[Ranma/Xover][FanFic] Kingdom Come- Part 1

Cynthia Johnston

Dec 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/24/98
Hello Again! This is Skuld-chan here. Cindy is currently unavailable
to write this so I, knowing computers, have taken it on myself to
write this se....

(Sounds of great violence ensue. One can imagine a scene of a Tasman-
ian devil fighting a industrial shredder - and multiply it by ten.
That would be far short of the actual property damage results.)

Geezow, Skuld! The people are reading MY fic, not a travelogue to
Yggdrasil. Sorry 'bout that. I've decided to start with part one,
and get this rolling {small note: e-mail K...@almighty.rel, tell him
that I need a new proofreader.} So, here we go again! In the last
episode, we were given a tease about some of this story....

As always, I make no claim to the other major characters. I only
wish to state that the characters I produce, and the abilities _I_
give anyone, are credited to me.

A Multistory Fic:

KINGDOM COME

By The Centauress

Part 1:
Where we find that little,
if anything, really _IS_
what it seems to be....

Cindy walked her beat, inspecting the warehouse that was
currently filled with oriental bric-a-brak, bored to have a slow
assignment. *Why,* she mused, *if I really wanted to, I could
easily _sleep_ through the next six hours.* She shrugged. *But if
I do, I'd be lying to my boss. >Sigh< So I won't.*

She pulled out her cellular phone to call her sweetheart, who
currently lived in Michigan. She absently tapped the keys that would
let her quickdial the number, and put it to her ear. There was a
couple ticks, a hum, then a sisterly voice. Cindy sat down hard
when she heard it.

+Goddess Relief Office,+ the person said. +I will be arriving
immediately for a wish consultation.+

Cindy looked at the handset. The number displayed read,
'HEAVEN1', and not the one she wanted. As she watched, the displays
'in use' light shut off, and the number disappeared.

*Odd,* she mused as she put it away. As she looked up, she
witnessed a girl with extremely long grey hair lookingdown at her.
"Hello," the newcomer beamed, shining a gigawatt smile at the
hapless woman. "My name is Belldandy. What is your desire?"

"Wait a minute!" Cindy barked. "How did you get into here?"

"By that mirror," Belldandy indicated a large mirror with bias-
relief dragons circling it. "I arrived to grant you a wish."

The tall blonde couldn't believe this. "Rrrrrright."

The goddess tilted her head. "I don't lie. I'm a goddess from
what you would consider 'Heaven.'"

This was too much for Cindy. She fainted, slumping to the
floor.

"That was a good start," Belldandy said out loud, without a
trace of irony.

( * ) ( * ) ( * )

Cindy awoke slowly, feeling the concrete under her. "Wow,"
she muttered, eyes still shut, "that was a weird daydream."

"That was no dream," a sweet, sisterly voice assured her. "I
have granted your wish." Cindy's eyes flew open, to stare into the
sparkling grey orbs of Belldandy's. "I am happy..."

In a blur, Cindy found herself pressing against a nearby wall.
"_WISH_?" she screamed. "What wish?" She noted that the goddess
appeared taller somehow. At a guess, she estimated that they were
now nearly the same height.

Belldandy smiled at her. "Why, your wish to be like me." Her
face lit up. "I am happy to announce that Kami-Sama has given you
the powers of a goddess."

*Goddess?* Cindy thought, stunned. *When did _this_ happen?*

Belldandy gestured at the mirror. "If you watch, you will see
that _you_ did wish for this." Her eyes crinkled. "You really should
try to stop talking when you're out."

The mirror clouded over, and Cindy saw the wish being played
back with widening eyes. *Oh, my. I _DID_ wish for this...*

-==- -==- -==- -==-

Belldandy kneeled beside the sessant blonde. "Cynthia?" she
asked, not expecting a reply.

"Yes," the woman replied clearly. "I'm here."

The goddess smiled. "What is your deepest desire?"

"I want to be able to help people forever," she responded. "I
remember failing to do that."

"And how," the goddess probed, "would you accomplish this?"

"By being a goddess," she murmured, still subconsciously. "I
would wish that I were a goddess, so I can help people forever."

Belldandy's eyes sparkled. "Thank you," she finished, rising
into the air. Cindy's "Welcome" was lost to the sound of a wind
rising in the cluttered warehouse. The markings on the goddess' face
grew brighter, until a beam shot from them to pierce the roof.

A grand, booming voice rose in the air, without source. =I
will grant this wish,= it intoned in a happy laugh.

[Belldandy said as an aside, "Father always loves to ham it up.
He could have done it without so much fanfare."]

Kami-sama continued. =This one, my newest daughter, I declare
will be the Goddess of Moments. Protect her, daughter, and teach
her; for she will have a hard road to tread.=

Belldandy responded, still floating in midair. "I will,
Father. Is what I learned about her true?"

Kami's voice lowered to normal levels. "Yes, it is. She has
much to do. Help her."

As he was speaking, Cindy's body shrank to that of a teenager;
her face became more pixish, and her hair grew until it was almost
as long as she was tall. Kami-sama concluded, "She will awake in a
few moments. Bring her here, so she can meet me."

-==- -==- -==- -==-

Cindy stood there, amazed. "I've been adopted?" she muttered.
"I'm a goddess?"

Belldandy laughed. "Yes and yes, sister." Cindy turned to
face her. She continued, "Father himself approved."

Cindy smiled weakly. "So if 'Dad' okays it, then it has to be
true. Alright then, I'm game."

Belldandy took the girl's hand. "Let us go to our meeting
then." Fitting word to deed, she stepped foreward, into the mirror.
Cindy gaped as the grey haired goddess was swallowed in the silvery
ripples that she was rapidly approaching. Closing her eyes, she felt
the cool surface of the mirror, then a soft, gentle breeze.

She opened her eyes, and saw a room that looked to be partially
live green wood, part stone, and part Star Trek's wet dreams. "Whoa,"
she murmured. "This is wild." She checked herself. *That wasn't
English,* she mused, *but how can I speak it, and know that's what
I said?*

Belldandy smiled at her. "This is Central Dispatch. The beings
that work here need to test your powers; then we will go to see
Kami-sama." A friendly-seeming person approached. "Go with this one,
Cynthia. I'll wait here."

Cindy nodded jerkily, still in awe of what was happening. The
next few hours passed in a blur, and she found herself again as she
faced a large golden door. Belldandy smiled serenely, and asked,
"Are you ready?"

Cindy tried to clear a few cobwebs from her mind. *This has got
to be the most bewildering day I've ever had,* she mused. "Alright,
sis. Let's see Dad."

The golden doors opened for them, and a fatherly voice called,
"Cynthia, my daughter. Come in."

She froze. The voice sounded just _LIKE_ her father's, before
he became ill. A calm baritone that seemed to be filtered through
gravel. Her own voice was a tenor version of it; a very small legacy
of a man she admired. But that wasn't all. It also seemed to be
a clear bassundo, like her stepfather's; the man she had last seen
a year ago.

As the casket closed his serene face from mortal view forever.

She fainted, not so much from fear, as from hope.

( * ) ( * ) ( * )

She awoke beside a burbling stream, her head on the grass
beside a small teenaged boy. He seemed unfamiliar, until she looked
at his face. "Dad? Richard?" she asked.

He nodded, smiling calmly. "Yes, daughter." A laugh passed
by his lips. "This is strange. I thought there was nothing like this
anywhere, and yet I found my way to it. And now I get another
surprise; you're a goddess."

She cried softly. "I missed you."

He put a gentle hand on her brow. "Well, you can visit me
anytime. But be sure that you do as Kami-sama asks you, okay?"
His grin was infectious. "He really is your dad now."

The tears were ones of bittersweet love now. "Don't worry. You
taught me well."

An older man walked up. He appeared to be in late middle age,
but his eyes told different truths. "Cynthia," he intruded, "come
with me."

Cindy came to her feet. "Yes, sir," she answered respectfully.
They walked for a way, then she hugged the man. "Thank you, Dad,"
she whispered.

"That's my job," he chuckled. "Yours too. His wish was to be
able to see you reach your destiny."

( * ) ( * ) ( * )

The pair of goddesses exited the mirror in the bathroom of the
shrine. Belldandy turned to the young goddess. "...And so, she
finished, "this is your _new_ home. Now for introductions."

"Too late," Urd said, slinking in with a portable television.
"We were called in to grant a wish. Actually, four wishes."

"Yeah," Skuld added, "and _he_ gets to tag along as well."
She turned to the strawberry-haired girl. "Father sent us a gVid of
your file. Welcome to the family, and let's get to work."

"Um," Cindy hedged, "where and who?"

"A young aquatransexual named Ranma Saotome, in the Nemira
District," Urd replied, as she grabbed the neo-goddess and plunged
into the tv set."

"Aqua whaaaaaaa......" the blonde's voice faded away.

=-=-==-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Author's Notes:

Ahhh, Another part in the bag.

Thanks go out to friend Skysaber, who has graciously offered
his brand of help in ideas for this fic. With his great work already
in Mirrors, I admire the gesture; And 'Sabre, I _AM_ gonna milk it
for all I can....

Till next part,
Centauress
15 Dec 98