Tenjho Tenge DVD #1 Advance Copy Review (long, no really!!!!) (Version 2)

1 view

Ethan Hammond

Mar 20, 2005, 8:41:23 PM3/20/05
I cancelled the original version as I didn't realize it would look like
that when I cut and pasted it from word. So if you read the original
version I apologize for it.

DVD covers episode 1-4. The screener has everything except the
extras section. It has a clean opening and previews under the options
section. I assume this will be the same on the final version. Supposedly
the entire series is going to be 8 DVD's, I am not sure if that includes the
new Ultimate Fight OAV as well.

The art and animation is really great, I didn't realize Geneon USA
had a hand in the production. The fire effects, and water effects,
and Souchirou's dragon effect were especially impressive.

I must say I think they did a much better job adapting this to an anime
than I had been lead to believe. Cutting the graphic nudity and sex
really does no hurt the series at all, you still get the badass fighting and
panty and hit of nudity type fanservice. I mean you don't really need
any of that, especially the rape stuff to get what Ten Ten is actually
about. A graphic rape of Chiaki is just not necessary even if it is in
the manga. In the anime you still get that Ryuzaki is the bad guy,
even if he isn't doing that. But, I really think violence against women
just isn't cool, so it is great that Maya and Saga Mask both got to
smack him around.

Bastard doesn't really need the hardcore sex stuff either. That's
right I went there, I said it. But I also have been playing the crap
out of Street Fighter Anniversary Collection in recent weeks so
that might be affecting me as well, heh. I should have Gill unlock
in Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike today. The only thing I am not sure
about is why people who have only seen the anime didn't understand
that Nagi Souchirou was the main character. I hear a lot of people
thought Shin Natsume is the main character.

Also I think they made Bob into a much better guy in the anime than
he comes across in the manga. Instead of randomly having sex with
his girlfriend while Souchirou is getting his ass kicked in Fight 2
(Episode 2) he is there watching his buddy fight. If he is supposed to
be his best friend and sidekick, I think this even makes more sense as
well. I didn't think Bob was such an honorable type going by the manga.
I like how the tease a sex scene with his girlfriend right before Souchirou
kicks the door in too.

You also get Souchirou's background story about how he was neglected
and bullied way quicker in the anime than the manga, and I think that works
better. It makes the character more sympathetic and less of a punk ass.
It didn't happen until Fight 11 in the manga, but it happens in Fight 2 in
the anime. Just being some guy who likes to get his ass kicked and fight
strong
guys is kind of dumb, but the background story explains it. I kind of think
of Nagi as a teenage DS before he discovered sex and became the ultimate
badass.

However, I have the Japanese version of the manga so I can compare both
versions. I think I would be royally pissed if the only manga I had access
to was the CMX/DC version. Even the anime makes it clear that Aya was
naked in the shower in Episode 1, I have no idea why CMX would change
this, who the hell takes a shower with a bra on anyway? Or are we supposed
to believe she had time to get dressed between the few second after she got
out of the shower and when Nagi crashed through the roof? They should
release two versions, one censored and one uncensored and let the consumer
decided which one they want. I would buy an uncensored version from CMX
even though I have the Japanese one. Hopefully sales were bad enough that
CMX gets the messages, GETS IT!!!! *SHAKES ORIGINAL MANGA*

I am not one of these idiots who think that the anime and manga version of
something have to be 100% the same, however I do believe in the original
presentation. Geneon is not censoring the Ten Ten anime form the way it
was in Japan while CMX is censoring the manga, and that sucks.
Aya's dancing in the opening looks really hilarious. I think most
everything she does is pretty funny, but the funniest thing is still
Souchiro using her
lunch to psyche out Takayanagi, although it only helps Souchiro for about 5
seconds.

Heh, Saga Mask does Antonio Inoki's ich, ni, san, da! catch phrase, I
wonder how many westerners will get that? Maybe if there is a big cross
over between wrasslin fans and anime fans, but I have no idea about that.

So by the end of episode 4 we are up too page 57 of Volume 2 of the manga,
basically the end of Fight 7(Chapter 7). Thank god they don't drag the
fights out like DBZ.

I have been wanting a really good fighting anime for awhile, Real Bout High
School and Ikki Tousen tried, but they didn't live up to my expectations.
I think people who have been looking for a great fighting anime will enjoy
Tenjho Tenge a lot. I know I am. It has been far too long. I knew Aya's
seiyuu sounded familiar to me and it is since Aya Hisakawa was the voice
of Arisa from the one and only Nuku Nuku, see it really is a rich tapestry
that always goes back to Nuku Nuku folks. She is also in Nanoha as
Lindy, but I don't really remember who Lindy is, one of the maids?
She is basically doing the Arisa voice for Maya in Ten Ten.
Also, while I didn't watch the dub, her dub voice actor will be familiar
to people as well since Wendee Lee does Maya's voice in the dub, heh.

I think I may like the anime better than the manga. I guess it depends on
what you are looking for in a series. This is definitely a series I am
going to pick up when it comes out on DVD on 5/03 obviously the version with
the artbox, and the Soundtrack CD on 5/03 as well.

--
All Purpose Cultural Randomness
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html

Hand-of-Omega

Mar 20, 2005, 10:10:26 PM3/20/05

Ethan Hammond wrote:

> Bastard doesn't really need the hardcore sex stuff either. That's

> right I went there, I said it.

Traitor!! Zazu Zazu...!^^

But I also have been playing the crap
> out of Street Fighter Anniversary Collection in recent weeks so
> that might be affecting me as well, heh. I should have Gill unlock
> in Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike today.

I have no idea what this has to do with anything...

>The only thing I am not sure
> about is why people who have only seen the anime didn't understand
> that Nagi Souchirou was the main character. I hear a lot of people
> thought Shin Natsume is the main character.

I think I know why...Soon, the anime will get into an extended
flashback (no, really extended--it takes up over half the series!) of
which Shin is essentially the focus.

> You also get Souchirou's background story about how he was neglected
> and bullied way quicker in the anime than the manga, and I think that
works
> better. It makes the character more sympathetic and less of a punk
ass.
> It didn't happen until Fight 11 in the manga, but it happens in Fight
2 in
> the anime. Just being some guy who likes to get his ass kicked and
fight
> strong
> guys is kind of dumb, but the background story explains it. I kind
of think
> of Nagi as a teenage DS before he discovered sex and became the
ultimate
> badass.

Does the manga get into his family background? Isn't there something
special about his bloodline? There's a scene where the Natsume family
sword is activated and causes Nagi's mother across town to start
bleeding...but this is never explained.

> Aya's dancing in the opening looks really hilarious. I think most
> everything she does is pretty funny, but the funniest thing is still
> Souchiro using her
> lunch to psyche out Takayanagi, although it only helps Souchiro for
about 5
> seconds.

I like the opening and closing sequence, tho a friend of mine thought
the opening was practically screaming "Please buy this,
Americans!"...Yeah, I did like the lunch bit, and the resulting
beatdown.

Ethan, I predict that your favorite character will be Bunichi (sp?).
Watch out for him...^_~

> Heh, Saga Mask does Antonio Inoki's ich, ni, san, da! catch phrase, I
> wonder how many westerners will get that? Maybe if there is a big
cross
> over between wrasslin fans and anime fans, but I have no idea about
that.

> So by the end of episode 4 we are up too page 57 of Volume 2 of the
manga,
> basically the end of Fight 7(Chapter 7). Thank god they don't drag
the
> fights out like DBZ.

Nah, Naruto has dibs on that...

> I have been wanting a really good fighting anime for awhile, Real
Bout High
> School and Ikki Tousen tried, but they didn't live up to my
expectations.
> I think people who have been looking for a great fighting anime will
enjoy
> Tenjho Tenge a lot. I know I am.

If Real Bout and Ikki Tousen had stayed at least closer to their manga
originals, they would have been great. Speaking of IT, have you started
playing the inevitable game of figuring out which character corresponds
to which TenTen character? It's even more blatant in the manga, as when
Hakufu seeks out the "old master" who turns out to (appear to) be a
long-haired little girl in shrine clothes...

If it's fighting anime you want, I strongly recommend Air Master, which
also has just debuted. There's only a few female fighters, so there's
not as much fanservice (and the character design isn't very attractive
anyway), but it's got Virtual Fighter references! Implied yuri!! Kaori
Sakiyama (you *will* be shouting her name!)!!! Heck, it's even got
another Mexican-style masked wrestler for you to enjoy (LUCHE
MASTER!!)...Coolest of all, it's got Juliet, the best scene-stealing
badass since Yujiro Hanma!

> Also, while I didn't watch the dub, her dub voice actor will be
familiar
> to people as well since Wendee Lee does Maya's voice in the dub, heh.

Sweet, I can see that. Wonder how she does her "little girl" version
voice...Incidentally, not only did I not notice that Steve Blum is the
voice of Coop's buddy on Megas XLR, I just yesterday learned that
Wendee Lee is the voice of Kiva! Man, I suck...

> I think I may like the anime better than the manga. I guess it
depends on
> what you are looking for in a series. This is definitely a series I
am
> going to pick up when it comes out on DVD on 5/03 obviously the
version with
> the artbox, and the Soundtrack CD on 5/03 as well.

Ah, is that when the OST is out? I'm most definitely getting that!

Dex

Ethan Hammond

Mar 20, 2005, 10:47:29 PM3/20/05
"Hand-of-Omega" <hando...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Ethan Hammond wrote:

> > Bastard doesn't really need the hardcore sex stuff either. That's
> > right I went there, I said it.
>
> Traitor!! Zazu Zazu...!^^

Heh, URUSAI!!!!

> But I also have been playing the crap
> > out of Street Fighter Anniversary Collection in recent weeks so
> > that might be affecting me as well, heh. I should have Gill unlock
> > in Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike today.
>
> I have no idea what this has to do with anything...

I'm in a fighting MOOD!!!!

> >The only thing I am not sure
> > about is why people who have only seen the anime didn't understand
> > that Nagi Souchirou was the main character. I hear a lot of people
> > thought Shin Natsume is the main character.
>
> I think I know why...Soon, the anime will get into an extended
> flashback (no, really extended--it takes up over half the series!) of
> which Shin is essentially the focus.

The one that takes 3 volumes in the manga I bet. The end of 4 to 7,
beginning of 8.

> Does the manga get into his family background? Isn't there something
> special about his bloodline? There's a scene where the Natsume family
> sword is activated and causes Nagi's mother across town to start
> bleeding...but this is never explained.

I don't think I have read that far yet.

> > Aya's dancing in the opening looks really hilarious. I think most
> > everything she does is pretty funny, but the funniest thing is still
> > Souchiro using her
> > lunch to psyche out Takayanagi, although it only helps Souchiro for
> about 5
> > seconds.
> >
> I like the opening and closing sequence, tho a friend of mine thought
> the opening was practically screaming "Please buy this,
> Americans!"...Yeah, I did like the lunch bit, and the resulting
> beatdown.

Heh, well that is the way anime is heading so he better get used to it.

> Ethan, I predict that your favorite character will be Bunichi (sp?).
> Watch out for him...^_~

Hmmm, he hasn't do that much in the manga that has caught my
attention, why do you say so?

> > So by the end of episode 4 we are up too page 57 of Volume 2 of the
> manga,
> > basically the end of Fight 7(Chapter 7). Thank god they don't drag
> the
> > fights out like DBZ.
> >
> Nah, Naruto has dibs on that...

The Naruto manga is pretty good though.

> If Real Bout and Ikki Tousen had stayed at least closer to their manga
> originals, they would have been great. Speaking of IT, have you started
> playing the inevitable game of figuring out which character corresponds
> to which TenTen character? It's even more blatant in the manga, as when
> Hakufu seeks out the "old master" who turns out to (appear to) be a
> long-haired little girl in shrine clothes...

Yeah the Real Bout manga was better. I was wondering if Ikki was supposed
to be Ten Ten light for awhile no actually.

> If it's fighting anime you want, I strongly recommend Air Master, which
> also has just debuted. There's only a few female fighters, so there's
> not as much fanservice (and the character design isn't very attractive
> anyway), but it's got Virtual Fighter references! Implied yuri!! Kaori
> Sakiyama (you *will* be shouting her name!)!!! Heck, it's even got
> another Mexican-style masked wrestler for you to enjoy (LUCHE
> MASTER!!)...Coolest of all, it's got Juliet, the best scene-stealing
> badass since Yujiro Hanma!

Air Master eh? I haven't really been that excited by it from what little
I have seen, but maybe I will try it again. Ten Ten is definetly for me
though. But you did sell me with the Luche Master!!!!

> > I think I may like the anime better than the manga. I guess it
> depends on
> > what you are looking for in a series. This is definitely a series I
> am
> > going to pick up when it comes out on DVD on 5/03 obviously the
> version with
> > the artbox, and the Soundtrack CD on 5/03 as well.
> >
> Ah, is that when the OST is out? I'm most definitely getting that!

Hai!!!!