[Ranma][FanFic] Daigakusei no Ranma - Episode 30

Saotome Ranma

Jul 26, 2001, 1:28:23 PM7/26/01
Worlds will turn and blur the lines
Melodies have gone
The sands are shifting, shifting time
And carry us along

I close my eyes and dream at night
Pictures moving still
The sounds of silence are clear tonight
Memories of will

Looking back at where I've gone
There's nothing I can see
I have crossed a line through space and time
And maybe it's just me

Daigakusei no Ranma

Created by David Tai and Paul Gallegos

Based on the characters created by Rumiko Takahashi
Episode 30: "Lover Come Back! Lovers We Are Not!"

[Early morning. Hitomi and Sato sit on the roof watching the sunrise.
Sato has his arm around Hitomi as she curls up with him. The two are
both wrapped up in a heavy blanket.]

Hitomi: Mmm. I didn't know how much I missed this.

Sato: Me neither. Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

Hitomi: [sighs] How about you lay off the spiritualist bit for a while, ok?

Sato: [grins] Ok. [pauses] You know, I forgot to ask, how'd that baseball
game go? Did you win?

Hitomi: Yeah, we won, more by accident than anything else.

Sato: Oh? How so?

Hitomi: Long story short, we were up two runs and the sprinklers kicked in.

Sato: Sprinklers...? [begins to sweat]

Hitomi: Yeah, and then a strange thing happened... Ranma turned into a girl.

Sato: [coughs] You don't say.

Hitomi: [looks at Sato strangely] But that wasn't all, the weird girl from
that bar turned into a cat, and her bartender turned into a duck.

Sato: Well... er, that's very interesting.

Yutaga: BWAHAHAHAHA! [appears behind the two]

Sato: ...

[Hitomi gives Sato a long, hard look.]

Hitomi: You already knew, didn't you.

Sato: Well, you see...

Hitomi: You did! [lightly punches Sato on the arm] Why didn't you tell me?

Sato: But, Hitomi-chan...

Hitomi: These are our friends we're talking about! I think the least you
could've done is warned me.

Yutaga: He couldn't. Unless he wanted to get punished some more by the
goddess... [mumbles] Personally, I think he likes the punishment.

Sato: ... [turns red] Yutaga, can't you for once just be quiet?

Hitomi: [to Yutaga] When do you two part ways again?

Yutaga: When he makes up for his latest bout of interfering, then I'm free
of him.

Hitomi: Funny, I'd see it as the other way 'round.

Sato: YUTAGA!

Yutaga: Alright already. Shutting up. [disappears]

Sato: [sighs] Anyway, he is right. I was not allowed to tell anyone about
the Saotomes' predicament. Gomen, but that included you.

Hitomi: Hmph. Well, I don't like it. I wonder what else you're not
telling me.

Sato: ...

[A barely perceptible trapdoor over Choji's room slides open slightly, and
a small fiber optic camera peeks out. At the same time, Hitomi stands up,
letting the blanket fall away.]

Hitomi: I think I'm going to go to bed. I should get some sleep.

Sato: Hitomi-chan...

Hitomi: Good night, Ichiro.

[Hitomi walks over to the ladder propped against the side of the building
and leans over, giving the camera an eyeful. In Choji's apartment, Choji
watches the monitor closely, salivating as the camera focuses in on Hitomi's
shirt. To either side of the monitor are speakers that continue to carry the
conversation between Hitomi and Sato. As Choji watches Hitomi's cleavage dip
lower, the camera goes inexplicably dark. Immediately, Choji tries several
different switches, buttons, and dials, to no effect.]

Choji: ARGH! No way!

Yutaga's voice: [through speakers] And just what are we doing? A little
voyeurism, perhaps?

Choji: [freezes with hand on switch] Huh? W- who is that?

Yutaga's voice: [menacing] I'm the manifestation of your dark side. I have
come to you through your video screen.

Choji: [stammering] U- u- u- uso!!

[Choji frantically pulls the plug on all the equipment and the room goes
silent. For the next few moments, the only thing that can be heard is
Choji's frantic breathing. Then...]

Yutaga's voice: Good boy. Veeeeeery good.

Choji: AAAAAAA!!!!!!!

[Outside, Sato sits alone on the roof. Choji's scream causes several windows
throughout the neigbourhood to open.]

Sato: [blinks] Yutaga?

Yutaga: [appears] What's up, boss?

Sato: [sighs] What happened with Choji?

Yutaga: [shrugs] How should I know? You want me to find out?

Sato: [chuckles] Gomen. It just seemed like something you'd do.

Yutaga: Well, now that you mention it... it does seem like something I'd do,
doesn't it?

Sato: [gets up] Well, I need to get to the temple. Morning prayers are in
an hour.

Yutaga: [sighs] I don't suppose you would mind putting in a small prayer to
Kuan Yin today would you?

Sato: We'll see. [climbs down ladder]

Yutaga: [to himself] Kuan Yin, I hope you're watching. Doing good deeds
gives me a headache - and it's ruining my rep...

* * *

[Later that morning. Ranma gets up and walks into the bathroom yawning. He
rinses his face and begins to brush his teeth. A few moments later, Akane
walks in, wearing the top to Ranma's pajamas.]

Ranma: [turning to face Akane] Oi! Run away! Save yourself! A mad dog bit me!

Akane: [giggles] Ohayo, Ranma!

[Ranma rinses and cleans up the sink as Akane begins to brush her teeth.]

Ranma: Is my purple shirt ironed?

Akane: [through toothpaste] I ironed it yeshterday.

Ranma: ... Uh, were you doing the ironing when Kasumi called?

Akane: [nods] Yesh.

Ranma: [sweat drop] Oh boy.

* * *

[Mizunoikan University. Ranma sits in class, sulking. The imprint of an
iron graces his left sleeve.]

Hideo: [walking in] Saotome-san. [looks at sleeve] Uh... fashion statement?

Ranma: No... Akane was ironing my shirt yesterday when her sister called.

Hideo: [grins] Remind me not to leave my laundry anywhere near her.

Ranma: Yeah. [goes back to staring at his desk]

Hideo: [pauses] Something on your mind?

Ranma: Not really.

Hideo: Suit yourself. [walks past Ranma's desk]

Ranma: Hey... you're not, uh, gonna tell anyone about...

Hideo: [shrugs] Who would believe me?

Ranma: ...

[Hideo takes a seat about two rows behind Ranma as the teacher assistant
walks in.]

TA: Class is cancelled today. The professor is at an education conference.
Please see the department secretary to turn in your homework and to get
your assignments for next week.

[The teacher assitant turns and walks out.]

Ranma: And here I was looking forward to a nice relaxing lecture.

Hideo: [claps Ranma on shoulder] Hey, I'm meeting Tomokazu in the cafeteria.
Wanna come?

Ranma: Why not. Not like I have class or anything right now. [grins]

Hideo: [gets up] So how did you ... end up like that anyway?

Ranma: [gathering books] Oh, it's a long story, but it all started in this
place in China called Jusenkyo...

* * *

[The alarm clock buzzes loudly for about 5 seconds, then Makiko's hand comes
crashing down to shut it off. Across the room, Ukyou covers her head with her
pillow.]

Makiko: [groans] I don't wanna get uuuup!

Ukyou: [mumbles] You were the one that registered for that 8:00 a.m. class,
not me.

Makiko: Yeah, yeah.

[Makiko gets up slowly and walks over to the window. She moves the curtains
aside to peek out the window and immediately draws them again, her eyes
shut tight.]

Makiko: Too... bright...

Ukyou: [from under pillow] That's what you get for drinking so much last
night.

Makiko: [makes a face at Ukyou] Yes, mom.

[Sighing, Makiko grabs her clothes and heads for the shower. Twenty minutes
later, Makiko, now dressed, walks back in the room. Her damp hair falls
around her face and shoulders as if it were trying to hide her from something.
Ukyou notices the dark circles under Makiko's eyes.]

Ukyou: Didn't want to dry your hair?

Makiko: [quietly] No. It hurt to even wash it. [pauses] And could you be a
little less loud?

Ukyou: [giggles] Must be a killer hangover.

Makiko: [slowly nods] Where did I put my sunglasses?

Ukyou: Kitchen table.

[Makiko grabs her backpack and leaves the room.]

Ukyou: [very loudly] Don't forget to shut the door!

[Makiko's groan is heard from the other room. Ukyou lies back, staring at
the ceiling until she hears the front door click shut, then gets up out of
bed.]

* * *

[On her way to class, Makiko, wearing a pair of very dark sunglasses and a
Mizunoikan baseball cap pulled very low, stops at a nearby park bench to
rummage through her backpack.]

Makiko: Oh no! I forgot my green notebook! What if we have a quiz? What if
I need to take notes? What if I don't remember my password to the
Muck?

[A tall man, wearing a Chunichi Dragons baseball jersey, wanders over to the
bench where Makiko sits.]

Man: Hi! Kawamura Makiko, isn't it?

Makiko: [wincing] Uh... hai.

Man: I'm Sagashi Kikumura. We met yesterday at the baseball game, remember?

[Makiko puts a hand to her forehead and rubs slowly.]

Makiko: Gomen... I'm not at my best right now.

Sagashi: [chuckles] How about I buy you a cup of coffee in the cafeteria?
Maybe that'll help?

Makiko: [glances toward the cafeteria] Uh... how about you buy me that
coffee and we'll sit outside? [tries to smile]

Sagashi: [realizes] Oh! Hangover, eh?

[Makiko makes a slight face.]

Sagashi: One cup of coffee, coming right up.

Makiko: Arigato.

[The two begin walking in the direction of the cafeteria.]

Sagashi: Say, I've been meaning to ask you... you're rooming with Kuonji-san,
ne?

Makiko: [nods slightly and winces] Hai. Ever since the beginning of the year.
She's pretty cool... slightly weird, but pretty cool.

Sagashi: Do you know if she likes baseball?

Makiko: [frowns] Well, she's pretty athletic, though I'm not sure if that
comes from her martial arts training or what. [pauses] I guess she
does, seeing as she played with us.

Sagashi: [puzzled] Martial arts? Does she study kempo?

Makiko: Doubt it. I think it's her own style. It has to do with okonomiyaki.

Sagashi: [blinks] Okonomiyaki.

Makiko: Hai. [scratches head] It's a little fuzzy, but I think Ranma had
something to do with it.

Sagashi: Speaking of Saotome, what's his deal?

Makiko: What do you mean?

Sagashi: He... she... well, you know.

Makiko: Ranma and Ukyou are just friends. And anyway, Ranma's already married
to Akane.

Sagashi: [raises an eyebrow] Married, eh?

Makiko: Yeah... they'd been living together for years before they got
married, and Akane's pretty open about it all... well, now anyway.

Sagashi: And Saotome... is pretty... open about it as well?

Makiko: I guess so.

Sagashi: [looks at his watch] Hey, I've gotta run. It was nice talking
with you.

[Sagashi sprints across the grass.]

Makiko: [yells after him] Oi! What about my coffee? [immediately holds her
head] Ite...

* * *

[Inside the cafeteria, Akane, Nabiki, and Odayaka are all having lunch.]

Akane: ... and I was just saying that the whole premise of the character
was pretty bad to begin with. No one was gonna believe a businesswoman
in today's society would have a hillbilly mentality.

Nabiki: [sipping coffee] It _does_ sound a bit far-fetched.

Odayaka: Excuse me, Saotome-san, but is the character based on a real-life
person?

Akane: Hai. Which makes me think that the person in question hasn't come to
terms with what SHE wants to be when she grows up.

Nabiki: [smirks] Now now, sis...

Akane: Which reminds me, did Kasumi call you this morning, Nabiki?

Nabiki: Hai. Why do you ask?

Akane: I didn't understand what she was talking about, saying something about
not being home tonight just in case.

Nabiki: Maybe she's got a late class or lab or something tonight.[shrugs]

Akane: [sighs] Well, anyway, I need to go shopping for some costume
material... something that says "up and coming businesswoman," or at
least something like "farmer-turned-businesswoman" anyway. Any ideas?

Nabiki: Now that you mention it, there's a little shop near my place that
tailors pretty well. If you mention my name, you probably will get
a discount. [grins]

Akane: Is that a hint? [giggles]

Odayaka: Tendo-san, does this store also tailor other clothing besides
business clothing?

Nabiki: I imagine so. Why?

Odayaka: It is extremely difficult for me to find clothing because of my
stature. Many times I have to shop in the kids' section just to
get clothes that fit correctly.

Akane: Really? I wouldn't have thought you would have that much trouble
finding a nice dress or outfit.

Nabiki: Hey sis, why don't you go shopping with Odayaka? You could show her
some of the local clothing stores and what-not around here, and
maybe you'll find some stuff for yourself as well.

Akane: [pauses] Well...

Odayaka: [bows] It would be an honor.

Akane: [sweat drop] Ok, sure. [brightens] Why not! It'll be fun!

Nabiki: [grins] You bet! Now, if you two will excuse me, I just spotted
someone across the room that I need to speak with.

Akane: You mean "collect from", ne?

Nabiki: [mock indignation] Why Akane! You wound me with your accusations!

Akane: [applauds] Wow! That was almost believable!

Nabiki: [sweeping bow] I try my best!

[All three girls dissolve into a fit of giggles.]

* * *

[Sato kneels in front of several candles at the shrine's main altar. The
sound of soft humming wafts through the air, along with the faint scent of
incense. Tiny rays of light spread through the cracks in the window shades,
illuminating seemingly random areas of the hardwood floor. The tranquility
is broken when a man wearing a purple and orange delivery hat opens the doors,
letting a stream of sunlight into the meditation area.]

Delivery Guy: Excuse me! Package here for Yutaga-san?

[Sato slowly turns to face the delivery man in disbelief.]

Sato: Di- did you just say that package was for Yutaga?

Delivery Guy: Hai. [holds out clipboard] Sign here.

[Sato hastily scrawls his name on the clipboard and takes the small box from
the delivery man.]

Delivery Guy: Domo. [shuts doors behind himself]

Sato: [to Yutaga] You ordered a package.

Yutaga: Actually, it's for you. But I didn't want to give your name... junk
mail, y'know?

Sato: That's not the point... [pauses] Uh... just when did you make this
order, anyway?

Yutaga: A couple of nights back. When you had crashed in front of the TV
by the phone. There was this ad on TV for these books that I thought
you could use... y'know, with Hitomi-chan.

[A large bead of sweat rolls down Sato's forehead as he opens the box to
reveal a three volume set of books entitled "How to Talk to Women".]

* * *

[Ranma and Hideo sit in another corner of the cafeteria with Tomokazu. Books
are piled high on the table as all three flip through each others' notes.
Stacked next to the books are several empty plates and soda cans.]

Hideo: [suddenly standing up] I'm gonna grab another soda. Anyone want
anything?

Ranma: Hai. Whatever's fine.

Tomokazu: Nothing for me, thanks.

Hideo: Be right back. [walks off]

Ranma: [mumbles] Did I ever mention how much I hate history?

Tomokazu: About thirty times.

Ranma: [looks up] I hate history.

Tomokazu: [not looking up] Thirty-one.

[Ranma leans back in his chair, stretching his arms over his head and
yawning at the same time.]

Ranma: I give. My brain is full.

Lardizabal: [from behind Ranma] Considering it doesn't hold much to begin
with... [Ranma's elbow finds its way into Lardizabal's midsection]
oof!

Ranma: Lardy.

Makiko: [standing next to a doubled-over Lardizabal] Hi Ranma. How are you?

Ranma: [brightens] Hey Maki-chan. [notices her attire] Why the sunglasses?

Makiko: I...

Tomokazu: Hangover, eh?

Makiko: H- hai.

Hideo: [loudly] Hey all!

[Makiko whimpers.]

Hideo: [to Ranma] What's with her?

Ranma: Hangover. [goes back to writing]

Lardizabal: [finally catching his breath] Anyway, we just came over to see
what you guys were doing tonight.

Tomokazu: [smirks] We were thinking of going drinking all night. You in?

Lardizabal: Sure! That'd be- mmph!! [Makiko's hand clamps over his mouth]

Makiko: I was thinking of a nice QUIET movie at home, actually.

Ranma: Dunno what Akane's got planned. I'll have to check and see if we're
going out or not. I'll have Akane call you tonight, ok?

Makiko: [nods] Un. Oh! By the way, I ran into Sagashi today.

Ranma: [very interested] Really? What'd he have to say?

Makiko: Not much... he was more interested in Ukyou than anything, though he
did ask about you. Actually, he asked about you and Akane.

Ranma: He did, did he?

Makiko: Yeah... mostly about how "open" you and Akane are.

Ranma: [scratches head] Weird.

Makiko: I thought maybe he was just being a hentai, but then he took off to
meet someone... [shrugs] Anyway, I'll be waiting for Akane's call
tonight.

Lardizabal: Which bar are you guys gonna start at?

Tomokazu: Well, we were thinking of...

Makiko:[interrupting] You don't have time tonight, remember?

Lardizabal: But...

Makiko:[crosses arms] REMEMBER?

Lardizabal:[hand behind head] H- hai.

Makiko: Very good.[somewhat cheerfully] Anyway, see y'all later!

[Makiko walks off, Lardizabal acting like a wounded puppy behind her.]

Tomokazu: I say _those_ two are weird.

Hideo: Agreed.

* * *

[Odayaka follows Akane through the throng of people congregated at the local
shopping district.]

Odayaka: Saotome-san?

Akane: [over her shoulder] Hai?

Odayaka: Thank you for taking me here. I truly appreciate it.

Akane: [grinning] You're welcome. Maybe sometime you can return the favor.

Odayaka: I can only hope so.

[Akane stops in front of a nondescript store with several racks of clothing
outside the door.]

Akane: This is the place.

Odayaka: [blinks] What is this place?

Akane: Only one of the best-kept secrets this side of Tokyo. They have
the most kawaii clothes here!

Odayaka: [sweat drop] ...

Akane: [waves hands] Kidding! Actually, this place has a pretty decent
selection of what's "in". AND it's not too expensive either.

Odayaka: [brightening] Okay!

[The two enter the store. Akane immediately sets upon a nearby rack and holds
up a light green skirt and matching top.]

Akane: Oi! Nabiki would just love this! Don't you think?

Odayaka: [nods] I think so. [holds up a black skirt with a lavender top]
What do you think?

Akane: [ponders] I like the top, but the skirt is too long.

Odayaka: [hunts for another] Like this?

Akane: [nods] Better.

Odayaka: If I may ask a question, why does Nabiki always wear such ...
professional clothing?

Akane: [giggles] She's always been a business-type, and now, since we're in
college and don't have to wear uniforms anymore, she can really "show
off".

Odayaka: I see. [pauses] Did Shimada-san ever .. embarrass Nabiki-san?

Akane: Hmm... not that I can recall, though she frequently skipped classes.
That's about it, I think.

Odayaka: [smiles] I doubt I will skip any classes without good reason.

Akane: [nods] Just be yourself and there'll be no problems. Besides, you
dress way better than Junko did anyway, so I don't think you'll
embarrass Nabiki with your fashion sense.

Odayaka: [nods] Arigato.

Akane: Out of curiosity, why are you worried about embarrassing Nabiki?

Odayaka: [looks down] I do not wish to place Nabiki-san in the same position
that her former roommate did, that's all.

Akane: [puts a hand on her arm] I don't think you have anything to worry
about. [smiles] Now come over here, there's some more styles I think
you'd look good in...

* * *

[The bell rings, signaling the end of the period. One door flies open, and
Sagashi races down the hall. He ducks between the entryway doors and hurdles
over the steps leading up into the building. Unfortunately, his backpack,
already half unzipped, dumps its contents on a nearby student.]

Shirow: Oi! Watch it!

Sagashi: [hurriedly] Gomen. [tries to pick up papers]

[Shirow bends down to help Sagashi pick up the scattered papers. Sagashi wads
most of them into one gigantic pile, then takes off running for the stadium,
papers trailing behind.]

Shirow: Hmph. Must be late for a game.

[Out of curiousity, Shirow picks up one of Sagashi's fallen papers and
reads it.]

Shirow: "You won't believe this, but I met this girl the other day who's got
huge..." [trails off] "She's married, though, which is kinda weird.
But whatever. She's definitely a switch-hitter. Maybe her 'wife'
swings both ways too." [looks up] Oh no.

[Shirow takes off toward the New Nekohanten.]

* * *

[Evening. As Akane and Odayaka exit yet another store, several bags in tow, a
car drives by with its windows open. Suddenly, it pulls over and its
passengers get out - all of them wearing Mizunoikan varsity baseball t-shirts
or jerseys.]

Man 1: [closing door to car] The club is right around the corner.

Man 2: [grins] I'm looking to score tonight...

Man 3: Hey, whoa... look at what's walking by!

[They watch as Akane and Odayaka, oblivious to their presence, walk
past.]

Man 2: [looks] Check out the ass on the one on the left.

Man 3: [rubs hands together] You can have her - I'll take the other one.

Man 1: [blinks] Uso...

Man 2: Nani?

Man 1: I think that's the girl Sagashi was talking about.

Man 3: Which one?

Man 1: The one on the left.

Man 2: [loudly] Man, and they say all the good ones are taken.

[The others snicker loudly.]

Man 3: [loudly] What I wanna know is... which one gets to be on top?

Man 2: [loudly] I say it's the one with the shorter hair. Y'know, the butch.

[The others snicker again. Both Akane and Odayaka, curious, turn to see who
the men are talking about, only to realize that they are the subject of the
conversation.]

Man 1: Well, well! Maybe there's a third involved somewhere. These two look
too soft to be in charge.

Man 3: I'll buy that.

[Amused, Akane glances over at Odayaka, who looks visably upset.]

Odayaka: [whispers] Saotome-san, w-why are they saying such things?

Akane: Either it's because they're pigs, or their brains are in their pants.
[glances at the front of the first guy's pants] Hmm. Guess they're
pigs, because their brains are too small. [turns away] C'mon, let's go.

Man 1: [indignantly] Hey!

Man 2: Bitch!

[The men quickly surround the two women. Akane drops her shopping bags to the
ground, while Odayaka pulls hers closer to herself as if trying to hide.
Several nearby shopkeepers immediately close their doors and peek out their
shop windows.]

Man 2: I hate uppity women.

Akane: [retorts] When I care what you think, I'll tell you.

Man 3: You got a big mouth, you know that?

Akane: So?

Man 3: So maybe we're going to have to shut it for you.

Odayaka: [softly] Please, please don't hurt us. Just leave us alone.

Man 1: [grabs Odayaka] Maybe if you help me with a little "problem" I've got.

Akane: [claps a hand on Man 1's shoulder] Hands off.

Man 1: So she _is_ your bitch, eh?

Akane: No, she's my _friend_. And if you know what's good for you, you'll
let go.

[Man 1 slaps Akane hard across the face and is immediately dropped by a
retaliatory right cross.]

Akane: Guess you didn't know, did you?

Man 2: Now you're in for it!

[Man 2 takes one step toward Akane and is kicked into a nearby light pole.
Akane turns to face Man 3, only to see him take off running back to his car.
As he speeds away, she walks over to Man 2 who is leaning against the pole,
holding his stomach and coughing.]

Akane: [grabs shirt] Talk. Why are you making all those comments about
us?

Man 2: [coughing] We heard you were a lesbian.

Akane: NANI?

[Odayaka drops her bags, spilling her brand new clothing all over the
sidewalk.]

Akane: Where did you hear this from?

Man 2: Team e-mail. [coughs]

Akane: [pulls Man 2 upright] Show me. Now.

* * *

[Mizunoikan, about two hours later. Ranma leaves the library, stuffing his
notebook in his backpack. Sagashi is waiting for him at the bottom of the
stairs.]

Sagashi: So...

Ranma: Sagashi. How goes?

Sagashi: Good. You?

Ranma: Could be better. Heard you ran into Kawamura today.

Sagashi: [grins] Yeah?

Ranma: Yeah. Interested in Ukyou?

Sagashi: Well...

Ranma: She's a great girl. I've known her for a long time.

Sagashi: Actually, I'm more interested in someone else.

Ranma: I know.

Sagashi: You do?

Ranma: But Kawamura is taken. [Sagashi face-faults] Besides, she's totally
in love with Lardy.

Sagashi: Anou... it's not her either.

Ranma: [rummaging through his backpack] I wonder if it's this girl then?

[Ranma pulls out the note Sagashi dropped in front of Shirow earlier in the
day and begins to read it.]

Ranma: "You won't believe this, but I met this girl the other day ..."
[trails off] "She's definitely hot, nice legs, red hair, etc. and
she's totally into baseball, which is a definite plus. Kinda small,
but curvy in the right places. Definite attitude, which is cool.
She's married, though, which is kinda weird. But whatever. She's
definitely a switch-hitter. Maybe her 'wife' swings both ways too."

[Sagashi's expression turns to one of bewilderment.]

Sagashi: W-where did you get that?

Ranma: Never mind that. This is a printout of an e-mail that you sent about
me. Who did you send it to?

Sagashi: ...

[Ranma grabs the front Sagashi's shirt with both hands and holds him off the
ground.]

Ranma: One more time, who did you send it to?

Sagashi: [quietly] The team's mailing list.

Ranma: [incredulous] You sent this crap to the Mizunoikan baseball team?

Sagashi: Not the entire team, just some of the guys. You know. Just to talk
smack and stuff.

[Ranma drops Sagashi to the ground.]

Ranma: I should kick your ass for that.

[Sagashi scrambles to his feet, trying to get in a better position to defend
himself.]

Ranma: [shoulders his backpack] But you're not worth it.

[Ranma drops the note at Sagashi's feet.]

Ranma: For the record, I'm a guy with a curse, not the other way 'round.
[pauses] You _probably_ should have asked first before you opened
your yap.

[Ranma begins to walk away.]

Ranma: [over his shoulder] By the way, I think a couple of your teammates may
have something to discuss with you. Something about spreading rumors,
dishonoring the team, and getting the crap beat out of them by a girl.
[chuckles] You'd be surprised at just how fast news travels these days
when there's a computer involved.

[Sagashi pales.]

* * *

[The next morning. Nabiki, Odayaka, and Akane are again sitting at their
usual table in the cafeteria.]

Nabiki: Did you two see this? [shows headline] Three members of the
Mizunoikan baseball team were kicked off the team for "dishonor to
the team and the school code of conduct." Hmm...

Akane: [sniffs] Really? Good for them.

Nabiki: [blinks] Where's your school spirit, sis?

Akane: Sorry, must've left it at home. Besides, they got what they
deserved.

Nabiki: [narrows eyes] Why do I get the feeling that you had something to
do with this?

Akane: Oi! I...

Odayaka: [politely interrupting] Excuse me, Tendo-san, but if the school has
dismissed these people on those grounds, they must have either done
something of enormous harm to the school's reputation or they must be
people of highly questionanble character.

Nabiki: [scanning article] Hmm. It mostly talks about violation of team
rules and character standards. [looks up] I guess when you're an
athlete, you have to be "on the ball" all the time, ne?

Odayaka: [smiling] I surely would not want such a person representing myself
or my school.

Akane: Besides, who knows what those "team rules" are anyway. Maybe they
violated curfew or sent a bad e-mail or something.

Nabiki: [shugs] Who knows. Speaking of e-mail, how'd you get access to a
computer last night to send me that message?

Akane: Uh... an internet cafe' down in the shopping district. Must be a new
place, because I hadn't seen it last time I was there.

Nabiki: You'll have to show me sometime. [picks up paper] Now, let's see how
the Nikkei did yesterday...

[Odayaka and Akane simultaneously look at each other and smile.]

* * *

[Yuriko's lab. Yuriko sits at her desk writing in her notebook. Several
plainly labeled vials and flasks sit nearby on her workbench, the results
of obvious lab work. Yuriko finishes her writing and puts away the notebook
just as Kasumi enters the lab.]

Kasumi: Hi! I'm going to lunch with a friend. [tentatively] Would you like
to join us?

Yuriko: [absently] No thanks. I've got to finish this one lab that I missed
last week and then I'm done with my make-up work.

Kasumi: [visbly relieved] Oh! Well, have fun!

[Kasumi exits, leaving Yuriko to pull out yet another notebook and start
making notes. Downstairs, the sounds of a tickle-fight between Kasumi and
her visitor waft up the stairs for a few moments, then the door closes and
all is silent.]

* * *

[Sato stops in front of the door to Hitomi's apartment, hand raised and ready
to knock. He hesitates, however, and then drops his hand in resignation.]

Sato: [whispering] Hitomi-chan...

[He stares at the door handle for a full minute, then turns to walk away
when the door unlocks with an audible click.]

Yutaga: [whispering] I'd say that's an invitation if I ever heard one, big
guy.

Sato: [whispering] Can't you go away for a couple of hours or something?

Yutaga: [sighs] Just trying to help. [fades away]

[Grasping the handle tightly, Sato opens the door to a dimly lit room. As
his eyes adjust to the low light, he realizes that the source is a pair of
candles atop the table in the corner. Seated at the table in front of a
well-prepared meal is Hitomi. She is dressed in an off-the-shoulder blue
dress that accentuates her blond hair perfectly. Smiling, she wordlessly
beckons Sato to come inside. Dumbfounded, Sato barely manages to close the
door behind himself.]

Sato: [whispering] Hitomi-chan... you look so beautiful.

Hitomi: [blushing] Arigato, Ichiro-kun.

Sato: May I...?

[Hitomi smiles and nods toward the empty chair across from herself. Sato
seats himself, and the two share a moment of silence just staring at each
other's eyes.]

Hitomi: [softly] Would you like something to drink?

Sato: [pauses] Actually, allow me.

[Hitomi's smile widens as Sato uncorks the bottle of white wine and fills her
glass halfway. He then does the same for himself.]

Sato: [holding up glass] To a new beginning. [nods slightly]

Hitomi: [holding up glass and clinking Sato's] To a new beginning.

finis.

The middle of the day
Sun is beating down
No movement on the street
Nobody is around

The winds of change are still
The ground sets your feet ablaze
The riverbed is empty fill
The heat is coming down in waves

The air is stifling
Come closer and you'll see
My heart is pounding
Faster than it seems

The clouds have gone away
And the sun is here to stay
I want to find a way
To come back to you today
There's no real reason why
It's just the end of July

Written by David Tai, Paul Gallegos, Jeff Hosmer and John Walter Biles

Artwork by Alexandra Teixeira

Special Thanks to Tucson Animation Screening Society (TASS) and of course
Rumiko Takahashi

Copyright (c) 2001 Digital Knight Communications.

"Ranma 1/2" and its characters are Copyright (c) 2001
Viz Communications, Inc., Shogakukan, Kitty Animation, and Rumiko Takahashi.