[FLUFF] Omake challenge time...

Bill Martin

Oct 31, 2008, 5:10:32 PM10/31/08
Okay, basic 3 anime character teams allowed, standard character rules
apply here (i.e. NO BANNED CHARACTERS!)

During some experiments with the master device, I summoned Mirror-Lina
and Mirror-Naga and the mirror itself as a third character/item in an
attempt to see if summoning items would take up a slot for the upcoming
New Year's Challenge. It did, which prevented me from summoning of the
random civilians from that particular OAV story. My one regret is that
I didn't unsummon the item and put my device in lockdown mode. After I
left and went clothes shopping with the two ladies to find them outfits
they felt comfortable in, my Challenge Lab video recorded a visitor,
one who stepped out of a grandfather clock that appeared in my lab all
of the sudden. The audio recorders picked up the following:

"Oh my, the havoc I could wreak with this device. Finally, I could
once-and-for-all end that pitiful rival of mine, The Doctor... wait,
no, that would only birth The Valeyard, I bet. Something more
sinister, more devious, more... masterful... heh-heh. But first, a
distraction for this poor fellow should he return too early..."

Upon my return after the shopping trip and dinner (the mirror ladies
had the appetite of the regulars, so I was gone a while), I saw what
had happened, and immediately unsummoned the mirror wherever it was,
however I had not stopped the devious Gallifreyan from causing some
chaos. Just like in the OAV, getting rid of the mirror did not get rid
of the mirrored people. This time, The Master has let loose 3
individuals in your city, mirror-Chuck Norris, mirror-Bruce Lee, and
mirror Mahatma Gandhi. You and your team are to deal with the mirror
rampagers, my hands are full with Mirror-Lina and Mirror-Naga.

Deadline will be the end of November when I post the NYC official entry info.

Rob Kelk

Oct 31, 2008, 8:12:56 PM10/31/08
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:10:32 -0500, Bill Martin
<bill_r...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Okay, basic 3 anime character teams allowed, standard character rules
>apply here (i.e. NO BANNED CHARACTERS!)

Is a manga character okay, or is it anime characters only this time?
(It makes a difference for Team Lovely But Dangerous... or their
stand-ins.)

<snip>

>Upon my return after the shopping trip and dinner (the mirror ladies
>had the appetite of the regulars, so I was gone a while), I saw what
>had happened, and immediately unsummoned the mirror wherever it was,
>however I had not stopped the devious Gallifreyan from causing some
>chaos. Just like in the OAV, getting rid of the mirror did not get rid
>of the mirrored people. This time, The Master has let loose 3
>individuals in your city, mirror-Chuck Norris, mirror-Bruce Lee, and
>mirror Mahatma Gandhi. You and your team are to deal with the mirror
>rampagers, my hands are full with Mirror-Lina and Mirror-Naga.

Oh. Dear. Belldandy. As Epsilon has pointed out to me, we are *so*
screwed.

http://gregpogor.deviantart.com/art/Snake-Gandhi-37809941

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

RLP

Oct 31, 2008, 9:14:53 PM10/31/08
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:10:32 -0500, Bill Martin
<bill_r...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Mirror Mahatma Ghandi? I'm heading back to the home planet for a few
decades.

_______________________________
Anyone who thinks evil mutants
are only in comic books hasn't
raised any children.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Nov 1, 2008, 12:08:47 AM11/1/08
RLP wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:10:32 -0500, Bill Martin
This time, The Master has let loose 3
>> individuals in your city, mirror-Chuck Norris, mirror-Bruce Lee, and
>> mirror Mahatma Gandhi. You and your team are to deal with the mirror
>> rampagers, my hands are full with Mirror-Lina and Mirror-Naga.
>>
>> Deadline will be the end of November when I post the NYC official entry info.
>
> Mirror Mahatma Ghandi? I'm heading back to the home planet for a few
> decades.

What sort of challenge is THIS supposed to be? If they're true mirrors,
then you've got one weaselly wuss-boy in place of the straight-shooting
karate expert, a wimpy sarariman in place of the Master of Tae Kwan Do,
and a warmongering looneytune in place of the man of peace.

If it's mirror as in "just their attitudes and they have beards"
(mirror Spock), it's STILL no challenge. Norris and Lee together
couldn't take on even the average anime martial artist without a long,
long montage training sequence, and all Mirror-Ghandi has going for him
is charisma, which might not work so well in the rabblerousing. Ed Elric
takes all three down without more than a yawn. BULMA would take them all
down.

Now, if the Master is still around, THAT could be a challenge.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Aje RavenStar

Nov 1, 2008, 10:20:45 AM11/1/08

"Bill Martin" <bill_r...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Oy. I never could get into the Slayers series, so don't know enough about
that storyline to come up with anything. Given the circumstances -
mirror-Chuck Norris, mirror-Bruce Lee, and mirror-Gandhi in my city thanks
to The Master - my response would be to resummon the mirror, summon
mirror-4th Doctor (a muscle bound airhead), mirror-Leela (the brains of the
pair), and mirror-Its Man (Monty Python), assign mirror-Doctor to handle
mirror-Gandhi, mirror-Leela to deal with mirror-Bruce, and mirror-Its Man to
confuse mirror-Chuck till he falls asleep and can be set back where he
belongs; taking a long nap and contemplating my beginning the holiday season
solidly on the 'Fail' list.

Bill Martin

Nov 1, 2008, 4:40:07 PM11/1/08
On 2008-10-31 19:12:56 -0500, rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) said:

> On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:10:32 -0500, Bill Martin
> <bill_r...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Okay, basic 3 anime character teams allowed, standard character rules
>> apply here (i.e. NO BANNED CHARACTERS!)
>
> Is a manga character okay, or is it anime characters only this time?
> (It makes a difference for Team Lovely But Dangerous... or their
> stand-ins.)
>
> <snip>

Sorry, yeah, manga characters are okay.

Bill Martin

Nov 1, 2008, 4:50:30 PM11/1/08
On 2008-10-31 23:08:47 -0500, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> said:

> RLP wrote:
>> On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:10:32 -0500, Bill Martin
> This time, The Master has let loose 3
>>> individuals in your city, mirror-Chuck Norris, mirror-Bruce Lee, and
>>> mirror Mahatma Gandhi. You and your team are to deal with the mirror
>>> rampagers, my hands are full with Mirror-Lina and Mirror-Naga.
>>>
>>> Deadline will be the end of November when I post the NYC official entry info.
>>
>> Mirror Mahatma Ghandi? I'm heading back to the home planet for a few
>> decades.
>
> What sort of challenge is THIS supposed to be? If they're true
> mirrors, then you've got one weaselly wuss-boy in place of the
> straight-shooting karate expert, a wimpy sarariman in place of the
> Master of Tae Kwan Do, and a warmongering looneytune in place of the
> man of peace.

Actually, it goes from cool, calm, collected, TV & movie star who's
basically only into self defense into the guy who most of the
Chuck-memes are about. Your city is now a Chuck-tatorship. A
straight-shooting Jeet Kun Do artist who's the master of "Fighting
without fighting" becomes a sneaky, arrogant, villanous guy who' would
have taken David Carradine's life for stealing the role he created for
Kung Fu. The man who was a face of passive resistance and went on
hunger strikes is now a gluttonous, musclebound Indian who doesn't mind
fighting dirty.

> If it's mirror as in "just their attitudes and they have beards"
> (mirror Spock), it's STILL no challenge. Norris and Lee together
> couldn't take on even the average anime martial artist without a long,
> long montage training sequence, and all Mirror-Ghandi has going for him
> is charisma, which might not work so well in the rabblerousing. Ed
> Elric takes all three down without more than a yawn. BULMA would take
> them all down.
>
> Now, if the Master is still around, THAT could be a challenge.

It's just omake challenge, it doesn't matter if you want to include him
or not. Maybe he would like to see the havoc up close...

Bill Martin

Nov 1, 2008, 4:53:37 PM11/1/08

Too bad your choices are not legal ones, otherwise it might be
interesting, especially since mirror-4th would probably be the perfect
Valeyard, just enough good to think he can be redeemed, but still evil
enough to steal regenerations...

Aje RavenStar

Nov 1, 2008, 7:11:36 PM11/1/08

"Bill Martin" <bill_r...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Hmmm. Had to research some of that, but could be, could be.

Was thinking of you a few weeks ago anyway, just found the note. Was going
to suggest something evil - making an AMV using the Enoz concert scene from
Haruhi with any version of 'Killing Me Softly (With His Song)'. The
expression on Kyon's face at the start and during that sequence.........

Rob Kelk

Nov 1, 2008, 7:36:58 PM11/1/08
On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 15:40:07 -0500, Bill Martin
<bill_r...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 2008-10-31 19:12:56 -0500, rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) said:
>
>> On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:10:32 -0500, Bill Martin
>> <bill_r...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Okay, basic 3 anime character teams allowed, standard character rules
>>> apply here (i.e. NO BANNED CHARACTERS!)
>>
>> Is a manga character okay, or is it anime characters only this time?
>> (It makes a difference for Team Lovely But Dangerous... or their
>> stand-ins.)
>>
>> <snip>
>
>Sorry, yeah, manga characters are okay.

I've decided to go with stand-ins anyway - Team Dangerous But Lovely.
(Same three series, different three characters...)

<snip>

Bill Martin

Nov 1, 2008, 9:03:57 PM11/1/08

Dang it, I really need to see Haruhi, being poor is no fun...

Rob Kelk

Nov 1, 2008, 9:29:45 PM11/1/08
On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 20:03:57 -0500, Bill Martin
<bill_r...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 2008-11-01 18:11:36 -0500, "Aje RavenStar" <whine...@comcast.net> said:
>

>> "Bill Martin" <bill_r...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

<snip>

>> Was thinking of you a few weeks ago anyway, just found the note. Was going
>> to suggest something evil - making an AMV using the Enoz concert scene from
>> Haruhi with any version of 'Killing Me Softly (With His Song)'. The
>> expression on Kyon's face at the start and during that sequence.........
>
>Dang it, I really need to see Haruhi, being poor is no fun...

No anime clubs in your part of the world, Bill?

(Yes, there's a reason I left the "No Banned Characters" reminder in
when we're talking about Haruhi...)

Bill Martin

Nov 2, 2008, 2:06:49 PM11/2/08
On 2008-11-01 20:29:45 -0500, rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) said:

> On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 20:03:57 -0500, Bill Martin
> <bill_r...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2008-11-01 18:11:36 -0500, "Aje RavenStar" <whine...@comcast.net> said:
>>

>>> "Bill Martin" <bill_r...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> <snip>
>
>>> Was thinking of you a few weeks ago anyway, just found the note. Was going
>>> to suggest something evil - making an AMV using the Enoz concert scene from
>>> Haruhi with any version of 'Killing Me Softly (With His Song)'. The
>>> expression on Kyon's face at the start and during that sequence.........
>>
>> Dang it, I really need to see Haruhi, being poor is no fun...
>
> No anime clubs in your part of the world, Bill?
>
> (Yes, there's a reason I left the "No Banned Characters" reminder in
> when we're talking about Haruhi...)

None that I know of. Sure, there's a group that put on a con past few
years in Wichita, but that's an hour away by car. Most of the people
in town that I know are into anime are in awe of MY collection. Shoot,
only one store in town has more of an anime collection, sales AND
rental combined, than me. I'm a bit of an island. If there's any
Kansas anime fans lurking here, I wouldn't mind an e-mail to see if
there are any I could get into a semi-regular contact with.

dot_wa...@hotmail.com

Nov 4, 2008, 11:01:36 AM11/4/08
>This time, The Master has let loose 3
> individuals in your city, mirror-Chuck Norris, mirror-Bruce Lee, and
> mirror Mahatma Gandhi.  You and your team are to deal with the mirror
> rampagers, my hands are full with Mirror-Lina and Mirror-Naga.

Copypasta-ing from my last New Years Challenge, because I'm not
feeling creative enough to come up with new teams (and really, I don't
think I can top myself with the ones I did get together). And I'm
also assuming that the mirror went a full reversal, and the natural
charisma of the three original characters got flipped to Villains With
the Worst Publicity Ever, because otherwise I, for one, would welcome
our new mirror overlords regardless of which team I play with.

> Easy - Team Manly Pink
> *Dan Hibiki, Street Fighter series, Marvel versus Capcom 2
> *Kirby, Nintendo, Super Smash Bros. Melee
> *Luigi, Nintendo, Luigi's Mansion (equipment: flashlight, Poltergust
> 3000, Game Boy Horror)

I'm going to do my damndest to turn the mirror clones against each
other, say, by starting a fight over who gets the final say, or what
the new nation is going to be called, and then send Team Manly Pink in
for cleanup. (Kirby, as usual, has to pull most of the load here, and
Luigi is all but useless.)

> Medium - Team Unfair Advantage
> *Seta Soujirou, Rurouni Kenshin, post Kyoto
> *Snake, Metal Gear Series, post Sons of Liberty (equipment: tranq gun,
> cardboard box, cigarettes)
> *Zhuge Liang, styled Kongming, Dynasty Warriors series, circa Battle
> of Chi Bi (starting stats and weapon, no extra equipment)

Snake versus Chuck Norris. Oh, dear.

If we don't accidentally paradox the world out of existence with the
sheer amount of awesome this generates, Team Unfair Advantage once
again lives up to its name. Ah, the advantages of having a genius
strategist, a speedster, and a jack-of-all-trades on your team...

> Hard - Team Pyrrhic Victory
> *Alexander Anderson, Hellsing, post anime debut
> *Legato Bluesummers, Trigun, right before he snuffs it in the anime
> *Xelloss, Slayers Try, post series

We save the world, all right. It's a giant smoking crater afterwards,
but minimizing collateral damage wasn't one of the mission
objectives. Not even Mirror Chuck can out-evil anybody on this team.

-"Dot"

Bill Martin

Nov 8, 2008, 9:29:12 AM11/8/08
On 2008-11-04 10:01:36 -0600, "dot_wa...@hotmail.com"
<dot_wa...@hotmail.com> said:

>> This time, The Master has let loose 3
>> individuals in your city, mirror-Chuck Norris, mirror-Bruce Lee, and
>> mirror Mahatma Gandhi.  You and your team are to deal with the mirror
>> rampagers, my hands are full with Mirror-Lina and Mirror-Naga.
>
> Copypasta-ing from my last New Years Challenge, because I'm not
> feeling creative enough to come up with new teams (and really, I don't
> think I can top myself with the ones I did get together). And I'm
> also assuming that the mirror went a full reversal, and the natural
> charisma of the three original characters got flipped to Villains With
> the Worst Publicity Ever, because otherwise I, for one, would welcome
> our new mirror overlords regardless of which team I play with.

Heh...

>> Easy - Team Manly Pink
>> *Dan Hibiki, Street Fighter series, Marvel versus Capcom 2
>> *Kirby, Nintendo, Super Smash Bros. Melee
>> *Luigi, Nintendo, Luigi's Mansion (equipment: flashlight, Poltergust
>> 3000, Game Boy Horror)
>
> I'm going to do my damndest to turn the mirror clones against each
> other, say, by starting a fight over who gets the final say, or what
> the new nation is going to be called, and then send Team Manly Pink in
> for cleanup. (Kirby, as usual, has to pull most of the load here, and
> Luigi is all but useless.)

Kirby is the only thing that saves this team. Pass.

>> Medium - Team Unfair Advantage
>> *Seta Soujirou, Rurouni Kenshin, post Kyoto
>> *Snake, Metal Gear Series, post Sons of Liberty (equipment: tranq gun,
>> cardboard box, cigarettes)
>> *Zhuge Liang, styled Kongming, Dynasty Warriors series, circa Battle
>> of Chi Bi (starting stats and weapon, no extra equipment)
>
> Snake versus Chuck Norris. Oh, dear.
>
> If we don't accidentally paradox the world out of existence with the
> sheer amount of awesome this generates, Team Unfair Advantage once
> again lives up to its name. Ah, the advantages of having a genius
> strategist, a speedster, and a jack-of-all-trades on your team...

After much thought, yeah, pass.

>> Hard - Team Pyrrhic Victory
>> *Alexander Anderson, Hellsing, post anime debut
>> *Legato Bluesummers, Trigun, right before he snuffs it in the anime
>> *Xelloss, Slayers Try, post series
>
> We save the world, all right. It's a giant smoking crater afterwards,
> but minimizing collateral damage wasn't one of the mission
> objectives. Not even Mirror Chuck can out-evil anybody on this team.

Oh, he can out-evil, but he can't stand up to their powers, pass, since
the team lived up to their name.