Magical Girl show recommendation

junior-kun

Mar 13, 2006, 3:01:19 PM3/13/06
I like the Magial Girl Pretty Sammy tv show (Magical Project S in
america)

Are there any other shows like it in style? (not counting Sailor Moon)

Derek Janssen

Mar 13, 2006, 4:22:44 PM3/13/06
junior-kun wrote:

Card Captor Sakura is the cutest, while Akazukin Cha-Cha--which pasted
in a nonsensical MG subplot which wasn't in the manga--is the silliest.
(And closer to Pretty Sammy in self-satirical tone.) ^_^

Derek Janssen
eja...@comcast.net

Galen Musbach

Mar 13, 2006, 4:33:38 PM3/13/06
On 13 Mar 2006 12:01:19 -0800, "junior-kun" <junio...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I like the Magial Girl Pretty Sammy tv show (Magical Project S in
>america)
>
>Are there any other shows like it in style? (not counting Sailor Moon)

Released in any particular country?
In general:

Tenchi Muyo: Pretty Sammy/Mihoshi Special DVD (Hyb)

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, Kasumin, Vampiyan Kids,
Princess Knight (all not released in the US)

Cardcaptor Sakura
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/browse/item/67032/4/0/-1092
Retail Price: $99.98
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/browse/item/67515/4/1092/-1092
Your Price: $64.99 (weekly special)

Magical Play
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/browse/item/62852/4/0/-954

Petite Princess Yucie
Angelic Layer
Saint Tail
Nurse Witch Komugi
Pretty Cure

... depending on what particular aspect of the style interested you.
It would help if you could express opinions on WinX, WITCH,
Mew Mew Power, and DoReMi.

-Galen

Derek Janssen

Mar 13, 2006, 4:49:20 PM3/13/06
Galen Musbach wrote:
> On 13 Mar 2006 12:01:19 -0800, "junior-kun" <junio...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>I like the Magial Girl Pretty Sammy tv show (Magical Project S in
>>america)
>>
>>Are there any other shows like it in style? (not counting Sailor Moon)
>
> Magical Play
> Petite Princess Yucie

Girls that do magic, yes, but not particularly Magical Girls--We're
talking Genre, here.

(And "style" was the only thing that kept me from recommending the
"Usagi meets Utena, in leotards" Princess Tutu, as it's a bit of a jump
from Sammy/MPS, but still odd enough for a mention.)

Derek Janssen
dja...@comcast.net

Tsunami

Mar 13, 2006, 5:28:41 PM3/13/06
While strolling carefully through the minefield that is Usenet, on 13

Mar 2006 12:01:19 -0800, "junior-kun" <junio...@gmail.com> wrote:

Puni puni Poemi.... NOT :)
--
Tsunami
If at first you don't succeed, give up skydiving!

Galen Musbach

Mar 13, 2006, 5:56:49 PM3/13/06
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:49:20 -0500, Derek Janssen
<eja...@nospam.comcast.net> wrote:

>Galen Musbach wrote:
>> On 13 Mar 2006 12:01:19 -0800, "junior-kun" <junio...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>I like the Magial Girl Pretty Sammy tv show (Magical Project S in
>>>america)
>>>
>>>Are there any other shows like it in style? (not counting Sailor Moon)
>>
>> Magical Play
>> Petite Princess Yucie
>
>Girls that do magic, yes, but not particularly Magical Girls--We're
>talking Genre, here.

Except that Pretty Sammy is in the "cute girls do cute things" genre.
-Galen

swlucky

Mar 13, 2006, 5:57:57 PM3/13/06

You might also consider Azumanga Daioh. Technically Chiyo Mihama is
not a magical girl but she is abnormally intelligent and flies in Ayumu
"Osaka" Kasuga's fantasys. She reminds me of Sasami.

Pumbaa

Mar 13, 2006, 6:03:10 PM3/13/06
Wedding Peach is now available (entire both seasons) on DVD. The price is
reasonable also. However it might be 'too sweet" for your tastes. However
I like it and have both seasons.

"junior-kun" <junio...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Rob Maxwell

Mar 14, 2006, 6:14:56 AM3/14/06

"Galen Musbach" <musb...@xtn.net> wrote in message

> On 13 Mar 2006 12:01:19 -0800, "junior-kun" <junio...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I like the Magial Girl Pretty Sammy tv show (Magical Project S in
>>america)
>>
>>Are there any other shows like it in style? (not counting Sailor Moon)
> Released in any particular country?
> In general:
>
> Tenchi Muyo: Pretty Sammy/Mihoshi Special DVD (Hyb)
>
> Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha,

Lots of panty flashes but, still good.

Kasumin, Vampiyan Kids,
> Princess Knight (all not released in the US)
>
> Cardcaptor Sakura
> http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/browse/item/67032/4/0/-1092
> Retail Price: $99.98
> http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/browse/item/67515/4/1092/-1092
> Your Price: $64.99 (weekly special)

It is expensive but there's 70 episodes and it is legendary in the Mahou
Shoujo genre.

I didn't like this mainly because the heroine is as just as big a brat as
the villain, the only thing that separates the "good" girl from the bad girl
is that the heroine suddenly realizes the harm she is doing while the bad
girl doesn't.

> Angelic Layer

Actually, this is a warrior battle show for little girls. It's from CLAMP
so, it is a good show to watch for mahou shoujo fans but, is not part of the
genre. I say, "There's magic here but, you'll still enjoy it."

> Saint Tail
> Nurse Witch Komugi

This is a fan service parody of the genre. Made for big boys and not little
girls.

> Pretty Cure

Magic Knight Rayearth - The first series is good, the second series (MKR 2)
is awful.

-Rob

Liz Broadwell

Mar 14, 2006, 8:08:47 AM3/14/06
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 06:14:56 -0500, Rob Maxwell <robu...@excite.com> wrote:
>Magic Knight Rayearth - The first series is good, the second series (MKR 2)
>is awful.

For an alternate opinion: the first series is good, and the second series
very good. All right, both series have their dopey moments and the second
series is very melodramatic, but I didn't particularly mind having my
emotional buttons pushed by it. (I'm a fan of the short life / great name
heroism trope anyway.) I like the way the second series takes the basic
ideas of the first one, turns them ninety degrees and, replaying them,
makes you think about premises you had just accepted the first time
around.

Peace,
Liz

--
Liz Broadwell (username-in-header at orphco dot org), Charter Orphan
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Aya the Vampire Slayer

Mar 14, 2006, 8:47:32 AM3/14/06
junior-kun <junio...@gmail.com> wa:

>I like the Magial Girl Pretty Sammy tv show (Magical Project S in
>america)

>Are there any other shows like it in style? (not counting Sailor Moon)

Magical Kanan...

.

.

.

... okay, not really. ;)

(REALLY not really!)

--
"Care must be exorcised when handring Opiticar System as it is apts to
be sticked by dusts and hand-fat." --Japanese Translators

"Keep your fingers off the lens." --Elton Byington, English Translator

The Eternal Lost Lurker

Mar 14, 2006, 9:17:46 AM3/14/06
> > On 13 Mar 2006 12:01:19 -0800, "junior-kun" <junio...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>I like the Magial Girl Pretty Sammy tv show (Magical Project S in
> >>america)

I recommend "Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan". :)

--
"Sex offender? That's ridiculous.
I've never offended sex in my life!"

Abraham Evangelista

Mar 14, 2006, 10:11:31 AM3/14/06
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:47:32 +0000 (UTC), Aya the Vampire Slayer
<ry...@gehennom.rmv.this.part.net> wrote:

>junior-kun <junio...@gmail.com> wa:
>>I like the Magial Girl Pretty Sammy tv show (Magical Project S in
>>america)
>
>>Are there any other shows like it in style? (not counting Sailor Moon)
>
>Magical Kanan...

Well if you're gonna go that far, I hear Mahou Shojo Ai, and Angel
Blade are good shows. :-)

(JOKE! JOKE! These are NOT what you're looking for!)

--

"ZAKKENAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
Abraham Evangelista

Galen Musbach

Mar 14, 2006, 10:30:51 AM3/14/06
<robu...@excite.com> wrote:

>> Petite Princess Yucie
>
>I didn't like this mainly because the heroine is as just as big a brat as
>the villain, the only thing that separates the "good" girl from the bad girl
>is that the heroine suddenly realizes the harm she is doing while the bad
>girl doesn't.

?
That would be the first disc only, then?

-Galen

Gerardo Campos

Mar 14, 2006, 3:45:52 PM3/14/06
ebro...@see-below-in.sig.thanks (Liz Broadwell) wrote on Tue 14 Mar
2006 07:08:47a:

> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 06:14:56 -0500, Rob Maxwell <robu...@excite.com>
> wrote:
>>Magic Knight Rayearth - The first series is good, the second series
>>(MKR 2) is awful.

<Spoilers for Rayearth>
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

> For an alternate opinion: the first series is good, and the second
> series very good. All right, both series have their dopey moments and
> the second series is very melodramatic, but I didn't particularly mind
> having my emotional buttons pushed by it. (I'm a fan of the short
> life / great name heroism trope anyway.) I like the way the second
> series takes the basic ideas of the first one, turns them ninety
> degrees and, replaying them, makes you think about premises you had
> just accepted the first time around.

Yes, I liked both seasons, at first I though it was a typical magical girl
versus the monster-du-jour with the goal to achieve the ticket to return
home, but it surprised me:

The unexpected end of the first season.
That the story was not the typical mean and bad guy versus the good, naive
and nice guy or gal.
People were actually killed.
Season two, really was a closure of many of the unresolved issues that were
left on season one.

Is there other story, that has a finale similar to season 1 of MKR?

--
Saludos
Gerardo Campos

Bobby Clark

Mar 14, 2006, 5:11:39 PM3/14/06

"Galen Musbach" <musb...@xtn.net> wrote in message
> On 13 Mar 2006 12:01:19 -0800, "junior-kun" <junio...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I like the Magial Girl Pretty Sammy tv show (Magical Project S in
>>america)
>>
>>Are there any other shows like it in style? (not counting Sailor Moon)
> Released in any particular country?
> In general:
>
> Tenchi Muyo: Pretty Sammy/Mihoshi Special DVD (Hyb)
>
> Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, Kasumin, Vampiyan Kids,
> Princess Knight (all not released in the US)
>
> Cardcaptor Sakura
> http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/browse/item/67032/4/0/-1092
> Retail Price: $99.98

Outpost.com has this in stock for $79.

Great links. I did not know those had been released as a box set.

Bobby

Galen Musbach

Mar 14, 2006, 8:30:07 PM3/14/06
<robu...@excite.com> wrote:

>> Nurse Witch Komugi
>
>This is a fan service parody of the genre. Made for big boys and not little
>girls.

Decide for yourself:
http://pages.xtn.net/~musbachgj/Mugi/

(Any interest in the actual snaps?)

-Galen

Chuck Stewart

Mar 14, 2006, 9:35:03 PM3/14/06

>>> Nurse Witch Komugi

OVER HERE! SEND THEM OVER HERE!

*ahem*

Komugi and Koyori... two great tastes that
taste great together!... 8)

--
Chuck Stewart
"Anime-style catgirls: Threat? Menace? Or just studying algebra?"

junior-kun

Mar 14, 2006, 9:54:23 PM3/14/06

I just checked out Akazukin Cha-Cha- which is pretty good. So they
didn't have the whole magical girl transformation thing in the manga?
Was the dark lord not in the manga either? They just felt like
they'd combine it with Sailor Moon or something?

The main characters a magical who turns into a magical girl- she's kind
of a magical girl ^2, odd.

Seems like the manga hasn't been scanlated at all, so I can't compare-
tis a shame.

AstroNerdBoy

Mar 14, 2006, 11:41:42 PM3/14/06

As a "mahou shoujo" title or a parody?

Still, I enjoyed "Ultra Maniac" as a majou shoujo title with a modern
take. "Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha" (and it's sequel) were fun and I
wouldn't mind seeing a 3rd title. "Card Captor Sakura" may be my
favorite genre title though. ^_^

sanjian

Mar 15, 2006, 7:56:30 AM3/15/06

Yes, but could Fate-chan and Nanoha-chan's henshin be any more fetishist?
(mind you, I don't mind a touch of rorikon, but I prefer the lolita's a tad
bit older) The rorikon kind of makes it difficult for me to recommend the
title to friends.

Ah well, at least they didn't have nipple topography (though it would be
funny to let Satoshi Urushihara have a go at the series).

Abraham Evangelista

Mar 15, 2006, 9:03:21 AM3/15/06
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:56:30 -0500, "sanjian" <mill...@vt.edu> wrote:

>AstroNerdBoy wrote:
>> junior-kun wrote:
>>> I like the Magial Girl Pretty Sammy tv show (Magical Project S in
>>> america)
>>>
>>> Are there any other shows like it in style? (not counting Sailor
>>> Moon)
>>
>> As a "mahou shoujo" title or a parody?
>>
>> Still, I enjoyed "Ultra Maniac" as a majou shoujo title with a modern
>> take. "Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha" (and it's sequel) were fun and I
>> wouldn't mind seeing a 3rd title. "Card Captor Sakura" may be my
>> favorite genre title though. ^_^
>
>Yes, but could Fate-chan and Nanoha-chan's henshin be any more fetishist?

The shame of it all is that if it they were both just a tad bit older,
this would be the sexiest henshin ever! Their current age just make
me feel guilty. :-)

>(mind you, I don't mind a touch of rorikon, but I prefer the lolita's a tad
>bit older) The rorikon kind of makes it difficult for me to recommend the
>title to friends.
>
>Ah well, at least they didn't have nipple topography (though it would be
>funny to let Satoshi Urushihara have a go at the series).

Mahou Shoujo Nipple-riffic Nanoha?
--
"ZAKKENAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
Abraham Evangelista

sanjian

Mar 15, 2006, 9:10:02 AM3/15/06
Abraham Evangelista wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:56:30 -0500, "sanjian" <mill...@vt.edu> wrote:

>>> Still, I enjoyed "Ultra Maniac" as a majou shoujo title with a
>>> modern take. "Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha" (and it's sequel) were
>>> fun and I wouldn't mind seeing a 3rd title. "Card Captor Sakura"
>>> may be my favorite genre title though. ^_^
>>
>> Yes, but could Fate-chan and Nanoha-chan's henshin be any more
>> fetishist?
>
> The shame of it all is that if it they were both just a tad bit older,
> this would be the sexiest henshin ever! Their current age just make
> me feel guilty. :-)

Here here. Alas, we didn't get to see High School-aged henshin. That would
have made up for it all. Though there was that one sequence...

>> (mind you, I don't mind a touch of rorikon, but I prefer the
>> lolita's a tad bit older) The rorikon kind of makes it difficult
>> for me to recommend the title to friends.
>>
>> Ah well, at least they didn't have nipple topography (though it
>> would be funny to let Satoshi Urushihara have a go at the series).
>
> Mahou Shoujo Nipple-riffic Nanoha?

Urushihara: You've given me noting to work with! It's like drawing nipples
onto a chalkboard. ;_;

Galen Musbach

Mar 15, 2006, 11:46:33 AM3/15/06
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 02:35:03 GMT, Chuck Stewart
<zapk...@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 20:30:07 -0500, Galen Musbach wrote:

>>>This is a fan service parody of the genre. Made for big boys and not little
>>>girls.
>> Decide for yourself:
>> http://pages.xtn.net/~musbachgj/Mugi/
>
>> (Any interest in the actual snaps?)
>
>OVER HERE! SEND THEM OVER HERE!

http://galensattic.nekomimicon.net/Mugi/

Alex Taylor

Mar 15, 2006, 7:15:19 PM3/15/06
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:14:56 UTC, "Rob Maxwell" <robu...@excite.com> wrote:

> > Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha,
>
> Lots of panty flashes but, still good.

Seems to have been toned down a bit in the second season. (Or maybe
it's just that the second season is SO much better than the first, you
don't notice it as much.)

> Magic Knight Rayearth - The first series is good, the second series (MKR 2)
> is awful.

I wouldn't say the second series is awful -- it has its problems, and IMO the
first season is quite a bit better, but the second is OK if you're willing to
forgive a few things.

But Rayearth is very much not a "cute girls doing cute things" kind of show
in either season. Excellent, but not necessarily the style of thing that
the OP wants.

--
Alex Taylor
http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

Alex Taylor

Mar 15, 2006, 7:56:12 PM3/15/06
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:08:47 UTC, ebro...@see-below-in.sig.thanks (Liz Broadwell) wrote:

> >Magic Knight Rayearth - The first series is good, the second series (MKR 2)
> >is awful.
>
> For an alternate opinion: the first series is good, and the second series
> very good. All right, both series have their dopey moments and the second
> series is very melodramatic, but I didn't particularly mind having my
> emotional buttons pushed by it. (I'm a fan of the short life / great name
> heroism trope anyway.) I like the way the second series takes the basic
> ideas of the first one, turns them ninety degrees and, replaying them,
> makes you think about premises you had just accepted the first time
> around.

I didn't so much think it was a turnaround so much as a fairly logical
continuation of the issues brought up at the end of the first season.

MKR2 is a much "heavier" show than MKR1, and it kind of bogs down and
gets repetitive in the middle part. (In a sense, MKR1 does as well, but
at least in MKR1 you get the constant sense that things are building up
to the denouement... where as there are definite stretches in MKR2 when
not much seems to be happening. MKR1 is considerably shorter, too.)

I don't think MKR2 is 'awful' as Rob does, but I may kind of understand
where he's coming from.

[Fairly minor spoilers for Rayearth season 2]

Other than the repetition, I have two main problems with Rayearth 2.

First, it's supposed to be a major plot point that Nova looks exactly
like Hikaru. The episode recaps constantly mention it. Characters
sometimes (briefly) get them mixed up. And the reason behind it is
vital to the story.

So, as actually drawn and animated, WHY THE HELL DOESN'T NOVA LOOK
ANYTHING LIKE HIKARU?!??!?

Seriously, they don't look remotely alike. Not only does it badly
damage the whole "suspension of disbelief", I think it's such a
sad waste of opportunity. I would have LOVED to have seen an evil
Hikaru. Instead, we get a creepy pink-haired elf in spandex.

My second problem is Hikaru's shocking discovery that she's
(supposedly) in love with Lantis. In love. With LANTIS?

OK, there's two things wrong with that. First of all, at the time
of this realization, she's known Lantis for a grand total of maybe
an HOUR OR TWO. During which time they've exchanged perhaps two
sentences each. (I know it's at least halfway through the season,
but Hikaru's whereabouts have been accounted for at all times, and
she's mostly away on her own. The only interaction they've had are
about three brief encounters which were all interrupted in short
order.)

Second... come on. Lantis? The most pointless and one-dimensional
character in the series? He actually manages to be even less
interesting than Alcyone, which is quite an accomplishment. The guy
does nothing. NOTHING. His entire function is to stand around
looking tall, dark, and depressed.

Speaking as a huge Hikaru fan, giving her Lantis as a love interest
was like a slap in the face. Like CLAMP decided make up some some
token trophy-boy plot device just for the sake of pairing her off.

If they were that desperate, they shoulda stuck with Eagle. He and
Hikaru actually have more chemistry than a pair of wooden blocks. And
their personalities are a much better fit.

Alex Taylor

Mar 15, 2006, 8:05:07 PM3/15/06
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:10:02 UTC, "sanjian" <mill...@vt.edu> wrote:

> >> Ah well, at least they didn't have nipple topography (though it
> >> would be funny to let Satoshi Urushihara have a go at the series).
> >
> > Mahou Shoujo Nipple-riffic Nanoha?
>
> Urushihara: You've given me noting to work with! It's like drawing nipples
> onto a chalkboard. ;_;

I dunno, judging by that very first henshin, Nanoha has pretty
well-developed boobs for a ... come to think of it, are we ever actually
told how old they are? I had this impression they were about twelve.

(ISTR the fan-subs call her a 'third grader', but I know the Japanese
school system numbers its grades differently than in North America.)

sanjian

Mar 15, 2006, 9:21:37 PM3/15/06
Alex Taylor wrote:

>>> Mahou Shoujo Nipple-riffic Nanoha?
>>
>> Urushihara: You've given me noting to work with! It's like drawing
>> nipples onto a chalkboard. ;_;
>
> I dunno, judging by that very first henshin, Nanoha has pretty
> well-developed boobs for a ... come to think of it, are we ever
> actually told how old they are? I had this impression they were
> about twelve.
>
> (ISTR the fan-subs call her a 'third grader', but I know the Japanese
> school system numbers its grades differently than in North America.)

Third grade would be about the same.

Elementary school: First through sixth
Middle School: First through third (US, seventh though freshman)
High School: First though third (US, sophomore through senior)

The Eternal Lost Lurker

Mar 15, 2006, 9:26:00 PM3/15/06

"Alex Taylor" <mai...@reply.to.address> wrote in message

> > Urushihara: You've given me noting to work with! It's like drawing
nipples
> > onto a chalkboard. ;_;
>
> I dunno, judging by that very first henshin, Nanoha has pretty
> well-developed boobs for a ... come to think of it, are we ever actually
> told how old they are? I had this impression they were about twelve.

Try nine. Or at least, Nanoha is.

AstroNerdBoy

Mar 16, 2006, 2:35:26 AM3/16/06

sanjian wrote:
> AstroNerdBoy wrote:
> > junior-kun wrote:
> >> I like the Magial Girl Pretty Sammy tv show (Magical Project S in
> >> america)
> >>
> >> Are there any other shows like it in style? (not counting Sailor
> >> Moon)
> >
> > As a "mahou shoujo" title or a parody?
> >
> > Still, I enjoyed "Ultra Maniac" as a majou shoujo title with a modern
> > take. "Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha" (and it's sequel) were fun and I
> > wouldn't mind seeing a 3rd title. "Card Captor Sakura" may be my
> > favorite genre title though. ^_^
>
> Yes, but could Fate-chan and Nanoha-chan's henshin be any more fetishist?

Yes, it could have. :-P But then I guess this is an otaku mahou
shoujo title which is why we got what we got.

Except for CLAMP possibly not allowing it, I wonder if CCS were done
today, would it be more fetishy?

-ANB

--
Tenchi Muyo! FAQ

The Eternal Lost Lurker

Mar 16, 2006, 3:54:25 AM3/16/06

"AstroNerdBoy" <sp...@astronerdboy.com> wrote in message

> Except for CLAMP possibly not allowing it, I wonder if CCS were done
> today, would it be more fetishy?

Uh...CCS is already PLENTY fetishy as-is... :P

Aya the Vampire Slayer

Mar 16, 2006, 8:26:56 AM3/16/06
Alex Taylor <mai...@reply.to.address> wa:

>I didn't so much think it was a turnaround so much as a fairly logical
>continuation of the issues brought up at the end of the first season.

>MKR2 is a much "heavier" show than MKR1, and it kind of bogs down and
>gets repetitive in the middle part. (In a sense, MKR1 does as well, but
>at least in MKR1 you get the constant sense that things are building up
>to the denouement... where as there are definite stretches in MKR2 when
>not much seems to be happening. MKR1 is considerably shorter, too.)

I only recently FINALLY saw all of Rayearth 2 (I had been trying to see
all of Rayearth 2 back since the era of VHS fansubs). Boy were there
parts of it that were difficult to get through. >_<

>I don't think MKR2 is 'awful' as Rob does, but I may kind of understand
>where he's coming from.

I liked the soundtrack! ^_^;;;

>[Fairly minor spoilers for Rayearth season 2]

...and comments from me....

>like Hikaru. The episode recaps constantly mention it. Characters
>sometimes (briefly) get them mixed up. And the reason behind it is
>vital to the story.

>So, as actually drawn and animated, WHY THE HELL DOESN'T NOVA LOOK
>ANYTHING LIKE HIKARU?!??!?

I found this kind of odd too. I like Nova's character design, but even I
don't think she looks like Hikaru either. Certainly not enough for them
to be mistaken for each other. ESPECIALLY by people who know Hikaru
well. I mean what the hell?

It's almost like it's making fun of the mahou shoujo genre since we have
sailor moon looking just like herself in and out of costume, and yet
people still can't make a connection even though they've seen both???
You've got to be kidding me! ;P

>Seriously, they don't look remotely alike. Not only does it badly
>damage the whole "suspension of disbelief", I think it's such a
>sad waste of opportunity. I would have LOVED to have seen an evil
>Hikaru. Instead, we get a creepy pink-haired elf in spandex.

At least this concept was pulled off correctly in Fushigi Yuugi OVA2,
and heart-wrenchingly at that.

But I will say no more, to avoid spoilers...

>My second problem is Hikaru's shocking discovery that she's
>(supposedly) in love with Lantis. In love. With LANTIS?

>OK, there's two things wrong with that. First of all, at the time
>of this realization, she's known Lantis for a grand total of maybe
>an HOUR OR TWO. During which time they've exchanged perhaps two
>sentences each. (I know it's at least halfway through the season,
>but Hikaru's whereabouts have been accounted for at all times, and
>she's mostly away on her own. The only interaction they've had are
>about three brief encounters which were all interrupted in short
>order.)

I know they go out "searching for the new pillar" together and I think
it is implied at this point that "time passes". Perhaps not months or
anything like that, but it's more than just a couple of hours I think.

I do agree though, they can't just throw in a love interest without any
on-screen interaction or other types of relationship building between
the two. It just makes it feel fake and lame.

And the sad part is that it doesn't really take much, especially given
the amount of time they wasted farting around doing boring, repetitive
stuff. They could've given Hikaru an introspection when she first meets
Lantis that approximates "wow, he's cool!" and have her blush and all
that, and then later when she finds out he's the brooding brother of
Zagato, whose death she was involved in...

But instead they have her act like she's embarrassed to have the brother
of someone she took part in murdering around. And acts like if she can
get Lantis to accept her then that will allow her to slough off her
guilt for having contributed to the death of Zagato. I certainly didn't
see any attraction at all on Lantis's part up to and including when he
admits he loves her. I mean where the hell did that come from? He's also
twice as tall as her, which is just disturbing.

But honestly, he also needed a real role, a real purpose for returning
to Cephiro that involved him showing some emotion. If he was so
determined to get rid of the pillar system, then couldn't he have been a
little more passionate about it??

>Second... come on. Lantis? The most pointless and one-dimensional
>character in the series? He actually manages to be even less
>interesting than Alcyone, which is quite an accomplishment. The guy
>does nothing. NOTHING. His entire function is to stand around
>looking tall, dark, and depressed.

Girls like that. And in the end, isn't this manga/anime targeted at
girls? But you're right, he doesn't really have a point in the story,
and doesn't really do anything of interest. The girls had easily decided
that the Pillar system was a dumb idea on their own, after taking part
in the murder of two innocent people who were simply in love with each
other. They didn't need Lantis for that.

Anyway, you can't have a dark, brooding bishi guy without tossing in
some kind of goal that he is very passionate about. Chicks like the
"driven" part of men too, so that they can come conquer his fixation
with said goal by redirecting the passion he feels toward themselves. Or
whatever. I'm sure Liz or Laurie could explain this better than me.

>If they were that desperate, they shoulda stuck with Eagle. He and
>Hikaru actually have more chemistry than a pair of wooden blocks. And
>their personalities are a much better fit.

I tend to not like the nurturing bishi guys as much as the badass,
assholish bishi guys, but in this case I liked Eagle much better. If
Lantis had had a personality and an ACTUAL part in the show where he,
y'know, did stuff that was important to the plot, it would have been
much more interesting. And throw in a love triangle between Lantis,
Hikaru and Eagle, and you have something that would have entertained me
much more than the real Rayearth 2 did. Certainly, you couldn't get much
worse than a lot of the boring crap they wasted time on in the real
show.

I also didn't like that the ending to season 2 was as predictable as the
first season's ending was not.

Galen Musbach

Mar 16, 2006, 9:33:47 AM3/16/06
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 13:26:56 +0000 (UTC), Aya the Vampire Slayer
<ry...@gehennom.rmv.this.part.net> wrote:

spoiler
space

>Anyway, you can't have a dark, brooding bishi guy without tossing in
>some kind of goal that he is very passionate about.

He could have been passionate about saving Eagle's life,
which could only be done by allowing him to become Pillar.
As it was, forces in favor of continuing the Pillar system
were all but non-existent.

-Galen

sanjian

Mar 16, 2006, 10:09:33 AM3/16/06
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
> sanjian wrote:
>> AstroNerdBoy wrote:

>>> As a "mahou shoujo" title or a parody?
>>>
>>> Still, I enjoyed "Ultra Maniac" as a majou shoujo title with a
>>> modern take. "Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha" (and it's sequel) were
>>> fun and I wouldn't mind seeing a 3rd title. "Card Captor Sakura"
>>> may be my favorite genre title though. ^_^
>>
>> Yes, but could Fate-chan and Nanoha-chan's henshin be any more
>> fetishist?
>
> Yes, it could have. :-P But then I guess this is an otaku mahou
> shoujo title which is why we got what we got.

Well, that and it's a spin-off from a series with some H roots.

(Now, children, to find the H root of a number, you must first convert to
polar form, then raise the number to the 1/H power...)

Derek Janssen

Mar 16, 2006, 12:05:54 PM3/16/06
The Eternal Lost Lurker wrote:
> "AstroNerdBoy" <sp...@astronerdboy.com> wrote in message
>
>>Except for CLAMP possibly not allowing it, I wonder if CCS were done
>>today, would it be more fetishy?
>

> Uh...CCS is already PLENTY fetishy as-is... :P

(...Ah, getting back to our old classics, huh?) :)

Derek Janssen (gee, somebody *else* had to go and recommend the hentai
title to the newbie thread and ruin your fun?)
eja...@comcast.net

Rob Kelk

Mar 16, 2006, 6:38:58 PM3/16/06
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:54:25 GMT, "The Eternal Lost Lurker"
<kuraebakayaro...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"AstroNerdBoy" <sp...@astronerdboy.com> wrote in message
>> Except for CLAMP possibly not allowing it, I wonder if CCS were done
>> today, would it be more fetishy?
>
>Uh...CCS is already PLENTY fetishy as-is... :P

But nowhere near as fetish-y as is "Miyuki-chan in Wonderland"...

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

AstroNerdBoy

Mar 18, 2006, 6:32:31 AM3/18/06

Rob Kelk wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:54:25 GMT, "The Eternal Lost Lurker"
> <kuraebakayaro...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

> >"AstroNerdBoy" <sp...@astronerdboy.com> wrote in message
> >> Except for CLAMP possibly not allowing it, I wonder if CCS were done
> >> today, would it be more fetishy?
> >
> >Uh...CCS is already PLENTY fetishy as-is... :P
>
> But nowhere near as fetish-y as is "Miyuki-chan in Wonderland"...

Yeah, that's sorta what I was thinking (though had I been smart, I
would have cited the title).

Hmmmm...I may have to re-watch CCS after I've finished all of "Kimagure
Orange Road."

-ANB

--
Tenchi Muyo! FAQ
http://www.astronerdboy.com/tenchi/

Alex Taylor

Mar 18, 2006, 5:46:02 PM3/18/06
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 13:26:56 UTC, Aya the Vampire Slayer
<ry...@gehennom.rmv.this.part.net> wrote:

> >I don't think MKR2 is 'awful' as Rob does, but I may kind of understand
> >where he's coming from.
>
> I liked the soundtrack! ^_^;;;

Oh, so did I! The soundtrack is fantasic.

In fact, Rayearth is one of my all-time favourite anime scores.

> >[Fairly minor spoilers for Rayearth season 2]

[Plus major spoilers for Rayearth season 1]

> >WHY THE HELL DOESN'T NOVA LOOK ANYTHING LIKE HIKARU?!??!?
>
> I found this kind of odd too. I like Nova's character design, but even I
> don't think she looks like Hikaru either. Certainly not enough for them
> to be mistaken for each other. ESPECIALLY by people who know Hikaru
> well. I mean what the hell?
>
> It's almost like it's making fun of the mahou shoujo genre since we have
> sailor moon looking just like herself in and out of costume, and yet
> people still can't make a connection even though they've seen both???
> You've got to be kidding me! ;P

At least that one's a well-established Superhero Principle...

> At least this concept was pulled off correctly in Fushigi Yuugi OVA2,
> and heart-wrenchingly at that.
>
> But I will say no more, to avoid spoilers...

Appreciated, thanks.

> >My second problem is Hikaru's shocking discovery that she's
> >(supposedly) in love with Lantis. In love. With LANTIS?
>
> >OK, there's two things wrong with that. First of all, at the time
> >of this realization, she's known Lantis for a grand total of maybe
> >an HOUR OR TWO. During which time they've exchanged perhaps two
> >sentences each.
>

> I know they go out "searching for the new pillar" together and I think
> it is implied at this point that "time passes". Perhaps not months or
> anything like that, but it's more than just a couple of hours I think.

I thought they were about half an hour out of the castle, myself.
I haven't watched it in a while, but can't you still see the castle
in the background behind them?

> >Second... come on. Lantis? The most pointless and one-dimensional
> >character in the series? He actually manages to be even less
> >interesting than Alcyone, which is quite an accomplishment. The guy
> >does nothing. NOTHING. His entire function is to stand around
> >looking tall, dark, and depressed.
>
> Girls like that. And in the end, isn't this manga/anime targeted at
> girls?

Girls like monosyllabic introverts with no discernable personality?
That doesn't really jibe with my experience... such as it is, anyway. -_-;

> But you're right, he doesn't really have a point in the story,
> and doesn't really do anything of interest.

Indeed. He's the most completely useless character. They could
have written him right out of the story with nothing lost.

> The girls had easily decided that the Pillar system was a dumb idea
> on their own, after taking part in the murder of two innocent people
> who were simply in love with each other.

Zagato wasn't exactly "innocent". And I'd be hard pressed to call it
murder, since by that time he was quite prepared to kill them.

As for Emeraude, she ultimately committed suicide. Assisted suicide,
if you like.

> Anyway, you can't have a dark, brooding bishi guy without tossing in
> some kind of goal that he is very passionate about. Chicks like the
> "driven" part of men too, so that they can come conquer his fixation
> with said goal by redirecting the passion he feels toward themselves. Or
> whatever. I'm sure Liz or Laurie could explain this better than me.

Whatever indeed. I've never understood the rules of that game, and I
pretty much gave up trying years ago.

> I also didn't like that the ending to season 2 was as predictable as the
> first season's ending was not.

Yeah, there's that, too.

Although I did quite like the ending, mainly because they avoided falling
into the overused cliche of having them _stay_ in the magical otherworld
(and hence completely abandoning their lives at home, and everyone who
cares about them there). Nope, they get to go home again, and more power
to them.

Funnily enough, the AnimeonDVD reviewer seems to have hated it for that
very reason...

Gerardo Campos

Mar 20, 2006, 12:17:50 PM3/20/06
Aya the Vampire Slayer <ry...@gehennom.rmv.this.part.net> wrote on Thu
16 Mar 2006 07:26:56a:

> I liked the soundtrack! ^_^;;;

MKR soundtrack is one of my favorites, I just need to get the CD that
contains "Emeraude Song" or something called like that.

>>[Fairly minor spoilers for Rayearth season 2]
> ...and comments from me....

>>like Hikaru. The episode recaps constantly mention it. Characters
>>sometimes (briefly) get them mixed up. And the reason behind it is
>>vital to the story.
>
>>So, as actually drawn and animated, WHY THE HELL DOESN'T NOVA LOOK
>>ANYTHING LIKE HIKARU?!??!?
>
> I found this kind of odd too. I like Nova's character design, but even
> I don't think she looks like Hikaru either. Certainly not enough for
> them to be mistaken for each other. ESPECIALLY by people who know
> Hikaru well. I mean what the hell?
>
> It's almost like it's making fun of the mahou shoujo genre since we
> have sailor moon looking just like herself in and out of costume, and
> yet people still can't make a connection even though they've seen
> both??? You've got to be kidding me! ;P

I always though that it was kinda of a joke, when they say that they both
looked exactly the same, and I have found that they throw jokes in at
unexpected moments

>>Seriously, they don't look remotely alike. Not only does it badly
>>damage the whole "suspension of disbelief", I think it's such a
>>sad waste of opportunity. I would have LOVED to have seen an evil
>>Hikaru. Instead, we get a creepy pink-haired elf in spandex.

<snip FY comment>

>>My second problem is Hikaru's shocking discovery that she's
>>(supposedly) in love with Lantis. In love. With LANTIS?
>
>>OK, there's two things wrong with that. First of all, at the time
>>of this realization, she's known Lantis for a grand total of maybe
>>an HOUR OR TWO. During which time they've exchanged perhaps two
>>sentences each. (I know it's at least halfway through the season,
>>but Hikaru's whereabouts have been accounted for at all times, and
>>she's mostly away on her own. The only interaction they've had are
>>about three brief encounters which were all interrupted in short
>>order.)
>
> I know they go out "searching for the new pillar" together and I think
> it is implied at this point that "time passes". Perhaps not months or
> anything like that, but it's more than just a couple of hours I think.

They had to wait that a rain to stop, before continuing.

> I do agree though, they can't just throw in a love interest without
> any on-screen interaction or other types of relationship building
> between the two. It just makes it feel fake and lame.

She is 14 years old, just for the looks she may get infautated, and maybe
an interest sparked when she saw Clef frown.

> And the sad part is that it doesn't really take much, especially given
> the amount of time they wasted farting around doing boring, repetitive
> stuff. They could've given Hikaru an introspection when she first
> meets Lantis that approximates "wow, he's cool!" and have her blush
> and all that, and then later when she finds out he's the brooding
> brother of Zagato, whose death she was involved in...

I recall Hikaru blushed, in the same rain scene, above.

> But instead they have her act like she's embarrassed to have the
> brother of someone she took part in murdering around. And acts like if
> she can get Lantis to accept her then that will allow her to slough
> off her guilt for having contributed to the death of Zagato. I
> certainly didn't see any attraction at all on Lantis's part up to and
> including when he admits he loves her. I mean where the hell did that
> come from? He's also twice as tall as her, which is just disturbing.

She asked Lantis to punish her, for her involvment in killing his
brother, but, you are right on your comment above.

> But honestly, he also needed a real role, a real purpose for returning
> to Cephiro that involved him showing some emotion. If he was so
> determined to get rid of the pillar system, then couldn't he have been
> a little more passionate about it??

His problem was to find a solution on how to elliminate the pillar
system, without destroying the planet or at least avoid to have to kill
the inhabitants in the process, also the cold reception that he received
did not help him to open himself and express his plan.

>>Second... come on. Lantis? The most pointless and one-dimensional
>>character in the series? He actually manages to be even less
>>interesting than Alcyone, which is quite an accomplishment. The guy
>>does nothing. NOTHING. His entire function is to stand around
>>looking tall, dark, and depressed.
>
> Girls like that. And in the end, isn't this manga/anime targeted at
> girls? But you're right, he doesn't really have a point in the story,
> and doesn't really do anything of interest. The girls had easily
> decided that the Pillar system was a dumb idea on their own, after
> taking part in the murder of two innocent people who were simply in
> love with each other. They didn't need Lantis for that.
>
> Anyway, you can't have a dark, brooding bishi guy without tossing in
> some kind of goal that he is very passionate about. Chicks like the
> "driven" part of men too, so that they can come conquer his fixation
> with said goal by redirecting the passion he feels toward themselves.
> Or whatever. I'm sure Liz or Laurie could explain this better than me.

In other words, Lantis is just fan service?

>>If they were that desperate, they shoulda stuck with Eagle. He and
>>Hikaru actually have more chemistry than a pair of wooden blocks. And
>>their personalities are a much better fit.
>
> I tend to not like the nurturing bishi guys as much as the badass,
> assholish bishi guys, but in this case I liked Eagle much better. If
> Lantis had had a personality and an ACTUAL part in the show where he,
> y'know, did stuff that was important to the plot, it would have been
> much more interesting. And throw in a love triangle between Lantis,
> Hikaru and Eagle, and you have something that would have entertained
> me much more than the real Rayearth 2 did. Certainly, you couldn't get
> much worse than a lot of the boring crap they wasted time on in the
> real show.

I liked Eagle, too. And he was not really a bad ass, he was civil most of
the time, but caused conflict with his personal agenda and the short time
he had to meet it.

> I also didn't like that the ending to season 2 was as predictable as
> the first season's ending was not.

Agree on this,

--
Saludos