[Ranma][Fanfic] Nabiki-New Horizons - Chapter 14

G.L. Sandborn

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
Nabiki - New Horizons
Chapter 14 - Ninjas and Other Myths
By G.L. Sandborn

Nabiki sighed softly as she packed another pair of slacks into
her suitcase. She was leaving for Nerima tomorrow afternoon and this
wasn't the kind of trip she wished to take.
Akane was coming unraveled over the 4 years of harassment at the
hands of the various fiancees who continued to relentlessly pursue
Ranma. Their tactics had become more persistent and underhanded over
time, sometimes coming closer to doing serious harm to Ranma or Akane
or some member of the family in their increasingly desperate efforts
to separate the engaged couple. In short, this was becoming
intolerable. Something needed to be done.
What was worse, Nabiki's position in the shinobi community had
been called into question by the other elders of the clans. Many of
them feared her and her Cold Moon Clan, because Nabiki and the late
Sodoshi Tanaka were the only living people who had entered the
mysterious monk's cave. Only Nabiki lived to tell what she had found
but her tale was not universally believed.
Nabiki angrily shoved a sweater into her suitcase as she thought
of how the suspicions of the elders had already cost her the spirit of
her mother, who was now condemned to spend eternity guarding the
imprisonment of the mad elder Fukoono deep under a mountain in
Hokkaido and probably the life of the only real friend she ever had,
Sodoshi Tanaka.
She scowled as she noticed on her bed the 'summons' she'd
received the previous day. Thinking about the way they 'ordered' her
to appear before the Grand Council of Elders made her blood boil once
again. How dare they do this! After all she'd been through because
of their cowardice, they were still arrogant to demand she answer
their unspecified charges.
Then there was the issue of Kenji Watanabe, the former Tokyo
Police Officer who went bad. The escaped conspirator who attempted to
trick Kasumi into marrying him, was only stopped when he attempted to
push his plans too fast and endangered the life of Jeff Lawrence.
She sighed again, louder this time, as she lamented how
complicated her life had become since she'd married Jeff Lawrence.
Sure, his fortune had been a comforting factor. But even his millions
couldn't bring back her mother, Sodoshi Tanaka, or make all her other
problems go away.
"Mommy?"
Sodoshi's tiny voice caused Nabiki to turn towards her diminutive
daughter. Dressed in her Sailor Moon nightshirt, Sodoshi was standing
next to the bed holding her stuffed kitty and looking at her mother
with a worried expression.
"Mommy? Are you going away?" Her voice was plaintive and
searching for comfort. Nabiki had missed such an opportunity once
before. She wasn't going to miss it again.
Dropping to her knees, she gathered the tot into her arms and
hugged her warmly.
"Yes, So-chan. Mommy has to go to see Aunt Akane. She needs my
help." Nabiki's voice was barely above a whisper. "I won't be gone
long. I promise."
"Mommy? Is Aunt Akane sad?"
Nabiki was a bit taken aback by her daughter's directness. With
another sigh, she attributed that to her husband's influence and made
a note to talk to him about it when she got back.
"Yes, honey. Aunt Akane is very sad."
Sodoshi squirmed slightly, like she was trying to get her arms
free. Nabiki loosened her hold on the child. Without hesitation,
Sodoshi held up her stuffed kitty to her mother.
"Neko-chan sad too. Maybe... maybe she make Aunt Akane happy."
Nabiki fought a pitiful look as the enormity of her daughter's
offered sacrifice settled over her. Neko-chan was Sodoshi's favorite.
Outside of all the stuffed dolphins she had in her room, this little
stuffed kitty was her constant sleeping companion. Every night she
found comfort in her little stuffed friend.
"I can't take your kitty, So-chan," Nabiki protested. "She'd be
lonely without you."
"But Aunt Akane --"
"Would be cheered up just as much if you drew her a special
picture." Nabiki added a crooked little smile to reinforce her
argument. "How about a picture of her and Uncle Ranma and little Ami-chan?"
"With Aunt Kasumi and Uncle Tofu?" Sodoshi asked with her big
brown eyes shining in the light of the bedroom.
"That would be perfect."
"Okay, Mommy." Sodoshi hugged her mother one more time before
scampering past her father as she headed for her room to get her
colors.
Jeff leaned against the door frame for a few moments and smiled
at his wife who was still on her knees watching her daughter's
departure.
"You did that real well, my wife."
Nabiki sighed again and stood up. "I'm getting better, Jeffrey.
Someday maybe --" She paused and sniffed. She understood better now
how long the road ahead of her was. Unlike the other mothers she
knew, Nabiki had started from a distinct disadvantage - the lack of a
mother of her own while she was growing up.
Jeff took that as his clue and he quickly crossed to take her
into his arms. Grateful for something to hold on to in a moment of
need, she snuggled against him, wrapping her arms tightly around his
body. She fought back a shudder.
"I'm just so tired of all this," she softly moaned into his
chest. "Why won't they just leave us alone?"
"I can't answer that, Nabs. Things sometimes happen beyond our
control." He paused to stroke her hair softly. "You're an elder now,
an equal among those you're going to meet with. They can do nothing
to you unless you let them. Remember that."
Nabiki sniffed again and gritted her teeth. She may have been an
elder but she was certainly a reluctant one. She was only 22, barely
old enough to be a proper shadow warrior. Were she in a proper clan,
she wouldn't be expected to shoulder such responsibilities until she
was much older and better trained.
"Also remember that you have allies. 'Allies come in many forms.
Use them wisely.'"
"That sounds like something that crazy old man would say."
Nabiki's voice accurately conveyed her dislike for Jeff's elderly
mentor.
"Even Master Sato can be an ally. Don't reject his help until
he's proven otherwise."
Nabiki shuddered as she considered her husband's counsel. She
might not like Sato very much but understood he was not without
influence. Having an ally on the inside might just give her an
important edge in the coming confrontation.
"What about my sister's problem?"
"Well, I've always been told that when a problem looks impossible
from a particular point of view, change your point of view."
Nabiki loosened her hold on her husband so that she could look
him in the face. "Change my point of view?"
"All I mean is try to look at the problem from another angle."
"You mean instead of trying to deal with the fiancees, I should
deal with Ranma and Akane." Nabiki disengaged herself entirely. The
thought intrigued her. Only an American would suggest that there
would be numerous angles from which to successfully attack a problem.
Nabiki's nimble mind was soon actively rearranging her perspective to
attack the problem from a fresh viewpoint. As she thought, she paced
the room. "The only sure way of settling the problem is for them to
get married. We tried *that* once before."
"Yeah, I heard. Not very successful was it?" Jeff calmly noted
as he walked over to her dresser. He too was engaging his total
attention to the problem.
He was idly looking at all the things on her dresser when his eye
caught on the 'promise tanto' mounted on its little black lacquered
stand.
"Nabiki?" The tone of Jeff's voice caused Nabiki to stop pacing
and look at her husband. "Just what constitutes a married couple in
Japan?"
"Jeffrey, you know full well --" Nabiki paused as if a really
terrific idea struck her. As the seconds ticked off, her eyes
narrowed and her usual sardonic smile reappeared.
Jeff caught his wife's expression and he, too, began to smile.
Together, they grinned at each other.
"I'll have the tickets in your hands by morning, my love." Jeff
chuckled out loud as he turned to find his computer.
Nabiki nodded then turned back to her packing. Her movements
were much lighter, more direct. She had a plan now. It wasn't a
complete plan but it had genuine potential. She could work out the
details on the plane but the more she thought of it now, the better it
sounded.
"Yes, my love. It might just work."

Sodoshi finished her picture and smiled at the results. It was
perfect. There was Aunt Akane, Uncle Ranma, little Ami-chan standing
in the garden next to Aunt Kasumi and Uncle Tofu. She chuckled at how
she drew Tofu's glasses so big. Another figure in the picture caused
her to scowl. She couldn't remember drawing the tall female with the
two pony tails in her hair. And what was that thing on her back?
Sodoshi yawned and gave up trying to remember when she drew the
strange lady. She'd just give the picture the way it was to Mommy in
the morning.
As she climbed into her bed, her mind kept wandering back to the
strange woman in her picture. She seemed so... familiar. As Sodoshi
closed her eyes and tried to welcome sleep, her mind continued to work
on the identity of the strange woman. She wished she knew who it was.
She hadn't been in bed very long when a flash of bright light
forced its way past her tightly closed eyes. Irritated at being
interrupted in her attempt to fall asleep, she hugged her Neko-chan
and rubbed her eyes. As the light refused to go away, she sat up and
stared in the direction it seemed to be coming from. What she saw
caused her eyes to pop wide open.
Standing off the end of her bed was a tall woman, with two long
pony tails trailing down the front of her. The woman slowly crossed
her arms and stared at Sodoshi. She looked exactly like the girl in
Sodoshi's picture.
Sodoshi gasped softly, her eyes wide and her mouth open in
surprise.
"Who --"
"I am your guardian spirit - the one you are named for." The
ghost's voice seemed to come from everywhere.
"How --"
"You summoned me, Sodoshi. I came when you called."
That was all the child could take. Throwing her covers over her
head, she screamed in terror.
"DADDY! MOMMY!"

Nabiki heard her daughter's screams. Correctly surmising that
this was no simple 'spider in her room' or 'bad dream', Nabiki dropped
everything immediately and dashed for her daughter's room. She almost
collided with Jeff as she squeezed through the suddenly too narrow
door to get to her daughter.
"What is it, sweetheart?"
As Nabiki announced her presence, Sodoshi uncovered herself and
frantically grabbed at her mother.
"Mommy, a strange woman. There." Sodoshi sobbed and pointed to
where the spirit of Sodoshi Tanaka once stood.
Nabiki cast a quick, nervous glance at her husband before
returning to comforting her daughter. Jeff did what any responsible
father would do; a quick search of her room, more to satisfy the
little girl than with any expectation of actually finding anything or
anyone.
"It was just a bad dream, So-chan," Nabiki cooed as she rocked
the still sobbing little girl in her arms. "It's all over. The
strange woman is gone now."
"She come back," Sodoshi blubbered as she wiped her nose on her
mother's shoulder.
"Did she say anything?" Jeff asked as he bent over the two
females. Nabiki shot her husband a severe warning look. Even *she*
knew this was no time to interrogate the frightened child.
"She said I call her. She said my name." Sodoshi broke back
into shuddering sobs and clung to her mother like a demon or something
might take her if she didn't.
"It's okay, So-chan. We're here now. She won't come back."
Nabiki tried to quiet the frightened child. She wasn't certain if she
was doing it the right way but as long as it continued to 'feel'
right, she figured she was doing okay.
"Mommy? I... I wanna sleep with you and Daddy?" Sodoshi looked
at her father while making the request.
Nabiki cast only a cursory glance Jeff's way before answering her
daughter. "Of course you may."
Sodoshi hugged her mother once more and scampered from her room,
wanting to put as much distance between herself and the place where
the 'ghost' appeared.
"I thought Sodoshi Tanaka could only appear when summoned," Jeff
noted with a scowl.
"It's obviously a mistake. The child stumbled across how to
summon her spirit by accident. It won't happen again." Nabiki tried
to sound convinced even if she wasn't.
"Maybe you should have a little 'talk' with this 'guardian
spirit' of yours." Jeff folded his arms and scowled back at his wife.
"After all, you *are* the clan's surviving elder."
Nabiki scowled back at her husband. He knew full well how much
she disliked all this 'Shinobi' business. Calling her an 'elder'
didn't help matters any.
Still, he had a point. Sodoshi Tanaka had to be warned against
scaring their daughter. No more appearances until the child was old
enough to understand what was going on.
With a sigh, Nabiki stood up, crossed her arms and began tapping
her foot.
"Okay Tanaka. You can come out now."
Slowly a white figure shimmered into view next to the scowling
Nabiki.
"Greetings clan sister," Sodoshi Tanaka said in a pleasant but
ethereal voice. "It has been some time since you've summoned me --"
"I've NEVER summoned you, Sodoshi."
"Ah, well, that might explain why it's been so long."
"Tanaka, I don't want you scaring my daughter." Nabiki waved a
finger in front of Sodoshi Tanaka's face.
"But she summoned me --"
"Ignore her!"
"But I can't do that."
"Look you." Nabiki took a step closer to the spirit. "I won't
have you scaring the whits out of my daughter by popping in every time
she has a stray thought --"
Nabiki was interrupted by the sight of Jeffrey holding up the
picture little Sodoshi had completed earlier. Snatching it out of his
hands, she glared at the drawing before scowling at the ghost again.
"Just how did you manage *this*?" Nabiki held up the picture for
Sodoshi Tanaka to see.
"Not a very good likeness, I'll admit --"
"Who cares?!? How did you get her to draw a picture of you if
she's never seen you?"
The spirit just shrugged her shoulders. "What makes you think
*I* had anything to do with it?"
Nabiki's 'are-you-nuts' look might have gotten an answer except
that it was interrupted by a tiny sound from the doorway. The two
adults and the spirit froze, their eyes wide with surprise before
slowly turning to see little Sodoshi in the doorway, staring at the
ghost with big, round eyes.
"Good going, loud mouth," Sodoshi Tanaka taunted Nabiki with
crossed arms. "You really know how to keep a secret."
As everyone seemed to be preoccupied with their shock, Jeff
reached down and picked up his dumbfounded daughter. Like a typical
American, he decided to address the problem head-on.
"So-chan? I want you to meet Sodoshi Tanaka." Jeff gestured
towards the spirit. "She's a ghost. You are named after her. She
used to be your mother's best friend and was the last ninja of your
mother's clan. Do you understand?"
Sodoshi slowly shook her head, her eyes still huge and fixed on
the ghost.
"Okay, let's try this... You have the same name as this ghost
because she is your guardian spirit. She is here to protect you from
harm. She can only appear when you call her." Jeff turned to the
spirit, his voice becoming demanding. "Isn't that right?"
Tanaka looked between the scowling Nabiki and the glaring Jeff
before answering nervously. "Oh, absolutely."
"And the ghost is not going to come back again tonight. Right?"
Jeff glared at Sodoshi Tanaka's ghost.
Holding two fingers up like she was taking a pledge. "You have
my word."
"Because the ghost has someplace else she needs to be. Right?"
"Oh, you bet. Big party at... ah, John Lennon's place. All the
big names will be there. Elvis, Jimmy Hendrix, Beethoven --"
"You know Elvis?" Nabiki asked like she was surprised.
"Trust me, kid. You wouldn't like him." Sodoshi leaned over and
answered conspiratorially. "Still drinks like a fish."
Through all this little Sodoshi continued to scowl and stare at
the ghost. It looked like she was trying to make up her mind whether
to be scared or not. Certainly the sight of her mother arguing with
the ghost should have been enough to calm her fears. At least, it was
enough to assure her that the ghost was not something to be afraid of.
In any case, the child was clearly between emotions.
"Sodoshi?" Nabiki scowled at the spirit. "Hit the road. We'll
take care of our daughter."
"Okie doakie." Sodoshi Tanaka grinned at her tiny namesake and
wiggled her fingers before disappearing. "Bai-bai."
Little Sodoshi instinctively started to wave back before the
reality of what she was doing caused her to reconsider. She scowled
at the departing spirit, her little mind still trying to fit all the
pieces together.
"Alright, little lady," Nabiki said in a motherly way. "You've
had enough for one night. Go crawl into our bed."
Sodoshi pointed to her stuffed kitty. She needed her sleeping
companion in order to fall asleep properly.
With a sigh, Nabiki fetched her daughter's favorite stuffed toy
and handed it to her as Jeff set the little girl on the floor.
Without so much as a 'good night', Sodoshi ran for her parents room
like a ghost was after her.
For several seconds Jeff just stared at his wife.
"It was just an accident," she protested when she caught him
looking at her. "It won't happen again."
"I certainly hope so. We have enough complications around here
without adding an out-of-control ghost to the mix." Jeff shook his
head in disgust. "I'm going back to my office."
Nabiki glided up to her husband before he could depart and gently
kissed him on the cheek.
"It won't happen again. I promise."
With an unsure smile, Jeff hugged his wife and quietly departed
for the room which served as his office away from his office. Nabiki
returned to her packing.

In her parent's bedroom, Sodoshi lay perfectly still in the
middle of the king-sized bed, the covers pulled up to her nose. Her
eyes slowly scanned the room looking for ghosts.
Her first encounter with the ghost scared her. After her mother
confronted the ghost, she felt more certain that it wasn't something
that wanted to hurt her. Still, it was a ghost.
Sodoshi again remembered her father's favorite saying. <Control
your fear and you can control your environment.> That was okay for
balance beams and stuff, but this was a ghost. Sodoshi swallowed hard
and scowled at every shadow and dark corner in the room. Slowly, she
became less afraid. After all, the ghost acted friendly enough. And
she had the same name as Sodoshi. That alone started the girl's
curiosity working.
For almost 30 long minutes, Sodoshi pondered what to do next.
She thought of what she did the last time the ghost appeared and toyed
with the idea of repeating the process.
That plan quickly dissolved as she recalled the picture she had
drawn was back in her bedroom. She scowled as further plans were
conceived and quickly dropped as being impractical or, at least,
beyond what she could do in her parent's bed. Besides, the thought of
summoning up the ghost again caused her little tummy to growl.
Pulling her stuffed kitty out from under the covers, she held it up
and stared into its button eyes.
"Are you scared, Neko-chan?" Slowly, her eyes wandered from her
stuffed companion and across the room. "I am."
Like the first time she tried the big-girl balance beam in the
gym, Sodoshi closed her eyes and controlled her fear. It was just a
ghost, after all. Not something that could actually hurt her. And
she talked so nicely when she woke her up. Maybe, she was a nice
ghost.
With her mind made up, Sodoshi hugged her kitty and thought about
the ghostly spirit with the long pony-tails. It took only a moment
for her to obtain results.
With a flash of light, Sodoshi heard a soft voice.
"You summoned me again?"
Sodoshi blinked at the brightness caused by the ghost's
appearance.
"Too bright," she mumbled as she shielded her eyes with an arm.
"I'm sorry, So-chan." Slowly the light faded to a dull glow.
"Is this better?"
Sodoshi nodded her head as she lowered her arm and carefully
looked the ghost over. She was tall and exceptionally beautiful with
long pony tails bound with silver ribbons trailing down her chest
almost to her knees. She was dressed in a white version of a shinobi
warrior's clothes with a sword strapped to her back.
"Are you really a ghost?"
"Yes. You were but a gleam in your mother's eye when I died."
"Are you sad?"
"Not really." The ghost grinned. "I miss my friends, especially
your mother, but I no longer have the pain I lived with for so many
years."
"Oh." Sodoshi lowered her head and scowled at the bed sheets.
"Are you really friendly?"
"I am your guardian spirit, here to protect you and guide you in
the ways of our people."
"What people?"
"You are the last of a long line of shadow warriors. For
centuries, Japan knew and feared the warriors of the Cold Moon Clan."
The ghost's eyes seemed to flash with pride as she talked. "Your
mother is the last elder of our clan."
"Elder? Mommy not old."
The ghost laughed, her beautiful smile causing her to glow
brighter for a moment before settling back to her normal dull
radiance. "I mean your mother is the last leader of our people and
you are the last of our shadow warriors."
"I too little." Sodoshi pouted as she cuddled her Neko-chan.
"Yes, but some day you will be big like me and become the most
feared shadow warrior of all time."
"Daddy says I shouldn't fight. I'm not supposed to tell anyone
about him and Mommy, either." Sodoshi pouted at the ghost. She had
been right about her, she was friendly.
"Well, your daddy is correct about not telling people about us.
They wouldn't understand and people fear what they don't understand."
"Like ghosts?"
"Like ghosts." The spirit smiled again. Sodoshi concluded she
was going to like this strange lady who glowed and could appear and
disappear. "But your father is also wrong. Fighting is not bad. You
just have to learn when to fight and when not to fight."
"How will I know?"
"Leave that part of your education to me."
"Like going to school?" Sodoshi wrinkled her nose in an age-old
childish gesture to indicate her dislike at having to go to school.
"Kind of, only we'll find more fun ways to learn. Okay?"
Sodoshi quickly nodded her agreement and the two giggled like a
pair of school-girls on a sleep over.

Jeff, hearing his daughter's voice coming from their bedroom,
wearily wandered down the hall while reminding himself he needed to be
patient with the child.
As he approached the room, he noticed a glow coming from inside.
Thinking Sodoshi had turned on the TV, he sighed and entered the room.
What he found caused him to pause, an incredulous look on his face.
"Hi Daddy," his daughter chirped. "This is my friend Sodoshi."
She giggled over calling the ghost by her own name.
Jeffrey wasn't amused. "NABIKI!"
It took only a few heartbeats for Nabiki to arrive in the
bedroom. Screeching to a stop just inside the door, she planted her
fists on her hips and scowled at the ghost before her.
"I thought you agreed no more tonight!"
"But So-chan summoned me."
"IGNORE HER!"
"But --"
"And why are you in my bedroom? You promised!" Nabiki's stunned
look added emphasis to her protest.
The ghost looked around quickly and reacted like she had just
noticed where she was.
"Oooops," she mumbled before blinking out of sight.
Nabiki scowled at her husband before crossing over to the bed.
Sodoshi had ducked under the covers to hide when her mother had first
stormed into the room. Her body was now a tiny lump under the covers.
"Alright, little lady," Nabiki called with an exasperated voice
as she sat on the edge of the bed. "You can come out now."
Slowly, Sodoshi's little head poked out from under the covers.
Her scared expression only caused Nabiki to scowl in response.
"So-chan, you've got to stop 'summoning' this ghost. People
won't understand."
"I love you, Mommy."
"Give it up, kid. That only works on your daddy."
"I love you, Daddy."
Jeff replied with a sick smile which quickly faded when Nabiki
scowled his way. It was clear, Sodoshi had learned well from her
mother.
"It's not going to work on him either."
"But Mommy, the ghost is nice and she has my name."
"I know, So-chan," Nabiki sighed. "Sodoshi Tanaka was my best
friend. She saved my life once. I still love her like my own
sister." Nabiki paused as an annoyed look came over her face. "I
just didn't expect to have to deal with her spirit for a couple more
years yet."
"Did I do something wrong?" Sodoshi's tiny voice betrayed her
fear of failing her mother. It was an expression that melted Nabiki's
heart.
"No, sweetheart. You had no way of knowing about Sodoshi Tanaka.
Just promise me you won't summon her any more unless I'm there with
you." Nabiki lightly brushed some hair from in front of her
daughter's face.
"Okay, Mommy."
"Now," Nabiki kissed her daughter's forehead and stood up next to
the bed. "You need to get your sleep. You have school tomorrow."
"Okay, Mommy." Sodoshi snuggled down under the covers, her
little head nestled on a fluffy pillow while Nabiki finished tucking
the her in.
After 'good-nights' were passed back and forth, Jeff and Nabiki
quietly left the room and closed the door.
"Good-night," Sodoshi whispered once again to a friend she could
no longer see.
"Good-night, my little warrior," came a whispered reply that
seemed to come from no where and everywhere at the same time.

***** 1 *****

Nabiki arrived bright and early at St. Catherine's Pre-School
with her daughter in tow. She happily guided Sodoshi through the
front doors like she was going someplace familiar and welcome.
Sodoshi, however, toddled along, finger in mouth and scowling at all
the people coming and going. She was unsure of all the commotion, put
off a bit because it wasn't the same kind of crowd she encountered at
her gymnastics school.
Nabiki, determined not to go through a crying, clutching
departure that was so common among the other children and mothers,
quickly found the proper classroom. It took her only a few other
moments to find a teacher to turn Sodoshi over to.
"Obey your teachers," Nabiki advised with a pat on Sodoshi's
head. Sodoshi's response was traditional and correct. She bowed
quickly and deeply enough to convey exactly the right amount of
respect Nabiki insisted from her daughter.
Satisfied that Sodoshi was well taken care of, Nabiki abruptly
departed. She still had some packing to do and a few arrangements to
complete before her plane left that afternoon.
Sodoshi stared at the door her mother departed through for only a
few moments before allowing the teacher to guide her over to where a
bunch of other children were playing. After a brief introduction, the
teacher affixed a label on Sodoshi's shirt with her name on it and
left her to play until the first class session was to begin.
Spying other girls sitting around a table coloring, Sodoshi
decided to join them and color another picture for her Aunt Akane.
Finding the big box of colors was no trouble but paper proved to be
more difficult than she imagined. Finding the drawing paper bin
empty, she looked at the trio of girls, each with a small stack of
paper, industriously drawing away at a little table. Approaching
them, Sodoshi bowed politely as she'd been taught and asked for some
paper.
"No! This is mine. Go away," one growled with a firm jaw as she
covered her little pile of paper with her arms. The others did the
same, only without the verbal refusal but with the same, firm-jawed
look of determination.
This was all new to Sodoshi. She was raised to believe that
sharing was very important. She always shared with others and they
always were willing to share with her. She couldn't understand why
these girls refused to let her have a couple of sheets of their paper.
With a grimace, Sodoshi turned to the nearest Teacher Assistant who
quickly found a couple of sheets of typing paper and sat her down at
another table to draw.
Her peace was short lived. A small group of boys, behaving like
kids who made a habit of watching too much television, were
duplicating the moves seen on a certain children's show that featured
candy colored heros who used martial arts moves to defeat their
enemies. Sodoshi tried to ignore them but when one boy, a rather
large child for one his age, slammed into the back of her chair and
caused her to ruin the picture she was working on, Sodoshi spun around
to confront her assailant.
"Clumsy," she accused while flashing her own version of her
mother's 'look of warning'.
"You clumsy," he challenged. "I'm a ninja."
Sodoshi wrinkled her nose at such a brash claim. "Are not."
"Am too." The boy, as if to prove his claim, lashed out with a
clumsy kick at the chair next to Sodoshi. It didn't break. It didn't
even fall over. All he accomplished was to make it scoot a few inches
across the floor.
"You no ninja." Sodoshi dismissed the boy by turning back around
in her chair and contemplating the damage to her drawing.
"Am too," the boy repeated as he balled his fists. "You just a
girl. Girls not ninjas. I'm a ninja."
Sodoshi started coloring again but that was just a cover for her
response. "Girls can be ninjas too."
"Can not!" the boy insisted as he rounded to table to confront
Sodoshi. "Only boys can be ninjas. Stupid girl."
That was all Sodoshi could take. "Can too! My Mommy's a ninja!"
Sodoshi's loud declaration caused that part of the room to go
suddenly quiet. This is, until the laughter began.
"Liar!" The boy struck a menacing pose and glared at Sodoshi.
"Your mommy not a ninja!"
"Is too!" Sodoshi fumed. "My daddy is too."
The laughter only grew in volume. The girls sitting at the table
next to Sodoshi huddled together, whispering and giggling. It was
clear to Sodoshi the laughter was at her expense.
The boy who started all the trouble began a chant among his
friends. "Liar, liar!"
Sodoshi pouted at the table and watched as the girls broke up and
started circulating around the room. Everywhere they went, they would
whisper something and point Sodoshi's way. The boys gathered with
other boys who picked up the chant. Sodoshi's shame and anger at
being singled out like this had the predictable results. She began to
cry.
That lasted only long enough for her to remember her mother's
warning. 'Never let them see you cry.' She sniffed a couple of times
and fought her natural reactions. But it was hard, very hard.
To Sodoshi's relief, one of the Teacher Assistants quickly
arrived to break up the commotion. But the damage had already been
done. In minutes, everyone in the room knew her simply as the 'Ninja
Girl'. Sodoshi retreated inwardly, as she'd always done, to hide from
the pain and humiliation.
This was not starting out to be a good day for her at St.
Catherine's.

Nabiki had just finished packing and was going over her checklist
one more time when the phone rang. It was the school. They needed
for her to come down and talk to the Head Teacher. It was something
that had to do with Sodoshi.
With obvious irritation, Nabiki checked her watch and agreed to
stop by on the way to the airport. She couldn't imagine what had
happened. Sodoshi seemed alright when she left. Maybe they just
wanted to congratulate her on having such an advanced child.
A half hour later, Nabiki's cab pulled up in front of the school
and Nabiki instructed the driver to wait. Striding purposefully into
the building, she presented all the airs of one who was in a hurry.
She had a plane to catch.
Ushered into a small conference room, Nabiki immediately tried to
rally whatever allies she could by asking to see Sister Angelica.
Unfortunately, the young nun was not available as she'd gone to a
meeting up at Chaminade. Right away, Nabiki didn't like the odds.
Moments later, a smiling older lady entered the room carrying a
folder. After greeting Nabiki and introducing herself as the Head
Teacher, the two women sat down.
"I'm sorry to call you in on such short notice but there's been a
problem with your daughter."
Nabiki's eyes narrowed. Her daughter was a perfectly disciplined
little girl. Sodoshi knew better than to cause trouble in school. So
Nabiki immediately suspected something else was the matter.
"Earlier this morning, just after you departed, your daughter
apparently had a minor altercation with some other students."
"Then I'm sure the other students have been appropriately
disciplined for their actions." Nabiki was so certain that the
trouble couldn't possibly have been her daughter's fault that she felt
confident at taking the offensive.
"Well, it's not all that simple." The Head Teacher nervously
fingered the file she'd brought in. "We're not sure exactly what
happened but the results are what have us concerned."
Nabiki continued to look at the teacher with her 'business face'.
She didn't have time for all this. She had a plane to catch. "What
is the problem?"
"Yes, well, soon after the altercation, we discovered your
daughter would only respond to people speaking Japanese to her. More
to the point, she insisted on speaking only Japanese in the
classroom."
Nabiki's eyes narrowed again. Her look had become almost
predatory.
"In any case, if it wasn't for the fact one of our Teaching
Assistants, Mrs. Yamaguchi, is also Japanese, we wouldn't have been
able to communicate with the child at all." She paused and nervously
tugged at her necklace. "According to her folder, I was lead to
believe she spoke English."
"She does." Nabiki's flat voice clearly conveyed the shifting
focus of her growing anger.
"Well, we were wondering just why she refuses to speak English
here."
Nabiki checked her watch again and sighed her exasperation. She
*really* didn't have time for this.
"We were wondering if you would speak to the child and convince
her to use her English while here in the school. We would very much
appreciate it."
Nabiki's incredulous look quickly dissolved into one of
impatience as she nodded her agreement.
Relieved, the Head Teacher smiled and left the room for a moment.
Nabiki, always on the lookout for some angle to give her the upper
hand, quickly reached for the folder and scanned its contents. If she
expected to find anything there that might shed some light on
Sodoshi's behavior, she was disappointed. There was nothing more in
there than the basics about Sodoshi and her family. She barely had
time to restore the folder to its original place on the table before
the door opened again.
When Sodoshi caught sight of her mother, her eyes went wide and
she jerked to a halt. After bowing in a proper manner to her mother,
she was urged into the room by gentle pressure applied by the Head
Teacher's hand.
Nabiki decided to get this over as quickly as possible.
"Sodoshi, I do not understand why you are doing this but it is
unacceptable. Any further such actions will bring shame on your
family name. I want you to stop this foolishness and return to class.
You will speak only English while here. Do you understand?"
"Hai." Nabiki's stiffened posture at her daughter's choice of
words caused Sodoshi to quickly correct herself. "Yes mother."
The Head Teacher smiled her gratitude and directed the Teacher
Assistant to escort Sodoshi to another class.
"We feel it would be easier on her if she were put into another
class where this unfortunate incident would not cause her future
trouble."
Nabiki, certain the problem was solved, hastily noted she had to
leave but the teacher paused her just inside the door.
"There is one other thing. Mrs. Yamaguchi said the child had
been talking about 'ninjas' and how you and her father are ninjas."
The teacher chuckled softly to herself. Nabiki's face just lost all
its expression. "Of course, we all know such things are just the
product of some Hollywood writer's overactive imagination. Ninjas
died out centuries ago."
Nabiki, mindful of her own shinobi clan position, just stared at
the teacher with a blank face. "Of course."
"Well, I'm so pleased we had this little discussion. I'm very
sorry we couldn't have met under more pleasant circumstances." The
Head Teacher escorted Nabiki back to the front doors. "I understand
you're taking a trip."
"I'm going back to Japan for business."
"Oh, you're in business then?"
"You could say that." Nabiki opened the door and paused. "My
Shinobi clan has been summoned before the Grand Council of Elders. It
would seem they have some 'ninja' questions to ask me. Probably
nothing. After all, we've been extinct for centuries. Good day."
Nabiki's departure left a stunned Head Teacher staring blankly
out the door after her.
"Well, at least we know where the child gets it from," she
muttered.

***** 2 *****

Jeff picked up his daughter after work. As usual, he was
talkative and jovial. Sodoshi, however, was quieter than normal.
"Anything interesting happen in school today?" Jeff looked and
sounded almost disinterested, despite his intense interest.
Sodoshi answered by simply shrugging her shoulders and scowling
out the window of their Cherokee. She was still smarting from being
laughed at. She'd never been laughed at before. She didn't know how
to handle it.
"No troubles?" Jeff glanced at his daughter. He knew something
was wrong. Nabiki had called him from the airport. She didn't tell
him everything but what she did say left him most concerned.
"Daddy," Sodoshi paused and bit her lip nervously. "Why can't I
tell people about you and Mommy?"
Jeff grimaced and gripped the steering wheel a little tighter.
He anticipated having this discussion with Sodoshi when she was seven
or eight years-old. At almost four, she was obviously way ahead of
her parents.
"You mean, why can't you tell people about your Shinobi family."
Jeff's voice accurately conveyed his exasperation with the entire
subject. Even some of his friends had begun to suspect that there was
more about him than he usually showed. While he expected to have to
deal with such questions, it was unfair for Sodoshi to be expected to
do the same at her age.
Sodoshi kicked her little legs in her car seat so that the heels
of her sneakers bumped the Cherokee's bucket seat. "I guess so."
"So-chan, stop kicking the seat." Jeff held a hand out to gently
halt the tyke's assault on his car's upholstery. "People, especially
people in this country, don't really understand about most things
Japanese. They especially don't understand about 'ninja' things."
Jeff stopped the Cherokee at a red light and looked directly at
his daughter.
"Just remember: What people don't understand --"
"-- people fear," Sodoshi finished for her father. His stunned
look caused her to drop her eyes and scowl at the Cherokee's floor.
"Where on earth did you learn that?"
"Spirit-Sodoshi taught me last night in your room." Sodoshi's
eyes were still on the floor but her expression had changed to
hopeful.
Jeff was about to say something when a honk from behind reminded
him that the light had changed. With an irritated look, he turned
back to his driving.
"What else did Spirit-Sodoshi tell you?"
"Fighting is not bad." Sodoshi's nonchalant answer sounded
almost like a challenge to Jeff.
"Sodoshi, you're too young. For now, if you feel threatened, let
a teacher or some other adult handle it." He glanced at his daughter
to see if she was listening. Her sideways quizzical look told him she
was. "I don't want you in any fights. You'll get hurt."
Sodoshi frowned.
"Do you understand?" Jeff asked with a sideways glance.
"Okay, Daddy."
Jeff's smile grew as he convinced himself he'd just done a good
job at parenting - Shinobi parenting at that. "Pizza tonight okay?"
"Hai!"

That night, while Sodoshi lay in her own bed, she thought about
what her father had told her. In the car, it sounded all so simple.
It was only after she thought about it for awhile that questions
became evident. With Mommy gone, Sodoshi turned to the only second
opinion she knew of.
"You seem troubled my little warrior," Sodoshi Tanaka's voice
sounded soothingly in the little girl's ears.
"Daddy says I shouldn't fight."
Sodoshi Tanaka looked at the tiny child with an expression of
pity. "Your father means well. But he is not of our clan and doesn't
understand *our* heritage."
Little Sodoshi scowled at her spirit-guardian. She didn't
totally understand.
"You must never allow someone to take advantage of you. If
challenged, you *must* fight. Do you understand?"
The child slowly nodded. She didn't like the conflicting
information she'd received this day. On one hand, her father was dead
set against her fighting. But her spirit-guardian was insistent that
there were times when fighting was an absolute necessity.
Confused, Sodoshi rolled over clutching her Neko-chan and tried
to sleep. Her spirit-guardian obediently departed, leaving the child
alone with her thoughts and her rumbling tummy.

The next day at school, things seemed to go better. Her new
class had nice people in it and nothing out of the ordinary happened.
Well, nothing out of the ordinary for Sodoshi anyway.
She was troubled about the apparent conflict between her father's
advice and that of her guardian spirit. So troubled that she risked
summoning Sodoshi Tanaka during a recess period.
Nervously, Sodoshi snuck back into her classroom and looked
around to make sure she was alone. To make doubly sure she was out of
sight, she crept over to where the file cabinets, coat and hat racks
were. With a deep breath, Sodoshi closed her eyes and concentrated as
hard as she could. It took only a moment for her guardian spirit to
appear to her.
"I like your school," the spirit chirped as she looked around.
"Are your teachers nice?"
Nervously, Sodoshi cast a glance at the doors leading outside
where all the other children were noisily playing.
"Yes, very nice."
"Why did you summon me, my little warrior?"
"Daddy told me not to fight. What if the mean boys come back?"
"They are nothing. Ignore them."
"But they pick on me."
"They cannot hurt you with their words. Never let someone push
you into a fight that is not of your choosing."
"When should I fight?"
"I will tell you, So-chan. Listen for my voice. I will not
leave your side, my little warrior."
With that, Sodoshi Tanaka disappeared.

Now all this would not have been so remarkable if it wasn't for
two things. Sodoshi Tanaka's spirit was only observable by Sodoshi
and a handful of others and Sodoshi forgot about the funny room with
the mirrored windows. Inside, two graduate students were completing
their notes from the last class session when they saw little Sodoshi
sneak back into the classroom. What happened next was...
indescribable.
"Isn't that the little Lawrence girl?" one asked her companion as
she pointed out Sodoshi.
"Yes, I believe it is."
"Who's she talking to?"
"It would appear she's talking to... a hat rack."
The two students exchanged worried looks before frantically
taking notes as they watched Sodoshi's 'conversation'.
"Do you suppose this is something Professor Robinson would be
interested in?"
The two paused, staring at each other.
"Naw!" they said together as each tore out of their notebooks
their hastily scribbled notes on the situation. After all, who'd
believe them?

The rest of Sodoshi's week went quietly. That is, until Friday
when the classes mingled outside to play.
The boys who started all the trouble were once again playing
'ninja'. Upon spotting Sodoshi, they started with the 'ninja girl'
chant again. This time, however, her new classmates came to her aid.
All the girls in her class 'closed ranks' and stood by their new
friend. Whatever it was the boys were up to, the girls simply didn't
care. No one else appeared to either. To Sodoshi's new friends, the
trouble makers were just a couple of 'stupid boys'. It was easy to
dismiss and ignore them when you're in a group of friends.
However, the boys weren't through with Sodoshi. At the next
recess period, Sodoshi patiently lined up at the drinking fountain.
She didn't notice who was in front of her. She didn't notice who was
behind her. She especially didn't notice that all the teachers had
mysteriously disappeared. That's when the chants started again.
Sodoshi's eyes went wide when she realized her main tormentor was
the boy directly in front of her in the line. She saw him sneer at
her and heard him taunt her once again. She didn't hear the warnings
from her friends. She didn't see the boy on his hands and knees
behind her. She felt the bigger boy's hands on her shoulders. She
felt the sharp shove he delivered. Then she was falling, her hands
fruitlessly clutching at anything she could think of to catch herself.
She felt her body hit the hard surface of the floor. Her head snapped
back and cracked against its unyielding surface. She saw flashes
before her eyes from the impact. But most of all, she heard the
laughter. The boys who caused her pain were laughing. Many of the
other kids in the line were laughing as well.
Her head hurt. Where her body hit the floor hurt. She wanted to
cry but heard her mother's warning one more time.
<Never let them see you cry.>
She channeled her pain into her anger but that was tempered by
her father's voice.
<I don't want you in any fights.>
As she rolled on the floor, clutching her head, another voice cut
through everything else and screamed in her head.
<GET UP! GET UP! FIGHT BACK!> It was clearly her guardian
spirit's voice.
Sodoshi suddenly felt like someone else was controlling her,
making her arms and legs move without her assistance. She sprung to
her feet and assumed a traditional Shinobi warrior's stance. Her eyes
narrowed into angry slits. Her tiny muscles flexed in preparation and
anticipation. Her tormentor wasn't impressed.
"You look stupid." He decided to teach the girl a lesson.
His kick was barely underway when Sodoshi dropped to the floor
and executed a simple leg sweep, catching the boy off balance. This
was all the more remarkable because she'd never been taught how to do
such a move. Without a leg to stand on, the boy landed heavily,
driving the wind out of him. Sodoshi, however, just reassumed her
warrior's stance and glared at the boy as he quickly scrambled to his
feet, his face red with embarrassment and anger.
He said nothing but tried to punch Sodoshi in the face. With
timing she couldn't explain, she easily ducked the blow and struck the
boy in his stomach with her fist. She felt her hand go in almost to
her wrist. She saw his surprised look and watched as he collapsed
onto the floor, his arms wrapped around his midsection. She heard him
whimper in pain.
Then, it was as if whatever was controlling her suddenly let go.
She staggered back and blinked in disbelief at what she'd done. She
could hear the gasps of the other students, the whimpering of the
bully, and the pounding feet of those who were running to tell.
Somewhere behind her she heard a boy's voice.
"Wow! You ARE a ninja."

***** 3 *****

It was raining when Rachel Magnum answered the phone in her
office. It was St. Catherine's Pre-School and they were looking for
Mr. Lawrence.
"I'm sorry but Mr. Lawrence is in meetings all day and cannot be
disturbed for any reason." Rachel congratulated herself for sounding
so authoritative and business-like.
"We really need to get hold of Mr. Lawrence. It has to do with
his daughter."
"Is she alright?" Rachel's interest in the conversation was
suddenly heightened by the thought of little Sodoshi injured.
"She's fine. We just need Mr. Lawrence to pick her up as soon as
possible."
"I don't understand. If little Sodoshi is okay, why do you need
Mr. Lawrence to come and get her?"
"She's been in a small... altercation."
"You mean a fight?"
"Well, we prefer to call these things 'altercations'."
"Altercations - smaltercations. Who attacked Sodoshi?"
"It's not a matter of who started the altercation, Miss Magnum.
We just feel it would be best if she went home for the day."
"Well, Mrs. Lawrence is out of the country and Mr. Lawrence is in
conference."
"I understand your name is also on the list of approved persons
to pick up the child."
"Yes but --"
"We would really appreciate it if you could stop by in, say, 30
minutes to pick her up."
"Well --"
"Thank you ever so much. I'm sure the Lawrences will appreciate
this."
Rachel flinched slightly as the woman caller abruptly terminated
their conversation. Obviously they were intent on getting Jeffery's
child out of their school as soon as possible.
With a sigh, Rachel quickly prepared the office so she could
leave.
<First it was your wife's pregnancy. Then it was your wife's
rings. Now, I'm picking up your child.> Rachel turned out the lights
and locked the office door. <You don't pay me enough for this, Mr.
Lawrence.>
The drive over to St. Catherine's was a nightmare of rain,
tourists, and crazy island drivers. Needless to say, when Rachel
arrived at the school, she was in no mood for pleasantries.
Consequently, she quickly signed out Jeff's daughter and the two
made a mad dash for Rachel's little Honda.
Once inside the vehicle, the two girls dripped water and avoided
looking at each other. Rachel was still chaffing from having her
afternoon, and possibly her evening, ruined because of her employer's
kid. Sodoshi was profoundly embarrassed at being picked up in the
middle of the afternoon by Rachel.
With a heavy sigh, Rachel started the engine of her tiny car and
paused contemplating what to do with the little girl. She could just
drive her home and wait for Jeffrey to return. After all, she still
had a key to their home. The only wrinkle to her plan was that she
had no idea when Jeffrey would be home. And she had no intention of
spending her evening babysitting.
What she heard next changed her plans entirely.
Sodoshi Lawrence, who'd remained stoic after being pushed to the
floor and embarrassed in front of everyone by being hauled to the
office her first week in school, finally couldn't take it any more.
Bent over holding her head, Jeff's daughter was sobbing.
"Hey," Rachel cooed. "It's not that bad. Everyone gets into
fights now and then. It's nothing to be ashamed of."
Sodoshi's crying increased in intensity, as if she were releasing
three years of frustration and control in a single outburst. The
sight of a crying little girl triggered a natural reaction in Rachel.
Softly taking the child into her arms, she was surprised with how
tightly the little girl clung to her. In the arms of someone who
actually cared, Sodoshi cried even harder.
"Sorry Mommy," Sodoshi repeated between sobs. "I tried."
Rachel hugged the child as she listened to the girl offer
apologies to an absent mother. Dark thoughts of Nabiki Lawrence
renewed themselves. As she hugged the child tighter, her thoughts
became anger, anger at a mother who would do this to a child.
Sodoshi's crying also caused Rachel to recall memories of her own
lonely childhood. She remembered how her own mother tried to survive
after separating from her father and how she became a pawn in the
unpleasant battle between two parents. She could still feel the
emptiness in the pit of her stomach that she felt the nights when she
tried to sleep with the sounds of her mother entertaining other men in
the living room. It hurt bad enough knowing she disliked each and
every one of the men her mother brought home. It hurt even worse
because none of them were Daddy. Instinctively, Rachel hugged Sodoshi
tighter and bit her lip to control her own emotions.
She tried soothing words, tender hugs, and soft stroking of the
child's hair and back to reassure Sodoshi that she was with a friend.
"It's okay, Doshi. It's okay." Rachel's whispered words of
encouragement seemed to work as Sodoshi's crying slowed down to
occasional shudders and sniffs. The windows of the car steamed over
as the cold rain continued to fall, adding a depressing dimension to
the gloom of the rainy afternoon.
"Where Daddy?" Sodoshi asked between great gulps of air. Her
tear-stained cheeks framed her red, puffy eyes as she looked directly
into Rachel's.
"Your daddy is in some meetings until later." Rachel gently
smoothed the child's long, dark hair. "You want me to take you home?"
Sodoshi nodded and quietly climbed back into her own seat - her
control, at least or now, partially restored. Rachel buckled her in
and went about defogging her car's windows.
She had been afraid this would happen sooner or later. With both
parents devoted to their own lives, she was just surprised it took so
long for such a breakdown to occur.
Grimly, Rachel lowered her head to look out of the window. What
she saw clearly drew the distinction between the Lawrence family and
others. Through the few holes in the fog created by the car's
blowers, Rachel saw other parents picking up their kids. They seemed
so happy as they ran giggling through the late afternoon thunderstorm
to the safety of their cars. Rachel cast a look Sodoshi's way to
confirm her observations. It was clear something was terribly wrong
with this little girl's life.
With a scowl and a grunt, Rachel put her little Honda into gear
and pulled out of the school's parking lot. Sodoshi was still
breathing funny as she worked her way through the last of her tears.
Sadly, Rachel pulled out onto the main street and set off for the
Lawrence residence.
She kept glancing at Sodoshi, trying to think of what she could
do for the child. No matter how she tried, she kept coming back to
the point that she wasn't the child's parent. The first target of her
anger was the obvious one.
<Her mother is the one that's supposed to be here,> she glumly
thought. <It's not right Sodoshi's alone like this.> Rachel's mind
quickly changed targets to one that was much closer. <Damn you,
Jeffrey. YOU should be here. She's not MY child.> Rachel sniffed
out loud. <Dammit, meeting or no meeting. I'm calling him.>
Rachel picked up her car phone at the next red light and started
to dial. Her fingers froze when she noticed Sodoshi staring out the
front window. The expression on the child's face spoke of a
frightened, lonely child forced to face life with absentee parents.
Abruptly, Rachel turned off her phone.
"How would you like to spend the evening with me?" Rachel
surprised even herself with such a question. Her apartment wasn't
really a fit place to host a child Sodoshi's age but the look on the
child's face brought back so many lonely memories for Rachel that she
was determined *not* to leave the child alone for any reason tonight.
Sodoshi looked at Rachel with big, puffy eyes. It was as if she
was trying to make up her mind; to be the ever-in-control daughter of
Nabiki Tendo-Lawrence or the frightened little girl that she really
was. Finally, she nodded and tried to smile.
"We'll stop by your house and pick up a few things you'll need."
Rachel began feeling better about herself as the light turned green.
"We'll also stop and get some goodies to eat and some movies and have
a 'girls night', just you and me. Okay?"
Sodoshi's enthusiastic acceptance warmed Rachel's heart. She
might be giving up a quiet evening with some chilled wine and hot Tom
Selleck movies, but she was gaining a night where she would do
something for a little girl who desperately needed it.
They quickly swung by the darkened Lawrence residence and packed
a little bag for Sodoshi. After leaving a note on the kitchen counter
and a voice mail message on Jeffrey's answering service so he wouldn't
drive all the way over to the pre-school, they drove to a supermarket
near Rachel's apartment. It was one of those all inclusive mega food
chains that had everything from dry cleaning to banking inside. They
picked out a couple of Disney movies and bought some munchies and
drinks. Sodoshi acted as if she'd never been in a grocery store in
her life. Quietly, the child trailed along behind Rachel, a finger
nervously in her mouth as her head turned this way and that taking in
all the strange and new sights.
After a quick trip through the local McDonalds for dinner, they
dashed through the rain to Rachel's apartment.
Inside, Sodoshi helped Rachel put away the groceries before they
sat down to eat their fast-food dinner.
Sodoshi seemed to be her old self, giggling about little things
while she ate. Rachel got her talking about gymnastics and all her
friends at the gym. The enthusiastic way she described her class, her
teacher, and especially her new friends left Rachel glad she agreed to
bring Sodoshi home with her.
She also began to suspect she'd misjudged the situation with the
girl's parents. Sodoshi talked glowingly about how her daddy took her
places and played games with her while her mother often took her
shopping and to the gymnastics center. Rachel scowled at her food as
Nabiki's name came up. She still wasn't certain about Nabiki's
fitness as a mother but the more Sodoshi talked, the more it sounded
like Nabiki did everything she could for the child. Sodoshi made it
sound like her mother's current absence wasn't entirely her fault.
She was simply responding to the strong family ties Rachel always
heard were common among Asian families.
After dinner, they changed into their sleepwear, Sodoshi in her
Sailor Moon nightshirt and Rachel into a t-shirt and skimpy shorts.
As they settled onto the sofa to watch the first movie, Rachel caught
Sodoshi examining her closely.
"What's wrong?" Rachel asked with an uncertain smile.
"You so pretty," Sodoshi said in awe. "Like mommy."
Rachel giggled and pulled the little girl into a warm cuddle.
"Someday you'll be as pretty as your mommy."
"Hope so." Sodoshi didn't really sound very convinced as she
turned her head to look at the movie again.
"Why do you say that, honey?" Rachel bent her head to look
directly at the girl while stroking her long, black hair.
"Mommy pretty. Aunt Kasumi pretty. Aunt Akane pretty." Sodoshi
calmly named off those in her family with a degree of awe before
abruptly turning to look up at Rachel. "You pretty."
"You're very pretty too."
"No," Sodoshi softly insisted as she shook her head. "Not
pretty."
"You are little-girl pretty," Rachel said with her face real
close to Sodoshi's. "And some day you'll be even prettier than your
mother."
Sodoshi looked at Rachel carefully, like she was trying to gage
the truthfulness of Rachel's words. Finally, with a sigh, Sodoshi
settled back against Rachel's warm body. "Someday."
The rest of the evening was spent watching movies, eating snacks,
drinking soft drinks, and talking - especially talking. Sodoshi told
Rachel everything about the Tendos. Rachel remembered the physically
aggressive Akane from when Nabiki was pregnant and the brief meeting
she had with the oldest sister, Kasumi. She remembered how hard it
was reconciling that the two were sisters. But then, she remembered
that Nabiki was also one of the family and figured that it must have
had something to do with their mother dying when they were young. She
was in the midst of figuring out the three Tendo sisters when Sodoshi
said something especially interesting.
"And Uncle Ranma is pervert. Changes into a girl." Sodoshi
concluded her revelation with a giggle into her cupped hands.
Rachel's eyes popped wide open.
"Your uncle wears women's clothes?"
"No." Sodoshi shook her head like it was all so obvious. "He
*changes*."
"Changes?"
"Uh huh, from boy to girl."
While Rachel was continuing to struggle with *that* image,
Sodoshi dropped another bomb-shell.
"Spirit-Sodoshi told me I was her 'little warrior' and argued
with Mommy --"
"Spirit-Sodoshi?"
"Uh huh, she a ghost."
Rachel's face suddenly expressed the realization that the child
was putting her on. "I almost believed you, you little stinker. An
uncle who becomes a girl and a ghost who visits you." Rachel chuckled
and shook her head. "Such an imagination."
"It true!" Sodoshi insisted. "Uncle Ranma becomes a girl and
Spirit-Sodoshi talks to me when I call her."
Rachel was clearly becoming skeptical now. As she untangled her
legs and stood up, a crash of thunder close by caused the lights in
the apartment to flicker then go out.
"Great," Rachel mumbled as she fumbled around in the end table's
top drawer looking for her flashlight.
Switching on the flashlight, she checked to find Sodoshi calmly
sitting on the sofa like nothing happened.
"You're not scared?" Rachel asked as she bent over the little girl.
"Why? It just thunder. What happen?"
"It looks like we lost our electricity." Rachel slowly scanned
the darkened room with her flashlight and noted that there was nothing
to do but wait until the power was restored. "You were telling me
about your ghost."
"Spirit-Sodoshi."
"Yeah, that one." Rachel sat back down on the sofa and gave
Sodoshi a skeptical look. "Can you make her appear?"
Sodoshi nodded slowly.
"So, let's see this ghost of yours."
Sodoshi slowly lowered her eyes and she began to pout. "Not
supposed to. Mommy not here."
"What has your mother got to do with this?"
"Spirit-Sodoshi is her friend."
"Your mother's friend is a ghost?"
Sodoshi slowly nodded again. "But she my guardian."
"I'll bet," Rachel mumbled skeptically.
"I not a liar." Sodoshi softy insisted, remembering the taunts
from earlier in the day.
"I didn't suggest you were."
Rachel debated herself just how far she should press this issue,
considering what the child had gone through earlier in the day.
Finally, she concluded that such fantasies weren't all that good for a
child so it would be best to find out just how deep this one was.
"Okay, make her appear." Rachel set the flashlight on the coffee
table so its light was directed towards the ceiling. It created a
soft illumination throughout the entire living room. Crossing her
arms to convey her skepticism about this 'ghost' business she looked
at Sodoshi like she was waiting.
Sodoshi swallowed hard, closed her eyes and wrinkled her nose
like she was making some great effort. In seconds, Sodoshi Tanaka's
spirit appeared. Unfortunately, only Sodoshi could see her.
"I'm still waiting," Rachel chided with a sideways look.
"She right there," Sodoshi insisted pointing to apparently empty
space on the other side of the coffee table.
"Oh, of course she is." Rachel was becoming quite condescending.
It was all beginning to look like some kind of child's 'invisible
friend' game.
"Who's your friend, my little warrior?" Sodoshi Tanaka asked in
her typically ethereal voice.
"This Rachel," Sodoshi did the introductions. It didn't help
because Rachel was still looking at thin air instead of a ghost. That
only upset the little girl. "She can't see you."
"You wish for her to see me?"
"Uh huh."
"Very well."
To Rachel, the room began to glow an eerie blue-green, it's
luminescence growing by the second. A cold breeze swept across her
lightly clad body causing her to shiver as it caressed her bare skin.
Instinctively, Rachel pulled the young girl into a protective embrace
and stared at the bright white blob that began to form before her. In
seconds, Rachel was staring with her jaw open and eyes wide at the
glowing figure of a tall, powerfully built female dressed in white
with long pony tails trailing down the front of her. Rachel couldn't
be sure but it looked like the ghost was wearing a sword on her back.
"Rachel, this my friend Spirit-Sodoshi. She my guardian."
Sodoshi calmly did the introductions again and smiled at her ghostly
friend.
Sodoshi Tanaka, however, regarded Rachel with pity, her eyes
seeming to glow a dull red. Rachel swallowed hard.
"Are... are you for real?" Rachel was struggling with the entire
situation, not to mention the urge to run screaming out into the rain.
Another flash of lightning and roll of thunder only added to
Spirit-Sodoshi's menacing look.
"In life I was the last shadow warrior of the Cold Moon Clan. I
now serve the next shadow warrior of my people, the one who bears my
name." Her voice seemed to boom through the apartment, echoing as if
in some great cavern. Even the very forces of nature appeared to be
at her disposal as her last pronouncement was punctuated by a great
flash of lightning and a thunderous boom that shook the whole
building.
"Yeah... well... that.... that's great." Rachel hugged Sodoshi
harder.
"You are not a warrior. Why is it you have custody of this
child?"
Before Rachel could speak, Sodoshi interrupted. "She friend of
Daddy."
"You are but a weak and foolish woman fit only to bear children
and entertain men."
"Now wait a minute --"
"You are obviously an associate of Jeffrey Lawrence." Tanaka
said that like it was an accusation. "I suppose successful men have
mistresses on the side."
"You're in MY home, lady... or ghost or whatever you are. You
watch your mouth." Rachel's glare exceeded that scowl of Sodoshi
Tanaka.
As the two locked eyes, a battle of wills took place with little
Sodoshi calmly on the sidelines. Slowly, a smile spread across
Tanaka's face.
"You have spirit."
"That's a funny thing coming from a ghost."
"Yes, you are a feisty one. I wonder what your parents were
like."
"Leave them out of this," Rachel growled, not wanting to visit
THAT territory herself.
Sodoshi finally had enough of the bickering. "Spirit-Sodoshi,
you be nice to Rachel. She my friend."
"Very well, my little warrior. I will abide by your wishes - for
now." Tanaka never took her eyes off of Rachel as she agreed to
behave her self.
Rachel sensed the ghost wasn't as malevolent as she first
appeared, despite the continued flashes of lightning and rolls of
thunder that were suspiciously timed. With a look of apprehension,
she sat down with Sodoshi on the sofa and invited the ghost to 'make
herself comfortable'. Tanaka just drew up her legs into a cross-legged
sitting position and began to float silently.
"Are you the cause of Sodoshi's problems at school today?"
Rachel asked with a sideways look.
"I was there to protect my namesake. She needs to learn how to
fight. In that, her father has been negligent. Until he fulfills his
duties to this young clan daughter, I will be vigilant."
"You made her fight, didn't you?" Rachel quickly figured out
what happened. She knew that Sodoshi wasn't capable of inflicting the
kind of beating the school described. She must have had help.
"I... directed her actions, yes."
"Fighting is not always the answer."
"You sound like the child's mother."
Rachel was stunned slightly at being compared to Nabiki -
especially by a ghost. "Sometimes Mrs. Lawrence is correct."
The ghost paused before slowly nodding her agreement. "She is
now my clan's elder and an elder is always right." Tanaka paused
again and stared at the front door. "Even when she is wrong."
"Maybe she's right about her daughter not fighting. Not everyone
wants their child to grow up settling disputes through physical
violence."
"Such ideas will destroy a warrior and this one has the blood."
Tanaka extended a hand to point to little Sodoshi.
"I thought your people were known for their guile and deception?
It takes far more courage to deceive your enemies, to manipulate them
and to make them look foolish, than it does to openly confront them."
Tanaka just snorted and looked directly at Rachel. "You sound
like the child's mother, always talking of 'plans' and 'schemes'."
"Is that not the way of your people?"
Tanaka stared deeply into Rachel's eyes, like she was trying to
fish something out of Rachel's soul. Another flash of lightning and
Tanaka's eyes went wide.
"Your father... was a warrior... like my Jamie." Tanaka's voice
suddenly sounded more like a love-sick girl than a warrior.
"What about my father?" Rachel asked with narrowed eyes as she
leaned forward aggressively. "And what does all this have to do with
Commander Wilde?"
"I know your father," Tanaka gasped, covering her mouth in
surprise. Obviously, she knew the spirit of Rachel's departed father
VERY well.
"Wait a minute. How do you know my father?" Rachel was about to
leap off the couch to get an answer.
She didn't have a chance. If ghosts could blush, Sodoshi Tanaka
was blushing a deep crimson. Even the room took on an odd reddish
glow. With a yelp of realization about what she had obviously been
doing, Tanaka quickly vanished. The room quickly faded to darkness
again. Only the sounds of the storm quickly receding outside
disturbed the silence of the apartment.
Rachel continued to scowl at the spot where Sodoshi Tanaka's
ghost had previously occupied. That ghost had been making time with
her late father's spirit.
"That spooky little hussy..." Rachel growled. A quick glance at
Sodoshi revealed a very bored looking child slumped over on the sofa
supporting her head on her fist while wearing a disgusted look.
"Can we pop some more popcorn now?" Sodoshi asked like this had
become a boring party or something.
Both girls were jolted out of their thoughts by a knock at the
door. Recovering quickly, Rachel grabbed the flashlight and made her
way across the small apartment. As she opened the door, the room was
once again bathed in light. This time, the light was coming from a
camera crew.
"Will you guys back off!" came the irritated voice of the figure
silhouetted in the doorway.
"Can I help you?" Rachel asked as she squinted into the camera
lights.
"I'm Sergeant Ralph See of the Honolulu Police Department. We
got a report from one of your neighbors that there were strange lights
coming from your apartment. We were just concerned that you had a
fire or some electrical problem here." He tried to look around Rachel
into the darkened apartment. "Are you alone in there?"
"I'm watching my employer's little girl, officer." Rachel felt
Sodoshi's presence behind her.
"Lady, could you move a little to the left so we can get a shot
of the kid?" the cameraman called.
"Will you guys just give it a rest!" Ralph took off his hat and
ran a hand through his close-cropped hair. He was obviously at his
wits end.
"Who are those guys?" Rachel held up a hand to block the glare
of the camera light.
"Some real-life cop show camera crew. They've been riding with
me all night." Sgt. Ralph cast a disgusted look at the TV crew before
leaning closer to Rachel to keep the rest of their conversation
private. "We've been in a squad car for over six hours. One more
hour alone with them and, I swear, I'll go postal."
The sound man pushed his boom microphone between Sgt. Ralph and
the girls. Rachel scowled at the large fuzzy phallic device slowly
working its way towards her skimpy shorts. Sgt. Ralph also caught the
intrusion.
"If you don't get that out of here, you're gonna wear it home,"
he growled. Obviously the sound man was convinced of Ralph's
sincerity as the offending device suddenly disappeared.
Sgt. Ralph pulled out his little notebook and a pencil. "I just
need some information for our records. Your name?"
"Rachel Magnum."
"And the child's name?" He continued to write without even
looking up.
"Sodoshi."
"Sodoshi...?" Sgt Ralph scowled at his notebook and asked Rachel
to finish. Sodoshi wasn't a very common name. However, it *was* one
he'd heard before.
"Lawrence. Sodoshi Lawrence."
Sgt. Ralph's pencil tip snapped at the sound of the girl's last
name. "She wouldn't be..."
"The daughter of Jeffrey Lawrence." Rachel crossed her arms when
she noticed the camera crew focusing their camera on the results of
the cool night air and her thin t-shirt.
"And you'd be..."
"Mr. Lawrence's personal secretary."
The notebook in Sgt. Ralph's hand snapped shut suddenly.
"Great," he mumbled. "First the camera crew from hell and now
this." With a nervous smile, he nodded and bid the girls good night.
He was getting out of there before something typically 'Lawrence-ish'
happened to him.
"Aren't we going to look for drugs or something?" the camera man
asked as he stood his ground.
"No!"
"How about guns or illegal aliens?" the sound man quipped.
"NO!" Sgt. Ralph spun around and faced the two media hounds.
"Where are you jokers from anyway?"
The two men looked at each other before answering together.
"Los Angeles."
Sgt. Ralph just stared at the two men for several seconds.
"Figures," he hissed as he pushed his way past them and back down
the stairs.
Rachel watched as they disappeared into the night. Soon, she
could only hear them as they reached the pitch black parking lot.
"So, is it back to the donut shop?"
"The only thing keeping me from shooting the both of you is I
have only five years till retirement. GET IN THE CAR!"

Rachel softly closed the door. As if on cue, the electricity was
restored and all the lights came back on.
"Well, that's convenient," she mumbled.
Sodoshi, thrilled that she could now watch TV bounded over to the
sofa and snagged the remote. As the TV came on, it immediately showed
an old black and white movie.
"What's this?" Sodoshi asked with a disgusted look.
Rachel immediately recognized the old movie. "It's called: 'The
Ghost and Mrs. Muir'. Surely, there's something else on."
Sodoshi pressed the channel change button and squealed with
delight at what she found. Sailor Moon was just going through her
transformation to the accompaniment of some hokey music.
"Wonderful," Rachel dead-panned as she flopped down on the sofa
next to Sodoshi. "First, it's the ghost. Then, it's the cops. Now,
it's bad animation."
Rachel was saved from permanent brain damage by another knock at
the door.
"Now what," she mumbled as she padded across the soft carpet and
opened the door. "Mr. Lawrence." Her voice clearly conveying her
surprise.
"Daddy?" Sodoshi quickly punched a few random buttons on the
remote and hid the device behind her back. She knew how her parents
felt about her watching anything but educational shows.
"I got your voice mail message," he said as he leaned against the
door frame. "May I come in?"
"Of course," Rachel stammered as she shook herself out of her
stunned state and stepped aside. She expected a phone call from her
boss to confirm that she had Sodoshi, not a personal visit.
Jeff only nodded towards Rachel as he purposefully strode across
the room to where Sodoshi sat. Nervously, Sodoshi slipped off the
sofa and bowed deeply. She could tell by the look on her father's
face he was upset.
"What'cha watching," he asked as he bent over and supported
himself with hands on knees.
Sodoshi just shrugged her shoulders and pouted at the carpet.
Jeff cast a quick glance at the TV. It was some Highland Games
competition on ESPN-2.
"Well, I can see how watching men in skirts toss big rocks around
could be interesting to little girls."
Sodoshi's expression switched to pained and she cursed the fact
she was unable to hit a nature show by accident.
"I just got off the phone with Mr. Bateman. It would seem that
the parents of a certain young man are rather keen on suing me because
my daughter beat up their little boy at school." He paused to look
his daughter directly in the face. "Would you happen to know anything
about that?"
Sodoshi just eyed the carpeting and tried to think of something
to say.
"I love you, Daddy."
"That's not an answer, young lady." Jeff fixed his daughter in a
scowl that made it clear he wanted answers.
Rachel, however, finally had enough. "That's not fair, Jeffrey."
Jeff wasn't used to hearing Rachel use his first name. She had
always called him 'Mr. Lawrence' and such. Obviously, she knew more
about what was going on than he did.
"Sodoshi didn't hurt anybody." Rachel crossed her arms and stood
her ground with Jeffrey. After all, this was *her* apartment. "It
was that ghost of yours."
"What ghost of mine?" Jeff protested with a wagging finger. "And
how did you find out about her in the first place?"
"Sodoshi introduced us."
Jeff spun around to face his daughter. "You let Rachel meet
Sodoshi Tanaka?"
"She also told me about her sex changing uncle." Rachel
continued to press Jeff in hopes it would distract him from Sodoshi.
Jeff groaned out loud while covering his face with a hand. "I
don't believe this."
"Gee, and I thought your physically violent sister-in-law was
strange." Rachel's smirk appeared right at home considering how she
suddenly felt like she was in control of the situation.
Jeff just sighed and collapsed onto the sofa. Sodoshi, feeling
sorry for her daddy, crawled up and started to pat him on the
shoulder. "Poor Daddy. So tired."
"I'll tell you what," Rachel bent over with her hands on her
knees (an act that had Jeffrey instantly breaking out in a heavy sweat
because of what such a position revealed). "I've got more soft drinks
in the frig. We can pop a few and you can tell me all about this odd
extended family of yours."
Jeff quickly checked his watch and reluctantly agreed. The night
was still early and the look on Sodoshi's face convinced him the time
would be well spent. Besides, it was time Rachel knew *all* the
family secrets. After all, she was as much family as Ranma - for now,
anyway.
What followed was one of the most incredulous tales Rachel had
ever heard, full of Chinese curses, impetuous fiancees, and
misunderstandings. In the end, all she could do is chuckle and shake
her head.
"So that's why your wife acts oddly so much of the time." Rachel
pulled Sodoshi into her lap and gave the girl a big hug. "I'm glad
all this hasn't effected you, sweetheart."
"You'd call having the ghost of a departed shinobi shadow warrior
as a sidekick as not being effected?" Jeff tiredly observed while
supporting his cheek with a fist.
"Well, she hasn't let it bother her." Rachel hugged Sodoshi and
looked her directly in the eyes. "Have you?"
Before Sodoshi could answer, her father answered for her. "You
seem to be forgetting the fight. It wasn't our little warrior here
that beat up that kid."
"That was just a mistake. Spirit-Sodoshi was an accident. It
won't happen again." Rachel struck a smugly assured look.
"Why is it whenever you women tell me that, it happens again?"
Sodoshi and Rachel just giggled at Jeff's observation.
"It's getting late, ladies," he said getting up. "I want to
thank you for taking care of Sodoshi. I hope she wasn't too much
trouble."
"No trouble at all." Rachel set the little girl back on the
floor. "I've actually kind of enjoyed it."
"Well, I need to get Sodoshi home so she can get some sleep.
It's been a long day." Jeff held out his hand for Sodoshi. To his
surprise, she hesitated and looked to Rachel.
"Daddy, I wanna stay with Rachel," she pouted as she moved closer
to the older girl. "We having girls night together. Just her and
me."
Jeff's reaction was limited to a surprised look, complete with
raised eyebrows.
"If it's alright, Mr. Lawrence." Rachel put her arm around the
little girl and looked at her employer hopefully. "I was going
to take her shopping tomorrow. Nothing special, just a few places
downtown. I'll have her home in time to go to her gymnastics class."
Jeff confirmed the plan by looking at Sodoshi's pleading eyes
before nodding his agreement.
"Very well." He reached into his pocket. "I suppose you'll be
needing money for this little trip."
"Not really, Mr. Lawrence." Rachel grinned mischievously.
"After all, I've got the company credit card."
Jeff laughed at how the women, once again, had out-maneuvered him
as he walked to the door. As his hand touched the door knob, he felt
a tug at his pants leg. It was Sodoshi. Jeff looked at his daughter
with a questioning expression until she held her arms up. She wanted
a hug.
Scooping the little girl into his arms, Jeff returned her hug.
"Thank you, Daddy," she whispered.
Jeff set her back on her feet and patted her on the head.
"Behave yourself and obey Rachel."
Sodoshi's agreement was lost in her charge back into the living
room and the TV control. Jeff just shook his head and opened the door
to leave.
"You behave yourself too," he casually tossed Rachel's way as he
paused in the open doorway. She responded by sticking her tongue out.
"And please don't teach her *that*. Her mother will kill us both."
Rachel's laugh accompanied the closing of her front door.

G.L. Sandborn
Keeper of Uncle Fester
Guardian of 12 Foxes
Ersatz Cardinal Richelieu