Single Parents in Anime

Ryan Mathews

Dec 18, 2000, 5:22:30 PM12/18/00
Something weird hit me. Anime is full of widower fathers raising their
children alone:

-- Card Captor Sakura
-- Tenchi Muyo
-- Kimagure Orange Road
-- Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl
-- (any more?)

...but I can't think of a single widowed *mother* raising her kids alone.
Can you?

I wonder why that is. I can't help but wonder if it's a cultural double-
standard. The widower father is a trooper for struggling alone, but the
single mother is shameful and should get herself a husband...
--
---------- Ryan Mathews

Email: math...@ix.netcom.com ICQ#: 11539925
Fanfic archive: http://soyokaze.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~mathews/
Read my web review column, "Last Exit Before Toll"
on the Anime Web Turnpike http://www.anipike.com/lastexit/
Read my dub review column, "The Dub Track"
at http://akadot.com/ (in the "Columns" section)

Brian Dinnigan

Dec 18, 2000, 5:47:12 PM12/18/00
Ryan Mathews <math...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<900EBFD77math...@198.99.146.18>...

> Something weird hit me. Anime is full of widower fathers raising their
> children alone:
>
> -- Card Captor Sakura
> -- Tenchi Muyo
> -- Kimagure Orange Road
> -- Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl
> -- (any more?)
>
> ...but I can't think of a single widowed *mother* raising her kids alone.

> Can you?
>
> I wonder why that is. I can't help but wonder if it's a cultural double-
> standard. The widower father is a trooper for struggling alone, but the
> single mother is shameful and should get herself a husband...

Japanese mothers tend to rule the roost. With only a mother, there won't be
much room for the kids to get in and out of whacky jams. Basically, she'd
be TOO capable, and would ruin the fun.

The widower father isn't really treated like a trooper, more like not
totally capable of doing the task, and as a result there's a lot of room
for comedic interference.

Brian Dinnigan
--
dinn...@cadvision.com

"What could you hope to achieve except to be sunk in a bigger and more
expensive ship this time"- Winston Churchill, on Lord Mountbatten

Juliet A. Youngren

Dec 18, 2000, 5:56:42 PM12/18/00
On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Brian Dinnigan wrote:

> > -- Card Captor Sakura
> > -- Tenchi Muyo
> > -- Kimagure Orange Road
> > -- Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl
> > -- (any more?)
> >
> > ...but I can't think of a single widowed *mother* raising her kids alone.

Miaka and Kensuke's mother in Fushigi Yuugi is divorced, I believe.

Then there's Devil Hunter Yohko's mother, who was never married.

Misao's mother in Magical Project S is practically a single mother, since
Misao's father is always away on tour.

Another widowed father: Soun Tendo.

Juliet

Doug Dawson

Dec 18, 2000, 5:58:54 PM12/18/00
>> Something weird hit me. Anime is full of widower fathers raising their
>> children alone:
>>
>> -- Card Captor Sakura
>> -- Tenchi Muyo
>> -- Kimagure Orange Road
>> -- Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl
>> -- (any more?)
>>
>> ...but I can't think of a single widowed *mother* raising her kids alone.
>
>> Can you?
>>
>> I wonder why that is. I can't help but wonder if it's a cultural double-
>> standard. The widower father is a trooper for struggling alone, but the
>> single mother is shameful and should get herself a husband...

I don't know about _cultural_ double standard. I remember reading an article
reviewing a new crop of American shows with the comment that "The most dangerous
job in America today seems to be that of mother" because of the number of widowers
that season. Possibly it's because the father is assumed to be not as good with the
kids, so there's more opportunities for parenting screwups (for either comedic
or dramatic purposes). A single father can be assumed (rightly or wrongly) to have
a job that pays enough, so it's his interactions with the kids that are the focus.
With a single mom, there's going to be much more focus on her job trials. If the mom's
the star of the show, that's fine, but if it's about the kids...

Alicia S.

Dec 18, 2000, 6:30:13 PM12/18/00

If you look at Disney you can see how often the kids are orphans or if
not the mother is dead almost always. In the original Aladdin story,
for instance, he had a mother. But I've read the decision was made for
her to be dead because there was too much percieved sympathy for him.
There are articles complaining every so often about how there's no
mothers in Disney films, so I don't think it's just Japan. America
doesn't like mothers either. Look at Ariel from The Little Mermaid,
Jasmine from Aladdin, Bambi, etc. to see kids with single fathers and no
mother. The mother is assumed to be more caring/take better care of the
kids/understand them better, which isn't good for the plot, which
usually involves the kids feeling misunderstood and being allowed to run
about getting into trouble.

Alicia

Galen Musbach

Dec 18, 2000, 6:34:46 PM12/18/00

Ryan Mathews wrote:

> Something weird hit me. Anime is full of widower fathers raising their
> children alone:
>
> -- Card Captor Sakura
> -- Tenchi Muyo
> -- Kimagure Orange Road
> -- Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl

B-Ko
Tendo family, from Ranma 1/2
Nagisa, I'll Make a Habit of It
Shinji, Evangelion
Ushio, Ushio and Tora
Ryuunosuke, Urusei Yatsura

> -- (any more?)
>
> ...but I can't think of a single widowed *mother* raising her kids alone.
> Can you?

Sakura Wars, Sakura's mother.
Blue Seed, Momiji's mother.
Child's Toy, Sana's Mother.
Pretty Sammy OAVs, Sasami's mother.
Magical Project S, Misao's mother.

> I wonder why that is. I can't help but wonder if it's a cultural double-
> standard. The widower father is a trooper for struggling alone, but the
> single mother is shameful and should get herself a husband...

Scott Fujimoto

Dec 18, 2000, 8:42:31 PM12/18/00
>Sakura Wars, Sakura's mother.

Good example..

>Blue Seed, Momiji's mother.

I hardly remember this series, so no comment.

>Child's Toy, Sana's Mother.

[spoilers following other series]

>Pretty Sammy OAVs, Sasami's mother.

Haven't seen.

>Magical Project S, Misao's mother.

Misao does have a living father. They're even still married.
Her father is a famous pianist and tours around the world,
so he doesn't have much time for his family.

[spoilers for Child's Toy follows]

First of all, are you talking about Sana's adoptive mother or
real mother? Her adoptive mother isn't widowed, although she
wishes she were. ^_^

As for Sana's real mother, IIRC, her father didn't die. I'm not
sure if Sana's mother knew who her father was. After all, she
was practically a kid herself when she became pregnant...

--Scott

"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to see if I really am alive."

Meowmiao

Dec 18, 2000, 9:27:19 PM12/18/00
>Ryan Mathews wrote:
>>
>> Something weird hit me. Anime is full of widower fathers raising their
>> children alone:
>>
>> -- Card Captor Sakura
>> -- Tenchi Muyo
>> -- Kimagure Orange Road
>> -- Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl
>B-Ko
>Tendo family, from Ranma 1/2
>Nagisa, I'll Make a Habit of It
>Shinji, Evangelion
>Ushio, Ushio and Tora
>Ryuunosuke, Urusei Yatsura
>
>> -- (any more?)

Aka-chan to Boku.

alan

Dec 18, 2000, 9:36:39 PM12/18/00
The mom of that "rocker dude" in Kare Kano

"Ryan Mathews" <math...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

David Nakamoto

Dec 18, 2000, 10:01:06 PM12/18/00

Ryan Mathews wrote:

> Something weird hit me. Anime is full of widower fathers raising their
> children alone:
>
> -- Card Captor Sakura
> -- Tenchi Muyo
> -- Kimagure Orange Road
> -- Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl
> -- (any more?)

Tatoon Master. He might not be a widower, but I don't see his wife
around.
In Ranma I don't know if we see Soun's wife. Isn't she dead?

We are the music-makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
--- Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Kyle Thomas Pope

Dec 18, 2000, 10:30:59 PM12/18/00
>Ryan Mathews wrote:
>
>> Something weird hit me. Anime is full of widower fathers raising their
>> children alone:
>>
>> -- Card Captor Sakura
>> -- Tenchi Muyo
>> -- Kimagure Orange Road
>> -- Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl
>> -- (any more?)

Mamotte Shugogetten

Tasuke is living alone though since neither his father nor his sister
are ever around.

Kyle

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered." - No. 6

dav...@retailpro.com

Dec 18, 2000, 10:28:47 PM12/18/00

math...@ix.netcom.com (Ryan Mathews) wrote:
> Something weird hit me. Anime is full of widower fathers raising
their
> children alone:
>
> -- Card Captor Sakura
> -- Tenchi Muyo
> -- Kimagure Orange Road
> -- Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl
> -- (any more?)

Ranma 1/2 (Soun and his daughters, plus Genma might as well be a
widower for all we see of his wife through most of the series)

And maybe, Evangelion (if you want to count what Gendo does with
Shinji "raising" him)

> ...but I can't think of a single widowed *mother* raising her kids
> alone. Can you?

There are a few where there's no dad *seen*, hence I don't know if the
moms are widows, but:

Campus Guardress (I don't remember the character names, but the boy
whom the "Remnant" are trying to get at seemed to be being raised by
just his mom).

Devil Hunter Yohko (well not a widow but still a single mom)

Child's Toy (at least I haven't seen a dad on the scene yet)

Lodoss War (Priestess Neese and her daughter Leylia)

Pretty Sami OAV (not TV) series (Mrs. Kawaii and Tenchi and Sasami)

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Shadow6865

Dec 18, 2000, 11:32:54 PM12/18/00

Something weird hit me. Anime is full of widower fathers raising their
children alone:

-- Card Captor Sakura
-- Tenchi Muyo
-- Kimagure Orange Road
-- Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl
-- (any more?)

...but I can't think of a single widowed *mother* raising her kids alone.
Can you?

Also through in Ranma 1/2 to the mix. In the Fushigi Yuugi anime and manga,
Miaka's mother is divorced and you never see the father's face. In Inu-Yasha,
Kagome lives with her mother and grandfather. We never see a father.

<< I wonder why that is. I can't help but wonder if it's a cultural

double-standard. The widower father is a trooper for struggling alone, but the

single mother is shameful and should get herself a husband... >>

It's cultural but not the way you mention. In Japan, the mother is a
traditional lord dictator of the house who makes sure evrything gets done on
time by everyone. The series you mention have far, out wacky occurances. Do you
think Achika Masaki would allow Ryoko and Ayeka to constantly fight over
Tenchi? Would Sakura's mom let her go out chasing after clow cards when she has
homework and chores to do or it is way past her bed time? Ms. Tendo would
certainly put a stop to all the wacky hijinks that happen in her house. Even
Nodoka Saotome who is pretty crazy herself put things under control in Ranma
1/2.

Robert Geiger

Dec 18, 2000, 11:41:28 PM12/18/00

David Nakamoto wrote in message <3A3EB34...@verizon.net>...

>Ryan Mathews wrote:
>
>> Something weird hit me. Anime is full of widower fathers raising their
>> children alone:

Also Baby and Me
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.

Rob Kelk

Dec 18, 2000, 11:49:21 PM12/18/00
On 18 Dec 2000 22:22:30 GMT, math...@ix.netcom.com (Ryan Mathews)
wrote:

>Something weird hit me. Anime is full of widower fathers raising their
>children alone:
>
>-- Card Captor Sakura
>-- Tenchi Muyo
>-- Kimagure Orange Road
>-- Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl
>-- (any more?)

Ranma 1/2

And the youngster lives with only his father in "Nuku Nuku", but
that's a divorce rather than a death.

>...but I can't think of a single widowed *mother* raising her kids alone.
>Can you?

Not quite, but in Sailor Moon, Ami's parents are divorced and she
lives with her mother.

>I wonder why that is. I can't help but wonder if it's a cultural double-
>standard. The widower father is a trooper for struggling alone, but the
>single mother is shameful and should get herself a husband...

Isn't it expected that the mother should raise the children?
(Certainly, this "standard" still exists in Canada...) Thus, the
father raising the children is unusual enough to be included in
"escapist" entertainment, no?

--
Rob Kelk http://robkelk.tripod.com/ rob...@ottawa.com
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

Arnold Kim

Dec 18, 2000, 10:04:09 PM12/18/00

Ryan Mathews <math...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Something weird hit me. Anime is full of widower fathers raising their
> children alone:
>
> -- Card Captor Sakura
> -- Tenchi Muyo
> -- Kimagure Orange Road
> -- Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl
> -- (any more?)

Ranma 1/2. Not quite alone, but but both wives here are eitherdead, or
don't show up till a bit later.

> ...but I can't think of a single widowed *mother* raising her kids alone.
> Can you?

Barefoot Gen. Well, two of her own kids and one that just looked like
hers...

IIRC, Ami's mother in Sailor Moon raises her without any acknowlegement of a
father. Then again, she hardly shows up in the series herself...

Arnold Kim

Anne Packrat

Dec 19, 2000, 12:34:38 AM12/19/00
> ...but I can't think of a single widowed *mother* raising her kids alone.
> Can you?

Sure. It's the most obvious one.

Pokemon.

Well, we'ren't really sure where he his, (I have my own theories on the
subject) but Ash's mom is raising the boy alone. Now about raising him well...
that is open to interpretation.
--
Anne Packrat
(remove .nospambaka to reply)

"Dying doesn't sound like much fun... So let's surrender instead!"
-Justy Ueki Tylor Age: 20

Valerie S Yoza

Dec 19, 2000, 2:51:31 AM12/19/00

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 dav...@retailpro.com wrote:

> There are a few where there's no dad *seen*, hence I don't know if the
> moms are widows, but:
>
> Campus Guardress (I don't remember the character names, but the boy
> whom the "Remnant" are trying to get at seemed to be being raised by
> just his mom).
>
> Devil Hunter Yohko (well not a widow but still a single mom)
>
> Child's Toy (at least I haven't seen a dad on the scene yet)
>
> Lodoss War (Priestess Neese and her daughter Leylia)
>
> Pretty Sami OAV (not TV) series (Mrs. Kawaii and Tenchi and Sasami)

Cardcaptor Sakura (Tomoyo's parents are divorced, she lives with her
mother)

Yuu Yuu Hakusho (Yuusuke's father doesn't seem to be around)

-Valerie
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Valerie Yoza vy...@hawaii.edu
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~vyoza
"Love is thrill, shock, suspense"
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Galen Musbach

Dec 19, 2000, 3:33:34 AM12/19/00

Scott Fujimoto wrote:

> >Sakura Wars, Sakura's mother.
>
> Good example..
>
> >Blue Seed, Momiji's mother.
>
> I hardly remember this series, so no comment.
>
> >Child's Toy, Sana's Mother.
>
> [spoilers following other series]
>
> >Pretty Sammy OAVs, Sasami's mother.
>
> Haven't seen.
>
> >Magical Project S, Misao's mother.
>
> Misao does have a living father. They're even still married.
> Her father is a famous pianist and tours around the world,
> so he doesn't have much time for his family.
>
> [spoilers for Child's Toy follows]
>
> First of all, are you talking about Sana's adoptive mother or
> real mother? Her adoptive mother isn't widowed, although she
> wishes she were. ^_^

Adoptive; She is a single parent, IMO.
-Galen

> --Scott
>
> "I'm not going there to die. I'm going to see if I really am alive."

Nobutoshi Ito

Dec 18, 2000, 11:52:30 PM12/18/00
math...@ix.netcom.com (Ryan Mathews) writes:

> ...but I can't think of a single widowed *mother* raising her kids alone.
> Can you?

Those with dead father...

o Zero (Candidate of Goddess)
o Shinozaki Ai (Corrector Yui)
o Takaya Noriko (Gunbuster)
o Hayakawa Ryou (Princess Nine)
o Katsumi Liqueur (Silent Moebius)
o Shinguuji Sakura (Sakura Wars)
o Mitsukuni Aoi (Mitsukuni Aoi)
o Uruyuu Kana (Tri-Zenon)
o Ukiya Shun (Gate Keepers)

Those with dead/lost father who show himself up later ^_^;;

o Toreishi Girls (Humming Bird)
o Kanzaki Akari (Battle Athletess)

Those I am not too sure...

o Mizuno Ami (Sailor Moon)
o Nakatomi Nanaka (Mahou Tsukai Tai!)
o Daidouji Tomoyo (CC Sakura)
o Narusegawa Naru (Love Hina)
o Ikeda Kazuma (Kare Kano)
o Hinayama Rio (To Heart)

Those whose father doesn't exists ^_-

o Spor (Seikai no Monshou)
o All of the Mejer Grils (Vandread)
--
Nobutoshi Ito
non...@trp.beri.co.jp

Ethan Hammond

Dec 19, 2000, 5:37:54 AM12/19/00
Ryan Mathews wrote:

> Something weird hit me. Anime is full of widower fathers raising their
> children alone:
>
> -- Card Captor Sakura
> -- Tenchi Muyo
> -- Kimagure Orange Road
> -- Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl
> -- (any more?)

Nuku Nuku should probably count because the mother and
father are estranged.

> ...but I can't think of a single widowed *mother* raising her kids alone.
> Can you?
>
> I wonder why that is. I can't help but wonder if it's a cultural double-
> standard. The widower father is a trooper for struggling alone, but the
> single mother is shameful and should get herself a husband...

What about Pokemon? If Ash's(Satoshi's) father isn't dead then they sure
act like he is.

--
All Purpose Cultural Randomness
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html

Andy00

Dec 19, 2000, 9:56:20 AM12/19/00
Valerie S Yoza sez...

>Cardcaptor Sakura (Tomoyo's parents are divorced, she lives with her
>mother)

Really? They're _divorced?_ I thought it was like Ash's Dad, just "not
mentioned." What episode has this revealed?

Given Tomoyo's and her mother's tendencies, I've partially in jest assumed that
her mom just produced Tomoyo assexually. <g>

"I have been a word in a book."
The Song of Taliesin

"If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that
fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and
heartbeats."
Richard Bach -- "Illusions"

Disruptor

Dec 19, 2000, 11:06:18 AM12/19/00
Ryan Mathews wrote:

> Something weird hit me. Anime is full of widower fathers raising their
> children alone:
>
> -- Card Captor Sakura
> -- Tenchi Muyo
> -- Kimagure Orange Road
> -- Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl
> -- (any more?)
Fumio Fukamchi from Guyver. After the Enzyme II debacle, Sho Fukamachi
is an orphan.
Speaking of orphans: Akira Fudo, Sylia Singray, Mackie Stingray

> ...but I can't think of a single widowed *mother* raising her kids alone.
> Can you?
Tony's mom from the 2nd Fatal Fury OVA(It was mentioned that his father
was killed in a street fight).

Delia Kethcum from Pokemon(We don't see Ash's dad and there is
speculation that Ash is Giovanni's son)

> I wonder why that is. I can't help but wonder if it's a cultural double-
> standard. The widower father is a trooper for struggling alone, but the
> single mother is shameful and should get herself a husband...
> --
> ---------- Ryan Mathews
>
> Email: math...@ix.netcom.com ICQ#: 11539925
> Fanfic archive: http://soyokaze.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~mathews/
> Read my web review column, "Last Exit Before Toll"
> on the Anime Web Turnpike http://www.anipike.com/lastexit/
> Read my dub review column, "The Dub Track"
> at http://akadot.com/ (in the "Columns" section)

--
Tom Mathews a.k.a. Disruptor
http://home1.gte.net/mathews1/

noit...@hotmail.com

Dec 19, 2000, 11:14:49 AM12/19/00
In article <01c06943$ad6cfc20$c98b94cf@dinnigah>,
That reflects reality pretty frequently, and as they still have fewer
divorces than here in Japan, the most single parents appear in anime to
be widowed.

Doctor Chibi-Moon

Dec 19, 2000, 11:27:19 AM12/19/00

I just read a really interesting book... it's called 'Womansword', by
Kittredge Cherry, and it's about how Japanese language reflects the way
women are seen in Japanese culture. It's over ten years old so some of
what's in it might be a little out of date (in terms of the progress of
feminism in Japan, etc.) but it's still an interesting etymological
study, and it has some insight into matters like this. I'm no expert on
Japanese culture by any means, but from what I read in that book I'd
tend to agree that fathers are seen as less capable in things like
child-rearing and cooking and cleaning. There was even, as I recall, a
word for bumbling men who hang around in the kitchen trying to 'help'
but who only succeed in getting underfoot. :D

--Brenda

noit...@hotmail.com

Dec 19, 2000, 11:24:01 AM12/19/00
In article <91mqp1$ggm$1...@autumn.news.rcn.net>,

"Arnold Kim" <ki...@erols.com> wrote:

> Ryan Mathews <math...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > Something weird hit me. Anime is full of widower fathers raising
their
> > children alone:
> Ranma 1/2. Not quite alone, but but both wives here are eitherdead,
or
> don't show up till a bit later.
> IIRC, Ami's mother in Sailor Moon raises her without any
acknowlegement of a
> father. Then again, she hardly shows up in the series herself...

In Inuyasha, Kagome's mother is the only parent we see.

noit...@hotmail.com

Dec 19, 2000, 11:45:02 AM12/19/00
In article <20001218233254...@ng-mj1.aol.com>,

shado...@aol.com (Shadow6865) wrote:

> Something weird hit me. Anime is full of widower fathers raising
their
> children alone:
>

> ...but I can't think of a single widowed *mother* raising her kids
alone.
> Can you?
> >>

> Also through in Ranma 1/2 to the mix. In the Fushigi
Yuugi anime and manga,
> Miaka's mother is divorced and you never see the father's face. In
Inu-Yasha,
> Kagome lives with her mother and grandfather. We never see a father.
>
> << I wonder why that is. I can't help but wonder if it's a cultural
> double-standard. The widower father is a trooper for struggling
alone, but the single mother is shameful and should get herself a
husband... >>

I do not think it is shameful, but speaking from my experience in a
home where my dad died of cancer when I was nine, two-parent homes are
best, because earning income and raising four kids is going to drain
years from your life, as I have seen it from my mother. She is the
biggest believer in two-parent child raising I know. But saddled with
four kids, finding a suitable spouse is hard. SHe says that a widower
with four kids has it much easier to find a wife than a widow with
four kids to find a husband.

> It's cultural but not the way you mention. In Japan, the mother is a
> traditional lord dictator of the house

You go, girl!

who makes sure evrything gets
> done on time by everyone.

WHich is a good thing, but these comedies are for Japanese to unwind,
let their hair down, and have fun. Straight-lacer that I am, I can
certainly appreciate it.

noit...@hotmail.com

Dec 19, 2000, 11:50:44 AM12/19/00
In article <3A3EF36E...@nospambaka.hotmail.com>,

Anne Packrat <annep...@nospambaka.hotmail.com> wrote:
> > ...but I can't think of a single widowed *mother* raising her kids
alone.
> > Can you?
>
> Sure. It's the most obvious one.
>
> Pokemon.
>
> Well, we'ren't really sure where he his, (I have my own theories on
the
> subject) but Ash's mom is raising the boy alone. Now about raising
him well...
> that is open to interpretation.

Indeed. She either does not care that he wanders around Japan on foot,
looking for potentially dangerous monster, or else has great faith in
the country's police force and virtuous citizenry.

KK

Dec 19, 2000, 12:08:50 PM12/19/00

"Ryan Mathews" <math...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Something weird hit me. Anime is full of widower fathers raising their
> children alone:
>
> -- Card Captor Sakura
> -- Tenchi Muyo
> -- Kimagure Orange Road
> -- Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl
> -- (any more?)

Sanada -Dual (in 2 different dimensions even)

Anne Packrat

Dec 19, 2000, 4:16:50 PM12/19/00
> Delia Kethcum from Pokemon(We don't see Ash's dad and there is
> speculation that Ash is Giovanni's son)

Nah, Professor Oak's his dad. Ever notice when he calls home or Professor
Oak, they just happen to be there together? And they take a freaking vacation
together for Gods sake!

Anne Packrat

Dec 19, 2000, 4:18:12 PM12/19/00
> Indeed. She either does not care that he wanders around Japan on foot,
> looking for potentially dangerous monster, or else has great faith in
> the country's police force and virtuous citizenry.

Well, frankly, I think the Pokemon world is fairly safe as long as one has
a good Pokemon with them to fight off intruders. I'm more worried about the
fact that Ash has like what, 2 changes of clothes?

Galen Musbach

Dec 19, 2000, 4:38:48 PM12/19/00

Anne Packrat wrote:

> > Delia Kethcum from Pokemon(We don't see Ash's dad and there is
> > speculation that Ash is Giovanni's son)
>
> Nah, Professor Oak's his dad. Ever notice when he calls home or Professor
> Oak, they just happen to be there together? And they take a freaking
> vacation together for Gods sake!

I thought it odd that Ash didn't find that odd.

BUT, I thought Gary was Professor Oak's grandson, and Ash had
a major crush on Gary's big sister; is it wrong to (want to) date the
grand-daughter of the man your mother is dating?

-Ga-len

Gatts

Dec 19, 2000, 4:42:09 PM12/19/00
On Mon, 18 Dec 2000 22:04:09 -0500, "Arnold Kim" <ki...@erols.com>
wrote:

>Ryan Mathews <math...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> Something weird hit me. Anime is full of widower fathers raising their
>> children alone:
>>
>> -- Card Captor Sakura
>> -- Tenchi Muyo
>> -- Kimagure Orange Road
>> -- Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl
>> -- (any more?)
>
>Ranma 1/2. Not quite alone, but but both wives here are eitherdead, or
>don't show up till a bit later.

Which explains why so many of the characters are messed up in the
head. :)

BTW, I don't think Shampoo or Ukyou's mother ever showed up (their
fathers did). Same with Konatsu (father married wicked step sisters),
Ryouga (he never calls his mother, but he does call his father to
confirm he had a sister. I assume she is alive though), Shinnosuke
(grandfather), Kuno (Father is a loon), and so on. Like I said, most
of the characters in Ranma have mental disbalances because of missing
parental figures. :)

Gatts

Dec 19, 2000, 4:45:10 PM12/19/00
On Mon, 18 Dec 2000 21:51:31 -1000, Valerie S Yoza <vy...@hawaii.edu>
wrote:

>Yuu Yuu Hakusho (Yuusuke's father doesn't seem to be around)

slight spoiler for Yuu Yuu Hakusho....

Yuusuke's father is a makai. That is why Yuusuke becomes so powerful.
Later on in the series, he joins up with his dead father spirit, grows
long Ushiro and Tora like hair (for a little while) and becomes
powered up as a full half demon. That is how he finally becomes a
S-level... at least that what I remember of it. I haven't read YYH in
a while so I don't remember his name. :P

Gatts

Dec 19, 2000, 4:49:12 PM12/19/00
On 19 Dec 2000 04:32:54 GMT, shado...@aol.com (Shadow6865) wrote:

>Tenchi? Would Sakura's mom let her go out chasing after clow cards when she has
>homework and chores to do or it is way past her bed time?

Sure she would and she has. If she ever had a problem with Sakura
running around, she could have appeared to Touya or Fujitaka and told
them directly to stop Sakura from doing what she was doing. Remember,
they both have magic powers (not to the extent of Sakura) and can see
and hear the dead (well at least until [Spoiler]...

MoongluM

Dec 19, 2000, 5:05:09 PM12/19/00
Andy00 <and...@aol.com.net.com> wrote in message

> Valerie S Yoza sez...
>
> >Cardcaptor Sakura (Tomoyo's parents are divorced, she lives with her
> >mother)
>
> Really? They're _divorced?_ I thought it was like Ash's Dad, just "not
> mentioned." What episode has this revealed?

episode 7, I believe in the original Card Captor Sakura, the one where
Sakura
goes over to tomoyo's house for the 1st time

> Given Tomoyo's and her mother's tendencies, I've partially in jest assumed
that
> her mom just produced Tomoyo assexually. <g>

--

-MoongluM

God is in his Heaven and all is right with the world.

MoongluM's Fansub Distro and Trading
http://moonglum.saberdoll.net/

MoongluM

Dec 19, 2000, 5:25:04 PM12/19/00
KK <kku...@news.zoominternet.net> wrote in message

> "Ryan Mathews" <math...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > Something weird hit me. Anime is full of widower fathers raising their
> > children alone:
> >
> > -- Card Captor Sakura
> > -- Tenchi Muyo
> > -- Kimagure Orange Road
> > -- Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl
> > -- (any more?)
> >

> Sanada -Dual (in 2 different dimensions even)

Actually, he is childless in the alternate dimension...
and not a widower, but mom ran off, but close enough!
Miyuki is someone else's daughter in the alternate dimension
(same mother as far as I can tell though, it seems)

adding my 2 cents, I think that Nozomi from bewitching Nozomi
has only one parent, and maybe Yatiko as well, anyone
remember?

Recca from Flame of Recca is raised by a single "dad" then it turns out
he has just a mom....

also for mother's raising their children alone, there is Mariko from
Oniisama E
(referred to as Brother Dear Brother by the subber), I don't remember what
happened to her dad offhand, but I am sure that it is terribly melodramatic,
hehe

vanfanel

Dec 19, 2000, 6:27:54 PM12/19/00
In article <3A3F8AF1...@home.com>,
Doctor Chibi-Moon <star-...@home.com> wrote:

> There was even, as I recall, a
> word for bumbling men who hang around in the kitchen trying to 'help'
> but who only succeed in getting underfoot. :D

I've heard that before: it's gokurokubi-something (lit. "cockroach
husband", comparing him to another unwanted invader in the kitchen ^_^ )

--Daniel

tim gueguen

Dec 19, 2000, 7:19:42 PM12/19/00

"Anne Packrat" <annep...@nospambaka.hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Indeed. She either does not care that he wanders around Japan on foot,
> > looking for potentially dangerous monster, or else has great faith in
> > the country's police force and virtuous citizenry.
>
> Well, frankly, I think the Pokemon world is fairly safe as long as one has
> a good Pokemon with them to fight off intruders. I'm more worried about
the
> fact that Ash has like what, 2 changes of clothes?
> --
Nah, he's like the Simpsons, he has multiple copies of the same clothing.
No doubt if they showed the interior of his backpack we'd see 4 identical
vests, 4 pairs of gloves etc etc.

tim gueguen 101867

tim gueguen 101867

ataruk...@my-deja.com

Dec 19, 2000, 7:25:18 PM12/19/00
In article <20001218233254...@ng-mj1.aol.com>,
shado...@aol.com (Shadow6865) wrote:

> Something weird hit me. Anime is full of widower fathers raising
their
> children alone:
>
> -- Card Captor Sakura
> -- Tenchi Muyo
> -- Kimagure Orange Road
> -- Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl
> -- (any more?)
>
> ...but I can't think of a single widowed *mother* raising her kids
alone.
> Can you?
> >>

> Also through in Ranma 1/2 to the mix. In the Fushigi
Yuugi anime and manga,
> Miaka's mother is divorced and you never see the father's face. In
Inu-Yasha,
> Kagome lives with her mother and grandfather. We never see a father.
>
> << I wonder why that is. I can't help but wonder if it's a cultural
> double-standard. The widower father is a trooper for struggling
alone, but the

> single mother is shameful and should get herself a husband... >>
>
> It's cultural but not the way you mention. In Japan, the
mother is a
> traditional lord dictator of the house who makes sure evrything gets
done on
> time by everyone. The series you mention have far, out wacky
occurances. Do you
> think Achika Masaki would allow Ryoko and Ayeka to constantly fight
over

> Tenchi? Would Sakura's mom let her go out chasing after clow cards
when she has
> homework and chores to do or it is way past her bed time? Ms. Tendo
would
> certainly put a stop to all the wacky hijinks that happen in her
house. Even
> Nodoka Saotome who is pretty crazy herself put things under control in
Ranma
> 1/2.

This is only a very recent post-American occupation role of the
mother. Under the Meiji system, the father was Lord Dictator or as they
put it Head of Household. Women under 25 and men under 30 needed to get
permission of their father to marry. He could also initiate divorce at
anytime and he owned all the property which went to the first born son.
This was because the Meiji oligarchs modeled the Meiji family off of
samurai family system.

Galen Musbach

Dec 19, 2000, 7:51:29 PM12/19/00
I thought of another single mother:
Washu, Tenchi Muyo OAV continuity.

-Galen

Galen Musbach

Dec 19, 2000, 7:53:25 PM12/19/00

But Nabiki Tendo's thriftiness is reported to be considered a virtue
because managing the household budget is the wife's responsibility
(they tell me).

-Galen

David Crowe

Dec 19, 2000, 8:43:37 PM12/19/00
Brian Dinnigan <dinn...@cadvision.com> wrote:
: Ryan Mathews <math...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
: <900EBFD77math...@198.99.146.18>...
: > Something weird hit me. Anime is full of widower fathers raising their
: > children alone:
: >
: > -- Card Captor Sakura
: > -- Tenchi Muyo
: > -- Kimagure Orange Road
: > -- Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl
: > -- (any more?)
: >
: > ...but I can't think of a single widowed *mother* raising her kids alone.
:
: > Can you?
: >
: > I wonder why that is. I can't help but wonder if it's a cultural double-
: > standard. The widower father is a trooper for struggling alone, but the
: > single mother is shameful and should get herself a husband...

: Japanese mothers tend to rule the roost. With only a mother, there won't be

: much room for the kids to get in and out of whacky jams. Basically, she'd
: be TOO capable, and would ruin the fun.

: The widower father isn't really treated like a trooper, more like not
: totally capable of doing the task, and as a result there's a lot of room
: for comedic interference.

As an example, note how in the Ranma OVA, everyone in the Tendo house
straightens up when Mrs. Saotome shows up. Everyone either pays her a
great deal of respect or is in mortal terror of her...

As for a single mother, I think Minako in Sailor Moon is listed as having
only a mother, but I don't think she ever appears on camera.

--
David "No Nickname" Crowe http://www.primenet.com/~jetman

<Moan> "This episode of 'Buffy' is filled with continuity errors!
But I can't reach my internet newsgroup to *complain*!
Worst punishment ever!"
-Comic store guy in Hell, Simpsons Treehouse of Horror #6.

Bruce Grubb

Dec 19, 2000, 10:35:44 PM12/19/00
In article <3A400291...@xtn.net>, Galen Musbach <musb...@xtn.net>
wrote:

> I thought of another single mother:
>Washu, Tenchi Muyo OAV continuity.

True but the OAV Washu has some real serious emotional problems.

Anne Packrat

Dec 19, 2000, 10:57:33 PM12/19/00
> Nah, he's like the Simpsons, he has multiple copies of the same clothing.
> No doubt if they showed the interior of his backpack we'd see 4 identical
> vests, 4 pairs of gloves etc etc.

And a copy of Magical Pokemon Journey he hides from Misty. ^_^

Anne Packrat

Dec 19, 2000, 10:59:37 PM12/19/00
> But Nabiki Tendo's thriftiness is reported to be considered a virtue
> because managing the household budget is the wife's responsibility
> (they tell me).

What about selling risque photos of your sister? Is that a virtue too? ^_^

Scott Fujimoto

Dec 20, 2000, 12:07:35 AM12/20/00
>Recca from Flame of Recca is raised by a single "dad" then it turns out
>he has just a mom....

I guess Recca's mom technically counts as a widower... Family
dynamics are pretty messed up in that one, though...

>also for mother's raising their children alone, there is Mariko from
>Oniisama E
>(referred to as Brother Dear Brother by the subber), I don't remember what
>happened to her dad offhand, but I am sure that it is terribly melodramatic,
>hehe

[spoilers]

Her dad is around and even comes back when Mariko has one of
her psychotic fits, so it's not really a one-parent family. (still
messed up, though)

--Scott

"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to see if I really am alive."

Matt Martin

Dec 20, 2000, 12:20:25 AM12/20/00
After meditating for hours on Tue, 19 Dec 2000 22:59:37 -0500, Anne
Packrat <annep...@nospambaka.hotmail.com> imparted the following
wisdom unto us:

> > But Nabiki Tendo's thriftiness is reported to be considered a virtue
> > because managing the household budget is the wife's responsibility
> > (they tell me).
>
> What about selling risque photos of your sister? Is that a virtue too? ^_^

It's a signed death warrant if your sister's name happens to be Luna
Inverse...

--
Matt Martin -=- buford @ nekomusume.net -=- http://nekomusume.net/
"God, root, what is difference?"

Ethan Hammond

Dec 20, 2000, 3:34:38 AM12/20/00
Galen Musbach wrote:

> Anne Packrat wrote:
> >
> > > Delia Kethcum from Pokemon(We don't see Ash's dad and there is
> > > speculation that Ash is Giovanni's son)
> >
> > Nah, Professor Oak's his dad. Ever notice when he calls home or Professor
> > Oak, they just happen to be there together? And they take a freaking
> > vacation together for Gods sake!
>
> I thought it odd that Ash didn't find that odd.
>
> BUT, I thought Gary was Professor Oak's grandson, and Ash had
> a major crush on Gary's big sister; is it wrong to (want to) date the
> grand-daughter of the man your mother is dating?

When do we see Gary's big sister? Does it ever say Ash's Mom is
dating Professor Oak in the original Japanese version?

--
All Purpose Cultural Randomness
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html

Bruce Grubb

Dec 20, 2000, 8:41:00 AM12/20/00
In article <slrn940gc2...@yggdrasil.dhs.org>,
buf...@yggdrasil.dhs.org (Matt Martin) wrote:

>After meditating for hours on Tue, 19 Dec 2000 22:59:37 -0500, Anne
>Packrat <annep...@nospambaka.hotmail.com> imparted the following
>wisdom unto us:
>
>> > But Nabiki Tendo's thriftiness is reported to be considered a virtue
>> > because managing the household budget is the wife's responsibility
>> > (they tell me).
>>
>> What about selling risque photos of your sister? Is that a virtue too?
>> ^_^
>
>It's a signed death warrant if your sister's name happens to be Luna
>Inverse...

And if Lina Inverse is pissed up enough one will see the wounder of larger
parts of the countryside being subjected to 'Dragon Slave'.

r...@rgmondo.cjb.net

Dec 20, 2000, 9:32:19 AM12/20/00
In article <3A3F87...@gte.net>,
math...@gte.net wrote:
> Ryan Mathews wrote:
> >

> Delia Kethcum from Pokemon(We don't see Ash's dad and there is
> speculation that Ash is Giovanni's son)

The speculation is true in the "Pokemon Live" musical shown in the
United States. Ash's mother said that she had a sexual affair with
Giovanni before she married her husband. Ash is Giovanni's son.

However, in the anime dub and the original series, it is not the case.
"Pokemon Live" is not considered cannon to most fans and seen as an
"alternative universe" of Pokemon. It would be controversial to have an
main character who is an illegitimate child of a popular anime dub.

Can I add something about Musashi (Jessie in the English dub)? Her
mother Miyamoto did not appear in the anime series, but did appear in
the radio drama, "The Birth of Mewtwo." She left her daughter when she
was an infant in search of Mew in the Andes Mountains and never
returned. Musashi's father was never mentioned. I could not say whether
Musashi's parents are married, divorced, or never married because the
radio drama does not mention this.

Here is a translation of "The Birth of Mewtwo" which Miyamoto is
prominent:

http://members.tripod.com/~pmtranslation/bom1.html

-rgmondo

Arnold Kim

Dec 20, 2000, 6:21:08 PM12/20/00

Gatts <ga...@tenshitoakumas.com> wrote in message

> On Mon, 18 Dec 2000 22:04:09 -0500, "Arnold Kim" <ki...@erols.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Ryan Mathews <math...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> >> Something weird hit me. Anime is full of widower fathers raising their
> >> children alone:
> >>
> >> -- Card Captor Sakura
> >> -- Tenchi Muyo
> >> -- Kimagure Orange Road
> >> -- Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl
> >> -- (any more?)
> >
> >Ranma 1/2. Not quite alone, but but both wives here are eitherdead, or
> >don't show up till a bit later.
>
> Which explains why so many of the characters are messed up in the
> head. :)

^_^ Well, Ranma and the Tendo girls aren't so bad. Not perfect, but not
completely nutso either. Unless you're one of those people who thinks of
Kasumi in that way.

> BTW, I don't think Shampoo or Ukyou's mother ever showed up (their
> fathers did). Same with Konatsu (father married wicked step sisters),

IIRC, she was referenced very briefly in his first story, but that was about
it...

> Ryouga (he never calls his mother, but he does call his father to
> confirm he had a sister. I assume she is alive though), Shinnosuke
> (grandfather), Kuno (Father is a loon), and so on. Like I said, most
> of the characters in Ranma have mental disbalances because of missing
> parental figures. :)

Except for Kuno's mom, who I'd like to think got out for the sake of her own
sanity.:)

Arnold Kim

Arnold Kim

Dec 20, 2000, 6:23:35 PM12/20/00

Matt Martin <buf...@yggdrasil.dhs.org> wrote in message

> After meditating for hours on Tue, 19 Dec 2000 22:59:37 -0500, Anne
> Packrat <annep...@nospambaka.hotmail.com> imparted the following
> wisdom unto us:
>
> > > But Nabiki Tendo's thriftiness is reported to be considered a virtue
> > > because managing the household budget is the wife's responsibility
> > > (they tell me).
> >
> > What about selling risque photos of your sister? Is that a virtue too?
^_^

> It's a signed death warrant if your sister's name happens to be Luna
> Inverse...

No, because that would mean that Luna would think that people _want_ to see
Lina naked. :)

Arnold Kim

Anne Packrat

Dec 20, 2000, 8:51:51 PM12/20/00
> When do we see Gary's big sister?

Manga.

> Does it ever say Ash's Mom is
> dating Professor Oak in the original Japanese version?

Nope, just a lot of circumstancal evidence. Like the fact that James is gay.

r...@rgmondo.cjb.net

Dec 21, 2000, 10:19:40 AM12/21/00
In article <3A416237...@nospambaka.hotmail.com>,

Anne Packrat <annep...@nospambaka.hotmail.com> wrote:
> > When do we see Gary's big sister?
>
> Manga.
>
> > Does it ever say Ash's Mom is
> > dating Professor Oak in the original Japanese version?
>
> Nope, just a lot of circumstancal evidence. Like the fact that James
is gay.

Also a cultural misunderstanding. If James is "gay" as some ignorant
people think he is, 4Kids Productions would either:

a) Remove the gay references in the dialogue and scenes
b) Omit episodes which show gay references
c) Change "James" gender similar to what DiC did to Zoisite in
Sailormoon
d) Not dub Pocket Monsters

Alex Taylor

Dec 21, 2000, 5:47:17 PM12/21/00
On Thu, 21 Dec 2000 01:51:51, Anne Packrat <annep...@nospambaka.hotmail.com> wrote:

> > Does it ever say Ash's Mom is
> > dating Professor Oak in the original Japanese version?
>
> Nope, just a lot of circumstancal evidence. Like the fact that James is gay.

Poor comparison. There's some tentative evidence to suggest
a Mrs.Ketchum/Prof.Oak understanding. But absolutely no
evidence at all to suggest James is gay, and a large amount of
evidence to suggest he's straight.

Alex Taylor BA - CIS - University of Guelph
al...@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca http://eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca/~alex

Anne Packrat

Dec 21, 2000, 9:33:00 PM12/21/00

> Also a cultural misunderstanding. If James is "gay" as some ignorant
> people think he is, 4Kids Productions would either:
>
> a) Remove the gay references in the dialogue and scenes
> b) Omit episodes which show gay references
> c) Change "James" gender similar to what DiC did to Zoisite in
> Sailormoon
> d) Not dub Pocket Monsters

Now first off I have nothing against homosexuals. I have friends of that
orientation. Just that much of the evidence for James fits the
stereotype of gays so well that I have to wonder if they didn't intend some of
it.

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Dec 22, 2000, 2:15:23 AM12/22/00
On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Galen Musbach wrote:

> Anne Packrat wrote:
> >
> > > Delia Kethcum from Pokemon(We don't see Ash's dad and there is
> > > speculation that Ash is Giovanni's son)
> >

> > Nah, Professor Oak's his dad. Ever notice when he calls home or Professor
> > Oak, they just happen to be there together? And they take a freaking
> > vacation together for Gods sake!
>
> I thought it odd that Ash didn't find that odd.
>
> BUT, I thought Gary was Professor Oak's grandson, and Ash had
> a major crush on Gary's big sister; is it wrong to (want to) date the
> grand-daughter of the man your mother is dating?

Ash finally developed hormones?

Laters. =)

STan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | U of Rochester www.cif.rochester.edu/~stanlee
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/___ |__| |__|___| \ ___|

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Dec 22, 2000, 2:18:00 AM12/22/00
On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Anne Packrat wrote:

> > But Nabiki Tendo's thriftiness is reported to be considered a virtue
> > because managing the household budget is the wife's responsibility
> > (they tell me).
>
> What about selling risque photos of your sister? Is that a virtue too? ^_^
> --

I dunno if this happens in the manga,
but one of the Ranma OVAs when Akanes tries to cook,
Soun asked Nabiki to do something to save them
and she responded by trying to order deluxe sushi
to which Soun retorted that they can't afford it.
So, as long as it isn't her money, Nabiki isn't so thrift after all.

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Dec 22, 2000, 2:21:09 AM12/22/00
On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 r...@rgmondo.cjb.net wrote:

> In article <3A3F87...@gte.net>,
> math...@gte.net wrote:
> > Ryan Mathews wrote:
> > >

> > Delia Kethcum from Pokemon(We don't see Ash's dad and there is
> > speculation that Ash is Giovanni's son)
>
> The speculation is true in the "Pokemon Live" musical shown in the
> United States. Ash's mother said that she had a sexual affair with
> Giovanni before she married her husband. Ash is Giovanni's son.

The one shown in Radio City Music Hall and open to kids?
Methinks many parents wouldn't approve of it for their kids
if they've known of it beforehand.

BTW, who's Giovanni again?

Laters. =)

Stan

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Dec 22, 2000, 2:24:49 AM12/22/00
On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Anne Packrat wrote:

> > Also a cultural misunderstanding. If James is "gay" as some ignorant
> > people think he is, 4Kids Productions would either:
> >
> > a) Remove the gay references in the dialogue and scenes
> > b) Omit episodes which show gay references
> > c) Change "James" gender similar to what DiC did to Zoisite in
> > Sailormoon
> > d) Not dub Pocket Monsters
>
> Now first off I have nothing against homosexuals. I have friends of that
> orientation. Just that much of the evidence for James fits the
> stereotype of gays so well that I have to wonder if they didn't intend some of
> it.
> --

Many crossdressers are straight.
They just want to experience the other side,
kinda like acting and dressing the part. ^_^
Maybe in a quest to understand the mysteries of the opposite sex?
How about Mel Gibson's new movie?

James 'Tengu' King

Dec 22, 2000, 6:37:47 AM12/22/00
S.t.A.n.L.e.E <sta...@roundtable.cif.rochester.edu> wrote in message
..

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 r...@rgmondo.cjb.net wrote:

> > The speculation is true in the "Pokemon Live" musical shown in the
> > United States. Ash's mother said that she had a sexual affair with
> > Giovanni before she married her husband. Ash is Giovanni's son.

::Blinkblink:: Aroo?

> The one shown in Radio City Music Hall and open to kids?
> Methinks many parents wouldn't approve of it for their kids
> if they've known of it beforehand.

::Dumbfounded nod:: I get the feeling that rg's stating this a TAD blunter
than it is in the actual show. (Assuming (s)he's not pulling our collective
leg.)

> BTW, who's Giovanni again?

Mysterious (For most of the game and the first little bit of the series)
leader of Team Rocket, head of Veridian (IIRC) Gym, erstwhile master of
Mewtwo, and constant tormentor of the true heroes of the show, Jesse and
James. ^__^ AKA: The guy in the shadows.

--
James 'Tengu' King - The Tanuki of Total Bewilderment

"Hello, Mr. Postmodern"
-Lyabibrave referring to me on r.a.a.m.

Visit the Anime Tangents Page: http://westwood.fortunecity.com/smith/467/

Desperate, for something to touch
A moment of kindness like that in a dream
Your innocent eyes, have yet no idea
of the path your destiny will follow...
- Cruel Angel's Thesis - English Translation

r...@rgmondo.cjb.net

Dec 22, 2000, 8:22:28 AM12/22/00
In article <Pine.BSO.4.10.10012220218050.18296-
100...@roundtable.cif.rochester.edu>,

"S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <sta...@roundtable.cif.rochester.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 r...@rgmondo.cjb.net wrote:
>
> > In article <3A3F87...@gte.net>,
> > math...@gte.net wrote:
> > > Ryan Mathews wrote:
> > > >

> > > Delia Kethcum from Pokemon(We don't see Ash's dad and there is
> > > speculation that Ash is Giovanni's son)
> >
> > The speculation is true in the "Pokemon Live" musical shown in the
> > United States. Ash's mother said that she had a sexual affair with
> > Giovanni before she married her husband. Ash is Giovanni's son.
>
> The one shown in Radio City Music Hall and open to kids?
> Methinks many parents wouldn't approve of it for their kids
> if they've known of it beforehand.

Yes. Some fans take the live action musical as "canon," even though it
is based on the anime dub. I do not take it as Pokemon canon.

> BTW, who's Giovanni again?

The leader of Team Rocket and the gym leader of the town Ash gone to in
his journeys.

r...@rgmondo.cjb.net

Dec 22, 2000, 8:23:59 AM12/22/00
In article <f1H06.15510$pQ4.1...@jekyl.ab.tac.net>,

"James 'Tengu' King" <jvk...@3web.net> wrote:
> S.t.A.n.L.e.E <sta...@roundtable.cif.rochester.edu> wrote in message
100...@roundtable.cif.rochester.edu.

> ..
> > On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 r...@rgmondo.cjb.net wrote:
>
> > > The speculation is true in the "Pokemon Live" musical shown in the
> > > United States. Ash's mother said that she had a sexual affair with
> > > Giovanni before she married her husband. Ash is Giovanni's son.
>
> ::Blinkblink:: Aroo?
>
> > The one shown in Radio City Music Hall and open to kids?
> > Methinks many parents wouldn't approve of it for their kids
> > if they've known of it beforehand.
>
> ::Dumbfounded nod:: I get the feeling that rg's stating this a TAD
blunter
> than it is in the actual show. (Assuming (s)he's not pulling our
collective
> leg.)

If you do not believe me, go watch "Pokemon Live."

k-chan

Dec 22, 2000, 10:19:09 AM12/22/00
ryan mathews wrote:
>>Something weird hit me. Anime is full of widower fathers raising their

children alone: -- Card Captor Sakura -- Tenchi Muyo -- Kimagure Orange Road

-- Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl ...but I can't think of a single widowed

*mother* raising her kids alone. Can you?<<

[k-chan wracks her brain] SM. ami is being raised by just her mother as
her parents are seperated. same differance, in the regards of single
parenting. also, Naru, whom i believe is just being raised by her mom, though
since she is a secondary character, not as much is revealed about her life.
Utena (manga more than anime) is being raised by her... aunt because her
parents are both deceased. her aunt is single during the story. Kodomo no
Omocha. sana-chan is being raised by just her mother. rei-kun may look after
her, but her mother is the supreme authority, and, well, sana-chan's mom whom
she loves very much :)

>>I wonder why that is. I can't help but wonder if it's a cultural double-

standard. The widower father is a trooper for struggling alone, but the
single mother is shameful and should get herself a husband...<<

i don't know if i'd put it that way. and, for the most part, in terms of
the japanese family, the wife/mother is the "higher" authority. the more
modern japanese family is a bit more balanced i think in that the father is
spending more quality time with the family, and not just working. even so,
the female is still more the governess of the roost in regards to inner
family affairs :) any other input would be wonderful ^^ something else that
is rather interestingly present in anime is the young adult raising
him/herself alone. some examples would be Kino Makoto from SM, Kaoru from
Kenshin, Narutaki from Steam Detectives (lives by himself while running a
detective agency).... can anyone else think of any others? Rally from
Gunsmith Cats, whom has been by herself for quite a few years, though in the
present story, is only 18 or 19. so, she was by herself before she was
legally an adult, by US standards. and then there's Misty and Becky, both of
whom are obviously very self-capable :)

k-chan
--
"Life is short. Eat Sushi ^_^" - me
"I journey on, ever believing that the person I will be

Slithy Tove

Dec 23, 2000, 12:50:10 AM12/23/00
On 18 Dec 2000 22:58:54 GMT, ddda...@hindmost.lpl.arizona.edu (Doug
Dawson) wrote:

>>> Something weird hit me. Anime is full of widower fathers raising their
>>> children alone:
>>>
>>> -- Card Captor Sakura
>>> -- Tenchi Muyo
>>> -- Kimagure Orange Road
>>> -- Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl

>>> -- (any more?)

>>> ...but I can't think of a single widowed *mother* raising her kids alone.
>>
>>> Can you?
>>>

>>> I wonder why that is. I can't help but wonder if it's a cultural double-
>>> standard. The widower father is a trooper for struggling alone, but the
>>> single mother is shameful and should get herself a husband...
>

>I don't know about _cultural_ double standard. I remember reading an article
>reviewing a new crop of American shows with the comment that "The most dangerous
>job in America today seems to be that of mother" because of the number of widowers
>that season. Possibly it's because the father is assumed to be not as good with the
>kids, so there's more opportunities for parenting screwups (for either comedic
>or dramatic purposes). A single father can be assumed (rightly or wrongly) to have
>a job that pays enough, so it's his interactions with the kids that are the focus.
>With a single mom, there's going to be much more focus on her job trials. If the mom's
>the star of the show, that's fine, but if it's about the kids...

Another advantage to the writers in having a single parent, male or
female, is that it allows for subplots involving romantic
entanglements of the parent. My impression is that this is why there
are so many single parents in American media, at least.

== Tove
--
Sec., Kaoru Kozue Wild Animal Sanctuary Trust Fund

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Dec 23, 2000, 6:23:36 PM12/23/00
On Fri, 22 Dec 2000 r...@rgmondo.cjb.net wrote:

> In article <Pine.BSO.4.10.10012220218050.18296-
> 100...@roundtable.cif.rochester.edu>,
> "S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <sta...@roundtable.cif.rochester.edu> wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 r...@rgmondo.cjb.net wrote:

> > > The speculation is true in the "Pokemon Live" musical shown in the
> > > United States. Ash's mother said that she had a sexual affair with
> > > Giovanni before she married her husband. Ash is Giovanni's son.
> >
> > The one shown in Radio City Music Hall and open to kids?
> > Methinks many parents wouldn't approve of it for their kids
> > if they've known of it beforehand.
> >

> Yes. Some fans take the live action musical as "canon," even though it
> is based on the anime dub. I do not take it as Pokemon canon.

Maybe that's partly why the musical didn't do so well,
or at least it didn't do the musical any favors.
Word of mouth probably concerned prospective parents to keep away.

Anne Packrat

Dec 23, 2000, 8:34:46 PM12/23/00
> Many crossdressers are straight.
> They just want to experience the other side,
> kinda like acting and dressing the part. ^_^

True, true. But the crossdresser that leaps to mind right away (Nuriko)
doesn't help any. ^_-

> Maybe in a quest to understand the mysteries of the opposite sex?
> How about Mel Gibson's new movie?

Maybe!

Christian Gadeken

Dec 31, 2000, 1:26:30 AM12/31/00
On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 23:27:54 GMT, vanfanel <alse...@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>In article <3A3F8AF1...@home.com>,
> Doctor Chibi-Moon <star-...@home.com> wrote:
>
>> There was even, as I recall, a
>> word for bumbling men who hang around in the kitchen trying to 'help'
>> but who only succeed in getting underfoot. :D
>
>I've heard that before: it's gokurokubi-something (lit. "cockroach
>husband", comparing him to another unwanted invader in the kitchen ^_^ )

Nonono, that's the word for *Demon-Gods* who
hang around the kitchen trying to help.