[Ranma][Fanfic] Nabiki-New Horizons Part 5

Uncle Fester

Jan 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/20/97

Nabiki - New Horizons
Part 5 - Matrimony, Tendo Style
By Uncle Fester

Under Doctor Tofu's constant care, Jeff recovered quickly. Less
than a month after the assassination attempt, Jeff was back to doing
all the things Tofu warned him against; jogging, shopping, romantic
afternoons with Nabiki.
At Kasumi's gentle urging, Nabiki and Jeff agreed that it was
time to fulfill Nabiki's promise and hold a 'family' Shinto wedding
ceremony.
For Nabiki, this was supposed to be the opportunity she dreamed
of all through high school. The last chance to 'put the bite' on all
those who made her life miserable at Furinkan High School; her final
revenge.
Somehow, that no longer seemed important to her. Embracing the
shinobi philosophy, and following her own advice to the late Sodoshi
Tanaka, she was going to provide a surprise for all her former
classmates. A surprise neither would ever forget.

It wasn't as if they weren't recognized as a married couple,
their American marriage was already accepted in Japan. It was just
that Nabiki felt it important to clearly establish her Japanese
relationship to Jeff. To do that, they went so far as to get their
joint koseki properly registered. The registration process, itself,
turned out to be a comedy of errors. First, they wanted Jeff's family
background detailed back 10 generations. That took almost a week and
a ton of money to gather. Secondly, they refused to accept Nabiki's
chosen name; Tendo-Lawrence. It seems they had a problem with
hyphenated names. In the end, Nabiki was forced to either accept
'Lawrence' as her last name or have Jeff change his to 'Tendo'. That
set off a negotiation battle lasting two hours and having all the
civility of an American labor union vs. management contract meeting.
In the end, Nabiki relented, officially, and accepted 'Lawrence'.
However, Jeff had to give Nabiki control of two small corporations and
agree to allow her to use Tendo-Lawrence in all Japanese business
dealings.
For awhile, Nabiki was convinced she got the best of her husband;
until she found out that Jeff was going to divest his portfolio of
both failing, unprofitable, and essentially worthless companies
anyway. As Nabiki was caught with stock worth less than the paper it
was printed on, Jeff proved, once again, he was his wife's equal in
business negotiation. Clearly, she had a lot to learn about corporate
trading. Still, she took it well; Jeff only had to sleep out in the
dojo two nights before being welcomed back in Nabiki's bed.

Kasumi cheerfully took control of the ceremony preparations.
Refusing to use any of Nabiki's money, she threw herself into
preparing a lovely little ceremony complete with paper decorations and
traditional trappings.
Happily humming to herself, Kasumi hung the last of the paper
decorations and stepped back to assess her work.
"Looks nice, Oneechan," Nabiki called from the dojo's main door.
Kasumi slowly turned to smile at her younger sister; a smile that
dissolved into a slight frown of concern when she saw Nabiki's face.
Over the years, Kasumi had developed the ability to 'read' her
sister's emotions. She could tell Nabiki was troubled by something.
"I think the family shrine would look best over there," Kasumi
noted with a serious expression and pointing to the far corner. In
reality, she had already decided where to put the family shrine. Her
suggestion was more a prompt to get Nabiki to open up.
"Really, it's fine where it is." Nabiki finally replied.
With a satisfied sigh, Kasumi sat on one of the front row chairs
and looked long and hard at her little sister. They had never been
real close, their relative ages being what they were. Kasumi had
developed more of a relationship with Akane than her younger sibling.
Still, over the last year, much had happened to bring the two girls
closer together; primarily caused by the traumatic events that
recently surrounded the family. Nabiki rarely sought out her older
sister for much of anything, considering her too much like her mother
for Nabiki's taste. However, tonight, after much thought, Nabiki felt
the need for her sister's company. There was something she needed to
say; if she could just find the words to say it.
Kasumi gently patted the chair next to her as an invitation for
Nabiki to sit awhile and talk. Like the simple act of sitting down
was a great effort, Nabiki slid into the indicated seat; her hands
tightly clasped together, her eyes searching the floor to avoid
looking at her sister. Many had labeled Kasumi 'simple minded'
because of her apparent contentment with domestic life. Nabiki never
bought such an obvious mischaracterization.
"I really want to thank you for agreeing to have this ceremony,"
Kasumi began. "I'm sure mother would have been very happy with your
decision."
"That's what I wanted to talk to you about," Nabiki replied, her
eyes finally catching on the family shrine. "I guess it's really *I*
who should be thanking you for all this." She waived her hand briefly
to indicate the decorated dojo.
"Nonsense," Kasumi dismissed her sister's assertion. "You didn't
*have* to do this for mother. I know how you two never really got
along."
That drew Nabiki's attention as she turned suddenly to look
directly at her sister. What Kasumi had said was, of course, totally
true. Nabiki and her mother *did* have many disagreements, even
considering Nabiki's young age. Often, these led to Nabiki being sent
to her room, kneeling in a corner, and contemplating her actions. So
she worked hard at avoiding her mother. She took to hanging out with
her friends more, staying away from home more, and even spending more
time at school to avoid having to deal with her mother.
That all changed the night her mother went into the hospital for
the last time. Suddenly, seeing her mother was the most important
thing in her life; an obsession that could only be quenched by one
thing - a visit to the hospital. She remembered sneaking out one
night and traveling halfway across town, on her own, to try and get
past the nurses to visit her mother. It didn't work. A seven-year-old
mind, even one as calculating as Nabiki's, didn't stand a chance
against the efficient nursing staff of the hospital. Caught and held
far from her mother's room, Nabiki had to endure the indignity of
listening to the head nurse call her home for someone to come get her.
It was Kasumi who made the late-night trek, foregoing homework and
housework, to retrieve the brooding Nabiki and drag her reluctantly
home. It was Kasumi who always cleaned the house, made the beds, did
the laundry, shopped for the food and prepared, as best she knew how,
the daily meals, all while trying to keep up with her own studies.
No, Kasumi was no simpleton. No one could have continued to get the
kind of grades she did under those circumstances unless they were
exceptionally bright.
Perhaps, that's what bothered Nabiki so much. Kasumi continued
to excel in school despite all the distractions while Nabiki had to
struggle for every grade point, excelling only in mathematics. All
the while, Nabiki was playing, having a good time with her friends,
avoiding any responsibilities at home. She owed her older sister -
owed her big. That fact tore at her constantly. She *hated* owing
anybody.
Even after she started doing the family books, she still saw
Kasumi doing the bulk of the domestic chores; never complaining, never
looking to avoid the work.
Now, Nabiki had another guilt to bear. While Kasumi did all the
work and deserved all the rewards for such, it was Nabiki who found
the ideal husband; one rich enough to have relieved Oneechan from ever
having to cook a meal or wash a sock again. Instead, Nabiki was going
off to live a happy, carefree life while her older sister continued to
slave away, trying to make the Tendo house a home; doing the job her
mother would have done. There was no way she could repay her sister
for ten years of her life. There was no way she could ever repay her
sister for anything.
"Kasumi," she gulped, fighting back a tear. "I... I just want to
... you know." Words failed the usually eloquent Nabiki.
"What?" Kasumi actually looked like she didn't have a clue as to
what her sister was talking about. Perhaps she had been doing the
domestic thing so long that she failed to grasp just how vital her
contribution to the family was.
"You know, mother really is proud of you." Kasumi said sweetly
like she was simply relaying something their mother had told her that
afternoon. It shocked and surprised the usually unflappable Nabiki.
With a move that amazed even Nabiki, she threw her arms around
her older sister, kissed her on the cheek, and whispered through her
impossibly emotional hug: "Thank you, Oneechan. For everything you've
done for me. I know I didn't deserve it but without you... I love
you, Kasumi." With that, Nabiki bolted for the dojo's door,
disappearing into the night as she headed back to the residence.
Stunned, Kasumi could only hold her fingers lightly over the spot
where her sister, only moments before, had kissed her; something
Nabiki and *never* done before. Her startled look slowly dissolved
into a satisfied smile.
<Yes mother. She *has* matured a lot over the last few months.>
Kasumi grinned broadly now as she looked at the family shrine.
<I guess we didn't do so badly with her after all.>
With a satisfied sigh, Kasumi walked to the door and switched off
the lights; content with the knowledge that all was as it should be.

Jeff tried to sleep but found it difficult with Nabiki's half of
the bed empty. The desk lamp shining in his eyes didn't help.
Tiredly, he rolled onto his side and eyed his wife with curiosity.
She was sitting at her old desk studiously writing with practiced
strokes. Her face was a study of intense concentration as she worked
on page after page. Slowly, Jeff raised himself up onto one elbow and
cleared his throat. Nabiki's reaction was that of someone caught
cheating on a test; her embarrassment clear on her tired face.
"Whatcha doin Nabsie?" Jeff asked with a yawn. "Makin a list and
checkin it twice?"
A short, embarrassed smile flickered across Nabiki's pretty face
as her hands slowly moved to cover her work.
"Nothing, my love. Go back to sleep." Her voice sounded
unnaturally soft and far away. "I'll be to bed soon."
"Nabiki, you've been up late every night this week." Jeff noted
as he started getting out of bed.
"I said I'll be to bed soon." Her voice sounding a bit panicked
as she quickly scrambled to cover the papers on her desk. She ended
with a 'look' of warning in her husband's direction.
Jeff immediately took the hint and quickly slid back under the
covers, with a look of concern on his face.
"Is there something I should know about?" He asked punching his
pillow more out of frustration than a need to make it more
comfortable. Nabiki was keeping secrets from him again and he didn't
like it.
"It's nothing... really," she stopped covering her papers and
resumed looking guilty, her eyes darting from her husband to the desk
in front of her. Slowly, her fingers flexed on the papers. Tiny
beads of sweat began to form on her brow. Her secret surprise was at
stake. No one, not even her husband, must know its details.
"Really, Jeff..." She paused looking like she wanted to say more
but exhaustion and fear of discovery prevented her. "I'll be to bed
soon." The last she almost whispered.
Jeff stared at his wife for several seconds before finally
nodding agreement and covering himself with the sheets. Turning onto
his side and facing the wall, he offered one last thought. "Ok, Nabs.
Just don't stay up too late. Morning comes early around here, you
know."
Nabiki weakly nodded and returned to her writing. She had only
this night to finish. She *had* to have the notes done by morning or
her surprise would be ruined. Diligently, she worked on into the
night, pausing only occasionally to check that Jeff was still
sleeping. She didn't like hiding things from him like this but it was
very important to her... most important to *her* purpose for the
ceremony.

The 'wedding' day dawned as usual in the Tendo household. Kasumi
cooking, Akane working out, and Nabiki in the toilet throwing up.
Jeff was more than a little concerned about his wife's repeated
morning 'activities'. Kasumi kept assuring him that Nabiki was just
nervous. Outwardly, Jeff accepted Kasumi's explanation but harbored
his suspicions that he knew the truth; his wife was in the first
stages of pregnancy. Still, he declined to confront her with his
suspicions. No point in starting a war on his wedding day.
"You alright?" he asked intercepting Nabiki coming back to their
room. "You look like hell."
"Fine." she grumped sarcastically. "Just fine. I *enjoy* my
mornings in there." She waived a hand towards the toilet room. "You
try staying up all night before your wedding..."
It was obvious she wasn't fine. Looking like someone who was
exhausted and just purged her system, she was anything but fine.
Still, Jeff wasn't going to risk his wife's wrath on their second
wedding day. He wanted a marriage based on trust. You don't get that
by questioning and confronting all the time.

They dressed for the ceremony; she in Kasumi's room and he in
'their' room.
Jeff only needed the guidance of Soun Tendo about how to wear the
traditional formal wedding kimono. Nabiki, however, needed a cast of
thousands. Short of such, she settled for her older sister.
"I can't believe I'm wearing this ridiculous outfit," Nabiki
moaned as she struggled to get into her wedding kimono.
"Now, Nab-chan," Kasumi cooed. "You promised to do this for
mother, remember?"
"I know," Nabiki sighed as she remembered making the promise back
in Hawaii. "It's just I don't want to wear all this... this...
stuff." She flapped her arms as much as possible in the constraining
garment. "Couldn't I just wear a regular kimono?"
Kasumi stopped pinning the hem of the elaborate wedding kimono,
sat back on her heels and looked at her younger sister with
displeasure.
"Honestly, Nabiki. You make this sound like you're making some
great sacrifice or something." she scolded. "It's only for a few
hours. Then you can get back into whatever you want."
"What about the hirooen - the reception?" Nabiki sniffed. "You
know I have to appear there still dressed like this." She shook her
head again. "A couple of hours." She snorted more disdainful than
before.
"Nab-chan, a change of attire between the ceremony and the
hirooen is not considered a breach of tradition." Kasumi sighed as she
went back to pinning Nabiki's wedding kimono. "Just don't appear at
the hirooen in jeans."
Their discussion was interrupted by Akane's arrival. Wearing a
beautiful blue and gold kimono, her hair done to perfection, she swept
into the room like a ray of sunshine. Kasumi smiled at the sight of
her and sighed happily. Nabiki just looked bored.
"So what's taking so long?" Akane chirped. "Having troubles
getting Miss Money-britches into her kimono?" She was clearly
enjoying the opportunity to return some of Nabiki's earlier barbs.
"You like this, you wear it." Nabiki growled indicating her
uncomfortable wedding garment. "It's no piece of cake getting into
this... costume."
Akane chuckled and offered to help finishing dressing her older
sister. It was clear she needed help. At least, Kasumi needed the
help.
All went well as the girls finished preparing their sister. In
response to recent tragic events, both Akane and Kasumi had thrown
themselves into this festive occasion. Kasumi because it was in honor
of their mother and Akane because she truly needed something to cheer
her up after the trials of the prophecy.
"Are the guests arriving?" Nabiki asked absently with a small
smile. If everyone she invited showed up, her surprise would be
complete. She knew they would be expecting this to be her revenge'
on all who shunned her in high school. She also knew, they would
figure the customary 10,000 yen wedding gift to be Nabiki's final
insult. After all, *she* was the first to get married. *She* was the
one marrying a rich man. *She* didn't need the money. And they fully
expected her to rub their noses in it.
That wasn't Nabiki's plan. She had grown since graduation. Both
marriage and the recent shinobi trouble had aged and matured her.
Still, she had one more step to take before she could fully cut loose
her petty past. She would use the wedding to restore her honor among
her contemporaries and establish, once and for all, the kind of woman
she wished to be. All she wanted from them now was their respect. If
she could just survive this damn kimono.
"There's going to be a full house, Nabiki," Akane assured her
older sister. "It looks like the entire school decided to come."
"They'd better," Nabiki swore softly. She meant it too.
The Tendo sisters finished dressing their sister and stood back
to admire their handiwork. Nabiki had been transformed from a
thoroughly modern young lady to a white faced, tightly trussed,
traditional Japanese bride - and she didn't like it one bit.
"I had no idea this rig was so hot and uncomfortable," she
lamented trying to get her arms up high enough to adjust the
irritating headgear.
"No no no," Kasumi cautioned slapping Nabiki's hands away from
her head. "You'll knock it off."
"Yeah, you don't want to uncover your 'horns of jealousy'," Akane
snickered.
"I'd bop you but I can't get my damn hands up that high," Nabiki
growled, her face wrinkled in a snarl.
"Stop that," Kasumi groaned. "You'll get creases in your
makeup."
Nabiki just rolled her eyes and suffered more as Kasumi fixed her
pasty white face. When finished, Nabiki looked like a perfect Ningyo
doll. Actually, she moved with about as much grace as a doll;
clumsily.
"Come on, sweetie," Akane chuckled when she saw how much trouble
her sister was having walking. "We'll help you down to the ceremony."
"By the way," Nabiki thought out loud. "Why exactly is it so
difficult to move in this?"
"Traditionally, so the bride can't run away." Kasumi answered
helping her sister towards the door.
"Does anyone in their right mind think I'd run away from *this*
kind of money?"
The two other sisters just exchanged knowing looks. Under all
that makeup and clothing was still the same old Nabiki.
With some trouble, they were able to get her out into the hallway
where they encountered Jeff coming from his dressing room. His
bemused expression forewarned them of one of his quips. Nabiki shot
him a quick 'look'.
"One word," she warned. "Just one word, and you'll need Doctor
Tofu again."
"If she can just get her hands up high enough." Akane giggled.
Jeff opened his mouth and quickly closed it again. <No sense
getting the crap beat out of you on your wedding day.> he thought.

It took about ten minutes and the help of the resident fathers,
Soun (sobbing all the way) and Genma (luckily, still in human form),
to get the bride down to the first floor of the residence.
"How many steps did you build into this place?" Nabiki snapped.
"Fear not, daughter," Soun sniffed back some tears. "We'll get
you to the dojo in time."
"In time for what?! New Years?"
Akane, watching all the trouble her sister was going through just
to get off the second floor of the residence, quietly vowed to get
dressed downstairs when *her* time came.

With Akane and Jeff's help, Nabiki was maneuvered onto a large
pillow in front of the window looking out towards the main gate. As
her mother's mountain tradition dictated, Nabiki would remain there on
display until time for the ceremony. With Jeff standing by her side,
the wedding couple watched as their guests arrived. Akane continued
to fuss with her sister's kimono; Kasumi having disappeared to get
dressed herself. She wanted her sister to look perfect while on
display.
"I feel like a damn department store window exhibit," Nabiki
growled while trying to maintain her static display position.
"At least you're sitting down," Jeff taunted. He wasn't really
being cruel; just keeping up the game of 'one upmanship' they had
begun in courtship.
"On my legs," Nabiki's eyes rolled her husband's direction.
"I'll be lucky if I can stand after all this *sitting*." Clearly,
Nabiki was still up to playing 'the game' with her husband.
Holding hands with his bride, Jeff was beginning to get into the
spirit of the event when he spotted the first of the unwelcome guests.
His hand tightened painfully in Nabiki's.
"Careful, Jeffrey," she winced. "You're breaking my hand."
"Who invited them?" he growled staring at the arriving pair.
Nabiki quickly scanned the milling guests until her eyes caught
the arriving Kunos. She winced again, this time out of irritation.
"Well *I* didn't invite them. I gave the invitation list to..."
She paused and both she and Jeff turned to a slowly retreating younger
sister.
"AKANE!" they both yelled. The guests nearest the window
flinched at the outburst - in spite of the fact they should've been
prepared for such at a Tendo wedding.
"What?!?" she protested, freezing only a meter from the door and
freedom. "You said invite 'everybody'."
"But *not* the 'head cases'." Nabiki snarled. "And *they* are the
biggest 'head cases' in Nerima."
"Yeah, but they're rich." Akane still looked startled as she
tried to explain her reasoning. "They're sure to bring more than the
minimum 10,000 yen. Besides, Tatewaki *was* one of your classmates."
"Akane, all they gave us at the first wedding was trouble and a
cheap toaster." Jeff noted.
"I'm sure they'll behave themselves this time." Akane sounded
more hopeful than certain.
"They better," Jeff hissed turning back to the window.
Jeff's attention was drawn from the Kuno's to another strangely
dressed pair. The girl, with long purple hair, was dressed in a
beautiful Chinese dress slit practically to the waist, exposing an
indecent length of shapely leg. The guy was wearing long, formal
white robe that hid his hands; only his black slippered feet were
visible below the robe's hem. What was even more unusual, he wore
thick lensed glasses.
"Now, *there's* and unusual pair," Jeff remarked with a touch of
mirth. "Although, the girl's not bad." he added under his breath.
Akane and Nabiki face-faulted.
"Aaaah, Akane," Nabiki said with a worried tone. "Did you invite
Shampoo to my wedding?"
"I'm not sure," Akane said softly with a shy ducking of her head.
"I sent out a lot of invitations. I might have sent one to
Shampoo..."
"Have you lost your mind?! Do you have any idea what'll happen
when she sees Ranma?!" Nabiki forgot all about her makeup as she
scowled at her sister.
"Is there something I should know?" Jeff finally asked, certain
he was voyaging into the uncharted waters of family secrets.
The two sisters exchanged worried looks before Nabiki finally
answered.
"You know about Ranma's... er, little problem," Nabiki started
softly.
"Yes..." Jeff knew he wasn't going to like what was coming next.
"Well, he also has a few other... complications."
"Complications?"
"Three to be exact." Nabiki paused to look at Akane.
"Three more? Worse than the 'changing' thing?" Jeff was
genuinely interested... and confused. Ranma changing into a girl each
time he got wet was bad enough. Jeff couldn't imagine anything worse
than that.
"Kodachi, Ukyou, and Shampoo." Akane added with a snort of
disgust. "All want Ranma."
"All... *want*... Ranma?" Jeff asked dumbstruck. "He's got three
girls after him?"
"Well, four; if you count Akane," Nabiki grinned with a
mischievous look.
"I'm *not* after Ranma," Akane bristled. <I've *already* got
him.> she thought with some satisfaction.
"And they're all coming?" Jeff was beginning to understand the
danger. Any one of these guests could become a problem should they
catch sight of Ranma.
"I think so..." Akane blushed slightly. "At least, two of them
have already arrived. Ukyou will probably be coming too." She had
sent out so many invitations that she'd lost track of just who had
been invited. There had been two lists; one for those that should be
invited and the other for those who should not be invited. It was
beginning to look like, somehow, the lists got intermingled and Akane
wound up sending invitations to just about everyone. Inadvertently,
she may have presented her sister with a wedding disaster greater than
Hawaii.
Nabiki decided decisive action was necessary.
"Akane, go get Kasumi. We'll have to deal with this quickly."
She tried to smile at the crowd outside the way Kasumi had showed her
as Akane scrambled to find their older sister. "Jeff-chan, it's worse
that you think. They all hate each other as well. They're liable to
destroy the entire compound trying to kill each other and claim
Ranma."
Jeff began wondering if this wedding was such a good idea to
begin with.
"That's only the half of it," Nabiki continued. "There are others
who want Ranma dead."
"Dead? Why?"
"I donno. Maybe just because he's Ranma."
"That's enough to justify killing him?"
"For Ranma, that seems to be all that's necessary."
To the gathered crowd outside, Nabiki looked perfect in her
attire and expression. Jeffery looked like someone who just ate some
bad sushi.

With everyone present, Nabiki quickly made her assignments.
Which wasn't easy considering she had to remain fairly still to be
admired by the milling crowd outside. Jeff got the Kunos (much to his
irritation), Kasumi drew the Chinese pair (more Jeff irritation),
Akane wound up having to hunt for Ukyou.

After a short search, Jeff found the Kunos standing under one of
the family's cherry trees near the dojo. They were both formally and
traditionally dressed in their silken finest; looking like Japanese
royalty. Whatever Jeff might have thought about them, personally, he
had to admit, they had style.
<Well, no sense putting this off.> Jeff thought with a sigh.
"Welcome Kuno Tatewaki and Lady Kodachi," Jeff said formally as
he approached the pair.
"Salutations, Lawrence-san," Tatewaki Kuno replied with a formal
bow. Jeff noted his bow was fairly moderate, indicating Kuno's
acknowledgment of his new status. Quite an accomplishment considering
their earlier meeting. Perhaps he had finally gained some respect of
the former upperclassman. Kodachi silently duplicated her brother's
formality. Jeff couldn't help but notice how beautiful Kodachi looked
in a formal kimono. If she wasn't so crazy, she would most certainly
attract the attentions of some handsome young man.
"Kuno-san, I want you to understand I hold no malice towards you
or your sister for what happened in Hawaii." Jeff began, his voice
calm and controlled. He was going to be careful with these two. The
last thing he wanted was to create a scene. "However, I hope there
will not be a repeat of the unpleasantness we experienced at the first
wedding."
"I recall the incident," Tatewaki replied in an equally measured
voice. He was here only because he received a formal invitation and
honor dictated he accept such a request. He wasn't happy with Jeff's
bringing up the past and willingly said so. "I believe *I* was the
offended party."
Jeff glanced at Kodachi. The frown on her pretty face told him
she, too, recalled Hawaii as being the victim of Jeff and his friends.
He decided to try the 'high road' approach.
"Kuno-san, both Ranma and Akane are going to be here today. I
understand your infatuation with Akane." He didn't really but figured
the acknowledgment would go a long ways towards bridging the gap
between them. "I need your assistance with a problem."
Tatewaki's face lost all expression as he stared at the young
American. Jeff had seen this face before. It accurately reflected
Kuno's brain seizing up, caused, no doubt, the by the thought of Jeff
requiring *his* help. All that was missing were the faint wisps of
smoke coming from Mr. Blue Thunder's ears. In any case, Jeff pressed
on.
"As one honorable man to another, I hope you will help a couple
of former classmates honor Nabiki's late mother with this Shinto
ceremony by preventing embarrassing... interruptions."
Jeff's approach apparently struck a cord in the senior Kuno
sibling as he considered the request for only a moment before
agreeing. After all, his assistance would put the requirement of a
future favor on the American; an opportunity not to be missed.
"While my affections for the lovely Akane Tendo are no concern of
yours, gaijin," The elder Kuno crossed his arms and assumed, what he
believed to be, a noble stance. "I will honor your request and grant
you my assistance in memory of the woman who gave life to my beloved
Akane."
Kodachi shot her brother a disgusted look before nodding her
agreement as well. She still had plenty of time to turn Ranma to
hers. Besides, the pushy Tendo girl was doing this for her mother.
Somehow, that made it easier to accept.
Satisfied, Jeff pressed on to close whatever divisions remained.
"You honor this humble dwelling with your presence, noble Kuno,"
Jeff bowed deeper this time. "On behalf of my wife, Tendo-Lawrence
Nabiki and myself, I welcome you to our wedding ceremony."
Both Kunos returned Jeff's bow and, with enigmatic smiles,
departed for the dojo; apparently convinced Jeff Lawrence was
acknowledging their elevated social status.
As the couple wandered away, Jeff overheard their final hushed
comments.
"Tendo-Lawrence? What a ridiculous name."
"Shush, sister dear. We're guests here."
Jeff discharged a deep breath as he leaned lightly against the
cherry tree, relief washing over every fiber of his body. Both
Tatewaki and Kodachi were highly unstable individuals. Still, they
*did* hold to a code of honor that should guarantee their proper
behavior for the next few hours - as long as no one finds a way to
'set them off'. Jeff crossed his arms and looked casually around.
Most of the guests were former high school classmates of his wife's; a
few *he* even recognized. He had to grin quietly to himself when he
caught the arrival of the trio of 'samurai' who used to torment him
every day. Their last meeting obviously had a profound affect on the
trio because as soon as they spotted him, they practically skidded to
a halt, bowed waist deep, and quickly moved on to the dojo. Jeff
watched with his best 'Shogun' look; what we'd call an alpha dog'
stare in the West. Inside, Jeff was chuckling to himself. <There'll
be no trouble from those three today.>

Kasumi found the Chinese pair near the small koi pond, apparently
arguing something important. These two, more than any of the other
guests, were the least knowledgeable about Japanese Shinto wedding
customs. Subsequently, they were the most dangerous in this
situation; the most likely to set off after Ranma and ruin all of
Kasumi's careful wedding plans. She knew the challenge of what she
was about to do but also knew the importance of preventing disruption
of her sister's wedding ceremony. With a deep breath and a sense of
purpose, she approached.
"Ohayo, Shampoo-san," Kasumi greeted the Chinese couple with a
formal bow.
Kasumi's politeness was totally lost on the touchy Amazon who
spun around with surprise, her 'discussion' with Mousse having been
interrupted before resolution.
"Have invitation," she said defensively. "Mousse, show."
Her bespectacled companion immediately produced Akane's formal
invitation from the sleeve of his robe.
"Have gift too," Shampoo said with a small frown. "Mousse?"
Without expression, Mousse produced an appropriately decorated
envelope with his other hand.
Kasumi allowed the couple to exchange a short, sharp Chinese
conversation before proceeding. Obviously, there was some
disagreement over an aspect of their presence.
"I welcome you both to our home," Kasumi paused to swallow.
"This ceremony is in honor of our mother and, because you are not
Japanese, you might not fully understand its importance."
"Shampoo understand honoring ancestors," she replied cutting off
Kasumi. "Shampoo thought this was wedding. What has honoring
ancestors to do with wedding?"
Kasumi smiled warmly. This was going to be easier than she
thought. All she had to do is explain the linkage between her
sister's wedding and how it honors their late mother. Sounded simple.
"Nabiki requested this ceremony for her mother," Kasumi summed up
with a smile. She was certain this would explain everything to
Shampoo's satisfaction. Obviously, something got lost in the
translation.
"Nabiki mother dead over 10 years," Shampoo's eyes narrowed
suspiciously. "How she ask mother about ceremony?"
Kasumi blinked in surprise. Something was not fitting together.
Her simple solution was slipping away. "No, no, this ceremony is *in
honor* of her mother."
Shampoo eyed the eldest Tendo daughter with increased suspicion.
"In honor?"
"Hai, in memory of her mother."
"In memory of?"
"Hai." Kasumi finally felt secure that Shampoo understood.
"Shampoo understand honoring ancestors. Shampoo not understand
what this has to do with wedding."
Kasumi was in trouble and knew it. It might have been the
language barrier. It might have been the cultural barrier. It might
have been that Shampoo simply didn't *want* to understand. Kasumi's
face did a single twitch.
"This.. Ceremony.. Is.. In.. Honor.. Of.. Nabiki's.. Mother."
Kasumi felt talking slower to the barely bilingual Shampoo would help.
"In honor?"
"Hai."
"Like in memory of?"
"Hai."
"Shampoo understand honoring ancestors. Shampoo not understand
what this has to do with wedding."
Kasumi almost slapped her forehead out of frustration. She
couldn't believe that Shampoo didn't understand the relationship
between the wedding and the memory of her mother. Kasumi decided to
try explaining to Shampoo's escort; Mousse.
Turning to the Chinese male, Kasumi's head lowered slightly and
moved back and forth as she tried to see through the thick glasses he
wore. She wanted to make sure she had eye contact with the white-robed
Chinese Amazon consort before explaining. Something that was proving
harder than it sounded.
"Mousse, could you explain to Shampoo about how this ceremony is
in honor of Nabiki's late mother." Kasumi was practically pleading
now.
"No talk to Mousse." Shampoo snapped. "Talk to Shampoo. Shampoo
Amazon warrior."
<Shampoo Amazon twit.> Kasumi thought rashly before her usual
control took hold once again. <OK, I'll try this one... more... time.>
"All I am saying... is that this Shinto wedding ceremony... is
being held to honor... Nabiki's late mother...
<Yes mother. She's a twit.>
...and we are hoping... there will be no trouble...
<You stupid reject from a martial arts movie.>
...due to the fact... that Ranma Saotome... will be in
attendance."
<And what you see in *that* boy is beyond me.>
Shampoo blinked several times as she stared at the smiling
Kasumi.
"Shampoo understand honoring ancestors, Shampoo not understand
what this has to do with wedding."
Many heard the splash and saw the placid looking Kasumi briskly
striding away from the koi pond. Few noticed that the Chinese girl
was suddenly gone.

Jeff almost tripped over a small white cat that was running
through the compound pursued by the white robed Chinese fellow.
"I didn't know the Tendos had a cat," Jeff mused as he watched
the cat scramble out the main gate, still followed by the Chinese guy.
"Perhaps it's the Chinese guy's lunch or something."
Jeff quickly caught up with Akane as she searched for the elusive
Ukyou.
"Well, the Kuno's are taken care of," Jeff sounded pleased with
himself. "How're we doing about the girl with the oversized spatula
and overdeveloped hots for loverboy?"
Akane shot Jeff a thoroughly disgusted look before returning to
scanning the crowd for her rival.
Jeff got the hint and quickly mumbled something about checking on
Nabiki before retreating back to the residence.
Akane shook her head. <Sometimes honorable brother-in-law not
know when to shut up.> she thought with mild irritation. <Probably
comes from being a smart-ass American.>
Akane and Ukyou spotted each other about the same time. Akane
didn't immediately recognize her rival without her usual bandolier and
oversized spatula. Dressed in a beautiful orange and red kimono,
Ukyou looked stunning... too stunning. Akane forced a smile and
acknowledged Ukyou's arrival. The air suddenly took on the
unmistakable odor of kitty litter.
"Ohayo, Ukyou-san," Akane called tersely, the strain of her
greeting obvious.
Ukyou returned the greeting with a genuine lightheartedness. And
why not? Her business was doing well, Ranma stopped by regularly (if
only to eat), and this wedding was for the middle Tendo sister to an
American, not her beloved Ranchan to her rival, Akane. Not wanting to
allow Akane to direct the discussion, Ukyou quickly produced her gift
envelope and presented it to Akane.
"My sister and I thank you," Akane said pleasantly enough with a
small bow. <I'll bet you only brought the minimum acceptable gift, you
cheap...>
"I am honored with the invitation," Ukyou returned with an
equally deep bow. <What Ranchan sees in such an uncute tomboy such as
you...>
"Your presence is welcome." <Like a bout of stomach flu.>
"I eagerly look forward to this ceremony." <So I can take notes
for *my* wedding to Ranchan.>
"Your kimono is lovely." <Looks like something you used to wipe
the counter with.>
"How kind of you to notice." <You, however, look like something
coughed up by a cat.>
"Ranma will be here today." <You make the slightest move towards
him and I'll...>
"It will be nice to see him again." <Like he doesn't stop by my
shop every day.>
"Yes, well, my sister hopes that there be no... problems today as
the ceremony is in honor of our late mother." <So keep your stinking
paws to yourself.>
"Please assure your sister I am here to help her celebrate her
good fortune in finding a suitable husband." <Which is far better than
you'll ever get.>
The two girls smiled sweetly at each other for several seconds.
So sweetly that two nearby diabetics passed out from being too close.
Warily, the pair parted, each reluctant to take their eyes off
the other or otherwise drop their guard.
<Baka!>
<Baka!>
[MEOW!]

"How'd it go?" Nabiki asked without moving her lips. Kasumi had
just fixed her makeup for the last time and followed up with vague
suggestions as to the next step in makeup, paint, should Nabiki not
cooperate. For some reason, Nabiki got the impression her older
sister was in no mood to quibble.
Jeff straightened his kimono, nodded to some classmates in the
window, and replied that all the loose ends had been tied up and they
were free to have a quiet ceremony, in spite of the size of the crowd.
He also noticed Shampoo and Mousse returning. For some reason,
Shampoo looked... damp.
Jeff had little time to ponder the meaning of the moist girl from
China as Soun Tendo tearfully announced the Shinto priest was ready to
start.

To the sounds of the priest's prayers, Jeff and Nabiki took their
place in front of the family shrine; which had been specially moved to
the dojo for the ceremony. Both Jeff and Nabiki performed as they
were told, heads down, never speaking, following the priest's
instructions to the letter. This made the priest nervous. He knew
the Tendos well, having been the family priest for many years.
'Normal' had a totally different meaning to them than the rest of the
world. His eyes kept darting around as he prayed, looking for the
first 'Tendo-normal' thing to happen. He didn't have long to wait.
They had just gotten to the part where Nabiki is supposed to pick
up a cup of sake from the floor when the whispering started.
"Why Shampoo have to sit next to violent Tendo girl?"
"Shhhhhh!"
"Don't you shush Shampoo."
"Look, knock it off. This is a Shinto ceremony. We're supposed
to be quiet."
"Butt out, spatula girl!"
"Hey! Leave Ucchan alone!"
"Thank you, Ranma. But I can take care of myself."
"Will you please be quiet!"
"Brother, dear, please don't pull that thing out here. It's most
annoying."
"You heard the lady, bub. Put that thing back in your pants."
"Ooooh. Nice bokkan."
"I can't believe this is happening... again."
"Oh to defend the honor of my lovely..."
"Put a sock in it, Romeo!"
"Ranma, darling. Doesn't this ceremony give you ideas?"
"Yes son, doesn't this at least make you *think* about marriage?"
"Shut up, pop!"
"Please! I beg you. Be quiet!"
"Will you guys knock it off?"
"I'll knock it off..."

Jeff and Nabiki slowly turned to each other, their 'here we go
again' looks betraying their thoughts. The Shinto priest just prayed
louder.
"Well... They're *your* family." Jeff whispered out loud.
"At least *my* family doesn't come armed with guns," Nabiki
snapped back recalling the Hawaiian wedding.
"Look, do you mind?" the priest interrupted in a loud whisper.
"I'm trying to conduct a wedding here."
"Sorry," Jeff and Nabiki said together as they resumed their
previous proper positions.

Further discussion was interrupted by the doors of the dojo being
flung open. Everyone froze as a lone figure wandered in, dazed and
confused looking. Only Ranma groaned which caused a peculiar reaction
from the lone figure. Peculiar only to Jeff, that is.
"Ranma Saotome!" the figure yelled. "You can no longer run! Now
you DIE!"
"Excuse me." Jeff called trying to get the lone figure's
attention.
The priest prayed a little louder.
"Ryouga, you idiot. We're having a wedding here. Can't this
wait?" Ranma grimaced at having to intellectually deal with his old
school rival. It was much easier just punching him out.
"You'd wed the girl you've caused so much torment to?" Ryouga
screamed.
"Excuse me!"
The priest's prayers became louder still.
"I'm NOT marrying Akane! Nabiki's getting married!"
"Don't lie to me, Saotome!"
"EXCUSE ME!!!!!"
The dojo fell silent, except for the priest who was still praying
- loudly. All eyes were on Jeff Lawrence.
Nabiki reached out and nudged the priest who abruptly stopped
praying with a confused look.
"Duck now?" he asked with a worried voice.
"Not yet," Nabiki answered.
"Ranma? Do you mind?" Jeff asked while indicating the open dojo
door. Ranma looked confused at first. Akane's elbow in his ribs
explained everything.
"Huh? Oh, sure. No problem." he sheepishly consented before
bounding outside, Ryouga, Shampoo, Mousse, Ukyou, and the Kunos close
behind.
Nabiki grinned at the priest, who looked like the last survivor
of an earthquake, and suggested they pick it up at the sake sipping
part. Shaken from his shock but feeling slightly relieved that it'
finally happened, he reluctantly resumed the ceremony; sounds of a
battle royal outside causing him to speak a little faster.
The sake cup was filled. Skillfully, Nabiki demonstrated her
balance and pure heart by being able to pick the full cup from the
floor without falling over or spilling a drop. Facing the shrine, she
bowed as deeply as her kimono allowed to honor her family, pausing
several seconds to give silent thanks to her mother, and raised the
cup to her lips. As all good sake does, it burned as it slid down her
throat. With a little smile, she turned to hand the cup to Jeff. She
was almost enjoying the formality of it all. Almost. There was still
the little matter of the hot, uncomfortable, confining, irritating,
annoying, overweight, wedding kimono from hell.
Breaking tradition slightly, Jeff failed to take the cup
completely from Nabiki's hands but placed his fingers lightly over
hers and pulled the cup, still in her hands, to his lips. He drank
slowly, his eyes locked with hers. He wanted to symbolize his life
was as much hers as hers was his.
Nabiki wasn't beyond breaking a little tradition herself.
Instead of looking obediently at the floor, as custom dictated, she
looked her husband squarely in the eyes. Clearly, this was to be a
partnership. No person lording over another. Jeff knew it. Nabiki
knew it. The priest was just catching on as Jeff gently took the
empty cup from Nabiki and handed it to him.
<Well, they *are* Tendos.> the priest mused. <I suppose I should
have expected this.>
Few in the audience were paying attention to the wedding; as they
were watching intently the fight outside. The apprentice priests had
to practically shove full cups of sake into their hands so they could
all drink to the marriage of Jeff and Nabiki. Had this been a normal
day, Nabiki would have been cleaning up with the betting pool.
An embarrassing pause caused Nabiki to ask the priest what came
next.
"Beats me," he mumbled. "You guys have been making it up since
the troublemakers left."
"How about: You may now kiss the bride.'?" Jeff suggested.
"Ok. You may now kiss the bride." the priest said with a chuckle
and a resigned shrug of his shoulders.
Nabiki and Jeff melted into an embrace, his lips gently caressing
her brightly painted ones. Their cheeks slid together as the kiss
deepened, much of Nabiki's white makeup transferring onto Jeff's face.
As they broke their kiss, she noticed the makeup mess and started to
giggle. Jeff, figuring between the white face and ruby lips, he had
almost as much makeup on as his wife, began chuckling too.
The priest, with a small smile of his own and shake of his head,
turned to the shrine and shrugged his shoulders.
"Hey, they're your kids," he mumbled before taking what was left
of the sake and retiring for the hirooen.
Kasumi and her father shared crying towels as they were lost in
the emotion of the wedding. It wasn't exactly as she planned but it
was pure Tendo from start to finish. In any case, she was certain her
mother would have approved... or at least understood.
Genma skulked around behind the milling guests, gathering up
their sake cups and gleefully draining the contents before carefully
stacking the empties for return to the rental place. By the time he
had finished with the cups, he was one mellow martial artist.
Ranma returned from the fracas outside, only slightly worse for
wear. As to the other participants... all anyone found was a cat, a
duck, and a little black pig that Akane called 'P-chan', much to
Ranma's irritation. Ukyou and the Kunos had completely disappeared.
No one thought to ask where. Such things were simply the norm in
Nerima.

The hirooen went even better than the wedding. At least this
time, there were no battles. Kasumi outdid herself with the food and
entertainment, everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, and best of all,
at least for Nabiki, she was able to shed the annoying wedding kimono
and slip into something more comfortable.
Like the wedding, the hirooen was less than fully traditional.
There were the usual toasts and testimonials, mostly terse and fairly
neutral tales of Nabiki. Yuka and Sayori gave the most moving
testimonials, as they were the closest to friends Nabiki had in Japan.
None had more than blandly nice things to say about Jeff as no one
really knew much about him. But since the occasion required at least
a short bit of praise for the groom, a few were tapped to make the
short speeches. Soun blubbered through his part and Genma, became so
tongue tied, all he could do was mumble something reasonably
appropriate about the pair before sitting down and resuming his sake
consumption.
In the end, as darkness fell, Jeff and Nabiki made their rounds,
thanking each for coming. In spite of the couple's genuine gratitude,
few responded with more than distant politeness.
Soon after the wedding couple had disappeared to do their final
clothes change, Akane and Ranma took charge of handing out the wedding
couple's gifts to the guests. Here, Nabiki sprung her surprise.
Included in the usual gifts of rice cakes, match books, and
embroidered napkins was a special envelope; the contents of which even
Jeff didn't know. An envelope that was Nabiki's parting farewell to
her classmates.
The curious among them opened theirs in the light of the dojo.
The shock and surprise on their faces quickly dissolved into excited
conversations.
All was not lost on the watching Jeff Lawrence. Standing in the
darkened room where Nabiki was previously on display, Jeff casually
sipped a soft drink and watched the reactions of their guests.
"Have any of them opened their envelopes?" Nabiki asked as she
wandered into the room to stand by her husband.
"It would seem so," Jeff answered taking another sip of his
drink. "By the way, what exactly was in those envelopes."
Nabiki smiled to herself as she slipped her arm through her
husband's and snuggled close. She could see on the faces of her
former classmates their surprise and happiness. The guys seemed to be
debating something and the girls were showing each other the contents
of their envelopes and crying.
"Something very special," Nabiki said softly, almost like being
in a daze. "Something that was very important to me."
Jeff looked at his wife, a slight scowl of concern crossing his
face. He could read nothing in her expression but could feel her
happiness and contentment in the way she held his arm.
"What was in the envelopes, Nabs?" he asked softly. His voice
neither demanding nor overly curious. "Is that what you've been
working on every night for the last week?"
Nabiki smiled to herself and took a deep breath. "You remember
before we were married? The first time, I mean."
Jeff nodded with a faraway smile of his own. He was briefly
reliving the craziness and excitement they shared in the courtship.
"I told you I wanted to make my own fortune - my own way," she
rolled her head slightly to look at her husband.
Jeff remembered how determined she was to become financially
independent before she knew of his wealth and how equally determined
she was to prove she could be as successful as her husband after the
discovery. If anything, Nabiki was no golddigger. All she ever
wanted was an opportunity.
"Do you remember what you gave me as a wedding present?" she
smiled, her eyes shimmering in the faint light of the room.
Jeff quickly ran through the many things he had given his wife
before the wedding. He slowly turned his head to look at the milling
guests outside as the realization of what his wife had done hit home.
"Tiger Electronics." he said absently.
"Hai, Tiger Electronics." Nabiki closed her eyes and snuggled
contentedly into her husband's arm.
"Nabiki, that stock was worth... well, millions, anyway,"
"I know."
"And you just *gave* it away?"
"Jeffery, when I left that school, people thought I was a cold,
heartless, daughter-of-a-yakuza. I wasn't liked by anyone, much less
loved. Everyone believed I was only interested in myself... and what
I could get from them."
She rubbed her cheek against his arm as if to wipe away a bad
memory.
"When I met you... all I wanted was your money. I didn't care
about you personally; just like I didn't care about them."
Nabiki shifted to allow her arm to slip around her husband's
waist. Jeff reciprocated by enveloping her lithe body with his free
arm; hugging her to him. She responded by burying her face in his
chest, nuzzling for a comfortable position.
"But you were different. You cared about *me*, not what favor I
could do for you and how much it would cost, but about me personally.
*No one* had ever done that."
She paused to enjoy a particularly happy memory of their
courtship.
"What you gave me with that company was what you thought I always
really wanted; a chance to be a major player in a corporation. In a
way, you were right and I loved you for that. It became my most
precious material possession... next to this." She held up her left
hand so the diamond wedding ring glittered in the dim light.
She looked out at her former classmates once again, her face a
study of intense pleasure and happiness.
"What I gave them is a future; maybe a chance at a home of their
own or a secure retirement or something for their children or help
when they get sick." She looked wistfully at a couple of girls crying
over her gift. "Perhaps, even the chance for some girl to find a
husband of her own."
Jeff looked at the hugging girls outside the dojo and imagined
how liberating Nabiki's gift was to them. What she had given them was
exactly what she claimed it to be; a future. Those who chose to hang
on to the stock would most certainly be more comfortable in only a few
years. That was the reason he gave the stock to his wife in the first
place; its fast rising value.
"I also gave them my apologies... the notes I wrote..." She
paused staring at a trio of girls she recognized from her own class,
hugging and giggling out by the gate. "I'm not sure it's enough...
I'm not sure it'll *ever* be enough... everything I did to them..."
The girls continued to excitedly giggle, holding Nabiki's undivided
attention. She almost looked like she wanted to join the girls in
their celebration, to give up everything she had, just to be accepted
and treated as one of the group. Such, of course, was impossible.
Her marriage to Jeff saw to that.
"It was very generous, Nabiki. Very Japanese. Very... Tendo."
Jeff hugged his wife's young body to his. Contentedly, he canvassed
every reason he had for asking her to marry him in the first place.
In the beginning, she was a selfish, self-centered, and obsessed with
money little girl. In the last two months, she had grown into a
caring and purposeful woman; freely embracing her shinobi heritage and
acknowledging her fatuous past. He liked the change.
"You don't think they'll think I'm trying to *buy* their
friendship, do you?" she finally asked looking up. She asked as if it
were something that just occurred to her. Something that could
adversely affect how some saw her penance.
"Some may," Jeff said with a shrug of his shoulders. "Some will
never accept the new you, preferring to cling to their more familiar
fears. I wouldn't worry about it." He took another drink from his
glass before Nabiki gently stole it for her own refreshment. "You're
still Nabiki Tendo, financier, entrepreneur, and wife to some crazy
guy from America."
"And right now," she swallowed some of Jeff's soft drink. "That
crazy gaijin is all I have left."
"So now you're broke," Jeff declared looking down at his wife.
"Hai," she answered softly. "And that is the way it should be."
She slowly looked up again and smiled her crooked little smile as
their eyes locked. Jeff could see the tiny flames of resolve glowing
in her eyes; a fierce determination that was notably Nabiki.
"But that doesn't mean I intend to stay that way. With the
wedding money, after paying off all the expenses, I expect to have
several hundred thousand yen left over. That money will seed my own
financial empire." Her smile turned mischievous as her eyes narrowed.
"Some day, you'll come to *me* for loans."
Jeff had no doubts. Because all his money was tied up with
professional investors and multinational corporations, there was
little left for her to use in her own investment schemes. This
wedding cemented her relationship with her high school classmates,
honored her late mother, and provided her the financial springboard
she needed to building her own fortune. As their lips met, he could
feel the excitement surging through her body. This was her new
horizon, her next plateau to conquer; and he loved her more than ever
because of it.

Now, if he could just figure out how to tell her she was
pregnant.