Anime refs in broader culture

Klyfix

Oct 1, 2002, 10:16:44 PM10/1/02
Hmm, well, not a great title.

Anyway, I was watching "Haunted" on UPN; a not too bad program. Our hero is
attempting to pass himself off as a manager in the course of an
investigation, and when he's asked what bands he represents he says
"Wicked City, Gunsmith Cats, G-Force." And notes something about
them being imports.

Now, other than a fansub of "Gatchaman" of some end ep that was never
actually shown on TV in this country if I'm not mistaken, I've not seen
any of those, but I know the names. Wonder how many folk will recognize
them.

Also noted an off bit in the opening ep of "Everwood"; had no desire really
to watch it so when I happened upon it in the middle I was going to
immediately switch until I heard "The thing about manga is..."
That prompted a "Hello!" and we watched this little portion where we were
initially getting the impression that perhaps these days teenage girls get
really turned on by talking about Japanese comics, until of course
we find out that this is what the boy's erotic dreams are like. Okay.....
that prompted something along the lines of "Gee, they didn't do that
on shows when I was a kid" or some such thing, amongst other thoughts.

So, are Anime and Manga becoming so much in the front of people's minds
that references are going to be popping up all the time in regular TV shows?
Will there be references to Eva on "The West Wing"? A glimpse of
"Hellsing" on "Angel"? Or is this just a quirk 'cause some writers
felt like sticking in something obscure?

V. S. Greene : kly...@aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...
Eckzylon: http://m1.aol.com/klyfix/eckzylon.html
A rodent with mad skillz, uh, no.

D B Malmquist

Oct 2, 2002, 12:05:29 AM10/2/02
Klyfix wrote:

<<snips>>

Maybe tonight was a night for international film references?
"Buffy" started out with a nice homage to "Run Lola Run".

- dbm

Kishin

Oct 2, 2002, 5:08:22 AM10/2/02
In article <20021001221644...@mb-fw.aol.com>,
kly...@aol.comedy (Klyfix) wrote:

> So, are Anime and Manga becoming so much in the front of people's minds
> that references are going to be popping up all the time in regular TV shows?
> Will there be references to Eva on "The West Wing"? A glimpse of
> "Hellsing" on "Angel"? Or is this just a quirk 'cause some writers
> felt like sticking in something obscure?

These are called "in jokes," and the whole idea is that only a small
percentage of the audience will get them. Like the little R2-D2 on the
Close Encounters mother ship. It's funny to those in the know, and no
one else is supposed to notice.

Kishin

Kristopher Means

Oct 2, 2002, 10:56:46 AM10/2/02
Klyfix wrote:

> So, are Anime and Manga becoming so much in the front of people's minds
> that references are going to be popping up all the time in regular TV shows?
> Will there be references to Eva on "The West Wing"? A glimpse of
> "Hellsing" on "Angel"? Or is this just a quirk 'cause some writers
> felt like sticking in something obscure?

One of the worst (best) offenders of this was the Star Trek: The Next Generation
production crew. Of course, this assumes you consider Star Trek to be "broader
culture." :^P

I distinctly remember one ST:TNG episode where Riker came to terms with his
father by playing some sort of weird game on the holodeck wearing cheesy armor,
surrounded by all sorts of large, exotic, alien looking writings. But use the
freeze frame on your VCR and you'll see that it's all kanji of things like
"Cutey Honey," "Kei," "Yuri," etc. I seem to recall another reference in the
series where two ships were called Kei and Yuri. And of course, the alien that
stabbed Picard in the chest was a "Nausicaan."

>From what I understand, there are tons of anime references in ST:TNG and
ST:Voyager, but I'm not a hard core trekkie so you'll have to look the
others up for yourselves. ;->

-- Kris
kmeans AT mindspring DOT com

Pook!

Oct 2, 2002, 12:21:14 PM10/2/02
If kly...@aol.comedy (Klyfix) had a hammer, they might have built a
post that went like this:

>So, are Anime and Manga becoming so much in the front of people's minds
>that references are going to be popping up all the time in regular TV shows?
>Will there be references to Eva on "The West Wing"? A glimpse of
>"Hellsing" on "Angel"? Or is this just a quirk 'cause some writers
>felt like sticking in something obscure?

Well, in the movie One Hour Photo there was a key plot point that
revolved around a Neon Genesis Evangelion toy. I couldn't help but
wonder if the director and/or writer knew what a good match NGE was
for the tone and theme of the movie ;)

--Pook! ^_^

Klyfix

Oct 2, 2002, 3:44:40 PM10/2/02
In article <647mpusaejol3a56n...@4ax.com>, Pook!
<scal...@socal.rr.com> writes:

Oh, that film. That's another of those recent films where Robin Williams
plays a psycho, right? Was it actually any good? I confess that at this
point I'm more curious as to which Evangelion toy was in the plot
point. :)

Glenn Shaw

Oct 2, 2002, 10:47:08 PM10/2/02
Kristopher Means wrote:

> I seem to recall another reference in the series where two ships were
> called Kei and Yuri.

Two *planets*, actually.

In the episode "Peak Performance", during the tactical exercise briefing, a
display screen showed a graphic showing the star system that the exercise
was being held in. Two of the planets are named "Kei" and "Yuri"; the third
is named "Totoro."

And the code name of the tactical exercise? "Operation Lovely Angel".

--
Glenn Shaw
Indianapolis, IN USA

Ashez2ashes

Oct 2, 2002, 11:57:03 PM10/2/02
kly...@aol.comedy (Klyfix) wrote in message news:<20021001221644...@mb-fw.aol.com>...

> Hmm, well, not a great title.

> Also noted an off bit in the opening ep of "Everwood"; had no desire really
> to watch it so when I happened upon it in the middle I was going to
> immediately switch until I heard "The thing about manga is..."

The "P-chan" shirt caught my attention as I was flipping through. I'm
tempted to watch the next episode to see if any more anime in-jokes
occur. Then again, the show looked a bit "7th heaven-ish" to me...then
again, I didn't actually watch the episode...

Pook!

Oct 3, 2002, 2:44:39 AM10/3/02
If kly...@aol.comedy (Klyfix) had a hammer, they might have built a
post that went like this:

>In article <647mpusaejol3a56n...@4ax.com>, Pook!
><scal...@socal.rr.com> writes:
>

>>If kly...@aol.comedy (Klyfix) had a hammer, they might have built a
>>post that went like this:
>>
>>>So, are Anime and Manga becoming so much in the front of people's minds
>>>that references are going to be popping up all the time in regular TV shows?
>>>Will there be references to Eva on "The West Wing"? A glimpse of
>>>"Hellsing" on "Angel"? Or is this just a quirk 'cause some writers
>>>felt like sticking in something obscure?
>>
>>Well, in the movie One Hour Photo there was a key plot point that
>>revolved around a Neon Genesis Evangelion toy. I couldn't help but
>>wonder if the director and/or writer knew what a good match NGE was
>>for the tone and theme of the movie ;)
>>

>Oh, that film. That's another of those recent films where Robin Williams
>plays a psycho, right?

Yep.

> Was it actually any good?

I thought it was pretty good. Very unnerving. Didn't quite live up to
its own atmosphere of menace, but overall a very good movie.

> I confess that at this
>point I'm more curious as to which Evangelion toy was in the plot
>point. :)

That I couldn't tell you, since I've only watched a little bit of NGE.
It was a white one with a sword, and the kid in the movie called it
"The good guy." Possibly Shinji's EVA unit?

--Pook! ^_^

Glenn Shaw

Oct 3, 2002, 7:18:44 AM10/3/02
Pook! wrote:

> If kly...@aol.comedy (Klyfix) had a hammer, they might have built a
> post that went like this:
>

>> I confess that at this
>>point I'm more curious as to which Evangelion toy was in the plot
>>point. :)
>
> That I couldn't tell you, since I've only watched a little bit of NGE.
> It was a white one with a sword, and the kid in the movie called it
> "The good guy." Possibly Shinji's EVA unit?

I doubt it. Shinji's EVA unit, 01, is purple and green.

The only white EVAs I've seen were the mass-production EVAs, 05 through
13, which wielded large double-ended swords. And I wouldn't consider
them "good guys", considering that...

... Units 05 through 13 were sent by SEELE to destroy NERV and bring
about Third Impact, resulting in the destruction of human civilization
to bring about a new era of human existence. (The double-ended swords
carried by the MP EVAs were copies of the Lance of Longinus, the only
weapon aside from the Angels that could pose a serious threat to an
EVA.)

Torankusu-kaiou (Roid-Raging In The Rear)

Oct 3, 2002, 7:30:03 AM10/3/02

"Pook!" <scal...@socal.rr.com> wrote in message

> That I couldn't tell you, since I've only watched a little bit of NGE.
> It was a white one with a sword, and the kid in the movie called it
> "The good guy." Possibly Shinji's EVA unit?

That doesn't even sound like something from Eva to begin with. Definitely
wasn't Shinji's EVA, his is purple :P

That sounds more like a Gundam than anything...

--
Good Idea: Copping a feel
Bad Idea: Feeling a cop

* Mirai no Kaioushin Torankusu
http://www.lurkerdrome.com

A watched twat never oils.

Pook!

Oct 3, 2002, 1:56:06 PM10/3/02
If "Torankusu-kaiou \(Roid-Raging In The Rear\)"
<tk...@sbcglowball.net> had a hammer, they might have built a post that
went like this:

>"Pook!" <scal...@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>> That I couldn't tell you, since I've only watched a little bit of NGE.
>> It was a white one with a sword, and the kid in the movie called it
>> "The good guy." Possibly Shinji's EVA unit?
>
>That doesn't even sound like something from Eva to begin with. Definitely
>wasn't Shinji's EVA, his is purple :P
>
>That sounds more like a Gundam than anything...

Well, what can I say, see the movie. Looking around the 'net I
couldn't find a picture of a similar toy actually from NGE. It looked
to me kind of like something from Escaflowne, actually, but it
definitely said "Neon Genesis Evangelion" across the top and was
repeated a couple of times by more than one character. In the context
of the movie, it was a toy that the boy in the family that Sy the
photo guy (Williams) watches over was carrying around at the store
because he wanted it, but his Dad told him he didn't need a new toy.
Later Williams' character buys it for the kid and tries to give it to
him, but he turns it down. Later in the movie you see the toy by the
side of Sy's bed.

--Pook! ^_^

Rob Kelk

Oct 3, 2002, 4:06:30 PM10/3/02
Kristopher Means <I...@teS.pam> wrote:

<snip>

> One of the worst (best) offenders of this was the Star Trek: The Next Generation
> production crew. Of course, this assumes you consider Star Trek to be "broader
> culture." :^P
>
> I distinctly remember one ST:TNG episode where Riker came to terms with his
> father by playing some sort of weird game on the holodeck wearing cheesy armor,
> surrounded by all sorts of large, exotic, alien looking writings. But use the
> freeze frame on your VCR and you'll see that it's all kanji of things like
> "Cutey Honey," "Kei," "Yuri," etc. I seem to recall another reference in the
> series where two ships were called Kei and Yuri. And of course, the alien that
> stabbed Picard in the chest was a "Nausicaan."
>
> >From what I understand, there are tons of anime references in ST:TNG and
> ST:Voyager, but I'm not a hard core trekkie so you'll have to look the
> others up for yourselves. ;->

IIRC, one of the people on the Trek production staff (possibly Rick
Sternbach?) once stated that there was an anime reference in every
episode of ST:TNG. Sometimes they're obvious (such as in "Menage a
Troi", where the Ferengi captain's access code starts out "Kei-Yuri"),
sometimes they're so subtle you probably won't see them (such as the
holodeck menu offering a Tomobiki simulation). I don't know whether the
same holds true for the various other Trek series. (One thing I recall
hearing that they weren't allowed to do was put up a Dirty Pair poster
in Wesley's quarters...)

--
Rob Kelk http://robkelk.tripod.com/ robkelk -at- jksrv -dot- com
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

Doug Jacobs

Oct 3, 2002, 7:05:53 PM10/3/02
Kristopher Means <I...@tes.pam> wrote:

> I distinctly remember one ST:TNG episode where Riker came to terms with his
> father by playing some sort of weird game on the holodeck wearing cheesy armor,
> surrounded by all sorts of large, exotic, alien looking writings. But use the
> freeze frame on your VCR and you'll see that it's all kanji of things like
> "Cutey Honey," "Kei," "Yuri," etc. I seem to recall another reference in the
> series where two ships were called Kei and Yuri. And of course, the alien that
> stabbed Picard in the chest was a "Nausicaan."

Better yet, they were playing on top of the stylized "Sei" from Urusei
Yatsura.

And I seem to remember Weseley had a Yamato poster (of the space battleship
not the WW2 battleship) in his room - not to be confused with the USS
Yamato that exploded in another episode.

Lawrence Lin

Oct 3, 2002, 7:22:41 PM10/3/02
On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Rob Kelk wrote:

> same holds true for the various other Trek series. (One thing I recall
> hearing that they weren't allowed to do was put up a Dirty Pair poster
> in Wesley's quarters...)

Recounted here[1] (another related post[2]).

[1]:
http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9902A&L=nausicaa&P=R2505
[2]:
http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0103E&L=nausicaa&P=R282

--
[2048/1024 bit DH/DSS <ll...@u.washington.edu>]
Key ID: 0xF1B44F9D

Arnold Kim

Oct 3, 2002, 8:15:43 PM10/3/02

Torankusu-kaiou (Roid-Raging In The Rear) <tk...@sbcglowball.net> wrote in
message news:%SVm9.120$sj3.68...@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...

> "Pook!" <scal...@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> >
> > That I couldn't tell you, since I've only watched a little bit of NGE.
> > It was a white one with a sword, and the kid in the movie called it
> > "The good guy." Possibly Shinji's EVA unit?
>
> That doesn't even sound like something from Eva to begin with. Definitely
> wasn't Shinji's EVA, his is purple :P

Looks like you haven't seen End of Evangelion.

Arnold Kim
Though it certainly isn't one of the good guys...

Dave Menard

Oct 3, 2002, 8:35:55 PM10/3/02

"Pook!" wrote:

> I thought it was pretty good. Very unnerving. Didn't quite live up to
> its own atmosphere of menace, but overall a very good movie.
>
> > I confess that at this
> >point I'm more curious as to which Evangelion toy was in the plot
> >point. :)
>
> That I couldn't tell you, since I've only watched a little bit of NGE.
> It was a white one with a sword, and the kid in the movie called it
> "The good guy." Possibly Shinji's EVA unit?
>
> --Pook! ^_^

The Unit 04 figure is chrome-silver and comes with a rather large knife
amongst it's accessories- could this be the toy in question? (It's staring
me in the face as I write...)

--
Dave Menard
Hack-At-Large

Oshidori

Oct 4, 2002, 1:57:07 AM10/4/02
>>Well, what can I say, see the movie. Looking around the 'net I
couldn't find a picture of a similar toy actually from NGE. It looked
to me kind of like something from Escaflowne, actually, but it
definitely said "Neon Genesis Evangelion" across the top and was
repeated a couple of times by more than one character. In the context
of the movie, it was a toy that the boy in the family that Sy the
photo guy (Williams) watches over was carrying around at the store
because he wanted it, but his Dad told him he didn't need a new toy.
Later Williams' character buys it for the kid and tries to give it to
him, but he turns it down. Later in the movie you see the toy by the
side of Sy's bed. <<

i was just talking about that to a friend. It was kind of odd that the only
product shots seemed to be anime related.

I thought the ending was pretty flat. It kind of made the movie go from a
front page news story to a blurb somewhere on page 8 of the evening paper,
if that makes any sense. But Robin WIlliams is the man, he does the greatest
character work. The Hello Kitty and NGE shots made me happy though.

--

- Oshidori

Visit East Coast Cosplayers on EZ-Board!

http://pub84.ezboard.com/beastcoastcosplayers

Metro?? Pfft! You can't call our subway system something as fruity as *The
Metro*...I mean c'mon...there's a reason why we have rats down there the
size of French citizens!!
-Tojo

Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither
liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Rob Kelk

Oct 4, 2002, 9:38:27 AM10/4/02
On Thu, 3 Oct 2002 16:22:41 -0700, Lawrence Lin <ll...@u.washington.edu>
wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Rob Kelk wrote:
>
>> same holds true for the various other Trek series. (One thing I recall
>> hearing that they weren't allowed to do was put up a Dirty Pair poster
>> in Wesley's quarters...)
>
>Recounted here[1] (another related post[2]).
>
>[1]:
>http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9902A&L=nausicaa&P=R2505
>[2]:
>http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0103E&L=nausicaa&P=R282

Thanks!
--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.tripod.com> robkelk -at- jksrv -dot- com

dran

Oct 4, 2002, 8:42:36 PM10/4/02
"Torankusu-kaiou \(Roid-Raging In The Rear\)" <tk...@sbcglowball.net> wrote
in news:%SVm9.120$sj3.68...@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com:

> "Pook!" <scal...@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>> That I couldn't tell you, since I've only watched a little bit of NGE.
>> It was a white one with a sword, and the kid in the movie called it
>> "The good guy." Possibly Shinji's EVA unit?
>
> That doesn't even sound like something from Eva to begin with. Definitely
> wasn't Shinji's EVA, his is purple :P
>
> That sounds more like a Gundam than anything...

although there was a Gundam later in the film, That toy was definatly one
of the "white eva's" and that particular scene destroyed me and two
friends...I still wonder today what the other people in the theater thought
of our wailing and histerical laughter.
NO!!!! NOT GOOD!!!

Torankusu-kaiou (Roid-Raging In The Rear)

Oct 5, 2002, 1:10:14 AM10/5/02

"Arnold Kim" <ki...@erols.com> wrote in message

> > That doesn't even sound like something from Eva to begin with.
Definitely
> > wasn't Shinji's EVA, his is purple :P
>
> Looks like you haven't seen End of Evangelion.

Looks like I HAVE, actually, and am just trying very hard not to remember
it. And yes, the production model Evas were white, but definitely were NOT
the good guys. Which is why I had to consider the possibility it wasn't an
Eva at all, since being white, carrying a sword, and being a good-guy mecha
has a higher probability of being a Gundam than an Eva. :P

What I have NOT seen is the movie in question. If I had, then I'd know what
we're dealing with, but I haven't, so I have no way of knowing except
speculation, now do I?

Arnold Kim

Oct 5, 2002, 1:32:02 AM10/5/02

Torankusu-kaiou (Roid-Raging In The Rear) <tk...@sbcglowball.net> wrote in
message news:Wuun9.1886$9H1.21...@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...

> "Arnold Kim" <ki...@erols.com> wrote in message
> >

> > > That doesn't even sound like something from Eva to begin with.
> Definitely
> > > wasn't Shinji's EVA, his is purple :P
> >
> > Looks like you haven't seen End of Evangelion.
>
> Looks like I HAVE, actually, and am just trying very hard not to remember
> it. And yes, the production model Evas were white, but definitely were NOT
> the good guys. Which is why I had to consider the possibility it wasn't an
> Eva at all, since being white, carrying a sword, and being a good-guy
mecha
> has a higher probability of being a Gundam than an Eva. :P

You also have to consider the possibility that they just used the toy and
had no intention of being entirely accurate to the series. It's happened
fairly often.

> What I have NOT seen is the movie in question. If I had, then I'd know
what
> we're dealing with, but I haven't, so I have no way of knowing except
> speculation, now do I?

I'd say an actual physical description overrides anything written about it
in the script in this case.

Besides, there's _no_ way you can mistake an Evangelion mecha for a Gundam
mecha.

Arnold Kim

^KitKat^

Oct 5, 2002, 3:05:40 PM10/5/02

My cousin Ricky saw it and said that it was the 16th angel.

^KitKat^ -- Who needs to see the movie and goes back to lurk mode.

Supporter of the Stars dub...
Why?
Cause I'm nucking futs! ^_^
@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@
See what the rest of North America is missing!
KitKat's Princess Maker Corner
http://www.kkpmc.net

Gray Vagabond

Oct 6, 2002, 4:45:13 AM10/6/02
Not exactly mainstream culture, but:

"Knights of the Dinner Table" is a comic book about a group of gamers --
sit-around-the-table-rolling-dice gamers -- whose favorite game is
"Hackmaster," a thinly disguised D&D. In the most recent issue (# 71, "Four
Angry Men), the Knights are discussing miniatures. (You all know what
miniatures are, right? Little metal figures?) It seems Hard 8, the company
that publishes Hackmaster, was having difficulty selling off a huge batch of
minis it had gotten cheap from a bankrupt Taiwanese company. The problem with
the miniatures in question was that they were a larger scale than the ones
generally in use, and there were few buyers. When this was mentioned, the
Knight known as Dave exclaimed,

"Hey, that might explain why those new 'female hill giant' blisters look like
the 'Sailor Moon' characters."

Kind of a scary thought.... 8)

Rob Kelk

Oct 6, 2002, 4:15:46 PM10/6/02

It's even funnier when you know where to get Sailor Moon figures... (Of
course, I've misplaced the URL. Do a Google search on "Ground Zero
Games".)

Arbane the Terrible

Oct 7, 2002, 7:34:30 PM10/7/02
Rob Kelk wrote:

> It's even funnier when you know where to get Sailor Moon figures... (Of
> course, I've misplaced the URL. Do a Google search on "Ground Zero
> Games".)

http://www.gtns.net/gzg/

Hm. I wonder where I could get HeroClix bases? I feel the urge to lay the
Moon Spiral Smackdown on Wolverine.... :)

--
"Remember, the plural of 'moron' is 'focus group'."
-- James A. Wolf

Rob Kelk

Oct 8, 2002, 3:11:27 PM10/8/02
On Mon, 07 Oct 2002 23:34:30 GMT, Arbane the Terrible <arb...@attbi.com>
wrote:

>Rob Kelk wrote:
>
>> It's even funnier when you know where to get Sailor Moon figures... (Of
>> course, I've misplaced the URL. Do a Google search on "Ground Zero
>> Games".)
>
>http://www.gtns.net/gzg/

That's it, yes...

>Hm. I wonder where I could get HeroClix bases? I feel the urge to lay the
>Moon Spiral Smackdown on Wolverine.... :)

If you're a "serious" collector (a.k.a. a "Mister Suitcase"), you'll
have plenty of extra common figures gatehring dust, and you can get an
X-Acto knife from any craft store...

Arbane the Terrible

Oct 8, 2002, 5:58:47 PM10/8/02
Rob Kelk wrote:

>>Hm. I wonder where I could get HeroClix bases? I feel the urge to lay
>>the
>>Moon Spiral Smackdown on Wolverine.... :)
>
> If you're a "serious" collector (a.k.a. a "Mister Suitcase"), you'll
> have plenty of extra common figures gatehring dust, and you can get an
> X-Acto knife from any craft store...

Thankfully, no. I used to be a fanatic for CCGs, and from what I've heard,
miniatures collecting is one of the few gaming hobbies even _more_
expensive.

Maybe I could mooch some extras from a friend....NO! BAD BRAIN!

Tuxedo Ian

Oct 9, 2002, 10:52:07 AM10/9/02

> In article <647mpusaejol3a56n...@4ax.com>, Pook!
> <scal...@socal.rr.com> writes:
>

>>If kly...@aol.comedy (Klyfix) had a hammer, they might have built a
>>post that went like this:
>>
>>>So, are Anime and Manga becoming so much in the front of people's
>>>minds that references are going to be popping up all the time in
>>>regular TV shows? Will there be references to Eva on "The West Wing"?
>>>A glimpse of "Hellsing" on "Angel"? Or is this just a quirk 'cause
>>>some writers felt like sticking in something obscure?
>>
>>Well, in the movie One Hour Photo there was a key plot point that
>>revolved around a Neon Genesis Evangelion toy. I couldn't help but
>>wonder if the director and/or writer knew what a good match NGE was
>>for the tone and theme of the movie ;)
>>

> Oh, that film. That's another of those recent films where Robin
> Williams plays a psycho, right? Was it actually any good? I confess
> that at this point I'm more curious as to which Evangelion toy was in
> the plot point. :)

It was a Mass Production model EVA. But it's obvious that the scriptwriter
has never seen EVA, because the kid describes it as the good guy, with a
big sowrd to fight off evil. When I heard that I thought to myself "Well,
this kid is either delusional or his parents have been feeding him
something on the side if he thinks that's a good guy."

The other 2 anime products that make appearances are a Gundam model kit for
a Zaku, and the large Hello Kitty plushies. The scene of Williams sitting
on a bed in the store with a Hello Kitty sitting next to him is the best
shot in the movie.

--
Tuxedo Ian
Longtime lurker, sometime poster

Holder of 1 cookie awarded by Arnold Kim

SM, Robotech, DB, NGE, Gundam, GunBuster Otaku
Pern fanatic
Whovian, DDR Intermediate player (finally passed Paranoia!)

Remove "nospam" from addy to e-mail

Tuxedo Ian

Oct 9, 2002, 10:54:59 AM10/9/02
"Oshidori" <XOshi...@nyc.rr.com> wrote in

>>>Well, what can I say, see the movie. Looking around the 'net I
> couldn't find a picture of a similar toy actually from NGE. It looked
> to me kind of like something from Escaflowne, actually, but it
> definitely said "Neon Genesis Evangelion" across the top and was
> repeated a couple of times by more than one character. In the context
> of the movie, it was a toy that the boy in the family that Sy the
> photo guy (Williams) watches over was carrying around at the store
> because he wanted it, but his Dad told him he didn't need a new toy.
> Later Williams' character buys it for the kid and tries to give it to
> him, but he turns it down. Later in the movie you see the toy by the
> side of Sy's bed. <<
>
> i was just talking about that to a friend. It was kind of odd that the
> only product shots seemed to be anime related.
>
> I thought the ending was pretty flat. It kind of made the movie go
> from a front page news story to a blurb somewhere on page 8 of the
> evening paper, if that makes any sense. But Robin WIlliams is the man,
> he does the greatest character work. The Hello Kitty and NGE shots
> made me happy though.

Here is my interpretation of the ending, but first some

At the end of the movie, I believe that the photo of Sy with the family is
meant to represent that he has been accepted by the family, because they
have realized that he did what he did to help the wife learn about her
husband's straying. What did you think about it?

Kirei

Oct 9, 2002, 7:21:24 PM10/9/02

Er... no. I don't think so. Would -you- let a man who you now know A: has been
stalking you for years and B: nearly tried to kill your husband hang around
your kid?

I took it to mean that he's never going to be able to break away from his
fantasies, because of what happened to him as a child -- he's always going to
want to be accepted into a family, specifically this one.

Kirei
AFU no Scandalous Video
Miki's Prince
UtenaCode(1.0) U:6 F:Hi++SP+++:pBR D:To->Ak--:pOA X:*:a39[AM]+ M:f"Rinbu
Revolution," "Toki ni Ai Wa," "Last Evolution"d"Fuuin Jubaku"
Wai wai!

Rick Sternbach

Oct 26, 2002, 12:16:09 PM10/26/02
Just to set the record staight, I don't believe I ever said there was
an anime gag in every TNG ep, but there were quite a few of them.
Cutey Honey was not one of the Kanji, but DP and UY and Akira refs
were. Yes, the DP poster was removed at the last minute.

Later,

Rick

Rob Kelk

Oct 26, 2002, 1:40:57 PM10/26/02
Ah, well - I never claimed to have perfect memory. (It's a good thing I
started my post off with "IIRC".) My apologies for the
misrepresentation, and thanks for setting me straight.

On 26 Oct 2002 09:16:09 -0700, rster...@earthlink.net (Rick Sternbach)
wrote:

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.tripod.com> robkelk -at- jksrv -dot- com