[Ranma][Fanfic] Daigakusei no Ranma - Episode 17

Ranma Saotome

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

These walls I live inside
Protect me from hatred and lies
And these walls have made me strong
But it's not where I belong

I hear you knocking but can't let you in
I don't know how it's gonna end
But these walls, they set me free
Kept me safe and sheltered me

Here's where the road begins
Got to reach out if I'm gonna win
Gotta know how - I'm old enough now
Never gonna feel this way again

No, I'm never gonna hide behind these walls again

+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
| Daigakusei no Ranma |
| |
| Created by David Tai and Paul Gallegos |
| |
| Based on the characters created by Rumiko Takahashi |
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

-= Episode 17: "Spiritual Arrival" =-

[Mid-afternoon. Akane turns the corner and walks up to the front door of Maison
Sabaku where Kazuyo is sweeping.]

Akane: [cheerfully] Konnichiwa, Kanrinin-san!

Kazuyo: [smiling] Konnichiwa, Akane.

Akane: [looks at the yard] It's a nice day today!

Kazuyo: Hai. It reminds me of the day that Sato-san left on his voyage.

Akane: [turns to Kazuyo] Is Sato-san ever going to come back?

Kazuyo: [smiles] Hai. He's due back any day now.

[Hitomi comes bouncing out the front door in her work clothes and sporting a
new pair of Ray-Bans with a smile.]

Hitomi: Kanrinin-san, are we going to have a party when Sato-san returns?
[bounces down sidewalk]

Kazuyo: Of course, Hitomi-chan. It'll be nice to have him back again.

Akane: Sato-san must be a really nice person.

Hitomi: [over her shoulder] He's the greatest! Ja ne!

Akane: [smiles] Hmm. Well, if you need any help in the kitchen, Kanrinin-san,
please let me know.

[Kazuyo hesitates in her sweeping a moment, then blinks and nods. Akane smiles
and walks inside the building.]

* * *

[Mizunoikan University, mid-afternoon. Ranma is walking along after class,
headed for the main gate. Along the way he sees Ukyou sitting in the grass,
reading.]

Ranma: Konnichiwa, Ucchan.

Ukyou: [looks up] Konnichiwa, Ran-chan. [smiles] How are you?

Ranma: [looks around] Oh, ok. I'm done for the day, so I thought I'd head home.

Ukyou: Um... I was just about to pack up for home myself. [puts down
book] What did your advisor tell you?

Ranma: He recommended seppuku.

Ukyou: [shocked] What?

Ranma: Well, that's what it comes down to.

Ukyou: Can't you drop the classes and add new ones?

Ranma: [sighs] Yeah, if I don't go mad dealing with Tarasawa-kyouju first.
He chewed me out for half an hour over the whole thing. I think he'd
kick me to the moon, but he's as stuck with me as I am with him. I'm
gonna try and see if one of the coaches can be my advisor, 'cause I
can't stand any more of the one I have.

Ukyou: Did he at least help you figure out some new classes you can take?

Ranma: I had to fight with him over it, but I think we worked out a decent
schedule. Assuming I can get any of it.

Ukyou: Have you been able to make up all the work from the classes you
missed?

Ranma: [groans] I've got way too much to do. At least I didn't fall too far
behind. I'm gonna need a lot of help.

Ukyou: [finally gets up] I'll help you as much as I can, Ran-chan.

Ranma: Thanks, Ucchan. I have to work on some poems for Japanese Comp. Do you
think you can help me tonight?

Ukyou: Sure! I'm always around... [hesitantly] when you need me.

Ranma: [smiles] I'm lucky to have a friend like you.

[Ukyou breaks into a warm smile and then leans against Ranma with her head on
his shoulder. Ranma turns a shade of red and puts his hand behind his head.]

Ranma: Wh... what was that for?

Ukyou: [smiles] Just my way of saying "thank you".

[Ukyou grabs her pack, and the two leave together, Ukyou latched onto Ranma's
arm.]

* * *

[Evening. Junko, Shirow, Makiko, Akane, and Hitomi exit from a movie theater.
Hitomi and Makiko are chattering away about the movie they just saw, while
Junko and Shirow walk behind them, arms around each other, whispering quietly.
Akane walks quietly in the rear, frowning slightly.]

Makiko: Uso! Kanazawa Akira is way better than Yamamoto Toshifumi! I mean,
just look at "Return to Neo-Tokyo II"!

Hitomi: Iya! Yamamoto is way cooler! [turns around] What do you think, Akane?

Akane: [blinks] Actually... I don't think either of them are that great.

Hitomi: [turns back around] Well, I still think that the movie was better,
simply because Yamamoto was in it. [over her shoulder] Too bad
Ranma-kun couldn't come along.

Junko: Hey, yeah. Where is Ranma, anyway?

Akane: [grumpily] Trying to catch up on all that homework he missed.

Hitomi: From what?

Akane: [rolls her eyes] His brilliant and oh so successful effort to learn
chess so he could beat Kunou for the one billionth time.

Makiko: [blinks] So that's why Ukyou made all that food. She said she had too
much homework to come, but I was wondering what she needed all that
food for. It smelled so good.

[Akane clenches her fists and starts to speak...]

Shirow: [interrupting] Speaking of food, where are we going right now? I'm
getting kind of hungry.

Junko: Same here.

Makiko: Now that you mention it... I haven't eaten anything since breakfast!

[As the group stops to discuss this change in plans, a strong wind blows up
from the east, tossing papers, leaves and dust around the street. The group
covers their eyes and shivers in the cold wind. Electricity up and down the
street begins to flicker and sparks fly from nearby street lamps. Just as
suddenly as it began, however, the wind dies down leaving the group to stare
in wonder at the sky.]

* * *

[Sparks fly along a phone line, accompanied by a rushing wind. The sparks run
into the line leading into a familiar house.]

* * *

[Toshi sits at his table, reading the newspaper.]

Toshi: Hmm. Looks like the Hiroshima Carps are supposed to have a good year
next year. Of course, they always say that.

[His phone rings.]

Toshi: [puts down the paper] Hmph. You try to sit down and relax and the phone
always rings. [picks up the phone] Moshi moshi?

[There is an loud annoying buzzing noise.]

Toshi: Hello? [thinking] This is worse than the time I got a call from
someone's answering machine.

[The window blows open and a cold wind blows through the room, scattering
papers and knick-knacks everywhere.]

Toshi: [angrily] Stupid window! I thought I closed that!

[The door to the hallway blows open and the wind dies down. As it passes,
everything settles back into the place where it was before. In fact, the room
is even more neat and tidy, if that was possible.]

Toshi: [rubbing his eyes] What in tarnation? [picking the phone back up, he
hears only the dial tone] Baah. They hung up. Stupid phone.
[looks around the room] I must have imagined that wind. This place
looks better than before. I guess I need to get more sleep.
[goes back to his paper] Now, where was I?

* * *

[Ukyou and Makiko's room. Ukyou is perched up on her bed, while Ranma is
sitting on Makiko's bed. There is a card table between them with a plate full
of miscellaneous foodstuffs and two cups of lemonade.]

Ranma: [nervously] Here's what I have.

Ukyou: [nods] Let's hear it.

Ranma: When I speak to her
*Pow!*, she hits me in the head
So I keep silent

Ukyou: [blinks] I take it you haven't read this one to Akane?

Ranma: Eh, nani? [blinks, then laughs nervously] You're the first person to
hear it.

Ukyou: Akane will kill you if she ever hears it. Not bad other than that.
Got any other ones?

Ranma: Lessee... [pauses, then declaims]
Like the rising sun,
I see her smiling at me.
A new day begins.

Ukyou: A bit cliched, but good. I think Akane would like that one better.

Ranma: [a little surprised] Yeah, I guess she would.

Ukyou: [smiling faintly] You need one more, right?

Ranma: Yeah, I can't think of anything.

Ukyou: [taps a pencil rhythmically against her leg] Hmm.

Ranma: It's supposed to be one about anger, one about love, one about
fear.

Ukyou: [grins] Well, we both know what you fear.

Ranma: [shudders] Yeah... [suddenly thoughtful] I've got it! [hastily
scribbles on his paper]

Ukyou: [writing as Ranma writes] Now I feel inspired too.

[They both write for a while, then look up at each other.]

Ukyou: You first.

Ranma: Slinking in the dark
She still stalks me as her prey.
Oh, how I hate cats.

Ukyou: [collapses laughing on the bed] If Shampoo ever hears that, she'll
kill you.

Ranma: I never realized being a poet was so dangerous. [pauses] Back in high
school, she'd have been perched in the window and heard the whole
thing.

Ukyou: [smiles] Or Kodachi would be lurking on the ceiling and say something
like [stands, waving an imaginary ribbon and speaking in a high
pitched maniacal voice] HOHOHOHOOHOHOHOHO! Ranma-sama! Let me take
you away from that horrid spatula girl!

Ranma: [animatedly] And I'd say something like, [fake paralytic pose,
hokey voice of fear] Uh, Kodachi, I'm uh... busy right now... uh...

Ukyou: [getting into it] And then I'd grab my spatula and knock her into the
next district! [makes gestures like she's scooping up Kodachi and
pitching her out the window]

Ranma: [laughs] We really had a lot of fun beating each other up.

Ukyou: [smiles and nods] I guess we do have some good memories to look
back on.

Ranma: So let's hear your poem!

Ukyou: [looks at her poem, then looks nervous] Um, okay.

Ranma: Something wrong?

Ukyou: [hesitatingly] It's kind of sad.

Ranma: I don't mind.

Ukyou: Here it is. [holds the paper at arm's length and declaims in dramatic
style]
I hear a bell ring
The one that freed me daily
No longer frees me.

Ranma: Wow! That's really good. Yeah, I still do wacky stuff when I hear
bells, even after being out of school for a year. [puts down his paper]
I guess I need help with history now.

Ukyou: Hai!

[Ukyou puts down her paper. It does not have the poem she just recited on it.
Rather, it has these words:

I gave up my hate.
But you didn't want my love.
What do I do now?

Ukyou grabs a snack as Ranma begins paging through his history book looking
for the assigned reading.]

* * *

[The moon shines in through the window into the upstairs hallway of Maison
Sabaku. Slowly, dust particles filter down through the moonbeam, landing on
the hallway floor, slowly forming an ornate pattern, an arrow pointed at door
#4. Bashing and banging noises come closer to the door, which suddenly flies
open. Warm air boils out into the cold hallway, scattering the dust. Ranma
flies out the door and crashes to the ground.]

Akane: What an evil poem!

Ranma: [groaning and sitting up] I said to read the other one! The other one!

Akane: What other one?

Ranma: The one under it, you baka!

Akane: [surprised] Oh, wait, I guess there _is_ another one.

Ranma: [stomping into the room] See? I told you.

[He slams the door, further scattering the dust.]

* * *

[Mizunoikan University, morning. The view pans down from a grand shot of the
campus, to focusing on one building in particular. Cut to in a hallway, where
Ranma and Ukyou exit from a classroom and walk out of the building.]

Ranma: [sighs and hefts backpack] Sometimes I wish homework had never been
invented. [grumbles]

Ukyou: [shrugs] I guess that's just college. [smiles] Just think... it only
gets harder.

Ranma: [groans] Great. Just what I needed to hear. At least I got my poems
written. When are yours due, Ucchan?

Ukyou: Tomorrow. I still have to write the fear one.

Ranma: [thinks, then speaks] You know, I have no idea what you're afraid of.

Ukyou: [smiles] Maybe I have no fears.

[Ranma sticks out his tongue at Ukyou. She laughs and runs. He chases her
towards the Student Union. Following them is a tall stranger dressed in grey
with short brown hair, wearing casual clothing, who in turn is followed by
several female underclassmen with starry-eyed looks. As if on cue, all the
females sigh, causing Ranma and Ukyou to cease their merry chase and look for
the source. The figure in grey stops in front of Ranma.]

Man: You are Saotome Ranma, ne?

Ranma: [slowly moving in front of Ukyou] Who wants to know?

Man: The fate of this world depends on you, Saotome. A great evil has come
upon us, and I fear it has followed me back here. I need your help,
to defeat this evil. It was foretold that you would be my ally.

Ranma: [blinks] Uh-huh. By any chance do you know Tendo Nabiki?

Man: [looks confused] Who?

Ranma: Never mind. [pauses] Just who are you anyway?

Man: I am Sato Ichiro. I reside at Maison Sabaku, as do you.

Ranma: [jaw drops and he points at Sato] You... you're Sato-san??

Sato: [bows] At your service.

* * *

[Later, Ranma, Ukyou, and Sato sit quietly in a booth at Chez Funsui, while
dozens of young women gather at the window, trying to get a glimpse of Sato.
Hitomi calmly pulls the shades closed and smiles at Ranma, who smiles
uncomfortably back.]

Hitomi: This always happens when Sato comes to eat here.

Voice from the kitchen: Order for table five is ready.

[As Hitomi walks back into the kitchen, Ranma looks back at Ukyou, who seems
to be staring intently at Sato.]

Ukyou: Is there any reason why all those girls have been following you around?

Sato: [sips tea] I know not.

Ukyou: Hmm... there's something about you though... [taps fingers on table]

Ranma: So... Sato-san... you're saying that this evil spirit wants revenge and
might be nearby? What does that have to do with me?

Sato: [sets teacup down] It was foretold that the one named "Saotome" would
defeat this evil.

Ranma: Uh-huh. Are you sure you don't know Nabiki?

Sato: Who is this Nabiki who concerns you so?

Ranma: My sister-in-law.

Sato: Why do you keep asking about her?

Ranma: It sounds like something she would tell me to try to trick me into
doing something.

Sato: It is tragedy to see strife within a family.

Ranma: [thought] It is tragedy to be constantly conned and cheated by family
too. [out loud] So how do you know it's me and not some other Saotome?
There's certainly enough of us.

Sato: You are the only one here.

Ranma: Uh...yeah. Well, how do you know it has to be a Saotome here?

Sato: Fate cannot be denied. If you were not the one, I would have found my
way to the one whose destiny it is to do battle with the spirit. But it
is you that I have found.

Ranma: Whaddya need me for?

Sato: It is a Saotome that must defeat it, such is the prophecy. I am merely
the prophet's messenger. I will assist you in any way I am able.

Ukyou: [softly] I'll help too.

Sato: [to Ukyou] Great is the threat to your very soul, should you choose this
path. Do you know what it is you risk?

Ukyou: [nods] Ran-chan's my friend. I'll help.

Ranma: [looks at Ukyou] Ucchan, you really don't have to...

Ukyou: [interrupts] I want to. [smiles at Ranma] Besides, who else knows you
better than I do? We fight well together, ne?

Ranma: [grins] Hai. But I haven't said yes to this yet.

Ukyou: How can you say no? If he is right, it has to know what its doom is
supposed to be. It will come looking for you.

Ranma: [nervously] Good point. [to Sato] Ok, tell me all about this... spirit.

Sato: [grimly] It is called Kurakujanen. Many hundreds of years ago, my
ancestors fought Kurakujanen and thought to have destroyed him. However,
he cursed them, saying that he would take revenge on my family and kill
them all. One by one, they were murdered by Kurakujanen, until my great-
great-great-grandfather was able to defeat him and send him back to the
netherworlds. It was then prophesied that he would return, only to be
defeated by the one called Saotome.

Ranma: [sighs] Great. If you hadn't told me this, I would have SWORN that Pop
had something to do with it.

Sato: [gets up] Come, we must prepare ourselves for the arrival of Kurakujanen.

[Ranma and Ukyou look at each other for a moment, then follow Sato out of the
kissaten.]

Ukyou: I'll meet you at Maison Sabaku. I need to get a few things. And drop
off my schoolbag.

Ranma: Okay. See you in a little while.

* * *

[Ukyou and Makiko's room. Makiko enters and hears showering noises.]

Makiko: [thought] Why is she showering in the middle of the day?

Ukyou: [yells through the door] Hi, Makiko. I'll be right out.

Makiko: [yells back] Okay.

[She sits down at her computer and turns it on. By the time it finishes
booting up, the showering noises have stopped.]

Makiko: I wish she wouldn't always turn it off after she uses it. That's what
the screen saver is for. Oh well.

[Ukyou emerges from the bathroom, but Makiko doesn't look up from the
keyboard.]

Ukyou: I may be gone for a while.

Makiko: Going to study with Ranma again tonight?

Ukyou: I don't think you'd call what we'll be doing studying. Not for school,
anyway.

Makiko: [blinks] Eh? [thinking] Wait. She doesn't mean that she and Ranma...
No, Ukyou would never do that. Would she? Then again... she has kinda
hinted she more than likes him. Or did. No, I'm being paranoid.
I hope. [out loud] Um, what will you be doing. Uh, if I may ask?

Ukyou: [sighs] I could tell you, but you'd think I was nuts, Maki-chan.

[Makiko hears a loud rattling noise and the sound of things being moved from
Ukyou's closet. Looking, she sees Ukyou pulling out a long wrapped bundle from
the closet. Ukyou straightens up and begins to unwrap the six foot long
bundle. She is dressed in a purple embroidered wraparound with a black belt
gathering it at the waist, and she is wearing long tight black pants under it.
A bandolier of spatulas runs up from one shoulder down across her front and
back up along her back. An empty quiver is attached to the back of the
bandolier. Ukyou's hair is tied back and gathered into a pony-tail with a
white cooshie and a white bandana runs through her hair and across her
forehead.]

Makiko: U... Ukyou? [thought] Is that really her?

Ukyou: [finishes unwrapping the bundle. A gleaming six foot long spatula is
revealed.] Surprised, Maki-chan?

Makiko: It...It's a giant spatula.

Ukyou: Yes.

Makiko: [blinks] You... look like... like... some kind of kitchen commando.

Ukyou: [laughs] If I don't come back, there's instructions in an envelope in
my desk. I don't think you'll need them, but just in case, they are
there.

Makiko: [semi-hysterical] In case you don't come back? What is going on?

Ukyou: [takes a few practice swings with the mega-spatula] Ran-chan and I have
a battle to fight. If we're gone more than a week, then you can panic.

Makiko: A WEEK?

Ukyou: [springs across the room into the window, reversing as she lands so she
is still facing Makiko] Don't worry, Maki-chan. This sort of thing
happened all the time back home. Remind me to tell you about Prince
Toma when I get back, and that stupid Phoenix egg.

Makiko: [runs over to the window] Prince? Phoenix Egg? WHAT'S GOING ON ?

Ukyou: [slides the mega-spatula into its quiver] You wouldn't believe me if I
tried to explain it. You haven't seen the things I've seen. I'll tell
you about it when I get back.

Makiko: [has her fists at her mouth] You're scaring me, Ukyou.

Ukyou: [smiles faintly] Don't worry, Maki-chan. I'll be fine.
[thinking] I hope.

[She springs out the window to the ground below as Makiko watches in
amazement.]

Makiko: [tone of disbelief] I'm living with a ninja. [pauses] I think I need
to lie down for a while.

* * *

[A grocery stand near Maison Sabaku. Akane sorts through several vegetables
before selecting a couple and putting them in a plastic bag. She walks up to
the vendor and pays for the food before heading home.]

Akane: [to herself] I hope Ranma's hungry. I've got a great idea for dinner
tonight.

[As Akane nears Maison Sabaku, she notices that the street has become strangely
silent - nary a sound, save the wind rustling through the trees. She finally
reaches her destination and opens the front door.]

Akane: [grabbing doorknob] Brrr! That's cold!! [opens door]

Kazuyo: [from inside] Konnichiwa, Saotome-san!

Akane: [steps inside] Konnichiwa, Kanrinin-san! What's new?

Kazuyo: Sato-san is back! Your husband and your friend are here, visiting him.

Akane: Friend?

Kazuyo: Hai. Kuonji-san, I believe.

Akane: Ukyou?

Kazuyo: Something wrong?

Akane: [eyes narrowed] No... [changing subject] So they're visiting Sato-san?

Kazuyo: Hai. Upstairs.

Akane: Arigato. [walking upstairs]

[Kazuyo remains standing, looking after Akane speculatively.]

* * *

[Ranma and Ukyou are sitting on the floor, observing Sato as he runs around
gathering various things.]

Sato: Shouldn't you be preparing yourself for the journey?

Ranma: Nah. Don't need much.

Ukyou: I've got everything.

Ranma: Where are we going, anyway?

Sato: You must be prepared and purified before the battle. We must go to the
forest.

Ranma: Uh, is this going to take a long time? I have a lot of homework I'm
still trying to catch up on.

Sato: If we are not prepared before the spirit arrives, we will surely die.

Ranma: [laughs nervously] If Toba-kyouju doesn't get my paper on the Meiji
restoration by next Friday, I shall surely die.

Sato: Imagine being flayed alive from the inside out.

Ranma: [look of disgust] Bleah.

Sato: If Kurakujanen overcomes us, you'll be praying for that instead of what
you will experience.

Ukyou: [look of shock] Ewww.

Ranma: [thought] I'm not sure if that's worse than what Toba-kyouju will do to
me. [out loud] How long will this take?

Sato: A day of preparation will have to be sufficient. It is all the time we
are likely to have. Then, once the spirit arrives, we will need to enter
the spirit world to defeat it.

Ranma: [sighs] How long will this take?

Ukyou: [thought] Ranma seems so reluctant. Back in high school, he would have
jumped at any opportunity to avoid homework. I guess maybe we are all
starting to grow up. Too bad the evil spirit couldn't have waited until
after vacation started. [laughs]

Sato: Did I miss something?

Ukyou: Just thinking this would be easier if the spirit could have waited
until vacation time.

[Ranma laughs.]

Sato: This is no laughing matter. The spirit could arrive at any moment.

* * *

[Outside in the hallway, there is faint, mocking laughter. Akane has just
stepped out of room #4 after dropping off the groceries she purchased.]

Akane: [shakes her head] I must be imagining things.

[Approaching the door to Sato's room, she can see it is hung with prayer
ribbons that were not there the day before.]

Akane: [smiles] He must be worried about evil spirits or something.

[She knocks on the door.]

Sato: Come in!

[Akane opens the door and comes in.]

Ranma: Yo, Akane.

Ukyou: Konbanwa, Akane.

Sato: Ahh, you must be Tendo Akane.

Akane: That's just my stage name now. [pauses] I'm...

Sato: Ranma's wife. Yes, Kazuyo-san spoke of you to me. My apologies.

Akane: [blushing slightly] No problem. I... [notices Ukyou's getup]
Ukyou...

Ukyou: [looks over at Akane] Hmm?

Akane: You're wearing... I mean... it's been so long... uh, is there going to
be a fight?

Ukyou: Hai.

Akane: With who?

Sato: An ancient and evil spirit is coming. We must fight it. It is prophesied
that the one called Saotome shall be its downfall.

Akane: [blinks] You expect Ranma to beat an evil spirit?

Ranma: [irritated] What, you don't think I can take it?

Akane: You're not exactly in the prime of condition.

Ranma: [angry] You're not exactly in top fighting shape either!

Akane: [reddening face] I'm trying to pass my classes! And I haven't had to
fight anyone since my match with Kodachi!

Ukyou: Calm down! If we fight each other, we...

Ranma: [standing up, shouting] I'm trying to pass my classes too! But I can't
risk it showing up one day and hurt y... wreck the house and
everything! If it's coming to get us, we have to get it first.

Sato: So you are a martial artist, also?

Akane: Hai. Even if this baka [points at Ranma] doesn't respect my abilities.

Sato: We will need all the help we can get against the spirit.

Akane: You... want me to help?

Ranma: Akane, this is going to be very dangerous. I don't think it's a good
idea.

Akane: [angry again] What, Ukyou can help when she hasn't lifted that spatula
in months, but I can't?

Ukyou: Hey, I...

Akane: [red in the face] I beat Kodachi! I haven't seen her [points at Ukyou]
beat ANYONE in months.

Ukyou: [stands up, irritated] What, you want a demonstration?

Akane: [growling] Come and get me.

Sato: [leaping between them] Please, I don't want anyone to get hurt. Is what
she said correct, Ukyou?

Ukyou: [nervously] Uh... I haven't had a fight in a while. [thinks] A long
while.

Ranma: Are you sure you're up to this, Ucchan?

Akane: I thought you'd given up martial arts entirely.

Ranma: And you never make okonomiyaki anymore either.

Ukyou: [weakly] I was sick of Okonomiyaki. I had to get away from it. To stop
being so obsessed with...[pauses] it. Not to mention I suddenly
realized one day, I didn't really know how to cook anything else.
Learning to cook all these new things wasn't easy, but I think I'm
getting better.

Akane: [thinking] Yeah. Cooking is hard. Especially if your baka husband
doesn't appreciate it.

Ranma: [look of realization] I don't think I've hit Mousse once since I got
married.

Sato: Who is Mousse?

Ranma: An old enemy of mine. He's in love with someone who's in love with me.
We all used to fight all time.

Sato: And now you have found peace?

Ranma: Yeah. Even Shampoo doesn't try so hard anymore.

Akane: [thinking] Hey, yeah... Shampoo's been quiet. TOO quiet...

Ukyou: I know I'm a bit rusty, but I want to help you, Ran-chan.

Sato: I must repeat my warning. This is very dangerous. People may die.

Akane: I'm not going to let some stupid spirit get the better of me!

Ukyou: I'm not afraid. When it comes to fighting, Ranma doesn't lose.

Sato: Pack what you feel you will need. We leave for the forest as soon as we
are all ready.

* * *

[As they are leaving, Kazuyo is in the foyer.]

Kazuyo: Hello, Sato-san. I see you've met our new tenants.

Sato: Hai, we're taking a little camping trip together.

Kazuyo: You're not leaving so soon are you?

Ranma: We'll probably be back in just a day or two. You know the three of us
can't afford to miss much school.

Kazuyo: Okay. I hope you enjoy your trip!

[They nod and head out.]

Kazuyo: [sighs] I guess Sato-san just can't settle down very well.

* * *

[Ranma, Akane, Ukyou and Sato are standing in front of a pool, deep in the
forest. The pool is about fifteen feet across, its smooth surface perfectly
reflecting the forest around it. There is no sign how deep it might be.]

Sato: [moving to the edge of the pool] Gaze into the pool.

Ranma: [comes over to the pool and stares at it.] I see you, me, and some
trees. Big deal.

Akane: [also looking into the pool] Hey, I can't see myself!

Ukyou: [looks in the pool] Me neither!

Ranma: [surprised] What? [looking again, he sees she is right, and notices
something else] My reflection! It... It...

Akane: You look like a girl.

Ranma: [leaping back away from the pool] I don't like this.

Sato: Interesting. [bending down, he scoops up a handful of water and faces
Ranma] There is indeed an enchantment on you.

Ranma: [laughing nervously] Enchantment, me, no, no. [makes warding gestures
with his hands] Just put down the water and we'll all be okay.

Sato: Ahh, I see the legacy manifests in that way.

Ranma: [looks confused] Legacy? [sees Sato raising the handful of water] No!
Don't throw it at me!

Sato: [drinks the water] Don't throw it at...ahh, the curse of Jusenkyo. I
had not realized.

Ranma: [more confused] I... uh... wait, what did you think that meant?

Sato: It was clear you were enchanted. The pool could see you.

Ranma: [just kinda stares] Huh?

Sato: The more strongly a person is tied to the world of the spirits, the more
clearly the pool can see them. And it shows the person as they appear in
the world of the spirits.

Ranma: [angry] I'm a GIRL in the world of the spirits?

Akane: [sounds worried] But I don't show up at all.

Ukyou: [grips her spatula] Me neither!

Sato: Let us test something. [scooping up a handful of water, he tosses it on
Ranma, who transforms] Now come over to the pool.

Ranma-chan: [angrily] You call that a test?? I already knew I turn into a girl!

Sato: [calmly] Just come over here.

[Grumpily, Ranma-chan tromps over to the edge of the pool. Her reflection is
now male.]

Ranma-chan: [sounds slightly spooked] Weird.

Sato: Akane, Ukyou, look more carefully.

Akane: At what?

Sato: The pool.

Akane: [staring carefully at the pool] I can't see myself! Wait... there's a
red bird in the sky. [looking up, she sees no bird] What? There's a
reflection of a bird, but no bird.

Sato: [looking] Hmm. [thought] That looks like no ordinary bird.
[spoken] It must be a spirit bird. In this pool, you see the spirit
world reflected.

Ukyou: [staring into the pool] I still don't see anything. [for a moment, she
sees herself reflected in the pool as a boy, then the image vanishes
entirely] I... it... no... that... wasn't me. Couldn't be me.

Akane: What wasn't you? I didn't see anything.

Sato: [wrinkles his brow slightly] What did you see?

Ukyou: [faintly] A boy who looked like me.

Akane: [jumps back from the pool] This pool is making me nervous.

Ranma-chan: Why are we standing around the forest staring at ourselves in a
pool, when the thing we gotta fight is back in the middle of town,
anyway?

Sato: We must ritually prepare ourselves to enter the spirit world. It is
easier to enter in a place like this, where both sides are almost the
same. The spirits are strong here.

Akane: But... I don't show up at all in the spirit world. And Ukyou... uh...

[Ukyou shudders.]

Sato: Perhaps you were the bird.

Akane: Eh?

Sato: Or perhaps you do not know your true self.

Ranma-chan: [shouting] MY TRUE SELF IS NOT A GIRL!

Ukyou: Nani?

Sato: Most people do not show up in the pool unless there is some kind of
magic or spirit associated with them. Ranma only shows up because of his
curse.

Ranma-chan: What about you? You look normal.

Sato: The spirit world knows me.

Akane: I don't understand.

Sato: Perhaps after this trip you will.

... to be continued.

There's word on the street again
The rumors come flyin'
She's up to her old ways again
And another one is cryin'

No-one understands
She's a dif'rent person now
No-one lends a hand
To listen to her now

Days going by, hopelessness in your heart
Never look back, never break apart

Somebody loves you
Now and forever
And you're not alone now
If only you'll remember
That somebody loves you
Waiting patiently
Somebody loves you
Look and you will see
Somebody loves you ...
(Somebody)
Somebody like me.

Credits :

Writers..............: David Tai
Paul Gallegos
John Walter Biles

Story Artist.........: Anastasia Moreno

DnR Outsider's FAQ...: Jon K. Hayashi

Special Thanks to....: Robert DeLoura
Tanya Mundy
J.

The Tucson Animation Screening Society (TASS)

And of course Rumiko Takahashi

| Copyright (c) 1996 Digital Knight Communications |
| "Ranma 1/2" and its characters Copyright (c) 1996 |
| Viz Communications, Inc., Shogakukan, Kitty Animation |
| and Rumiko Takahashi |