Lamu the Invader Girl?

Geoff Dias

Feb 14, 2004, 12:09:22 AM2/14/04
On the Animax channel here in Asia, there is a trailer for "Lamu the
Invader Girl", which is actually Urusei Yatsura. What markets are
using this title?

The Eternal Lost Lurker

Feb 14, 2004, 12:15:56 AM2/14/04

"Geoff Dias" <geo...@yucc.yorku.ca> wrote in message

> On the Animax channel here in Asia, there is a trailer for "Lamu the
> Invader Girl", which is actually Urusei Yatsura. What markets are
> using this title?

The ones that suck flying monkey penis, of course.

--
o/~ FRANKFURTERS! Organs in disguise!
FRANKFURTERS! More than feets and eyes! o/~

This program brought to you by ButtFriend anal dildos.
Nobody loves your butt like your ButtFriend.
=+=

The Eternal Lost Lurker
www.lurkerdrome.com

SukiyakiSushi82

Feb 14, 2004, 12:22:16 AM2/14/04
>On the Animax channel here in Asia, there is a trailer for "Lamu the
>Invader Girl", which is actually Urusei Yatsura. What markets are
>using this title?

In the late '90s, it aired on one of the BBC cable channels in the UK with a
similar title. It may be the international name for the show.

Ethan Hammond

Feb 14, 2004, 1:19:22 AM2/14/04
"Geoff Dias" <geo...@yucc.yorku.ca> wrote in message

> On the Animax channel here in Asia, there is a trailer for "Lamu the
> Invader Girl", which is actually Urusei Yatsura. What markets are
> using this title?

O.o;;;; The lame ones?

--
All Purpose Cultural Randomness
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html

Jim diGriz

Feb 14, 2004, 1:58:54 AM2/14/04
Ethan Hammond wrote:
> "Geoff Dias" <geo...@yucc.yorku.ca> wrote in message
>
>>On the Animax channel here in Asia, there is a trailer for "Lamu the
>>Invader Girl", which is actually Urusei Yatsura. What markets are
>>using this title?

> O.o;;;; The lame ones?
And _Haibane Renmei_ is sudenly "Ailes Grise"
And _Nobody's Girl_ appears to be _Ie Naki Ko Remi_ or
Remi the Homless Girl

JdG

Steve Harrison

Feb 14, 2004, 2:42:31 AM2/14/04
In article <e9b2332b.04021...@posting.google.com>,
geo...@yucc.yorku.ca (Geoff Dias) wrote:

IIRC, when Kitty Film was shopping the show to US companies in the '80s,
this was the 'offical' International title...altho I recall seeing it as
the more familar 'Lum the Invader Girl'

--
Steve Harrison-Yamato Guru
.sig got lost!

Ethan Hammond

Feb 14, 2004, 2:52:52 AM2/14/04
"Steve Harrison" <no...@my.com> wrote in message

> > On the Animax channel here in Asia, there is a trailer for "Lamu the
> > Invader Girl", which is actually Urusei Yatsura. What markets are
> > using this title?
>
> IIRC, when Kitty Film was shopping the show to US companies in the '80s,
> this was the 'offical' International title...altho I recall seeing it as
> the more familar 'Lum the Invader Girl'

Too bad no American company picked it up, although being the 80's they
probably would have butchered the show anyway.

The Eternal Lost Lurker

Feb 14, 2004, 4:52:56 AM2/14/04

"Ethan Hammond" <esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> Too bad no American company picked it up, although being the 80's they
> probably would have butchered the show anyway.

Be even more thankful 90s MTV didn't get hold of it: "Space Bitch Rum"...

Ethan Hammond

Feb 14, 2004, 6:37:42 AM2/14/04
"The Eternal Lost Lurker" <os...@raspberry.hv> wrote in message

> > Too bad no American company picked it up, although being the 80's they
> > probably would have butchered the show anyway.
>
> Be even more thankful 90s MTV didn't get hold of it: "Space Bitch Rum"...

Well she was in that one Matthew Sweet video in the 90's.

Lee Ratner

Feb 14, 2004, 7:28:33 AM2/14/04
"Ethan Hammond" <esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<otkXb.17020$hR.5...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
> "Steve Harrison" <no...@my.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > On the Animax channel here in Asia, there is a trailer for "Lamu the
> > > Invader Girl", which is actually Urusei Yatsura. What markets are
> > > using this title?
> >
> > IIRC, when Kitty Film was shopping the show to US companies in the '80s,
> > this was the 'offical' International title...altho I recall seeing it as
> > the more familar 'Lum the Invader Girl'
>
> Too bad no American company picked it up, although being the 80's they
> probably would have butchered the show anyway.

Even if they tried their best to do a faithful translation with
little or no censorship, it would have been butchered. UY is an
increadibly hard series to translate.

Chika

Feb 14, 2004, 10:43:51 AM2/14/04
In article <20040214002216...@mb-m05.aol.com>, SukiyakiSushi82

The name is more often used in markets such as the Italian market where
the word "Lamu" is pronounced more like the original pronunciation than
"Lum" would be.

--
//\ // Chika <zvl...@penfuarg.bet.hx. - ROT13>
// \// The second ZFC coming <crashnet.org.uk/zedeffcee>

... Become a programmer and never see the world!!

Chris Sobieniak

Feb 14, 2004, 2:39:11 PM2/14/04
On Sat, Feb 14, 2004, 7:52am (EST+5), esha...@worldnet.att.net
(Ethan Hammond) wrote:
>"Steve Harrison" <no...@my.com> wrote in
>message
>>IIRC, when Kitty Film was shopping the show to
>>US companies in the '80s, this was the 'offical'
>>International title...altho I recall seeing it as the
>>more familar 'Lum the Invader Girl'
>Too bad no American company picked it up,
>although being the 80's they probably would have
>butchered the show anyway.

Heh, yet I know one guy that really enjoys the theme to the Italian
version of this one (kinda come off reminded me of any DIC cartoon of
the '80s the way it was done, though I don't know what kind of edits
there were to their version)..

From the Master of Car-too-nal Knowledge...
Christopher M. Sobieniak

--"Fightin' the Frizzies since 1978"--

Chris Sobieniak

Feb 14, 2004, 2:47:16 PM2/14/04
On Sat, Feb 14, 2004, 3:43pm (EST+5), miy...@spam-no-way.invalid (Chika)
wrote:
>In article
><20040214002216...@mb-m05.aol.>com>, SukiyakiSushi82

><sukiyak...@aol.com> wrote:
>>In the late '90s, it aired on one of the BBC cable
>>channels in the UK with a similar title. It may be
>>the international name for the show.
>The name is more often used in markets such as
>the Italian market where the word "Lamu" is
>pronounced more like the original pronunciation
>than "Lum" would be.

Heh, I still find it amusing when it comes to listening the the theme
song in the Italian version I have downloaded one time. A friend of
mine from Texas really enjoys it WAY too much and I still think it
sounds rather corny somewhat. At least they got to show UY in Italy.

Chika

Feb 14, 2004, 3:10:12 PM2/14/04
In article <15973-40...@storefull-3135.bay.webtv.net>,

Chris Sobieniak <chrism...@webtv.net> wrote:
> Heh, I still find it amusing when it comes to listening the the theme
> song in the Italian version I have downloaded one time. A friend of
> mine from Texas really enjoys it WAY too much and I still think it
> sounds rather corny somewhat. At least they got to show UY in Italy.

Haven't heard it myself, though I do have a T-shirt (poorly made, I might
add!)

Might have to go have a dig for it. However I know that the Italians have
quite an appetite for Lum, amongst others...

--
//\ // Chika <zvl...@penfuarg.bet.hx. - ROT13>
// \// The second ZFC coming <crashnet.org.uk/zedeffcee>

... "Bother", said Pooh, as the read/write heads flew across the room.

Chris Sobieniak

Feb 14, 2004, 11:23:16 PM2/14/04
On Sat, Feb 14, 2004, 8:10pm (EST+5), miy...@spam-no-way.invalid (Chika)
wrote:

>Haven't heard it myself, though I do have a T-shirt
>(poorly made, I might add!)

Heh, wished I saw that in my town!

>Might have to go have a dig for it. However I know
>that the Italians have quite an appetite for Lum,
>amongst others...

Oh man I've seen plenty! I could give you websites to check out, but I
don't feel like looking them up right now, it's best if you good a
google search for this Italian term, "Cartoni Animati", that is your key
to explore a sample of the many anime that has crepted on TV down there
over the years!

(I only wish I was there, I think my grandma visited Italy once or twice
but I don't think she'd ever saw any of it. Whenever I go to her house
there would always be this National Geographic map of the Italian
pennisula on the wall in the kitchen)

Ethan Hammond

Feb 15, 2004, 5:50:37 AM2/15/04
"Lee Ratner" <czar...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Even if they tried their best to do a faithful translation with
> little or no censorship, it would have been butchered. UY is an
> increadibly hard series to translate.

And of course showing it subtitled is out of the question!!!!
*SHAKES FIST*

Chika

Feb 15, 2004, 9:25:43 AM2/15/04
In article <1aIXb.3515$aH3.1...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

Ethan Hammond <esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> "Lee Ratner" <czar...@aol.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Even if they tried their best to do a faithful translation with
> > little or no censorship, it would have been butchered. UY is an
> > increadibly hard series to translate.

> And of course showing it subtitled is out of the question!!!!
> *SHAKES FIST*

That's only half the problem. UY uses an awful lot of puns and cultural
references that, even translated, don't make any sense to non-Japanese
folk.

AnimEigo got around it by supplying copious notes on them, but for TV
shows, this is impractical.

Viz tried to get around it by changing the joke completely or, at very
least, altering it to something vaguely humorous in English, but that
didn't work all the time either. You could add extra titles explaining
each reference, but some of these would probably cover the entire screen!

Even Ranma suffered in places from cultural and linguistic dificulties in
the translation (the one I always remember is "Pan da, kotchi mo panda!
Nanchatte!" - Tofu to Genma in panda form during the "Bread Feud",
apologies if I got the romanji wrong - which is hilarious in Japanese (er,
yes) but makes no sense in English).

I was surprised when I first heard that the Beeb had tried this. I knew
they had re-subbed Akira (and made a damn good job of it, especially
compared with the first attempts I saw that came from Streamline which
were often barely readable) and WoH, but UY seemed an odd choice given its
content and translation difficulties. I hope I get to see it one day, if
only to get an idea about how they handled these difficulties (I'm
otherwise perfectly happy with the original product!) ^_^

--
//\ // Chika <zvl...@penfuarg.bet.hx. - ROT13>
// \// The second ZFC coming <crashnet.org.uk/zedeffcee>

... BREAKFAST.COM Halted... Cereal Port Not Responding.

Chris Sobieniak

Feb 15, 2004, 12:50:40 PM2/15/04
On Sun, Feb 15, 2004, 2:25pm (EST+5), miy...@spam-no-way.invalid (Chika)
wrote:

>That's only half the problem. UY uses an awful lot
>of puns and cultural references that, even
>translated, don't make any sense to non-Japanese
>folk.

Rather quite interesting given the success anime/manga like this has in
other countries.

>AnimEigo got around it by supplying copious notes
>on them, but for TV shows, this is impractical.
>Viz tried to get around it by changing the joke
>completely or, at very least, altering it to
>something vaguely humorous in English, but that
>didn't work all the time either. You could add extra
>titles explaining each reference, but some of these
>would probably cover the entire screen!

In print it works to have those linear notes or sidenotes to what is
said in the stories, though on the boob tube, it's a different matter
when you'd have having to pause the screen every now and then to watch
it.

>I was surprised when I first heard that the Beeb
>had tried this. I knew they had re-subbed Akira
>(and made a damn good job of it, especially
>compared with the first attempts I saw that came
>from Streamline which were often barely readable)
>and WoH, but UY seemed an odd choice given its
>content and translation difficulties. I hope I get to
>see it one day, if only to get an idea about how
>they handled these difficulties (I'm otherwise
>perfectly happy with the original product!) ^_^

Who knows. A friend of mine felt they'd be throwing in too many
British-slanted humor in it anyway. ^_^

Rob Kelk

Feb 15, 2004, 1:16:22 PM2/15/04
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:50:37 GMT, "Ethan Hammond"
<esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>"Lee Ratner" <czar...@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Even if they tried their best to do a faithful translation with
>> little or no censorship, it would have been butchered. UY is an
>> increadibly hard series to translate.
>
>And of course showing it subtitled is out of the question!!!!
>*SHAKES FIST*

Subtitling the show wouldn't have helped with the all-important,
series-setting-up, episode #1, where Ataru wins the game of tag by
tearing Lum's bikini top off. North American TV censors get pretty
riled up about scenes like that one, and you *can't* cut it without
making the pilot episode incomprehensible...

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> robkelk -at- jksrv -dot- com
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

The Wanderer

Feb 15, 2004, 1:17:30 PM2/15/04
Chika wrote:

> Even Ranma suffered in places from cultural and linguistic
> dificulties in the translation (the one I always remember is "Pan da,
> kotchi mo panda! Nanchatte!" - Tofu to Genma in panda form during the
> "Bread Feud", apologies if I got the romanji wrong - which is
> hilarious in Japanese (er, yes) but makes no sense in English).

The official Viz subtitled release rendered this as "It's bread. --and
you're the breadwinner.", which IMO falls flat, but is at least a solid
attempt to handle it cleanly (a more literal rendering would be "It's
bread. --and you're also a panda.", which works in French but not in
English).

Speaking of Viz, Ranma and random translation things, may I say that I
was rather surprised with one early episode to find that the translators
had actually *added* a horse joke to the title? (Which works only if you
know what Ranma's name means from elsewhere, since they AFAIK don't
mention that at all in the official release... but is still a good point
in my book.)

--
The Wanderer

Chika

Feb 15, 2004, 1:56:05 PM2/15/04
In article <8112-402...@storefull-3132.bay.webtv.net>, Chris

Sobieniak <chrism...@webtv.net> wrote:
> >I was surprised when I first heard that the Beeb had tried this. I knew
> >they had re-subbed Akira (and made a damn good job of it, especially
> >compared with the first attempts I saw that came from Streamline which
> >were often barely readable) and WoH, but UY seemed an odd choice given
> >its content and translation difficulties. I hope I get to see it one
> >day, if only to get an idea about how they handled these difficulties
> >(I'm otherwise perfectly happy with the original product!) ^_^

> Who knows. A friend of mine felt they'd be throwing in too many
> British-slanted humor in it anyway. ^_^

That much wouldn't worry me! ^_^

--
//\ // Chika <zvl...@penfuarg.bet.hx. - ROT13>
// \// The second ZFC coming <crashnet.org.uk/zedeffcee>

... "Bother", said Pooh, as the vice squad took his GIFS

Touma

Feb 15, 2004, 1:40:55 PM2/15/04
<esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>"Lee Ratner" <czar...@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Even if they tried their best to do a faithful translation with
>> little or no censorship, it would have been butchered. UY is an
>> increadibly hard series to translate.
>
>And of course showing it subtitled is out of the question!!!!
>*SHAKES FIST*

But isn't that still a translation?
Or do you just want the audio in Japanese?

--
Touma
Posting from the USA

Lee Ratner

Feb 15, 2004, 7:13:37 PM2/15/04
Chika <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote in message
> That's only half the problem. UY uses an awful lot of puns and cultural
> references that, even translated, don't make any sense to non-Japanese
> folk.

Practically all manga and anime series have scenes like this,
comedies seem to have more nearly impossible to translate scenes than
dramas actually.

> AnimEigo got around it by supplying copious notes on them, but for TV
> shows, this is impractical.

Most companies don't even bother to supply liner notes but I
notice thats slowly changing with DVDs.

> I was surprised when I first heard that the Beeb had tried this. I knew
> they had re-subbed Akira (and made a damn good job of it, especially
> compared with the first attempts I saw that came from Streamline which
> were often barely readable) and WoH, but UY seemed an odd choice given its
> content and translation difficulties. I hope I get to see it one day, if
> only to get an idea about how they handled these difficulties (I'm
> otherwise perfectly happy with the original product!) ^_^

Whats the Beeb?

Chika

Feb 15, 2004, 8:07:05 PM2/15/04
In article <59117524.04021...@posting.google.com>,

Lee Ratner <czar...@aol.com> wrote:
> Chika <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote in message
> > That's only half the problem. UY uses an awful lot of puns and cultural
> > references that, even translated, don't make any sense to non-Japanese
> > folk.

> Practically all manga and anime series have scenes like this,
> comedies seem to have more nearly impossible to translate scenes than
> dramas actually.

True, but UY is unusually endowed with large numbers of them. Not that
every episode is packed with cultural inexplicables, but you do get them.

> > AnimEigo got around it by supplying copious notes on them, but for TV
> > shows, this is impractical.

> Most companies don't even bother to supply liner notes but I
> notice thats slowly changing with DVDs.

I wonder if that is fan pressure, actual desire to inform or just
shovelware.

> > I was surprised when I first heard that the Beeb had tried this. I
> > knew they had re-subbed Akira (and made a damn good job of it,
> > especially compared with the first attempts I saw that came from
> > Streamline which were often barely readable) and WoH, but UY seemed an
> > odd choice given its content and translation difficulties. I hope I
> > get to see it one day, if only to get an idea about how they handled
> > these difficulties (I'm otherwise perfectly happy with the original
> > product!) ^_^

> Whats the Beeb?

The British Broadcasting Corporation has been known by a few nicknames
over the years, its official abbreviation, the BBC, often being used as a
target, hence the Beeb (also the Beeb Beeb Ceeb, according to Peter
Sellars). A slight addition to this gave us "Auntie Beeb", which is where
the show title "Aunties' Bloomers" is derived (a BBC outtake show hosted
by Terry Wogan).

--
//\ // Chika <zvl...@penfuarg.bet.hx. - ROT13>
// \// The second ZFC coming <crashnet.org.uk/zedeffcee>

... REALITY.SYS Corrupted: Re-boot Universe (Y/N/Q)

SukiyakiSushi82

Feb 15, 2004, 11:06:15 PM2/15/04
>I was surprised when I first heard that the Beeb had tried this. I knew
>they had re-subbed Akira (and made a damn good job of it, especially
>compared with the first attempts I saw that came from Streamline which
>were often barely readable) and WoH, but UY seemed an odd choice given its
>content and translation difficulties. I hope I get to see it one day, if
>only to get an idea about how they handled these difficulties (I'm
>otherwise perfectly happy with the original product!) ^_^
>
>--
> //\ // Chika <zvl...@penfuarg.bet.hx. -

Here's what some thought about the BBC UY dub:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=hlx*Fp2yo%40new
s.chiark.greenend.org.uk&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dlum%2Bthe%2Binvader%2Bg
irl%2Buk%26ie%3DISO-8859-1%26hl%3Den

Geoff Dias

Feb 16, 2004, 12:34:56 AM2/16/04
I wouldn't exactly call Animax a lame channel. Anything showing anime
24 hours can't be that bad. It would be nice if they can have this
available in North America.

www.animax-asia.com

Ethan Hammond

Feb 16, 2004, 4:13:49 AM2/16/04
"Chika" <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote in message

> > > Even if they tried their best to do a faithful translation with
> > > little or no censorship, it would have been butchered. UY is an
> > > increadibly hard series to translate.
>
> > And of course showing it subtitled is out of the question!!!!
> > *SHAKES FIST*
>
> That's only half the problem. UY uses an awful lot of puns and cultural
> references that, even translated, don't make any sense to non-Japanese
> folk.

*shrugs* I can get most of them, it just makes UY more education,
EDUCATION!!!! Hell the Simpsons is all about US cultural jokes
and puns and it is popular all over the world.

> AnimEigo got around it by supplying copious notes on them, but for TV
> shows, this is impractical.

Then how come it works for the Simpons, huh, huh? *SHAKES FIST*

> Viz tried to get around it by changing the joke completely or, at very
> least, altering it to something vaguely humorous in English, but that
> didn't work all the time either. You could add extra titles explaining
> each reference, but some of these would probably cover the entire screen!

Viz dosen't really care as much as Animiego. I remember when Viz would make
every Ranma song ryhme for some pointless reason.

Ethan Hammond

Feb 16, 2004, 4:16:53 AM2/16/04
"Touma" <to...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> But isn't that still a translation?
> Or do you just want the audio in Japanese?

It dosen't matter to me I was watching UY every week when it original
aired in Japan. It is for the rest of you slovely KNAVES!!!!

Ethan Hammond

Feb 16, 2004, 4:19:10 AM2/16/04
"Rob Kelk" <rob...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

> Subtitling the show wouldn't have helped with the all-important,
> series-setting-up, episode #1, where Ataru wins the game of tag by
> tearing Lum's bikini top off. North American TV censors get pretty
> riled up about scenes like that one, and you *can't* cut it without
> making the pilot episode incomprehensible...

Damn, that is true. That would have been a huge deal, especially 20 years
ago. However if they had gone ahead and done it maybe now no one would
be whining about what Janet Jackson did.

Lee Ratner

Feb 16, 2004, 7:18:16 AM2/16/04
Chika <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote in message
> > Practically all manga and anime series have scenes like this,
> > comedies seem to have more nearly impossible to translate scenes than
> > dramas actually.
>
> True, but UY is unusually endowed with large numbers of them. Not that
> every episode is packed with cultural inexplicables, but you do get them.

UY is something like a Japanese version of the Simpsons, I
remember hearing that the Simpsons is very hard to translate well.

> I wonder if that is fan pressure, actual desire to inform or just
> shovelware.

I'm going for the second option considering its relative scarcity.

> The British Broadcasting Corporation has been known by a few nicknames
> over the years, its official abbreviation, the BBC, often being used as a
> target, hence the Beeb (also the Beeb Beeb Ceeb, according to Peter
> Sellars). A slight addition to this gave us "Auntie Beeb", which is where
> the show title "Aunties' Bloomers" is derived (a BBC outtake show hosted
> by Terry Wogan).

Beeb is the good old BBC, eh? I'd actually like to see some BBC
dubed anime.

Chika

Feb 16, 2004, 8:36:42 AM2/16/04
In article <20040215230615...@mb-m13.aol.com>,
SukiyakiSushi82 <sukiyak...@aol.com> wrote:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=hlx*Fp2yo%40news.chiark.greenend.org.uk&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dlum%2Bthe%2Binvader%2Bgirl%2Buk%26ie%3DISO-8859-1%26hl%3Den

Hmm... Haven't heard much out of Weds lately.

But the Teletext service is useful for things like that. :)

--

//\ // Chika <zvl...@penfuarg.bet.hx. - ROT13>
// \// The second ZFC coming <crashnet.org.uk/zedeffcee>

... It's not in the manual !!!!!

Chika

Feb 16, 2004, 8:47:40 AM2/16/04
In article <hR%Xb.6808$aH3.2...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

Ethan Hammond <esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> "Chika" <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> > That's only half the problem. UY uses an awful lot of puns and cultural
> > references that, even translated, don't make any sense to non-Japanese
> > folk.

> *shrugs* I can get most of them, it just makes UY more education,
> EDUCATION!!!! Hell the Simpsons is all about US cultural jokes
> and puns and it is popular all over the world.

So was the Animaniacs, but in each case they were laughing at the
non-cultural stuff. Why does, for example, Red Dwarf have such a following
in the US, considering the amount of UK cultural references it has?

The difference is that, in UY, some of the episodes depend heavily on your
knowledge of a specific Japanese reference. It's easy enough for us here
(well, most of us) to understand, for example, the references to such
things as setsubun in relation to Benten etc., or we might know what a
shrike is and what it does, but the average farty out there doesn't.

As long as there is enough to keep them laughing without worrying about
such things, there's no problem, but there are some episodes of UY where
that just doesn't happen.

> > AnimEigo got around it by supplying copious notes on them, but for TV
> > shows, this is impractical.

> Then how come it works for the Simpons, huh, huh? *SHAKES FIST*

Because there is enough in each episode of the Simpsons to sustain the
show. At least usually. There have been a few eps of the Simpsons that
have fallen flat on their faces because of extended cultural references.

> > Viz tried to get around it by changing the joke completely or, at very
> > least, altering it to something vaguely humorous in English, but that
> > didn't work all the time either. You could add extra titles explaining
> > each reference, but some of these would probably cover the entire
> > screen!

> Viz dosen't really care as much as Animiego. I remember when Viz would
> make every Ranma song ryhme for some pointless reason.

They aren't alone in that one. Some of the old LA Hero stuff did the same
thing.

***SHAKES MACROSS II TAPE***

--
//\ // Chika <zvl...@penfuarg.bet.hx. - ROT13>
// \// The second ZFC coming <crashnet.org.uk/zedeffcee>

... "Shhh! The Christians think they are up here alone."..God

Chika

Feb 16, 2004, 8:49:33 AM2/16/04
In article <iW%Xb.6821$aH3.2...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

Ethan Hammond <esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> "Rob Kelk" <rob...@deadspam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Subtitling the show wouldn't have helped with the all-important,
> > series-setting-up, episode #1, where Ataru wins the game of tag by
> > tearing Lum's bikini top off. North American TV censors get pretty
> > riled up about scenes like that one, and you *can't* cut it without
> > making the pilot episode incomprehensible...

> Damn, that is true. That would have been a huge deal, especially 20
> years ago. However if they had gone ahead and done it maybe now no one
> would be whining about what Janet Jackson did.

There's a great deal of difference between Janet Jackson's boob and Lum's.

Lum is far more attractive, for one... ^_^

--
//\ // Chika <zvl...@penfuarg.bet.hx. - ROT13>
// \// The second ZFC coming <crashnet.org.uk/zedeffcee>

... Govt investigations contribute more to amusement than knowledge.

Chika

Feb 16, 2004, 8:52:06 AM2/16/04
In article <59117524.04021...@posting.google.com>,
Lee Ratner <czar...@aol.com> wrote:
> Beeb is the good old BBC, eh? I'd actually like to see some BBC
> dubed anime.

ISTR Lum was all they did. They did a sub of their own for Akira and WoH,
but most anime tends to air on the other channels, and tends to use the
translations and dubs/subs of whoever supplies it.

Mind you, ISTR they did show the Moomins many years ago... ^_^

--
//\ // Chika <zvl...@penfuarg.bet.hx. - ROT13>
// \// The second ZFC coming <crashnet.org.uk/zedeffcee>

... Some Do, Some Don't, Some Will and Some Won't.

Chris Sobieniak

Feb 16, 2004, 1:26:31 PM2/16/04
On Mon, Feb 16, 2004, 9:19am (EST+5), esha...@worldnet.att.net
(Ethan Hammond) wrote:
>"Rob Kelk" <rob...@deadspam.com> wrote in
>message
>>Subtitling the show wouldn't have helped with the
>>all-important, series-setting-up, episode #1,
>>where Ataru wins the game of tag by tearing
>>Lum's bikini top off. North American TV censors
>>get pretty riled up about scenes like that one, and
>>you *can't* cut it without making the pilot episode
>>incomprehensible...
>Damn, that is true. That would have been a huge
>deal, especially 20 years ago. However if they had
>gone ahead and done it maybe now no one would
>be whining about what Janet Jackson did.

That is soooo true!

Chris Sobieniak

Feb 16, 2004, 1:29:33 PM2/16/04
On Mon, Feb 16, 2004, 1:36pm (EST+5), miy...@spam-no-way.invalid (Chika)
wrote:
>In article
><20040215230615...@mb-m13.aol.>com>,   SukiyakiSushi82

><sukiyak...@aol.com> wrote:
>>http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=U>>TF-8&threadm=hlx*Fp2yo%40news.chiark.greenen>>d.org.uk&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dlum%2B>>the%2Binvader%2Bgirl%2Buk%26ie%3DISO-885>>9-1%26hl%3Den
>Hmm... Haven't heard much out of Weds lately.
>But the Teletext service is useful for things like
>that. :)

Amused if they're still using 'em!

Chris Sobieniak

Feb 16, 2004, 1:22:10 PM2/16/04
On Mon, Feb 16, 2004, 9:13am (EST+5), esha...@worldnet.att.net
(Ethan Hammond) wrote:
>"Chika" <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote in
>message
>>That's only half the problem. UY uses an awful
>>lot of puns and cultural references that, even
>>translated, don't make any sense to
>>non-Japanese folk.
>*shrugs* I can get most of them, it just makes UY
>more education, EDUCATION!!!! Hell the
>Simpsons is all about US cultural jokes and puns
>and it is popular all over the world.

Heh, we should just be grateful the rest of the world can put up with
our cultural mumbo-jumbo that well.

>>AnimEigo got around it by supplying copious
>>notes on them, but for TV shows, this is
>>impractical.
>Then how come it works for the Simpons, huh,
>huh? *SHAKES FIST*

Yet I'm surprised Family Guy gets seen at all outside the US with it's
brand of esoterical humor.

>>Viz tried to get around it by changing the joke
>>completely or, at very least, altering it to
>>something vaguely humorous in English, but that
>>didn't work all the time either. You could add
>>extra titles explaining each reference, but some
>>of these would probably cover the entire screen!
>Viz dosen't really care as much as Animiego. I
>remember when Viz would make every Ranma
>song ryhme for some pointless reason.

You can blame Trish Ledoux for that!

Though it's not as bad as a number of countries that did took a crack at
even dubbing the theme songs too. In Italy, they too the first series
OP theme and made both an opening and closing theme out of it, using
different lyrics (uniquely sung by a boy and girl duo).

Shalom Septimus

Feb 16, 2004, 1:37:10 PM2/16/04
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 14:25:43 +0000 (GMT), Chika
<miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote:

>You could add extra titles explaining
>each reference, but some of these would probably cover the entire screen!

I seem to remember even AnimEigo just giving up entirely on one scene,
simply translating the TV announcer's monologue literally, with a
supertitle reading "(Incredibly bad untranslatable puns)".

IIRC this was in the episode where they built that weird fossil out of
spare parts, which Ten then brought to life with one of his gadgets.
--
Shalom

Chika

Feb 16, 2004, 2:11:15 PM2/16/04
In article <8111-403...@storefull-3132.bay.webtv.net>, Chris

Sobieniak <chrism...@webtv.net> wrote:
> >But the Teletext service is useful for things like that. :)

> Amused if they're still using 'em!

There are new services being put online on the satellite services by
various channels. It's a cheap way of providing a text backup for various
shows, etc. and it doesn't require extra decoding by the STB (most sets
here can receive and decode teletext directly). Some of the bigger
companies are running down their services (BBC's CEEFAX can only be seen
in full terrestrially, the service being replaced by the BBCi service -
which sucks IMO, ITV is also going that way, and Sky only provide limited
services for certain users with the old SkyText service).

--
//\ // Chika <zvl...@penfuarg.bet.hx. - ROT13>
// \// The second ZFC coming <crashnet.org.uk/zedeffcee>

... Censorship is something ÛÛÛÛÛÛ ÛÛÛÛ I do ÛÛÛ like!

Chika

Feb 16, 2004, 2:12:58 PM2/16/04
In article <n13230he2c3e4p61d...@news.giganews.com>,

Sounds about right, though I haven't got that ep. (*sigh* one day I'll
start collecting again!)

--
//\ // Chika <zvl...@penfuarg.bet.hx. - ROT13>
// \// The second ZFC coming <crashnet.org.uk/zedeffcee>

... I want everything; do you have it??

Lee Ratner

Feb 16, 2004, 5:20:28 PM2/16/04
Chika <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote in message news:<4c81a8b8...@no.spam.here>...

> In article <59117524.04021...@posting.google.com>,
> Lee Ratner <czar...@aol.com> wrote:
> > Beeb is the good old BBC, eh? I'd actually like to see some BBC
> > dubed anime.
>
> ISTR Lum was all they did. They did a sub of their own for Akira and WoH,
> but most anime tends to air on the other channels, and tends to use the
> translations and dubs/subs of whoever supplies it.
>
> Mind you, ISTR they did show the Moomins many years ago... ^_^

Do you know how much of Lum was dubbed by the BBC and what were the
quality of its translations and voice acting?

Chika

Feb 16, 2004, 8:22:49 PM2/16/04
In article <59117524.04021...@posting.google.com>, Lee Ratner
<czar...@aol.com> wrote:
> Chika <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote in message
> > In article <59117524.04021...@posting.google.com>, Lee
> > Ratner <czar...@aol.com> wrote:
> > > Beeb is the good old BBC, eh? I'd actually like to see some BBC
> > > dubed anime.
> >
> > ISTR Lum was all they did. They did a sub of their own for Akira and
> > WoH, but most anime tends to air on the other channels, and tends to
> > use the translations and dubs/subs of whoever supplies it.
> >
> > Mind you, ISTR they did show the Moomins many years ago... ^_^

> Do you know how much of Lum was dubbed by the BBC and what were the
> quality of its translations and voice acting?

As I said earlier, I never had the chance to see it myself. Maybe some of
the other umaa regulars might be of more help with that.

--
//\ // Chika <zvl...@penfuarg.bet.hx. - ROT13>
// \// The second ZFC coming <crashnet.org.uk/zedeffcee>

... I wrote my own benchmark, my machine now runs at 500MHz

Ethan Hammond

Feb 16, 2004, 9:51:07 PM2/16/04
"Chika" <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote in message

> > *shrugs* I can get most of them, it just makes UY more education,
> > EDUCATION!!!! Hell the Simpsons is all about US cultural jokes
> > and puns and it is popular all over the world.
>
> So was the Animaniacs, but in each case they were laughing at the
> non-cultural stuff. Why does, for example, Red Dwarf have such a following
> in the US, considering the amount of UK cultural references it has?

Because of the hologram guy, Rimmer!!!!

> The difference is that, in UY, some of the episodes depend heavily on your
> knowledge of a specific Japanese reference. It's easy enough for us here
> (well, most of us) to understand, for example, the references to such
> things as setsubun in relation to Benten etc., or we might know what a
> shrike is and what it does, but the average farty out there doesn't.

And the kanji jokes are pretty hard to understand. Damn kanji.

> > Then how come it works for the Simpons, huh, huh? *SHAKES FIST*
>
> Because there is enough in each episode of the Simpsons to sustain the
> show. At least usually. There have been a few eps of the Simpsons that
> have fallen flat on their faces because of extended cultural references.

Does UY not have Lum?

> > Viz dosen't really care as much as Animiego. I remember when Viz would
> > make every Ranma song ryhme for some pointless reason.
>
> They aren't alone in that one. Some of the old LA Hero stuff did the same
> thing.
>
> ***SHAKES MACROSS II TAPE***

The fiends!!!!

Ethan Hammond

Feb 16, 2004, 9:51:59 PM2/16/04
"Chika" <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote in message

> There's a great deal of difference between Janet Jackson's boob and Lum's.
>
> Lum is far more attractive, for one... ^_^

I am in concurrence. And Lum's boobage was not of her own planning.

Ethan Hammond

Feb 17, 2004, 5:33:12 AM2/17/04
"Chris Sobieniak" <chrism...@webtv.net> wrote in message

>Heh, we should just be grateful the rest of the world can put up with
>our cultural mumbo-jumbo that well.

Although the world dosen't really have a choice.

Chris Sobieniak

Feb 17, 2004, 7:37:37 PM2/17/04
On Tue, Feb 17, 2004, 10:33am (EST+5), esha...@worldnet.att.net
(Ethan Hammond) wrote:
>"Chris Sobieniak" <chrism...@webtv.net> wrote
>in message
>>Heh, we should just be grateful the rest of the
>>world can put up with our cultural mumbo-jumbo
>>that well.
>Although the world dosen't really have a choice.

Pathetic, ain't it? ^_^

Ethan Hammond

Feb 17, 2004, 10:36:54 PM2/17/04
"Chris Sobieniak" <chrism...@webtv.net> wrote in message

>Pathetic, ain't it? ^_^

Until Ethancorp takes over and tells the world what to think,
first RAAM then the world!!!!

Chika

Feb 18, 2004, 9:54:13 AM2/18/04
In article <15973-403...@storefull-3135.bay.webtv.net>,

Chris Sobieniak <chrism...@webtv.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2004, 10:33am (EST+5), esha...@worldnet.att.net
> (Ethan Hammond) wrote:
> >"Chris Sobieniak" <chrism...@webtv.net> wrote
> >in message
> >>Heh, we should just be grateful the rest of the
> >>world can put up with our cultural mumbo-jumbo
> >>that well.
> >Although the world dosen't really have a choice.

> Pathetic, ain't it? ^_^

Couldn't have put it better myself! ^_^

--
//\ // Chika <zvl...@penfuarg.bet.hx. - ROT13>
// \// The second ZFC coming <crashnet.org.uk/zedeffcee>

... A closed mouth gathers no feet

Chika

Feb 18, 2004, 9:55:17 AM2/18/04
In article <q5BYb.13646$aH3.4...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

Ethan Hammond <esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> "Chris Sobieniak" <chrism...@webtv.net> wrote in message
> >
> >Pathetic, ain't it? ^_^

> Until Ethancorp takes over and tells the world what to think,
> first RAAM then the world!!!!

# Tatakae, Otakiiiiiig!!!! ^_^

--
//\ // Chika <zvl...@penfuarg.bet.hx. - ROT13>
// \// The second ZFC coming <crashnet.org.uk/zedeffcee>

... We all have failures. The question is, what do we do with them?

Chris Sobieniak

Feb 18, 2004, 11:42:09 AM2/18/04
On Wed, Feb 18, 2004, 2:55pm (EST+5), miy...@spam-no-way.invalid (Chika)
wrote:
>In article
><q5BYb.13646$aH3.4...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.>worldnet.att.net>,   Ethan

Hammond
><esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>"Chris Sobieniak" <chrism...@webtv.net>
>>wrote in message
>>>Pathetic, ain't it? ^_^
>>Until Ethancorp takes over and tells the world
>>what to think, first RAAM then the world!!!!
># Tatakae, Otakiiiiiig!!!! ^_^

Right On!

Chika

Feb 18, 2004, 12:49:27 PM2/18/04
In article <15461-40...@storefull-3138.bay.webtv.net>,

Chris Sobieniak <chrism...@webtv.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2004, 2:55pm (EST+5), miy...@spam-no-way.invalid (Chika)
> wrote:
> >In article
> ><q5BYb.13646$aH3.4...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.>worldnet.att.net>,   Ethan
> Hammond
> ><esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> >>Until Ethancorp takes over and tells the world
> >>what to think, first RAAM then the world!!!!
> ># Tatakae, Otakiiiiiig!!!! ^_^

> Right On!

Mind you, it has been many moons since I last watched Otaku No Video...

Oh well! I watched Rock N Rule last week, so perhaps this week it is time
to roll it out again! ^_^

--
//\ // Chika <zvl...@penfuarg.bet.hx. - ROT13>
// \// The second ZFC coming <crashnet.org.uk/zedeffcee>

... Salvation is only a Beer Bottle away...

Chris Sobieniak

Feb 18, 2004, 11:02:30 PM2/18/04
On Wed, Feb 18, 2004, 5:49pm (EST+5), miy...@spam-no-way.invalid (Chika)
wrote:
>In article
><15461-40...@storefull-3138.bay.webtv.n>et>,   Chris Sobieniak
<chrism...@webtv.net>
>wrote:
>>># Tatakae, Otakiiiiiig!!!! ^_^
>>Right On!
>Mind you, it has been many moons since I last
>watched Otaku No Video...

Well I just got the DVD last month, and it changed my life forever
(maybe)!

>Oh well! I watched Rock N Rule last week,

Heh, at least you can watch that. I'm still waiting to upgrade my
pirated copies once the DVD will come out over here.

>so perhaps this week it is time to roll it out again!
>^_^

You should!

One of these days I should try to make my own garage video. ^_^

Ethan Hammond

Feb 21, 2004, 1:08:42 AM2/21/04
"Rob Kelk" <rob...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

> >And of course showing it subtitled is out of the question!!!!
> >*SHAKES FIST*

> Subtitling the show wouldn't have helped with the all-important,
> series-setting-up, episode #1, where Ataru wins the game of tag by
> tearing Lum's bikini top off. North American TV censors get pretty
> riled up about scenes like that one, and you *can't* cut it without
> making the pilot episode incomprehensible...

Yes, yes and I said it would have made it so what Janet Jackson did
was no big deal.

Ethan Hammond

Feb 21, 2004, 7:07:17 PM2/21/04
"Chris Sobieniak" <chrism...@webtv.net> wrote in message

>Damn, that is true. That would have been a huge
>deal, especially 20 years ago. However if they had
>gone ahead and done it maybe now no one would
>be whining about what Janet Jackson did.
>
>That is soooo true!

I didn't think about that until about a week after the
super bowl controversy, but I grew up watching
Lum and other anime once a week. I mean even
in Doreamon they show Shinobu chan in the shower
and bath and I have a Doreamon movie where this
gaijin esque girl who controls giant robots is fully
nude. Also there was the bathing with my
yochien(kindergarden) sensei to consider. So
I was around nudity a lot in Japan tweny years
ago and no one freaked out, but in the US you
flash a saggin boob with some awful ring thing
on it and people freak out. I mean it wasn't
even a nice looking booby. No offense to
Janet Jackson fans. I was kind of offended
by what Janet did at first until I thought about
it in the context of my own life. Then I started
to think it was hypocritical of me to be offended
by it. I dunno, its weird how different certain
parts of the world's sensitivities are. I mean in the
US DOA Volleyball gets the same rating as a game
like Silent Hill or GTA3. I don't think DOA Volleyball
has anything that could be bad for a child, but Silent
Hill or GTA3 really do. Maybe because I grew up
in Japan I find graphic violence to be worse than
scantily clad girls.

Ethan Hammond

Feb 21, 2004, 7:10:33 PM2/21/04
Oh and I am also a Howard Stern fan and watch his
TV show every night. I also watch Bill O Reilly
every night too. Ethan is a rich tapestry of
diversity.

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Feb 22, 2004, 12:08:19 AM2/22/04
On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Ethan Hammond wrote:

> "Chris Sobieniak" <chrism...@webtv.net> wrote in message
> >
> >Damn, that is true. That would have been a huge
> >deal, especially 20 years ago. However if they had
> >gone ahead and done it maybe now no one would
> >be whining about what Janet Jackson did.
> >
> >That is soooo true!
>
> I didn't think about that until about a week after the
> super bowl controversy, but I grew up watching
> Lum and other anime once a week. I mean even
> in Doreamon they show Shinobu chan in the shower
> and bath and I have a Doreamon movie where this
> gaijin esque girl who controls giant robots is fully
> nude. Also there was the bathing with my
> yochien(kindergarden) sensei to consider. So
> I was around nudity a lot in Japan tweny years
> ago and no one freaked out, but in the US you

Echan, don't remind me of one of the more disturbing 1-hr
I just spent watching: a news investigation on the child sex trade.
Can't believe what people and kids would resort to, and their pimps.

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://cif.rochester.edu/~stanlee/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

Ethan Hammond

Feb 22, 2004, 5:19:24 AM2/22/04
"S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <sta...@cif.rochester.edu> wrote in message

> Echan, don't remind me of one of the more disturbing 1-hr
> I just spent watching: a news investigation on the child sex trade.
> Can't believe what people and kids would resort to, and their pimps.

O.o?ż?ż Was I talking aboot pedophelia?

Chris Sobieniak

Feb 22, 2004, 11:15:34 PM2/22/04
On Sun, Feb 22, 2004, 12:07am (EST+5), esha...@worldnet.att.net
(Ethan Hammond) wrote:
>"Chris Sobieniak" <chrism...@webtv.net> wrote
>in message
>>>Damn, that is true. That would have been a >>>huge deal, especially
20 years ago. However if >>>they had gone ahead and done it maybe now no
>>>one would be whining about what Janet Jackson
>>>did.
>>That is soooo true!
>I didn't think about that until about a week after
>the super bowl controversy, but I grew up watching
>Lum and other anime once a week.

Which I'm stil glad you did!

>I mean even in Doreamon they show Shinobu chan
>in the shower and bath and I have a Doreamon
>movie where this gaijin esque girl who controls
>giant robots is fully nude.

I'm still amused Doraemon got away with this!

>Also there was the bathing with my
>yochien(kindergarden) sensei to consider.

I still think you had a very lucky childhood! ^_^

Close I ever had was my faint memory of sharing a bath with my dad and
either my younger brother or sister when I as 5. (guess the "family
bath" really doesn't work over here)

>So I was around nudity a lot in Japan tweny years
>ago and no one freaked out, but in the US you
>flash a saggin boob with some awful ring thing on
>it and people freak out. I mean it wasn't even a
>nice looking booby. No offense to Janet Jackson
>fans.

Glad I'm not!

>I was kind of offended by what Janet did at first
>until I thought about it in the context of my own
>life. Then I started to think it was hypocritical of
>me to be offended by it.

I know how that can be. If only I had watched that thing to have the
same discussion with you!

>I dunno, its weird how different certain parts of the
>world's sensitivities are.

You were just lucky to have grown up in a better-off place!

>I mean in the US DOA Volleyball gets the same
>rating as a game like Silent Hill or GTA3. I don't
>think DOA Volleyball has anything that could be
>bad for a child, but Silent Hill or GTA3 really do.
>Maybe because I grew up in Japan I find graphic
>violence to be worse than scantily clad girls.

That's probably it! I would have the same thought to since I really
don't like violence, but they seem to want to lump "sex" any anything
related to it in the same category here.

Chris Sobieniak

Feb 22, 2004, 11:27:42 PM2/22/04
On Sun, Feb 22, 2004, 12:08am, sta...@cif.rochester.edu (S.t.A.n.L.e.E)
wrote:

>Echan, don't remind me of one of the more
>disturbing 1-hr I just spent watching: a news
>investigation on the child sex trade. Can't believe
>what people and kids would resort to, and their
>pimps.
>Laters. =)

Hey, it goes on everday, get used to it! (dont' know why I consider
this my motto, but I hear too much about this anyway to not be that
shocked anymore)

Chris Sobieniak

Feb 22, 2004, 11:25:19 PM2/22/04
On Sun, Feb 22, 2004, 12:10am (EST+5), esha...@worldnet.att.net
(Ethan Hammond) wrote:
>Oh and I am also a Howard Stern fan and watch
>his TV show every night. I also watch Bill O Reilly
>every night too. Ethan is a rich tapestry of
>diversity.

Great you're a Stern fan. I used to be back when a radio station
offered his show in my town 7-8 years back. I would listen to it before
I had to go to colllege or when I happen to be up that morning, or I'd
tape it and listen to it later (somehow it has become a thing for those
hardcore Stern fans to record the whole show on their HiFi VCRs in the
EP mode to save a whole day's program, too bad I didn't have a HiFi VCR
then, or a decent radio reciever, so I had to record mine on the stereo
on 120 minute cassettes). I also watched the E! show whenever I had the
time, and even the later syndie version that was seen on my cable
company's own channel (being a WB affilate too). Then the radio station
decided to play "f__k the viewers" and took Stern off, with some lame
statement that they weren't get any good ratings for the mornings and
replaced him with some local guy who probably didn't rake in the bucks
they could've spent on just carrying Stern.

So to make a long story short, I'm probably not much of a Stern fan
anymore, I think I pawned off my sealed copy of the Private Parts VHS
tape I won from my same radio station in a contest (I have a bootleg of
the workprint, and that has more than what you can get on the DVD!) and
I don't hardly watch the E! show at all, as I find myself still craving
Stern afterwards, and it kills me (both emotionally and internally). I
just blame living in Toledo for that!

There is a station in Detroit that offers it, but it comes in like s__t
on my bedroom stereo anyway.

Ethan Hammond

Feb 23, 2004, 3:24:49 AM2/23/04
"Chris Sobieniak" <chrism...@webtv.net> wrote in message

>Lum and other anime once a week.
>
>Which I'm stil glad you did!

Me too!!!!

>I mean even in Doreamon they show Shinobu chan
>in the shower and bath and I have a Doreamon
>movie where this gaijin esque girl who controls
>giant robots is fully nude.
>
>I'm still amused Doraemon got away with this!

That's because Doreamon is hardcore.

>Also there was the bathing with my
>yochien(kindergarden) sensei to consider.
>
>I still think you had a very lucky childhood! ^_^

Yes, it was nice.

>Close I ever had was my faint memory of sharing a bath with my dad and
>either my younger brother or sister when I as 5. (guess the "family
>bath" really doesn't work over here)

Just like in Totoro.

>I dunno, its weird how different certain parts of the
>world's sensitivities are.
>
>You were just lucky to have grown up in a better-off place!

Heh, I dunno if it is better, but it is different.

>I mean in the US DOA Volleyball gets the same
>rating as a game like Silent Hill or GTA3. I don't
>think DOA Volleyball has anything that could be
>bad for a child, but Silent Hill or GTA3 really do.
>Maybe because I grew up in Japan I find graphic
>violence to be worse than scantily clad girls.
>
>That's probably it! I would have the same thought to since I really
>don't like violence, but they seem to want to lump "sex" any anything
>related to it in the same category here.

Who knows.

Ethan Hammond

Feb 23, 2004, 3:27:54 AM2/23/04
"Chris Sobieniak" <chrism...@webtv.net> wrote in message

>Great you're a Stern fan. I used to be back when a radio station
>offered his show in my town 7-8 years back. I would listen to it before
>I had to go to colllege or when I happen to be up that morning, or I'd
>tape it and listen to it later (somehow it has become a thing for those
>hardcore Stern fans to record the whole show on their HiFi VCRs in the
>EP mode to save a whole day's program, too bad I didn't have a HiFi VCR
>then, or a decent radio reciever, so I had to record mine on the stereo
>on 120 minute cassettes). I also watched the E! show whenever I had the
>time, and even the later syndie version that was seen on my cable
>company's own channel (being a WB affilate too). Then the radio station
>decided to play "f__k the viewers" and took Stern off, with some lame
>statement that they weren't get any good ratings for the mornings and
>replaced him with some local guy who probably didn't rake in the bucks
>they could've spent on just carrying Stern.

I have never lived in a city that got Stern on the radio, but I like to
watch
the show on E!

>So to make a long story short, I'm probably not much of a Stern fan
>anymore, I think I pawned off my sealed copy of the Private Parts VHS
>tape I won from my same radio station in a contest (I have a bootleg of
>the workprint, and that has more than what you can get on the DVD!) and
>I don't hardly watch the E! show at all, as I find myself still craving
>Stern afterwards, and it kills me (both emotionally and internally). I
>just blame living in Toledo for that!

Private Parts was pretty cool, I should watch it on DVD sometime.

Chris Sobieniak

Feb 23, 2004, 1:03:16 PM2/23/04
On Mon, Feb 23, 2004, 8:27am (EST+5), esha...@worldnet.att.net
(Ethan Hammond) wrote:
>I have never lived in a city that got Stern on the
>radio, but I like to watch
>the show on E!

I guess I felt luckier to have it on the radio. Too bad he works for
Viacom, if they had any brain, they'd put the show online somehow. I
wouldn't mind paying so much a month to watch a webcast of it every
morning or something. They could pretty much use the E! cameras and the
audio from the radio station that can be heard during it, though for the
ad breaks, they can always go to the audio of the studio while we see
the guys setting up or leaving and all. Would've been a great idea, but
sadly knowbody cares for my ideas!

>>So to make a long story short, I'm probably not
>>much of a Stern fan anymore, I think I pawned off
>>my sealed copy of the Private Parts VHS tape I
>>won from my same radio station in a contest (I
>>have a bootleg of the workprint, and that has
>>more than what you can get on the DVD!) and I
>>don't hardly watch the E! show at all, as I find
>>myself still craving Stern afterwards, and it kills
>>me (both emotionally and internally). I just blame
>>living in Toledo for that!
>Private Parts was pretty cool, I should watch it on
>DVD sometime.

You should! My favorite part in the whole movie is when he gets some
chick to go nude during his show and he ask her to give him a massage,
while the WNBC executive (Pig Vomit) orders the show to be cut off,
forcing Howard to use force!

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Feb 23, 2004, 4:46:05 PM2/23/04
On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Chris Sobieniak wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 22, 2004, 12:08am, sta...@cif.rochester.edu (S.t.A.n.L.e.E)
> wrote:
> >Echan, don't remind me of one of the more
> >disturbing 1-hr I just spent watching: a news
> >investigation on the child sex trade. Can't believe
> >what people and kids would resort to, and their
> >pimps.
> >Laters. =)
>
> Hey, it goes on everday, get used to it! (dont' know why I consider
> this my motto, but I hear too much about this anyway to not be that
> shocked anymore)

Yeah unfortunately; wasn't raised in the first world, y'know.
Still disturbing nonetheless.

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Feb 23, 2004, 4:51:52 PM2/23/04
On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Ethan Hammond wrote:

> "S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <sta...@cif.rochester.edu> wrote in message
> >
> > Echan, don't remind me of one of the more disturbing 1-hr
> > I just spent watching: a news investigation on the child sex trade.
> > Can't believe what people and kids would resort to, and their pimps.
>
> O.o?ż?ż Was I talking aboot pedophelia?

No, you weren't.
Kid you and a grownup naked just reminded me of what I just saw.
A guy was literally salivating on a photo
then boasting he just had the boy's brother a few days ago.
And the pimp-parents.... -_-

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Feb 23, 2004, 4:59:13 PM2/23/04
On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Chris Sobieniak wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 22, 2004, 12:10am (EST+5), esha...@worldnet.att.net
> (Ethan Hammond) wrote:
> >Oh and I am also a Howard Stern fan and watch
> >his TV show every night. I also watch Bill O Reilly
> >every night too. Ethan is a rich tapestry of
> >diversity.
>
> Great you're a Stern fan. I used to be back when a radio station
> offered his show in my town 7-8 years back. I would listen to it before
> I had to go to colllege or when I happen to be up that morning, or I'd
> tape it and listen to it later (somehow it has become a thing for those

I knew (or know, unless he moved) where he lived.
We used to pass his neighborhood on the way
to playing against his town's HS tennis team.

Ethan Hammond

Feb 23, 2004, 9:04:17 PM2/23/04
"S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <sta...@cif.rochester.edu> wrote in message

>I knew (or know, unless he moved) where he lived.
>We used to pass his neighborhood on the way
>to playing against his town's HS tennis team.

Well Howard got divorced a few years ago.
So it depends on if it was where he used to live
with his wife or not.

Ethan Hammond

Feb 24, 2004, 3:13:46 AM2/24/04
"Chris Sobieniak" <chrism...@webtv.net> wrote in message

>I guess I felt luckier to have it on the radio. Too bad he works for
>Viacom, if they had any brain, they'd put the show online somehow.

Viacom eh, so he is on a CBS affiliate? They should can Dan Rather
and use Stern instead.

>I wouldn't mind paying so much a month to watch a webcast of it every
>morning or something. They could pretty much use the E! cameras and the
>audio from the radio station that can be heard during it, though for the
>ad breaks, they can always go to the audio of the studio while we see
>the guys setting up or leaving and all. Would've been a great idea, but
>sadly knowbody cares for my ideas!

Thats because you don't emphasize them again and again until they have
no choice but to allow it, ALLOW IT!!!! *SHAKES FIST*

>You should! My favorite part in the whole movie is when he gets some
>chick to go nude during his show and he ask her to give him a massage,
>while the WNBC executive (Pig Vomit) orders the show to be cut off,
>forcing Howard to use force!

Was that the part with the first nude woman on radio played by Jenna
Jameson?

Chris Sobieniak

Feb 24, 2004, 1:29:39 PM2/24/04
On Tue, Feb 24, 2004, 2:04am (EST+5), esha...@worldnet.att.net
(Ethan Hammond) wrote:
>"S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <sta...@cif.rochester.edu> wrote
>in message
>>I knew (or know, unless he moved) where he
>>lived. We used to pass his neighborhood on the
>>way to playing against his town's HS tennis team.
>Well Howard got divorced a few years ago. So it
>depends on if it was where he used to live with his
>wife or not.

Sad when that happened.

If I had my way, I'd love to find a way to listen to the show through
any illegitimate ways. I've heard there have been people in Toronto
that waste their phone bills on just calling their friends elsewhere in
Canada, and have them listen to the show my having the phone up at the
radio speaker during the broadcast! I wish Viacom would rot in hell one
day!

Chris Sobieniak

Feb 24, 2004, 1:36:39 PM2/24/04
On Tue, Feb 24, 2004, 8:13am (EST+5), esha...@worldnet.att.net
(Ethan Hammond) wrote:
>"Chris Sobieniak" <chrism...@webtv.net> wrote
>in message
>>I guess I felt luckier to have it on the radio. Too
>>bad he works for Viacom, if they had any brain,
>>they'd put the show online somehow.
>Viacom eh, so he is on a CBS affiliate? They
>should can Dan Rather and use Stern instead.

Heheheh!

Actually Stern's show is being produced through a rradio station that's
owned by Infinity Broadcasting, but Infinity is owned by Viacom for a
number of years now (or it was through CBS, I'm not sure). I just don't
like the kind of conglomeration that occurs like this. The same goes
for the movie theatres in my town as they're all Viacom-dominated
through their own privately-owned "National Amusements", we used to have
a few other chains once in the past, bu today it's all different.

>>I wouldn't mind paying so much a month to watch
>>a webcast of it every morning or something. They
>>could pretty much use the E! cameras and the
>>audio from the radio station that can be heard
>>during it, though for the ad breaks, they can
>>always go to the audio of the studio while we see
>>the guys setting up or leaving and all. Would've
>>been a great idea, but sadly knowbody cares for
>>my ideas!
>Thats because you don't emphasize them again
>and again until they have no choice but to allow it,
>ALLOW IT!!!! *SHAKES FIST*

I would, but it's hard for me to do so since I'm only one person, and I
don't have the kind of money to actually use in th is cause as well.
It's like being the idiot who calls up the local cable company
periodically and ask for this channel to be added. Lord knows it has
took me some 5 years before my cable company added "International
Channel", but then I don't hardly watch it anyway!

>>You should! My favorite part in the whole movie
>>is when he gets some chick to go nude during his
>>show and he ask her to give him a massage,
>>while the WNBC executive (Pig Vomit) orders the
>>show to be cut off, forcing Howard to use force!
>Was that the part with the first nude woman on
>radio played by Jenna Jameson?

I think so. Incidentally when I was in a college film class, I actually
brought in a tape of Private Parts where I showed this and the "Match
Game" scene to the other students there, mainly to show the style of
editing that was put into the shots of each scene and how I favored
them. Typically I don't remember what I migth've said that day, but I
had a lot of fun going up to the projection booth and running the VCRs
to show 'em!

Chris Kuan

Feb 25, 2004, 1:36:38 AM2/25/04
"Ethan Hammond" <esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<lNi_b.75684$hR.15...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...

> "Chris Sobieniak" <chrism...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> >I mean even in Doreamon they show Shinobu chan

> >in the shower and bath and I have a Doreamon
> >movie where this gaijin esque girl who controls
> >giant robots is fully nude.
> >
> >I'm still amused Doraemon got away with this!
>
> That's because Doreamon is hardcore.

Heck, *robots* are hardcore!

(especially with two nude female robots in a bath together. But you knew that.)

--
Chris

Ethan Hammond

Feb 25, 2004, 3:51:40 AM2/25/04
"Chris Kuan" <mrgaz...@bigmailbox.net> wrote in message

> Heck, *robots* are hardcore!
>

> (especially with two nude female robots in a bath together. But you knew
that.)

Damn skippy I did!!!!

napa sensei

Aug 13, 2021, 11:46:19 AM8/13/21
hello anyones whos still active is this a thread about the urusei yatsura animax dub and if so has anyone here got recordings of the brodcast

anthony...@bell.net

Aug 15, 2021, 12:52:31 AM8/15/21
On Friday, August 13, 2021 at 11:46:19 AM UTC-4, napa sensei wrote:
> hello anyones whos still active is this a thread about the urusei yatsura animax dub and if so has anyone here got recordings of the brodcast

Damn - This is an old thread. I don't think that many people remember the dub version. In fact, I doubt many people, other than us Really Old Farts, remember the series at all. It's still my all time favourite, but that's just me. I've got the Warner Brothers Japan Blu-Ray collections, but they are in Japanese only. (And even they are pretty old now.)

Your best bet is to search the various Anime Bit Torrent sites in case someone has posted torrents of the dubs. One never knows, anything is possible on the Net.

Dave Baranyi

Ged

Oct 12, 2021, 8:16:16 PM10/12/21
I made the original post. I'm still alive.

napa sensei

Dec 18, 2021, 6:32:50 PM12/18/21
Hi ged do you happen to have any broadcast recordings I'm asking because I have been looking for the dub to try and archive it