akane] H-hai!

[Akane watches Ranma-chan leave in a hurry.]

Akane: [whispers] Ranma no baka.

* * *

[The auditorium is packed, as showtime begins. Ranma enters, dressed in his
usual red shirt/black pants outfit. Hitomi follows Ranma.]

Hitomi: I'm glad you were able to escort me!

Ranma: Uh... think nothing of it.

[They find a couple of empty seats and sit down.]

Hitomi: So, did you solve your problem with Akane?

[Ranma shrugs]

Hitomi: [pats Ranma's arm] Don't worry about it! [lights dims] Oh look, the
play's starting!

[Ranma fidgets through the first act, being utterly bored and managing to
convey it quite clearly.]

Hitomi: [whispering] Oh come on, it's not that bad, is it?

Ranma: [whispering] Worse. [slinks down in chair]

Hitomi: [whispering] You're just exaggerating. [smiles] Come on, it's not that
hard to understand, really. [wraps arm around Ranma's and leans on his
shoulder] Trust me.

Ranma: [stares at Hitomi's arm] ...

[As the play continues on, Hitomi seems to snuggle closer and closer to Ranma,
who is trying hard not to be embarrassed. Soon enough, however, the play hits
the intermission and lights come on.]

Hitomi: [getting up] I'm going to go get a drink. I'll be right back.

Ranma: [voice cracking] Take your time. [weak smile]

Hitomi: [frowns] You look sick. Do you want something to drink?

Ranma: [blinks, then straightens up] Uh, no I'm fine, really.

Hitomi: [quizzical look] Uh... ok. [smiles]

Ranma: [watches Hitomi head to the back of the theatre] Hmm. Maybe I should go
pay another visit to ol' Lardy...

[Ranma gets up and heads for backstage.]

* * *

Director: Ok, so far so good, everyone! Only a little bit more to go, keep up
the good work! [claps hands]

Lardizabal: [heads for dressing room] Great! This is the scene I've been
waiting for all night... wha?

Ranma: [casually leaning against door] And what might that be?

Lardizabal: You're not supposed to be back here. What do you want?

Ranma: [flips ponytail over his shoulder] Just for you to keep your lips off
Akane, if you know what's good for you. [starts to walk away]

Lardizabal: [sneers] Like hell I will. Akane doesn't deserve scum like you.

Ranma: [looks over his shoulder] And a drunken fool like you is the perfect
person for her.

Lardizabal: ...

[Cut to inside a nearby storage closet. Kuno is slowly awakening to the sounds
of an argument outside the door.]

Lardizabal's voice: Oh yeah? What are you going to do to stop me?

Ranma's voice: Don't push it...

Lardizabal's voice: You can't do anything to stop it. Petruchio kisses
Katherine in this play, like it or not, and I will
personally enjoy every second of it.

Kuno: [to himself] I must play the part of Petruchio!

[Outside the door, Lardizabal stands in a fighting stance facing Ranma.]

Lardizabal: You'll have to force me to not kiss Akane!

Ranma: [smugly] With pleasure.

[*SLAM*]

Ranma: [blinks at the suddenly opened door] ...

Kuno: [semi-crazed look] Akane's lips shall be mine!

[Kuno runs off toward the dressing rooms. After a moment, Ranma takes off after
him. The door to the storage closet slowly closes, and Lardizabal slides off it
onto the floor.]

Ranma: Kuno!

Kuno: [babbling] Akane... you are so beautiful... Akane...

[Ranma picks up a baton prop and hurls it at Kuno, tripping him up. Ranma
finally catches up to him.]

Ranma: [leaning over Kuno] Hands off Akane, jerk.

[Ranma then notices a movement out of the corner of his eye and leaps to
avoid the spear hurled at him. The spear sticks in the wall, and Ranma lands
on it.]

Lardizabal: [carrying spears] I've had enough of you! I'll see you dead!

Ranma: [cooly] Get in line.

Lardizabal: [infuriated] Die, scum! [hurls spear]

[Lardizabal hurls spears at Ranma, who in turn leaps up to avoid each one. As
each spear lands and sticks in the wall, Ranma lands in it and jumps away again
avoiding the next. This continues until Ranma runs out of room... banging his
head on the ceiling.]

Ranma: [holds head] Ite!

Lardizabal: Hah! I have you now! [begins to climb up after Ranma]

[Ranma just smirks as Lardizabal starts his ascent.]

Ranma: [sticks tongue out] Bleah. I'm surprised you can climb, you barfly.

Lardizabal: [angry] You will pay for all your insults! [keeps climbing]

Ranma: [amused expression] You're not afraid of heights, are you?

Lardizabal: [looks down] Ulp... [focuses back on Ranma] Th..That won't stop me!

[As Lardizabal is about to reach Ranma, Ranma jumps down and away, breaking
each spear on his way down, stranding Lardizabal near the ceiling. On his way
down, however, he breaks another wooden stake with a rope attached to it.]

Kuno: [slowly getting up] Who dares... [looks around] What's that sound?
[whistling sound gets louder] Where is it coming from?

[Kuno looks up at the same time one of the scenery counter-balances face-plants
him, and collapses in a heap on the ground. Meanwhile, Lardizabal has now
realized his situation.]

Lardizabal: Saotome! You can't just leave me here!

Ranma: [tips an imaginary hat] Gomen. You'll just have to wait 'til after the
play's over. [smirks] Assuming I remember to come back to get you.
[walks out]

Lardizabal: No, wait! Get me down from here!

* * *

Ranma: [sits down next to Hitomi] Ah. Much better.

Hitomi: [noticing Ranma's rumpled shirt] Where have you been all this time?
[starts fixing Ranma's collar] You missed most of the fourth act.

Ranma: Uh... [smells Hitomi's perfume] H..Hitomi-chan.. you really don't need
to...

Hitomi: [blinks and looks up] Hmm?

[Hitomi's face is literally inches away from Ranma's, and he immediately pulls
away from her with a look of embarrassment.]

Ranma: I .. uh... [looks at stage] I think it's about time for the play to
continue.

Hitomi: [smiles and settles back in her chair] Ah, you're right. [leans against
Ranma's arm]

[Ranma tenses up.]

* * *

[Backstage, the Director is pacing back and forth tearing his hair out.]

Director: [angrily] WHERE IS THAT BARO?!?? TANAKA!!!!

[Actors and actresses are scrambling all over the backstage area to get out
of the director's way. In the middle of all this, Akane stands, arms folded
over her chest, tapping her foot impatiently.]

Akane: [to herself] I wonder where Tanaka-san went...?

[Akane walks past Lardizabal's dressing room and heads towards the very back of
the backstage. Soon, she comes upon what looks to be the scene of a fight.
Bits and pieces of broken wood and splinters litter the floor, and a huge
counter-balance lies in a heap on the floor. Akane looks up and sees Lardizabal
asleep stranded in a corner of the ceiling clutching a bottle. She shakes her
head and walks back to where everyone else is running around.]

Director: Get the understudy!!!

Girl: [arriving on the scene] Saito-san is out cold!

[The Director starts tearing his hair out, crying.]

Akane: Hmmm.

[Akane walks over to the director and taps him on the shoulder.]

Akane: Well, if Tanaka or Saito can't play the part, I think I know someone
who can...

* * *

Hitomi: [turning to Ranma] What do you think is keeping the play from
continuing?

Ranma: [trying to supress a smirk] I dunno. Maybe one of the lead actors
suddenly decided not to go on?

Hitomi: [flops back in her seat, arms crossed defiantly] Hmph. And I wanted
to watch the end, too. [sniffs] My first play, and it has to end like
this.

Ranma: ... [gulps] Well, Hitomi-chan, I could always go and see what...

Akane: [grabs Ranma's ponytail] Quick. You're coming with me.

Ranma: [being dragged out of chair] But...

Hitomi: Akane-san! What's going on??

Akane: [dragging Ranma behind her] We need another Petruchio. Ranma's acted
before, so he'll have to fill in.

Hitomi: [claps hands together] Oh! Ranma-kun, I didn't know you could act!
[dreamy look]

Ranma: [being dragged down the aisle] Neither did I...

* * *

[Backstage, Ranma is finishing getting dressed in a spare costume.]

Ranma: [admiring reflection in mirror] Heh. This looks a lot better on me
than it did on Lardy...

Akane: [walking in] Are you ready yet? The director's furious! [closes door
behind herself]

Ranma: Why'd you have to pick me, anyway? [straightens swordbelt]

Akane: Because you're the only other one that knows the lines. Tanaka-san
seems to have disappeared. [lowers her voice] You wouldn't happen to
know anything about that, would you? [narrows eyes]

Ranma: [backs up a step] Uh... not a thing, nope. [blinks and pauses for a
moment] Hey... don't you people have understudies or something in case
of emergencies like this?

Akane: Yeah, but the understudy is unconscious...

Ranma: What? I didn't do anything to him... [claps hand over mouth] Uh... I
mean...

Akane: [glowing a greenish-blue colour] So... you DID have something to do
with Tanaka-san's disappearance... [takes a step forward]

Ranma: [backs up against wall, holding hands in front of him] Now, Akane, don't
do anything stupid... I mean, it was for your own good...

Akane: [raises hand intending to slap Ranma] RANMA NO...

[The door opens suddenly, knocking Akane into Ranma's arms in a slightly cozy
and uncomfortable embrace.]

Director: [angry shade of red] STOP MAKING OUT AND GET ON THE STAGE NOW!!!!

Akane & Ranma: [bowing] Hai!

[Both rush out of the dressing room in a hurry and head for the stage.]

* * *

[As the curtain rises, the lights in the auditorium finally grow dark, to the
relief of most of the understandably impatient audience. Ranma and Akane,
followed by several others, come on stage on a brightly lit stage.]

Ranma: [whispering to Akane] I don't remember this scene!

Akane: [whispering] Just repeat what I say...

Ranma: [lipreading Akane]
"Come on, i' God's name; once more toward our father's.
Good Lord, how bright and goodly shines the moon!

Akane: "The moon! the sun: it is not moonlight now."

[Ranma, unfortunately, echoes Akane, causing laughter and dark glares from the
director, who is busy ripping his hair out.]

Akane: [whispering] You weren't supposed to repeat me!

Ranma: [whispering] It's obviously bright; why am I saying it's moonlight?

Akane: [whispering] You're supposed to show that you're my superior.

Ranma: [whispering] No problem... no problem at all. [Akane glares.]
"I say it is the moon that shines so bright!"

Akane: "I know it is the sun that shines so bright..."

* * *

Kuno: [groans] What the... [realises he can't get up] Chikusho!

[Kuno finds his bokken lying nearby and slices open the counter-balance,
spilling sand everywhere.]

Kuno: [dragging himself out] Whoever did this shall pay dearly... [dusts
himself off and looks up] Oho! I spy the culprit now!

[Kuno picks up a large trunk and hurls it at the sleeping (passed out?) form
of Lardizabal among the ceiling rafters. Lardizabal awakens with a start as the
trunk crashes into a nearby rafter, and he almost forgets his precarious
position.]

Lardizabal: [regaining balance] Hey! Watch that!

Kuno: [hurling prop rain barrel] You shall pay for this insult!

Lardizabal: [avoiding barrel, barely] What'd I do to you?

Kuno: [throwing several prop knives] I cannot forgive this travesty of justice!
You have no right to wear that costume!

Lardizabal: [jumps to avoid knives, grabbing onto rafter] Says who? Obviously
the better actor is playing Petruchio!

* * *

[The scene on stage continues, as Ranma sets out to irritate Akane... and
Akane's look on her face clearly shows he's succeeding...]

Ranma: "Now, by my mother's son, and that's myself,
It shall be moon, or star, or whatever I list...

[Akane glares as Ranma and the other actors complete their lines... clearly
hating what she's about to say...]

Akane: "Forward, I pray, since we have come so far,
And be it moon, or sun, or whatever you please.
And if you please to call it a rush-candle,
Henceforth I vow it shall be so for me."

Ranma: [grinning as if he's won the argument]
"I say it is the moon."

[The director, offstage, smiles and releases his hair.]

Akane: [reluctantly] "I know it is the moon."

Ranma: "Nay, then you lie; it is the blessed sun." [clearly enjoying being
contrary]

Akane: [not enjoying taking this abuse from Ranma, let alone "Petruchio",
clenches her fists]
"Then God be bless'd, it is the blessed sun..."

Ranma: No, it's the moon...

[A bloodcurdling scream comes from the sidelines as the Director realizes Ranma
is ad-libbing.]

Akane: [brows together, whispering] Stick to the script!

Ranma: [points up to the ceiling dramatically] I say that is the moon!

Akane: [starting to turn an angry shade of red] You...

* * *

[Kuno continues to hurl props, weights, fire extinguishers, anything he can get
his hands on, at the mostly helpless Lardizabal, who is doing his best to avoid
getting hit. As each item misses its mark, however, it slams forcefully into
the ceiling support beams, splintering them bit by bit.]

Lardizabal: [swinging to avoid a nasty katana from _The Mikado_] I told you I
had nothing to do with that weight on your face!!

Kuno: [throws several balls varying numbers of stars on each] Quiet! You have
inconvenienced me for the last time! [attempts to pick up nearby piano]

Lardizabal: [eyes widen] Wait! Don't you think you're being a bit hasty?

Kuno: [hefting piano, grunting under its weight] Now... you... will... pay!

[Kuno throws the piano, missing Lardizabal by mere centimeters. The piano
crashes into the rafters with a sickening clang, completely breaking two beams
and cracking several others. The roof starts to groan under the stress of its
missing beams.]

Lardizabal: [yelling down] You missed! [hearing the rafters splinter, he looks
up. His jaw drops] Ba...ka... [closes eyes and covers head]

* * *

[Outside the auditorium, the auditorium slowly rumbles, then begin to collapse
in a cloud of dust. When the clouds begin to settle, the moonlight slowly
reveals a pile of rubble and wood. As we slowly fade out...]

Ranma's voice: It's the SUN!!!

Akane's voice: It's the MOON!!!