[Ranma][FanFic] The Heart's Reasons - Part 3

M.A. MacKinnon

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

Previous parts of this and story can be found on my web page:
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Ginza/8225

A Ranma 1/2 Fanfic
All Ranma 1/2 characters copyright Rumiko Takahashi
and are used without permission

The Heart's Reasons
by Mark MacKinnon

Part three: One Step Over the Line

Shampoo's world was comprised largely of absolutes.
Take, for example, the rules of her tribe. An amazon must kill an
outsider female who defeated her. An amazon must marry a male who
defeated her. Simple. No room for interpretation.
And she believed in these absolutes. In fact, Shampoo was a girl
of passion. She was passionate about her beliefs, about her duty, and
most of all, about Ranma. In this way, her world was simple. Had been
simple, at any rate.
This, however, did not mean she was stupid. Quite the contrary.
She was quite smart, and perceptive. Her gut had twisted and churned
every time she'd thought of Ranma in the days after Kodachi's death
during the fight at Furinkan. She was aware that something had changed
between Ranma and Akane, and every day that passed without him coming by
the Nekohanten wound her tighter. She felt a sense of foreboding about
what was to come, but resolved to face it with the courage befitting an
amazon warrior.
After all, one of the absolutes that she believed in was the fact
that she and Ranma were meant to be together. One way or another.
He walked silently beside her as they strolled through the golden
afternoon sunshine, coming upon a nearby park. Ranma motioned for her
to sit on the first bench that they came to and, reluctantly, she did.
The time for talking was nearly at hand, and she felt a sudden twinge of
panic which she repressed brutally.
Brave. She had to be brave. She clasped her hands loosely and
cocked a shy glance at Ranma as he sat down beside her. Her
uncharacteristically reserved demeanor seemed to be unnerving Ranma a
bit. She waited for him to begin.
"So, how've you been?" he asked finally.
"Shampoo okay. Great-grandmother getting a little better, too."
He nodded.
"Yeah, it was good to see her walking around. I guess the past
little while's been hard on you, huh?" She looked at the ground, not
wanting him to see the pain in her eyes.
"Little bit," she admitted finally. "Easier if Ranma come by to
help Shampoo." She snuck a glance at him out of the corner of her eye,
seeing his expression turn sad at that.
"Look, I'm sorry I haven't been around much. There've been a lot
of things going on that I've had to take care of."
"Shampoo understands. It okay, Ranma. You come for Shampoo
finally. That what matters." His eyes flickered with something dark as
she turned to him.
"I came because I have to tell you something, and I wanted you to
hear it from me. Shampoo, I want you to promise me that you'll listen
to what I tell you. Will you do that? Listen and try to understand."
Shampoo nodded solemnly.
"Shampoo promise." This was it, she knew. But she was brave.
"Shampoo, I love Akane. I'm not going to marry you, or Ukyou. I'm
not your fiance anymore. You understand?" Shampoo shook her head
sadly.
"Is Ranma who no understand. Ranma beat Shampoo. Law say that
Shampoo must marry Ranma. Ranma always be Shampoo fiance. Is no
choice."
"Yes, dammit, there IS a choice, and I made it!" Ranma stopped,
took a deep breath. "Listen to me. This is not China, and I am not an
amazon man. I don't follow your laws. I'm in love Akane, and that's
that."
"Why that one?" Shampoo asked before she could stop herself. "Why?
Shampoo make much better wife!" Ranma's expression hardened slightly,
and Shampoo reminded herself that she had to stay in control.
"Shampoo, don't make this harder than it has to be, all right? I
don't want the kind of trouble we had before. No craziness, no
attacking Akane, no weird charms or drugs or spells. I just want you to
accept this." Shampoo slowly stood, turning to look down on Ranma. Her
face was composed, her stance relaxed.
"Shampoo love Ranma. Shampoo and Ranma fiances by ancient law.
Shampoo no can forget that, Ranma. Shampoo always be Ranma fiance.
Saying it not true not make it so. Shampoo can wait for Ranma,
though." He just stared at her wearily.
"Why don't you just accept it? Why?"
"Accept only for weak. Shampoo strong. Shampoo can be patient."
Can be, she knew, wasn't the same as have to be. If Ranma was
determined to follow this path, she'd just have to find a way to change
his mind. Once and for all.
"Dammit, Shampoo ...!"
"Ranma say what he come to say. Shampoo listen. Ranma say he in
love with Akane, yes? But he never date with Shampoo. How he know for
sure? Shampoo knows that Ranma make mistake now. Shampoo will forgive
Ranma, though. One day, Ranma will see truth." Ranma was looking at
her, clearly torn between sorrow and anger. She knew she had no hope of
changing his mind now. He was determined to stick by his decision.
What she had feared had finally come to pass.
Still, all was not lost. She had been thinking a great deal since
her great-grandmother's injury about what she would do if this came to
pass. It was a dangerous plan, an all-or-nothing gambit worthy of an
amazon warrior. But for now, she couldn't risk overplaying her hand.
It would be that much harder if Ranma was expecting trouble from her, so
she needed to let him think he had time.
"Shampoo, I don't want you to fool yourself," Ranma was saying
urgently. "I'm not gonna change my mind, and I don't want to have to
worry about you cooking up some stupid plan to get me to marry you!"
"Shampoo have no time for stupid plans now. Shampoo must take care
of great-grandmother." And that was true, as far as it went. However,
he didn't need to know that part of that care would be resolving the
situation between them, once and for all. She stood abruptly, not
daring to look at him now, feeling like her desperate plan might somehow
show in her eyes, warning him of what was to come.
"Shampoo ..."
"Shampoo go now. But Shampoo not going to forget that we engaged,
Ranma. One day, we be married. One day." There. Make him feel like
he has lots of time. Knowing Ranma, he'd want to let things just
quietly fade, trusting that Shampoo would eventually come to accept his
decision. She started to walk away.
"Shampoo." The way he said her name brought her up short. She
stood still, her hair slipping over her shoulder on a sudden gust of
fragrant wind.
"If anything were to happen to Akane, I'd be angry. Very angry.
We understand each other, right?" She swallowed. Maybe he hadn't been
as fooled as she'd thought. Still it didn't matter. After all, her
plan depended on him not wanting anything to happen to the Tendou girl.
"Shampoo understands," she said hoarsely. Then she walked away,
taking measured steps, clinging grimly to her resolve, resisting with
all her might the urge to turn and run back to him, to throw herself
into his arms and swear that nobody would ever take him away from her.
Never.
She kept walking only because she knew that it wasn't over yet.
She still had her plan, conceived in desperation, to give her hope. Her
plan, and the absolute certainty in her heart that Ranma would come to
love her if only he would give her a chance, even if he had to be
coerced or tricked into giving her that chance.
No, it wasn't over yet. But it soon would be.

Mousse looked up as he heard the door to the back alleyway open,
then close. He sighed and rose from where he'd been sitting
cross-legged on the floor of his cramped quarters. Unconsciously
straightening his robe, he went to see if Shampoo was all right.
He found her in the kitchen, bent over something in the sink. He
stood behind her, shifting nervously. The prospect of having Ranma out
of his way was an exciting one; however, the pain that Shampoo would
have to suffer at his rejection would tear at his own heart, as her pain
always did. Still, in time he was sure he could get her to see that it
was for the best. Without Ranma to come between them, their
relationship could finally progress.
"What you want, stupid Mousse?" She spoke without turning, the
cruel and capricious goddess of his dreams. He took a calming breath.
"Are you okay?" Her back was rigid, with anger or barely contained
grief he wasn't certain.
"You know why Ranma talk to Shampoo." It wasn't a question.
"Yes. He told Ukyou already. Last night." Shampoo turned
slightly, so she could look over her shoulder at him.
"Why you not go comfort spatula girl, then? Shampoo not need
you." He scowled.
"Dammit, Shampoo! Don't be like that! I want to help you get
through ..." He trailed off, looking at her carefully. Mousse knew
Shampoo better than anyone, except maybe her great-grandmother. He'd
studied her every slightest shift of mood, lived for the slightest spark
of kindness in her beautiful eyes, knew every storm warning that lived
in a toss of her purple mane or the angle of her head. He knew what he
was looking at now.
"He rejected you, but ... Shampoo. What are you up to?" He noted
a flash of surprise, and what might have been panic, cross her face in
an instant. Then her violet eyes began to mist up with tears.
"I ..." she began, her voice choked with emotion. She turned back
toward the sink, head hanging disconsolately. Careful, Mousse thought
frantically. Something's up. Something ...
"Oh, Mousse ..." she moaned. That did it. He rushed forward,
needing to comfort her, needing to make the pain in her voice vanish.
She spun with almost inhuman speed, pulling the bucket up out of
the sink with one hand and drenching him before he had a chance to
react. Then he was struggling in the confining folds of his robe, only
to be seized by the neck and hoisted into the air.
The tears were gone now, and Mousse suppressed a shudder at the
expression on Shampoo's face.
"Accept," she breathed. "Accept is for weak, Mousse. Always
remember. Shampoo strong. Strong for herself, for tribe. Strong now
for great-grandmother. No can let you get in way of plan. This
Shampoo's last hope." She began walking toward where Mousse knew the
cage was.
"Shampoo have pride. No can just give up, stupid Mousse. Shampoo
make everything right. You see, soon." Mousse didn't like the sound of
that. He began to squawk angrily, flailing about with his wings, all to
no avail.
Whatever Shampoo was up to, she didn't intend to allow him to
interfere.

Akane was waiting for Ranma behind the dojo. She'd been waiting
nervously, remembering how Ranma's discussion with Ukyou had affected
him. By the time he finally showed up, she was nearly ready to go
looking for him.
She couldn't tell anything from the expression on his face. He
walked over to her, a slight crease evident between his eyebrows, and
gave her a faint smile that did nothing to set her mind at ease.
"Well?" she asked anxiously. "How did it go?" He sighed.
"Um. How did it go. Well. It was, uh, very calm. And
reasonable."
"Calm? Reasonable?" Akane repeated. "We are talking about your
conversation with Shampoo, right?"
"Yeah. It was really strange. I expected fireworks, but instead
...." He shrugged. Akane ventured a cautious smile.
"So everything's settled?" Ranma winced, and her smile died.
"Well, she did sort of say that we'd always be engaged and that
she'd wait for me ..."
"RANMA!"
"Hey!" he shot back defensively. "This isn't my fault, Akane! I
told her flat out that I love you, not her! What else can I do?"
Akane's anger was tempered by hearing Ranma say he loved her, and she
fought back a snappish reply.
"So we have to worry about Shampoo trying to break us up now?" she
asked finally. Ranma leaned wearily against the wall of the dojo and
ran his fingers through his hair. Akane had a sudden, powerful urge to
run her own fingers through his hair, and suppressed it. Bad timing.
"Well, she said that she had to take care of Cologne now. I
definitely got the impression that she had her hands full in the near
future, and she was depending on me to come to my senses. So to
speak." Akane moved over close to him, copying his posture.
"Ranma, that doesn't sound like Shampoo," she sighed.
"I know. But she wasn't acting like Shampoo, either. She was
quiet, depressed even. This thing with Cologne is really getting to
her, I think."
"Speaking of Cologne, how is she?" Ranma grimaced.
"You know, I never really liked the old ghoul, but seeing her
tonight, I couldn't help feeling a little sorry for her. Hell, more
than a little. If it wasn't for her, I don't think there's any way we
would've won that fight at Furinkan. She can barely walk now, and her
eyes ..." They fell silent for a time, listening to the sounds of the
city filtering into the yard from all around.
"I don't want to sound cruel, but maybe this will all work out
after all," Akane said at last. "I mean, with Cologne hurt so badly,
and you telling her that she has no chance, maybe Shampoo will finally
"Maybe. If it was only one or the other of those things, I'd be
more worried. But both together, yeah, maybe you're right. I don't see
how they can run the Nekohanten with only Shampoo and Mousse, anyway.
If the old ghoul could still get up to her old tricks, I'd be more
concerned, but as it is, I think Shampoo'll just start getting used to
things the way they are now." Akane said nothing. She hoped Ranma was
right, but just in case he wasn't, she resolved to keep a close eye on
him for the next couple of weeks. In the meantime, though ...
She reached her hand out, brushing it lightly against the back of
Ranma's own where it lay tapping lightly against the wall. Slowly she
slipped her fingers around the calloused edge of his palm until she
could lace them through his own. Her heart began to race as he idly ran
his thumb over the web of flesh between her own thumb and palm. She
looked over to see him blushing slightly, and smiled.
"Ranma."
"Hmm?"
"I know the last couple of days haven't been easy for you, having
to talk to Ukyou and Shampoo about us, and I just wanted to tell you
that ... I'm, well, really proud of you." Ranma's eyes met hers,
surprise evident there.
"Proud?"
"Yes, Ranma. I know how hard this has been for you. It probably
seems unfair to you that you have to do all this, and I don't have to do
anything, since Ryouga decided to give up on me on his own." Ranma
looked a little rueful at that.
"I don't think that at all," he said, not entirely convincingly.
She cocked her head.
"Well, I do. I know how hard it is for you to talk about things
like this at the best of times." Ranma's blush deepened.
"Well," he said, suddenly finding something extremely interesting
in the late afternoon sky, "I did it for, you know, us. Kinda." Akane
felt a warm tingling at that. For them. Now *that* was progress.
"For us, huh?" she murmured, moving away from the wall. "You know,
after everything you've been through, I think you deserve a reward."
Still holding his hand, she moved around in front of him, her heart
pounding with anticipation, and not a little nervousness. His gaze
shifted back to her face.
"Reward?" he asked blankly. She smiled, a sweet, dazzling smile,
just for him, and leaned her body against his gently.
"Mmm-hmm," she confirmed, nodding slightly without breaking eye
contact. His face showed that his emotions were running parallel to
hers: nervousness, awkwardness and increasing anticipation. They were
all alone behind the dojo, after all. Who knew when they'd have another
minute to themselves?
"Oh, a REWARD," he breathed. She placed her free hand just above
his waist and ran it slowly up his chest, fingertips lightly tracing his
muscles as she moved up to his shoulder. He lowered his head slightly
as she rose up on her tiptoes to meet him.
"Ah, so HERE you are," a voice said. In an instant Akane found
herself standing a good two body-lengths away from Ranma without seeming
to have occupied any of the intervening space.
"A neat trick," she thought dazedly. "I'll have to remember how I
did that."
"Oops. Nabiki Interruptus. Sorry, troops. Feel free to carry
on." Akane's heart, racing for reasons that had nothing to do with
Ranma, finally began to slow. Ranma was plastered back against the dojo
wall, trying to look nonchalant and failing rather miserably.
"Nabiki!" he said too loudly. "We were just, uh, doing that thing
that, uh ... and Akane had something in her eye and I
wasjusttryingtogetitout!" He finished with a triumphant flourish, not
noticing Akane's disgust with his lame excuse.
"Hmm. Martial arts optometry. Nice try, Ranma. You two lovebirds
don't have to stop on my account, you know."
"Nabiki," Akane said, trying not to sound irritated, "what do you
want?"
"Lovebirds? No!" Ranma shouted with insane casualness.
"Supper's ready," Nabiki said.
"We were just ... hey, Akane, help me out here!"
"Ranma, cut it out. She knows." Ranma's face performed an
interesting contortion.
"She knows? About us?" Akane nodded. Ranma paled.
"But. But. Why? Why tell her?"
"Ranma, she's my sister."
"But she's NABIKI. She'll sell the info to our parents, and ...
and ..." Akane crossed her arms.
"And what?" she asked neutrally. Nabiki snorted.
"Relax, Saotome. Your secret's safe. I wouldn't sell out my own
sister. Anyway, it promises to be much more entertaining watching you
two sneak around here trying to keep our fathers from getting wind of
this. I mean, one whisper of this and you two'll be married before you
know it." Akane watched Ranma carefully for his reaction.
"Oh. Yeah. M-married, and, uh ..." Ranma began looking around
frantically. "Hey, supper's gonna get cold! Come on guys, let's go!"
With that, Ranma was off and running, not quite leaving a sonic boom in
his wake. Akane's jaw clenched painfully, but she said nothing.
"Wow, it never fails," Nabiki said casually. "The "M" word sends
any and all males into a frenzy." Then she caught the expression on her
younger sister's face and frowned.
"Hey, Akane, I was just kidding. I mean, you two are engaged,
after all." Akane began to walk, not saying anything. She heard Nabiki
trotting up behind her after a moment.
"Wait a sec. You two HAVE talked about getting married, haven't
you?" Akane felt her cheeks warming slightly.
"Not in so many words, no," she mumbled. Nabiki sighed in
exasperation.
"You two are just incredible. Look, sis, didn't you say that Ranma
told you he loved you?"
"Well, yeah ..."
"And didn't you say he was going to settle things with Ukyou and
Shampoo, so you'd be the only fiance?"
"He did talk to them," Akane admitted. Nabiki nodded.
"So why fly off the handle? Ranma's actions show pretty clearly
what he thinks, right? Don't get upset if the mention of marriage makes
him a little crazy. He's still a guy, and Ranma's never been very good
with this sort of thing. When you get around to talking about it, do
you really think Ranma's going to be at all reluctant to marry you?
Well, do you?" Did she? Akane remembered the things Ranma had done
since that night on the roof, the lengths to which he had gone for her.
Revealing his feelings, showing his own vulnerabilities, even agreeing
to train with her, all showed that "I love you" weren't just empty
words. And she believed that he wanted to be with her, but long
ingrained habit led her to assume the worst.
After all, they hadn't actually talked about marriage. She thought
he wanted to marry her, but she found suddenly that she wanted to be
*sure*. The old doubts persisted, and she hated herself for having
them. But she couldn't seem to shake them, not for good.
She wondered when, or if, she ever would.
"I really am sorry for interrupting," Nabiki said quietly, all
traces of amusement gone from her voice now. "I guess it's kind of hard
for you two to get any time alone, huh?" Akane blushed lightly.
"Well, yeah," she sighed. Nabiki gave her a look she couldn't
interpret.
"Have you thought of just telling our parents that you two want to
be together? It might make your lives easier, you know."
"No. I'm tired of being under a microscope, having people watch
and judge and pressure and interfere all the time, and I know Ranma is
too. We need some time alone, but they wouldn't understand. They'd
just push us to get married right away, and I'm afraid what that kind of
pressure might do to us, the way things are now." Nabiki sighed
thoughtfully.
"Time alone, huh? You know, it's not all that long to summer
break. If you can last that long, you two could go on a trip together
somewhere. A training jaunt, maybe." Nabiki was peering at her out of
the corner of one eye as she spoke, and Akane brightened.
"Hey! That's not a bad idea!"
"Yeah, and I won't even charge you for it," Nabiki said
magnanimously. "This time. Anyway, it'll give you two something to
look forward to." Akane impulsively hugged her sister.
"Thanks, Nabiki!" Nabiki squirmed.
"Hey! No hugging! No HUGGING! Geez, what if someone sees?
C'mon, Akane!" Laughing, Akane released her grip.
"Aw, you're just a big old softy," she teased. Nabiki looked
grumpy.
"Don't let that get around, sis. I've got a reputation to uphold,
you know?"
"If you say so," Akane grinned, feeling the first stirrings of
anticipation at the prospect of taking a trip with Ranma. Yes. That
could work. That *would* work! Some time alone, entire days to talk,
just the two of them, not having to worry about who was about to pounce
on them ...
"Come on, sis. If we don't get there soon, your FIANCE and his
father will have sucked up everything edible in sight!" Laughing, the
two ran the rest of the way to the house.

The new day had dawned clear and warm, with only a hint of a
breeze. It promised to be a perfect day, a day for picnics, or long
walks along a riverbank. A day for lovers.
The irony was not lost on Shampoo. She moved around the kitchen of
the Nekohanten, touching things as if for the last time. She was
finishing the preparations for her plan. By the end of this perfect
day, she would be married to Ranma. Or she would have lost him forever.
Mousse continued to rattle around in his cage, although he'd long
since given up squawking. She'd tied his wings to his body, just to be
sure. After all, this would be her last chance. She didn't want any
interference.
She started as she heard a small sound behind her, then turned,
trying to hide her sorrow. Once, not long ago, she never would have
heard her great-grandmother coming up behind her. But those days were
over now. Everything had changed.
"Great-grandmother, why you up so early? You need rest," Shampoo
said, trying to keep her voice free of the emotions that churned within
her. Cologne, of course, wasn't fooled.
"I can rest when I'm dead, Shampoo," Cologne replied grumpily.
Shampoo gasped in spite of herself.
"Great-grandmother!"
"Oh, don't carry on so, Shampoo. I'm an old woman, and some day I
*will* die. You understand?" Shampoo nodded timidly, then realized
that Cologne couldn't see her gestures, and a sudden unreasoning anger
rose in her. She suppressed it as best she could, a little frightened
by its appearance.
If her plan was to succeed, she needed to be in total control. So
she simply muttered, "Shampoo understand." She saw her
great-grandmother scowl.
"I don't think you do! This plan of yours is bold, but it's an
all-or-nothing proposition. If you were just patient, you could wait
until I was stronger and could help you!" Shampoo's eyes began to sting
with the onset of tears, and she was glad for one moment that her
great-grandmother *couldn't* see her. She fought back the wave of grief
fiercely. There was no guarantee that Cologne ever would get stronger,
a fact that both of them were more than aware of. The fight had damaged
something vital in her. She would never be what she was. She might
never again be anything more than she was at this moment.
And as for waiting, that wasn't an option. Time was their enemy
now. They both understood that.
"Shampoo no can wait," she said hoarsely, when she could finally
speak. "The longer Shampoo wait now, the less chance of success."
"Shampoo!" Cologne took a deep breath, then switched to their
native tongue. "<Little one, I understand that things have changed. I
understand that to wait may mean losing any chance to pry Ranma away
from the Tendou girl. But I must know that you are doing this for the
proper reasons. To honour our ancient laws, to strengthen the amazons,
to fulfill your obligations as a warrior of our tribe. Not for me. Not
for some old woman whose time has nearly run out.>"
"<Great-grandmother, no!>"
"<Don't turn away from the truth, Shampoo! That is weakness! Do
you seek to end this now because of me?>" Shampoo took a deep, calming
breath.
"<No, Great-grandmother,>" she lied. Cologne's sightless eyes held
hers, as if she could now see into the soul, and for a moment Shampoo
was afraid that her lie would be detected, that her great-grandmother
would try to stop her from carrying out her plan. But at last Cologne's
shoulders slumped wearily, and she nodded.
"<Very well, little one. You have my blessing. Remember
everything I told you about the timing of the drug. Where will you do
it?>"
"<At the Tendou house, after school. I hope that it will force
Ranma's hand, being in front of the family.>" Cologne nodded.
"<Be careful, Shampoo. The tribe cannot afford to lose a warrior
of your potential.>" Shampoo smiled sadly. That was as close as her
great-grandmother would come to sentiment. Shampoo knelt carefully in
front of the old woman, noting how carefully she held herself, how her
knuckles were white where they gripped her staff. She thought again of
the incredibly vital woman who had trained her, had taught her almost
everything she knew about being a fighter, an amazon, and a woman. Once
upon a time, she'd thought her great grandmother would be with her
forever. Now she knew better.
Nothing is forever. And everybody dies. Everybody.
She reached out carefully, her palms resting on Cologne's dry
cheeks, and brushed her lips lightly against the old woman's forehead.
"<I will honour your teachings, Great-grandmother,>" she whispered.
"<I will make you proud of me.>" Cologne seemed to have trouble
speaking.
"<I've always been proud of you, foolish girl. Never forget that.
Now go! There is much to do.>" Shampoo nodded, forgetting again that
Cologne couldn't see, and rose, walking over to the door quickly. She
stooped to pick up her maces and a sack that shifted oddly when she
lifted it. Then she walked out the door, afraid to look back. The door
closed firmly behind her, and she leaned against it, drawing a shaky
breath.
"You always protect Shampoo, Great-grandmother," she whispered in
the early morning stillness. "Now Shampoo protect you. One last time."
With a heavy heart, she set off to engineer her final chance to win
Ranma's heart.

Mousse watched Shampoo leave, dread settling in his gut. He'd been
privy to the plan she'd worked out with some help from Cologne, and he
knew the stakes were high. As were the risks.
He couldn't let Shampoo do it. He had to stop her. HAD to. He
twisted around, trying to reach the ropes with his sharp bill, clumsily
banging against the bars of his cage in the process.
"Mousse!" He heard the barely leashed anger in Cologne's voice,
turning to see her looking directly at him. Well, not looking, but
facing him. She knew where everything in the Nekohanten was, and could
manoeuvre through the restaurant as well as a sighted person.
"None of this would be necessary," she hissed at him venomously,
"if you were a real man." He shrank back against the bars of the cage,
momentarily frozen by her words.
For all the contempt that Cologne had ever shown him, he knew in
his heart that this time she was right. And he was running out of time
to change things.
He began working at the ropes with a renewed frenzy.

Akane placed her gym clothes neatly in her locker. One more class,
then home. With Ranma. She felt a sudden tingle of warmth flowering in
her chest, and suppressed a smile. Ranma had promised to train with her
again that evening. That was progress, and maybe, if she was lucky, she
could coax another neck rub out of him after their session.
She didn't think it would be all that difficult.
She closed her locker door, and felt her dreamy smile freeze and
begin to congeal.
Shampoo was standing there. Akane felt her good mood draining
away, and she resisted the urge to take a step back.
"Shampoo! What are you doing here?" Even as she asked, she
figured she knew what the answer was. Ranma.
"Shampoo want to talk to you," the other girl replied quietly.
Akane frowned. There was no trace of the usual arrogance or contempt
that Shampoo made no attempt to hide when dealing with her. She seemed
reserved, almost timid. Akane thought of how Ranma had said she was
during his talk with her. Not at all her usual self, he'd said. Just
like now.
"I've got to get to class ..." Akane began.
"It only take a minute." When Akane continued to hesitate, Shampoo
bit her lip. "Please."
That "please" did it. Akane couldn't recall Shampoo ever being
polite to her before. She nodded and followed the lovely amazon down
the hallway and outside. She wondered if she should have tried to find
Ranma first.
No. She kept trying to get him to believe that she could handle
herself, after all. How would it look if she went running to him every
time there *might* be trouble?
If Shampoo wanted to fight over Ranma, then Akane would oblige her.
They stepped out of sight around one corner of the school, and
Akane tensed as she saw Shampoo's bonbori sitting on the ground next to
a brown sack. Shampoo made no move to pick them up, however, turning to
face Akane. She swept a lock of long purple hair away from her face and
took a deep breath.
"Shampoo have to marry Ranma," she said flatly. "Is law. Shampoo
no can break law. Shampoo ask Akane to step aside." Akane stared at
her in disbelief.
"Just like that? You expect me to just give up on Ranma because of
your stupid law?" She didn't know what she'd expected, but it certainly
hadn't been this. Shampoo's lips thinned into an angry line.
"Is not stupid!" she shot back. Then she took another breath.
"And no, Shampoo not expect you to give up. But Shampoo must make
offer. Shampoo fight beside you, beside Ranma and all the others.
Shampoo not want to fight against you."
"Then don't. Because Ranma loves me, and I love him. And I'll
fight for him, if that's what it takes. Never doubt that." Shampoo
winced as if Akane's words had caused her physical pain.
"Why you no can understand? Shampoo must obey law! She must ..."
She trailed off sadly. Akane stood firm, even while feeling sorry for
the other girl. She'd never seen this kind of emotion form Shampoo
before, but she still wasn't going to give up on Ranma. Shampoo must
see that. Then Shampoo's gaze shifted over Akane's shoulder, and her
eyes widened.
"Ranma," she breathed. Akane turned.
There was no one behind her.
She barely had time to realize she'd been suckered before she
sensed Shampoo moving, felt fingertips striking several spots on her
neck and skull in rapid succession.
Stupid, she told herself as blackness closed in around the edges of
her vision. Stupid, stupid, STUPID!

Ranma fidgeted, eyeing the clock. Only a few more minutes. He
shot another surreptitious glance at Akane's empty seat. Why hadn't she
shown up for class? He was beginning to get worried.
You idiot, he told himself. It's probably nothing. Nothing at
all. No big deal.
But it wasn't like Akane to cut a class, and tiny worms of dread
were burrowing into his gut. Something was wrong, he felt it. He might
have tried to leave if his teacher hadn't been Miss Hinako. She'd been
on a bit of a short fuse lately, and he figured he wouldn't get three
steps toward the door before she started draining him. So he sat, and
fidgeted, and waited for the interminable class to end.
And hoped he was worrying for nothing.
"I'm not boring you, am I, Mr. Saotome?" He jerked guiltily,
realizing that Miss Hinako was standing right next to his desk.
"Um, no. Ma'am. I was just, uh ..." She glared at him, and while
she was currently in her child-like form, he knew better than anyone
that she was still capable of causing him trouble.
"Do you want detention, Mr. Saotome? Because that could easily be
arranged."
"No ma'am!" That was *all* he needed. He intended to go find
Akane as soon as the class was over. Miss Hinako continued to glare at
him for a few moments.
"You haven't gotten detention all week," she said at last. Ranma
blinked. She almost sounded *disappointed*. Then she shifted her gaze
to Akane's abandoned desk. "When you see Miss Tendou, however, you may
inform her that she DOES have a detention." Ranma nodded, and then the
bell went. Relief flooded him as he grabbed his bag and bolted for the
door.
"No running in the classroom!" Miss Hinako shouted above the din.
He sighed inwardly. She was getting more strict every day. But he had
bigger worries than that at the moment.
He rushed down to Akane's locker, asking a few people along the way
if they'd seen her. Nobody had, not since gym class. He hurried along,
trying to tell himself that there were dozens of perfectly reasonable
explanations why she might not have shown up for class.
Unfortunately, he couldn't think of one.
Fighting his way through throngs of students anxious to get out of
school, he finally made it to Akane's locker.
There was an envelope taped to the door. His name was on it. It
wasn't Akane's handwriting.
Trouble.

Nabiki frowned. She'd been looking for Kunou, intending to brace
him on the information she'd discovered about his past, but had run into
something more pressing.
"Ranma?" He was standing in front of her sister's locker, reading
something. His face was white, and his hand trembled as he crumpled the
single sheet of paper in his fist.
"No," he said. The tendons in his neck stood out like steel
cables, and Nabiki felt the first faint stirrings of panic.
"Ranma, what is it?" she asked, moving closer. Abruptly, he threw
the crumpled paper to the floor and bolted, moving with a speed she'd
only seen him use in combat. She blinked, and turned to see him weaving
through the afternoon crowd effortlessly.
He hadn't even acknowledged her presence.
She stifled the panic that was trying to rise up in her, knowing
that it wouldn't help. Instead, she crouched down and retrieved the
paper that Ranma had discarded. She saw a torn envelope lying nearby
with his name on it. Gently, she smoothed out the cheap notepaper,
noting the labouriously careful writing. The message was short and to
the point.

By Amazon law, I must either kill you or marry you. I can not
kill you. I can kill Akane. I am waiting at the Tendou house for
your answer. Come quickly. She does not have much time.

It wasn't signed. It didn't have to be. Amazon law. Oddly,
Nabiki's first thought was that Shampoo wrote better than she spoke.
Unless she'd had someone else write the letter ...
Nabiki threw off her shock with an effort. Would Shampoo really
kill Akane? She began sifting facts, even as she stood and started
toward home. Things had changed, she knew, and Akane had told her that
Ranma had decided to break things off with his other fiances once and
for all. Could that have driven Shampoo to do something this desperate?
Then Nabiki ruthlessly shut away all doubts and questions. She was
going to operate on the assumption that the letter was serious. Ranma
certainly had, she knew, remembering his expression, and he knew more
than she did about this situation. Her mind switched into high gear,
weighing and discarding possibilities and options with a speed that she
took for granted, considering everything she knew about her opponent,
seeking every advantage for the coming confrontation.
By the time she left the building, she was running almost as fast
as Ranma had been.

Finally. The weakened ropes fell free, and Mousse could move his
wings. He brought a slim metal pick out of the feathers of one wing,
clasping it gently in his bill. He'd practised this manoeuvre for just
such an emergency. Squeezing his head through the bars, he slipped the
pick into the cage's simple lock, jiggling it just the way he'd
practiced until the tumblers gave way with a loud click. He brought his
head back in and eased the door open with his body.
"Mousse? What are you up to?" He cursed his luck. The old woman
had been resting, as she did so often these days. Even blind, though,
she saw too much. She eased into the kitchen, somehow aware that he'd
gotten loose. He knew he couldn't chance a fight with her. Even in her
current condition, one hit on a vulnerable point and he'd be helpless.
He wouldn't be able to get any hot water before he left, but that
couldn't be helped. It was afternoon already. He might already be too
late.
He launched himself at the window, open to let in the warm spring
breezes. Cologne came at the sound of his flapping wings, faster than
he would have thought possible, but nowhere near as fast as she had once
been. Still, she was almost fast enough.
Almost. But Mousse cleared the counter, her staff striking it
behind him with a sharp crack, and he sailed through the window,
fighting for altitude.
"MOUSSE!" He shuddered at the raw, unbridled rage in Cologne's
scream as he soared up and away from the Nekohanten. Whatever happened
today, he had a feeling it wouldn't be wise for him to go back there in
the near future.
Or perhaps ever.
Banking sharply, he soared toward the Tendou house, praying that he
would be in time.

Bench. Wall. Hedge.
Ranma ran all-out, automatically dodging or jumping over anything
and anyone unfortunate enough to get in his way.
Sign. Lamp post. Shopkeeper.
She wouldn't, he kept telling himself. She CAN'T. But a little
voice inside him disagreed vehemently.
Of course she can, the voice told him, and he recognized it as his
own. What does she have to lose? You already told her she'd never have
you. This is Shampoo we're talking about, you idiot! How could you be
so stupid as to believe her when she said she'd wait for you? Ukyou
might just cry and hate you, but Shampoo's *dangerous*!
Mrs. Shinahara. Car. Another car. Take to the rooftops now.
Faster. Fewer obstacles.
But why? he asked himself, panic trying to force its way through
the protective numbness around his heart.
Doesn't matter why, he answered himself. What matters is that she
just might do it. And you should have known that she might do something
like this, you should have been more careful.
He bounded across the roofs of several houses. At the apex of his
last jump, he could see the roof of the dojo. Soon.
If she does anything to Akane ...
Agreed.
And then his little internal dialogue stopped dead. He felt an icy
calm descend over his thoughts as he arrowed toward the wall surrounding
the Tendou place. He knew the calm only masked his emotions, and thinly
at that, but he needed it. He knew he needed to stay cool. He could
talk to Shampoo. She'd listen to reason. He'd always been able to head
off trouble before. Sure.
Landing in the garden, he saw that the sliding door that lead into
the house had been demolished. He didn't bother with stealth. Shampoo
was expecting him, after all. He bounded up onto the veranda and
stalked into the house.
And stopped.
The place looked like it had been hit by a hurricane. The shogi
board was broken in half, the game pieces scattered everywhere. He
could see half of a panda protruding through one of the inside walls.
Kasumi was crouched nearby, carefully cradling her father's head. His
hands appeared to be tied behind his back, and there was a large bruise
on his forehead. He looked groggy, unfocussed. Kasumi, on the other
hand, looked very focussed. And very frightened.
"Ranma!" she cried as he entered. He swept the room, finding what
he was looking for immediately. Shampoo was standing at the far side of
the room, Akane sitting on the floor not far away. He started toward
them.
"WAIT!" He stopped, surprised. Kasumi had been the one to shout.
He looked back at her, noting automatically that she seemed unhurt.
"Ranma," she continued, her voice shaking a little, "Shampoo made
Akane swallow something. A pill." He turned back, feeling the tension
winding tighter in his chest. His fragile calm threatened to explode
under the stress, and he reminded himself that he needed to stay in
control. For her sake.
"Akane? You okay?" he asked softly. Her legs were splayed out
untidily, folded back on themselves, and he noticed that her hands were
trembling where they were braced against the floor. He realized
suddenly that she was trying to stand.
"I can't ... I can't feel my legs," she whispered, her eyes dark
pools in her pale face. Ranma knew that his battle aura was now visible
as he turned to face Shampoo. She stood easily, a large brown cloth
sack in one hand, her beautiful features set in an expressionless mask.
"Is poison," Shampoo said simply. "She lose all feeling soon, then
she die. Is very rare poison, only Shampoo have antidote." Ranma took
a step forward without realizing it, his aura intensifying.
"Give me the antidote, Shampoo," he said, his voice low and
dangerous. "Now." She reached into the sack quickly, pulling her hand
out as Ranma started to move toward her. Startled, he stumbled back.
It was a cat, a large tabby. Shampoo held it firmly by the scruff
of the neck so it couldn't get its claws into her. She held it out
toward Ranma, and it made a low growling noise deep in its throat, the
kind of sound cats only make when they're extremely pissed off. Ranma's
eyes locked onto the cat's, and icy sweat broke out all over his body.
For a split-second, just a second, he was certain he could smell
fish sausage.
Then the phantom scent vanished, but his terror remained.
Shampoo knew his weakness, and had used it against him. He
wondered why that should make him feel so betrayed.
"Shampoo, don't do this!" he gritted. She held the cat out like a
talisman, preventing him from getting any closer, while she scooped one
of her bonbori from the floor with her free hand.
"Swear you marry Shampoo. Ranma swear on his honour, then Shampoo
give Akane antidote." A flicker of emotion graced Shampoo's face, gone
before he could decide what it had been. He tried to swallow past the
lump in his throat, shooting a quick look at Akane. Her arms were
trembling badly now, and she seemed to be having some trouble breathing.
He shifted his gaze back to Shampoo and the cat.
She had him. Even if he tried to rush her, he couldn't save Akane.
That cat would send him over, into the Nekoken, and then he wouldn't be
able to think, to try for the antidote. He'd only be able to fight, and
even if he beat Shampoo, it might be too late. His body quivered with
tension, caught between his need to act and the certain knowledge that
doing so would doom Akane. The presence of that damned wailing cat was
making it hard to think, too.
"What are you waiting for, boy?" He started, looking over his
shoulder to see an angry Soun Tendou trying vainly to sit up. "My
daughter is in danger! Do something!" Kasumi was trying to calm him,
but when she chanced to look up and meet Ranma's stare, the message he
saw in her eyes was clear.
Don't let Akane die. Please.
He turned back to Shampoo, a snarl pulling at his mouth. Shampoo
held the spitting cat out a little further, causing him to flinch
reflexively.
"She not have much time, Ranma," Shampoo said, her voice low and
even. "You not want to see her die, then swear. Swear you marry
Shampoo." She had him, he knew. He couldn't let anything happen to
Akane. He had to save her. Maybe later, after she was safe, he could
find a way to change things back, to get Shampoo to release him from his
vow. Unlikely, perhaps, but better than letting Akane die.
He still remembered Ranko's face when he'd talked of watching his
Akane slip away. Ranma wasn't going to let that happen. No matter
what. Even if he had to let her go to save her. He opened his mouth to
speak.
"No." His eyes widened in shock. For one heart-stopping moment,
he thought he'd spoken the word. Then realization penetrated the shock.
Akane.
Everyone was staring at her now. She was cradling her arms against
her chest, hands clenched tightly under her breasts, staring at a spot a
few inches in front of her knees. The trembling seemed to have reached
her shoulders, and Ranma felt a need, almost physical in its intensity,
to go to her and hold her and tell her everything would be all right.
Even though that didn't seem possible.
"What?" Shampoo asked, clearly astonished. With visible effort,
Akane pulled her head up, her eyes seeking not Shampoo, but Ranma.
"I said no," she repeated, her voice tight but calm. "You won't
use me to hurt Ranma this way. Once you gave me the antidote, I'd hunt
you duh-down, no matter where ... you went. I wouldn't luh-luh-let ..."
She swallowed, obviously having trouble speaking.
"Akane!" her father wailed. "Stop this foolishness!"
"Ranma. Don't let her ... do this. Pruh-PROMISE me ..." Ranma
felt icy sweat snaking its way down the curve of his spine. The cat's
yowls were like a drill bit hammering into his skull, and he could feel
all the eyes in the room switching to him now.
"Akane," he pleaded softly. She shook her head, the movement
barely perceptible.
"Promise me." A whisper now, and Ranma's heart was breaking. Make
a promise to the girl he loved, the girl he'd finally given his heart
to, or save her life. He shouldn't have to make this decision. It
wasn't fair.
But Akane's eyes were telling him a different story. I won't lose
you, they said. I'll keep following her, until she has to kill me
anyway. It would be worse to know she used me to trap you than it would
be to risk death. We just found each other, we've been through so much.
I won't let it end this way.
"STUPID!" Shampoo shrieked, making everyone in the room jump. "WHY
YOU SO STUPID?" Ranma turned to her, summoning his battle aura once
more, letting the rush of his chi fill him. Shampoo's eyes implored him
now, as the cat began to thrash in panic.
"She not have to die! You just marry Shampoo, that all! Why that
so terrible? SHAMPOO LOVE YOU, WHY THAT SO TERRIBLE?" Ranma tried to
ignore her anguish, aware that Akane could no longer hold her head up,
seeing her slumped form out of the corner of his eye.
Save Akane or honour her wishes and lose her. He had to decide.
Now.
That's when all hell broke loose.
"GO, BOY! GO!" A series of staccato images shot across Ranma's
awareness. Nabiki, her hair plastered to her skull with sweat,
stumbling in through the broken door, her sharp eyes taking in
everything in a second. Her hand, releasing the collar of a huge,
unfriendly looking dog. The dog lunging forward, claws skittering on
the floor. The cat, twisting, a storm of claws and teeth, finally
managing to find some flesh to rend as utter panic overtook it. Shampoo
giving a short shriek of pain and dropping the cat, blood streaming from
her lacerated arm. The cat being chased away, the dog in hot pursuit.
No more cat. He was moving forward as the cat fled, his aura
flaring painfully bright, icy fury descending on him. Shampoo took one
step back, bringing her bonbori up to a guard position. He stopped just
outside of her range, his eyes boring into hers. She met his gaze, and
he couldn't tell what she was thinking. Not that it mattered.
"If anything happens to Akane, you'll pay." He barely recognized
the voice as his own. "Give me that antidote, Shampoo. Give it to me
now or so help me, you'll get hurt." He'd never threatened to hurt her
before. Her eyes widened slightly, and then he saw something replace
her defiance. Acceptance. At long last, she had to admit that it was
over. She had lost.
She reached inside her dress with her free hand, pulling out a
small pink pill and holding it up between her thumb and index finger.
Ranma wordlessly held out his hand for the pill.
Then he watched in horror as she flipped it into her own mouth.
And swallowed it.

End part 3
Revised Sept. 31/97