OVA versus OAV

Owen Williams

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Ok, so we all know that OAV stands for "Original Animated Video." So how
come all of the official literature (on dvd menus, boxes, web sites)
writes OVA? Original Video Animated? What's going on here?

Owen Williams

Glenn Shaw

Sep 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/23/00
Owen Williams wrote...

> Ok, so we all know that OAV stands for "Original Animated Video." So how
> come all of the official literature (on dvd menus, boxes, web sites)
> writes OVA? Original Video Animated? What's going on here?

OVA = Original Video Animation.

The two terms are so close, and have essentially the same meaning, that
they're often used interchangably. Even so, I've seen the Japanese use OVA
more often, and Americans use OAV more often.

I tend to use OAV more often because I used that term frequently when I
first became an anime fan.

Glenn Shaw
President, Indiana Animation Club (www.indyanime.org)

cryptochrome

Sep 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/23/00
In article <_i3z5.3759$8X6....@newsfeed.slurp.net>, "Glenn Shaw"
<tog...@tcon.net> wrote:

And I use OVA, for the same reason.

cryptochrome
Freelance Anime Critic

--
Cryptochrome's Hotline Anime Review!
http://www.geocities.com/cryptochrome/char/

Rob Kelk

Sep 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/23/00
On Sat, 23 Sep 2000 13:05:22 -0400, crypto...@yahoo.com
(cryptochrome) wrote:

>In article <_i3z5.3759$8X6....@newsfeed.slurp.net>, "Glenn Shaw"
><tog...@tcon.net> wrote:

<snip>

>>I tend to use OAV more often because I used that term frequently when I
>>first became an anime fan.

>And I use OVA, for the same reason.

I use OAV, for two reasons:
* With my high-school science background, I think of eggs when I see
"OVA";
* There's less of a confusion factor - "OVA" is one typo away from
being "EVA".

--
Rob Kelk http://members.tripod.com/~robkelk/ rob...@ottawa.com
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

Arnold Kim

Sep 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/23/00

Owen Williams <ogwil...@students.wisc.edu> wrote in message

> Ok, so we all know that OAV stands for "Original Animated Video." So how

Not to split hairs, but I think it's "Original Animation Video".

> come all of the official literature (on dvd menus, boxes, web sites)
> writes OVA? Original Video Animated? What's going on here?

Original Video Animation, as others have said. But for me, I use OAV simply
because it seems to be used more often in US fandom than OVA, and that's
what I'm used to using.

Arnold Kim

animebay

Sep 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/23/00
I asked this question to my Japanese friend before, that's what said.
OAV started out first; however, the last two letters, AV is a very well-known
word in Japan meaning for Adult Video. So OAV often confuses the Japanese
people that it means Original Adult Video, yikes!! So later on, the anime
industry adopted the word, OVA (Original Video Animation) as the offical
term.

Owen Williams wrote:

> Ok, so we all know that OAV stands for "Original Animated Video." So how

> come all of the official literature (on dvd menus, boxes, web sites)
> writes OVA? Original Video Animated? What's going on here?
>

> Owen Williams

Christopher J. Sypal

Sep 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/23/00
Let it be known that on Sat, 23 Sep 2000 18:52:53 GMT, rob...@ottawa.com (Rob
Kelk) wrote:

>I use OAV, for two reasons:
>* With my high-school science background, I think of eggs when I see
> "OVA";
>* There's less of a confusion factor - "OVA" is one typo away from
> being "EVA".

That's one hell of a typo considering that the "O" and the "E" are on opposite
sides of the keyboard :)

{Christopher J. Sypal -- csy...@radiks.net}
[ The Domestic Anime CD Guide ]
[ http://www.radiks.net/csypal/cds/ ]

Sea Wasp

Sep 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/23/00
to Owen Williams
Owen Williams wrote:

> Ok, so we all know that OAV stands for "Original Animated Video." So how
> come all of the official literature (on dvd menus, boxes, web sites)
> writes OVA? Original Video Animated? What's going on here?
>
> Owen Williams

"Original Video Animation".

--
Sea Wasp http://www.wizvax.net/seawasp/index.html
/^\

Damien Galipo

Sep 23, 2000, 10:10:25 AM9/23/00
> Ok, so we all know that OAV stands for "Original Animated Video." So how
> come all of the official literature (on dvd menus, boxes, web sites)
> writes OVA? Original Video Animated? What's going on here?
>
> Owen Williams

Almost got it. Try Orignal Video Animation.

Damien

Ethan Hammond

Sep 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/24/00
Owen Williams wrote:

> Ok, so we all know that OAV stands for "Original Animated Video." So how
> come all of the official literature (on dvd menus, boxes, web sites)

What I want to know is how come on one every calls it a VOA. :)
OAV and OVA are the same thing some companies like one abriviation
some companies like the other one. I personally like OAV.

--
All Purpose Cultural Randomness
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html

Rob Kelk

Sep 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/24/00
On 23 Sep 2000 23:15:10 -0500, Christopher J. Sypal
<csy...@radiks.net> wrote:

>Let it be known that on Sat, 23 Sep 2000 18:52:53 GMT, rob...@ottawa.com (Rob
>Kelk) wrote:
>

>>I use OAV, for two reasons:
>>* With my high-school science background, I think of eggs when I see
>> "OVA";
>>* There's less of a confusion factor - "OVA" is one typo away from
>> being "EVA".
>
>That's one hell of a typo considering that the "O" and the "E" are on opposite
>sides of the keyboard :)

Depends on the keyboard - not everyone uses QWERTY...

>{Christopher J. Sypal -- csy...@radiks.net}
>[ The Domestic Anime CD Guide ]
>[ http://www.radiks.net/csypal/cds/ ]

Glenn Shaw

Sep 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/24/00
Rob Kelk wrote...

> Christopher J. Sypal wrote:

> >Rob Kelk wrote:
> >

> >>I use OAV, for two reasons:
> >>* With my high-school science background, I think of eggs when I see
> >> "OVA";
> >>* There's less of a confusion factor - "OVA" is one typo away from
> >> being "EVA".
> >
> >That's one hell of a typo considering that the "O" and the "E" are on
opposite
> >sides of the keyboard :)
>
> Depends on the keyboard - not everyone uses QWERTY...

Then you must use a Dvorak keyboard, Rob -- "O" and "E" *are* adjacent keys
on a Dvorak layout.

Wayne C. Morris

Sep 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/24/00
In article <39ccfb24...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>, rob...@ottawa.com (Rob
Kelk) wrote:

> >>I tend to use OAV more often because I used that term frequently when I
> >>first became an anime fan.
>
> >And I use OVA, for the same reason.
>

> I use OAV, for two reasons:
> * With my high-school science background, I think of eggs when I see
> "OVA";
> * There's less of a confusion factor - "OVA" is one typo away from
> being "EVA".

I prefer OVA because it's easier to pronounce clearly. "OAV" tends to
sound like "Oy Vee".

Gerard Motola

Sep 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/24/00
Ethan Hammond wrote:
> What I want to know is how come on one every calls it a VOA. :)
Or AOV (Animated Original Video)...

Ronald Kinion

Sep 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/25/00
>> What I want to know is how come on one every calls it a VOA. :)
>Or AOV (Animated Original Video)...

nah, that's a book by David Weber, Ashes of Victory. :-)

Anime fans should like it too. He blows up lots of stuff. :-)
--
Ronald Kinion <http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/~rkinion/>
* rki...@gocougs.wsu.edu * rki...@wsu.edu * Cou...@aol.com

Michael Borgwardt

Sep 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/25/00
In article <V8Ty5.783$4b5....@east6.usenetserver.com>,

"Owen Williams" <ogwil...@students.wisc.edu> writes:
> Ok, so we all know that OAV stands for "Original Animated Video." So how
> come all of the official literature (on dvd menus, boxes, web sites)
> writes OVA? Original Video Animated? What's going on here?

Basically, both are equally valid, both are used in Japan. I prefer
OAV, since OVA might lead to embarassing misunderstandings if interpreted
as an English word.

--
Michael "Brazil" Borgwardt --- Member of #WASHU# and Her would-be guinea-pig.
Untiring defender of Washu-chan, Asuka-chan and Elektra-chan.

Skeleton Man

Sep 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/25/00
I had heard the OVA is actually not used in Japan or that they prefer OAV
(Original animation video)

But I have not confirmed or verified any of this....

--
Skeleton Man
http://users.lvcm.com/artfx
"Michael Borgwardt" <borg...@informatik.tu-muenchen.de> wrote in message

Gerard Motola

Sep 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/25/00
Skeleton Man wrote:

> I had heard the OVA is actually not used in Japan or that they prefer OAV
> (Original animation video)
>
> But I have not confirmed or verified any of this....
I think it's the other way around...
Most of the time I've seen the Japanese use OVA...

Louis Patterson

Sep 25, 2000, 10:43:38 PM9/25/00
On 25 Sep 2000, Ronald Kinion wrote:

> >> What I want to know is how come on one every calls it a VOA. :)
> >Or AOV (Animated Original Video)...
> >

> nah, that's a book by David Weber, Ashes of Victory. :-)
>
> Anime fans should like it too. He blows up lots of stuff. :-)

Also, he has possibly the most bizzaire author blurb ever written in the
english language.

Louis
--
Louis Patterson l.patt...@student.unimelb.edu.au

Wayne C. Morris

Sep 25, 2000, 10:51:51 PM9/25/00
In article <ssvhmrl...@corp.supernews.com>, "Skeleton Man"
<skel...@planetbone.com> wrote:

> I had heard the OVA is actually not used in Japan or that they prefer OAV
> (Original animation video)
>
> But I have not confirmed or verified any of this....

My Sakura Taisen soundtrack CD uses the English phrase "Original Video
Animation" in the title.

And at least one of my Tenchi Muyo LDs has "OVA" on the Japanese back
cover. (Pioneer USA used the original Japanese LD jackets, adding a
flap with an English version of the Japanese back cover.)

So I think it's safe to say that they do use "OVA" sometimes.

Demian Phillips

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00
borg...@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Michael Borgwardt) wrote:

>In article <V8Ty5.783$4b5....@east6.usenetserver.com>,
> "Owen Williams" <ogwil...@students.wisc.edu> writes:
>> Ok, so we all know that OAV stands for "Original Animated Video." So how
>> come all of the official literature (on dvd menus, boxes, web sites)
>> writes OVA? Original Video Animated? What's going on here?
>
>Basically, both are equally valid, both are used in Japan. I prefer
>OAV, since OVA might lead to embarassing misunderstandings if interpreted
>as an English word.

Don't say it as a word. Say it as an acronym. O.V.A. or O.A.V.

--
|^_^ |Well I've wrestled with reality for thirty |

Christopher J. Sypal

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00
Let it be known that on Tue, 26 Sep 2000 02:51:51 GMT, "Wayne C. Morris"
<nos...@this.is.invalid> wrote:

Bandai/Emotion, King Records/Starchild, Pioneer, and Victor Entertainment all
use OVA. Those companies make about 95%+ of the OVAs made. Newtype also uses
OVA.

I don't know where that person heard that they don't use "OVA" in Japan.