Japanese Manga and Anime Take Over America from Pacific News Service

Vince Lamb

Sep 29, 2003, 1:22:21 AM9/29/03
Decided to see what would pop up when I typed "anime" into Google
News. Most hits were from sites and publications that specialized in
anime (Anime News Network, for example). However, here's one that's a
little more general interest/mainstream. The author, BTW, has also
been a guest commentator on NPR's "All Things Considered".

Posted for non-profit public information and discussion purposes only.

http://news.pacificnews.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=afe4632414d29b3d5e324597a8eaffec

Japanese Manga and Anime Take Over America
Commentary, Andrew Lam, Aug 28, 2003
EDITOR'S NOTE: Japanese productivity has been limping for a decade,
but one export is kicking competitors abroad--mangas and animes. What
is it with these comic books and animated cartoons that they are
taking America by storm?

On a crowded train in Tokyo recently, I counted 16 adults in one
compartment alone reading mangas--Japanese comic books. Standing or
sitting, all were engrossed in their picture-novels. So intense was
their concentration that a few kept on reading as they exited the
train. One man actually missed his station.

The Japanese are passionate about their comic books and animated
cartoons (anime), but many are tickled that Americans are finding
their passion contagious. Mangas and anime are taking the United
States and many other countries by storm.

Paradoxically, while Japan has suffered from a decade-long economic
stagnation, it has become an exporting powerhouse of popular culture,
especially animation, comic books and video games. American fan
websites of mangas and anime abound. There are conventions on the
genres.

Japan even won an Oscar this year for animated feature with Hayao
Miyazaki's "Spirited Away," a poetic story of a little girl fending
for herself in an enchanted world full of witches, spirits and ghosts.
It beat out Hollywood heavy-hitters like "Ice Age" and "Lilo &
Stitch."

According to Koike Kazuo, a history professor and the famous author of
the "Lone Wolf and Cub" manga series, Japanese anime and mangas are
different from their American counterparts because they often "tend to
deal with complex characters that are both suited for children and
adults."

Superman, Green Lantern and other superheroes, observes Koike, "are
too overwhelming, like the U.S. military forces with their high tech
weapons. You grow up and get bored by them."

It's not the same with Japanese comic characters, he says. "The
characters may have some powers, but they are vulnerable. They might
be beaten by somebody, and people who read manga sympathize deeply
with the characters." On the deepest level, he explains, "Serious
mangas are about spiritual drama and love."

Koike can speak with authority. The first issue of the "Lone Wolf and
Cub" series U.S. edition sold around 120,000 copies in the late '70s,
making it the best-selling manga in the United States for decades.
Next year, the professor will launch a sequel, where Daigoro, the
samurai's little boy, grows up. His fans are waiting impatiently.

Coined in 1815 by woodblock artist Hokusai, "manga" describes his
illustrated doodles as "involuntary sketches or unintentional
pictures." But manga didn't turn into entertainment for children until
50 years ago when Tezuka Ozamu created the modern comic book with
Astro Boy, a robot with heart.

These days, major bookstores like Barnes and Noble offer all kind of
mangas. Amazon.com has an array of Japanese movies and comic books. Or
you can simply turn on the TV to watch some 20 cartoon shows like
"Pokemon" and "Sailor Moon" on various channels. According to Tokyo
Pop,which sells comic books, sales of DVD's and videos cassettes alone
are expected to reach $500 million dollars in America this year.

The latest craze to hit the country is the "Cowboy Beebop" anime,
about a group of futuristic bounty hunters who catch bad guys
throughout the galaxy. It has won a large following. "[Cowboy] Bebop
as a whole is phenomenal," writes one fan in Amazon.com, " I loved the
characters, the music and the visuals. I would recommend this to
anybody-- and that's saying something."

That animation is doing so well in America pleases Momoko Mano, a
graduate student at the University of Tokyo, but she didn't know it
until "Spirited Away" won an Oscar. "Japanese are so insulated that we
sometimes have no idea that our culture is being exported and
appreciated," she says. "For so long it's been the other way
around--we were at the receiving end."

She can see why the world of animation can be very seductive: "Like
soap opera in the U.S. you feel very involved with the characters.
Teenagers have committed suicide because their favorite characters
were killed."

Nobuhiko Horie, CEO of Raijin Comics, says the time is ripe to take
advantage of American interest. "Previous generations were resistant
to Asian products but younger Americans have grown up with
Streetfighter and Jackie Chan and sushi and walkmans," he says. "There
is a growing appreciation for Asian visual styles and action scenarios
that Hollywood lacks."

Raijin Comics is testing the water and selling about 20,000 copies of
its weekly in English. Readers get five continuing narratives, ranging
from basketball to a serious and very popular political drama called
"The First Japanese President," in which Japan finally moves out from
under America's shadow to make its own political decisions overseas.

For his part, Koike finds it interesting that the uniqueness of
Japanese imagination is what now what sells overseas. "I never wrote
my stories thinking they will be read by non-Japanese. But I am glad
that the world is now fascinated with what we created to entertain
ourselves."

Andrew Lam, a short story writer, is an editor at Pacific News Service

Pacific News Service

Travers Naran

Sep 29, 2003, 2:38:19 AM9/29/03
Vince Lamb wrote:

> http://news.pacificnews.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=afe4632414d29b3d5e324597a8eaffec

> That animation is doing so well in America pleases Momoko Mano, a
> graduate student at the University of Tokyo, but she didn't know it
> until "Spirited Away" won an Oscar. "Japanese are so insulated that we
> sometimes have no idea that our culture is being exported and
> appreciated," she says. "For so long it's been the other way
> around--we were at the receiving end."

I've heard this before, in various forms, over the years. I always
figured the Japanese fans knew it was being exported and thought no more
of it than Americans do of American movies and TV being exported. But
from a couple Japanese people I've talked to, they seem a little
surprised anime & manga is getting so popular over on this side of the
Pacific.

Anybody "in situ" in Japan care to comment?

> She can see why the world of animation can be very seductive: "Like
> soap opera in the U.S. you feel very involved with the characters.
> Teenagers have committed suicide because their favorite characters
> were killed."

Thankfully for Ethan, this didn't happen to Nuku Nuku. :-)

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Sep 29, 2003, 4:37:14 AM9/29/03
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Travers Naran wrote:

> Vince Lamb wrote:
>
> > She can see why the world of animation can be very seductive: "Like
> > soap opera in the U.S. you feel very involved with the characters.
> > Teenagers have committed suicide because their favorite characters
> > were killed."
>
> Thankfully for Ethan, this didn't happen to Nuku Nuku. :-)

Nah, all they need to do is create a sequel to the old OVAs
with Nuku^2 consumating a relationship with somebody. ^_^

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | U of Rochester cif.rochester.edu/~stanlee
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

Ethan Hammond

Sep 29, 2003, 5:48:28 AM9/29/03
"Travers Naran" <tna...@direct.ca> wrote in message

> > She can see why the world of animation can be very seductive: "Like
> > soap opera in the U.S. you feel very involved with the characters.
> > Teenagers have committed suicide because their favorite characters
> > were killed."

Japanese take things too seriously somtimes, eh.

> Thankfully for Ethan, this didn't happen to Nuku Nuku. :-)

LOL Hey now. *SHAKES FIST*

--
All Purpose Cultural Randomness
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html

Ethan Hammond

Sep 29, 2003, 5:50:09 AM9/29/03
"S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <sta...@cif.rochester.edu> wrote in message

> > Thankfully for Ethan, this didn't happen to Nuku Nuku. :-)
> >

> Nah, all they need to do is create a sequel to the old OVAs
> with Nuku^2 consumating a relationship with somebody. ^_^

I would have to kill that somebody rather than myself.
Only that would quell my anger, QUELL it!!!!
I will have my catgirl in this life, this life!!!! *SHAKES FIST*

Rob Kelk

Sep 29, 2003, 9:33:22 AM9/29/03
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 04:37:14 -0400, "S.t.A.n.L.e.E"
<sta...@cif.rochester.edu> wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Travers Naran wrote:
>
>> Vince Lamb wrote:
>>
>> > She can see why the world of animation can be very seductive: "Like
>> > soap opera in the U.S. you feel very involved with the characters.
>> > Teenagers have committed suicide because their favorite characters
>> > were killed."
>>
>> Thankfully for Ethan, this didn't happen to Nuku Nuku. :-)
>>

>Nah, all they need to do is create a sequel to the old OVAs
>with Nuku^2 consumating a relationship with somebody. ^_^

"Nuku-Nuku, I want your body!"
"Oh, you're always saying that, Eimi-chan..."

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> robkelk -at- jksrv -dot- com
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

Christopher Fiore

Sep 29, 2003, 2:13:51 PM9/29/03
Andrew Lam> On a crowded train in Tokyo recently, I counted 16 adults in one
Andrew Lam> compartment alone reading mangas--Japanese comic books.

What sort of manga are published for adults? What gets imported to the U.S.
is almost entirely kid's stuff.

John C. Watson

Sep 29, 2003, 4:15:57 PM9/29/03
On 09/29/2003 14:13, in article
zD_db.163358$3o3.11...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net, "Christopher
Fiore" <christop...@NOSPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote:

Not quite...

Central Park Media (CPM Manga 18 and Comics X; _Chirality_, Toshio Maeda's
works, et al., though they don't list them on their site)

<http://www.centralparkmedia.com/>

Fantagraphics/Eros Comix's MangErotica label

<http://eroscomix.com/>

I.C. Entertainment (formerly Ironcat Entertainment, especially their Sexy
Fruit imprint; _Ogenki Clinic_, et al.)

<http://www.ic-ent.com/>

Icarus Publishing

<http://www.icaruscomics.com/>

Radio Comix (_Luck of the Draw_, _Toughened Hide_ and _Wild Zoo_)

<http://www.radiocomix.com/index.html>

Redlight Manga (ComicsOne's adult label)

<http://www.redlightmanga.com/>

Antarctic Press and A. D. Vision (under their defunct Graphic Visions label)
also published adult manga, with A.P. pioneering the field under their Venus
Comics imprint with _Bondage Fairies_. For a (nearly) complete list, see
Alan D. Peters' Manga Commercially Available In English:

<http://animemania01.tripod.com/>

--
Ciao,
John

John C. Watson
World Otakunization Project, Amherst Division

"Shuraku-tai--hasshin!"

Ethan Hammond

Sep 29, 2003, 4:56:11 PM9/29/03
"Rob Kelk" <rob...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

> >Nah, all they need to do is create a sequel to the old OVAs
> >with Nuku^2 consumating a relationship with somebody. ^_^
>
> "Nuku-Nuku, I want your body!"
> "Oh, you're always saying that, Eimi-chan..."

And then they did stuff at the bathhouse. *nods nods*

Tlalocelotl Tlatoani

Sep 30, 2003, 3:47:30 AM9/30/03
"S.t.A.n.L.e.E" wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Travers Naran wrote:
>
> > Vince Lamb wrote:
> >
> > > She can see why the world of animation can be very seductive: "Like
> > > soap opera in the U.S. you feel very involved with the characters.
> > > Teenagers have committed suicide because their favorite characters
> > > were killed."
> >
> > Thankfully for Ethan, this didn't happen to Nuku Nuku. :-)
> >

> Nah, all they need to do is create a sequel to the old OVAs
> with Nuku^2 consumating a relationship with somebody. ^_^

DON'T GIVE HIM ANY IDEAS!!!!

TT

--
Anti-Bush shirts! Check it out!

"Bush & Cheney 2003 - For prison b*****" (censored version)
http://www.cafeshops.com/gwp00203

"Bush & Cheney 2003 - For prison b*****" (un-censored version [my post
is censored, that is all])
http://www.cafeshops.com/gwp00204

G.W. Bush - Iraqi War - "OH F--- WHAT NOW!?" (un-censored version [my
post is censored, that is all])
http://store.99dogs.com/gravitywellcom/eotd/?item=11553

G.W. Bush - Iraqi War - "OH ---- WHAT NOW!?" (censored version)
http://store.99dogs.com/gravitywellcom/eotd/?item=11875

"Bush Is A Loser" on US Flag with Bush the loser picture
http://store.99dogs.com/gravitywellcom/eotd/?item=11846

"Bush Is A Loser" on US Flag (no picture)
http://store.99dogs.com/gravitywellcom/eotd/?item=11857

"Bush Is A Loser" on white with Bush the loser picture
http://store.99dogs.com/gravitywellcom/eotd/?item=11859

"Bush Is A Loser" on white (no picture)
http://store.99dogs.com/gravitywellcom/eotd/?item=11854

AstroNerdBoy

Sep 30, 2003, 9:22:08 AM9/30/03

"Ethan Hammond" <esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> "Rob Kelk" <rob...@deadspam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > >Nah, all they need to do is create a sequel to the old OVAs
> > >with Nuku^2 consumating a relationship with somebody. ^_^
> >
> > "Nuku-Nuku, I want your body!"
> > "Oh, you're always saying that, Eimi-chan..."
>
> And then they did stuff at the bathhouse. *nods nods*

"A glass of water for Mr. Ethan!" He's getting pretty steamed up over
there. ;-)

Sceadu

Sep 30, 2003, 11:43:33 PM9/30/03
> > What sort of manga are published for adults? What gets imported to the U.S.
> > is almost entirely kid's stuff.

Not really. A number of "older" series are available here now, such as Akira, Ghost in
the Shell, Mugen no Juunin/Blade of the Immortal, Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita, Vagabond,
Nausicaa, Island, and now Trigun and Berserk. Try checking out the manga section at a
Borders and you'll see a lot of things. Adult fans of anime would find a lot to like in
the assortment that's published for the older teen/young adult demographic.

> Not quite...
> [snip]

I don't know if he necessarily meant "pornographic" by "for adults," although there's a
good chance that's what Japanese men would be reading. -_-; It might be good to note that
manga like Berserk push the envelope on what manga can contain and still _not_ be hentai.

Sceadu

Christopher Fiore

Oct 2, 2003, 2:20:57 PM10/2/03
"Sceadu" wrote:

> > > What sort of manga are published for adults? What gets imported to
the U.S.
> > > is almost entirely kid's stuff.
>
> Not really. A number of "older" series are available here now, such as
Akira, Ghost in
> the Shell, Mugen no Juunin/Blade of the Immortal, Gunnm/Battle Angel
Alita, Vagabond,
> Nausicaa, Island, and now Trigun and Berserk. Try checking out the manga
section at a
> Borders and you'll see a lot of things. Adult fans of anime would find a
lot to like in
> the assortment that's published for the older teen/young adult
demographic.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't specific enough in my question. What sort of manga
are published for an adult demographic in Japan? It can't all be sex manga.

Travers Naran

Oct 2, 2003, 6:11:05 PM10/2/03
"Christopher Fiore" <christop...@NOSPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<d0_eb.167077$3o3.12...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...

I thought that's what you were talking about. Most of them do have
explicitness in it (e.g., Dance until Tomorrow), but usually it's
still the kind of stories that an older teen could also read so it's
hard to separate them out. There are also Yakuza and crime stories.
I've read there are manga anthologies that target older women (18+),
and I have no idea what are in those.

Michael Lo

Oct 2, 2003, 7:43:17 PM10/2/03
"Christopher Fiore" <christop...@NOSPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<d0_eb.167077$3o3.12...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...

Niche-market comics such as comics for housewives, comics for
salarymen, comics for parents and etc. The subject matters are
about stuff that the people can relate (colicky baby, tyranical
bosses, unappreciative family etc. etc.)

Ping Kuo

Oct 3, 2003, 12:18:37 AM10/3/03
In article <884b7c04.03100...@posting.google.com>,
Iwillnev...@hotmail.com (Michael Lo) wrote:

> "Christopher Fiore" <christop...@NOSPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in
> message

> > Sorry, I guess I wasn't specific enough in my question. What sort of manga

> > are published for an adult demographic in Japan? It can't all be sex
> > manga.

> Niche-market comics such as comics for housewives, comics for
> salarymen, comics for parents and etc. The subject matters are
> about stuff that the people can relate (colicky baby, tyranical
> bosses, unappreciative family etc. etc.)

you forgot the two biggest one, majong and golf.

--
Ping Kuo
removeantispamtomailmeatpkuoearthlinknet

Travers Naran

Oct 3, 2003, 2:31:08 AM10/3/03
Ping Kuo wrote:

> In article <884b7c04.03100...@posting.google.com>,
> Iwillnev...@hotmail.com (Michael Lo) wrote:
>

>>"Christopher Fiore" <christop...@NOSPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in
>>message
>

>>>Sorry, I guess I wasn't specific enough in my question. What sort of manga
>>>are published for an adult demographic in Japan? It can't all be sex
>>>manga.
>

>>Niche-market comics such as comics for housewives, comics for
>>salarymen, comics for parents and etc. The subject matters are
>>about stuff that the people can relate (colicky baby, tyranical
>>bosses, unappreciative family etc. etc.)
>

> you forgot the two biggest one, majong and golf.

I consider the mah-jong manga an urban legend. I'd like to see a
scanlation of one of those things.

Travers Naran | Visit the SFTV Science Blunders
F/T Programmer,P/T Meddler In Time&Space | Hall of Infamy!
New Westminster, British Columbia, |
Canada, Earth, Milky Way, etc. | <www.geocities.com/naran500/>
"Stand Back! I'm a programmer!" |

AstroNerdBoy

Oct 3, 2003, 3:26:52 AM10/3/03
Iwillnev...@hotmail.com (Michael Lo) wrote in message news:<884b7c04.03100...@posting.google.com>...

That's similar to the comic strip field, though even more niche ones
have broader appeal. My mom loves "Baby Blues" and "For Better or For
Worse" and I bought her some of those books which she loved.

Ping Kuo

Oct 3, 2003, 4:04:45 AM10/3/03
In article <MI8fb.7529$%P2.4491@edtnps84>,
Travers Naran <tna...@direct.ca> wrote:

> Ping Kuo wrote:

> > you forgot the two biggest one, majong and golf.

> I consider the mah-jong manga an urban legend. I'd like to see a
> scanlation of one of those things.

http://www.tetsuya-tonpu.com/

Chris Kern

Oct 3, 2003, 6:13:06 AM10/3/03
On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 06:31:08 GMT, Travers Naran <tna...@direct.ca>
posted the following:

>Ping Kuo wrote:
>

>> you forgot the two biggest one, majong and golf.
>
>I consider the mah-jong manga an urban legend. I'd like to see a
>scanlation of one of those things.

You're basically calling Fredrick Schodt a liar and a fraud with that
statement (for mah-johng manga to be an urban legend, that means that
Schodt fabricated the images of the mah-johng manga which were printed
in Manga! Manga!, as well as making up the history of it).

There is absolutely no reason to believe that it's an urban legend. I
have not actually seen a mah-johng manga myself, but they do exist.

-Chris

Chris Kern

Oct 3, 2003, 6:14:24 AM10/3/03
On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 18:20:57 GMT, "Christopher Fiore"
<christop...@NOSPAMworldnet.att.net> posted the following:

>Sorry, I guess I wasn't specific enough in my question. What sort of manga
>are published for an adult demographic in Japan? It can't all be sex manga.

The Big Comic family is manga for adults -- things like Golgo 13,
Shooting Stars in the Night Sky (a manga about romance between
40-something people), Ron (WW2 historical manga), etc.

-Chris

Chris Kern

Oct 3, 2003, 6:16:33 AM10/3/03
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:38:19 GMT, Travers Naran <tna...@direct.ca>
posted the following:

>I've heard this before, in various forms, over the years. I always

>figured the Japanese fans knew it was being exported and thought no more
>of it than Americans do of American movies and TV being exported. But
>from a couple Japanese people I've talked to, they seem a little
>surprised anime & manga is getting so popular over on this side of the
>Pacific.
>
>Anybody "in situ" in Japan care to comment?

Yes, this is my experience -- whenever I tell people that things like
Pokemon, manga, anime, and such are popular in America, they are
surprised.

-Chris

John C. Watson

Oct 3, 2003, 6:42:59 AM10/3/03
On 10/03/2003 4:04, in article
removeantispampkuo-E...@news03.west.earthlink.net, "Ping
Kuo" <removeant...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> In article <MI8fb.7529$%P2.4491@edtnps84>,
> Travers Naran <tna...@direct.ca> wrote:
>
>> Ping Kuo wrote:
>
>>> you forgot the two biggest one, majong and golf.
>
>> I consider the mah-jong manga an urban legend. I'd like to see a
>> scanlation of one of those things.
>
> http://www.tetsuya-tonpu.com/

Also pages 77 (illustrations) and 106-110 of _Dreamland Japan: Writings on
Modern Manga_. Frederik Schodt. Stone Bridge Press, 1996. ISBN
188065623-X.

<http://www.jai2.com/DL.htm>

<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/188065623X/qid=1065176610/sr=
1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-7180757-5179242?v=glance&s=books>

Also:

<http://www.mahjong.or.jp/manga/manga.html>

<http://www.hirohurl.net/mahjong/mahjongbooks.html> (see side bar)

<http://www.pripix.com/captain/mahjong.htm>

Manga Magazines Guide

<http://users.skynet.be/mangaguide/magazines.html>

Captain Nerd

Oct 3, 2003, 9:55:31 AM10/3/03
In article <nuiqnvkbnrdlaudol...@4ax.com>,
Chris Kern <chris...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Has anyone licensed these to be translated? Or is anyone scanlating
them? I know about Golgo 13, I'm curious about Shooting Stars.
It'd be nice to read manga with characters my own age, for a change.

Cap.

--
"I am a citizen of the moment, I've built my white picket fence around
'the now', with a commanding view of 'the soon to be.' Does it really

Travers Naran

Oct 3, 2003, 11:41:32 AM10/3/03
Ping Kuo wrote:

> In article <MI8fb.7529$%P2.4491@edtnps84>,
> Travers Naran <tna...@direct.ca> wrote:
>

>>Ping Kuo wrote:
>

>>>you forgot the two biggest one, majong and golf.
>

>>I consider the mah-jong manga an urban legend. I'd like to see a
>>scanlation of one of those things.
>
> http://www.tetsuya-tonpu.com/

I like the dramatic confrontation they have on the front page. Who knew
mah-jong was so competitive? Thanks!

elsie

Oct 3, 2003, 4:51:47 PM10/3/03

"Captain Nerd" <cpt...@nerdwatch.com> wrote in message

> In article <nuiqnvkbnrdlaudol...@4ax.com>,
> Chris Kern <chris...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 18:20:57 GMT, "Christopher Fiore"
> > <christop...@NOSPAMworldnet.att.net> posted the following:
> >
> > >Sorry, I guess I wasn't specific enough in my question. What sort of
manga
> > >are published for an adult demographic in Japan? It can't all be sex
manga.

> > The Big Comic family is manga for adults -- things like Golgo 13,
> > Shooting Stars in the Night Sky (a manga about romance between
> > 40-something people), Ron (WW2 historical manga), etc.
> >
> > -Chris
>
> Has anyone licensed these to be translated? Or is anyone scanlating
> them? I know about Golgo 13, I'm curious about Shooting Stars.
> It'd be nice to read manga with characters my own age, for a change.
>
> Cap.

Yeah, that's the trouble with anime and manga that's over here. Anybody our
age is an annoying teacher or boss.

laurie

Captain Nerd

Oct 3, 2003, 7:27:08 PM10/3/03
In article <Djlfb.332$Qy2...@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"elsie" <lcub...@earthlink.net> wrote:

And a lot of the annoying older characters are *younger* than me!
*sigh*

Chris Kern

Oct 3, 2003, 8:27:26 PM10/3/03
On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 09:55:31 -0400, Captain Nerd
<cpt...@nerdwatch.com> posted the following:

>In article <nuiqnvkbnrdlaudol...@4ax.com>,
> Chris Kern <chris...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 18:20:57 GMT, "Christopher Fiore"
>> <christop...@NOSPAMworldnet.att.net> posted the following:
>>
>> >Sorry, I guess I wasn't specific enough in my question. What sort of manga
>> >are published for an adult demographic in Japan? It can't all be sex manga.
>>
>> The Big Comic family is manga for adults -- things like Golgo 13,
>> Shooting Stars in the Night Sky (a manga about romance between
>> 40-something people), Ron (WW2 historical manga), etc.
>>
>> -Chris
>
> Has anyone licensed these to be translated? Or is anyone scanlating
> them? I know about Golgo 13, I'm curious about Shooting Stars.
> It'd be nice to read manga with characters my own age, for a change.

I don't think so. Golgo 13 is something like 130 volumes, and I just
don't think those Big Comic manga are popular enough for people to do
even scanlations of them.

20th Century Boys is a pretty good manga intended for adults that does
have some scanlations for it (it runs in Big Comic Spirits).

-Chris

Michael Lo

Oct 3, 2003, 10:42:29 PM10/3/03
"elsie" <lcub...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<Djlfb.332$Qy2...@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net>...

The thing is the NA market is aimed at kids to twenty-something market and
hasn't quite worked it's way to doing the niche work. Still it might in the
near future, shoujo has broken out in a big way and with it's bringing in
yaoi and shounen-ai titles like Boku No Sexual Harassment and Gravitation.
As well there's starting to be more translated Japanese novels that aren't
about geishas or trendy Tokyoites from writers named after fruit-I hear
Ringu and Battle Royale are available as well as that fantasy series
that's aiming for over 100 books.

Uiler

Oct 3, 2003, 11:59:14 PM10/3/03
Michael Lo wrote:

>> Yeah, that's the trouble with anime and manga that's over here. Anybody
>> our age is an annoying teacher or boss.
>>
>> laurie
>
> The thing is the NA market is aimed at kids to twenty-something market and
> hasn't quite worked it's way to doing the niche work. Still it might in
> the near future, shoujo has broken out in a big way and with it's bringing
> in yaoi and shounen-ai titles like Boku No Sexual Harassment and
> Gravitation.

Yaoi and shonen-ai titles like Boku no Sexual Harassment and Gravitation are
also aimed at the teenage to twenty-something market. According to
demographic info from publishers like Biblos, readers range from upper
grade school (10 years old) up to grandmas. The most common age group is
in the upper teens though this depends on the magazine with some having
their largest audiences in the early twenties. In the junior high school
to 20s age group about 15% of (female I presume) manga readers read Boy's
Love (BL), though it tends to be a "hidden hobby" and many older Japanese
don't even know the category exists. Though of course elements are popular
in mainstream shoujo. In fact these elements are so mainstream that I've
heard that Japanese readers don't even think of them as weird anymore. So
we may blink at the "fanservice" but the Japanese just shrug their
shoulders like it's a Japanese character with blue hair...

I guess this explains why the old "two schoolboys meet and fall in love" has
to be the most cliched over-used setting in BL...

Uiler

Rose Prescott

Oct 4, 2003, 6:00:23 AM10/4/03
<lcub...@earthlink.net> writes:

>Yeah, that's the trouble with anime and manga that's over here. Anybody our
>age is an annoying teacher or boss.

I'd love to do some cosplay, but there simply are no oversize sixtyish women
worth doing. (Let me know if there are - I'll hunt them down and scrutinize
them.) A Sailor Senshi I am NOT. If there were some female equivalent of
Katsuhito, I might pull it off.

Rose
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Captain Nerd

Oct 4, 2003, 11:16:02 AM10/4/03
In article <nt4snvs19s4fl81qf...@4ax.com>,
Chris Kern <chris...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 09:55:31 -0400, Captain Nerd
> <cpt...@nerdwatch.com> posted the following:
>
> >In article <nuiqnvkbnrdlaudol...@4ax.com>,
> > Chris Kern <chris...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 18:20:57 GMT, "Christopher Fiore"
> >> <christop...@NOSPAMworldnet.att.net> posted the following:

> >> The Big Comic family is manga for adults -- things like Golgo 13,
> >> Shooting Stars in the Night Sky (a manga about romance between
> >> 40-something people), Ron (WW2 historical manga), etc.
> >>
> >> -Chris
> >
> > Has anyone licensed these to be translated? Or is anyone scanlating
> > them? I know about Golgo 13, I'm curious about Shooting Stars.
> > It'd be nice to read manga with characters my own age, for a change.
>
> I don't think so. Golgo 13 is something like 130 volumes, and I just
> don't think those Big Comic manga are popular enough for people to do
> even scanlations of them.
>
> 20th Century Boys is a pretty good manga intended for adults that does
> have some scanlations for it (it runs in Big Comic Spirits).
>
> -Chris

I read the first chapter of 20thCB, and it looks okay. I need
to see more of the story, in my next batch of downloads.

Captain Nerd

Oct 4, 2003, 11:27:54 AM10/4/03
In article <20031004060023...@mb-m04.aol.com>,
rose...@aol.comnospam (Rose Prescott) wrote:

Heh. I was at Otakon 2003, my first "big" con, and I believe there
were maybe 5 or 10 people my age or older, who weren't obviously
parents. About the only character I could realisticly pull off
might be Dastun from Big O. I'd have to dye the gray out of my
hair and beard, but it might work.

That's it for me, though.

elsie

Oct 4, 2003, 12:43:30 PM10/4/03

> In article <20031004060023...@mb-m04.aol.com>,
> rose...@aol.comnospam (Rose Prescott) wrote:
>
> > In article <Djlfb.332$Qy2...@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net>, "elsie"
> > <lcub...@earthlink.net> writes:
> >
> > >Yeah, that's the trouble with anime and manga that's over here. Anybody
our
> > >age is an annoying teacher or boss.
> >
> > I'd love to do some cosplay, but there simply are no oversize sixtyish
women
> > worth doing. (Let me know if there are - I'll hunt them down and
scrutinize
> > them.) A Sailor Senshi I am NOT. If there were some female equivalent of
> > Katsuhito, I might pull it off.
> >
> > Rose
> > Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Rose,

Hmm, if you're thinking oversize, 60ish, I'd suggest Kaede from InuYasha.
Her outfit is a pretty simple miko outfit, and she's the most sensible
character in the show.

laurie

Rose Prescott

Oct 4, 2003, 8:54:45 PM10/4/03
In article <SMCfb.1376$Qy2...@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net>, "elsie"
<lcub...@earthlink.net> writes:

>Rose,
>
>Hmm, if you're thinking oversize, 60ish, I'd suggest Kaede from InuYasha.
>Her outfit is a pretty simple miko outfit, and she's the most sensible
>character in the show.
>
>laurie

That might not be a bad idea. It'd be fun to cosplay somebody OLDER than me.
Thanks!

elsie

Oct 5, 2003, 12:10:57 AM10/5/03

"Rose Prescott" <rose...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

I've yet to figure out someone in the 35-40, somewhat plump range for
myself. For awhile there I thought Annie from Cowboy Bebop would be my only
hope.

laurie

Vince Lamb

Oct 6, 2003, 1:37:28 AM10/6/03
"elsie" <lcub...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<lRMfb.2211$Qy2....@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net>...

> "Rose Prescott" <rose...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
> > In article <SMCfb.1376$Qy2...@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net>, "elsie"
> > <lcub...@earthlink.net> writes:
> >
> > >Rose,
> > >
> > >Hmm, if you're thinking oversize, 60ish, I'd suggest Kaede from InuYasha.
> > >Her outfit is a pretty simple miko outfit, and she's the most sensible
> > >character in the show.
> > >
> > >laurie
> >
> > That might not be a bad idea. It'd be fun to cosplay somebody OLDER than
> me.
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Rose
> >
> > Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

What about the female bandit leader from "Castle in the Sky"?

> I've yet to figure out someone in the 35-40, somewhat plump range for
> myself. For awhile there I thought Annie from Cowboy Bebop would be my only
> hope.

*Scratches head* Maybe one of the moms from "Magic Users Club"? One
of the female foundry workers from "Princess Mononoke"? I'm trying to
think of a memorable teacher, but I'm not coming up with one, sorry.

As for me, I'm in the same boat. The best I could come up with is
Genma Saotome, as a human (I don't feel like wandering around in a
panda suit). Then my daughter could dress up as girl-type Ranma! The
other alternative would be making a metal arm cover and going as Jet
Black, with my daughter as Edward. Tenchi's dad would probably be too
ordinary.

> laurie

Vince "Professor Plum" Lamb
"Washuu has crabs!"

Rose Prescott

Oct 6, 2003, 12:12:29 PM10/6/03
In article <586abfa1.03100...@posting.google.com>,
gram...@hotmail.com (Vince Lamb) writes:

That'd be an interesting project: a listing of characters by body type and age,
for the desperate cosplayer who doesn't want to do yet another overweight
Sailor Moon. Life is easy for the kawaii or bishounen cosplayer, but what about
the rest of us? I've not seen "Castle in the Sky", but at least now I know to
look it up for another possible cosplay.

Rose
Kasumi eats Tofu.

John C. Watson

Oct 6, 2003, 5:23:48 PM10/6/03
On 10/06/2003 12:12, in article
20031006121229...@mb-m14.aol.com, "Rose Prescott"
<rose...@aol.comnospam> wrote:

> In article <586abfa1.03100...@posting.google.com>,
> gram...@hotmail.com (Vince Lamb) writes:
>
>> "elsie" <lcub...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

>> What about the female bandit leader from "Castle in the Sky"?

>>> I've yet to figure out someone in the 35-40, somewhat plump range for
>>> myself. For awhile there I thought Annie from Cowboy Bebop would be my only
>>> hope.

> That'd be an interesting project: a listing of characters by body type and
> age, for the desperate cosplayer who doesn't want to do yet another overweight
> Sailor Moon. Life is easy for the kawaii or bishounen cosplayer, but what
> about the rest of us? I've not seen "Castle in the Sky", but at least now I
> know to look it up for another possible cosplay.

Her name is Captain Dola, AKA Mama (as she is the mother of three sons, who
are in her crew. Here's a decent image of her:

<http://members.fortunecity.com/wndrkn/laputa.html>

--
Ciao,
John

John C. Watson
World Otakunization Project, Amherst Division

Please note the change of my E-mail address.

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Oct 6, 2003, 7:28:11 PM10/6/03
On Mon, 5 Oct 2003, Vince Lamb wrote:

> "elsie" <lcub...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<lRMfb.2211$Qy2....@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
>

> > I've yet to figure out someone in the 35-40, somewhat plump range for
> > myself. For awhile there I thought Annie from Cowboy Bebop would be my only
> > hope.
>
> *Scratches head* Maybe one of the moms from "Magic Users Club"? One
> of the female foundry workers from "Princess Mononoke"? I'm trying to
> think of a memorable teacher, but I'm not coming up with one, sorry.
>
> As for me, I'm in the same boat. The best I could come up with is
> Genma Saotome, as a human (I don't feel like wandering around in a
> panda suit). Then my daughter could dress up as girl-type Ranma! The
> other alternative would be making a metal arm cover and going as Jet
> Black, with my daughter as Edward. Tenchi's dad would probably be too
> ordinary.

Go with Jet and Ed.
Lest you invite some to pinch your daughter's chest
just to make sure she's really girl-type Ranma....

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
/ _ | |/ Stanlee Dometita sta...@cif.rochester.edu
| ( _| | U of Rochester cif.rochester.edu/~stanlee
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

Rob Kelk

Oct 6, 2003, 8:30:40 PM10/6/03
Replying to two posts at once...

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 19:28:11 -0400, "S.t.A.n.L.e.E"
<sta...@cif.rochester.edu> wrote:

>On Mon, 5 Oct 2003, Vince Lamb wrote:
>
>> "elsie" <lcub...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<lRMfb.2211$Qy2....@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
>>
>> > I've yet to figure out someone in the 35-40, somewhat plump range for
>> > myself. For awhile there I thought Annie from Cowboy Bebop would be my only
>> > hope.
>>
>> *Scratches head* Maybe one of the moms from "Magic Users Club"?

None of the moms in "Magic Users Club" are plump. (One of them's so
sexy that they had an outtake where the *females* were saying "MILF!
MILF!" The others are attractive, too...)

>> One
>> of the female foundry workers from "Princess Mononoke"? I'm trying to
>> think of a memorable teacher, but I'm not coming up with one, sorry.

You can't think of a memorable teacher? Not knowing the requirements
(since I didn't see the earlier posts in this thread), I can only hope
making a list of appropriate anime will help:
* "Please Teacher" (that one's obvious)
* "Project A-ko"
* "Ranma 1/2" (if she can manage the Ms. Hinako look, which isn't
as easy as it seems)
* "Sailor Moon" (original series, no letter)

>> As for me, I'm in the same boat. The best I could come up with is
>> Genma Saotome, as a human (I don't feel like wandering around in a
>> panda suit). Then my daughter could dress up as girl-type Ranma! The
>> other alternative would be making a metal arm cover and going as Jet
>> Black, with my daughter as Edward. Tenchi's dad would probably be too
>> ordinary.

Ordinary is good...

>Go with Jet and Ed.
>Lest you invite some to pinch your daughter's chest
>just to make sure she's really girl-type Ranma....

So, if you *were* to try that, which of the two people do you expect
would hit you first?

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> robkelk -at- jksrv -dot- com
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)
"When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of
childishness and the desire to be very grown-up." - C.S. Lewis, 1947

whatever7

Oct 7, 2003, 1:13:44 AM10/7/03
"Christopher Fiore" <christop...@NOSPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<zD_db.163358$3o3.11...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
> Andrew Lam> On a crowded train in Tokyo recently, I counted 16 adults in one
> Andrew Lam> compartment alone reading mangas--Japanese comic books.

> What sort of manga are published for adults? What gets imported to the U.S.
> is almost entirely kid's stuff.

Ok I type a freaking long post and google lost it, but here is one:

http://www.marubeni-direct.co.jp/asp/tana_list.asp?CATE8=3&CATE9=4

(I have no idea what the English title is.)

Vince Lamb

Oct 7, 2003, 2:09:17 AM10/7/03
rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote in message news:<3f82075c...@News.Individual.NET>...

> Replying to two posts at once...
>
> On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 19:28:11 -0400, "S.t.A.n.L.e.E"
> <sta...@cif.rochester.edu> wrote:

> >> *Scratches head* Maybe one of the moms from "Magic Users Club"?
>
> None of the moms in "Magic Users Club" are plump. (One of them's so
> sexy that they had an outtake where the *females* were saying "MILF!
> MILF!" The others are attractive, too...)

Oh, yeah, I think I even posted about that one in the "MILFs in anime"
thread a few months ago.

> >> One
> >> of the female foundry workers from "Princess Mononoke"? I'm trying to
> >> think of a memorable teacher, but I'm not coming up with one, sorry.
>
> You can't think of a memorable teacher? Not knowing the requirements
> (since I didn't see the earlier posts in this thread),

All you had to do was read Laurie/Elsie's comments at the top of
*this* post.

> I can only hope
> making a list of appropriate anime will help:
> * "Please Teacher" (that one's obvious)

Um, no. Too young (at least as far as she'd appear to a human). Now,
her *mom* is another matter. The entire family gives off "Urd,
Belldandy, Skuld" vibes, with mom as Urd, the female lead as
Belldandy, and the younger sister as Skuld. BTW, one can be a touch
hefty and pull off Urd. You don't even have to be a woman. A *guy*
crossplayed Urd at C-Kon and won the cosplay contest!

http://www.fansview.com/2003/ckon/ckcosp.htm
http://www.fansview.com/2003/ckon/ck04b0004.html

> * "Project A-ko"

Don't know.

> * "Ranma 1/2" (if she can manage the Ms. Hinako look, which isn't
> as easy as it seems)

How about Ranma's mom?

> * "Sailor Moon" (original series, no letter)

Have to see that one.

> >> As for me, I'm in the same boat. The best I could come up with is
> >> Genma Saotome, as a human (I don't feel like wandering around in a
> >> panda suit). Then my daughter could dress up as girl-type Ranma! The
> >> other alternative would be making a metal arm cover and going as Jet
> >> Black, with my daughter as Edward. Tenchi's dad would probably be too
> >> ordinary.
>
> Ordinary is good...

Yeah, Kirika from "Noir" is ordinary. She needs to be next to either
Chloe or Mirielle to be recognized.

http://www.fansview.com/2003/ckon/ck04b0009.html

> >Go with Jet and Ed.
> >Lest you invite some to pinch your daughter's chest
> >just to make sure she's really girl-type Ranma....
>
> So, if you *were* to try that, which of the two people do you expect
> would hit you first?

My daughter would flatten the f00!

Rose Prescott

Oct 7, 2003, 7:58:01 AM10/7/03
In article <BBA755A2.20F0F%jwat...@comcast.net>, "John C. Watson"
<jwat...@comcast.net> writes:

>Her name is Captain Dola, AKA Mama (as she is the mother of three sons, who
>are in her crew. Here's a decent image of her:
>
> <http://members.fortunecity.com/wndrkn/laputa.html>

*Shudder* I think I will go with Kaede. I still have twenty years to go before
I can do it accurately, but that's no problem ....

Rose
Kasumi eats Tofu.

tito

Oct 8, 2003, 2:37:56 AM10/8/03
<snip>

>> I can only hope
>> making a list of appropriate anime will help:
>> * "Please Teacher" (that one's obvious)
>
>Um, no. Too young (at least as far as she'd appear to a human). Now,
>her *mom* is another matter. The entire family gives off "Urd,
>Belldandy, Skuld" vibes, with mom as Urd, the female lead as
>Belldandy, and the younger sister as Skuld.

Irony being Mizuho and Bell have the same voice actor.

How old IS Hatsuko(?)-mama anyway? Assuming Mizuho's age and a quick
pregancy at 18, that's still nearly 40. :D

>BTW, one can be a touch
>hefty and pull off Urd. You don't even have to be a woman. A *guy*
>crossplayed Urd at C-Kon and won the cosplay contest!

This isn't too hard to believe, esp. if you pull one of Urd's more
flamboyant outfits. (Wow, I remember when an Urd outfit was considered
very fanservicey. Times have changed...)