[Ranma][Fanfic] Nabiki-New Horizons - Part 4

Uncle Fester

Nov 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/18/96

Nabiki - New Horizons
Pt. 4 - Sodoshi's Revenge
by Uncle Fester

Sodoshi Tanaka stared idly out the window of the train as it
rapidly wound its way through the hills and woods southwest of Tokyo.
All this prophecy' business concerned her. Her own clan, the Clan of
the Cold Moon, was considered extinct. So few remained alive after 400
years of blood hunts' caused by her ancestors siding with an outside
shogun against the other shinobi mountain clans. Her own family,
Sodoshi included, had suffered at the hands of unknown assassins. She,
alone, survived. The prophecy was to end her clan's four century old
torture. It was to save what was left of her people and guarantee their
survival. For some reason, that gave her little comfort; it was coming
too late for her personally.
Nabiki sat next to her trying to read the business section of the
daily newspaper but found it hard to concentrate. Her mind kept
wandering back to the room where her husband clung to life after an
assassin's attack in the family dojo. The attack was not totally
unexpected as Jeff had been proclaimed to be the promised one'; the
person who would open the old monk's cave and reveal to the shinobi
clans a 400 year old secret that would bring peace to their people.
Some obviously desired that secret to remain unrevealed. But a mistake
had been made. Jeff was not the one of the prophecy, she was. It now
fell to her to stand before the shinobi clans, open the cave, and end
her clan's 400 year ordeal.
Akane and Ranma sat across from the two older girls, Akane next to
the window, facing the brooding Sodoshi. Throughout the trip, Akane
kept a tight vigil on her newly discovered clan sister. She didn't
fully trust the last shadow warrior of their clan.
"I think I'll see what's available in the snack car'." Nabiki said
as she gave up trying to read the stock quotes and set aside her paper.
Standing to stretch, she looked at the others. "Can I get anyone
anything?"
Ranma quickly got up and offered to go with her. Not so much
because he was hungry again, he was, but because he felt he failed by
not being closer when the assassin struck Jeff. He wasn't going to
repeat that error with Nabiki. Where she went, he was determined to
follow.
"Sodoshi?" Nabiki asked trying to prompt a reaction; any reaction.
"No," the older girl replied without taking her eyes off of the
passing scenery. Akane also declined, secretly choosing instead to
continue keeping an eye on Sodoshi.
"Ok, suit yourselves," Nabiki shrugged. "Come on, Ranma. Maybe
they have some squid-on-a-stick or something."
The pair weren't gone two minutes when Sodoshi finally responded to
Akane's attentions.
"Are you going to stare at me the whole way?" Sodoshi sounded
almost as irritated as she was.
"If I have to." Akane replied guardedly.
Sodoshi never liked being watched. It made her uneasy. She didn't
like feeling uneasy.
"What's your problem, anyway?" Sodoshi finally asked, shooting the
younger girl a withering scowl.
"I'm just trying to figure out where you fit into all this."
Akane's face was hard and serious. Nabiki may have accepted this shadow
warrior, but Akane found it too hard. There were just too many
unanswered questions about her.
Sodoshi sized up the younger girl. Dressed in a stylish bib-type
pair of pants over a scarlet colored long sleeved blouse, she looked too
girlish for Sodoshi's taste. She had heard Akane was a trained martial
artist but dismissed her as a serious warrior after seeing the way she
dressed and acted. She also didn't like the childish way the girl
talked.
"I just want to know one thing," Akane asked pointedly. "Did you
have anything to do with the attack on my father?"
Sodoshi snorted and returned to looking out the window. She didn't
feel like answering a bunch of fool questions. "If I had, he wouldn't
be alive."
"Sodoshi, my sister may have accepted you as someone special, but I
think you're just as bad as the assassins who tried to kill Jeff." That
drew a sharp reaction from Sodoshi, who snapped a harsh look Akane's
way. Undaunted, Akane finished her thoughts. "I don't trust you. I
don't like you. I don't know why you're pretending to my sister's
friend, but I'm going to watch you. I think you're up to something."
Sodoshi just shook her head in disgust and returned to looking out
the window. She didn't like irritants either and Akane was rapidly
becoming an irritant.
"I know what you're thinking," Akane pressed. "You don't believe I
can take care of myself."
Sodoshi chuckled. "If you didn't have that stud puppy hanging
around you all the time, you'd already be a stone shrine somewhere. I'm
not impressed with you, Akane Tendo. You may have the blood, but you're
no shinobi."
"What?" Akane responded in shock. "I had the same mother as
Nabiki. How dare you..."
"You may have had a shinobi mother but you're no shinobi." Sodoshi
interrupted with a growl. "To be of the clan you have to have it here."
She made a fist and struck her chest sharply. "You have to be willing
to face death when you know there's no chance at survival. Nabiki's
done that. We may be different, but I'm prepared to claim Nabiki as my
clan sister." She scowled at Akane, her jaw set, her anger apparent.
"But *not* you."
Silence reigned for several seconds as the two girls glared at each
other.
"Sodoshi did you attack my father?" Akane shifted in her seat and
fixed Sodoshi in the hardest stare she could muster.
"And what if I did?"
"Then you and I will have some unfinished business to attend to
when this prophecy' stuff is over." Akane leaned forward slightly with
her challenge. "Nobody, attacks my family; especially in our own home."
Sodoshi almost smiled. Maybe Akane *did* have a warrior's heart.
Knowing she was no match for Sodoshi, she was openly challenging the
older girl. Having been attacked herself in her own home, Sodoshi could
relate to Akane's anger. Perhaps the girl deserved an answer; but just
one.
"No, Akane, I had nothing to do with the attack on your father.
Unless you consider running for my life from Master Sato's ninjas
contributing to the attack."
Nabiki and Ranma's return ended any further discussion. Sodoshi
abruptly stood up and pushed her way past Nabiki, heading for the end of
the train.
"Where are you going?" Nabiki asked.
<More stupid questions.> Sodoshi grimaced. "I need some air."
Sodoshi's departure left Akane staring blankly at an unoccupied
seat. Her face a mixture of surprise and anger.
"What was that all about?" Nabiki asked her sister.
Akane abruptly stood up and took off down the isle the opposite
direction of Sodoshi.
"Akane?" Ranma tried to ask.
"Nowhere!" Akane shot back. "Now leave me alone."
Stunned, Ranma slumped down in his original seat across from
Nabiki, hands full of snacks, and stared confusedly ahead.
"Obviously, those two don't get along," she tried to make light of
the situation but failed due to her own concern for the welfare of both
girls.
Taking a deep breath and blowing it up her bangs, Nabiki lamented
the start of their little adventure'.

-----*-----

At sundown, leaders of 12 shinobi clans gathered at the entrance to
the monk's cave. In spite of the importance of the occasion, most were
clad in simple yukatas without their clan markings. There was little
discussion amongst the gathered, with one exception.
"So where is this promised one' of the prophecy?" Toshiro Tougo,
leader of the Clan of the Snow Fox bellowed. He and he alone came
dressed in traditional shadow warrior' attire. "This has all the
earmarks of another fiasco from that fool, Sato."
While traditionally equal in status to Tougo, the assembled chiefs
remained silent. Their powers had waned over the years while those of
the Snow Fox clan had grown. Accordingly, few had the nerve to openly
confront the pompous Tougo.
"I see all have arrived," Master Sato observed as he entered the
clearing. Noting his old nemesis, Tougo, he added: "Even the high and
mighty have honored us with their presence."
"I wouldn't miss this for the world, Sato." The arrogant Tougo
snorted. "You're always good for an evening's entertainment. Bring
forth your promised one'."
Sato ignored the taunt and formally introduced Nabiki, Sodoshi, and
Akane. The girls stepped forward, eyeing the assembled with suspicion.
"Girls?!" Tougo laughed. "You bring us mear girls? Ho, Sato.
You've outdone yourself this time." He held his stomach as he roared
with laughter. "What are *they* going to do? A tea ceremony?"
Ignoring his tormentor, Sato acknowledged the other shinobi chiefs;
honoring their presence as equals, bowing to each as called their clan
names.
"Who's your young pup, Sato?" Tougo taunted. "It would seem you
forgot his leash."
Ranma bristled at the suggestion. His body language clearly
indicated his willingness to deal with the Snow Fox clan chief himself.
Akane quickly restrained her fiance with a hand to his shoulder. Still,
Ranma glared at Tougo.
"Ranma Saotome is pledged in marriage to Akane Tendo, daughter of
the Cold Moon clan, and is therefore entitled to be here." Sato said
flatly.
"Very well, Sato," Tougo snorted with a wave of his hand in Sato's
direction. "Just get on with it."
Sato bowed slightly and turned to Nabiki.
"It is time, little one," he said while handing her a small scroll
he removed from his sash.
Nervously, she bowed politely and moved where he indicated her to
stand.
Nabiki looked first to Akane, who just smiled slightly and nodded,
then to Sodoshi who's eyes were fixed on the hated chief of the Snow Fox
clan. It was evident that she would like nothing better than to pull
her katana and deal with the evil Tougo immediately. It was only out of
respect for her clan sister, Nabiki, that she restrained herself...but
just barely.
All eyes turned to watch as Nabiki approached the blocked entrance
to the cave. She examined the rock surface of the blocking wall and
began to have doubts.
<This is solid rock. I see no entrance' here.> she protested in
her mind as she felt it's hard surface. <How am I supposed to open
this?>
[Simply read the scroll, little one.]
Nabiki glanced down at the small bit a parchment in her hand and
pursed her lips. She was putting a great deal of trust in Master Sato's
word. Embarrassment was a distinct possibility. Swallowing hard, she
stepped back and glared at the blocking wall of rock like it was a
personal affront.
Slowly, she opened the scroll and started to read out loud. The
poor light and ancient kanji characters slowed her speech so that every
word sounded dramatic and purposeful.
All eyes were watching the rock surface of the cave entrance,
anticipating a dramatic occurrence. When, Nabiki finished with the
scroll, silence prevailed for several seconds until it became evident to
all present that nothing had happened. Evident to everyone, that is,
except Nabiki and her clan sisters.
"The way is now open." she said with a heavy sigh.
There was much exchanging of looks among the clans. Tougo,
however, was more animated.
"Fake!" he yelled, stepping between Nabiki and the cave entrance.
"You've brought all of us out here in the dead of night for a fake." He
was clearly reveling in Sato's apparent failure to fulfill the prophecy.
"I can't believe we have all been so taken in."
"But the way is open." Nabiki said looking between Tougo and the
cave entrance. "Can't you see it?"
Tougo quickly lost his joviality and scowled at Nabiki as he drew
his black katana. Stepping up to the rock wall, he shot Sato an evil
look. Sodoshi, instinctively, moved next to Nabiki, her hand on the
hilt of her own weapon. Her intent was clear; protect clan sister
Nabiki.
"Fake!" Tougo yelled again as he swung his blade to strike the
solid rock surface. The sound of metal striking rock echoed across the
valley below.
Nabiki shook her head. <What is going on? Can't they all see? The
entrance is clear.>
As if to prove her point, Nabiki slowly walked forward, holding her
amulet in front of her. Sodoshi, following her clan sister's lead,
pulled her own amulet out from under her blouse and followed Nabiki. To
the gathered clans, the two girls seemed to walk through solid rock and
disappear into the side of the mountain.
This set off a mad scramble by all present. The noble leaders of
12 shinobi clans tried to simultaneously follow the girls into the cave;
only to have a solid rock surface halt their advance. To all but
members of the Clan of the Cold Moon, the entrance was still blocked.
The effect on Tougo was electric.
"We've been tricked!" he yelled brandishing his katana. He had an
audience and intended to make the most of it. "The Cold Moon Clan will
now have all the secrets of the cave to themselves. We have just
delivered to a vengeful clan the means to our own destruction. They
will use the powerful secrets of the cave to seek revenge on us all for
the blood hunts'."
He turned to Sato, gripping his katana in both hands, and glaring
at the old man. <No, Sato is too powerful.> he thought as his eyes began
darting amongst the gathered, finally stopping on a serious looking
Akane. <Yes, the girl.>
"We can only protect ourselves with a hostage." he growled loudly,
looking at Akane. "With the youngest as our hostage, the rest of this
rebel clan will *have* to share the secrets." He paused, eyes fixed on
his intended victim. "Or risk the girl's life."
Tougo's advance towards Akane was abruptly interrupted by Ranma
stepping in front of his fianc‚. Assuming a kamaeru posture, signaling
the figurative drawing of a line in the dirt, Ranma made it clear that
*no one* was going to hold Akane or anyone else hostage.
"Hold your blade, Tougo." Master Sato said in a commanding voice.
"There will be no blood this evening."
Tougo, once again, glared at the elder shinobi master before a
small smile creased his face. This was earlier than he planned, but
these things couldn't be helped. After all, he was a man of destiny.
With a sharp whistle, the surrounding woods seemed to come alive with
black clad warriors, all wearing the Snow Fox clan crest. As they
quickly took their positions, something disturbing became evident; they
were all armed with various kinds of firearms.
"Tougo, you fool." Sato growled, returning the Snow Fox clan
leader's glare. "Modern weapons are forbidden by our codes, you know
that."
"Your codes." Tougo snorted as he approached Master Sato. "Your
precious codes have left you pathetic peasants weak and unworthy of
calling yourselves shinobi'." He sheathed his katana and accepted a
small caliber automatic handgun from one of his masked ninjas. "We rule
the shinobi now." He stopped almost toe-to-toe with Sato. "We will
assume the powers offered by the cave."
"And just how do you propose obtaining those secrets?" Sato calmly
asked.
"When your *children* return from the cave, we will take whatever
they have found." Tougo was acting even more smug than usual. His
plans were coming together exactly as he anticipated.
"Sodoshi is *very* good." Sato was playing out the string to see
just how mad Tougo was.
Tougo snapped his fingers and two ninjas assumed positions ten feet
from the cave entrance, their light automatic weapons leveled to cover
anyone exiting the cave.
"She had better be, Sato." Tougo's smirk was as close to a slap as
the clan chief dared.

Inside the cave, things were not much better. As the two girls
entered, the walls and ceiling began to glow bright amber, as if the
monk's ki was still present and lighting the way. Nabiki swallowed hard
as she approached a flattened rock in the center of the room. Laying
directly in the center of the rock's surface was another scroll.
<This must be it.> she thought while approaching the rock.
Both girls paused before the rock, silently staring at the scroll.
Without even a glance Sodoshi's way, Nabiki gently picked the ancient
roll up and cradled it in her hands. It felt surprisingly new and
untouched by age.
"I want that scroll," Sodoshi growled, her eyes locked on the prize
as if in a trance.
"What?" Nabiki asked in shocked surprise. Sodoshi had been
surprisingly cooperative up to this point, but the sight of a potential
weapon with which to strike back at her enemies was, apparently, too
much for her.
"I want that scroll," Sodoshi repeated as Nabiki quickly clutched
the scroll to her chest. "My family... my brother..." Her face began
to transform, once again, into the mask of hate Nabiki had seen back in
Hawaii. "I want my revenge!"
"Revenge?" Nabiki instinctively began backing away from her clan
sister. "Revenge is an unprofitable venture, Sodoshi."
"Nabiki," the older girl growled, her eyes burning with hatred. "I
*will* avenge my family."
Nabiki's retreat abruptly ended at the cave wall. With nowhere to
run, she clutched the scroll tighter and tried to reason with her out of
control clan sister.
"She who seeks revenge should start by digging two graves; one for
her intended victim and the other for herself."
"You quote Chinese nonsense, clan sister." Sodoshi halted her
advance. In spite of her contention to the contrary, Nabiki's words
appeared to have had their desired affect. Sodoshi seemed to be
struggling with her own convictions.
For several seconds, the two girls stared at each other; an
invisible battle of wills. Sodoshi wanted the means to avenge her
family and Nabiki was holding out for peace. Someone was going to lose.
"Sodoshi, the only way for the prophecy to be fulfilled is for us
to use this scroll for peace." Nabiki held the scroll up in front of her
face, just out of Sodoshi's reach. "What about the shinobi code of
respect, loyalty, and honesty?"
"Honesty?!?" Sodoshi sounded incredulous. "I thought you were a
businesswoman. What do you know about honesty?"
"Sodoshi, I may have taken advantage of the weaknesses of others,
but I *never* cheated anyone in *any* of my business dealings." Nabiki
was glaring at her clan sister. There were many things you could accuse
Nabiki of and she wouldn't even raise an eyebrow, but her honesty was
something she prided herself on and any suggestion to the contrary was
guaranteed to draw a strong reaction. "My customers *always* got what
they paid for."
"I could just take it from you," Sodoshi noted as she clenched and
unclenched her fists.
"You will have to kill me first, clan sister," Nabiki tucked the
scroll into her blouse. "And I don't think even you are capable of such
a deed."
The impasse was reached. Nabiki was unwilling to hand over the
scroll and Sodoshi was unable to bring herself to physically attack her
only friend in the world.

----- * -----

Back at the Tendo home, the smell of Kasumi's cooking drifted up to
the room where Doctor Tofu was keeping his vigil over Jeff's battered
body. His mind drifted back to the night before when Kasumi kept watch
while he slept.
<Why can't I bring myself to tell her how I feel? Why do I always
lose myself to lunacy whenever I see her face or hear her voice?> he
lamented with a heavy sigh. <When this is all over, I must tend to my
own life.>
He stood, stretched and cast one last look at his patient. Jeff
Lawrence was breathing normally. Still in a coma, to be sure, but all
his vital signs were improving and the good doctor was hopeful for the
first time in the last 24 hours.
He was about to turn away, when Jeff's body began to glow amber
once again. Intrigued, Tofu stopped and stared as the glowing increased
to an almost incandescent level.
<This shouldn't be happening,> he thought as he approached the bed.
<Why would there be a massive outpouring of ki energy?>
Just as he reached Jeff's body, the glow abruptly flared and went
out. After a short, shocked pause, he frantically checked Jeff's vital
signs. There were none. For several seconds, Tofu stood dumbstruck.
"I... I don't believe this. He was doing well." Tofu said out
loud, slumping to his knees. "He should have recovered."
He had lost patients before, but this one struck close to home.
Not since Mrs. Tendo, had a death so personally affected the doctor.
Jeff may have been a newcomer but he was still family.
Like an exhausted man, he leaned against the bed, closed his eyes,
and tried to think of just what he would tell the rest of the family...
not to mention, Nabiki.

-----*-----

The impasse in the cave was rapidly reaching its peak; the two
girls of the Cold Moon clan glaring at each other. Nabiki was no
martial artist and knew she could not match her clan sister, should she
decide to physically take the scroll. Sodoshi, shocked by Nabiki's
determined resistance, couldn't bring herself to harm her new found
friend.
A bright flash at the back of the cave startled both girls; causing
them to momentarily forget their clash of wills. As the amber glow
faded, a figure slowly took shape. Nabiki was the first to recognize
the ghostly figure.
"Jeff?" she asked in a shocked voice barely above a whisper.
Sodoshi slowly backed away, her hand hovering near the hilt of her
sword. Her face was that of a person who had just seen a ghost.
Jeff's apparition blinked and looked around slowly before fixing
his gaze on the startled Nabiki. She feared what this spirit meant for
her husband.
"Does this mean you're dead?" Sodoshi finally voiced the question
both were pondering as she reached the cave's farthest corner.
Jeff's spirit scratched himself and appeared to consider the
question for a few seconds before answering.
"I don't know," he began with a voice that sounded like it was
coming from the inside of a barrel. "I feel something binding me like a
long rubber band." The two girls exchanged confused glances. "Either
that, or it's the mother of all wedgies." He shifted his position
uncomfortably.
Nabiki and Sodoshi looked incredulously at the glowing spirit.
Neither felt brave enough to continue the conversation.
"Have you given the scroll to Sodoshi yet?" Jeff's spirit finally
asked.
Shaken out of her shock, Nabiki hesitantly replied: "No, Jeff. She
wants to use it for revenge." Casting another wary glance at Sodoshi,
"That's *not* what it's for."
Sodoshi just bristled and started to advance on Nabiki again.
Jeff's booming voice caused her to freeze in her tracks.
"That's impossible, Nabs" Jeff's spirit laughed, using his pet name
for her. "There is nothing in the scroll that could be used for such
things." He chuckled again. "Give the scroll to your clan sister.
Trust me."
Nabiki looked incredulously at Jeff's spirit as it seemed to float
gently over the small ledge at the far end of the cave. The same ledge
that once served as the monk's bed.
"Give the scroll to Sodoshi?" Nabiki looked at her husband's spirit
out of the corner of her eyes.
"Yes," he replied pleasantly. Too pleasantly, if you asked Nabiki.
"Very well, Jeff-chan," Nabiki gulped as she started to hold the
scroll out to Sodoshi. "But only because you say so."
Since a child, Nabiki had been told stories of how spirits were
more perceptive, intuitive, and wise than the living. Having accepted
this spirit as being Jeff's, she was convinced that it wouldn't harm her
or tell her a falsehood. It obviously knew more about the scroll than
she did.
Eagerly, Sodoshi snatched the scroll from her clan sister and
scurried across the cave to read her prize'.
"I hope you know what you're doing." Nabiki muttered as she watched
her clan sister's reaction.
"It'll be fine," Jeff's spirit replied as it looked like it was
trying to sit down and cross its legs. "The prophecy clearly spoke of
restoring peace to your clan. A rampaging Sodoshi would *not* restore
peace. Therefore, for her to use the scroll for evil purposes could not
possibly be part of the prophecy." He sounded confident. Nabiki gulped
hard and hoped he was right.
"Read it out loud, Sodoshi." Jeff's spirit cheerfully suggested.
"Do you need more light?" The spirit waived his arm and the cave seemed
to glow more brightly over the older clan member.
Sodoshi gently unrolled the scroll. It's condition hardly showed
its 400 year age. In fact, it handled and felt like something that was
produced only yesterday. Suspiciously, Sodoshi shot Jeff's spirit an
angry look.
"Sodoshi," Jeff's spirit taunted. "What did you expect of a
magical scroll? Something that would crumble at your very touch? That
wouldn't be very magical now would it?"
The older clan warrior scowled at Jeff's spirit but continued to
unroll the scroll. Turning to read, she stared at the words, absorbing
each as if it were a gift from the gods themselves. They were
surprisingly easy to read, considering their age.
"Struggle breeds more struggle." Sodoshi stopped and glared at
Nabiki. It was as if Nabiki, herself, had written this section. With a
small gulp, Sodoshi returned to reading the scroll.
"The accomplished warrior is a man of profound peace; taking up the
brush with as much fervor as he once did the sword."
For several seconds, the room was deathly quiet. The bright glow
over Sodoshi seemed to fade slowly back to its normal level. Sodoshi,
frantically looked through the scroll again, her mouth silently mouthing
the words as she read them.
"No!" she whimpered. "This can't be the real scroll." She started
to rummage around the cave looking for another scroll.
"It's the real thing, all right." Jeff's spirit replied as he
looked between the clan sisters. "Don't you understand?" His gaze was
fixed on Sodoshi now. "The whole thing has been a fool's errand.
Everything in that scroll is already understood by every shinobi
everywhere."
"But the secret..." Sodoshi pleaded.
"Is already known." Nabiki finished. She was beginning to see what
the prophecy was all about. It wasn't about revenge or hatred. When
the monk first visited the shinobi clans, he arrived at the start of the
blood hunts'. Nabiki's clan was to be exterminated for its role in the
shogun's war. Knowing that no people could possibly survive harboring
hatred of their own, the monk devised a plan. He believed the shinobi
would regain their senses and make peace on their own. But they needed
an incentive; something to have peace for. So he fashioned a prophecy,
left the message on a scroll for future generations, and slipped over
the boundary between worlds to protect that message until the prophecy
was to be fulfilled. When the conditions were right, the cave would be
opened and the shinobi people would be given the chance to bind their
wounds and renew their purpose in the world.
It had been all so cleaver. The feud, the prophecy, the
forgiveness. Nabiki marveled at the cleverness of such a plan. She
envied the monk's abilities. He would have made a wonderful business
partner.
"Do you understand now, Sodoshi?" Jeff's sprit asked softly. "It's
what fueled the monk's teachings. It's about forgiveness and love.
It's about the return of one clan to the shinobi family. It's about
peace."
Sodoshi froze, staring at Jeff's spirit, her mouth moving in silent
protest. It was all true and she knew it. Slowly, she collapsed
against the cave wall, her eyes beginning to water out of frustration.
"Looks like I've gotta go now, Nabs," Jeff said as his spirit
began to fade. "Take care of yourself. I'm not sure...." his voice
seemed to fade faster than his vision but his message seemed to indicate
a permanent separation was occurring.
"Jeff!" Nabiki yelled, her panic rising as she stepped towards
where her husband's spirit once glowed. "Don't go."
In seconds, the spirit of Jeff Lawrence faded from view. Gone.
Nabiki hugged her body like she had a sudden chill.
"Thank you, Jeff-chan," Nabiki whispered as she stared at the wall
where Jeff's spirit had been. "I love you."
Certain she just witnessed the passing of her husband, Nabiki
fought her tears as she turned and slapped the cave wall in anger.
Staring at the hard rock surface, she gathered herself and began to
rebuild her protective emotional cocoon. Never again. She would never
let *anyone* get that close to her again.

-----*-----

Doctor Tofu examined Jeff's lifeless body one last time before
leaving to report his failure to the family. He was still in shock over
the suddenness of Jeff's demise. He didn't know Jeff very well, having
only met him once before their wedding, but knowing how much he meant to
Nabiki, that was good enough. If he could capture the heart of someone
like Nabiki Tendo, he must have been someone special.
With a ragged sigh, Tofu stood up and started for the door. Sadly,
he tried to prepare the words he would use when conveying the bad news
to the Tendos. At the door, he stopped and looked back at the body.
"I suppose a miracle is out of the question." he said lightly as he
cast a pleading look at the ceiling.
To his surprise, Jeff's body spasmed, arched his back, and did a
strong inhale. With more hope than expectation, Doctor Tofu rushed to
Jeff's side and quickly checked his vital signs. For the most part,
they were normal.
"Incredible." Tofu stared at the now living Jeff Lawrence. "This
must be one of those medical miracles I've heard so much about," he
mumbled. "I must write down everything that happened while it's still
fresh in my mind." He ambled over to the desk and quickly began writing
on his little pad. "Amazing. Dead one minute and breathing normally
the next. I *must* remember the miracle' bit next time."

-----*-----

In the cave, the sounds of two females softly crying cast a somber
pall over the great discovery of the monk's secret scroll. Sodoshi,
last shadow warrior of the Clan of the Cold Moon, was mourning the lost
opportunity to avenge the deaths of her family. Nabiki, certain the
departure of Jeff's spirit marked his passing into the afterlife,
grieved for her departed husband.
"I hope you're happy, Sodoshi," Nabiki angrily sniffed, wiping her
eyes of their tears. "You've got the sorrow you've wanted."
Sodoshi shook her head. "What difference does it make. We're all
dead now." She pulled her knees up and wrapped her arms around her
legs, hugging them to her scarred body. "They'll finish us for sure."
"We're not dead, Sodoshi." Nabiki bitterly observed. "The blood
hunt' is over." She paused looking at the place where Jeff's spirit was
only moments before.
"We have nothing to fight back with." Sodoshi looked at her clan
sister with narrowed eyes. She was a warrior. Her whole life was
fighting. She had faced long odds before but sitting in a strange cave
lit by the ki of a long dead monk and holding a scroll that was supposed
to have given her invincibility but only proved worthless, she suddenly
felt powerless, helpless, and doomed.
Nabiki went to sit next to her clan sister. Misery loves company.
"What are we supposed to do with this?" Sodoshi finally asked
holding the monk's scroll like it was a worthless piece of paper.
Carefully, Nabiki took the scroll and turned it over several times
in her hands. She tried to rationalize in her own mind how this little
piece of rolled up paper could cause so much misery. She couldn't make
herself believe it was all worth the trouble. It was the worst business
deal she had ever been involved in. It's price was too high and it's
worth negligible.
"I guess we should take it to Master Sato," Nabiki tiredly said.
She really didn't care anymore.
With great effort, Nabiki staggered to her feet and stood looking
at the seemingly blocked entrance to the cave. She fingered her clan
amulet, her mind still on Jeff's spirit. He was trying to tell her
something when he disappeared. What was it?
"You go ahead," Sodoshi buried her face in her knees. "I have no
reason to leave. I've nowhere to go."
Something in the way Sodoshi said that sent a chill up Nabiki's
spine. She was losing friends and family at an unacceptable rate.
Nabiki turned to look at her clan sister. She looked smaller, more
vulnerable than any time Nabiki had ever seen her.
"You're not staying here," It was more of a statement than a
question. Inside, Nabiki abruptly stopped rebuilding her wall. There
was one more person she *wanted* to let in. She didn't know why, but
there was something in his older girl that touched Nabiki deeply.
Sodoshi's body seemed to shudder as she took a deep breath.
"Didn't you hear me?" Sodoshi moaned into her legs. "I have no
reason to leave." The older girl shuddered again. "If I go out there,
it'll start all over again. The killing. The running. I'm sick of it
all."
"You're going to give up?" Nabiki's voice was shock tinged with
anger. Nabiki had been bested before in business and life. Sometimes,
that defeat had been expensive, financially or emotionally, but she had
*never* considered giving up. It was simply not in her nature. To see
someone as strong and capable as Sodoshi blubbering and willing to
surrender angered her. "You're better than this, Sodoshi."
"Nabiki, I've lost everything. Mother, father, brother, all gone.
I've no home to go to. I've got no one waiting for me out there except
those who want me dead." Sodoshi looked seriously at Nabiki. It was
clear that she was resolved to remain where she was.
Nabiki took a deep breath and let it out slowly before proceeding.
"I won't let you give up, Sodoshi." Nabiki said looking away from
the older girl. "If you won't leave for yourself..." She paused and
turned to look at her clan sister. "Do it for me."
Sodoshi grimaced and looked at the Nabiki, unsure of what to say.
"Don't look at me like that. You heard what I said."
"I don't understand," Sodoshi began. "I've cursed you. I've
tormented you. I've hated you. Still you refuse to hate me in return.
Why?"
"Maybe it's because you and I are so much alike." Nabiki forced a
smile. "I don't have very many friends out there either. I guess,
outside of my family..." Her voice trailed off as she thought of Jeff.
"Look, if it's a place to stay, you can move in with me and my family.
We've got room."
"I don't take charity, Nabiki." Sodoshi looked hurt at the offer.
"Charity?" Nabiki snorted. "I'll work your butt day and night. Can
you cook?"
"A little."
"Clean?"
"I suppose."
"How about doing a little teaching in the dojo? It's just sitting
there doing nothing. About time we started getting some income off of
that building." Nabiki must have been a good saleswoman because Sodoshi
began to look interested.
"You mean, after all I've done, you'd do this for me?" Sodoshi
looked questionably at her clan sister.
"Like I said, I don't have that many friends out there." Nabiki
smiled again, this time it looked genuine. "Sometimes... sometimes, I
need someone to talk to who's not family."
Sodoshi pondered Nabiki's offer. A twinge of pain from her
misshapen stomach reminded her of something.
"I doubt I will be able to help you much in the dojo, clan sister."
She ran her hand over the area just below her rib cage. "I don't have
the endurance necessary."
Nabiki chuckled painfully. "Sodoshi, I have enough money to get
you the best doctors in the world. If anything can be done... well,
let's just say we'll get you fixed up."
"A home. No more pain. Being around people again." Sodoshi
thought through her answer out loud. "You make it sound pretty good,
clan sister."
"Just sister', Sodoshi. I'm afraid the clan is dead."
Sodoshi nodded sadly and started to get up. It really looked like
the Clan of the Cold Moon was finished.
"Let's take that treasure' out to the old man." Sodoshi pointed to
the monk's scroll in Nabiki's hand and forced a small chuckle. "At
least, *he'll* have something to celebrate this evening."
"You know, Louie. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful
friendship." Nabiki did her best Bogart while putting an arm around the
older girl's waist.
"Casablanca, right?"
"You like old movies too?"
"Love em."
"This could turn out better than I expected." The two girls
started for the cave entrance.

They might have walked right into the Snow Fox clan's trap had not
Nabiki suddenly jerked to a stop, her head up, her warning senses
practically screaming.
"Trouble." she said flatly.
"Tougo." Sodoshi spit out the name as her hand instinctively went
to the hilt of the sword on her back.
In a voice that practically boomed in their heads, they heard
Master Sato's voice: [Wait for help.]
Slowly, the two girls backed away from the cave entrance.
"Wait? Wait for who? Wait for what? How long?" Nabiki asked out
loud, all the time trying to establish some kind of two way
communication with Sato. It was clearly far beyond her abilities. Her
questions went unanswered.

-----*-----

Things had deteriorated outside. Tougo was growing impatient.
"Get the explosives." He yelled grabbing one of his ninjas by the
collar and shoving him back towards the woods. "If the children refuse
to return to us on their own, we'll encourage' them to leave their
little hiding hole."
Master Sato sadly shook his head and crossed his arms.
"The time has come." he mumbled closing his eyes and concentrating.
The leaders of the other clans followed suit, crossing their arms
and closing their eyes.
For several minutes, nothing seemed to happen. Akane and Ranma
began to think the old man had simply given up; resigning himself and
the rest of the shinobi to whatever was to come. Neither had the
slightest hint of the horror that was to come.
Akane was the first to see it. And what she did see caused her to
think her sight was at fault. Small patches of waxy light clinging to
the trees slowly oozed into pools just outside the clearing. And from
those center cores of concentrated glow, tendrils of mist lazily curled
out, as a many-armed sea creature might allow its appendages to float in
the water which supported it. Tendrils crossed, met, and thickened.
There was a growing river of eerie light which spread, again resembling
a sea wave licking out into the clearing. And where it touched, unlike
the wave, it did not retreat, but lapped on. Was it really happening?
Akane could not be sure. It glowed in a sickly gray-green color and
grew, slowly at first, then faster as it approached the clearing. If it
was real, there was a purpose behind it.
Slithering along the ground like a serpent, a single tentacle of
gray-green fog slowly approached the gathered shinobi. Soon other
tentacles emerged from the ground, from the trees, from nature itself.
Joining, pooling, then separating again, the fog began to take fantastic
shapes that would last for only a moment, then dissolve back into
formlessness. Throughout it all, it kept growing and advancing,
relentlessly towards the gathered. Akane instinctively recoiled from
the malevolent sight before her, her foot moving slowly to step away.
[Stand still, child.] Sato's voice boomed a warning in her head.
[Stand still, least you be judged.]
Akane didn't know what he meant by that but felt unprepared to test
its veracity. Trembling slightly, Akane Tendo waited the fog's arrival.
The first of the black clad ninjas to feel the touch of the fog
reacted as if an unearthly beast had just grabbed him. As a single
tentacle of mist crawled over his foot and started to climb his leg, he
suddenly screamed in terror. Frantically, he emptied his pistol into
the fog, all the time retreating across the clearing in panic. Akane
froze in place watching as one after another of the Snow Fox clan
screamed and ran. Some she saw. Some she only heard, their voices
sounding inhuman as they screamed in mindless, unheeding terror.
Whatever was in the fog, the ninjas feared more than death itself. All
around the clearing, gunshots could be heard as Snow Fox clan ninjas
fought the unseen terror, battling for their lives.
Directly behind Akane, a ninja screamed and fired wildly into the
woods; his shots causing Akane to flinch and cringe. As the ninja
scrambled in terror for escape, his body collided with hers, knocking
her to the ground. On hands and knees, she tried to freeze, hoping her
unintentional indiscretion would go unnoticed. She was wrong.
From all directions, thick serpents of malevolent mist converged on
the frightened girl. The first tentacle slithered across her bare leg.
Its touch felt cold, slimy on her skin; like that of a dead creature.
The rest of the fog was quick to follow. Like the smoke of a forest
fire, the fog formed a misty blanket that covered her face. She inhaled
its sickly odor and fought back a wave of nausea. Like the inside of a
tomb, this was the deadly breath of un-life. Instantly, her mind was
flooded with images; memories of events in her life. None of them
pleasant. Her body shook and her head snapped back as she relived every
painful episode. Akane's face grimaced with pain as her childhood
flashed past; her mother's death, her reaction, her hate, her anguish.
Tears began to roll down her cheeks as the weight of her past deeds
pressed down on her. As if the dead were trying to claim the living,
Akane felt like her body was being pressed into the earth, undead hands
gripping her with icy fingers. In a panic, her fingers clawed at the
grass; trying, in desperation, to prevent her soul from being stolen.
Her breathing became labored, broken with sobs for the things she had
done in the past and regretted.
Then came the images of Ranma. These hurt more than any other.
Every insult, every remembered act of violence against him became a blow
that stabbed at her, bringing gasps of pain and sobs of repentance.
Every scene of her anger towards her fiance brought flashes of pain that
seemed to explode in her chest and radiate up through her head, causing
her head to slam into the ground with every flash. She heard someone
whimper and begin to beg for forgiveness. Akane felt pity for the poor
girl, she must have been in agony. More stabs of pain and she
recognized the voice as hers; she was almost screaming in pain, begging
for Ranma to forgive her, begging for control of her soul that was being
ripped out of her chest.
Ranma, having instinctively moved to protect his fiance, found
himself undergoing the same painful trial. Quickly, the mist moved in
and he felt the cold fingers of death grasp his throat and drag him to
the ground. His body spasming only a meter from his Akane. Vivid
images of his mother, his deceit of her, his treatment of Akane, his
torment of Ryoga flashed past his eyes as if they were happening
simultaneously. He grabbed his head and screamed Akane's name into the
soft grass, his tears mixing with the early morning dew. He saw the
betrayal of the trusting Ukyou, the rejection of the infatuated Shampoo,
the deceit of the lustful Kodachi and felt their pain magnified and
directed inwardly, tearing at his heart. But most of all, he saw the
hurt expression of Akane. He heard every word and saw every careless
action. His shame and remorse tore at him; violently ripping out what
pride and stubbornness he had left. He too, begged for forgiveness,
sobbing for the first time since his childhood, his voice rising to blot
out the screams around him.

As quickly as it began, it was over. Akane and Ranma lay within
arms reach of each other, their eyes locked, their bodies still
trembling from the aftershocks of their ordeal. Volumes wordlessly
passed between them, their lips moving silently, their eyes fighting
their tears. They had survived judgement but were changed forever by
the experience.
With the last of his strength, Ranma pushed himself up onto his
knees and reached of Akane. Gasping for breath, he tried to speak the
most pure thought he held closest to his heart.
"Akane, I...I...love..."
He never finished. He saw Akane's eyes go wide and her mouth try
to form her words of warning. The blow caused him to see stars for a
second before his world turned black.
What Akane saw struck terror in her like nothing before. This
attacked with viciousness beyond even that of the fog. With eyes that
burned with rage, fear, and hate, Toshiro Tougo reached out and grabbed
Akane by the collar. With almost inhuman strength, he yanked the
youngest member of the Cold Moon clan to her feet and drug her towards
the cave entrance. Akane caught a glimpse of Ranma, face down and
unconscious on the grass. She tried to wrest herself free, but her
strength was no match for the leader of the Snow Fox clan. Spinning her
around to face him, Tougo delivered a slap to Akane's face that made her
head ring. She cried out in pain and tasted her own blood.
"Open the cave!" he commanded, spinning her back around and
wrapping a powerful arm across her chest, pinning her arms to his body.
His fingers dug painfully into her bicep. The cold lethality of a
pistol muzzle pressed angrily into the space behind her ear.
"Open the cave now!" His scream was that of the insane. Akane felt
her strength ebbing, her control slipping, her life approaching its
terminus.
More fog began slithering across the grass towards the pair. Tougo
saw it coming and spun himself and the girl around to face its advance.
"I'll kill her!" he screamed at the tentacles of fog as he backed
towards the cave entrance, dragging the helpless Akane with him. "Stay
away or I'll kill the girl!"
Remarkably, it seemed to work. The fog hesitated, its form
changing and weaving slowly as if it were straining against a leash.
"Hah! I've beaten your monster. I've beaten you all!" he crowed
insanely. "I'm the master here! I rule the shinobi! I..." His last
boast was suddenly cut short, his eyes growing wide, his voice reduced
to a pitiful gasp.
Sensing her chance at freedom, Akane summoned her remaining
strength and drove her elbow sharply into the older man's chest. His
grip broken, she dove free and rolled painfully across the grass towards
her only hope, her love, her protector; Ranma Saotome. She fully
expected to hear a shot and feel the sting of a bullet. Her only
thought was to be as near Ranma as possible when it came. She need not
have worried.
Toshiro Tougo staggered away from the cave entrance, his mouth
foaming with blood and forming silent oaths of hate. Slowly, he turned
towards the cave entrance, revealing a black tanto protruding from his
back. Emerging from the cave, her black katana poised to strike, its
razor sharp edge gleaming in the cold moonlight, Sodoshi Tanaka advanced
in a manner that centuries of samurai would have admired. Tougo caught
sight of his assailant and froze in fear. Before him stood the last
shadow warrior of the Clan of the Cold Moon. Before him stood his final
judgement.
Why Sodoshi didn't immediately strike will never be known. Perhaps
she was savoring the moment. Perhaps she was hearing Nabiki's voice in
her head warning her about the price of revenge. Whatever the cause,
Sodoshi stood poised like a samurai within easy striking distance of her
most hated foe.
It didn't last long. Like a crash of lightning, Sodoshi struck.
"For my brother!" she screamed while delivering her blow. A shot
rang out and Toshiro Tougo received payment in full for his years of
treachery.
Several seconds passed as Sodoshi finished her cut, ending in the
traditional pose of a victorious swordsman, her blade finishing near her
leg, her deformed body still square to her target. The spirits of every
samurai who ever aspired to the perfect cut must have smiled at the
sight of Sodoshi Tanaka that night.
Slowly, Tougo's body slid into two bloody pieces, neatly sliced
from the base of his neck to his opposite hip. Flesh, muscle, and bone
had been cleanly cut in a single blow. For centuries, samurai practiced
such a blow; few ever accomplished such perfection.
Sodoshi held her pose for several more seconds before her body,
trembled and sank to the soft grass, mortally wounded. Even in death,
the evil Tougo was able to inflict suffering. The shot came from his
pistol and pierced Sodoshi's chest near her heart.
Screaming her clan sister's name, Nabiki emerged from the cave fast
enough to catch the collapsing Sodoshi as her body finished its final
fall. The two awkwardly collapsed to the ground. Cradling the older
girl's head in her lap, Nabiki frantically searched for something to
save her clan sister's life but the rapidly spreading stain on Sodoshi's
blouse confirmed that nothing could help the girl. She was paying the
same price as countless warriors before her. She was dying a warrior's
death; struck down in combat, fighting to her last breath for her clan,
her people, her family.
Akane, seeing Sodoshi's fall, crawled painfully over to her side
and took the older girl's free hand in her own. It felt cold as death
even as Sodoshi clung to life.
"I told you." Sodoshi gurgled, bloody foam mixing with her breath.
"I told you I'd get...my revenge."
Nabiki could only nod weakly. Her whole world seemed to be
crashing down around her. First her husband, now her best friend -
perhaps her only true friend in the world, lay dying in her arms.
Sodoshi rummaged clumsily under her blouse with her free hand and
produced her amulet. With her remaining strength, she snapped the cord
that bound it to her and handed it to Nabiki. Swallowing hard, Nabiki
accepted the amulet from Sodoshi's blood stained fingers.
"Give it...give it to your child, clan...clan sister," Sodoshi
croaked.
<Child? What child?> Nabiki thought in confusion. <What is she
talking about?>
"I will, oneechan Sodoshi." Nabiki finally promised making sure to
replace the formal clan sister' with the more appropriate term for
someone who had truly become her sister.
Akane clutched Sodoshi's hand to her chest, bowed her head and wept
openly. Only hours before, she had been prepared to fight the older
girl as an enemy. Now she mourned the girl's passing as if it were
Nabiki or Kasumi.
"Tell imouto Akane of... of our people... our clan." Sodoshi
coughed up more blood. Her time was rapidly approaching. "She... she
has the makings of a good warrior." Sodoshi's eyes looked at the
sobbing Akane. "She has the blood. She has the... the heart of a
warrior."
Nabiki agreed and wiped Sodoshi's mouth free of the bloody foam.
"Nabiki," Sodoshi suddenly whimpered loudly, her voice sounding of
panic, her eyes wide with fright. "Where are you? Don't let me die
alone. Hold me."
Nabiki clutched the dying girl to her and rocked slowly,
soothingly.
"I'm here, Sodoshi. I'll always be here." Nabiki's eyes screwed
tightly shut, tears falling on Sodoshi's dark hair.
Both girls felt Sodoshi shudder and heard her gasp for the last
time. Sodoshi Tanaka, last shadow warrior of the Cold Moon clan, passed
over, leaving behind her painfully misshapen body and her new family.
Nabiki continued to rock Sodoshi's body, talking in soothing tones, like
a mother comforting a frightened child. Her words were more for her own
comfort than Sodoshi's. She felt more alone than any time in her life.
Neither girl saw Ranma stagger to his feet, rubbing the back of his
head or the stirrings of Master Sato and the other clan leaders. They
had remained in their trance throughout the ordeal, carefully protected
from the effects of the fog. No members of the Snow Fox clan remained
in the clearing. Some had crawled off and died of fright in the woods.
Others would be found days later, still wandering mindlessly; forever to
live enslaved in the bodies of the insane.
The first rays of sunlight were beginning to lighten the eastern
sky. Sunrise would be in less than an hour. The night of the cold moon
was almost over. Access to the cave would be sealed once again; never
to be reopened.
As Ranma fell to his knees next to Akane, he stared at Sodoshi's
face with mixed respect and fear. As a trained martial artist, he had
been taught about death and how to prepare for it. But he had never
imagined someone could look into the face of death as many times as
Sodoshi did and still fight on. His shoulders sagged with humility.
Nabiki gently laid Sodoshi's head on the soft grass and folded the
dead girl's arms her across body.
"Ranma, pick her up and follow me," she said in a voice that
strongly suggested that any reluctance would not be tolerated.
Wearily, Ranma complied. With Akane's help, he struggled to pick
up a girl who weighed almost as much as himself. Nabiki placed
Sodoshi's amulet back in her hand, picked up the dead girl's katana and
started for the cave entrance.
As the pair passed through the entrance, Akane stopped short and
waited respectfully. Sodoshi was right when she said she would never
leave the cave. It was going to become her tomb and her shrine.
"Place her over there," Nabiki directed, pointing to the ledge
where Jeff's spirit had appeared.
With some difficulty, Ranma complied and stepped back, his eyes
scanning the cave's interior, looking for ghosts of long dead monks.
Nabiki removed Sodoshi's amulet and placed it in the pocket of her
skirt. Tearing a section of her sleeve free, she gently wiped the
remaining blood from the dead girl's mouth, then arranged the girl's
long hair to cover the bloody spot where Tougo's bullet had entered.
Satisfied she had done the best she could, she placed the black katana
along the girl's body, its hilt in her right hand, and gently folded
Sodoshi's left hand around the monk's scroll.
"Thank you, sister," Nabiki whispered as she bent over to kiss
Sodoshi's cheek. "I'll never forget you."
Stepping back a few feet to join Ranma, the pair bowed deeply to
Sodoshi's body and turned to leave.
<The monk's scroll has a better guardian now.> she thought with
some satisfaction.
Just before exiting, Nabiki stopped and looked back. The cave
seemed darker, much of the monk's ki having drained away. She couldn't
be sure but she thought she saw Sodoshi's spirit standing proudly, arms
crossed, looking every inch the shadow warrior she was.
[I still don't believe the scroll, Nabiki.] Sodoshi's voice
lightheartedly echoed in Nabiki's head. Nabiki smiled painfully and
shook her head. [I will *not* go away. I will always be there to
protect you, sister Nabiki.] With a satisfied nod, Nabiki left the cave
for the last time.
Outside, she and Ranma were met by Master Sato and the clan chiefs.
They were besieged with a barrage of questions.
"Where is the secret of the cave?"
"It was only an old scroll."
"Where is it?"
"With its new guardian."
"Didn't you read it? What did it say?"
"I have no idea. Sodoshi Tanaka was the only person to read it."
Nabiki looked Master Sato in the eyes as she answered. It was only a
partial truth, something the master could usually see through
immediately. But something had happened to Nabiki in the cave. Perhaps
she now had Sodoshi's power to shield her mind from Sato. Maybe he
already knew the truth. In any case, he just returned her stare for a
few moments before nodding and looking at the ground.
"Pity about the scroll." He said in measured tones. "But I
suspect we all know the truth about its contents." He looked around at
the gathered clan leaders. "This is no Grand Council of the Elders, but
I suspect we can all agree that Sodoshi Tanaka *must* be the last
shinobi to die at the hands of a brother. The survival of each of us
depends on our brothers. We must never again permit a blood hunt'."
General agreement murmured its way through the group. Satisfied,
Sato bowed to the clan leaders and started walking towards his village;
Nabiki, Akane and Ranma following.
Out of ear shot of the rest, Sato felt comfortable enough to speak.
"The illusions of the elders can be quite real. The evil ones
suffered at their own hands" Sato mused out loud.
"Was that what we saw? Illusions?" Akane asked timidly.
"You can't play thug all over Japan and not store up in the
subconscious a fine line of private fears and remembered enemies. The
elders just provided the means for releasing those and the evil ones
simply raised their own devils to order." Sato explained as he leaned
on his staff. "Very effective, I believe."
Akane and Ranma shuddered as they remembered their own experiences
with the fog. Their minor' sins were enough to push each to the edge
of madness. The crimes of the Snow Fox clan must have been severe
indeed.
"You did well, little one." Sato said tiredly. "All of you did
well. Even the Chinese kid."
"I'm Japanese..." Ranma wearily retorted.
"You need a haircut too, kid."
Ranma's response was cut off by Akane's giggling. He looked at her
as she bumped into him, her face was swollen from Tougo's blow and dirty
from the trial', her clothes were a mess, but she never looked lovelier
to him. Ordinarily, he would have made some crack about her clumsiness.
But the urge was no longer there. Something else was occupying that
spot. Something he felt sure he would like better.
Tentatively, he put his arm around her shoulders. Still giggling,
Akane covered her mouth with a hand and rolled her head over to rest her
cheek on his shoulder. Her giggling dissolved into tears of relief. It
was over.
"Ranma, take me home." she asked softly between sobs.
In response, Ranma just tightened his arm in a gentle hug. It had
been a long night.

Halfway down the hill, Sato noticed Nabiki's silence.
"He lives, you know," Sato said nonchalantly.
"What?" Nabiki abruptly drew to a stop, staring at the old man.
"What did you say?" She started to run to catch up.
"I told you he would live. After all, I trained him." Sato's face
creased with a tiny smile.
Nabiki was speechless but exhibited all the emotions of someone now
in a hurry to get home. Jeff...alive. Two words that removed her own
blanket of darkness and made the morning something to look forward to.
"Why didn't you tell me this before?" Nabiki demanded.
"I did, little one. But you refused to listen." Sato answered
without missing a step.
Nabiki paused on the path, speechless, her mind a whirl of
emotions. For the life of her, she couldn't remember hearing Master
Sato tell her about Jeff's recovery.
"You must have breakfast in my village before your journey home."
Sato said, sounding more like a village grandfather than a powerful
shinobi master. "My granddaughter is an excellent cook."
Nabiki and the others jerked to a halt again.
"She survived?" Nabiki asked, surprise spreading happily over her
face.
"Of course. I told you she would." Sato answered, continuing to
negotiate the path to his village. "Honestly, little one. You must pay
more attention to what I am telling you."
The three teens looked at each other with surprise.
<I'm going to kill him.> Nabiki thought vacantly.
"I heard that!" Sato's voice came from somewhere up ahead. "We
still need to work on your mental discipline, little one."
Akane and Ranma snickered together like two children as they
followed the master down the trail. Nabiki paused for only a moment,
giving her look' in the general direction Sato had taken, before
following.

-----*-----

The train ride home was subdued, almost somber. The only sounds
were the clacking of the train's wheels and the rush of the car's
ventilators.
Three figures, looking like refugees from an earthquake, rode
uncomfortably. The oldest, in a dirty skirt and ripped blouse, looked
like some who just lost her best friend. The other two, dirty and
disheveled, looked like something coughed up by a cat.
Akane dozed, slumped lightly against Ranma's shoulder, her ordeal
having exhausted her. Even Ranma looked like an accident victim, as he
stared vacantly at the floor. They had faced death and won, but it had
been an expensive victory. They were returning one short.
Nabiki stared absently out the window and watched the passing
scenery. Her thoughts on Sodoshi and her sacrifice.
<A waste.> she thought. <Pointless.> She paused to wipe her eyes.
<Why, Sodoshi? Was revenge that important to you? More important than
me? More important than a chance at a new life?> She sighed and sniffed
softly. <What a waste.>
There was no question of the girl's bravery, only remorse that she
chose to use that courage for a pointless act of revenge. An act that
cost her her life. The last shadow warrior of the Clan of the Cold Moon
was now with her real family. Perhaps, that's the way it was meant to
be.
Akane stirred and stretched.
"I need to visit the girls room," she mumbled standing up. "I'll
be back." She patted Ranma on his shoulder, waking the boy and causing
him to shift his position painfully. Nabiki watched as her younger
sister unsteadily weaved her way down the isle towards the end of the
car.
Nabiki shifted her gaze to young Saotome. Something about last
night bothered her. She had heard all about the judging and their
ordeal. She was especially interested in their reactions to it. Akane
seemed softer, more subdued. Perhaps she was just tired; after
all, she had taken a pretty good beating. Still, there was something
different about her; something Nabiki couldn't quite put her finger on.
"Ranma, I've got to know something." Nabiki said softly. "How much
does Akane mean to you?"
Ranma only slumped over further and shook his head slowly.
"Can't this wait for another time, Nabiki?"
"Ranma, I've got to know. How important *is* Akane to you?"
Their eyes locked and Ranma could see how serious Nabiki was with
the question. This was no time for evasiveness. He took a deep breath
an let it out slowly before answering.
"I... like Akane. I really do." Ranma said looking at his hands in
his lap.
"Then why all the stalling?" Nabiki cocked her head, her face
taking on a harder look.
"Maybe it's because we're both only 16. Okay?" Ranma shot back.
"That's no excuse. I'm 17 and already married." Nabiki growled.
"The least you could do is confirm the engagement."
"Maybe *I* don't have all the money in the world like..." Ranma
matched Nabiki's growl until he got to the part about Jeff. Ranma
swallowed hard. Jeff wasn't such a bad guy. A little soft around the
martial arts edges, maybe, but he always treated Ranma well enough. The
thought of what Jeff had been through was enough to temper Ranma's harsh
evaluation.
Nabiki was stunned by Ranma's remarks. She had totally forgotten
her wealth out of concern for her sister. She had forgotten just how
much a difference such prosperity can make when two people are very
young and in love.
"That doesn't answer the question." Nabiki finally responded,
leaning back and folding her arms.
Akane picked that point to return.
"You guys having a nice talk?" she asked while sitting down.
Ranma glared at Nabiki for several seconds. Without warning, he
turned towards Akane, pulled her to him, and planted a long, lingering
kiss on her lips. Akane's eyes went wide with shock as she first
received the kiss, then melted into contentment as she responded in
kind.
When Ranma broke the kiss, he looked defiantly at Nabiki. No one
was going to tell him who and who he didn't love.
Nabiki just turned back to the window, rested her chin on her hand
and smiled slightly. She got what she wanted.
Akane, smiling contentedly, slumped back against Ranma's shoulder
and closed her eyes. Ranma's arm slid protectively around her
shoulders. It was the perfect end to their adventure; at least, in
Akane's view.

-----*-----

Two weeks later, Jeff was well enough to be sitting up in bed.
Nabiki was sitting on the edge of the bed, patiently feeding him
Kasumi's curry. She was enjoying the feeling of being in control.
Sometimes, she would hold the spoon up to his mouth only to pull it
slowly away, making Jeff lunge for his food.
"You're enjoying this, aren't you?" Jeff remarked between bites.
"Yup. I like being in charge." Nabiki replied with a grin.
"I found *that* out our wedding night." he mumbled loud enough to
be heard.
Dr. Tofu and Ranma stopped their discussion and stared in wide eyed
surprise at Jeff and Nabiki.
Nabiki set her jaw and gave Jeff her strongest look of warning.
Such things were between a husband and wife - only.
"One thing still concerns me, Jeff." Tofu finally noted like a
professor. "You say you don't remember anything after the attack." Jeff
nodded. "Even when you were...well, dead?"
"Look, doc, if you're hoping for a near death experience' or
something, forget it. I don't remember a thing after seeing those
beautiful brown eyes."
Nabiki remembered that night and how she and Sato's granddaughter
examined Jeff just after the attack. When speaking of beautiful eyes,
surely he meant her's.
"Of course that's all I could see because of the mask..."
Nabiki responded by shoving the next spoonful as far back in Jeff's
mouth as she could. He immediately began to choke on the curry.
Frantically, he grabbed for a glass of water that was next to the bed.
Nabiki beat him to it and held it away at arms length. All Jeff could
do is choke and make weak grabs for the glass. Dr. Tofu jumped in and
began pounding on Jeff's back, trying to dislodge whatever was choking
him.
"Nabiki!" Tofu chastised.
"Oh, all right." She handed the glass to Jeff.
"You know, Nabiki, you've been more touchy than usual since you got
back from the cave." Tofu switched to rubbing Jeff's back and applying
pressure points to help clear his throat.
Nabiki just shrugged her shoulders. "Things just seem to set me
off more now. I don't know why."

Moments later, after Jeff recovered, Nabiki resumed her feeding;
more carefully this time. Dr. Tofu and Ranma stood together discussing
the latest news.
"I read that the police have ruled the deaths at the cave as a
fight between members of the Show Fox clan over control of their
business empire." Ranma said with a small smile.
"It's a pity so many had to die," Tofu lamented softly. "Shinobi
wars have never been known for their civility."
Jeff swallowed another spoonful of curry and added: "I hear the
government appointed an interim director for the company until its
assets can be liquidated. Some bargains to be had there." He
contemplated adding some former Snow Fox clan Japanese companies to his
already massive holdings. Nabiki's little smile indicated she, too, was
thinking acquisition.
"Nabs, I'm really getting full now," Jeff waived his arm in front
of his face. Nabiki continued to stir the curry, all the time staring
absently at the bowl. She was busy plotting her own acquisition
strategies.

Akane's knock at the open door drew their attention. She was
carrying a tray of what looked like tiny donuts without the holes.
Ranma reacted like a man who just saw a bomb.
"I felt so good today that I decided to bake something for Jeff-san," she
chirped as she entered the room.
Ranma quickly looked at Jeff, his head a blur trying to warn Jeff
not to eat whatever Akane was offering.
Nabiki continued to stir the curry while looking concerned back and
forth between Jeff and Akane. She was caught on the horns of a dilemma.
On one hand, she didn't want to embarrass or offend her sister in front
of Jeff. On the other hand, she just got Jeff back and didn't feel like
hauling him to the hospital to get his stomach pumped.
Jeff, sensing something was wrong but arriving at exactly the wrong
conclusion, figured he better try some of Akane's cooking least he
offend her. He gingerly plucked one of the baked goods off of the tray
and sniffed at it.
"Hmm, smells good." he commented. This caused Dr. Tofu to take one
as well. Nabiki still looked skeptical and Ranma backed slowly into the
corner of the room.
Jeff bit freely into the light brown treat and began to chew. Tofu
followed suit. Nabiki grimaced and Akane beamed.
"Chewy," Jeff finally concluded.
"Yes, very chewy," Tofu agreed.
"Akane, just what *are* these?" Nabiki finally gave in to her
curiosity and risked the wrath of her younger sister.
"Well," Akane blushed slightly. "They were supposed to be
cookies." Jeff and Tofu suddenly stopped chewing. Ranma covered his
mouth and looked on in horror. "Kasumi bought me some of that cookie
mix that you just cut off into little chunks and bake. Well, I didn't
want to make cookies. I wanted to make muffins."
"So..." Nabiki prompted.
"So, I just cut larger chunks and placed them in a muffin pan."
<That would explain why the middle isn't baked. I'm eating raw
cookie dough.> Jeff thought while trying to smile Akane's way.
"Ah, Akane-chan," Tofu began while looking into his muffin'.
"Just what are these brown things in the middle?"
"Oh, those." Akane blushed again. "I wanted to add raisins but
couldn't find any. So, I just added whatever I could find."
Jeff looked inside his own muffin' and saw something red with a
white lower case m' on it. With a mental sigh, he thought: <Well, it
could have been worse considering all the things she *could* have put in
here.>
"Do you *really* like them?" Akane asked anxiously.
Jeff and Tofu exchanged nervous glances.
"Absolutely,"
"Without a doubt,"
Akane squealed with joy. "Finally, I've baked something everyone
likes! I've got to tell Kasumi." Akane quickly disappeared, only the
sounds of her running feet heading downstairs to indicate her passing.
For several seconds, the only sounds in the room were two intrepid
muffin' tasters chewing...and chewing...and chewing...
Finally, figuring they had suffered enough, Nabiki took pity on
them and reached behind her. Grabbing her little trash can, she held it
out. The sounds of two muffins' impacting the bottom of the trash can
signaled the end of Akane's baking experiment for the day.
"Ranma," Tofu began while trying to pry a section of Akane's bake
goods from between his teeth. "Remind me to give you some herbs I have
down at the clinic. They won't make her cooking taste any better but
they'll blunt some of its toxicity."
Ranma just blinked and sighed in relief. He avoided having to
sample Akane's cooking or offending her at the same time. This had all
the makings of a good day.

"So, what are you going to do with Sodoshi's amulet, Nabs?" Jeff
tried to change the subject.
Nabiki just shrugged and pulled the blood stained trinket from the
pocket of her slacks.
"Beats me," she mused. "She told me to give it to my child."
"Your what?" Jeff blinked.
"That's what *I* thought when she said it." Nabiki snorted as she
shook her head. "*I'm* never going to have a kid. I hate kids."
Jeff's mind wandered back to Hawaii and the honeymoon. Something
in what Nabiki just said was nagging at him. He closed his eyes and
relived the wedding night scene in his mind, with predictable results.
When he got to the part where they... His eyes sprung open, he sat bolt
upright and swallowed hard. His reaction was broad enough to be noticed
by everyone in the room.
"What's the matter, Jeff?" Nabiki looked at her husband with
concern.
"Yes, are you alright?" Tofu approached apprehensively. He feared
Jeff was suffering a relapse of the blow that almost killed him.
"No... no, I'm fine." Jeff waived his hand slightly. "It's just
something Nabiki said."
Nabiki crossed her arms and looked at her husband out of the
corners of her eyes; the kind of look she usually gave him when
challenging him to continue.
"You remember our honeymoon?" he began.
"Yes..."
"You remember all the..." Jeff rolled his hand like he was
prompting Nabiki. "The... you know." He glanced nervously at Ranma and
Tofu.
"Yes..."
"Well...." Jeff swallowed hard before continuing. "We weren't very
careful."
"Is *that* all you're worried about?" Nabiki looked relieved.
"Well, sure. I mean, that *is* how babies get made." Jeff pressed
his point. Tofu seemed to lean closer as he figured out just where this
conversation was going. Ranma looked like someone who preferred to be
somewhere else.
"I have to think of everything, don't I." Nabiki flapped her arms
and rolled her eyes. "Oh, all right. I've been taking those pills'."
"Pills?" Tofu asked pointedly.
"Yeah, you know, the ones so you don't get pregnant." Nabiki looked
embarrassed that she had to explain this to anyone.
"Where did you get these pills', Nabiki. They're illegal in
Japan, you know." Tofu was speaking seriously and clinically now.
Nabiki looked embarrassed, glancing between Jeff and Tofu.
"I got them from a doctor in Hawaii. OK?"
"Did he tell you all about them; the dangers, the dosage and all?"
Nabiki just waived her hand at Tofu and looked disgusted.
"He was speaking in English and talked really fast." she said with
a blush. "I didn't want to look stupid so I just... nodded to
everything he said. Really, you guys, it's not all that difficult. All
I have to do is take one each morning."
Jeff and Tofu exchanged worried glances. Outside of the side
effects problems the Japanese government had determined were unsafe for
their female population, there was a specific procedure to taking these
pills that had to be followed precisely to be effective.
"Ah, Nabs. Just when *did* you start taking these pills?" Jeff
cocked his head.
Nabiki disgustedly picked up the curry bowl and started for the
door. "Don't worry, Jeffrey. I started taking them the morning we got
married. Honestly, if I had to depend on you, I'd already be pregnant.
Now, if you're through with the interrogation and the curry, I'll take
the bowl down to be washed." With that, she disappeared down the hall.
Jeff and Tofu looked at each other and rolled their eyes in unison.
"You know what this means." Tofu asked with a knowing smile.
"What? What? What does it mean?" Ranma anxiously asked. He had
overheard the whole thing and was getting the education of his life.
"Doc, do you know a good obstetrician?" Jeff rested his cheek on
his fist. "I've got the feeling we're going to need one."