[EVANGELION] Opinions from Anime producers

224 views
Skip to first unread message

Kentaro ONIZUKA

unread,
Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
to

Hi Eva Fans,

Here I post an article posted to fj.rec.animation by J. Toyouchi at
Hitachi System.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, I am Toyouchi at Hitatchi System Lab.

I have a couple of friends who work in the Anime industry.
They told me about the influence of "Evangelion."

The most significant issue is that because "Evangelion" series had
excessively atrocious and erotic scenes, and GAINAX presented/deliver
incomplete products to the TV station, as the result, TV stations
began to review the scripts before animated and also they began to
order anime producers to present/deliver the products one week before
on air. Not only TV-Tokyo*1 but also most of TV stations in Tokyo began
these acts.

# TV-Tokyo broadcasted "Neon Genesis Evangelion."

In some sense, the relationships of mutual trust between Anime
producers and TV stations were destroyed by "Evangelion," and
consequently, TV stations set up more strict rules for anime
production to make it safer.

Due to the before-animated-review by TV-Stations, now that Anime
producers have to revise scripts a lot. As the result, some anime
productions suffer from the too tight schedule which had been carried
out without problems before.

The friends of mine in the Anime industry say, "if GAINAX wished to
make an atrocious and erotic Anime or an experimental Anime, it could
have make OVA. More over, they must recognize the significant
influence to the entire Anime industry by the fact that the coarse
manner in the production resulted those two episodes (They mean the
last two episodes)."

Since I am not engaged in anime productions, and I heard the opinion
above from only a couple of friends in the industry, I don't quite
understand how significance the influence is and how long the
influence continues. However, as far as I've heard, GAINAX'es attitude
of production lacked a consideration.


Comments and information on the issues above are welcome.

Junichi Toyouchi.
’،، toyo...@sdl.hitachi.co.jp

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
End of article

Kentaro ONIZUKA

John Chennavasin

unread,
Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
to
In article <ONIZUKA.96...@lachesis.nisiq.net>,
Kentaro ONIZUKA <oni...@nisiq.net> wrote:

>The most significant issue is that because "Evangelion" series had
>excessively atrocious and erotic scenes, and GAINAX presented/deliver
>incomplete products to the TV station, as the result, TV stations
>began to review the scripts before animated and also they began to
>order anime producers to present/deliver the products one week before
>on air. Not only TV-Tokyo*1 but also most of TV stations in Tokyo began
>these acts.

I thought this problem with timely delivery of anime to the television
stations had existed since the days of "Uchuu Senkan Yamato," where the
anime producers often delivered the completed product moments before it
was supposed to be aired.

Weren't there shows that were just as violent (or even more so) than
Evangelion? I've always thought "Hokuto no Ken" was a non-stop
bloodbath--how did that show air on Japanese TV?


--
______________________________________________________________________________
John Chennavasin
che...@haas.berkeley.edu
http://haas.berkeley.edu/~chennav/

Enrique Conty

unread,
Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96
to
In article <4jush1$j...@agate.berkeley.edu> che...@haas.berkeley.edu (John Chennavasin) writes:
>In article <ONIZUKA.96...@lachesis.nisiq.net>,
>Kentaro ONIZUKA <oni...@nisiq.net> wrote:
>
>>TV stations began to review the scripts before animated and also they
>>began to order anime producers to present/deliver the products one
>>week before on air.
>
>I thought this problem with timely delivery of anime [...]

This is not what he's saying.

According to the above, TV stations now want script pre-approval and a
one-week lead between episode completion and airdate, so they can look
for objectionable content in the show before it airs, and then proceed
to make changes to it.

>Weren't there shows that were just as violent (or even more so) than
>Evangelion?

Certainly! Back in the late 70's and early 80's. If you needed any sort
of proof that the golden age of terebi anime is a thing of the past,
this reaction to EVA is it...
--
Enrique Conty | co...@cig.mot.com | http://www.mcs.net/~conty
NuVista+ Mac genlock/video capture board for sale, $500!!
Wargame stuff for sale!
Check out Anime Central, http://www.mcs.net/~docangst/3w/ac/

Kentaro ONIZUKA

unread,
Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96
to
In article <4k0tfi$5...@newdelph.cig.mot.com> co...@rtsg.mot.com (Enrique Conty) writes:

>In article <4jush1$j...@agate.berkeley.edu> che...@haas.berkeley.edu (John Chennavasin) writes:
>>In article <ONIZUKA.96...@lachesis.nisiq.net>,
>>Kentaro ONIZUKA <oni...@nisiq.net> wrote:
>>
>>>TV stations began to review the scripts before animated and also they
>>>began to order anime producers to present/deliver the products one
>>>week before on air.

The sentence above is translated from J. Toyouchi's post to
fj.rec.animation. I am responsible with the translation while the
opinion in the translated post is not mine.

>According to the above, TV stations now want script pre-approval and a
>one-week lead between episode completion and airdate, so they can look
>for objectionable content in the show before it airs, and then proceed
>to make changes to it.

Thank you for your good interpretation.

>>Weren't there shows that were just as violent (or even more so) than
>>Evangelion?
>
>Certainly! Back in the late 70's and early 80's. If you needed any sort
>of proof that the golden age of terebi anime is a thing of the past,
>this reaction to EVA is it...

Here is the post of J. Toyouchi replying to the post against his.

This is not my opinion. I translated.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I am Toyouchi at Hitachi System Lab.

I am talking about the TV Stations' control act against Anime
producers due to Evangelion.

Ishikawa@Univ. of Tokyo says,

> To tell the truth, one day, in GAINAX-ML, the same kind of rumour
> was posted, and then somebody indicated that the rumour was nothing
> but a rumour. Therefore, I still wonder whether I can trust your story
> or not. If possbile, please let me know what kind of your friend in
> what status told you the information.

Since I don't subscribe GAINAX-ML, I have no idea about what kind of
rumour was posted when, and how it was proved to be a lie, and why you
thought the indication was right. I am glad if you explain them.

Anyhow, the friend of mine who often tell me the story about the Anime
industry are directors of drawings, and scenario writers who do the
series construction and main-writing. They are at Toei Doga, Tokyo
Movie, or at Sunrise, and are engaged in the TV Anime presently on
air.

In order to prove my story, I think I have to show at least one fact.
OK. You know the TV Anime series "Famous Detective Connan." By the
influence from Evangelion, Nippon TV checked the scripts before aired
which has never been done before. And the station ordered to retake
the script because "The way of the murder is not appropriate."
As the result, the honorable schedule was much disturbed.
( I sympathy with those staffs.)

.......much omitted by Kentaro ONIZUKA

> Which part, do you say, has the questionable scenes?
> # I watched each episode, 2,3 times, but I can't figure out which.

Is that so? Don't you think it is questionable if a woman's voice at
sex is aired in the TV anime around early evening. If you don't think
so, you have a very different point of view from mine, thus, I don't
want to discuss further.

> What does not make sense even more is the part concerning "The
> incomplete film". How can TV Stations evaluate the "incompleteness"?

It is hard to evaluate the "incompleteness" quantatively. However,
from the point of view of common sense, don't you think it is natural
to think that the picture-show like( or less than that in some scenes)
last two episodes would be regarded as "incomplete." It is their
excuse that the schedule was too tight. GAINAX is responsible of the
tight schedule. For the TV station, the delivered film is the only
object to evaluated the show's quality. That is the contract between
companies.

I ask you a question. If GAINAX had had enough time for the making (in
general it takes about one month to make a 30-minute TV anime show)
and had enough manpower, had GAINAX made that kind a film?


’،، toyo...@sdl.hitachi.co.jp
J. Toyouchi @ Hitachi System Lab.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
End of his article.

Kentaro ONIZUKA

Elizabeth HL Horn

unread,
Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96
to
I don't want to be Gainax's Snowball("Comrade Anno is always right...")
but, I have to wonder whether Anno did not in fact give sufficient
warning before the show ever began about the true nature of the show.

When I discussed Anno's remarks at the end of vol. 1 of the manga,
I was cautioned, "But who knows if that's what's really in his heart?"
However, it seems to me that episode #26 shows that those remarks
really were his motivation and guiding principle for the show. He
didn't talk about a SF story or a robot story
as an impetus. In a contemporaneous NEWTYPE interview, he
questioned whether one could in fact do anything new with a robot
show, after more than twenty years of them. Instead, he says that EVA
would be asking, "What would happiness be for (Shinji)? I'm sure that
will be shown in the drama of the story as it goes on. Even though
they're not complete, the first two episodes really refect my personal
feelings. When I noticed this, I thought to myself, 'I'm so glad.'" It
seems to me that a "warning" of EVA's end was contained here, even before
the first episode ever aired.

In his remarks at the end of vol. 1 of the manga, he also more or less
came out and said from the beginning that Shinji (as well as Misato)
would be he, and that his primary motivation for making the series was to see
if he could put his feelings on film. For that reason, perhaps the
*explicitly* self-centered ending of EVA--where Anno raises the curtain and
blatantly admits that this is not a SF anime drama, but a stage play whose
purpose was to put his feelings on film (which, again, he said from the
beginning), should not have been that much of a shock. I *was*
shocked, but the ending seems consistent with his premise, doesn't it?

Did he truly mislead his audience?

--Carl "Sailor Moon is good, and Sailor Moon is pretty" Horn

M.R. Opel

unread,
Apr 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/6/96
to
It seems that GAINAX has rocked the boat a little; pissed off
some TV station managers and some other animation producers.
It will certainly be regrettable if the contoversy leads to tighter
restrictions on broadcast anime... but it really seems like an
insignificant price to pay for what is arguably the greatest TV show
of all time.
In my opinion, of course - I'm sure many would disagree.

-Matt Opel

Enrique Conty

unread,
Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96
to
In article <17761130B8S...@uconnvm.uconn.edu> MRO9...@UConnVM.UConn.Edu (M.R. Opel) writes:
>
> It seems that GAINAX has rocked the boat a little; pissed off
>some TV station managers and some other animation producers.
>It will certainly be regrettable if the contoversy leads to tighter
>restrictions on broadcast anime... but it really seems like an
>insignificant price to pay for what is arguably the greatest TV show
>of all time.

I don't think EVA is to blame for all of it. This trend towards "safer"
TV shows has been going on for several years now. It's just that EVA
dared to be "dangerous", and it caused a strong reaction on producers
when it did.

NuVista+ Mac genlock/video capture board for sale | Wargame stuff for sale!


Check out Anime Central, http://www.mcs.net/~docangst/3w/ac/

Down with Daylight Savings Time!

Peter R. Payne

unread,
Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
to
M.R. Opel <MRO9...@UConnVM.UConn.Edu> wrote:

> It seems that GAINAX has rocked the boat a little; pissed off
> some TV station managers and some other animation producers.
> It will certainly be regrettable if the contoversy leads to tighter
> restrictions on broadcast anime... but it really seems like an
> insignificant price to pay for what is arguably the greatest TV show
> of all time.

Or to their not being credible enough to get another series on TV ever.
You all haven't seen the end. I...oh nevermind.


Charles Kwong

unread,
Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
to
co...@rtsg.mot.com (Enrique Conty) wrote:

>I don't think EVA is to blame for all of it. This trend towards "safer"
>TV shows has been going on for several years now.

Just like putting more and more restrictions in the contents of
Intenet... Argh...

>It's just that EVA
>dared to be "dangerous", and it caused a strong reaction on producers
>when it did.
>--

Well, I found nothing wrong with Evagelion. The only big difference
I can think of from other mecha anime is that the "good side" robot
(Eva) looks very similar to "bad side" monsters ("angels"). It's
story, music, character design are all excellent. This is definitely a
*very* good anime for anime fans who're too tired of too much
Sailor-Moon-like anime...

I really hope there'll be more Evangelion...

begin 640 charles.jpg
_]C_X``02D9)1@`!_$!,.$!`/`0("`@,#$!`</"@3D0)2@`!_$,.$!`/!.0'
&^$!`/`0("`@,#$!`</"@^0)27&Q\C!`/`0("`@,#$!`</@,#$!`</"@!`/)
#T$*Evangelion*GundamW*CrayonShinchan*St.Tail*SailorMoon*O^_
!$_* Charles Kwong -- now challenging a new world *&)&
>!$* http://www.concentric.net/~ckwong/index.html *&*(
%*(***mailto:ckw...@concentric.net **********************#%^
&^$TI&GFH(*YU6VM[BYNL+#Q,7&Q\C)RM+3U-76U]C9VN'BX^3E(&Y*H*^&_
U(W<'_]":L{&*(GFD*^R^*F&(T*&(&K$^FVKH:KOPOPJ(^$#^E['end(^_^)

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages