[Ranma][FanFic] Nabiki-New Horizons Chapt 15

G.L. Sandborn

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99

Nabiki - New Horizons
Chapter 15 - No Way To Treat A Lady

Akane waited patiently outside the customs area at Tokyo-
Narita International Airport. She was there to greet her older
sister, Nabiki, due to arrive at any moment. Unlike previous
visits, Akane had kept her sister's coming secret. No one else
in her family knew about Nabiki's trip - not even Kasumi.
Nervously, Akane glanced at the sea of faces that surrounded
her in the bustling terminal. It was just the usual Sunday
afternoon crowd of greeters waiting for arriving visitors, family
members and business associates. Akane examined the faces again,
more carefully this time. She wanted to make sure that certain
people didn't follow her or in some way find out about Nabiki's
visit.
Satisfied she was alone, she turned back to watch the
customs exit for her sister to emerge. She was being careful.
She had to be. After all, the actions of the other fiancees had
created in her a sense of paranoia unlike anything she'd ever
experienced. It wasn't exactly unwarranted. They had an uncanny
knack for showing up at times she least expected or desired.
Akane's face darkened as she thought how Ranma, the lunk, didn't
seem to notice such things. Or maybe it was he didn't *want* to
notice. In any case, Nabiki would be here soon. She'd know what
to do.
Akane's patience was rewarded when she caught sight of her
older sister making her way through the crowd at the exit.
Despite her exhausted expression, Nabiki looked as welcome as the
sun after a weeks worth of rain.
Akane rushed to greet her sister, maintaining her dignity
while making sure Nabiki knew how much this meant to her.
Eagerly, Akane took her sister's large suitcase-on-wheels and
began a steady stream of irrelevant questions, comments, and
observations as she led her through the terminal.
Nabiki, however, just waved her sister down and made it
clear she had just experienced a terrible flight. All she wanted
from Akane was a quick meal and a leisurely nap in her old room.
Akane's disappointment only showed for a moment before she nodded
her agreement and followed her sister into a convenient eatery.
Over a light meal, Akane pressed her sister for details
about her plan. Nabiki, however, wasn't prepared to discuss her
plans just yet.
"These things must be done properly," she tiredly said while
swirling the ice in her glass. "If we don't, you'll just be open
for further attacks by the troublemakers. I want this to end now
and for all time."
Akane agreed but further prompting failed to get Nabiki to
reveal more. The only thing she got out of her older sister was
the feeling she was still cheap. Akane scowled as she got stuck
with the check.
As they headed back out into the bustling terminal building,
Akane started one direction while Nabiki turned the exact
opposite. Akane almost stumbled over the suitcase she was towing
when she noticed her sister's decision.
"Where are you going? The trains are this way." Akane
gestured the opposite direction her sister was walking.
"I'm *not* taking a cramped, noisy train, Akane. I'm tired
and I want to get home NOW." Nabiki didn't miss a step as she
continued to walk towards doors that led outside. Akane could
only scramble to catch up - silently cursing unpredictable
sisters, bulky suitcases, and crowded air terminals.
Outside, Nabiki quickly corralled a taxi and had just
finished loading her carry-on bag when Akane struggled up with
her sister's giant suitcase. The driver paused to scratch his
head before setting about worrying the large bag into the car's
tiny trunk. He was about to slam shut the trunk lid when a tired
and cranky Nabiki growled a warning.
"Scratch that luggage and you'll pay for more than just
buying a new one." The driver swallowed hard before gently
fitting the trunk lid into place, taking special care not to
damage Nabiki's over-sized suitcase in any way.
They were barely out of the airport's traffic when Akane
broke the silence with her version of 'small talk'. It was
obvious she was apprehensive and nervous. Nabiki, however, was
in no mood for idle conversation.
"How's Sodoshi?"
"Fine."
"And Jeff?"
"Fine."
"Is it nice in Hawaii this time of year?"
"Yes."
Akane bit her lower lip nervously and bent over slightly to
better examine her sister's face. Nabiki appeared
uncharacteristically uncomfortable despite being back in the land
of her birth. Akane decided to try something else.
"Kasumi and Tofu are still at it." She paused to force a
giggle behind her hand. It was really tough carrying on a
conversation when only one person wanted to talk. "I don't know
what they were doing in the kitchen the other night but daddy
came home unexpectedly and must have caught them because he
quickly went to his room, his face bright red."
Akane laughed at the scene as she recalled it. Nabiki's
expression never changed. Her eyes remained glazed and fixed on
the back of the driver's head.
"It must have been something to see," Akane forced another
giggle as she, again, leaned over to look at her sister.
"Must have been." Nabiki's response sounded flat and
mechanical.
Akane nudged her sister's arm. "Are you alright?"
Slowly, Nabiki's head turned. Akane was struck by how old
and tired her sister suddenly looked. That only added to Akane's
feeling of guilt at asking her sister for help.
Nabiki blinked and sighed while looking at her younger
sister. "Akane, I've had a lot of time to think about this.
Frankly, I don't understand why you and Ranma haven't resolved
this situation on your own."
"What do you mean?" Akane's eyes grew wide with surprise.
"I couldn't just--"
"You could!" Nabiki interrupted. "You've always had the
power to resolve this problem, one way or another."
Akane's mouth opened to protest but nothing came out. Her
look bordered on panic.
"Akane, you know very well what I'm talking about. You've
known about this all along." Nabiki crossed her arms and melted
back into the seat, her eyes closed, her head down. "What
bothers me is that Kasumi has always known, father has always
known, even that fat idiot Genma has always known. Yet no one
has ever done what was necessary."
Both rode in silence for a few moments, letting the sounds
of the city intrude on their solitude as each paid council to
their thoughts. Nabiki finally got to her point. "The only
things holding you both back from resolving this issue has been
yourselves. I'll arrange everything this time, but you *better*
be certain that this is what you both really want. I won't put
up with any further waffling by either of you."
"I love Ranma," Akane pleaded with her sister. "We were
promised to each other. We've made lots of progress together
over the last few years."
"Then what's the problem?" Nabiki eyed her sister with
suspicion.
Akane scowled at her hands as they twisted in her lap.
"I... donno."
"Then you better figure it out quick or the deal is off."

Nabiki's arrival at the Tendos was mixed, to say the least.
While Kasumi acted surprised, Soun and Genma nodded their
welcomes while looking past Nabiki for the rest of her family.
"My little So-chan is not coming?" Soun asked plaintively,
his face stretched into a hurt look.
"No," Nabiki answered softly as she endured Kasumi's heart-
felt welcoming hug. Her fatigue was only momentarily lost in a
warm oneechan welcome.
"Not even Jeffrey?" Genma groused in disappointment. He had
some really sure fire ideas this time.
"Not even Jeffrey." Nabiki's eyes scanned those present.
One was missing - Ranma. Her tired mind filed his absence away
for later analysis. For now, she had other things on her mind.
"I'm very tired. It's been a long trip. I'd just like to go up
to my room and take a nap."
As she started up the stairs, Kasumi took her sister's giant
suitcase silently fell in behind, struggling with every step.
Nabiki never paused as, in her mind, she was only a few steps
away from a soft bed and a welcome nap.
They had just turned the corner at the top of the stairs
when Soun scowled at his friend. "I wonder just why she chose to
make this visit without her family."
"Most unusual, old friend," Genma agreed.
"There must be something going on." Soun turned suddenly to
Akane, who was still standing in the entrance scowling at the
floor.
"Do *you* know what's going on, daughter?" Soun's question
was direct, reasonable, and far too close to Nabiki's real reason
for her visit.
"No." Akane hated lying to her father. She always felt so
guilty when doing so.
Obviously, her father knew she was being... less than
truthful.
"Something *is* going on."
Akane felt trapped. On top of her sister's earlier
admonition, she now had her own father to deal with. She had
forgotten him in her panic to get Nabiki's help. If he and
Ranma's dad were to get involved in any way, whatever plans
Nabiki might have in mind would, most certainly, be ruined.
"It's probably all my fault anyway," Akane muttered as she
suddenly turned on her heel and bolted for the door.
"Daughter!" Soun called, surprised at Akane's behavior. If
he was confused before as to what was going on, he was totally
mystified now. His daughter's reaction was most distressing.

Nabiki quietly entered her room and paused just inside the
doorway. To her tired eyes, everything was exactly as last time
she visited. The queen-sized bed still filled most of the room,
leaving just enough space at the foot to accommodate Sodoshi's,
now inappropriate, crib. Her desk still played host to her
modern calculator and antique abacus while the last of her
formerly vital ledger books leaned comfortably against her boom-
box radio on the shelves above. Kasumi had obviously been in
there to dust and make sure there were fresh sheets on the bed.
The bed. Nabiki's eyes caught on the comfortable haven
while she started to unbutton her blouse.
"I've cleaned in here every week since you and Jeffrey last
visited," Kasumi said in a soft voice while placing her sisters
suitcase on the floor in front of the dresser. "But, for the
most part, I've left things exactly as you left them."
"Thank you." Nabiki dropped her expensive-looking blouse
over the desk chair without missing a step. Her bed was calling
an she was about to answer.
"This visit is most unexpected." Kasumi idly drew her
fingers across the edge of the dresser as she talked. "Is there
some kind of problem between you and Jeffrey?"
"No." Nabiki slid out of her slacks and undid her bra.
"Is So-chan alright?" Kasumi winced at the mess her sister
was making on her way to bed.
"Yes." Nabiki's voice was cut off as her body flopped down
on the soft bed and sleep began to envelop her senses.
"Well, I'll just... leave you to your jet lag." Kasumi
fished her sister's clothes off the floor and neatly hung them
up. Nabiki didn't answer as sleep had finally wrapped its warm
arms around her bare body and soothed her with its embrace.
Kasumi paused to pull a thin blanket over her sleeping
sister before quietly leaving the room to the lightly snoring
Nabiki.
Outside, she closed the door and leaned against its frame.
Her scowl of concern clearly displayed a determination to solve
the mystery of just why Nabiki had come to visit without her
family.

Akane ignored her father's call and ran for the dojo.
Nabiki's words were still ringing in her ears. It was true.
Everything Nabiki had said was true. She *could* have solved
this long ago but her own stubbornness and fear of commitment had
stopped her. Even when she overcame Ranma's gender-switching
curse, she still couldn't bring herself to go through with the
marriage. The only time she even came close was way back in high
school, and even then it was only because she thought he had told
her he loved her.
Akane burst through the doors of the dojo, searching for a
place of refuge. She made it as far as the dojo's shrine before
collapsing on the floor. She fought the natural urge to cry but
she wasn't strong enough to totally stop her tears.

Three hours later, Akane was in control of herself once
again. Leaning against the far wall of the dojo, she lightly
rested her head on the worn wood and contemplated all she had set
in motion. With her older sister's help, her long nightmare of
fiancee troubles would finally come to an end. Of course,
Nabiki's solution might just be worse than all the fiancees put
together but she was willing to risk it if it meant relief from
her current troubles.
"You missed dinner. Everything alright?" came a soft voice
from the doorway. Akane quickly looked at the figure silhouetted
in the moonlight and instantly recognized Kasumi.
Slowly, Akane nodded as she sighed loudly. "I was just
thinking."
"That must be some train of thoughts." Kasumi softly padded
across the room, her slippered feet making only soft rustling
sounds as they lightly skimmed the floor. "I've brought you
something to eat. You must be famished."
Akane just shook her head before running a hand through her
hair and drawing up a leg so that she could rest her elbow on her
knee. "Will it ever end, Oneechan?"
"Will what ever end?" Kasumi lightly knelt on the floor in
front of her sister and set a small tray within her sister's
reach.
Akane only glanced at the tray's contents before shaking her
head again. "I can't tell you, Oneechan," she said while rolling
onto her knees. "I need to find Ranma."
Kasumi continued to stare at the tray as her sister got to
her feet. She wasn't used to Akane holding things back from her.
As Akane started towards the door, Kasumi quietly put a hand on
her sister's arm to stop her. "Please be careful, Akane. I'm
sure Ranma has a very good reason for being so late. Things are
not always as they first appear."
Akane stared at her sister impassionedly before finally
smiling. "Don't worry. I haven't used a mallet on the big jerk
in over a month."
Kasumi blushed and covered her face to hide a chuckle. It
was true, as of late, they had behaved themselves more than in
the past. That still didn't prevent the occasional Akane-ground-
zero-sub-nuclear-detonation. "Are you going to tell me what this
is all about?"
Akane hesitated. The need for absolute secrecy wrestled
with Akane's need for allies in her current quest. Eventually,
her need for help won out and she sat down next to Kasumi.
Moments later, she had explained everything related to Nabiki's
visit.
"Yes, I suspected it would eventually come to this," Kasumi
noted as she stared out the open dojo door. "I could see what
having to watch all their antics, day after day, was doing to
you." She paused and took Akane's hand in hers. "I'll help in
any way I can."
Akane's relief was punctuated by a sudden hug of her sister.
She wasn't alone in this anymore. She now had both sisters to
help. "Just keep the fathers off Nabiki for awhile longer. I'm
sure Nabiki has some really clever plan in mind and I don't want
them to disrupt things. You know how they can be."
Kasumi chuckled and nodded. She knew how to handle them.
Housewives were experts in handling men around their domain.
Relieved, Akane left the dojo, determined to find her
fiance. At the main gate to the compound, she paused to consider
where to start her search. She remembered that Ranma was
supposed to be teaching at Inouye-sensei's dojo. It sounded like
as good a place as any. With a shrug of her shoulders, she
shoved her hands into the pockets of her shorts and started the
long walk across town.

Cologne quietly sat at one of the Nekohatten's empty tables
playing solitaire. It really wasn't all that much fun for her
because every time she needed a particular card, it would
magically appear in her hand. It was more an activity to kill
time while waiting for Shampoo and Mousse to finish cleaning the
diner than a method of amusement.
"Done," Shampoo gleefully chirped as she dropped her
cleaning brush into a nearby bucket. "Kitchen now clean."
Cologne continued to play cards, winning game after game by
only having to turn over a few cards in her hand. She never
acknowledged Shampoo's efforts. Praise was unnecessary. Her
great-granddaughter was simply doing as she was expected to do -
nothing more.
Mousse just continued to absently sweep the same spot on the
floor over and over again. All the time, he was watching the hat
rack over by the door and dreaming of his sweet Shampoo.
"Things are afoot, child." Cologne paused and scowled as
the last card she turned over was one totally inappropriate for
the situation. This was indeed a unique occurrence.
"What do you mean, Great-grandmother?" Shampoo quickly
approached Cologne's table, her light silk fighting pants
whispering as her shapely thighs caused the material to rub
together.
"The middle Tendo daughter has returned to Japan."
"Middle sister always come home." Shampoo shrugged before
kneeling on the floor next to her great-grandmother. She winced
lightly and scowled at Mousse when she noticed the spot she had
chosen had not been properly cleaned.
"This time, child, she returns without her husband OR her
daughter." Cologne paused to scowl at a second card that refused
to conform to her wishes. "That is a sure sign of trouble."
"Perhaps it because she member of Japanese shadow people."
"Perhaps," Cologne conceded as she won another hand, this
time taking more than two trips through the deck to do so. "I
believe, however, there is another reason."
"What reason, Great-grandmother?"
"Because my son-in-law has completed his studies, I believe
he will attempt another wedding of the youngest Tendo sister."
"NO!" Shampoo jumped to her feet, her hands clutched into
fists. "Ranma belong to Shampoo!"
"Yes, child. He will undoubtedly attempt some form of
trickery to deceive us." Cologne paused as she noticed that not
only was she no longer turning over exactly the right cards, but
now she had actually lost one hand of the game. "It will not
work, of course. We must be ever vigilant for any signs of a
wedding."
"Yes, Great-grandmother. Shampoo watch Ranma very close."
Cologne nodded as she neatly stacked the cards before
tossing the whole deck into a nearby trash can. For several
seconds she continued to scowl at the can. Cards were also a
Chinese way of fortune-telling. She was wondering if what she
just experienced was a omen of things to come.

Over at Ucchan's, Ukyou leaned over her clean counter and
stared at a small picture. It was a special picture, kept in a
special hand-carved frame and stored in a special place where she
could admire it daily. She sighed as her index finger lightly
traced the features of the person in the picture. She sighed
again and slowly shook her head.
"Why don't you realize how much I love you?" Her finger
made another circuit of the figure's face. "Why do you make me
do things I don't really want to do. I know you intend to marry
soon. You told me your plans three years ago."
Ukyou shook her head slowly and clutched the tiny picture of
Ranma Saotome to her chest.
"I'm sorry, Ranchan. I can't let you go through with this
marriage. She is not right for you." Ukyou looked out at her
darkened diner and sniffed back a tear. "I hope you'll
understand. I'm only doing this for your own good. You haven't
thought this through well enough. I know when you do, you'll
agree this is a mistake."
Ukyou smiled like her fiance was sitting on the stool in
front of her. "Give me just a little more time, Ranchan. I'll
think of a way we can be together AND satisfy your honor."
Ukyou kissed the picture and carried it with her as she made
her way down the hall to her bedroom. Her dreams this night
would be the same as every night; of her winning the heart of
Ranma Saotome and living happily ever after.

Kodachi Kuno admired her handiwork. Sitting on her
oversized bed, she wiggled her toes to get the full effect of her
recent nail painting. She was trying 'baby pink' tonight.
Her look darkened as she examined the rest of her feet.
"Ugly," she muttered as she wrinkled her nose. "Maybe more
lotion..."
She reached for her bottle of skin softening lotion and
poured a quantity into the palm of her hand. After rubbing her
hands together lightly, she began to softly massage her right
foot. A small smile spread over her face as she sensually worked
the lotion into each crack and crevice. Her eyes closed and she
imagined it was Ranma Saotome's strong hands gently caressing her
tender digits. He was bare-chested and flexing his muscles as he
rubbed her feet. Yes, he was exactly where he belonged; at her
feet and servicing her as she deserved. A soft moan of
satisfaction escaped her lips as she felt his fingers slip
sensually between her toes. The feeling made her entire body
tingle. She licked her lips and silently urged him onward -
ordering him to not be bashful. He had her permission to
continue a little... higher.
"Oh yes my love," she murmured. "Your touch pleases me."
She was about to work up to her calf when there was a knock
at her door. With a sigh of resignation, she urged her hands
from her shapely legs and reached for a nearby towel.
"Yes. Who is it? What do you want?" she snapped at the
door while wiping the excess lotion from her feet and hands. She
would resume later, she promised herself. In a more intimate
environment.
"Sister dear, I must speak with you." Tatewaki Kuno jiggled
the door knob to illustrate his urgency.
"So start talking." Kodachi was in no mood for her idiot
brother.
"I would prefer to speak to you face-to-demented face."
Kodachi wrinkled her nose at the door. "If you insist."
Only the continued jiggling of the door knob answered
Kodachi. "You might try unlocking the door, my sweet but
hopelessly insane sister."
With a grump and a hissed warning about annoying brothers,
Kodachi bounced off the bed and slipped into a loose-fitting
yukata that adequately covered her previously bare features.
With a twist of her wrist, she unlocked the door and barely got
out of the way before her brother stumbled in. Instinctively,
she tugged her covering tighter about her body.
"So what is it that is so important you needed to deliver in
person?" she snarled, making sure she was positioned properly to
reveal quick flashes of her skin when she desired. She liked
playing this game. It was so much fun trying to see just how
long he could last before bolting from the room. Just to make
sure he saw what she intended, she turned away from him and
raised her arms to check her hair. The cool air caressing her
bare bottom told her she was showing exactly what she intended.
Tatewaki, however, acted as if he didn't notice.
"I understand from our demented little dwarf of a servant
that Nabiki Tendo has returned to Nerima." Tatewaki crossed his
arms and tried to look appropriately regal. It was difficult to
do with his sister's bare bottom winking at him from beneath her
yukata.
"So?"
"I find that curious, don't you?"
"Brother dear, her father still lives here. Her sisters
still live here. Why would your fevered mind find something
unusual about her visiting her father and sisters?"
"Perhaps, then, you'd like to explain why Miss Tendo
returned without her husband and child?"
"Her name is Lawrence now, my hopelessly brain-damaged
sibling."
"I am not concerned with whatever her name is now. She will
always be Nabiki Tendo to me." Tatewaki paused to flex and
produce a bokken. Kodachi raised a single eyebrow as his loose-
fitting swordsman's jacket parted sufficiently to expose his
muscular chest. She had to admit, he had all the right parts in
all the right places.
"Brother dear, don't wave that stick in my room."
"I, Tatewaki Kuno, known throughout our country as the
Rising Star of Japan..."
"Put a sock in it. You didn't even make it to the finals of
the All Japan Kendo Championship last month."
"Fraud! Cheats! Collusion! I was a victim of a vast
conspiracy between the other competitors and the officials. They
knew they couldn't defeat me in a fair fight so they resorted to
cheating - all of them!" Tatewaki's face turned crimson as he
waved his bokken around and screamed his indignation at such
treatment. "I was denied my rightful place on the victory stand
because of collaboration between my opponents and the officials."
"You got whipped like a peasant," Kodachi snorted. She
enjoyed baiting her brother this way. It always got him more...
excited.
Her brother's body stiffened at the insult but he quickly
regained his composure. "At least I'm still a force to be
reckoned with. You, however, have run away and hidden from any
further competition."
"I simply retired as the champion I was."
"As I recall, you were dethroned by a certain red-headed
girl."
"NOT TRUE!" Kodachi spun around, the top of her yukata
separating far enough from her body to attract her brother's
attention. "She was disqualified by the judges soon after her
'victory'. I retired a champion."
"You retired a demented twit," Tatewaki muttered. "This is
getting us nowhere. I want to know why Nabiki Tendo... Lawrence
has returned without her family."
"Perhaps it is to arrange her sister's marriage," Kodachi
flippantly replied before she even realized what she had said.
It was intended only to bait her brother further but stunned her
as well by what such a response actually meant to *her*.
They stared at each other as Kodachi's words sunk in.
"We have to stop them," she finally said. "My Ranma is NOT
going to be forced to marry against his will. Marrying Akane
Tendo would most certainly be against his will."
"I quite agree," growled Tatewake as he stepped closer to
his sister. He could feel the heat from her body as her
breathing made her pulse with excitement. "Besides, Akane Tendo
is destined to marry only me."
Kodachi's body rubbed lightly against her brother's. She
loved the feeling of rubbing up against something as firm as her
brother. "Yes, we need to make plans."
They remained like that as their breathing accelerated,
their eyes locked into smoldering looks.
Tatewake's arms suddenly went around his sister's still
tight gymnast's body and he pulled her willingly to him. "Yes.
Let us go... make plans."

Akane finally arrived at Inouye-sensei's dojo. The lights
were still on and there appeared to be a crowd gathered in the
center of the room. Unwilling to announce her presence right
away, Akane looked for a nearby window to peek through. After
all, she was still suspicious as to why he was so late coming
home. The only window she noticed was along the side of the
building and it was high enough that she had to stand on her toes
to see much of anything inside. What that one peek revealed set
her blood boiling.
Even though she could only see him from the waist up, Ranma
was clearly visible in the center of the room. Around him,
however, were women - lots of women. Akane blinked and looked
again. The women were all giggling and asking him questions.
She couldn't make out what they were asking but it was clear by
him holding his hand behind his head, they were embarrassing
questions.
"That perverted little skunk," Akane mumbled as she stormed
around to the front and barged through the beaded curtain that
covered the front entrance.
"Ranma Saotome....!" Akane screeched to a halt, blinking at
the scene before her. To say she was surprised at what she found
would be an understatement.
Ranma was indeed surrounded by women. But as they turned
towards the disturbance Akane had created, it was obvious there
were over a dozen children sitting on the floor between Ranma and
the women. The women were all mothers.
Akane took a deep breath and remembered Kasumi's admonition
that things were not always as they first appeared. As if to
confirm that notion, she noticed a hand-lettered banner strung
along the back wall that read: 'Good luck, Ranma-sensei'. Akane
really began to feel rotten at what she had suspected her fiance
of.
An old man with wire-rimmed glasses who Akane assumed must
be Inouye-sensei came waddling out of the back room carrying a
bucket full of ice and cans of soda pop.
"Here it is, everybody," he crowed as the kids all cheered
and hastily formed a line.
Ranma took that opportunity to quickly disengage himself
from the giggling women and slip over to where Akane was
standing.
"Everyone, I want you to meet Tendo Akane." Ranma politely
indicated the nervous-looking Akane.
"Oh, so you're the lucky young lady engaged to my best
instructor," Inouye-sensei croaked as he waddled over towards the
young couple. The women quickly followed and crowded around
Akane smiling and offering their take on the engagement.
"You're so lucky."
"He's such a good catch."
"When is the big day?"
Akane swallowed hard, tried to smile and asked out of the
corner of her mouth: "Ranma? What's going on?"
"I can answer that, young lady," Inouye-sensei chuckled as
he handed her a can of soda. "This is young Saotome-san's last
evening with me. I can't tell you what a joy it has been having
him here. With my advanced age and all, I just couldn't have run
my school the last few years without him."
Akane glanced at Ranma who was busy examining his own toes
while trying to look modest.
"I'm closing my school and retiring this weekend. Your
fiance says he's reopening your father's school and the ladies
here were just inquiring about lessons for their children."
"You were?" Akane blinked at Ranma with raised eyebrows.
Such an obvious act of maturity surprised her.
"Just like a husband," one of the ladies chuckled. "Never
tells the wife anything." All the women giggled together and
smiled at Akane.
"I guess so," Ranma answered shyly as he rubbed the back of
his head again. He really didn't like being the center of all
this kind of attention.
"In fact, most of my students have expressed an interest in
continuing their studies with young Saotome-san, or should I say
Saotome-sensei?" Inouye-sensei laughed uproariously while the
mothers giggled again. Akane couldn't help it, but she was
beginning to like the attention. Even if that jerk Ranma didn't
tell her all his plans.
"I guess I kinda forgot to tell you." Ranma actually looked
apologetic. Whatever anger or irritation Akane held for her
fiance quickly ebbed away as their eyes met. She couldn't always
seem to find the handle to her anger anymore.
"That's okay. We'll discuss this at length when we get
home." Akane flashed Ranma a mischievous grin.
"You tell him."
"Get control early."
Akane blushed and covered her face at the advice the mothers
were offering. Yes, she really liked this attention.
"I knew your father back when our two schools were competing
for students." Inouye-sensei grinned at Akane as he popped open
another can of soda. "He is one of the finest persons I've ever
met in martial arts. Young Ranma here is a perfect successor to
your father's legacy." He finished by clapping a hand on Ranma's
shoulder. "I know I leave the martial arts in good hands."
Ranma blushed again. Akane nodded her approval and quickly
split away from the men to mingle with the mothers. They were
all acting like she was a new bride or something; chattering,
complimenting, and offering advice. Akane soaked it all up.
The couple remained with Inouye-sensei for another hour
before he announced it was getting late. There were the usual
round of goodbyes from the children and mothers.
Akane had to cover her face and fight her natural tears as
each of the children bowed deeply as they passed and called her
'Mrs. Ranma'. A quick glance at Ranma found him staring at her
with a tiny grin of satisfaction.
After the mothers and students had all departed, Ranma
offered to help clean up the mess.
"No, you have a long walk home. I'll just pick up a few
things and leave the rest for tomorrow." Inouye-sensei slowly
picked up the bucket of half-melted ice.
"At least let me carry this for you." Ranma almost lunged
at the bucket in his haste to help.
Before Akane could shout any kind of warning, the bucket
wavered and slashed all down the front of Ranma - with
predictable results.
"Oh dear. Now look what happened. I'll have to get my mop
and..." Inouye-sensei suddenly paused and looked carefully at
the red-headed girl standing before him still holding the half-empty
bucket.
Squinting, he looked closely at solemn Ranma-chan - removed
his glasses and stared intently at the twin clues barely
contained by Ranma-chan's shirt. He put his glasses back on
again and took a complete visual tour of the girl's body. With a
tentative finger, he reached like he was going to poke Ranma-chan's
left breast before he thought better of it and withdrew his hand
altogether. His face screwed into a supremely confused expression.
"Please forgive me, young lady." He tapped the side of his
head with his fingers like he was trying to fit all the pieces
together. "I was just talking to young Ranma Saotome. I could
have sworn...." His voice trailed off as he looked slowly around
the room.
When his eyes caught on the nervous-looking Akane, he seemed
to make a few of the necessary connections.
"Ah, Miss Tendo. Was not Ranma just here?"
Akane glanced nervously at Ranma-chan before answering. "He
had to leave... suddenly."
"Ah, I see." Inouye-sensei slowly turned again to the
dripping Ranma-chan. "And you would be...?"
"My cousin Ranko, sensei," Akane answered nervously before
Ranma-chan could say or do anything. "We were going to walk home
together."
"Ah, I see." He was beginning to repeat himself.
"Excellent idea. Always travel in pairs. That's what I teach my
students, you know."
"Well," Akane bit her lip nervously. "I guess we better
go."
Quietly, Ranma-chan set the bucket back onto the floor as
Inouye-sensei waddled into the back room in search of a mop. As
he went, he muttered just loud enough to be heard. "Must have
been a stroke. I understand these things can cause one to lose
memory. Must check with my doctor in the morning."

Ranma-chan silently followed Akane out of the dojo and into
the deserted street. She paused in the shaft of light coming
from the dojo and looked back. She watched for a few moments
while the old sensei calmly set about mopping up the water and
spilled ice. A cold wave of regret washed over her body causing
her to shiver slightly. She had just deceived the one person in
the world who had treated Ranma Saotome with respect. She had
just lied to a man who had spent the last few years teaching
Ranma Saotome about honor and honesty. He was a man who, unlike
Ranma's father, actually meant everything he said.
In a way, Ranma couldn't help but think of how all this was
a metaphor of his life. He was always trying to do the right
thing, trying to be helpful. All too often, his efforts resulted
in a misunderstanding, or having to lie, or someone else having
to clean up his mess. He meant well. He just seemed to be
cursed with bad luck.
The curse. Slowly, Ranma-chan raised her hands and looked
at them front and back. They were the hands of a girl, not the
hands of a powerful male martial artist. They were, to him, the
most visible embodiment of his curse - the first thing he saw
whenever he went through his accursed transformation. Ranma-chan's
lower lip trembled slightly as the first tear rolled down her cheek.
She HATED her curse. She especially hated what it had done to her
and what she had been forced to do because of it.
She felt Akane suddenly by her side and didn't resist when
Akane guided her into the welcome darkness further down the
street. At least in the darkness, she didn't have to look at the
physical ramifications of her curse.
"It's okay, Ranma." Akane's voice sounded soft and
understanding. It was a far cry from the way she treated him
five years ago. Akane slipped her warm hand into Ranma-chan's
and squeezed it lightly. Ranma-chan only stared blankly ahead.
"I'm so tired of this, Akane." Ranma-chan's body trembled
slightly. "I'm so tired of all the deception, the lies, and the
hiding."
"I know, Ranma. I know. It's been a long road for both of
us."
Ranma-chan slowly turned her head and stared at Akane. "You
don't have to live with this."
"Every day, Ranma. I have to live with it every day."
"Not like this."
"Perhaps, but I have to live with the knowledge that the man
I love sometimes transforms into a girl. That's not easy
either." Akane switched from holding Ranma-chan's hand to
hugging her arm and pressing herself against him in a comforting
way.
"It's not the same."
"Maybe not, Ranma. But it's hard nevertheless." Akane
almost flashed some of her former anger with her declaration.
Ranma-chan could feel Akane's body stiffen with her words. "I
told you before, I don't care what you look like on the outside.
Inside you're still the man I love." She concluded by reaching
over and kissing Ranma-chan on the cheek.
With a sigh, the man inside Ranma-chan nodded. He had come
a long way as well. No longer was he so quick to take offense at
things his fiancee said. No longer was he ready with an insult
every time she said something that upset him. Maybe Kasumi was
right. Maybe they had both grown up.
"Let's go home, Akane. I need a hot bath."
Akane smiled softly at the suggestion. "I'd like that."
Ranma-chan could only shake her head as they started off for
home. She liked taking baths with Akane. They were friendly and
innocent - like two children sharing a furo. Or maybe like a
married couple; calmly allowing the warm water to chase away all
their cares and fears.
"Nothing's going to happen, right?" Ranma-chan tentatively
asked. Deep down, Ranma hoped every time they took a bath
together something *would* happen. It never did.
"Maybe," Akane softly replied the same way she always did as
she hugged the red-head's body to hers. "Just maybe."
They had only walked a few blocks when Ranma-chan suddenly
jerked to a halt and quickly spun around. She stared back the
way they had come, trying to pick out just what had caught her
attention in the first place.
"What is it, Ranma?" Akane quietly asked as she too looked
for whatever it was that had caused her fiance to pause.
"I'm not sure. I could have sworn someone was following
us."
"Ranma, you're scaring me." Akane hugged Ranma-chan tighter
to herself. In recent years, she'd allowed herself to act more
like a girl and less the martial artist. It had helped their
relationship in spite of the fact it was mostly an act.
Figuring she was just acting jumpy of no reason, Ranma-chan
shook her head. "Let's cross over a few blocks. The street
lighting is better there."
Akane quickly nodded her agreement and the two veered onto a
cross street, heading for the busier main street beyond.
Behind them, a figure lurched silently from shadow to
shadow; always careful to remain out of any pools of light
created by nearby businesses or street lights while keeping the
odd couple in sight.

***** 2 *****

The next morning Nabiki left the house early. Carrying her
thin executive briefcase stuffed with papers, she looked like a
woman out to conquer the world. Considering what she was trying
to do, that probably would have been easier.
Akane followed her out of the house, still trying to get her
to reveal *some* clue as to what she had in mind but Nabiki was
still reticent about revealing too much.
"This will take a couple of days," Nabiki said as she and
Akane walked to the front gate. "In the mean time, don't do
anything stupid."
"Like what?"
"Like whatever it is you two usually do to screw things up."
Nabiki stepped through the gate and frowned at her sister. There
was more she wanted to say right then but decided it could wait.
"Is there anything I can do?" Akane, feeling helpless at
being so much in her sister's hands, really wanted something she
could do to help her sister.
"Keep an eye on father and Mr. Saotome."
"Oh, Kasumi's already doing that."
"WHAT?"
"I kinda... told her."
"Akane, can't you keep a single secret to yourself?"
"Oneechan won't tell anyone else. I'm sure of it."
Nabiki shook her head and sighed. Secrecy was so important
in what she was trying to do. If she couldn't execute her plan
quickly and without interference from the other fiancees, it
wouldn't work at all. Still, Kasumi could be valuable in dealing
with the domestic troublemakers. "Alright. Just keep it between
the three of us. I guess if anyone can handle those two, it
would be Kasumi."

Akane gleefully acknowledged her sister and waved as Nabiki
set off, her small leather bag slung over her shoulder.
With renewed hope that things were going to work out
alright, Akane happily made her way back to the house. Before
she reached the door, a noise from the dojo attracted her
attention. Investigating, she discovered Ranma doing his morning
workout.
Remaining carefully out of sight, she leaned against a wall
and watched him go through a series of leaps, blocks, and punches
- in total harmony with his environment. She wistfully thought
how beautiful he looked as his muscles rippled and flexed under
skin that glistened with his own sweat. She couldn't help but
fall in love with him all over again.
As he finished, she approached him with his towel in hand.
"Never better," she said softly while holding out the towel
for him. He didn't take it immediately.
Instead, he tried to smile but only succeeded in blushing
and looking sheepish. "Ohayo, Akane."
Akane draped the towel around his neck and pulled him gently
to her for a morning kiss. Both savored the moment.
"Ah, Akane...," Ranma stammered when they broke apart. He
was only partially distracted by the fact she was running the
fingers of one hand over his chest, feeling his muscles.
"Yes?" Her voice sounded distant and kawaii.
"About last night --"
"Shhhh. It's okay." She smiled and blushed as she turned
away. "Really. It's okay."
Neither said anything else. Akane slowly walked from the
dojo, her hands clasped firmly in front of her. Ranma ran the
towel firmly over his face and stared after her. He wanted to
say more but knew there was nothing he could say or do that would
change last night. He also knew there was nothing she could say
or do now that would change his mind. He now wanted her more
than anything in life.

***** 3 *****

It was getting dark by the time Nabiki returned home. She
approached the old gate to their compound and paused as she
noticed something new had been added.
"Well, I'll be...," she mumbled as she examined a brand new
sign posted where the old Tendo Dojo sign once stood. It
proclaimed the opening of the Saotome-Tendo School of Anything
Goes Martial Arts. Nabiki slowly smiled. It looked like Ranma
was finally going to reopen the school as he once promised.
"There's hope for the boy yet." Nabiki shook her head and
hesitated as something across the street caught her attention.
It looked like someone moving from one shadow to another. Nabiki
slowly rolled her eyes - convinced it was one of the fiancees
keeping tabs on her and Ranma. It reminded her of just how
difficult her job was.
As she reached for the latch on the gate, a thought occurred
to her. Casting a quick glance at a certain house on the side
street next to the Tendo compound, Nabiki considered the hour
before deciding to deal with one more element of her plan.
Slowly, as waves of memories swept over and around her,
Nabiki approached the small, run-down house. It hadn't changed
much over the years. Its back porch where Ranma confronted the
ninja on the night Jeffrey was attacked needed repair, the roof
was missing a few shingles and a section of the railing had
fallen down. Nabiki instinctively grimaced at the sight of such
neglect. The obvious reason for the neglect bit a little deeper.
As she reached the rickety old stairway leading up to the
front door, another memory assaulted her senses. She paused, one
hand on the railing and pursed her lips as she considered if it
was advisable to even look. With a silent snort of resignation,
Nabiki quietly worked her way along the front of the building
until she reached the corner. Checking to see if anyone was
watching, she slipped into the darkness and counted the skirting
boards until she came to the ninth board. Lightly, she ran her
fingers over its surface and mused about how narrow the opening
would be if she removed it, like she had done so many times as a
child.
<Was I ever able to squeeze through such a narrow opening?>
She quietly smiled. Her memories, some good and some bad, about
the times she hid under this house to avoid her mother.
Nabiki sighed softly and shook her head. She told herself
that these were things of her youth - things that were no longer
important in her life. She had responsibilities now.
With a grim look, Nabiki stole back around to the front and
up to the stairs. As she placed her foot on the first stair, a
low growl greeted her from the darkness under the stairs.
"Hush, Baby. It's only me," Nabiki said tiredly.
Immediately, the growling came to a halt and a brown muzzle
poked its way between two stairs, its large black nose twitching.
Nabiki extended the back of her hand for the dog to sniff and was
rewarded by an immediate whine of recognition and flurry of
motion as a large, brown dog came scampering out from under the
stairs - its tail whipping wildly side to side.
"You been a good girl?" Nabiki scratched the dog's furry
neck like an old friend and slapped lightly on the dog's flanks.
It was apparent that Baby had been well fed. "How come you're
still outside? Not allowed in the house anymore?"
The dog just whimpered again and pressed her large body up
against Nabiki. It was obvious the dog wanted her visitor's
undivided attention. Nabiki grunted as Baby pressed her harder
into the railing in an attempt to show affection for the middle
Tendo daughter.
<Good thing I'm taking a bath tonight,> Nabiki mused with a
wrinkled nose. <Baby, you could use one yourself.>
"Gotta go now, Baby." Nabiki stood up and patted the dog's
head one more time. As if she understood, Baby contentedly
worked her way back under the stairs. Nabiki paused only a
moment before completing the climb to the front door.
Opening the front door slightly, she called in. "Konbanwa.
Is anyone home?"
"Just a moment," came an elderly female voice from further
back in the house.
Nabiki slipped off her shoes and ran her eyes over the
interior of the living room. It hadn't changed since she was a
child. Even the furniture was still the same.
The shuffling of feet on aging tatami mats announced the
arrival of old Mrs. Suzuki. "Yes? Who is it?" she asked while
putting on her glasses. Nabiki hesitated at the sight of how old
the woman had gotten over the last few years. Old people, as a
rule, put off the younger Nabiki. Growing older herself helped
bridge the gap, making the elderly more tolerable.
"It's me, Suzuki-sempai."
"Oh?" Mrs. Suzuki adjusted her glasses again and peered at
the young woman standing in her living room. Her face quickly
brightened with recognition. "Nabiki! How wonderful you've come
to visit. How are you?"
Nabiki endured the old woman's enthusiastic welcome, along
with her greeting hugs. As they sat down on the only Western
furniture in her room, an aging sofa, Nabiki made a note to
herself to see Jeffrey about paying for some repairs to this old
house. It wasn't right for someone who had meant so much to
Nabiki to be living in such conditions - however happy she might
appear.
"So, where is that baby of yours?"
Nabiki grimaced slightly and shook her head. "I'm here on
business. I've left my husband and daughter at home. She's in
school now, you know."
"Already?" Mrs. Suzuki expressed her surprise broadly. It
was clear she was enjoying just talking to her favorite
'granddaughter'. "How time flies. Why, just yesterday I
remember you walking to your first day at school. You were
wearing your little yellow school hat and had your book bag on
your back. I made you a special bento because your mother...."
Mrs. Suzuki made a sucking noise and covered her mouth like she'd
just said something unforgivable.
Nabiki slowly lowered her head and grimaced at her hands.
"It's okay. We've all come to grips with it."
"I'm so sorry, Nabiki," the old woman gasped. "I *must* be
getting old to have forgotten my manners in such a way. Please
forgive me."
"It's okay," Nabiki repeated with a pat on the old woman's
hand. "I understand. Mother is at peace now and so am I."
Both sat in silence as the noisy clock of the far wall
ticked off the seconds. Nabiki knew how embarrassed her old
friend was and decided to get to the point of her visit in order
to change the subject.
"I've come because I need your help, Suzuki-sempai."
"Oh? Suzuki-sempai is it?" Mrs. Suzuki looked at Nabiki
with raised eyebrows. "That must make this a formal visit."
"No... really..." Nabiki paused in her protest. Then it
occurred to her. She had been away so long she had forgotten how
to approach her fellow countrymen. She had forgotten how every
tense and phrase was so important.
"Nabiki, you've changed." Mrs. Suzuki's blunt announcement
summed up the visit. Nabiki was no longer the little girl trying
to scam her way through the male-dominated Japanese society. She
had grown and matured into womanhood. More was expected of her
now by the very people who'd allowed her to get away with her
indiscretions in the past.
"I'm sorry," Nabiki whispered. "Please forgive me."
The old woman stared at Nabiki until she began to sweat.
"Then call me what you used to - when you were a little girl and
I was your grandmother."
Nabiki's sudden look of shock quickly gave way to an
embarrassed smile as she glanced around the room to make sure
they were alone. Just thinking about doing this brought back
painful memories. Still, the old woman was the closest thing to
a real family she ever had. "Okay.... Baba."
"That's better, Koneko-chan." Mrs. Suzuki chuckled at the
use of Nabiki's pet name. Only she and Nabiki's mother knew that
name and it was never used outside their privacy. "Now, what can
this old woman do for you?"
Nabiki fought a wave of discomfort as she licked her lips
and sniffed once. "I need you to act as a go-between."
Mrs. Suzuki's blank face foretold her abrupt answer. "I
don't do that anymore."
Nabiki sighed. "I understand your reluctance --"
"It is not a reluctance. What I almost did to your sister
was inexcusable. I can never repay her for the damage I did.
Never."
"Baba, please --"
"No, Nabiki. A go-between has certain responsibilities.
Chief among them is making certain that both the bride and groom
are of the highest moral character. I failed you, I failed
Kasumi, and I failed your family. That is unforgivable." Mrs.
Suzuki bowed deeply as possible on the couch - perhaps even
deeper than was comfortable for her. She was directly
responsible for the introduction of Kenji Watanabe to Kasumi
Tendo. As Kenji Watanabe turned out to be a vile person without
honor, such reflected back on the go-between. While the Tendos
never said anything about the failure, Mrs. Suzuki assumed
responsibility on her own for the debacle and continued to live
in shame over her failure.
"It was not your fault."
Mrs. Suzuki's body stiffened before slowly relaxing as the
old woman shook her head. "You young pups still do not
understand the full ramifications of honor. It is not something
one can forgive or forget so easily."
"You talk like Ranma Saotome."
"The strange kid that hangs out at your house? Well, that
certainly surprises me."
"Yes, he lives with my father and, yes, he is very much full
of surprises. If I told you everything, you'd easily change your
mind about him and honor. He may be a pain in the ...." Nabiki
swallowed to avoid using a certain word in front of her 'Baba'.
"...sometimes, but he's NEVER done a dishonorable thing that I'm
aware of."
Mrs. Suzuki eyed Nabiki while considering her words. "Just
who would you be having me act as a go-between for?"
"Ranma Saotome and Akane Tendo."
The old woman's eyes went wide with surprise. "I thought
they were already engaged?"
"They are. But Ranma Saotome is also engaged to at least
three others."
Mrs. Suzuki jerked backwards like someone had just struck
her. "I thought you said Saotome-san was an honorable man."
"The other engagements are is father's doings."
"The fat one?" Mrs. Suzuki crossed her arms and scowled at
the floor. "Well, I guess that explains the fiancees. Never
thought very much of that over-stuffed --"
"-- martial artist." Nabiki finished with a wry smile.
"If you say so, dear." Mrs. Suzuki took a deep breath, like
she was savoring every bit of the act and shook her head in
resignation.
"It's because of the other fiancees I want this all to be
done right. It is time Akane got married. Ranma Saotome is her
iinazuke."
"I understand, my dear." Mrs. Suzuki patted Nabiki's hand.
"Perhaps if I were to do this for you it would, in some small
way, atone for my earlier error."
Nabiki nodded and tried to smile. She knew how hard this
was for the old lady to agree. At least, Mrs. Suzuki would
provide the important step of assuring that all the proprieties
were carried out. There would be no mistakes made in the process
that could be used later by one of the former fiancees to
challenge the marriage.
They talked on into the night of things that had happened
since Nabiki married and moved away. They held hands and
discussed what it was like living in America. Mrs. Suzuki
eagerly listened to Nabiki's tales of island life, commenting
often how exciting it must be to live in a strange land. Nabiki
even offered to fly the old lady to Hawaii, a place she had
always wanted to visit, but both knew she was too old to make
such a trip.
As the night grew late, Nabiki stifled a yawn and insisted
she needed to get home before her father and Kasumi began to
worry.
"Wait just a moment, Koneko-chan," Mrs. Suzuki chirped in a
happy voice as she struggled to stand. "There is something I
want to give you."
"Oh, I couldn't take a gift from you. You've already given
me so much."
"Nevertheless, young lady, I insist." Mrs. Suzuki began to
rummage through an old desk where she kept all her bills and
important papers. "It is something I've thought about for a long
time."
Nabiki started to protest again but thought better of it -
certain her Baba only wanted to give her some old heirloom - a
piece of jewelry perhaps. Moments later, the old woman returned
with a folder that bulged with official-looking documents.
"I want you to have this," she said holding it towards
Nabiki. "I have no one else to give it to."
Gently, Nabiki accepted the folder and slowly opened it.
What she saw almost made her drop the entire bundle.
"Baba, I can't accept this."
"Please don't say that, Nabiki." Mrs. Suzuki slumped back
onto the sofa with a slight groan. "I have no children of my
own. All my brothers and sisters are gone." She paused and
looked at Nabiki with a queer expression. One that made Nabiki
tremble slightly. "When you were a little girl. I saw a younger
version of myself - headstrong, contrary, even a little sassy. I
liked that. I always have."
Slowly, Nabiki gathered the documents and hugged them to
her. She bit her lower lip trying to keep from crying in front
of her Baba.
"When I pass on to be with my late husband, I want you to
have my home and all the land it sits on. I know you will do the
right thing with it." She paused and forced a chuckle. "I know
you have no use for such a run-down parcel of land - being so
wealthy and all - but I can trust you to do what I would have
done with it had I been able."
Nabiki opened her mouth to speak but found nothing she could
say.
"Consider it your payment to me for acting as a go-between
one last time." Mrs. Suzuki shifted uncomfortably, like it hurt
for her to sit. "You know, the only thing keeping me going right
now is Baby. I couldn't bear the thought of what might happen to
her should I die. Sometimes it's all I can do to get out of bed
in the morning and bring her food down those stairs." Mrs.
Suzuki looked again at Nabiki. "I know you will take care of her
as well."
Nabiki hung her head and thought of how only an over-sized
scruffy-looking brown dog was all that stood between life and
death for this woman. She silently cursed all the times she
avoided Mrs. Suzuki because she was old and overly friendly. The
old widow was just a lonely old lady who saw in Nabiki a child
she never had but wished desperately to help. Despite her best
efforts, Nabiki succumbed to her emotions.
Squeezing the documents tighter to herself, she began to
cry.
"Now, child. Let's have none of that." Mrs. Suzuki
gathered the shaken Nabiki into her arms and cuddled her like she
did the night the girl's mother died. "No granddaughter of mine
is a crybaby. We can take it, you and I. We're alike - tough."
Nabiki clutched Mrs. Suzuki like she did that night so long
ago when the old lady crawled under her house to retrieve a
sobbing Nabiki. Together, they had held on to each other and
mourned the departure of a woman both had grown to love.
Together, they were stronger than either was alone.
Tonight, the circle had closed. Nabiki reclaimed her only
known 'grandmother' - her Baba - and in her rediscovered a good
measure of her real self.

***** 4 *****

Nabiki awoke the next morning in her old room. As her eyes
focused on the desk at which she had once spent so many hours,
she noticed the folder from Mrs. Suzuki. Slowly, she closed her
eyes and promised she would do everything in her power to make
the old lady's life better. She also swore that the property
would be well taken care of. Perhaps she could move a young
couple into it after it was fixed up a bit. This was still a
nice neighborhood. Being a land owner in Nerima suited her.
Nabiki was still musing the possibilities when she heard
Kasumi's call to breakfast.
With a snort of amusement, Nabiki rolled out of her bed and
dressed quickly. It was just like old times - almost.
Breakfast with the Tendos had not changed over the years.
Ranma, as usual, was shoveling down his food like a starving
dog. All the time, his eyes were glued to the television set
that was playing far too loudly for such an early hour. It
featured a goofy-looking man describing the weather while his
over-sized bow tie spun with every 'joke' he told.
Akane wore her radio headset and merrily bounced to whatever
'bubble gum' tune the station was cranking out this morning. All
the while, she was sneaking bites of food to her Ami-chan hidden
under the table.
Soun Tendo could hardly been seen hiding behind his
newspaper, only his hands and the top of his head were showing.
Occasionally, a hand would reach from behind his paper screen and
grasp his coffee cup before disappearing back behind the paper.
He was, as usual, locked away in his own little secure world.
Genma shared his son's fascination with the TV - as he made
a game out of Kasumi's breakfast by flicking gobs of food into
the air, just close enough to be gobbled by the balding martial
arts master. With every 'trick' he seemed to gloat over his
expertise.
Kasumi, as usual, was missing from the breakfast scramble.
Nabiki suspected her sister had enjoyed a leisurely breakfast
with her husband long before the rest of the family had even
rolled out of their beds. In any case, she could be heard over
the din of the TV cleaning up the breakfast pots and pans while
humming happily to herself.
The post-breakfast activities hadn't changed much either.
Both fathers disappeared, Ranma went to work off his breakfast,
Kasumi set about cleaning the family's breakfast mess and Akane
wandered out to the open engawa to enjoy a quiet moment as the
sun slowly made its way above the surrounding houses. Nabiki
followed her sister outside, her coffee cup in hand. Both sat in
silence as the sounds of Kasumi's cleaning provided them with the
comforting background noise.
"Nabiki?" Akane tucked her legs under her and cuddled Ami-chan
in her lap. "What's it like being married?"
Nabiki, comfortably reclining against one of the engawa roof
supports, snorted and blew some of the steam from her cup. "You
sat in on my lecture to Kasumi."
"I know." Akane stroked her dog and accepted a friendly
lick in exchange. "It's just the closer it gets, the more it
scares me."
Nabiki snorted again and shook her head. "That's normal."
"Were you scared before you got married?"
"Of course. Every woman is a little scared. It's a big
change for her. She gives up her comfortable family life for a
family of her own. She has new responsibilities and has to think
for more than just herself."
Akane sighed her reply and flicked some stray hair back
behind her ear. Despite the beautiful morning, Akane still
looked tired and miserable.
"Akane, have you given any thought to what I asked you when
I arrived?"
"Yes." Akane swallowed hard and looked at her sister. "I
still want to go through with this. I love him."
"Does he love you too?"
Akane nodded and tried to smile.
"What about the other fiancees?" Nabiki continued to try
and look unconcerned while approaching this delicate subject -
blowing more steam from her cup and taking a sip while watching
her sister intently through half-closed eyes.
"They won't give up, Nabiki. Not even after we're married."
Akane hung her head and sniffed.
Nabiki could tell this wasn't easy for her. "How do you
know?"
Their discussion was interrupted by a loud Ranma scream.
"Aaaaaaahhh?! NO!"
The cause of his alarm became apparent by a familiar shout.
"Ni Hao, Ranma!"
Akane's fiance came tearing around the house closely
followed by an elaborately dressed Shampoo. "Ranma see Shampoo
new dress? Look like bride, yes?"
The pair disappeared around the other side of the house only
to be replaced by a loud crash.
"Call it a hunch," Akane groaned as watched the chase with a
sick look.
"I've brought you breakfast, Ranchan! Hold still!"
"No! Not now!" Ranma returned back around the side of the
house still running for his life - this time pursued by an
okonomyaki waving Ukyou who still found it possible to throw a
few of her spatulas in an attempt to pin down her run-away
fiancee. A couple of errant spatulas glanced off the rocks of
the koi pond and took off in unpredictable new directions.
Nabiki's expression never changed, even when a ricochet
spatula embedded itself in the post immediately above her head.
She just continued to sip her morning coffee and watch Akane.
Akane's sick look was replaced by a groan and a hung head.
Ranma beat a hasty retreat around the house still pursued by
a serious-looking Ukyou. Another loud crash, followed by a short
scream, announced more trouble.
"Ranma darling!"
"Aaaaaaaah! Get off me!" Ranma quickly reappeared, a
ribbon wrapped around his neck and trailing behind him as he ran.
"You're nuts!"
"Only for you, my Ranma!" Kodachi Kuno, wearing a bizarre
black and red wedding dress ran as best her long train would
allow. Halfway across the yard, it snagged on one of Ukyou's
discarded throwing spatulas, snapping the loony Kuno to an
immediate halt. Cursing, she paused only long enough to tear off
a section of the dress to free herself before following Ranma
who'd already rounded the corner of the house.
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!"
"Ni Hao, husband! You return to Shampoo, No?"
"NO!"
"Remove your hands from my beloved, you Chinese tart!"
"Get off my Ranchan!"
"WHO SAYS?"
"BUTT OUT SPATULA-GIRL!"
"RANMA HUSBAND!"
"NO!"
Akane sighed and handed her dog to Nabiki. "Okay, Ranma,
I'm coming," she mumbled while cracking her knuckles.
Nabiki continued to sip her coffee as Ami-chan stared at the
spot where the noise was coming from and growled.
"Yeah, I know how you feel," Nabiki said in a monotone as
the little dog vibrated in her arms.
Akane had just rounded the corner when there came a few
shouts of surprise followed by a series of loud banging noises.
A single okonomyaki rolled forlornly across the lawn.
Moments later Akane reappeared slapping her hands together -
a shaken Ranma sheepishly following while rubbing his head.
"You didn't hurt them, did you?" Nabiki's expression changed
for the first time - assuming a look of concern for the other
girls. She might want them neutralized but causing them physical
harm was clearly outside her design.
"No more than they deserved," Akane huffed as she flicked
some grass off her shorts. "They're just stunned. They'll wake
up soon and be their old, annoying selves."
Resuming her seat on the engawa, Akane retrieved her dog and
glared at Ranma who had paused a few feet away looking a bit
surprised.
"How did you do that?" Ranma asked in a stunned voice.
"Do what?" Nabiki looked quickly between Ranma and Akane.
"She.... she.... I've never seen her do that before," Ranma
stammered as he gestured Akane's way.
"Do what?"
"With... her hands." Ranma gestured like he was caressing a
bowling ball - a big bowling ball.
"DO WHAT?" Nabiki wanted answers not gestures.
"It's nothing, really." Akane stroked her dog with short,
quick strokes. Ami-chan looked distinctly uncomfortable from all
the rough handling.
"WHAT!"
"I've been spending some time with Master Sato and --"
"You've been doing WHAT?!?" Nabiki was stunned. She didn't
think Akane even liked the old Shinobi master.
"He's helped me unlock something... something special inside
me." Akane gestured like she too was holding a large bowling
ball. This led Nabiki to conclude that either her sister had
taken up bowling or was on to something really powerful.
Nabiki stared into her sister's eyes with a skeptical
expression. Akane had a small core of inner strength that was
the center of her martial arts power. It was always easy for
Nabiki to see. What she saw now was like an atom bomb compared
to the firecracker that used to be there. It looked awesome in
its potential.
"Master Sato has taught me how find something I never knew I
had - something very powerful. He said it was the gift mother
gave me. I didn't really understand until a few months ago when
I learned what he was talking about."
"Your ki...," Ranma slowly shook his head. "I've never seen
so much, so quickly, so... focused."
"It's nothing, really." Akane blushed and hung her head.
"I can't do it very often... yet."
"You mean there's more?" Ranma's eyes began to bug out. He
knew well the power of ki blasts - he had a few tricks of his own
that used his ki - but he'd never seen such power wielded with
such focus and control before. Such power in Akane's hands
actually scared him a little.
Akane shrugged her shoulders. "I'm still learning, Ranma."
Somehow, that didn't make him feel any better. "Why didn't
you tell me and when did you find the time?"
"We've been training the nights you were teaching over at
Inouye-sensei's." Akane flashed a hopeful look at her fiance.
"And that hiking trip I supposedly took last fall with my college
friends? I was up in the mountains alone with Master Sato
learning how to focus better." She smiled at Ranma like she was
looking for forgiveness. "Didn't you notice how different I was
when I got back?"
"Well, yeah, but I just thought it was because you were more
relaxed after hiking in the woods for a week." Ranma shook his
head and looked at his feet. "I never would have thought --"
"That I could do something so powerful?" Akane's expression
was similar to Nabiki's narrowed-eye look of warning.
"No, it's not that.... exactly." Ranma rubbed the back of
his head again. This was all so confusing to him. It took him
months to master his ki blast. The fact Akane had been able to
master hers with such completeness really bothered him.
"Don't worry, Ranma. One of the side-effects is that I'm
calmer now." She glanced at Nabiki. "Most of the time, anyway."
"I'm definitely going to have a long talk with that old
man," Nabiki growled. She still didn't hold with all this
Shinobi training stuff. She especially didn't care much for him
messing with her little sister.
Nabiki's further thoughts on the subject were interrupted by
Kasumi.
"If you are all going to be alright, I'm going to start my
cleaning out in the dojo." Kasumi smiled as only she could while
holding a mop and bucket.
All three nodded their agreement while exchanging glances.

Kasumi hummed merrily to herself as she walked the covered
walkway to the dojo. It was such a beautiful day, she thought.
The warm sun was just peeking around the house to warm the
flowers she'd planted along the walk. Kasumi smiled as she
noticed how well they were doing and reminded herself she would
have to water them on her way back.
She paused at the stairs as a pair of birds chirped noisily
her direction.
"Good morning, Mr. and Mrs. Bird," she chirped back.
"Beautiful day, ne?" The birds chattered excitedly before
fluttering off towards the morning sun. "Enjoy your breakfast,"
Kasumi called happily.
It was going to be a beautiful day.

Back on the engawa, Nabiki fished a card out of her pocket
and held it out to Ranma. "Would you be so kind as to stop by
the post office and pick up a package for me?" Her question was
not exactly a question and Ranma knew it.
"Sure," he mumbled while taking the ticket. He knew better
than to refuse Nabiki.
"Stop somewhere on your way back and have lunch on me."
Nabiki held out a few large denomination bills.
Ranma's eyes bugged out. Nabiki was offering him more money
than he usually earned in a week. He hesitated while trying to
figure out what Nabiki's 'angle' was to giving him money. She'd
never done that so freely before without wanting something.
As if she could read his mind, Nabiki smirked. "The money
is to keep you focused on getting my package. It's really
important to me."
Ranma nodded his agreement and snatched the bills out of her
hand. His face switched to a conspiratorial look as he walked
towards the gate while counting the money. Whatever was in that
package, he was convinced was worth his undivided attention.
"And no stopping at Myagi-san's bar," Akane warned with
crossed arms and a sly smile. "I don't want a drunk fiance on my
hands."
Ranma chuckled and shook his head as he pocketed the money.
He never went into bars to begin with. Akane's warning was just
her way of telling him to be careful. He chuckled again.
Imagine, Akane telling *him* to be careful.
Nabiki and Akane watched Ranma leave and giggled together.
"You're sure being generous with your money," Akane observed
as she snuggled her dog.
"That's my 'husband lesson' for today." Nabiki got to her
feet. "Give the husband a little money every now and then.
He'll think he's getting away with something but you'll still
control how much he's actually getting away with." They giggled
again before Akane acknowledged her sister's advice with a nod.
"Anyway, I've got to go make a few phone calls."
"Okay, I want to just sit here and soak up this wonderful
sunshine. It feels so good." Akane turned her face to the
rising sun and closed her eyes like she was under a warm shower.
Nabiki snorted again and went inside to get her notes and
phone numbers. It was going to be another long day.

Kasumi lightly skipped up the stairs to the dojo's twin
doors. She paused at the doors and looked over the building's
exterior. It needed paint again. She smiled when she thought of
the last time it needed painting. Ranma and his father
volunteered to do the job and wound up getting paint all over
each other and just about everything else between the house and
dojo. Kasumi and Akane wound up painting the structure.
With another chuckle, Kasumi reached for the door knob. A
sudden noise startled her, her hand jerking back and clutching
the front of her blouse.
"Oh, it's just you Mr. Squirrel," she sighed in relief.
"Ohayo to you."
The squirrel just sat up on his hind legs and stared back at
her.
"You better get back up in your tree. Ami-chan is outside
and you know how she likes to chase you and your family." Kasumi
giggled lightly as the squirrel appeared to take her advice and
scampered quickly to the nearest tree and was soon safely lost in
the green leaves.
Kasumi shook her head happily and opened the door to the
dojo. It was dark inside, the shutters being closed to protect
the interior from the elements. Kasumi thought how she would
just leave the doors open to give her enough light to work.
As she turned to open the other door, a pair of strong hands
grabbed her from behind, yanking her further inside the dojo.
She tried to scream but a hand clamped itself hard over her
mouth, pressing her lips painfully against her teeth. She heard
a click and felt something cold and sharp against her neck.
"Well, if it isn't my wayward fiancee," came a raspy but
familiar voice. "And what have you been up to, my love?"
Kasumi trembled and dropped her bucket, spilling its
contents over the floor to flow slowly out the door and down the
stairs. All she could do is whimper, her eyes wide with fear.
Her eyes also began to water at the overpowering stench of
the man. He smelled so heavily of garbage mixed with human sweat
that it caused a wave of nausea to sweep over her.
"I've missed you, honey. Have you missed me?"
Kasumi whimpered again and closed her eyes hard. It was
becoming difficult to breathe from the stench.
The man's hand went from her mouth to her breast. He
squeezed her painfully and growled his satisfaction. "I've heard
you've taken up with another man. That's a naughty wife." He
ripped open her blouse and roughly fondled her again. "I hope he
hasn't spoiled you. Otherwise I would be forced to discipline
you."
Kasumi began to cry and beg in a whispered voice. "What do
you want, Watanabe-san?"
"Watanabe-san? So formal with your fiance. I like that."
Kasumi felt his lips fasten themselves to her neck, his tongue
working area just behind her ear. "I want what's mine. I want
money. I want new clothes."
"Anything." Kasumi begged for her life. The cold knife at
her throat bit lightly into her skin. Not enough to draw blood
but sufficiently to assure her he was capable of such a deed.
"I'll get you whatever you want."
"Right now, I want you." His fondling became more frantic,
even painful as he pawed the helpless Kasumi. Too frightened to
do anything but endure his advances, she stiffened in his arms,
closed her eyes and started to cry.
"WHAT THE....?" Akane's voice rang clearly from the doorway,
interrupting the molester and his victim.
"Well, well, well." Watanabe snarled as he backed away from
the door, dragging the petrified Kasumi with him. "The little
spitfire of a sister. Where's that fiance of yours?"
Akane stood her ground as her aura began to glow a light
amber. "Ranma is running an errand. Daddy and Mr. Saotome are
in town." Akane looked surprisingly calm despite the fact her
sister was half-naked and in the clutches of a madman.
"Run Akane," Kasumi loud whispered. Her act was rewarded by
Watanabe digging his fingers painfully into her breast as he
dragged her further into the dojo.
"Run and I'll slit her throat from ear to ear," he growled.
The way he held the knife clearly indicated he was prepared to do
just that.
"I'm not running anywhere, Watanabe-san." Akane's voice was
calm as she lightly pushed the door closed. The discarded mop
blocked its travel. "You're in my home, my dojo."
"Then fetch me some tea, GIRL!" Watanabe snarled again,
adding a satisfied chuckle. "Betray me and sweet Kasumi dies."
"I'm not going anywhere."
"Oh, a brave little girl."
"One that is willing to make a deal with you. I trust you
are willing to make a deal."
Watanabe licked his lips and looked quickly around him.
Apparently satisfied with his own superior position, he grinned
wickedly at the younger girl. "Okay, what's your deal."
"As I understand it, you were only interested in my sister
because of how close it got you to this property and my sister's
money. Am I right?"
Watanabe scowled at Akane. "Go on."
"There's no way you're going to get there with either of my
sisters as they're both married. I, however, am still
unmarried." As if to prove her point, she held up her left hand
- silently thanking the fact she had left her engagement ring off
that morning.
"What's your point?"
"You once said my martial arts was undisciplined. You
bragged how you were a kempo champion."
Watanabe's eyes narrowed. He was being 'called out', his
honor challenged by a girl. Kasumi could feel his body stiffen.
"So?"
"I'll offer you a challenge. Beat me an I'll marry you. As
I'm the heir to this property *and* a sister to Nabiki Tendo-Lawrence,
one of the richest women in the world, you would most certainly be
in line for some, if not all, her money."
"Akane NO!" Kasumi loud whispered, her look wild with panic.
"SILENCE!" Watanabe's grip on her breast tightened again
causing her to wince in pain. "Your proposition is interesting
but I'm a wanted man."
"Not really. The police would just assume you remain
missing. You could change your name, move in here, and live like
a king." Akane slowly ran a hand over her own breast. "Besides,
I'm younger and still a virgin."
Akane's final pronouncement seemed to interest the former
policeman. He licked his lips and glanced between Kasumi and her
younger sister. With a sudden jerk on Kasumi's breast, he
chuckled. "Why should I give up a bird in hand?"
"Because my deal is better. With her, you get a used woman
and a handful of yen. Nothing else." Akane crossed her arms
like she had given him all the free show he was going to get.
"You take my proposition and you'll be rich like you've always
wanted. I would humbly submit myself to you whenever and however
you choose."
Watanabe's face twitched as he looked between the sisters.
Kasumi could feel his grip loosening - the knife less firm
against her throat.
"All I have to do is beat you, eh?" Watanabe licked his
lips again and glanced quickly around the room once more. "And
how do I know you'll keep this bargain?"
"My sister will be my guarantor. She's heard the bargain
and would never lie about such a matter of honor." Akane slowly
worked her way further inside the dojo. "So, what's your
decision?"
With an evil grin, Watanabe twisted Kasumi around and
planted a disgustingly sloppy kiss on her lips before discarding
her like a used cigarette. Her body rolled before coming to rest
under one of the shuttered windows. A thin trickle of blood
worked its way down her throat from where Watanabe's knife had
carelessly nicked her tender surface. Otherwise she was
physically unharmed.
Watanabe dropped into a crouch holding his weapon like a
veteran knife-fighter. "I've learned a few things while with the
yakuza. Let's see how good you are against a knife."
Kasumi rolled over on her stomach and clutched her torn
blouse to cover herself as best she could. To her, Akane's glow
had intensified, going from amber to yellow to almost white. She
saw Watanabe's eyes narrow for just a moment before springing
wide with surprise. Kasumi had to cover her eyes at what
happened next.

Nabiki was just hanging up the phone when there was a rapid
series of loud bangs coming from the dojo followed by an even
louder scream of terror. Recognizing the scream as belonging to
her older sister, she bolted from the house and sprinted towards
the dojo. The door was still partway open. There was water all
over the stairs.
"Kasumi!" she called as she took the stairs in a single
bound. Bursting through the door, she was confronted by the
sight of Kasumi cowering on the floor over in the corner, a
scruffy-looking man unconscious in another and Akane standing
wobbly in the center of the room.
"Akane?"
Akane Tendo slowly turned to face her sister. Her face was
blank. Her eyes glazed and unfocused. "I... won." Slowly,
Akane sank to her knees. Before she could totally collapse,
Nabiki caught her and gently lowered her twitching body to the
floor.
"AKANE!" Nabiki's sense of deja vu was running high. She
remembered a similar incident in a forest clearing as her best
friend, Sodoshi Tanaka, died - a memory she wished desperately
she could forget. Despite current appearances, she refused to
allow herself to believe the same results would occur here.
As Nabiki held her stricken sister, Kasumi painfully made
her way over and gently brushed the girl's hair from in front of
her face. That simple gesture seemed to have an effect as Akane
stirred.
"Master Sato.... warned me.... I should be.... careful
until... I understood.... my limits better." Akane's body
spasmed as she gasped for air. "I... I... won. Didn't I?"
Kasumi grasped her sister's hand and tearfully nodded.
"Who's that?" Nabiki asked indicating with her chin the body
across the room.
"Kenji Watanabe," Kasumi hissed with as much venom as Nabiki
had ever heard from her sister. Her eyes burned with hatred and
loathing.
"Jeffrey tried to warn me about him." Nabiki swallowed hard
and glared at the body.
"I'll go call the police." Kasumi struggled to her feet
like she was about to do something she'd always dreamed of.
"It won't do any good. They don't want him. Remember?"
Nabiki continued to hold Akane as the girl's spasms became less
frequent and her breathing became more steady.
"Then what do we do?"
"Leave that to me." Nabiki worked her arms under Akane's
shoulders. "Help me get her inside."
Together, the two older sisters got the unconscious Akane
into the house and up to her room. It wasn't easy as Akane had
put on some maturing weight and Kasumi kept trying to pull her
torn blouse up to cover herself.
As Kasumi saw to Akane, Nabiki made a few phone calls - the
last to the police. She was careful to not mention the name of
the attacker. She had a plan.

Ten minutes later, a squad car its siren screaming roared up
to the front gate of the Tendo compound and discharged three
immaculately dressed officers who quickly ran inside. Nabiki
called them from the door of the dojo and waited as the officers
scampered across the lawn. The first to arrive was the
district's new Inspector.
"Where's the rapist?" he anxiously asked with a polite bow.
Nabiki indicated the still unconscious body across the room
and the two other officers rushed to secure the suspect. Rape
being an uncommon and particularly vile crime in Japan, they were
taking no chances with this one.
"Phew! It smells like someone was burning garbage in here."
One of the officers waved a white-gloved hand in front of his
face as his partner pulled a handkerchief to hold over his nose.
The Inspector began taking information from Nabiki when one
of the officers made a surprising discovery.
"Hey! I know this guy. We went to the academy together."
"What?" The Inspector spun around and stomped over to the
body.
"Yeah, I recognize him too," the other officer added.
"That's Kenji Watanabe. He escaped six months ago. I remember
all the fuss the District Commissioner made about it."
The Inspector glared at the two officers before turning his
glare on Nabiki. She, however, crossed her arms and stood her
ground.
"Did you know who this is?" he demanded of Nabiki.
Nabiki just shrugged her shoulders. "Just some crazy guy
who tried to rape my little sister. Good thing she was a martial
artist, huh?"
"Yeah. Great." The Inspector's reaction brought a slight
smile from Nabiki. The Inspector was obviously on the horns of a
dilemma. Of course, Nabiki was willing to help him out as well.
"You *are* going to take him back to jail aren't you?"
"Huh? Oh, sure. Of course." The Inspector sounded less
than enthusiastic about the prospects of having to deliver back
into the hands of his superiors the very person they would prefer
never be found.
"I thought so." Nabiki grinned as a commotion arose outside
the dojo.
Before any of the police officers could say or do anything,
the dojo was suddenly full of reporters, TV News camera crews,
kleig lights, microphones, and questions bombarding everyone at
the same time. Nabiki had called the media with a hot tip about
the police cornering and capturing a dangerous felon in a quiet
Nerima neighborhood. Naturally, such news was bound to bring out
the media in force.
"What have you done?" the Inspector softly growled at
Nabiki.
"Made you a hero. Shut up and enjoy it."
Nabiki held up her hands and quieted the crowd.
"Inspector..." She paused long enough to twist around and squint
at the Inspector's name tag. "...Nakao and his officers have
just captured the dangerous escaped felon, Kenji Watanabe. As
you may recall, Watanabe-san is a former police officer who had
gone over to the yakuza. He is a most dangerous man and I for
one am thankful for the diligence of our Tokyo police department
in capturing him." Nabiki finished by leading the assembled in a
round of polite applause. That's when the questions really got
interesting.
"Is he going to tell all he learned about the yakuza?"
Nabiki cut off the Inspector with her own answer. "Of
course," she chirped with a big smile. "That's why the police
were so interested in recapturing him."
"We've heard that the police were avoiding his capture
because he knows things about the rumored police corruption
investigation. Is there some link between that and the yakuza."
"Naturally," Nabiki beamed. This was working out better
than even she imagined.
The Inspector grabbed Nabiki's arm. "If you gentlemen would
excuse us for a moment." Roughly guiding Nabiki to another
corner of the dojo, he glared at the young woman. "Do you have
any idea what you've just done to me?"
"Me?" Nabiki looked shocked. "Why I'd think you'd be
thrilled to capture such a valuable person. He'll be able to
tell you everything he knows about the yakuza operations in Tokyo
and might just finger all the corrupt members of your own
department. You'll be a hero."
"I'll be lucky if I don't wind up in the same cell with
him."
"You're not one of the corrupt police officers are you?"
Nabiki looked wide-eyed, innocent and completely horrified.
"OF COURSE NOT!" The Inspector winced at the loudness of
his own protest. It also attracted some of the reporters. He
tried a forced smile their direction before turning back to
Nabiki. "Of course not. It's just...."
"Just?" Nabiki did her best imitation of her daughter's
wide-eyed innocence. She'd obviously been a good student.
The Inspector raised a finger to shake in Nabiki's face as
he sputtered. Nabiki's continued look of innocence seemed to
deflate the irritated police Inspector. "Aw forget it!" He
angrily turned away. "Get him out of here!" he yelled at his
officers who quickly hooked their hands under the helpless
Watanabe's arms and hauled the groggy man out to their car.
"We'll have to fumigate car after this," one officer
complained.
"We'll have to fumigate the entire station house," his
partner corrected.
The media scurried after the policemen, shouting questions
and taking pictures.
One camera crew remained behind to do a quick interview with
Nabiki. She proved her mettle by spinning an exciting yarn about
how a wild-eyed rapist broke into the dojo as she and her sister
were cleaning, intent on having his way with the girls. Only the
arrival of Akane, the martial artist in the family, were they
saved from a fate worse than death. Nabiki even gave a plug for
the Saotome-Tendo Martial Arts School that would be opening in
the next week or so.
As the interview ended and the dojo emptied, Nabiki calmly
remained behind and drew a deep breath. "One down. Two to go."

Hours later, Ranma was the first to return home. He'd had a
really pleasant day - picking up Nabiki's package, stopping by
the park to watch the toy sail boats race, and spending every yen
of Nabiki's money on good things to eat. He was surprised to
find Akane in bed looking like a beating victim.
"Wow. Taking out those fiancees must have drained her more
than I thought," he confided in Nabiki.
"You don't know the half of it, sport." She patted him on
the arm and took her package out of his hands. With a final
smile, she quietly left the room so Ranma could be alone with
Akane.
"You okay?" he asked softly as he knelt down next to her
bed. "Maybe you shouldn't use that technique anymore."
Akane smiled and ran a finger along his cheek. "I love you
Ranma."
Ranma never hesitated. "You know, while running that
errand, I got to thinking. Maybe Nabiki could think of some way
to deal with the other fiancees so we could get married."
"What a wonderful idea," Akane giggled as her arms went
around his neck. "You're so clever, my husband-to-be." She
firmly pulled his face down until their lips met.

Nabiki dropped her package off in her room and tiredly
descended the stairs. It had been a long day and it was only
early afternoon.
Cautiously, she crept through the family room to the hallway
outside the Ono's bedroom. One of the phone calls she had made
earlier was to Dr. Tofu. She knew he was the best person to deal
with Kasumi's psychological trauma.
As Nabiki pressed her ear to the door, she could still hear
Kasumi softly sobbing. It hurt to hear her sister suffering like
that but she knew Kasumi was in the arms of her husband now and
together they would pull through.
Nabiki wandered out onto the open engawa again and leaned
against one of the roof support posts before slowly sliding down
to sit quietly in the spot she had occupied earlier that morning.
Running a free hand through her hair she looked at the clouds
and sighed.
"Jeffrey, I really could use one of your hugs right now,"
she whispered. Her head slowly rolled back against the support
beam and she closed her eyes. Just before sleep overcame her
worn body she mumbled once again.
"I'm so tired. So very tired."

[ Next: Chapter 16 - End of an Era ]