[Ranma][Fanfic] Daigakusei no Ranma - Episode 20

Ranma Saotome

Oct 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/5/96

These walls I live inside
Protect me from hatred and lies
And these walls have made me strong
But it's not where I belong

I hear you knocking but can't let you in
I don't know how it's gonna end
But these walls, they set me free
Kept me safe and sheltered me

Here's where the road begins
Got to reach out if I'm gonna win
Gotta know how - I'm old enough now
Never gonna feel this way again

No, I'm never gonna hide behind these walls again

+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
| Daigakusei no Ranma |
| |
| Created by David Tai and Paul Gallegos |
| |
| Based on the characters created by Rumiko Takahashi |
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

-= Episode 20: "Sudden Shock! Ranma's Mysterious Partner!" =-

[Early Tuesday morning, the sound of birds chirping competes with the gentle
rustle of summer leaves in the wind. The sun has just crested the horizon as
the view pans across the rooftops of the city, to the college in the distance,
and finally to the window of Room 4, Maison Sabaku. Akane sits at a low table,
staring into space. Ranma-chan is asleep on the futon.]

Akane: [quietly to herself] Dammit, Ranma.

[The alarm clock near the futon flips to "7:30" and begins to buzz. Akane
looks over at Ranma-chan.]

Akane: I swear, he'd sleep through the end of the world.

[She shuts off the alarm and leaves for a moment, returning with a glass of
water. She pauses for a moment to see if Ranma-chan has awakened; Ranma-chan
only rolls over on the bed, still snoring away.]

Akane: [loudly] If you don't get up right now, you're going to regret it!

[She pauses, but Ranma-chan's only response is a loud snore. Akane smirks, then
pours the water on Ranma-chan's head.]

Akane: That's for last night.

[Ranma-chan sits up quickly.]

Ranma-chan: [sleepily] Hey! Why'd you do that!?

Akane: [peeved] Time to get up! [walks into kitchen]

Ranma-chan: [calling after her] You could at least use warm water next time!

[Ranma-chan gets up, grabs a towel, and stalks off to the bathroom. After a
while, she returns dressed in her usual Chinese red-and-black clothing.]

Akane: Why didn't you bathe?

Ranma-chan: I did. The hot water's not working. I guess the heater's broken.
[starts collecting books]

Akane: [sarcastically] Such a pity... go eat your breakfast.

[Ranma-chan watches as Akane walks into the kitchen.]

Ranma-chan: [to herself] She's still mad? [pauses to think]

[Flashback to Monday night at the festival. The night sky is lit
only by the fireworks going off. The silhouettes of several people
can be seen sitting outside on a hill in the park. After a few
minutes of watching the display, one of the characters puts an arm
around the one next to it.]

Ranma's voice: [softly] Look, Akane...

Ranma-chan: [loudly] Oi! Are you still mad about that fireworks thing?

[No response from Akane. Ranma-chan walks into the kitchen. Akane smiles
curtly with narrowed eyes as she plops a plate of burnt food on the table.]

Akane: Your breakfast.

* * *

[At the Mizunoikan campus, the bell rings and students scurry into their
classes. Ranma calmly takes a seat at the back of class and fetches a notebook
from his bag. The professor begins to write several literary quotes on the
board as a couple of stragglers try to quietly enter the classroom, one of
which takes the seat next to Ranma. Ranma looks briefly at the girl who has
just sat down next to him, then stretches out in his desk.]

Ranma: [to himself] Sometimes I really hate this class... [stifles yawn]
10:00 a.m... [sighs]

Professor: Today I'm assigning your workshop projects. Each person will be
assigned a partner, and your projects will be due in my office on
Friday morning at 11:00. If you have any questions, please see me
after class.

Ranma: [sighs] Not like I don't have ENOUGH to do already...

[Students raise their hands as their names are called, making eye contact with
their respective partners. Ranma doodles in his notebook.]

Professor: Saotome Ranma...

[Ranma looks up, then casually raises his hand.]

Professor: ... is paired with Mizuta Hiroe.

[The girl sitting to Ranma's left looks to him and smiles shyly.]

Ranma: [looks back] Mizuta Hiroe?

Girl: [cautiously] Hai. [straining slightly but smiling] Saotome...

Ranma: Saotome Ranma.

[Ranma takes a closer look this time at Hiroe than he did when she first walked
in. As the only girl sitting in the back of the class, she inadvertently draws
the wayward attention of all the male students around her. Even if the lecture
gets better, it's no match for her beautiful, shy brown eyes and short auburn
hair. Her classmates hook and crane their necks as subtly as possible for a
momentary glance at her soft, delicate features.]

Ranma: [nonchalantly] Are you a freshman here? I haven't seen you in any of my
other classes...

Hiroe: No, I'm a transfer student from Noumunoikan University... I'm a
sophomore.

Ranma: [blinks] Noumunoikan? Really? My... er... wife's older sister goes
there!

Hiroe: [pauses and nods] Really. That's nice... [pauses again] Hey, are you
doing anything for lunch? We should get together and outline what we'll
do for our project.

Ranma: Sure, if you don't mind eating outside. This class is killin' me.

Professor: [resuming the lecture] OK, that's everyone. I will remind you that
late papers will be penalized by one mark for every 30 minutes past
11:00 A.M. Friday morning.

[Groans can be heard around the room. Ranma and Hiroe quietly negotiate when
and where they'll meet, while Hiroe writes in her schedule book.]

* * *

[Later that afternoon. Ranma sits in the shade of a large oak tree, scribbling
randomly on the inside cover of a notebook. Hiroe walks up and playfully kicks
the sole of his shoe with her toe to get his attention.]

Hiroe: Hey! [smiling] Are you ready to work?

Ranma: [looks up] Huh? Yeah, of course.

[The wind blows gently through the leaves creating everchanging patterns
in sunlight and shade on the grass. Ranma and Hiroe talk animatedly.]

Ranma: Well, I'm glad you brought some ideas with you. I couldn't think of a
thing. You really like this stuff don't you?

Hiroe: Sometimes. What I really like to do is write. Mostly stories and
poetry... anything that helps me express my feelings, you know?
To sort things out.

Ranma: Sort things out? You seem to be pretty much in control.

Hiroe: Oh, please. Everyone's got something that keeps them up at night.

Ranma: Not me. [laughs] I sleep like a rock.

Hiroe: [smiles] You know what I mean.

[Hiroe yawns, rubs her eyes and straightens her shirt. Ranma follows her hand
to her sleeve, his attention focused on her arm. He looks pensive for a
moment.]

Hiroe: [head tilted slightly to the side, eyebrows raised.] What?

Ranma: Nothing. [shakes his head] How's your arm?

Hiroe: [smile disappears] Huh?

Ranma: You hurt your arm. How is it?

Hiroe: [confused, a little defensive] It's fine. How'd you know I hurt my arm?

Ranma: I study kenpo. I can sense an injury.

[The two look at each other for a long moment.]

Hiroe: [no longer smiling] Hey, I gotta go. I've gotta meet some friends at
three.

Ranma: No problem. Um, are we going to work on this tonight?

Hiroe: Tonight's kinda bad; tomorrow would be better. We can meet at my
apartment and work there. [gets up]

Ranma: Sounds good.

Hiroe: OK, see you then.

[Hiroe walks across the grass to the sidewalk and proceeds out of the park.]

Ranma: [to himself] That was weird.

[Ranma puts his books into a bag, stands, and slings it over his shoulder. He
notices a man across the sidewalk, ten yards away, hiding behind some bushes.
The man watches Ranma intently; Ranma pretends not to notice him. Hiroe is just
leaving the park, and the man steals off after her. Ranma turns and follows the
mysterious man. He notices the man is wearing a business suit and nice shoes
which have accumulated mud. Hiroe walks quickly and looks perturbed. Her pace
quickens, and she ducks into a public bathroom. Standing before the mirror, she
looks at herself intently. She pulls her sleeves lower, but they return to
their original position, just above her elbow.]

Hiroe: [to herself, incredulously] No way!

[She lifts her sleeves to reveal deep purple bruises on the inside and outside
of her upper arms. She massages them tenderly. Two women enter the bathroom
talking excitedly. Hiroe quickly lowers her sleeves and primps in the mirror
before exiting. She emerges from the bathroom and continues across the street
where she is greeted by three female friends. They walk past shops, get some
ice-cream from a vendor, and return to the park. The mysterious man clumsily
pursues Hiroe, finally taking refuge behind a hedge where he watches her
chatting with her friends on the grass. Ranma stops and sits on a park bench
some distance away. A policeman eyes the man suspiciously.]

Ranma: [to himself] Man, this guy's careless...

[A student walks up and sits down on the bench next to Ranma. He's dressed
casually: smart, but not uptight.]

Student: [looking at Hiroe] She's quite lovely, isn't she?

Ranma: [startled] Huh? Who?

Student: In the white shirt. Her name's Hiroe. I noticed you've been watching
her.

Ranma: [annoyed] It's not what you think.

Student: You're wasting your time. She's already got a boyfriend.

Ranma: I'm not interested in her in THAT way. [turns to look at the student]
I'm married anyway.

Student: [looks suspiciously at Ranma] Oh really...

[A silence descends upon them as they watch Hiroe. The man who was hiding has
disappeared.]

Ranma: So would that "boyfriend" be you?

Student: No such luck. She's in love with another guy, at least she thinks she
is. The sad part is that he treats her pretty badly.

Ranma: [feigning disinterest] Oh, and how's that?

Student: He's overprotective, doesn't trust her...

Ranma: Not much of a boyfriend. So what does that make you?

Student: Me? I'm sorry. I'm Yoshiba Izumi. I've known Hiroe since we were kids.

Ranma: Saotome Ranma. I'm working on a project with her.

Izumi: So, do you usually follow your classmates around? Or is it just the
pretty ones?

Ranma: [smirks] It seemed the trendy thing to do... Seeing how that makes
three of us.

Izumi: Three? [laughs] I wondered if you noticed me following you. [pauses]
Hiroe's had a hard life; I just don't want her to get tangled up in
anything else. Maybe I'm a little overprotective of her, too. [grins]

Ranma: So was that him? Why does she put up with it?

Izumi: [plainly] I guess you could say she's just used to it.

Ranma: Used to what?

Izumi: Always being the victim.

[A platoon of kids on a field trip follow their teacher through the park. In
their yellow hats, they resemble a chain of ducklings. One boy trips up and
falls, making his classmates cheer and laugh. Hiroe's friends watch the kids
go by and lavish them with endearing comments.]

Hiroe: Kawaii! I want a kid so bad!

Friend: Oh, I know. They are so cute!

[Izumi stands up to leave.]

Izumi: Well, I've got to get to work. The kids never wait.

Ranma: You work at a day-care?

Izumi: Nope. I volunteer time at the child abuse crisis center near
Noumunoikan.

Ranma: [momentarily stunned] That's nice of you.

Izumi: [shakes his head] Not particularly. Hiroe and I owe them a lot.
[over his shoulder] See you around.

[Izumi departs, leaving Ranma alone with his thoughts on the park bench.]

* * *

[That evening, Ranma and Ukyou sit quietly on the futon with several books
and notes spread out around them. Akane watches out of the corner of her eye,
somewhat amused and slightly disappointed.]

Ukyou: Thanks again for letting me come over and study.

Ranma: No problem. I take it Makiko volunteered to babysit tonight?

Ukyou: Nope. It was actually her turn to do it. [grins] I hope she can keep
up with THAT girl though...

[Ukyou looks over at Akane.]

Ukyou: Akane?

Akane: [slightly irritated] Hai.

Ukyou: I also wanted to thank you for dinner. It was... interesting.

[Ranma makes a face. Akane ignores him.]

Akane: You're welcome, Ukyou. [turns back to her studying]

Ranma: Akane?

Akane: [sighs audibly] Now what?

Ranma: Don't get defensive! [pauses] I was just going to ask if you knew
Mizuta Hiroe.

Akane: [taps pencil thoughtfully] Hmm... I think so... she may be in one of
my classes. Why?

Ranma: Well, because my Literature professor assigned projects today and she's
my partner.

Akane: Oh! [sarcastically] Do you plan on taking _her_ to the next festival?

Ranma: Oh, come on! You _know_ I didn't mean that!

Akane: I'll bet! Like that time you were "helping" Hitomi move too?

Ukyou: You're blowing this WAY out of proportion, Akane.

Akane: [to Ukyou] Who asked you?

Ranma: Hey! Wait just a minute! What is your problem? I made one little
mistake, and you can't let it go!

Akane: [yelling] Well, maybe if you weren't such an insensitive jerk, I'd
believe you!

Ranma: [stands up] I give up! I'm going for a walk!

[Ranma grabs his keys and walks out the door, slamming it behind him. Both
Akane and Ukyou watch the door for a moment, then look at each other.]

Akane: What're _you_ staring at?

Ukyou: Nothing. Nothing at all. [turns attention back to homework]

Akane: [pauses] Well then... fine.

Ukyou: [quietly] And if you didn't jump so quickly to conclusions, you'd
understand.

Akane: What was that?? [turns to face Ukyou]

Ukyou: You heard me. Didn't you listen to ANYTHING Makiko and Hitomi said last
night? Ranma didn't put his arm around Hitomi at the festival on
purpose. [slams pencil onto notebook] He didn't even know it WAS Hitomi!
He just forgot that you weren't next to him! He even pointed out some
fireworks and said "Hey, Akane! Look!" [pauses] But you're just too
close-minded to see the whole picture. All you see is him putting his
arm around someone else.

[Ukyou gathers her books together and stands up.]

Ukyou: You know, I think it's funny that you get upset about Ranma putting his
arm around someone else, when you can't even bring yourself to let him
sleep here at night as a MALE. Maybe, just maybe, if you trusted him you
two would get along a lot better. [opens door] Then again, that may be
just too much to ask of you, Akane.

[Ukyou closes the door behind herself, leaving Akane to stare in wonder.]

* * *

[Wednesday morning. Akane sits down as the bell rings, and the lecturer begins
to pass out papers.]

Lecturer: These are your graded quizzes from last week. Please come get your
quiz as I call out your name. Yamaguchi Shigenori...

Akane: [thinking] The nerve she had of telling me off in my own home...
I should've slapped her for that! [pauses, still thinking] But is she
right? Ranma wouldn't cheat on me, would he? No... he wouldn't dare!
But... it's not like he doesn't have the opportunities...

Lecturer: ... Saotome Akane...

[Akane blinks, then stands up and walks to the front of the room.]

Lecturer: ... Mizuta Hiroe...

[Hiroe, seated in the very last row, stands up and walks forward. Akane passes
her on the way back to her seat, watching Hiroe cautiously.]

Akane: [thinking] Is that the girl Ranma's partnered with? Hmm...

[Akane sits down, then watches Hiroe return to her own seat in the back of the
room. Akane faces the blackboard again and stares thoughtfully at her desk.]

* * *

[Wednesday afternoon. Ranma, Makiko, Akane, Junko, and Shirow are eating lunch
under their usual tree. Ukyou is conspicuously absent.]

Ranma: [in between chewing] ... so I think that Mizuta-san is pretty cool.
We'll probably have this project done before tomorrow. She's supposed to
meet me here in a bit to give me directions or whatever to her place so
we can work on it.

Makiko: [looking at Akane] Um... you're going to Mizuta-san's apartment.

[Akane calmly sips her drink while Ranma smiles.]

Ranma: Of course. How else will we get this done?

Makiko: Oh... well, it's just that... well...

Ranma: Hey, it's just a project. No big deal.

Junko: Hey Akane, have you met this Hiroe girl yet?

Akane: [shakes head] No, but she's in my 11:00 A.M. lecture.

[Shirow sips his drink, then nods toward the person approaching the group.]

Shirow: [swallows] Ranma-kun, is that Mizuta-san?

Ranma: [looks up] Yup, that's her. [smiles, to Hiroe] Konnichiwa, Mizuta-san!

Hiroe: Konnichiwa. I was on my way home and I remembered I needed to give you
directions. [pauses] Are you sure you have time tonight? [questioning
look]

Ranma: [grins] Hai. [gestures to The Gang] Mizuta-san, these are my friends,
Kawamura Makiko [Makiko nods], Shimada Junko [Junko smiles] and
Shirow ... [is drowned out by passing plane]. And this is my wife,
Saotome Akane. [Akane looks up and nods]

Akane: Konnichiwa. You're in my 11:00 A.M. lecture, ne?

Hiroe: [nods] Hai.

Akane: Sou... [remembers] "if you trusted him you two would get along a lot
better..." [out loud] Well, it's nice to finally meet you. [looks at
Ranma, then continues eating]

Ranma: [glances at Akane, then back to Hiroe] Can you stay a bit, Mizuta-san?

Hiroe: Gomen... I really can't. I've got some stuff that I need to take care of
before tonight. [pauses, rummaging through purse] I wrote the directions
to my apartment down for you. [hands piece of paper to Ranma] Come by
about 6:00 P.M. ok? We can get some more work done then.

Ranma: [nods] 6:00 P.M. I'll be there.

Hiroe: [smiles and bows] It was nice meeting you all.

[Hiroe walks off while the others stare first at Akane, then at Ranma. Akane
merely continues eating, while Ranma shifts uncomfortably.]

Ranma: [looks at everyone] Nani?

Makiko: [giggles] ANYWAY... I think we need to go dancing tomorrow night! We
haven't been in a while!

Akane: [slowly] I don't know...

Shirow: Oh, come on! You and Ranma were GREAT on the dance floor...

Ranma: [to Akane] We _were_ pretty good, weren't we? *oof*

[Ranma gets elbowed by Makiko.]

Makiko: [wickedly grinning] Don't let your ego get carried away there!

Junko: What do you say, Akane?

Akane: Well... [pauses] Ranma, do you want to go?

Ranma: [scratches head] Hmm. I'd like to, but I don't know if I'll have this
project finished by tomorrow. [sighs] I guess we probably shouldn't,
just to be safe.

Akane: [nods] Besides, I've got to finish studying Act II from "Cat on a Hot
Tin Roof"...

[Everyone blinks.]

Akane: Don't tell me you've never heard of it!

Makiko: Oh! It must be the sequel to "Cats"!! [smiles brightly]

[Akane face-faults.]

* * *

[Hiroe's apartment, later that evening. Ranma and Hiroe are diligently working
on their project; Ranma takes notes from several open magazines spread out on
the floor in front of him, while Hiroe enters the notes into her computer.]

Ranma: [stacking magazines] That should do it. [hands Hiroe papers] I think we
have enough sources and information now to finish this off.

Hiroe: [grins] Great! [looks over notes] I can probably finish typing this by
tomorrow.

Ranma: [leans back] Good. I was getting tired of doing research anyway...

[Just then, the door to the apartment opens. A young man fumbles papers around
trying to remove his shoes. Ranma notices that the man's shoes are caked with
mud.]

Young man: Tadaima!

Hiroe: Ah, Kenji! Okaeri!

[Hiroe gets up to help Kenji as he smiles and allows the remaining documents to
fall to the floor.]

Hiroe: [smiling] Tough day?

Kenji: [rolls eyes] The worst.

Hiroe: Oh, Kenji, this is Saotome-kun from Literature class. We've been
assigned to a joint project. Saotome-kun, this is my boyfriend, Kenji.

Kenji: Urushibara Kenji. Pleased to meet you. [bows] I hope Hiroe isn't making
this project difficult for you.

[Ranma immediately recognises Kenji as the man following Hiroe the day before.]

Ranma: Uh, no... actually she's carrying most of the weight. [bows] Saotome
Ranma. It's a pleasure.

Hiroe: [to Kenji] You usually don't bring this much work home. New project?

Kenji: Yeah, there's been so much paperwork the last couple of days, I haven't
even had time to eat lunch.

Ranma: [thinks] Or follow you around campus...

[Ranma turns his attention back to the project at hand, and he and Hiroe
continue to work for about an hour or so before calling it quits.]

Ranma: Well, Mizuta-san, I'll see you tomorrow in class, ne? [to Kenji]
Nice meeting you.

Hiroe: [opening door for Ranma] See you tomorrow!

[Ranma steps onto the landing and Hiroe closes the door. On the way downstairs,
Ranma is momentarily caught in an upwards deluge of children followed by a
tired motherly figure carrying a large bag of groceries.]

* * *

[Next morning at Maison Sabaku. Ranma finishes getting dressed and exits the
bathroom, almost running into Akane as he does so.]

Akane: [sleepily] Hmph! Watch it!

Ranma: Gomen... listen, Ukyou's coming over tonight to study with me... just
to let you know.

Akane: [staring at floor] ...

Ranma: [pauses] I'd go over there, but Makiko is babysitting tonight.

Akane: [waves hand] Fine. Whatever. I'll make dinner again. [closes door after
herself]

Ranma: [staring at door] ...

* * *

[Next morning in class. Ranma stares worriedly at Hiroe's empty chair as the
professor drones on.]

Professor: As a reminder, your projects are due in my office tomorrow before
noon. Late projects will be penalized one letter grade for every
30 minutes they are late.

[Both giggles and groans can be heard around the room.]

Ranma: [thinking] Man, where _is_ she? I don't want to fail this project...
[flash to Hiroe's bruised arms] She better be ok...

[Taking one last look at Hiroe's empty chair, he turns back toward the front
of the room. Halfway through class, he notices the door open slightly and a
figure peeking in. After a while, the door closes again. Ranma frowns, then
then leans back in his chair, keeping a watchful eye on the door for the
remainder of the lecture. After class, he heads toward Maison Sabaku. Halfway
there, however, he rounds the corner of a building and sees Hiroe and Izumi
having a heated discussion. He quickly hides behind the building again to
eavesdrop on the conversation.]

Hiroe: Please don't do this! He's the only thing I have left in my life. If you
take him away from me, I have nothing!

Izumi: But it's wrong! It's all wrong! You should be with me, not him!

Hiroe: The way you talk about him! You don't know him, and you can't understand
how much I love him. Don't take him away from me!

[A long silence passes. Izumi's face is flushed bright red.]

Hiroe: I'm begging you. Don't call the police. Please. No one has to know.

[Izumi shakes his head slowly with his eyes closed.]

Izumi: [slowly] I can't do that.

[At this, Hiroe bursts into tears.]

Hiroe: [sobs] Please... just stop!

[Izumi puts his hands on her shoulders, and Hiroe flinches in pain. Shocked,
Izumi immediately unhands her. Hiroe crouches with her hands carefully crossed,
cradling her arms, and continues to cry. Her teardrops evaporate from the
concrete sidewalk as fast as they fall.]

Izumi: That would never have happened if you were with me all along.

Hiroe: [looks up] Please, Izumi. Give up on me.

[Ranma slowly backs away from the building and heads off in the other
direction.]

Ranma: [thinking] That yaro Urushibara and I are gonna have to have a little
talk tonight.

* * *

[Maison Sabaku. Ukyou sits on the floor, flipping through a textbook and
writing in her notebook, while Ranma stares mindlessly at the TV through the
commercials. Akane sits at her desk reading through a small pamphlet. She puts
the pamphlet down and watches Ranma and Ukyou for a while, then walks over to
the futon and sits down next to him.]

Akane: Nice to know you've got so much time now that your project's done.

Ranma: Actually, it's not.

Akane: Then what are you doing watching TV?

[Ukyou looks up.]

Ranma: What's it look like? I'm thinking.

Akane: Well, don't strain yourself.

Ranma: It's about Mizuta-san...

Akane: [eyes narrow] Oh... [starts to get up]

Ranma: [staring at TV] Her boyfriend beats her.

[Akane freezes, then sits slowly back down on the futon.]

Ranma: [pauses] She defends this guy like he's her salvation and... I mean you
should see the bruises on her arms. [sighs] Then there's this other guy
who wants to call the police into it. He and Hiroe were having it out on
campus. You should've seen the people making wide circles to avoid them.

Akane: Well, I don't know if we should interfere in their personal life...

Ukyou: [softly] Funny, I wouldn't have expected to hear THAT from you...

Akane: [turns to Ukyou] What did you say?

Ukyou: [louder] I said, I wouldn't have expected to hear THAT from you...

Akane: [blinks] ...

Ukyou: Why _don't_ you say something? [pauses] You can't, can you? You can't
because you're just as bad as Mizuta-san's boyfriend!

[Akane narrows her eyes.]

Ranma: [blinks] Nani?

Ukyou: There's no difference between Kenji beating up on Hiroe and you beating
up on Ranma.

Akane: [angrily] Who are you to talk? You don't know what's going on! It's
different with us! Ranma can defend himself, Mizuta-san can't!

Ukyou: So what's your point? Are you saying that it's ok for women to beat up
on men but not the other way around? [pauses] Or are you saying that
men deserve it?

Akane: ...

Ukyou: Maybe, just maybe, you ought to look at your own relationship with
Ran-chan before you say anything. Just because he can defend himself
doesn't mean he deserves it.

[Akane gets up and stalks off into the bathroom, slamming the door behind her.]

Ranma: [blinks] Ucchan...

Ukyou: [gets up hastily] Oyasumi, Ran-chan. [leaves]

[Ranma stares at the door that Ukyou has just left by, then looks at the TV
again blankly. After a few minutes, he picks up the phone and dials Hiroe's
number but gets a busy signal. Putting the phone down, he lies back on the
futon and stares at the ceiling.]

Ranma: [thinking] Maybe I _should_ talk to her about it... but it's not really
my business... but what if Hiroe gets hurt more?... [sighs inwardly] If
I _don't_ do something, I'm going to regret it...

[Ranma sits up and picks up the phone again, redialing Hiroe's apartment.
Getting a busy signal again, he sets down the phone and reaches for his shoes.]

* * *

[Evening. Ranma rounds the corner, headed for Hiroe's apartment. As he reaches
the landing, he hears the sounds of a loud argument coming from the window of
the apartment. Ranma sneaks up to the window.]

Ranma: [out loud] If he hits her, I'm gonna kill him...

[He peeks in through the open window and sees Hiroe and Kenji glaring at each
other, both standing inches apart.]

Hiroe: [yelling] Where do you THINK I was? I was at school!

Kenji: [yelling] No you weren't! I was there!

Hiroe: [yelling] What!?

Kenji: [yelling] You weren't at any of your morning classes! I checked!

Hiroe: [yelling] "Checked!?" [furious] What do you mean "checked?" And who's
business is it if I skip a class or not?!

Kenji: [yelling] Hey, I can come see you if I want, can't I?! Do you have a
problem with that?!

Hiroe: [yelling] That's not the point!

Kenji: [yelling] Well, what is the point?!

Hiroe: [yelling] I just want my own space, ok? And I don't need you or anybody
else following me around, got it?!

[Hiroe gives Kenji the most evil glare she can, causing even Ranma to wince.
The two fume at each other for a long moment, then...]

Kenji: [slowly and calmly] I was looking for you to tell you I got the raise
and I'm sorry I've been working so late, and I... And I wanted to take
you to lunch 'cus I moved my schedule around just for today, and I
couldn't find a parking space anywhere, and then I couldn't find you...
so I got mad.

[Hiroe blinks, a hint of shock crossing her face, her mouth slightly open.]

Hiroe: Oh Kenji... Kenji, I am _so_ sorry. I was with a friend. [pauses, then
realises] You got the raise?? You did it? [hugs Kenji] You did it!

Kenji: [still slightly sore] Yeah well, I bought some chocolate ice cream to
celebrate, but...

Hiroe: [excited] But what? Let's celebrate!!

Kenji: [glimmer of a sneer] But it melted in the car while I was looking for
you... [sticks tongue out at Hiroe]

Hiroe: [blinks] Baaaka!

Kenji: [teasing laugh] It's pooled up here and there on the passenger-side, so
you can have some tomorrow before I go to work. [laughs out loud]

Hiroe: [pokes Kenji] I don't think so.

[Hiroe starts to giggle, then laugh. Soon they are in a tight embrace.]

Ranma: [blinks] ...

to be continued...

There's word on the street again
The rumours come flyin'
She's up to her old ways again
And another one is cryin'

No-one understands
She's a dif'rent person now
No-one lends a hand
To listen to her now

Days going by, hopelessness in your heart
Never look back, never break apart

Somebody loves you
Now and forever
And you're not alone now
If only you'll remember
That somebody loves you
Waiting patiently
Somebody loves you
Look and you will see
Somebody loves you ...
(Somebody)
Somebody like me.

Credits :

Writers..............: David Tai
Paul Gallegos
John Walter Biles
Jeffrey Paul Hosmer

Story Artist.........: Anastasia Moreno
Jong Man Hwang

DnR Outsider's FAQ...: Jon K. Hayashi

Special Thanks to....: Robert DeLoura
Tanya Mundy
J.

The Tucson Animation Screening Society (TASS)

And of course Rumiko Takahashi

| Copyright (c) 1996 Digital Knight Communications |
| "Ranma 1/2" and its characters Copyright (c) 1996 |
| Viz Communications, Inc., Shogakukan, Kitty Animation |
| and Rumiko Takahashi |