[NOISE] Doujinshi is not possible in America?

1 view

Peter Choi

May 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/28/97

It is illegal to draw a fancomic of your favorite comicbook hero(Maybe
there's no one. -_-;), right? You can't make a parody comic of any
comicbook or anime character in US, right?

Well, I never saw any fan-comic of American comics. Even a parody. i
saw only some fan-fiction but no fan-manga or comic. Well, maybe i have
to quote that infamous 'I heard'... but, yeah, actually I heard that an
American anime fan drew a fan-manga of an anime and brought it to a
convention and he was sued by a company which imported that anime...

Is it REALLY true? Why do they have to be sturbbon to fan activity? :(
--

-=UDIC=-
Evangelion "The saddest" Dragon

**********************
DIE OMID KHEILTASH DIE
FILTHY PERSIAN WHORE
BURN IN HELL
DIE OMID KHEILTASH DIE
FUCK THAT DANNY PAGE
**********************

You know why people invented laugher? Because they live in misery.
Anger is like a big old piece of leather which wraps me around so
comfortably.

My exact portrait.

David Crowe

May 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/28/97

Peter Choi <ge...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
: It is illegal to draw a fancomic of your favorite comicbook hero(Maybe

: there's no one. -_-;), right? You can't make a parody comic of any
: comicbook or anime character in US, right?

: Well, I never saw any fan-comic of American comics. Even a parody. i
: saw only some fan-fiction but no fan-manga or comic. Well, maybe i have
: to quote that infamous 'I heard'... but, yeah, actually I heard that an
: American anime fan drew a fan-manga of an anime and brought it to a
: convention and he was sued by a company which imported that anime...

: Is it REALLY true? Why do they have to be sturbbon to fan activity? :(

The law is a little different in Japan vis a vis protecting your
copyrights. In the US, companies have to go after anyone that infringes
on them or run the risk of losing their rights. If you let a little thing
slide by, that can be used as a defense by a big offender that you take to
court. There is a less stringent standard in Japan, so fanzines are much
easier to do. Read Fred Schott's _Dreamland Japan_ for a more
comprehensive explanation.

Another reason is geography. Japan is a small country with a high
population density. Hence, it would be much easier to get a fanzine out
to a lot of people with comparatively little effort. It would be much
harder to do in the US. Comic Market (a dojinshi con) tops 100,000 fans,
right? The San Diego Comic Con (largest in the US) is barely hitting
40,000.

That reminds me: Is there prose fanfic in Japan or does everone do
comic-format dojinshi?

--
David "No Nickname" Crowe You only read the manual when there's
http://www.primenet.com/~jetman something you can't figure out.

Ronald Spillman

May 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/29/97

Peter Choi (ge...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:

: Well, I never saw any fan-comic of American comics. Even a parody. i
: saw only some fan-fiction but no fan-manga or comic. Well, maybe i have
: to quote that infamous 'I heard'... but, yeah, actually I heard that an
: American anime fan drew a fan-manga of an anime and brought it to a
: convention and he was sued by a company which imported that anime...
: Is it REALLY true? Why do they have to be sturbbon to fan activity? :(

: --
Well, I remember that there was something like 3 issues of Kimagure Orange
College done in dojinshi format here (I used to have issue one). But then
I also remember when Dave Sim lampooned Wolverine in Cerebus issues 54-56
and Marvel's lawyers sent him a cease and desist order, because his covers
looked too much like the real character (except for the antennae on his
mask...:)
--
Ron Spillman
Too old to avoid paying taxes, too young to die.......

SolarPoweredVampire

May 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/29/97

>It is illegal to draw a fancomic of your favorite comicbook hero(Maybe
>there's no one. -_-;), right? You can't make a parody comic of any
>comicbook or anime character in US, right?

Ben Dunn used to let people ddoo fanfics of Ninja High School, and he'd
publish the best of the best each year in The Ninja High School Yearbook.
=--------------------------------------------------------------------=
_____ In cyberspace no-one can hear you scream.
./ \.
| (\ /) | Rya...@uniserve.com Aka: The Solar Powered Vampire
|. .|
| ^ | chek my webpage at:

Peter Choi

May 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/29/97

Well, then couldn't he get some permission from those Marvel guys?

Well, actually I really want to lampoon American hero characters. I wan
to be a comicbook artist(much like a manga artist) and try to bring more
Asian way to America...

The ShrumSter

May 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/29/97

SolarPoweredVampire wrote:

> >It is illegal to draw a fancomic of your favorite comicbook hero(Maybe
> >there's no one. -_-;), right? You can't make a parody comic of any
> >comicbook or anime character in US, right?
>
> Ben Dunn used to let people ddoo fanfics of Ninja High School, and he'd
> publish the best of the best each year in The Ninja High School Yearbook.
> =--------------------------------------------------------------------=I think it's okay to make one as long as you don't profit from it. That's
when the bleedin' lawyers chew you up.

Enrique Conty

May 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/29/97

In article <338D00...@ix.netcom.com> ge...@ix.netcom.com writes:
>It is illegal to draw a fancomic of your favorite comicbook hero(Maybe
>there's no one. -_-;), right? You can't make a parody comic of any
>comicbook or anime character in US, right?

Parody is borderline, as long as the parody doesn't resemble the original
*too* much. Outright fancomics are illegal, yes.

--
Enrique Conty
Software Cowhand

David Crowe

May 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/29/97

SolarPoweredVampire <rya...@uniserve.com> wrote:
: >It is illegal to draw a fancomic of your favorite comicbook hero(Maybe

: >there's no one. -_-;), right? You can't make a parody comic of any
: >comicbook or anime character in US, right?

: Ben Dunn used to let people ddoo fanfics of Ninja High School, and he'd

: publish the best of the best each year in The Ninja High School Yearbook.

And Girls of Ninja High School, which just came out last week. But those
projects aren't true fanzines, since Ben Dunn himself approves and
publishes them.

Peter Choi

May 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/29/97

David Crowe wrote:

> Peter Choi <ge...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> : It is illegal to draw a fancomic of your favorite comicbook hero(Maybe
> : there's no one. -_-;), right? You can't make a parody comic of any
> : comicbook or anime character in US, right?
>
> : Well, I never saw any fan-comic of American comics. Even a parody. i
> : saw only some fan-fiction but no fan-manga or comic. Well, maybe i have
> : to quote that infamous 'I heard'... but, yeah, actually I heard that an
> : American anime fan drew a fan-manga of an anime and brought it to a
> : convention and he was sued by a company which imported that anime...
>
> : Is it REALLY true? Why do they have to be sturbbon to fan activity? :(
>
> The law is a little different in Japan vis a vis protecting your
> copyrights. In the US, companies have to go after anyone that infringes
> on them or run the risk of losing their rights. If you let a little thing
> slide by, that can be used as a defense by a big offender that you take to
> court. There is a less stringent standard in Japan, so fanzines are much
> easier to do. Read Fred Schott's _Dreamland Japan_ for a more
> comprehensive explanation.
>
> Another reason is geography. Japan is a small country with a high
> population density. Hence, it would be much easier to get a fanzine out
> to a lot of people with comparatively little effort. It would be much
> harder to do in the US. Comic Market (a dojinshi con) tops 100,000 fans,
> right? The San Diego Comic Con (largest in the US) is barely hitting
> 40,000.
>
> That reminds me: Is there prose fanfic in Japan or does everone do
> comic-format dojinshi?
>
> --
> David "No Nickname" Crowe You only read the manual when there's
> http://www.primenet.com/~jetman something you can't figure out.
> -Now with Mekton Zeta stats -Skuld

That's too bad. I'm trying to make an Evangelion fancomic and do I
really have to get permission from AD vision?! (I never wanna pay for
that!)

Ronald Spillman

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

Peter Choi (ge...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: Ronald Spillman wrote:
: >
: > Well, I remember that there was something like 3 issues of Kimagure Orange

: > College done in dojinshi format here (I used to have issue one). But then
: > I also remember when Dave Sim lampooned Wolverine in Cerebus issues 54-56
: > and Marvel's lawyers sent him a cease and desist order, because his covers
: > looked too much like the real character (except for the antennae on his
: > mask...:)

: Well, then couldn't he get some permission from those Marvel guys?

: Well, actually I really want to lampoon American hero characters. I wan
: to be a comicbook artist(much like a manga artist) and try to bring more
: Asian way to America...

: --
Well, the lawyers tend to chew up anything that they think is a copyright
violation, but then, after I read this I remember when Antarctic Press
put out a book called Justice that had reprints of illustrations and articles
from fanzines put out by The CLA (Comic Lovers Association) of Japan, which
is a group of fans that are totally devoted...to American superhero comics.
Quite good, actually. One of it's members, Yuujin Ishikawa did a homage to
superhero comics called The Mighty Bombshells which was in Cyber Comics before
being reprinted (by Antarctic). My guess is that since they were primarilly
fan work, and magazines I remember from my youth, like The Rocket's Blast/
Comiccollector, The Comics Journal (which is still around) and the like used
to print such illustrations a lot without the lawyerhounds huntin' them down.
Now if they was to do a story, tho', and try to sell it with copyrighted
characters, the lawyers would be on them like flies to unchi :). I mean,
they even tried to nail Dave Stevens over his Rocketteer over the name, since
Marvel had a group in a comic called Rom called the Rocketteers, nothing like
his homage to the great 1930s serials, yet they felt justified because of
the name. They lost, apparently, since Dave put out the last issue last year,
I believe. However, when in doubt, I would contact Marvel or DC (or whoever)s
offices to make sure before putting pencil to paper. It could save you
some grief, and Gambare yo!

Doug Jacobs

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

David Crowe (jet...@primenet.com) wrote:

: That reminds me: Is there prose fanfic in Japan or does everone do
: comic-format dojinshi?

Considering that not everyone can draw in Japan, I'd say they probably
exist, or that the writers end up in a doujinshi circle as "Writer"...

(hey, someone's gotta come up with the plot & dialog, right? ;)

Enrique Conty

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

In article <338E5A...@ix.netcom.com> ge...@ix.netcom.com writes:

> That's too bad. I'm trying to make an Evangelion fancomic and do I
>really have to get permission from AD vision?! (I never wanna pay for
>that!)

AD Vision *and* Viz (who publish the comic).
You could always make it but not sell it.
That'll make companies less likely to sue.

>DIE OMID KHEILTASH DIE
>FILTHY PERSIAN WHORE
>BURN IN HELL
>DIE OMID KHEILTASH DIE
>FUCK THAT DANNY PAGE

Who is this Omid Kheiltash anyway? Your ex-girlfriend?

DamienRoc

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

> That's too bad. I'm trying to make an Evangelion fancomic and do I
>really have to get permission from AD vision?! (I never wanna pay for
>that!)

You'd probably have to get permission from VIZ as they are doing the
actual EVA manga.

However, it might be noted that it's possibly safer to do a doujinshi of
an anime/manga than it is of an american comic. This is the Anime industry
we're talking about, and they actually SUPPORT the fan market in japan.
Who knows, they might do the same here.

Damien R...@aol.com
baka-king extraordinaire and SD master
Umi..Ukyou..Washuu..Skuld..Janny
Tita..Jung-Freud..Miku..Lufy..GGM
http://www.eskimo.com/~tetsuya/jeff/home.htm
BAKA-Con Homepage:
http://www.wolfenet.com/mcklstr/baka.html

Tsurugi

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

dami...@aol.com (DamienRoc) wrote:

>> That's too bad. I'm trying to make an Evangelion fancomic and do I
>>really have to get permission from AD vision?! (I never wanna pay for
>>that!)

>You'd probably have to get permission from VIZ as they are doing the
>actual EVA manga.

>However, it might be noted that it's possibly safer to do a doujinshi of
>an anime/manga than it is of an american comic. This is the Anime industry
>we're talking about, and they actually SUPPORT the fan market in japan.
>Who knows, they might do the same here.

Remember that this is America that you are talking about...

Personally I'm with Conty, make it, but don't try to sell it. Scan it
and put it on a homepage or somethin'

Tsurugi

David Crowe

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

Enrique Conty <co...@rtsg.mot.com> wrote:
: In article <338E5A...@ix.netcom.com> ge...@ix.netcom.com writes:
: >
: > That's too bad. I'm trying to make an Evangelion fancomic and do I

: >really have to get permission from AD vision?! (I never wanna pay for
: >that!)

: AD Vision *and* Viz (who publish the comic).

: You could always make it but not sell it.
: That'll make companies less likely to sue.

Remember Gainax's policy about Eva web pages? They seem pretty quick on
the trigger about protecting Eva...

Peter Choi

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

Enrique Conty wrote:

> In article <338E5A...@ix.netcom.com> ge...@ix.netcom.com writes:
> >
> > That's too bad. I'm trying to make an Evangelion fancomic and do I
> >really have to get permission from AD vision?! (I never wanna pay for
> >that!)
>
> AD Vision *and* Viz (who publish the comic).
> You could always make it but not sell it.
> That'll make companies less likely to sue.
>
> >DIE OMID KHEILTASH DIE
> >FILTHY PERSIAN WHORE
> >BURN IN HELL
> >DIE OMID KHEILTASH DIE
> >FUCK THAT DANNY PAGE
>
> Who is this Omid Kheiltash anyway? Your ex-girlfriend?
>
> --
> Enrique Conty
> Software Cowhand
> co...@cig.mot.com
> http://www.mcs.net/~conty

Thank you for your comment and....

Oh, nevermind. It's a henchman of that infamous Abu, Abu....I dunno his
last name, someone who can make Unabomber like really an infant. :)

Innpchan

May 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/31/97

Marty said:
>>And if you like EVA,I think you will like "Gundam"
>>This anime is also a kind of robotto-war story.
>>and the story is realistic.

The problem with Gundam is that it hasn't been officially released here.
You have to go thru "fansubbers" to get not-quite-legal copies if you want
to see it.

thepig
*****
TRUTH IS STRANGER THAN ANIME DEPT:
A woman named "Lum" has just confessed to laundering campaign contributions
from aliens into the Democratic Party. Guess Clinton heard about the tiger-stripe
bikinis...
*****
C.J. Scott --the pig

Innpchan

May 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/31/97

In article <338e5...@news.flex.com>, mve...@koa.iolani.honolulu.hi.us
(Mark Verrey) writes:

>>>Then there are people that believe
>>>anything Japanese is bad ("First they bomb Pearl Harbor, then they take
>>>over our jobs," is a common quote among the uneducated).
>>
>>the ones doing that were mostly the auto workers and that was during
>>the '70s. most of those types are worried about mexico and nafta today.
>
>Actually, a couple of weeks ago, I ran into a guy on the bus, who was not

>insane, merely angry, who said "We should have just dropped the bomb on
>Tokyo, then we wouldn't have any of these problems."

The firebomb raid on Tokyo March 9-10, 1945 killed more people than the
A-Bomb raids on Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined. So much for HIS logic.
And education.

And what "problems" was he talking about anyway? Cheap stereos? A
revitalized auto industry that doesn't take its customers for granted? A
strong dollar?

Enrique Conty

May 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/31/97

In article <5mo7ek$2...@nntp02.primenet.com> David Crowe <jet...@primenet.com> writes:

>Remember Gainax's policy about Eva web pages?

Yes. They specifically said that putting your own art on the page was ok:
they're only worried about people using GAINAX art. So the original
poster (who wanted to make an EVA dojin) should be ok...

Arnold Kim

May 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/31/97

On 30 May 1997, David Crowe wrote:

> Enrique Conty <co...@rtsg.mot.com> wrote:
> : In article <338E5A...@ix.netcom.com> ge...@ix.netcom.com writes:
> : >
> : > That's too bad. I'm trying to make an Evangelion fancomic and do I
> : >really have to get permission from AD vision?! (I never wanna pay for
> : >that!)
>
> : AD Vision *and* Viz (who publish the comic).
> : You could always make it but not sell it.
> : That'll make companies less likely to sue.
>
> Remember Gainax's policy about Eva web pages? They seem pretty quick on
> the trigger about protecting Eva...

What is their policy on EVA web pages anyway?

Arnold Kim
Akane Rules! _ _ |Visit Animania, the Umich
/ \/ \ |anime club at:
RANMA SAOTOME! \ / AKANE TENDO!|http://www.umich.edu/~animania
\/ | I luv UMich!

Mark Verrey

May 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/31/97

In article <19970531111...@ladder02.news.aol.com>, innp...@aol.com
says...

>>>the ones doing that were mostly the auto workers and that was during
>>>the '70s. most of those types are worried about mexico and nafta today.
>>
>>Actually, a couple of weeks ago, I ran into a guy on the bus, who was not
>
>>insane, merely angry, who said "We should have just dropped the bomb on
>>Tokyo, then we wouldn't have any of these problems."
>>

>The firebomb raid on Tokyo March 9-10, 1945 killed more people than the
>A-Bomb raids on Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined. So much for HIS logic.
>And education.
>
>And what "problems" was he talking about anyway? Cheap stereos? A
>revitalized auto industry that doesn't take its customers for granted? A
>strong dollar?

I'm not sure. He wasn't making that much sense anyway. Probably one of
those "Rush is right!" types. He was trying to say that the Honda and Toyota
factories in the U.S. were a bad thing, but most of his arguments were
incredibly flawed. I'm just saying that people like him _do indeed exist_.

>thepig
>*****
>TRUTH IS STRANGER THAN ANIME DEPT:
>A woman named "Lum" has just confessed to laundering campaign contributions
>from aliens into the Democratic Party. Guess Clinton heard about the
tiger-stripe
>bikinis...
>*****
>C.J. Scott --the pig

Mark Verrey a.k.a. Elrod a.k.a Yajirobee
mve...@koa.iolani.honolulu.hi.us
"To the beemobile!"
"You mean your Chevy?"
"Yes."