[Ranma][FanFic] Daigakusei no Ranma - Episode 24

Saotome Ranma

Nov 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/12/97

I've been waiting
Since the world stood still
A picture in my mind
An image left behind
I love you and always will

All I needed was a miracle
To see that I was wrong
Yeah, all I needed was a miracle
To realize what was going on

'Cause in this world
There is only one
And in this life
Under the sun
In this heart
Is the life of love

In this heart
Is the life of love

+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
| Daigakusei no Ranma |
| |
| Created by David Tai and Paul Gallegos |
| |
| Based on the characters created by Rumiko Takahashi |
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

-= Episode 24: "Adventure on the Beach! The Better End!" =-

[Morning at the Tendo Dojo. Stifling a yawn, Ranma opens his eyes and drowsily
looks around. Curled up next to him, wearing one of his old red Chinese shirts,
is Akane, fast asleep. Ranms smiles and goes back to sleep.]

Akane: [mumbling] Ranma.

[Ranma strokes Akane's hair with his hand, awakening her. She sits up, yawning
and stretching.]

Akane: [looking sleepily at alarm clock] Ranma... time to get up.

Ranma: [mumbles] I think I'll stay in bed a little longer.

Akane: [purring] I like that idea...

[Akane is interrupted by a knock on the door.]

Kasumi: Akane? Ranma? I've got breakfast almost ready.

[Akane and Ranma look at each other.]

Ranma: [grumbles] Do we hafta get up?

[Akane looks back playfully at her husband, then pounces on him, causing the
bed springs to squeak.]

Akane: Well, if you're up for some more... [giggles]

[A second knock at the door is heard.]

Nodoka: Hurry you two. Breakfast is almost ready. [pauses] That is, of course,
if you wish to join us.

[Akane and Ranma both blush slightly.]

Akane and Ranma: [slowly] Hai.

[The two slowly disentangle themselves and get out of bed.]

* * *

[Downstairs at the table. Akane leans tiredly against Ranma's shoulder as they
sit. Nodoka watches the two with a small smile. Genma and Soun laugh and carry
on like they were the night before. Nabiki smiles as she watches the two, then
frowns as Ranma catches her eye.]

Nodoka: [to Soun] Tell me again why Kasumi is cooking this morning?

[Ranma and Akane look at each other again.]

Akane: Kasumi's cooking instead of you?

Nodoka: [smiles and cocks her head slightly] Hai. She said that she wanted to.

Nabiki: Maybe she feels she's out of practice? [shrugs]

Ranma: It _has_ been a while since she's cooked a meal for all of us, don't
you think Akane?

[Akane merely nods and smiles. Nabiki sets her cup down.]

Nabiki: Or... maybe SHE's got something to tell us.

Ranma: If that's the case, why doesn't she just tell us then?

Nabiki: [calmly] That's just Kasumi's way.

Ranma: [sarcastically] Oh, I forgot, you know everything.

Akane: [whispers loudly to Ranma] Cut it out!

[Ranma glares at Nabiki. Nabiki glares back. Nodoka watches this exchange with
some concern.]

Nodoka: Well, if Kasumi has something to tell us, we'll just wait patiently
for her. [to Ranma] Are you and Akane going somewhere today?

[Ranma looks at Akane. She finally sits up straight and takes a sip of tea.]

Akane: We weren't planning on anything, really. What did you have in mind?

Nodoka: Well, your father and I were talking, and we thought that today would
be a good day for that beach trip we had planned.

Ranma: [eyes light up] Hey, that sounds cool!

Akane: That's great!

Genma: Ah... sitting on the sand, the cool breeze coming off the ocean...

Ranma: ... you sweltering in that fur coat...

[Everyone laughs except Genma, who glares back at Ranma.]

Soun: Saotome-kun, I believe that this is going to be a great day!

Nabiki: I'm afraid I'm going to have to take a rain check. I have some other
business to attend to.

Akane: Oh, c'mon, Nabiki. It'll be fun!

Nodoka: Hai. Nabiki-chan, please come with us.

[Nabiki glances at Ranma, who again glares back at her, then at Akane, then
finally at Nodoka.]

Nabiki: Ok, I'll go.

[Nabiki stares at Ranma pointedly. Ranma averts his gaze, instead looking
around the room.]

Nodoka: I believe, then, that we should try and decide where we are going.
Ranma?

Ranma: [mumbles] I dunno.

Akane: Umm... How about Atami? It's not that far away.

Nodoka: That sounds reasonable.

Akane: [beams] Really?

Ranma: [stands up] Excuse me.

[Ranma quickly exits the room. Everyone watches him leave, then Kasumi enters
with food.]

Kasumi: Breakfast is ready! [pauses] Where's Ranma-kun?

Akane: [confidently] He'll be back.

[However, Akane glances back in the direction Ranma left with a wistful look.]

* * *

[Ranma sits on the wooden floor of the dojo, seemingly meditating. Kasumi
stands silently at the entrance watching. After a while, Ranma turns to see
her there.]

Ranma: Kasumi... what's up?

Kasumi: I was just coming to see if you wanted any breakfast. I saved some for
you. [pauses] Everyone already finished.

Ranma: [sighs] 'sok. I'm not really hungry.

Kasumi: Oh.

[The two are silent for a moment longer. Then, Kasumi takes off her apron,
enters the room, and sits down next to Ranma.]

Kasumi: What's really wrong?

Ranma: What do you mean?

Kasumi: I mean, what's going on? You've ... changed. Over the course of the
year, I mean. You haven't seemed yourself for quite a while now.
What happened?

Ranma: I don't know. [sighs] I guess there's just a lot more pressure now than
there used to be.

Kasumi: Is it father and Uncle Saotome? I can talk to them if you want.

Ranma: Actually, for once, it's not them.

Kasumi: Oh. [looks at her lap]

Ranma: It's not you, either, Kasumi. In fact, I wouldn't say it's anybody.
I think it's more of trying to get adjusted to the whole school-thing.
College isn't as easy for me, y'know?

Kasumi: It's not supposed to be.

Ranma: Even so... it's so hard to talk to people.

Kasumi: Well, I'm always here...

Ranma: [smiles] I know that. I mean other people... people I used to trust.

Kasumi: I know what you mean.

Ranma: [blinks] You do?

Kasumi: Hai. [smiles] I used to be really close to, er... a friend ... when
I was younger. She and I were inseparable. [sighs] We did almost
everything together, even though she was two years younger than me.

Ranma: [grins] I didn't know that.

Kasumi: [smiles] Hai. We'd do things like go for ice cream after school and
hang out at the library watching boys... [smile fades slightly] One
time, though, she did something really awful. She got caught with a
copy of the entrance exam answers. I think she panicked when she got
caught, and she said that I had given it to her. I had never seen
Father so mad before...

Ranma: What happened?

Kasumi: I hated her for a while. Then I realized that she hadn't wanted
me to get in trouble, she just didn't know what else to do. So... I
took the blame. Eventually... Eventually, she went to the principal
and told him the truth.

Ranma: And your father?

Kasumi: At first he didn't believe me, but then the school called and told
him. We had a long talk, and he finally admitted he was wrong and
that he had misjudged me. N... my friend and I went our separate ways
after that. I just couldn't trust her for a long time. [sighs]

Ranma: I see. [nods] Must've been hard to lose a close friend like that.
[pauses] I don't think I had any close friends like that when I was
growing up... except maybe Ucchan, but she... well... you know what
I mean, ne?

Kasumi: Well, I'm sure your father had his reasons. [smiles] Mind you, don't
tell anyone what I've told you. I've kept it pretty much a secret for
a long time...

Ranma: [smiles] Don't worry. I won't tell, on my honor. [inwardly] At least
I know I can trust ME. [out loud] So... what was this big thing you
were going to tell everyone this morning?

Kasumi: [surprised] Oh my! How'd you know?

Ranma: Mom figured you had something to tell this morning. [grins]

Kasumi: Well... since I've already told everyone else... I was chosen to
study under one of the most prominent professors of nursing at
Noumunoikan - Watanabe Yoshihisa!

Ranma: [blinks] Who?

Kasumi: He's one of the faculty chairs. He's also received the most grants
in the history of Noumunoikan.

Ranma: I'll, uh, take your word for it. [grins] In any case, it's good that
you got this position.

Kasumi: Hai. [smiles] The school said they'd notify me at home as to when
Dr. Watanabe would want me to start working with him. [pauses] I
guess that would mean I'd have to go back to Noumunoikan early or
something.

Ranma: That kinda sucks.

Kasumi: Either that or I'd be working from here. [smiles] Can I count on
you to be my test subject if that happens?

Ranma: [nods] Sure! [pauses] What are you going to be working on?

Kasumi: I honestly don't know. I think it has something to do with DNA...

Ranma: Oh, that's not so bad...

Kasumi: [continuing] Or else it has to do with Dr. Watanabe's research.

[Ranma gets a look like he REALLY shouldn't ask...]

Ranma: Um... what's his field of research?

Kasumi: I believe it's in human reproductive systems, including pre-natal
and post-natal cases.

Ranma: [sweat drop] ...

* * *

[Nerima station. The Tendo household has packed for the beach. Genma, in panda
form, carries the umbrella, cooler, and picnic basket - and steals a rice ball
while no one is looking - while Soun carries a folded blanket and a couple of
towels, as well as the shogi game board and a small leather pouch with the
pieces. The women are wearing beach wraps and windbreakers, while Ranma, in
male form, is clad in a pair of blue and black multicolored shorts and a
white tank top with the kanji for Mizunoikan on the front. Nodoka carries a
pair of thermoses and for once is sporting a pair of shorts and a light green
blouse. Genma-panda attempts to snatch another rice ball, but Nodoka catches
him and gently takes the basket away.]

Akane: This is going to be great!

Ranma: I can't wait to take a swim. It's been so _hot_...

Akane: Kasumi-oneechan, what are you going to do first?

Kasumi: Oh, I'd like to swim by the pier first, then maybe go walking along the
coast.

Nodoka: That sounds absolutely wonderful, dear.

[All three sisters look at each other and smile knowingly.]

Nabiki: Maybe we'll be able to find some nice seashells for decoration around
the house.

[Ranma keeps quiet. Akane looks back at Nabiki.]

Akane: [unsure] That might be fun... but first we need the train to get here.

[As if on cue, the speaker comes alive overhead.]

Announcer: The 10:15 train to Atami has arrived. The 10:15 train to
Atami has arrived. Please wait behind the white line while
the train comes to a complete stop.

[Everyone waits as the train stops and the doors open. Ranma and Akane board
first, followed by Kasumi and Nabiki, and finally Nodoka, Genma-panda, and
Soun. As soon as everyone is seated, the train begins to move forward at a
rapid pace, passing through the countryside. Seated next to the window, Akane
watches silently, a small smile across her face. Ranma leans over to look out
the window as well.]

Ranma: It's a nice landscape...

Akane: [blinks] ... yeah, I was just about to say that...

[Ranma just grins and continues looking out the window. After a while, he
finally leans back in his seat at the same time that Nabiki sits back in hers.
The two stare at each other for a long moment, each sitting directly across
from the other, then both look elsewhere, Ranma finding the ceiling
interesting, while Nabiki produces a newspaper and begins to read earnestly.
Kasumi and Akane look back at the two and then exchange worried glances.]

* * *

[The group steps onto the warm sand and each takes a deep breath, inhaling the
salty ocean air. The beach is littered with blankets and umbrellas, with all
sorts of people walking up and down the sandy dunes. Several women wearing
string bikinis run past giggling. Soun and Genma-panda stop and stare. Ranma
watches their expressions with some amusement.]

Nodoka: [clearing throat] Uh-urhm...

[Genma-panda begins to sweat and turns slowly to look at Nodoka, who merely
smiles and flashes something metallic. The two men - well, man and panda -
immediately head for an open area on the beach and begin to set up.]

Soun: Isn't this the life, Saotome-kun? Fresh air, cool water, and no hassles
whatsoever. [sticks umbrella in ground]

Panda: [sign] "Does the Nekohanten deliver here?"

Nodoka: Now dear, don't worry. We've got enough food to last all day.

Panda: [sign] "Who cooked it?"

Nodoka: I did. [pauses and Genma-panda and Soun breath a sigh of relief]
... and so did Akane.

[Soun and Genma-panda face-fault.]

Kasumi: [smiles] I think I'm going to go change into my swimsuit.

Nabiki and Akane: Me too.

Nodoka: That sounds nice. I'll finish setting up here. [to Ranma] Son, can you
help spread out the blanket?

Ranma: [nods] Sure.

[The sisters leave for the changing area. Nodoka removes her blouse and shorts,
revealing a contemporary dark blue one-piece swimsuit. Soun, however, remains
dressed in his normal dark-brown gi.]

Ranma: [to Soun] Aren't you hot?

Soun: [as if reciting] A true martial artist can withstand any climate.

Panda: [sign] "He forgot his bathing suit."

[Ranma laughs while Soun glares at Genma-panda. Then Ranma helps Soun unfold
the blanket, and they lay it flat on the sand underneath the umbrella.
Genma-panda opens the huge umbrella, and immediately the ground underneath is
shaded from the harsh sunlight. Nodoka takes off the cooler's lid and
rearranges some items within, while Genma-panda and Soun set up their shogi
board to begin play. Presently, the women return. Each is dressed in a very
low cut bikini; however Kasumi's white bikini is much more daring than her
sisters'.]

Ranma: [eyes widen] Uh... Are you sure those are legal?

Kasumi: [turns a slow circle] Aren't they great? They were such a bargain, I
couldn't resist.

[Everyone except Soun stares at Kasumi. Soun is concentrating determinedly
on the shogi board.]

Nabiki: [teasingly] We've only been here 30 minutes, and already she has
heatstroke.

Akane: Nabiki!

Kasumi: [laughs lightly] That's ok, Akane. Yuriko helped me find it. [to the
others] Do you like it?

[Soun looks up at Kasumi, and immediately throws a heavy brown overcoat over
his daughter. He looks around frantically to make sure no one was looking and
then turns to face Kasumi.]

Soun: Kasumi! Why are you wearing that? You are my oldest daughter!

[Nabiki begins to say something, but Akane touches her shoulder. Nabiki glances
back at Akane, who shakes her head no.]

Kasumi: Father, I understand why you are concerned, but believe me [begins to
remove overcoat] there's nothing to worry about. [smiles] I'm fine.

[Kasumi folds the overcoat neatly over one arm and twirls around in a circle.]

Kasumi: [to her sisters] What do you really think of this? Nabiki? Akane?

Nabiki: [grins] I think it's you, oneechan.

Kasumi: Akane?

Akane: [hesitatingly] I ... guess it's ok. That is, if you like it....

Kasumi: [turns to Ranma] Ranma-kun?

[Ranma still sits dumbstruck at his sister-in-law's figure in the skimpy
bikini. Genma-panda finally whacks him over the head with a sign that reads
"Pay attention!"]

Ranma: [face in the sand] No doubt about it, it's definitely you, Kasumi.

Kasumi: [to Soun] See? They like it! I think you shouldn't worry too much,
especially in this heat.

[Kasumi leads Soun back to his chair in front of the shogi board. Genma-panda
has a semi-guilty look on his face, as Soun notices that the board is slightly
different than when he left it. Kasumi bends over to help her father sit,
giving everyone on the beach an eyeful.]

Kasumi: [still bent over] Now, do you feel better, father?

Soun: H- hai... [looks up to see...] EEEYYYAAHHHHHH!!!! [faints]

Nabiki: Anou... oneechan, you probably shouldn't stand like that...

Kasumi: Nani? [suddenly blushes and straightens up] Oh my! Arigato, Nabiki.

[Kasumi looks around a little self-consciously and fixes her suit slightly.]

Kasumi: Maybe I should get a t-shirt...

Akane: [nods] That's a good idea.

[Kasumi quickly jogs back toward the changing area, leaving a trail of men
gawking behind her.]

Soun: [waking up] Where am I?

Nabiki: You're at the beach, daddy. Why don't you play shogi with Uncle
Saotome?

Soun: H- hai... I think I will do that.

Panda: [sign] "I already won."

Soun: [blinks] That's two in a row, Saotome. You're very lucky.

[Ranma appears behind Genma-panda.]

Ranma: [murmurs to Genma-panda] Lucky that he's not watching the board, ne?

Panda: [sign] "I don't know what you're talking about."

[Kasumi returns, wearing a white cut-off t-shirt over her bikini top that
barely comes to her midriff.]

Kasumi: [cheerfully] Much better!

Soun: EEEYYYAAHHHHHH!!!!

* * *

[Lunchtime at the beach. Ranma-chan runs in from the ocean, dripping wet, and
collapses down under the umbrella where Nabiki, Akane, Nodoka, Soun and
Genma-panda sit. Ranma-chan is dressed in a concealing one-piece suit, although
its red color almost matches Akane's bikini. Soun and Genma-panda are well into
their fourth or fifth game of shogi, though it looks like neither has an
advantage for once. Nodoka hands Ranma-chan a towel and a cup of water.]

Nodoka: Here you go, some cold water.

[Ranma-chan sits up slowly and guzzles down the water.]

Ranma-chan: Arigato. [begins to towel herself off]

Soun: [to Ranma-chan, without looking up from the shogi board] Ranma, have you
seen Kasumi?

[Ranma-chan is about to respond, when Nodoka cuts in.]

Nodoka: Would anyone like something to eat...?

[Without looking up, Genma-panda and Soun automatically raise their hands.]

Nodoka: [continuing] Akane made sandwiches for us...

[The two men immediately put their hands down.]

Ranma-chan: I guess I'll have one.

[Almost immediately, Genma-panda and Soun are by Ranma-chan's side -
Genma-panda with a small pen flashlight, Soun with a stethoscope - checking
Ranma's pupils and pulse. Genma-panda feels Ranma-chan's forehead with his
hand.]

Panda: [sign] "He's very cold. Heatstroke?"

Ranma-chan: No, you idiot! That's from the ocean!

Nodoka: Now dear, I think Ranma is fine. How do you feel, son?

[Ranma-chan throws Genma-panda into the ocean. Soun jumps back to his seat
at the shogi board, and takes the opportunity to rearrange some pieces.]

Ranma-chan: [smiles] Just fine, mom!

[Akane hands Ranma-chan a simple sandwich.]

Akane: Here.

Ranma-chan: What's this?

Akane: [beaming] Lunch!

[Ranma-chan looks at it curiously.]

Ranma-chan: Uh... sure, ok. [takes a tentative bite, eyes light up] Hey, this
is pretty good!

Akane: [smiles] Anyone else want one? [holds up bag]

Nodoka: [smiles, to Akane] No, dear, your sandwiches are in the other bag.

[Ranma sweat drops.]

Akane: Oh! I see. [holds up her bag] Anyone?

[Everyone begins to speak at once.]

Soun: No thank you, my dear.

Panda: [sign] "I'm already full."

Ranma-chan: Where did you come from?

[At this point, Kasumi returns. Not 10 yards behind her is a group of four guys
falling over themselves while they watch Kasumi. Each is wearing the
contemporary style of men's swimsuits, though only a few wear sunglasses or
hats. Kasumi, oblivious, turns her back to them and stretches. The guys
immediately bonk heads and fall unconscious before being swept away by the
tide.]

Kasumi: [smiles] Whew! It's hot out! Is there any iced tea left?

Nodoka: Of course! Help yourself! [gestures to cooler]

[Kasumi kneels down to open the cooler. Soun, by chance, turns to see Kasumi,
her back to him, serving herself iced tea.]

Soun: EEEYYYAAHHHHHH!!!! [falls over backwards]

[Genma-panda quickly rearranges the board. Kasumi straightens up and looks
around.]

Kasumi: Father?

Nabiki: [shaking head] Never mind, oneechan.

Akane: Oneechan, would you like something to eat?

Kasumi: [smiles] No thank you, Akane. Some nice boys over by the pier already
bought me lunch.

Soun: [looking around wildly] WHAT NICE BOYS?

[Kasumi turns to point at where the group of guys once was.]

Kasumi: Those... oh! Where'd they go?

Ranma-chan: [looking out to sea] Oh, they probably needed to take a cold swim
for a bit.

[Genma-panda pounds Ranma with a sign.]

Panda: [sign] "Watch your mouth!"

Nodoka: [to Genma-panda] Now dear, that's no way to talk to your son...

[From behind Nodoka, Ranma-chan sticks her tongue out at Genma-panda.]

Kasumi: Well, I think I'll go for a swim. Anyone want to join me?

Ranma-chan: Well, I was just...

Nabiki: [interrupting] Sure.

Ranma-chan: ...

[Akane watches Ranma-chan, then turns to look at her sisters.]

Kasumi: Are you coming with us, Ranma-kun?

Ranma-chan: I was just about to decline, actually. Arigato, though.

[Nabiki and Ranma-chan glare at each other for a moment, then Nabiki turns and
runs into the surf. Kasumi follows momentarily. Akane moves to sit next to
Ranma-chan.]

Akane: [quietly] You know, you can't keep this up forever. You guys need to
talk sooner or later.

Ranma-chan: Leave me alone.

[Ranma-chan gets up and walks off toward the pier. Akane sadly watches him go,
then turns back to the others.]

Akane: So, anyone still hungry?

[Sweat drops form on everyone's heads.]

* * *

[Mid-afternoon. Kasumi returns, dripping wet, to the umbrella. Akane and
Nodoka are reading, and Soun and Genma-panda are taking a break from their
shogi game to eat some leftover food.]

Kasumi: [sighs] Ah, that felt good.

[Soun immediately wraps his daughter in an oversized army-issue green towel.]

Soun: H- Here, Kasumi, why don't you use this to dry off with? [looks around
fervently]

Kasumi: [cheerfully] Arigato.

Akane: [to Kasumi] Where's Nabiki? Is she still out there?

Kasumi: [shakes her head] Actually, she said she was going to take a walk
about fifteen minutes ago and swam back to shore. [towels off her
hair] I haven't seen her since.

Akane: [nods slowly] I see...

[Akane puts down her book and grabs her sunglasses. Nodoka watches her walk
off and turns to Kasumi.]

Nodoka: Do you think that Nabiki and Akane had a fight?

Kasumi: [finishes drying off] I don't think so... I think something else is
going on that neither one wants to talk about.

Nodoka: Whatever it is, I hope Ranma isn't involved in it. It is not nice to
be caught in the middle of a siblings' argument.

Kasumi: [slowly nods] Hai. [pauses] Especially if they fight over something
trivial.

Nodoka: [smiles] Well, it's never trivial at the time, dear. [to Genma-panda]
More iced tea, dear?

[Kasumi sits down on the blanket next to Nodoka and stares out over the ocean.]

Kasumi: [thinking] It never is trivial at the time... but things are never
quite the same afterwards, either...

* * *

[Akane is walking alone on the beach. She reaches some outcropping rocks and
sees her sister Nabiki sitting there silently, looking out over the sea. She
climbs up to sit down next to her.]

Akane: What's eating you?

Nabiki: [without looking at Akane] Nothing, really.

Akane: [sighs] C'mon, oneechan. I know you better than that. You've got that
look.

[Nabiki turns around.]

Nabiki: [curiously] What look?

Akane: [soft smile] The one that says you're this close [holds up two fingers
together very closely] to making a deal, but something's holding you
back.

Nabiki: [turns away] It doesn't have anything to do with business.

Akane: Oh? [raises eyebrow] So, it's personal this time. Wow.

Nabiki: [annoyed] And what's THAT supposed to mean?

Akane: [raises hands] Hey, I'm not accusing you of anything. I'm your sister,
remember? Someone you can trust?

[Nabiki looks at Akane for a moment, trying to determine if she's serious or
not. She shrugs and looks away.]

Nabiki: I'd rather keep it to myself. [pauses] It's for your own good.

Akane: Let me be the judge of that. I'm an adult too, y'know.

[Nabiki turns completely around to face Akane.]

Nabiki: You could've fooled me. [Akane looks aghast] You and Ukyou both.

Akane: W- what do you mean?

Nabiki: [loudly] What the hell do you think I mean? Isn't it obvious? _Your
husband_ blames me for the little stunt Ukyou talked me into! And
now every time we're in the same room together, I either get ignored
or insulted! [mimicking Akane] I'm your sister, remember?!
[louder voice] But as soon as he forgave you two, you acted like it
was all over. What about me, little sister?

Akane: I- I really didn't know... I mean, I didn't think he'd hold a grudge
this long...

Nabiki: If that's your way of apologizing, don't bother. Really.

Akane: [hands balling into fists] It's not like that! I mean, I never wanted
it to happen like this...

Nabiki: [interrupts] But it did! That's the bottom line!

Akane: [yelling] Look! I admit I made a mistake! I admit it already!
Are you happy now?

Nabiki: [shouting] No! No I'm not happy!

[The two women fall into a sudden silence, staring at each other. Then Nabiki
breaks the deadlock, looking out over the sea. Akane moves to get up, but
her sister puts a hand on her arm.]

Akane: [angrily] What now?

Nabiki: [softly] Gomen. I'm not really mad at you. I'm just so...

Akane: ...frustrated?

Nabiki: Un. Frustrated. At Ranma. At you. At Ukyou. At me. [sighs] You know,
it doesn't matter so much that I didn't get the trophy for the Y.B.A.
[ironic smile] I mean, there's always next year. [pauses] But...
[softly] I didn't want to find out how much he could hate me, too.

Akane: [bows head] You're not happy about what you did.

Nabiki: [slowly] Hai.

Akane: Why haven't you told him that you're sorry?

Nabiki: [calmly] Because I didn't think he'd believe me.

Akane: ...

Nabiki: Why should he? To him, my only interest in him is to make a quick yen.
Why would he believe me if I told him I was sorry?

Akane: I- I don't know.

Nabiki: [sighs] Maybe I'll just go take a walk along the pier. The fresh air
is kind of nice...

Akane: Oneechan.

Nabiki: Hmm?

Akane: Gomen ne. [pauses] If I could do it all over again...

[Nabiki sighs, then turns away from Akane.]

Nabiki: [softly] Don't worry about it. Let's just make the best of it, ok?

[Nabiki gets up and begins to walk away, leaving Akane on the rocky
outcropping. Akane watches her go sadly. Brushing her hair out of her eyes,
she gets up and backtracks her path along the beach.]

* * *

[Some time later, Nabiki finds herself in a deserted area of the beach. She
looks around, searching for some sign of life. A group of guys seem to be
surrounding something or someone by one sand dune. With a sigh, Nabiki heads
over to the group. As she reaches them, she sees Kasumi lying down tanning
herself in the center. Nabiki blinks in surprise.]

Nabiki: Oneechan?

Kasumi: [looking up] Nabiki! Hi!

Nabiki: [moving through the crowd] What are you doing?

Kasumi: [cheerfully] I was just telling these nice boys that I already have
enough suntan oil on my back.

Nabiki: [sweat drop] ...

Kasumi: Oh, Nabiki, I almost forgot I had something to ask you.

Nabiki: [blinks] You did?

Kasumi: [smiles] Hai. [looks around at the men surrounding them] Can you all
excuse us for a moment?

[Unhappy looks can be seen on all the members of the group, but they slowly
disappear. When the last of them leave, Kasumi continues talking to Nabiki.]

Kasumi: I wanted to know how things were between you and Ranma-kun. I noticed
some tension on the train ride earlier, and over by Father, and ...

Nabiki: [interrupts] Uh... well, that, um... you shouldn't really worry about
that. Ranma and I had an argument, that's all.

Kasumi: [concerned] Perhaps you two should talk then.

Nabiki: Really, oneechan, it's nothing to to worry about. He'll get over it.

Kasumi: But will you?

[Nabiki says nothing. Then she turns and makes her way back down the beach.]

Kasumi: [thinking] Nabiki...

* * *

[Later that afternoon. Akane reaches the pier and begins to search for Ranma.
She walks past the throng of people with binoculars and stops near the fishing
area. Not seeing Ranma, she leans on the railing and looks down to where the
people nearby are staring. On the beach, Kasumi is taking a leisurely stroll.
Akane smiles inwardly, then turns her attention to the beach closer to the
pier. Several surfers are making their way toward the beach, and many body-
boarders are hanging out and relaxing in the sun. Near the stairs to the pier,
however, Akane spots Ranma-chan sitting and watching. Akane makes her way over
to where her husband sits.]

Akane: [standing behind Ranma-chan] Ranma...

Ranma-chan: [without looking] Hi, Akane.

Akane: [sitting down] Hey, I didn't mean to upset you earlier, you know...

Ranma-chan: I know. Just that sometimes...

Akane: I know... [pauses] I talked to Nabiki earlier.

Ranma-chan: Oh? What'd she say?

Akane: [looking out at the ocean] Nothing I didn't already know.

Ranma-chan: What'd you expect her to say?

Akane: I don't know, really. I thought maybe I could do something to stop
this... this fight you two are having.

Ranma-chan: [turning to Akane] Why do you care, anyway? I'm just curious.

Akane: [snaps] Because she's my sister, and I love her.

[Ranma-chan turns back to the ocean.]

Akane: [a little quieter] And because you're my husband, and I love you.

[Several surfers that are walking down the stairs suddenly trip over their
boards and fall down in a jumble.]

Ranma-chan: [realization] Um... maybe I should ... y'know...

Akane: Right. Hot water.

Ranma-chan: [looks down] Um.. I think I'll need my clothing too.

Akane: [grins] Oh, I dunno. You might look good in speedos.

[Two more surfers fall over the railing. Akane blushes.]

Ranma-chan: Look, I'll talk to her... I just have to find the right time to
do it.

Akane: Promise?

Ranma-chan: Promise.

[Kasumi appears, walking under the pier. Several guys walk into the pier's
wooden supports as they try to follow her. Sweat drops form on Akane's and
Ranma-chan's heads.]

Akane: [loudly] Oneechan!

Kasumi: [looking up] Ah! Akane! Ranma-kun!

[Kasumi jogs slowly to the stairs and begins to climb. Ranma-chan blinks, then
rushes down to meet her.]

Ranma-chan: Uh... Kasumi, maybe we should just stay at ground level, ok?

Kasumi: [blinks, then looks down] Oh my! Yes, let's.

[Kasumi and Ranma-chan backtrack down to the beach.]

Kasumi: [cheerfully] How are you and Akane?

Akane: [making her way down the stairs] Doing ok, oneechan. How about you?

Kasumi: Well, I was coming over here because some of the nice boys invited me
to participate in a wet t-shirt contest.

[Ranma-chan and Akane look at each other.]

Ranma-chan: [quickly] That's not something you really want to do, Kasumi.
It involves a lot of work, and we're here to relax, remember?

Kasumi: [concerned] But...

Akane: [taking Kasumi's arm] Trust me, oneechan, it's more work than fun.

Ranma-chan: [nods] Yeah, you really should be relaxing and enjoying the sun
and surf. No need to play silly games.

Kasumi: But aren't games part of having fun?

Ranma-chan: ...

Akane: Oneechan... [sighs] Ok, look, the only reason that they want you to be
in the wet t-shirt contest is because they're a bunch of hentais who
want your body.

[Kasumi blinks. Akane looks at Ranma-chan. Ranma-chan looks back at Kasumi.]

Ranma-chan: Kasumi?

Kasumi: What's your point?

[Akane and Ranma-chan face-fault.]

Akane: Didn't you hear me?

Kasumi: Hai. I understood.

Ranma-chan: Then why...?

Kasumi: I said that the boys invited me to participate, not that I was going
to do it. Don't you think I know what a wet t-shirt will do to me in
this swimsuit?

[Akane and Ranma-chan hang their heads in shame.]

Kasumi: Look, don't worry about me, Akane-chan. I'm old enough to know what
a wet t-shirt contest is. They had them at the bar near my apartment.

Ranma-chan: Oh.

Kasumi: [sighs] Since I've been at college, I really haven't had that much
time to just go out and have fun, do crazy things... you know, like a
normal college student would. It's just been study, study, study.
I'd like to just let go every so often, you know?

Akane: But...

Kasumi: Oh, Akane-chan, really... you must trust me.

[For a long moment, no one says anything. Finally, Akane walks over and gives
Kasumi a hug.]

Akane: Be careful, ok?

Ranma-chan: [nods] And come get us if there're any problems.

Kasumi: [seriously] Hai!

[With a reassuring smile, Kasumi continues on her way down the beach. Akane
and Ranma-chan watch her go.]

Ranma-chan: Sometimes, I think college has changed her more than us.

Akane: [nods] Agreed. [grins] Listen, I'm going to head back... are you coming?

Ranma-chan: Nah... I'm gonna hang out here a bit longer... I'll meet you there
later.

[Ranma-chan moves to give Akane a kiss, then stops, realizing what form she's
in. Akane blushes.]

Ranma-chan: uh... See you later.

Akane: Right... see you later.

[Akane heads back to the Tendo camp. Ranma-chan sighs, then walks back up the
stairs in search of hot water.]

* * *

[Evening. On the pier, Nabiki walks up to where Ranma sits. Ranma has changed
back into male form, and is wearing a pair of ripped denim shorts and a loose
shirt, untucked and unbuttoned. Ranma looks up briefly, then goes back to
watching the waves. Nabiki sits on a nearby post, shooing away a seagull as
she does so.]

Nabiki: Nice breeze.

Ranma: Mm.

Nabiki: Makes me wish I was sailing the ocean. [pauses] Except without Kunou
this time.

Ranma: Mm.

Nabiki: [looks at Ranma] You know, you haven't said more than one word to me
the entire trip.

[Ranma begins to speak, then stops and looks away.]

Nabiki: [turns away] You can't ignore me forever, you know. We're family
now, like it or not.

Ranma: [monotone] As usual, I don't have much of a choice. [stands up]

[Nabiki stands up angrily and walks over to where Ranma was sitting. She stands
behind him with her arms folded across her chest.]

Nabiki: [angrily] Look at me!

[Ranma does not move. Nabiki grabs his shirt and spins him around to face her.
An angry expression is on her face. Ranma looks back emotionlessly.]

Nabiki: You listen to me! I've had enough of being talked down to and treated
like dirt by you. I deserve some respect, especially from you.

Ranma: Respect is earned, not given. You haven't earned my respect yet.

Nabiki: [shouting] How dare you! You don't even know half the story, and yet
you've already judged me!

Ranma: [growls] So talk already.

[Nabiki looks in Ranma's eyes once, then slowly releases his shirt.]

Nabiki: What do you think of me? Besides being a conniving backstabber,
that is.

Ranma: [thinks] How about "two-faced liar"? Or maybe "double-crossing
swindler"? Or maybe just "bitch"? [aloud] Nuthin'. I try not to think
about you.

[Nabiki looks at her feet momentarily, then back at Ranma.]

Nabiki: [nods grimly] Ok, fair enough. [pauses] I suppose that you've never
really liked me anyway. [shrugs] It doesn't matter.

Ranma: No, it doesn't. [looks away]

Nabiki: I'm not finished yet!

Ranma: [louder] Well get to the point, already!

Nabiki: [starting to shout] Did it ever occur to you that I have feelings
too? I'm just as human as you are, you know!

Ranma: [sarcastically] Oh yeah. That's it.

Nabiki: [angrily] What's that supposed to mean?

Ranma: [retorts] I'm "half-girl", remember? "Perfect" for Akane, remember?
Convenient of you to ignore my feelings then, ne?

[Nabiki remains silent.]

Ranma: [angrily] I'm nothing like you. Not one bit.

Nabiki: [muttering] Always the self-righteous one. Always the victim. Never
responsible for your own actions.

Ranma: When did I say...

Nabiki: When _didn't_ you say it? [faces Ranma] You'd like to think that you're
the victim, wouldn't you? Blaming your father for screwing up _your_
life! Truth is that at some point, you started choosing what you wanted
to do, your father didn't make you anymore!

Ranma: My father did everything thinking only of the Anything Goes School of
Martial Arts! He never thought about Mom or me, just the art! Even this
curse I have is his fault!

Nabiki: You had a choice! You had a choice to take any one of us instead of
Akane! You had a choice to fight Kunou that very first time! You had
a choice to take on each and every challenge! You can't keep blaming
your father for that!

Ranma: [loudly] Why not? He deserves at least half of everything that happens
to him.

Nabiki: [loudly] You're just as responsible as he is!

Ranma: [shakes his head] He brought it on himself.

Nabiki: [turns away, bitterly] Stubborn, just like your father.

Ranma: Nani?

Nabiki: [emphasizing every word] You heard me. You can ignore everyone and
everything around you because you think "It's not my fault!"

Ranma: At least _I_ care about other people's feelings!

Nabiki: [voice dripping with sarcasm] Oh, really. Did you know how Akane felt
before your wedding? Did you know how Ukyou felt?

[Ranma does not respond.]

Nabiki: [louder] How could you NOT know for _four years_ how Ukyou felt about
you? Some "best friend" you turned out to be.

[Ranma looks at the ground.]

Nabiki: Saotome, I admit that there were times early on that you were just a
walking money-making scheme to me. But that was early on. We all grew
to like you for who you were, all of us, myself included. You know,
at one point, I envied Akane for having you. Having someone who cared
about her that much, no matter what she did or thought or said.
Having someone who would fight demons and dragons to save her. I envy
that.

Ranma: [muttering] Sure you do.

Nabiki: Anyway, the point is that no matter what happened before, you're
family.

Ranma: [bitterly] And family does the things you made me do for that stupid
trophy...

Nabiki: [defensively] What I did was just as "honorable" as your martial-arts
tricks you've pulled in the past. You know, the "Saotome Ryuu Ougi?"**
[gets into a mock stance] Ready, set, run away!

** "Saotome Ryuu Ougi" = Saotome Secret Technique

Ranma: [sweat drop] ...

Nabiki: Or how about "Rouga Shuuhai-tai?"** Hey, what's that behind you?
[smacks fist] Whap! Or maybe...

** "Rouga Shuuhai-tai" = Wolf Fang Attack From Behind Figure

Ranma: [interrupts] Ok already!

Nabiki: [sighs] Look, I'm sorry... I never should have involved you. I didn't
need to, and I should've realized how badly you would take it. I guess
I let my feelings get in the way of my better judgement.

Ranma: [disbelievingly] You?

Nabiki: [hurt] Yes, me, Nabiki-the-ice-queen. [composes herself] We each had
our reasons for doing this, Ranma... Akane just wanted you two to do
something together, even if it was helping me out, and Ukyou wanted
to know how you felt about her...

Ranma: [low voice] And you just wanted to win that contest...

Nabiki: [softly] I kind of wanted you...

[Ranma's eyes widen.]

Ranma: [interrupting] Y-you.. Nani?

Nabiki: [loudly] Not like THAT, baka! I wanted to do something with you too.
You know, something that we both could do as... as a family. [stops
and looks down at her feet] Chikusho...

Ranma: I don't believe you.

Nabiki: W-why?

Ranma: [tight voice] Akane told me all about how you blackmailed her into
helping you get that trophy!

Nabiki: [quietly] Is that what she told you?

Ranma: [angrily] She's your own sister, for cryin' out loud!

Nabiki: [quietly] Look, the truth is that yes, I got her to help get me the
trophy. At the time, I thought it would help me get some business
contacts, especially within the Y.B.A. But looking back, it was one
of the worst decisions I ever made. [pauses] And I don't consider it
blackmail when I was calling in a favor. That's strictly business.

Ranma: Then why would she tell me that if she didn't help you that you'd tell
that baka Lardy where she lived so he could go harass her?

[Nabiki's eyes go cold.]

[*SLAP*]

[An angry red handprint marks Ranma's left cheek.]

Nabiki: [angrily] I never told her that I'd tell Tanaka-san! I only told her
that the favor for keeping him from finding out was due! You both know
my word is my bond, and I had already promised her that he'd never find
out from me. [takes a deep breath] I can't believe she'd think I'd do
that to my own sister. I could understand you thinking that. Maybe I'd
do that to someone who's not related to me... but not to family.

[Ranma looks away, his hands in his pockets.]

Nabiki: I can't believe you. You, the honorable martial artist, not even giving
your own family the benefit of doubt.

Ranma: Nabiki...

Nabiki: [sighs] Look, you've never really trusted me from day one. I know
that. I just ... needed your help.

Ranma: You could've just asked.

Nabiki: Actions speak louder than words.

Ranma: [rolls eyes] That's not an excuse.

[Nabiki looks at the ground.]

Nabiki: [softly] Have you ever had trouble telling someone what you really
felt?

[This time, Ranma looks at the ground.]

Ranma: When did you plan on telling me this? Next year? Never?

Nabiki: [low voice] I... I don't know. It got harder and harder to talk about
as time passed... But if we keep this up... [pauses] I don't want us
to hate each other.

[Ranma turns to face the ocean again.]

Ranma: If we were younger, maybe I'd forgive and forget easier... now...
I don't know. [pauses] It was a lot easier back then when you'd just
sell some pics of me in a bathing suit and I'd get mad and forget the
next day. Now...

Nabiki: [softly] I don't blame you.

Ranma: [sighs] I suppose that everyone deserves a second chance. Even you.

[At this Nabiki purses her lips and walks quickly to the edge of the pier.]

Ranma: [thinking] Nani? [aloud] Nabiki? C'mon, you don't have to cry about it.
[walks toward her slowly]

Nabiki: [slowly] I'm not crying.

Ranma: [reaching Nabiki] Look, it's not really that bad... I mean, it's not
like you tried to get me in trouble...

[Ranma trails off. His hand freezes in mid-air while reaching for Nabiki's
shoulder as he remembers his earlier conversation with Kasumi...

Kasumi: She said that I had given it to her. I had never seen
Father so mad before...

Ranma: What happened?

Kasumi: I hated my friend for a while. Then I realized that she
hadn't wanted me to get in trouble, she just didn't know
what else to do.

Ranma blinks and snaps out of his reverie. He touches Nabiki's shoulder and
slowly turns her around.]

Nabiki: [sniffles] Look, I know you and Akane made up already, and I know you
and Ukyou already talked. I just want to know if we're going to
continue this cold war or...

[Nabiki looks up at Ranma, the wind blowing through her hair. She looks
almost... scared, as Ranma seems to be turning things over in his own mind.]

Ranma: [takes a deep breath] Gomen nasai. Especially for the way I treated you.
I shouldn't have done it.

Nabiki: [sniffles] Apology accepted. [pauses] If you'll accept mine.

Ranma: [half-smiles] Hai!

Nabiki: [softly] Can we work on being friends again?

Ranma: [nods] You got it.

[Ranma and Nabiki hug each other, then break away after a long moment.]

Ranma: [pats his pockets] Hey! Where's my wallet? [grins] Just kidding.

[The two slowly break into a gentle laughter.]

Nabiki: [looks at her watch] We should be getting back. It's almost time to
go home.

Ranma: [sighs] I'll catch up to you. [thinking of Akane and Ukyou] I'm gonna
hang out here a bit longer.

Nabiki: [concerned] Are you ok?

Ranma: [nods] Un. I just gotta sort some stuff out, y'know?

Nabiki: Gotcha. I won't let them leave without you. [pokes Ranma's arm]

Ranma: [grins] Arigato.

[Ranma and Nabiki look at each other for a long moment, then Nabiki heads
back to the beach, leaving Ranma alone on the pier.]

Ranma: [thinking] What a mess... all because Ucchan wanted to know how I
felt about her.

[Ranma begins to walk along the pier, mindless of the seagulls and leftover
fishermen that dot the pier's pilings. He stops and watches a fisherman
repeatedly cast his line in one spot, getting increasingly frustrated with
each successive attempt. The fisherman finally gives up and leaves. Another
one takes his place almost immediately and on his first attempt lands a large
trout. Amused, Ranma continues on his way down the pier.]

Ranma: [thinking] I can't believed they tried to use me like that. [sighs]
I'm not some stupid puppet, for cryin' out loud.

[He stops and jumps up to perch on a particularly tall piling, scaring off a
seagull as he does so. The seagull circles around Ranma, squawking furiously,
but Ranma is oblivious, lost in thought.]

Ranma: [thinking] If Nabiki hadn't gotten involved, this never would've
happened. [pauses] No, that's not true. I guess they all did it because
they care... in one way or another. They probably would've found another
way to do it anyway... [shrugs] But they could've just asked.

[Looking out over the beach, he can just make out his family near the horizon.
He smiles a wistful smile, then diverts his attention to the seagull which has
given up squawking at him and is sulking at the base of his piling.]

Ranma: [aloud] Nani? Am I in your spot?

[The seagull squawks and flies up to where Ranma is squatting. Ranma tries to
shoo it away, but the seagull only circles back around. Ranma watches as the
seagull continues to circle, as if waiting patiently for him to leave.]

Ranma: [thinking] Why did they have to be so stupid? It wasn't right -
using me that way. [long pause] This ain't worth going in circles
again; they didn't mean to do any harm.

[The seagull circles once more, then flies off.]

Ranma: [thinking] Besides, it was over three months ago. No sense in bringing
it all back up again...

[Ranma jumps down off the piling and begins to walk down the pier toward the
stairs. The seagull returns and lands on the perch that Ranma had just
vacated. Ranma watches it for a moment, then smiles to himself.]

Ranma: [aloud] You were just waiting for me to leave, eh? [grins] You can have
your spot back. I don't want it anymore.

[He begins to walk off down the pier again.]

Ranma: [thinking] After all we've been through, this was nothing. [grins]
Besides, what kind of person doesn't forgive his own family? And
Ukyou's my friend... no matter what she does.

[Ranma stops and stares back at the seagull one last time.]

Ranma: [to himself] Maybe that gull's got the right idea after all. Maybe I
just had to wait until the time was right...

[He turns and heads down the stairs to the beach. At the bottom, he is
surprised to see Nabiki leaning against a piling, waiting for him.]

Nabiki: Hi.

Ranma: Hi. [pauses] I thought you...

Nabiki: Let's say I didn't feel like walking back by myself.

Ranma: [smiles] Ok.

[Ranma puts an arm around Nabiki's shoulders in a friendly hug, and the two
walk back to meet up with the rest of the family.]

* * *

[Ranma and Nabiki return to the spot where everyone else is starting to pack
up and get ready to go home. Akane, seeing the two return together, smiles and
gets up to meet them.]

Akane: I take it that things are ok between you two now?

Nabiki: You could say that. [smiles up at Ranma]

Akane: [blinks] Ranma?

Ranma: [grins] Hai. We talked for a while, and then... [pauses] we kinda came
to a mutual understanding...

Nabiki: ... that was beneficial to both parties.

[Akane looks back and forth between her husband and her sister. A sweat drop
begins to form. Both Nabiki and Ranma begin to laugh.]

Akane: [confused] What's so funny?

Nabiki: [giggles] Nothing, Akane. Ranma and I had it out over on the pier.

Akane: [warily] "Had it out?"

Ranma: [nods] It was more of a heated argument than anything else.

[Akane looks closer at Ranma, seeing the faint outline of a handprint on his
cheek. She turns to Nabiki.]

Akane: Oh really.

Nabiki: [sheepishly] I kinda... slapped him.

Ranma: [defensively] I didn't really notice. Really.

[Nabiki raises an eyebrow.]

Akane: So this "argument"... you two finally got things worked out?

Ranma: Hai. We came to the conclusion that what happened wasn't right, and
that if there's a next time...

Nabiki: [cuts in] Heaven forbid.

Ranma: [continues] ... we'll be up front about it.

Nabiki: [nods] And I'm going to work on my people skills a little more.
[glances at Ranma] That way, no more trying to avoid each other and
snapping at each other and all that.

Ranma: [grins] Same here.

Akane: [smiles] So... taking this trip to the beach WAS a good idea after all.

[Kasumi walks over to the trio. A surfer watching her collides with another,
sending both crashing into the waves, their boards flying into a group of
body-boarders. Ranma watches this and almost doubles over in laughter.]

Nabiki: [sardonically] Or not, as the case may be.

[Akane grabs Ranma's wrist and drags him over to Nodoka to help pack everything
back in the cooler. Kasumi stands watching next to Nabiki.]

Kasumi: Oh my! Did I interrupt?

Nabiki: [sighs] No, oneechan. Akane was just commenting on how this trip was
such a good idea.

Kasumi: [smiles] I agree. I think we should come back next week.

[The group of guys nearby immediately pull out notepads and write reminders
to themselves about next weekend furiously.]

Nabiki: I dunno. How many more swimsuits did you and Yuriko go buy?

Kasumi: [cheerfully] Oh, at least a dozen!

Soun: [from under umbrella] EEEYYYAAHHHHHH!!!!

* * *

[On the train back to Nerima, Akane and Ranma sit quietly by themselves next
to a window. Akane watches the forest greens and browns pass in a blur with a
happy, perhaps content, expression. Ranma, however, seems lost in thought.
Akane, sensing this, turns to him and looks into his eyes.]

Akane: What are you thinking about?

Ranma: Well, I was just thinking how badly I had treated Nabiki for the last
couple of months.

Akane: I think that this was a great idea to go to the beach, that way you
two could finally talk and be done with the whole silly mess.

Ranma: [smirking] Kind of like the way you did, eh?

Akane: [blinks] What do you mean?

Ranma: A quick explanation and you're done, right? That's how it's supposed to
work, right? [pauses] Well, I mean that I also talked to Nabiki about
what you had told me, about her blackmailing you into helping. [pauses]
I guess I'd like to know, in your own words, why you went along with it
in the first place. I mean, I know what you said before... I just want
to know the reasons _why_.

Akane: [softly] Are you mad?

Ranma: [puts an arm around Akane] No, but I'd like to know.

Akane: [snuggles up to his chest] Well... [sighs] I guess it started when...

[Ranma strokes Akane's hair as she begins to tell her tale. The two talk in
quiet whispers as the train whizzes through the countryside, continuing its
journey back to the prefecture.]

* * *

[As the sun sets completely, a girl wearing a dark one-piece bathing suit
walks by the place where the Tendos had been. She watches the last rays
disappear over the sandy dunes, then flips her ponytail over her shoulder
and turns to face the ocean.]

Girl: So... they've returned. [smiles] Well, I have a surprise for them when
they return home... OHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOOOOO!!!

finis.

There's a dark cloud ahead +---------------------------------------+
A place we can't see | Writers: ........... Paul Gallegos |
We don't know what tomorrow holds | ............... David Tai |
But believe you me | ....... John Walter Biles |
| ............. Jeff Hosmer |
Take it one day at a time +---------------------------------------+
Don't try to hide | Artist: .......... Jong Man Hwang |
Take the reins of your life | |
Make a choice - gotta decide 'cause +---------------------------------------+
| DnR Companion: Mike "Nelson" Gulick |
You get one chance +---------------------------------------+
One chance to get it right | Special Thanks to: ............ J., |
That's what I was told | Tucson Animation Screening Society, |
But after all this time | and of course Rumiko Takahashi |
And now I know | Copyright (c) 1997 |
There's always a second chance | Digital Knight Communications |

"Ranma 1/2" and its characters Copyright (c) 1997
Viz Communications, Inc., Shogakukan, Kitty Animation
and Rumiko Takahashi