Asobi ni Iku Yo! - Really inept alien girlfriend harem anime

Dave Baranyi

Jul 13, 2010, 3:59:46 PM7/13/10
Inept. That’s the best word to describe the new alien girlfriend anime, “Asobi
ni Iku Yo!”. The first episode of this adaptation by AIC of a light novel series
gives the impression that the Production team didn’t even bother to try to
accomplish anything other than to have the boobs of alien catgirl Erisu jiggle.

The plot is straight out of the AIC archives from the 90s; Kakazu, a wimpy,
bespectacled first year high school student, is introduced to an alien catgirl
at a family ancestor feast in Okinawa, promptly passes out from alcohol
poisoning from a sip of beer, and awakens the next day with the alien catgirl
and her prehensile boobs in bed with him. Within moments an obnoxious Childhood
friend shows up, along with an obnoxious young teacher, and they both proceed to
berate him for having the catgirl with him.

But this is not just an ordinary alien girlfriend harem anime, because the
Childhood friend, the Teacher, and another megane-ko schoolmate happen to all be
working for various super-spy type organizations and are all interested in
Erisu. So we have a 90’s-style action OAV plot superimposed upon the traditional
AIC harem plot.

In principle, there is nothing particularly wrong with yet-another harem anime,
but the problem with AniIY is that everything is delivered badly in the opening
episode. What AIC seems to have forgotten is that alien girlfriend harem anime
have moved a long way from the early nineties, and the bar has been raised quite
a ways from where it used to be.

First off, the voice acting and character animation are flatter than an amateur
play at an anime convention. The artists don’t try to show any expressions on
the characters’ faces when they speak, and in lock-step, the voice actors don’t
try to add any expression to their characters’ voices. There was more life in
the character animation 30 years ago in series like UY and Dr. Slump, despite
the much simpler animation.

Next, the humor is equally flat and unenthusiastic. It’s no longer good enough
to show a wimp get a red-face from looking at a girl’s blimp-boobs in order to
get a laugh, or even a smile. Not every fanservice anime has to be “Sora no
Otoshimono”, but there needs to be some reason to find something funny, unless I
am totally mistaken and this is actually a melodrama, but with harem anime
hyper-boobs.

So we have a fundamental problem with Asobi ni Iku Yo; it has a totally
unoriginal plot and characters – which aren’t by themselves fatal flaws in this
sort of anime series – but the delivery of the anime is horrifically inept. The
folks at AIC just aren’t trying in this one.

Therefore, I’m dropping this one, but if you want to watch a 21st century
version of a late 80s or early 90s bad action/girls-with-guns/harem OAV you
might enjoy this.

Dave Baranyi

Giovanni Wassen

Jul 13, 2010, 5:32:42 PM7/13/10

Visual evidence: http://oppai.animeblog.nl/210/eris/

--
Gio

http://www.animeblog.nl

Andrew Floyd

Jul 13, 2010, 6:36:25 PM7/13/10

What I expected: Catgirl anime

What I got: BGC with boobs

So... I will continue with this one. I've seen too many crap titles for
the summer. A shame a lot of the better shows from the spring ended way
too soon.

"Read this very carefully, I shall type this only once nyo!"
"There would be little point in typing it twice nyo!!" - 'Allo 'Allo nyo

"They make crayONs; do they make crayOFFs?"

CompTIA A+ Certified IT Tech

Galen

Jul 13, 2010, 9:26:46 PM7/13/10
On 13 Jul 2010 19:59:46 GMT, Dave Baranyi <david_...@yahoo.ca>
wrote:

>The plot is straight out of the AIC archives from the 90s; Kakazu, a wimpy,
>bespectacled first year high school student, is introduced to an alien catgirl
>at a family ancestor feast in Okinawa, promptly passes out from alcohol
>poisoning from a sip of beer, and awakens the next day with the alien catgirl
>and her prehensile boobs in bed with him.

You are assuming it was beer. Let us review the sequence of events:
"uncle" pours liquid from a beer can into the cup of the hot girl
Our Hero takes the cup from her before she can drink any
accidently takes a sip himself and goes down like he was nerve gassed.

Considering everyone else in this story is Black Ops,
what did "uncle" put in the "beer"?

-Galen

newsreader

Jul 13, 2010, 9:46:12 PM7/13/10

1) I got the idea that the other "superspys" were also aliens.

2) Some of us are allergic to alcohol as evidenced by a very quick
turning red in the face. My ex had asked me why my face was
so red after I had a couple of licks on my brandy-peach ice cream
& I told her that there was real brandy in the ice cream cone
from Swensons'. Found that Hagen-Daze rum raisen also have
real rum; Safeway's spumoni has very little rum; didn't try the
ice cream that had vodka mainly the double-churnned stuff was
incompatible with my taste-buds.

3) My case may not be unusual as was following a college televised
nutrition class & in one lecture, the instructor said that her
husband's face turns red very quickly when drinking beer.

4) I can take only about 3 oz of wine with my dinner as my head
will feel like it will explode if it was much more; I do the slow
sipping during the dinner.

Again some of us have a high reaction to beer or any other forms
of alcohol. Haven't heard of anyone passing out with a couple of
gulps of beer tho; but probably possible according to my
experience/knowledge. Considering the lawsuits, I've never
encountered a waitress who would "push" me to order another
drink.

Giovanni Wassen

Jul 13, 2010, 11:59:12 PM7/13/10
Galen wrote:

> You are assuming it was beer. Let us review the sequence of events:
> "uncle" pours liquid from a beer can into the cup of the hot girl
> Our Hero takes the cup from her before she can drink any
> accidently takes a sip himself and goes down like he was nerve gassed.

"uncle" drank from the same can.

--
Gio

http://www.animeblog.nl

Andrew Floyd

Jul 14, 2010, 7:56:59 AM7/14/10

Plonked wrote:
"Some of us are allergic to alcohol as evidenced by a very quick turning
red in the face. My ex had asked me why my face was so red after I had a
couple of licks on my brandy-peach ice cream & I told her that there was
real brandy in the ice cream cone from Swenson's."

I have 2 or 3 Swenson's locations near me. I should check this out.

Yaniv Tempelman

Jul 14, 2010, 5:21:05 PM7/14/10
Dave Baranyi wrote:

> So we have a fundamental problem with Asobi ni Iku Yo; it has a totally
> unoriginal plot and characters – which aren’t by themselves fatal flaws in this
> sort of anime series – but the delivery of the anime is horrifically inept. The
> folks at AIC just aren’t trying in this one.

I found the first episode quite boring. The only thing I give the
creators credit for is Kakazu talking about the movie Koyaanisqatsi to
Futaba. It seems horribly outplaced, though. A boring kid in a boring
anime mentioning one of the most imaginative movies ever, what were the
creators thinking here?

--
Yaniv Tempelman

http://ani.donmai.ch

Inu-Yasha

Jul 14, 2010, 7:59:01 PM7/14/10
I always thought that getting red in the face through drinking was due
to the thinning of the blood by alcohol (probably an old wives tale)
causing flushing/blushing to be quicker and more readily apparent. most
(but not all) allergic reactions occur after an initial exposure to the
allergen, and produces redness/rash on the extremities, accompanied
with itching, and with severe reactions, constriction/closing of the
bronchial tubes causing difficulty in breathing. Sound more like a
sensitivity or grater susceptibility to alcohol rather than an allergy.
Now me, I smell to many beer pop tabs and down I go (Humor here,
suppose to be laugh inducing). I however am not trying to make light of
or ridicule anyones belief that they have an allergy.

Inu-Yasha
Feh!! ^_^

newsreader

Jul 14, 2010, 10:10:03 PM7/14/10

The term, allergy, was used by a nurse when I mentioned the condition;
it doesn't matter to me whatever it is as allergy also connotates a
sensitivity to alcohol; not quite the same as my allergic reactions to
crustaceans which is "just about life threatening" & was a big surprise
to me when it first happened. With alcohol my heart do race slightly
& breathing is more labored.

From what the dietitian/instructor says, alcohol goes where it wants as
the body absorbs about 20% before the alcohol hits the stomach to begin
the "normal" metabolization. Alcohol has the ability to
directly go thru the cellular walls easily & doesn't need to be
metabolized to reach the liver.

I've never gotten drunk because possibly the blood vessels in my head
get constricted & so have a headache; the more I drink, the more the
headache becomes painful; so there is a need to stop drinking as I'm
not masocistic. Used to popoff that I never had a hangover which may
not be true as the "hangover"(?) is occuring while I drinking; never
was able to finish a 12 oz can of beer, a 6 0z is my limit.

Galen

Jul 19, 2010, 5:53:10 PM7/19/10
Episode 2 summary

Our hero gets propositioned by the catgirl

Chase that tail

Who let the dogs out

Muttley cameo.

Catgirl reveals her purpose:
"Our civilization has been stable for 70,000 years
so we're all bored and looking for fun things to do."

-Galen

Galen

Jul 19, 2010, 6:00:06 PM7/19/10
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 17:53:10 -0400, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net>
wrote:

>Episode 2 summary
http://kurogane.animeblogger.net/2010/07/19/asobi-ni-ikuyo-02/

better than mine.
-Galen

Giovanni Wassen

Jul 20, 2010, 1:43:15 AM7/20/10
Galen wrote:

> Episode 2 summary

It was bad, really bad.

That about covers it.

--
Gio

http://www.animeblog.nl

Dave Baranyi

Jul 20, 2010, 5:53:45 AM7/20/10
Giovanni Wassen <ext...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Galen wrote:
>
>> Episode 2 summary
>
> It was bad, really bad.
>
> That about covers it.

Are you going to continue to Take This One for the Team? <g>

Dave Baranyi

Galen

Jul 20, 2010, 6:12:49 AM7/20/10
On 20 Jul 2010 09:53:45 GMT, Dave Baranyi <david_...@yahoo.ca>
wrote:

>Giovanni Wassen <ext...@gmail.com> wrote:

For a while. I want to see if Muttley gets more cameos.

BTW, 4chan review:
"When I was 12, this would have been awesome."

I think that sums it up nicely.

-Galen

Giovanni Wassen

Jul 20, 2010, 1:59:17 PM7/20/10
Dave Baranyi wrote:

> Are you going to continue to Take This One for the Team? <g>

I'll give it another episode, but it really has to improve. A lot :)

--
Gio

http://www.animeblog.nl