SABAN: We Run FOX Kids!!!

SSJ Psyduck

Nov 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/9/99
Can anybody tell me what happened?

I remember like it was yesterday: the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (I
still can't believe the title) premiered on FOX. Even I was curious at
what this show would be like (I had just seen one of the Japanese live-
action shows on tape months earlier, and was intrigued...). When it
finally appeared, I don't think I could have turned the channel fast
enough...

Now...some years later, and after I don't know how many damn
incarnation or Power Rangers, Saban has a virtual headlock on every
cartoon on FOX. They ran 'The Tick' into the ground, they primarily
were responsible for what was happening to 'Dragonball Z' when it first
appeared here (although now...), they bring out...stuff...like Xyber
9, and worst of all...Power Rangers has not stopped. I thought this
would have ended years ago, but it has only seemed to get worse.

I can live with the Pokemon clones (I kinda like Digimon), but Saban is
starting to have a Microsoft complex. I think Kids' WB is next, though.

Well, that's my rant for today. Next time I'll be ranting on about the
Avengers, and the overall state of cartoons : )

Later

Jerane

Sovereign Studios - Web Site & Graphic Design
Homepage: http://www.deidan.com/sovereign/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

ANIM8Rfsk

Nov 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/9/99
I don't suppose it will help any to tell you SABAN is developing FOX prime time
animation, too ;-)

*****************************
Just 14 months to the new Millennium!

Remember, there is no year zero
in the Gregorian calendar
and the Third Millennium starts in 2001, not 2000.

Check out:
http://millennium.greenwich2000.com/countdown/countdown2001.htm

Chris Sobieniak

Nov 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/9/99
SABAN IS EVIL!!
THEY'RE THE ANTI-CHRIST!!!
PLEASE DON'T WATCH THEIR CRAP!!!!

Don't even let them take over your soul!

(A public service message brought to you by Chris Sobieniak, and your
ISP)

Jeff Harris

Nov 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/10/99
>I can live with the Pokemon clones (I kinda like Digimon), but Saban is
>starting to have a Microsoft complex. I think Kids' WB is next, though.

Let's see . . .

I agree that Saban has a bad Microsoft complex, but consider the following:

Saban already owns half of Fox Kids Worldwide (which also owns b Channel, g
Channel, and Fox Family) so that company will NEVER leave the network.

Saban was a part owner in UPN Kids until UPN realized that they were getting
the inferior Saban shows (that's right, it's the ulitmate oxymoron!) like
Bureau of Alien Detectives, Incredible Hulk, and Space Explorers (Teknoman was
just a good show that ended too soon).

Their syndicated shows ended way too soon. Samurai Pizza Cats and Eagle Riders
lasted one season, not even landing on Fox Kids.

Now, as long as Ted Turner owns a significant part of Time-Warner (you DO know
he's the company's majority stock holder, right), as long as Sony and WB
provide their own shows to the network (Sony produces Men in Black and the
upcoming Max Steel), as long as there are repeats of Animaniacs and Pinky and
the Brain to entertain (and in some cases annoy) viewers, and as long as Timm,
Dini, and company are providing good action-packed shows, there's not a
snowball's chance in hell that Saban will invade or take over Kids' WB!

That is all.
Later.

Jeff Harris
CNX: Toonami - The Inner Circle
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Studio/8307
The Revolution WILL Be Televised

Remove CNX-TIC to reply
Remove CNX-TIC to respond.

ELurio

Nov 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/10/99
<<Now, as long as Ted Turner owns a significant part of Time-Warner (you DO
know
he's the company's majority stock holder, right)>>

No, we don't. Turner is the company's largest stockholder, but he doesn't own
anywhere near a majority of the stock.

eric l.

The Shredder

Nov 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/10/99
I've always wonderd this...

What are the ratings for Power Rangers now, compared to when it first
permierd?

Saban and Fox where responsible for the demise of Next Mutation, wich was
getting decent ratings, and beating their own shows for a while. All beit,
the show had major problems, but it was still enjoyable. The Only Episode
of Power Rangers I Saw was the NT:TNM, PR cross over....Ugh, I wanted to
strangle the producers of that show who did it without the creators of The
Next Mutation's consent.

Sometimes I can help but wonder if Fox is beating themselves over the head
saying, "What sh!t did we get ourselves into?" And please tell me Saban has
no say on the Simpsons, or Futreama...

Neil4161

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
[...]

Saban is basically in control of Fox Kids. They try to mix licensed stuff with
original programming so Fox can make loot off of the license. Hence, that is
why Power Rangers still exist. As long as there is a profit to be made, they
will continue producing the show. In addition, Saban doesn't syndicate any more
probably because of its work with Fox.

Neil

SSJ Psyduck

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
I could have lived with TMNT:NT if they didn't baby it. If they would
have played off of the first movie, I think I would have liked it
better. Rubber bad guys with hand-puppets for sidekicks don't do it
for me.

I wonder what Eastman and Laird are doing now...probably looking at
each other and saying, "Damn..."

Jerane

In article <80cejv$3sua$1...@newssvr04-int.news.prodigy.com>,

SSJ Psyduck

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
In article <19991109195443...@ng-fg1.aol.com>,

nem...@aol.comCNX-TIC (Jeff Harris) wrote:
> Now, as long as Ted Turner owns a significant part of Time-Warner
(you DO know
> he's the company's majority stock holder, right), as long as Sony and
WB
> provide their own shows to the network (Sony produces Men in Black
and the
> upcoming Max Steel), as long as there are repeats of Animaniacs and
Pinky and
> the Brain to entertain (and in some cases annoy) viewers, and as long
as Timm,
> Dini, and company are providing good action-packed shows, there's not
> snowball's chance in hell that Saban will invade or take over Kids'
WB!

> That is all.
> Later.

Well, actually I meant that Kids' WB was becoming more like Saban.
Granted, they're a network, but after seeing what they did with Pokemon
(I don't think WB is helping or needs to help in the bastardization of
Pokemon), cancelling Batman and Superman in favor of Batman Beyond (I
like BB, but why sacrifice two equally good shows?), and what ever
happened to Invasion: America?!? I realize these things are just the
actions of a network, but they show a direction that to me is
disturbing. I don't know why on God's green Earth WB didn't grab DBZ,
Beast Wars (which I'm afraid for on Fox with Saban looming; look at
what happened to the Tick and X-Men) or War Planets for that matter.

Oh, and Max Steel sounds like the name of a Porn Star. I bet it
doesn't get past Season one without at least a name change : )

The Shredder

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99

> I wonder what Eastman and Laird are doing now...probably looking at
> each other and saying, "Damn..."

Heh, Laird Hates the show, more or less, Eastman dosn't mind it.

Personally, I'd rather see one on HBO, where it can be treated with respect.

todd young

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
eastman and laird??..hmmm...well eastman is editor in chief and i believe
owner of Heavy Metal Magazine...as well as married to julie strain the
penthouse model..both together are working on the 2nd Heavy Metal movie
F.A.K.K.2 which by now is finished and slated to come out next summer....and
Laird is head of the Xurich foundation which gives grants to up and commers
in the self-publishing comicbook world...both are probably stil sitting back
reaping some bit of money from TMNT...come on now any of the merchandising
taken from their comicbook has been poorly bastardized it was fun, but still
the comic was never geared toward kids and the fact they were able to make a
tidy sum more than gives them my respect and hpes..:)...i dont think we need
worry about them..:)
SSJ Psyduck <eng...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> I could have lived with TMNT:NT if they didn't baby it. If they would
> have played off of the first movie, I think I would have liked it
> better. Rubber bad guys with hand-puppets for sidekicks don't do it
> for me.
>
> I wonder what Eastman and Laird are doing now...probably looking at
> each other and saying, "Damn..."
>

> Jerane
>

> In article <80cejv$3sua$1...@newssvr04-int.news.prodigy.com>,
> "The Shredder" <THESHR...@prodigy.net> wrote:
> > I've always wonderd this...
> >
> > What are the ratings for Power Rangers now, compared to when it first
> > permierd?
> >
> > Saban and Fox where responsible for the demise of Next Mutation, wich
> was
> > getting decent ratings, and beating their own shows for a while. All
> beit,
> > the show had major problems, but it was still enjoyable. The Only
> Episode
> > of Power Rangers I Saw was the NT:TNM, PR cross over....Ugh, I wanted
> > strangle the producers of that show who did it without the creators
> of The
> > Next Mutation's consent.
> >
> > Sometimes I can help but wonder if Fox is beating themselves over the
> head
> > saying, "What sh!t did we get ourselves into?" And please tell me
> Saban has
> > no say on the Simpsons, or Futreama...

todd young

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
to take the counter point on saban...come on all this ragging on Saban....by
his own admission hes only out to make money, so hes not too worried about
quality..i do agree that its extremely disappointing for anyone whos seen or
read what the original shows are about...i still find it amusing with power
rangers to watch Trini the lithe and nubile vietnamiese girl change into the
yellow ranger..complete with mens genitals....hahahahah..that one still gets
me....i cant remember the last time Marvel 'Entertaiinment' (oh please)
produced some show worth anything....once the greatest of comicbook
companies, now...craprulers of the universe!!!(add your own reverb
here)....DC on the other hand seems to have taken over both..i am
disappointed that the batman/superman adventures seems to have run its
course...

SSJ Psyduck <eng...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Jeff Harris

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
>Subject: Re: SABAN: We Run FOX Kids!!!
>From: SSJ Psyduck eng...@ix.netcom.com
>Date: Thu, 11 November 1999 11:48 AM EST

>Well, actually I meant that Kids' WB was becoming more like Saban.
>Granted, they're a network, but after seeing what they did with Pokemon
>(I don't think WB is helping or needs to help in the bastardization of
>Pokemon), cancelling Batman and Superman in favor of Batman Beyond (I
>like BB, but why sacrifice two equally good shows?), and what ever
>happened to Invasion: America?!?

The Pokemon thing, it'll come and go. All fads do. All this series made Kids
WB realize that they don't always have to just rely on their own products
(which are very good in its own right)

I don't see them "cancelling" Batman and Superman as a bad thing. Remember
that Fox Kids had Batman: The Animated Series and "cancelled" it as well, only
to reemerge years later as Batman: Gotham Knights, smoother, more fluid, and
more action-packed than its predecessor. Once Batman Beyond run its course,
expect a newer Batman series to relaunch (it could happen!). Heck, WB
Animation could be working on the next big thing (no, I don't think Osmosis
Jones is going to be the next big thing, but what do I know?)

Invasion: America, for those who don't know, was the second Dreamworks
Animation series and was the first hour-long animated prime-time drama. It was
both panned and praised by critics, and it certainly had a big fanbase.
Unfortunately, that jerk of jerks, Jaime Kellner (he cancelled Animaniacs,
Calamity Jane, Brats of the Lost Nebula, Earthworm Jim, Road Rovers, and
Freakazoid and turned Pinky and the Brain into Pinky, Elmyra, and the Brain)
cancelled this series just as it was getting interesting. The story's not
done. The final episode ended with the words "End of Chapter One," which meant
a Chapter Two would be on the horizon. Sadly, Kellner didn't see it that way,
and the show's cancellation kinda led to the consolidation of the television
animation and the film animation divisions a couple of years ago.

> I don't know why on God's green Earth WB didn't grab DBZ,
>Beast Wars (which I'm afraid for on Fox with Saban looming; look at
>what happened to the Tick and X-Men) or War Planets for that matter.

Well, WB didn't grab DBZ because The WB's corporate sibling, Cartoon Network,
owns the broadcast rights. They didn't want Beast Wars because, well, I don't
know. Must have been afraid of those robots.

As for War Planets, well, Mainframe isn't distributing the series to America
right now, and it'll definately be back next fall (hopefully with a broadcast
home).

>Oh, and Max Steel sounds like the name of a Porn Star. I bet it
>doesn't get past Season one without at least a name change : )

Don't judge a book by its cover. The series is done by the same guys who made
Roughnecks: Starship Troopers for BKN. It looks pretty cool, and I guess we'll
wait and see how this show will be treated on Kids WB.

sanm...@my-deja.com

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
Firstly, I totally agree with you that Saban's sense of taste totally
sucks. I'm really disappointed that a fellow like Tony Oliver, whose
performance as Rick Hunter in Robotech I always loved, could be a VP in
that kind of company.

But I'll tell you, people like Saban have thrived on superior business
strategies, even tho their products were crap. The same could be said
for the Microsoft that you folks were making comparisons to.

So I don't think it's enuf for people to think that they can create
good art and have it succeed, or to see bad art get cast aside. It's
not an ideal world, and it's rather naive to expect that.

Maybe what proponents of good art need to do, is to take a page out of
Saban's strategic thinking, and apply it to the production of good
artwork.

In article <809sed$bn7$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

SSJ Psyduck

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
In article <19991111221914...@ng-fp1.aol.com>,

nem...@aol.comCNX-TIC (Jeff Harris) wrote:

> The Pokemon thing, it'll come and go. All fads do. All this series
made Kids
> WB realize that they don't always have to just rely on their own
products
> (which are very good in its own right)

I though about this, too. I actually like Pokemon (even Digimon). I
think that WB milking it would quicken its demise, though.

> I don't see them "cancelling" Batman and Superman as a bad thing.
Remember
> that Fox Kids had Batman: The Animated Series and "cancelled" it as
well, only
> to reemerge years later as Batman: Gotham Knights, smoother, more
fluid, and
> more action-packed than its predecessor. Once Batman Beyond run its
course,
> expect a newer Batman series to relaunch (it could happen!). Heck, WB
> Animation could be working on the next big thing (no, I don't think
Osmosis
> Jones is going to be the next big thing, but what do I know?)

Gothan Knights? I thought it went right into the Adventures of Batman
& Robin. I have to say that I was somewhat dissappointed with many of
the eps of Superman (I liked 'The Late Mr. Kent', though) and Batman (I
was shocked with the ep when Batgirl fell from the building and on to
Gordon and Bullock's car. That was something). I think the next batch
of stuff will go a lot smoother when they get rid of Richard Raynis
(there is something about MiB I really don't like). I like him on the
Simpsons and even in Big Guy, etc., but that was it. Not Extreme
GhostBusters, or Street Sharks or whatever.

> Invasion: America, for those who don't know, was the second Dreamworks
> Animation series and was the first hour-long animated prime-time
drama. It was
> both panned and praised by critics, and it certainly had a big
fanbase.
> Unfortunately, that jerk of jerks, Jaime Kellner (he cancelled
Animaniacs,
> Calamity Jane, Brats of the Lost Nebula, Earthworm Jim, Road Rovers,
and
> Freakazoid and turned Pinky and the Brain into Pinky, Elmyra, and the
Brain)
> cancelled this series just as it was getting interesting. The
story's not
> done. The final episode ended with the words "End of Chapter One,"
which meant
> a Chapter Two would be on the horizon. Sadly, Kellner didn't see it
that way,
> and the show's cancellation kinda led to the consolidation of the
television
> animation and the film animation divisions a couple of years ago.

People like that areto be taken out and shot. I'd like to speak to
this guy.

> Well, WB didn't grab DBZ because The WB's corporate sibling, Cartoon
Network,
> owns the broadcast rights. They didn't want Beast Wars because,
well, I don't
> know. Must have been afraid of those robots.

I didn't know that WB and CN were connected that way. Hmph, and they
say there are no monopolies...

> As for War Planets, well, Mainframe isn't distributing the series to
America
> right now, and it'll definately be back next fall (hopefully with a
broadcast
> home).

I remember hearing about thie business with this. This show grew on
me. It was a little corny at times (especially in the beginning), but
it got better to me, and I actually wanted to see what was going to
happen next. Kinda like Reboot. I'd really like to see the next
season...

> Don't judge a book by its cover. The series is done by the same guys
who made
> Roughnecks: Starship Troopers for BKN. It looks pretty cool, and I
guess we'll
> wait and see how this show will be treated on Kids WB.
> Later.

That doesn't fill me with a lot of hope. I did not like Roughnecks:ST
at all. The dialog really had me reeling, and everybody looked the
same. Nothing really original in my book. The show reminded me of
Voltron: The 3rd Dimension (I think the same animators do that as well,
which explains the look). I know that the show really didn't get going
yet, so if it returns, I'll keep checking it out to see where it goes.

But c'mon...you can't tell me 'Max Steel' sounds like a Porn Star
name : )

ANIM8Rfsk

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
<< I did not like Roughnecks:ST
at all. The dialog really had me reeling, and everybody looked the
same. >>

I think the main problem there is that everybody MOVES the same, probably
because they only use two motion capture actors for all the characters, one
male, one female. C'Mon, guys, pony up for a couple more people and get some
variation in your performances.

Steve M

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99

> of stuff will go a lot smoother when they get rid of Richard Raynis
> (there is something about MiB I really don't like). I like him on the

Noooooo! Don't get rid of my beloved MiB!!! My wife and I watch that show
religiously! It's funny, clever, has a unique style, has fun characters, and
IMO is even better than the movie.

Worms Rule! Jaavaaaaa! :-)

Eleven Million Geriatrics

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
nem...@aol.comCNX-TIC (Jeff Harris) wrote:
>Now, as long as Ted Turner owns a significant part of Time-Warner (you DO know
>he's the company's majority stock holder, right), as long as Sony and WB
>provide their own shows to the network (Sony produces Men in Black and the
>upcoming Max Steel), as long as there are repeats of Animaniacs and Pinky and
>the Brain to entertain (and in some cases annoy) viewers, and as long as Timm,
>Dini, and company are providing good action-packed shows, there's not a
>snowball's chance in hell that Saban will invade or take over Kids' WB!

(RAA crowd does the wave)

- Peter Destructo
"Many American film professionals insist that Americans cannot endure
long movies and need a musical interlude every 3 minutes. This leaves
me bewildered." - Hayao Miyazaki

Eleven Million Geriatrics

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
chrism...@webtv.net (Chris Sobieniak) wrote:
>SABAN IS EVIL!!
>THEY'RE THE ANTI-CHRIST!!!
>PLEASE DON'T WATCH THEIR CRAP!!!!
>
>Don't even let them take over your soul!

LOL
I think you meant don't *ever* let them take over our souls

Eleven Million Geriatrics

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
"The Shredder" <THESHR...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>Saban and Fox where responsible for the demise of Next Mutation, wich was
>getting decent ratings, and beating their own shows for a while.

Next Mutation is evil! Like Beast Wars, it is (was?) a decent/pretty
good show, but it has nothing to do with the TMNT *I* remember.

Eleven Million Geriatrics

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
"todd young" <jelys...@lida.net> wrote:
>eastman and laird??..hmmm...well eastman is editor in chief and i believe
>owner of Heavy Metal Magazine...as well as married to julie strain the
>penthouse model..both together are working on the 2nd Heavy Metal movie
>F.A.K.K.2 which by now is finished and slated to come out next summer...

It came out, a DTV (direct to video) movie premiering on HBO. Mike
Dobbs <mdo...@javanet.com> reviewed the movie in message ID
<382766...@javanet.com>. To read, look it up on Remarq.com or
Deja.com.

- Peter Destructo
"Many American film professionals insist that Americans cannot endure
long movies and need a musical interlude every 3 minutes. This leaves
me bewildered." - Hayao Miyazaki

I'm about to upgrade to Agent 1.6... (drum roll)

11 Million Geriatrics

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
sanm...@my-deja.com wrote:
>But I'll tell you, people like Saban have thrived on superior business
>strategies, even tho their products were crap. The same could be said
>for the Microsoft that you folks were making comparisons to.

Except MS actually makes a *good* product from time to time...

>So I don't think it's enuf for people to think that they can create
>good art and have it succeed, or to see bad art get cast aside. It's
>not an ideal world, and it's rather naive to expect that.

Yup. (The death of DOWNTOWN... MTV sucks! MTV sucks! Hey MTV, guess
what? You SUCK!)

11 Million Geriatrics

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
Nice to see you here, Jeff! You haven't been around in a while... you
should stop in here and alt.tv.cartoon-network more often! :) I'm in a
good mood tonight.

nem...@aol.comCNX-TIC (Jeff Harris) wrote:
>I don't see them "cancelling" Batman and Superman as a bad thing. Remember
>that Fox Kids had Batman: The Animated Series and "cancelled" it as well, only
>to reemerge years later as Batman: Gotham Knights,

You can stop calling The New Batman Adventures by that name now. Sure,
it was the original name that the producers wanted (source: BATMAN
ANIMATED), but it's just not the name of the show. Also, in 2000, that
will be the name of a mainstream Batman monthly, so you'd just be
making things even more confusing.

11 Million Geriatrics

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
"todd young" <jelys...@lida.net> wrote:
>to take the counter point on saban...come on all this ragging on Saban....by
>his own admission hes only out to make money, so hes not too worried about
>quality..i do agree that its extremely disappointing for anyone whos seen or
>read what the original shows are about...i still find it amusing with power
>rangers to watch Trini the lithe and nubile vietnamiese girl change into the
>yellow ranger..complete with mens genitals....hahahahah..that one still gets
>me....i cant remember the last time Marvel 'Entertaiinment' (oh please)
>produced some show worth anything....once the greatest of comicbook
>companies, now...craprulers of the universe!!!(add your own reverb
>here)....DC on the other hand seems to have taken over both..i am
>disappointed that the batman/superman adventures seems to have run its
>course...

I've heard that B/SA may come back in 2001, especially if there is
another movie. Everyone says something different. But the possibility
is definitely there. Either way, great people like Bruce Timm, Eric
Randomski, Alan Burnett, and others are not going anywhere -- Timm and
Murakami have mentioned that they want to get away from Batman and
make an original, even more adult show after Batman Beyond. There may
be a Batman Beyond live action movie in 2001, in which case the
animated series will be renewed. I guess we just have to stick around
and see what happens. Personally, I've loved all of these series --
EXCEPT for Superman! Particularly the later "hey, look, it's other DCU
people! big frickin' whoop!" and "energy beam, counter with bigger
energy beam, counter with even bigger energy beam" episodes are easily
forgettable. Batman Beyond has awesome action sequences, character
designs, villains (well, they're coming, slowly. People like Willy
Watt and Ten), music, and -- er -- women. Just enjoy it! :D

tbr...@trinity.edu

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
In article <80hrng$817$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

SSJ Psyduck <eng...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> In article <19991111221914...@ng-fp1.aol.com>,
> nem...@aol.comCNX-TIC (Jeff Harris) wrote:
> >
> > The Pokemon thing, it'll come and go. All fads do. All this series
> made Kids
> > WB realize that they don't always have to just rely on their own
> products
> > (which are very good in its own right)

Cynic. Any evidence as to whether or not Pokemon will be the next
Goosebumps (great for a year or two; what the heck happened?!) or the
next TMNT (lasted for about six years, if I ain't mistaken)?

> I though about this, too. I actually like Pokemon (even Digimon). I
> think that WB milking it would quicken its demise, though.

They probably see it as a fad, sure hit, or both. Most likely both,
and a library of episodes is readily available. Why hold back on all
of this cheap programming when it's such a Neilsen success?

Keep in mind, this is the network that aired Batman 6 times a week.
Why complain if they show an even more popular series 12 times a
week? :)

> > I don't see them "cancelling" Batman and Superman as a bad thing.
> Remember
> > that Fox Kids had Batman: The Animated Series and "cancelled" it as
> well, only

> > to reemerge years later as Batman: Gotham Knights, smoother, more
> fluid, and
> > more action-packed than its predecessor. <

Not to mention less character-driven. It's a minor complaint, given
what the new series does so well.

It's worth noting, that the cancellation was more of a transition. WB
owned the rights, no? Why not retain those rights with the new network?

> > Once Batman Beyond run its course, expect a newer Batman series to
relaunch (it could happen!). Heck, WB Animation could be working on
the next big thing (no, I don't think Osmosis Jones is going to be the
next big thing, but what do I know?) < <

> Gothan Knights? I thought it went right into the Adventures of
Batman & Robin. I have to say that I was somewhat dissappointed with
many of the eps of Superman <

Ditto.

>(I liked 'The Late Mr. Kent', though)<

Hated that "helicopter" scene, though, well done though it was. Felt
like someone on the staff needed an action scene.

>and Batman (I was shocked with the ep when Batgirl fell from the
building and on to Gordon and Bullock's car. That was something). <

"Never Fear". Best looking ep of the new series.

>I think the next batch of stuff will go a lot smoother when they get

rid of Richard Raynis (there is something about MiB I really don't

like). I like him on the Simpsons and even in Big Guy, etc., but that

was it. Not Extreme GhostBusters, or Street Sharks or whatever. <

Cynic. XGB was better than the original. Godzilla blew away the movie
with CHARACTERS, despite the crumby animation. King of the Hill and
Big Guy were a mixed bag. Street Sharks might've been a day job :)

> > Invasion: America, for those who don't know, was the second
Dreamworks Animation series and was the first hour-long animated prime-

time drama. It was both panned and praised by critics, < <

The one positive review I read (Entertainment Weekly's Ken Tucker)
called it "derivative but lively". I called it "derivative and ugly".

>and it certainly had a big fanbase. <

Amongst who, dare I ask? Then again, everyone likes SOMETHING. I
liked WildCATS :)

> > Unfortunately, that jerk of jerks, Jaime Kellner (he cancelled
> Animaniacs,
> > Calamity Jane, Brats of the Lost Nebula, Earthworm Jim, Road Rovers,
> and
> > Freakazoid and turned Pinky and the Brain into Pinky, Elmyra, and
the
> Brain)
> > cancelled this series just as it was getting interesting. The
> story's not
> > done. The final episode ended with the words "End of Chapter One,"
> which meant
> > a Chapter Two would be on the horizon. Sadly, Kellner didn't see it
> that way,
> > and the show's cancellation kinda led to the consolidation of the
> television
> > animation and the film animation divisions a couple of years ago.

Regardless of how I feel about the show, I don't know what the ratings
were. Blame Kellner to the hilt, but IA isn't his worst calamity
(hint, hint).

> People like that are to be taken out and shot. I'd like to speak to
> this guy.

I'd pretty much limit my inquisition to CJ.

> > Well, WB didn't grab DBZ because The WB's corporate sibling, Cartoon
> Network,
> > owns the broadcast rights. They didn't want Beast Wars because,
> well, I don't
> > know. Must have been afraid of those robots.
>
> I didn't know that WB and CN were connected that way. Hmph, and they
> say there are no monopolies...

Time-Warner isn't a monopoly. It's just very, very, very, very big :)

News Corp, Disney, Viacom, Hearst, Gannett, Microsoft, are big, fat
huge. If anything, they're part of an oligarchy.

> > As for War Planets, well, Mainframe isn't distributing the series to
> America
> > right now, and it'll definately be back next fall (hopefully with a
> broadcast
> > home).
>
> I remember hearing about thie business with this. This show grew on
> me. It was a little corny at times (especially in the beginning), but
> it got better to me, and I actually wanted to see what was going to
> happen next. Kinda like Reboot. I'd really like to see the next
> season...

Yeah, they may actually pull a STORY with CHARACTERS out of all this.
This was a toy commercial in the flattest sense. Reboot had its
moments.

> > Don't judge a book by its cover. The series is done by the same
guys
> who made
> > Roughnecks: Starship Troopers for BKN. It looks pretty cool, and I
> guess we'll
> > wait and see how this show will be treated on Kids WB.
> > Later.
>

> That doesn't fill me with a lot of hope. I did not like Roughnecks:ST

> at all. The dialog really had me reeling, and everybody looked the

> same. Nothing really original in my book. The show reminded me of
> Voltron: The 3rd Dimension (I think the same animators do that as
well,
> which explains the look).

I believe there's a more competent group working on ST:R. Flat Earth
and Foundation Imaging are mentioned, and the best-looking eps of ST:R
are almost on par with Mainframe. A few recent eps took place on a
watery planet (with daylight, no less). Great-looking stuff.

Terrence Briggs
Peace to you...

James D Thompson

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
tbr...@trinity.edu wrote:

> >and Batman (I was shocked with the ep when Batgirl fell from the
> building and on to Gordon and Bullock's car. That was something). <
>
> "Never Fear". Best looking ep of the new series.

"Over the Edge". "Never Fear" was the one where Batsy dropped a guy
off a building after Bruce Wayne did his Crocodile Hunter impression.

David Thompson
--
The rain came down in torrents, the wind increased to a stiff breeze
and some of the juniors, not accustomed to be rocked in the cradle

SPOOOOOOOOOOOON

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
<<I've always wonderd this...

What are the ratings for Power Rangers now, compared to when it first
permierd?>>

It's not very good. It was even just yanked off of Saturday mornings because
Batman Beyond was thrashing it pretty much every week. And what viewers it
does still have are usually very very young.

101 TOP THINGS TO DO AFTER WINNING THE $65M POWERBALL

#12: fund a new season of Reboot, so that Mairi Welman can
refocus on answering queries as to the coming of season five. <g>

garr...@efn.org

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
On 14 Nov 1999 19:06:08 GMT, micr...@aol.com (SPOOOOOOOOOOOON)
wrote:

><<I've always wonderd this...
>
>What are the ratings for Power Rangers now, compared to when it first
>permierd?>>
>

>It's not very good. It was even just yanked off of Saturday mornings because
>Batman Beyond was thrashing it pretty much every week. And what viewers it
>does still have are usually very very young.

Too young to know that the show is crap.

-
"No sex,no drugs, no wine,
No women, no fun, no sin.
No you-know-when until it's dark.
Everyone around me is a total stranger,
Everyone avoids me like a Cyclone Ranger."

- "Turning Japanese" by the Vapours

Batya

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
tbr...@trinity.edu wrote:

> In article <0UM0OAoTY7ruI=z=VN8WfP...@4ax.com>,
> garr...@efn.org wrote:

> > Too young to know that the show is crap.
>

> I 've tried convicing as much to fans of Voltron and Thundercats
> (mainly the ones that haven't seen a complete episode in a decade), but
> it never pans out...
>
> Terrence Briggs
> Peace to you

ThunderCats is crap.
Utter crap.
I know this, and I love it anyway. A year or two ago my
friend and I spent many happy hours MST-ing my ThunderCats
tapes.
Hey, we all have our vices.
--
Batya
"Ancient spirits of evil, transform this decayed form . . .

tbr...@trinity.edu

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99
garr...@efn.org wrote:
> On 14 Nov 1999 19:06:08 GMT, micr...@aol.com (SPOOOOOOOOOOOON)
> wrote:
>
> ><<I've always wonderd this...
> >
> >What are the ratings for Power Rangers now, compared to when it first
> >permierd?>>
> >

> >It's not very good. It was even just yanked off of Saturday mornings
because
> >Batman Beyond was thrashing it pretty much every week. And what
viewers it
> >does still have are usually very very young.
>
> Too young to know that the show is crap.

I 've tried convicing as much to fans of Voltron and Thundercats
(mainly the ones that haven't seen a complete episode in a decade), but
it never pans out...

Terrence Briggs
Peace to you

garr...@efn.org

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99
On Fri, 19 Nov 1999 06:19:03 GMT, tbr...@trinity.edu wrote:

>> Too young to know that the show is crap.
>
>I 've tried convicing as much to fans of Voltron and Thundercats
>(mainly the ones that haven't seen a complete episode in a decade), but
>it never pans out...

That is generally true, plus I despise those folks who don't think
crappy Japanimation is every bit as rancid as bad American animation.

Pokemon meets Hammerman

Matt Martin

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99
After meditating for hours on Thu, 18 Nov 1999 23:49:31 -0800,
Batya <ba...@ix.netcom.com> imparted the following wisdom unto us:

> tbr...@trinity.edu wrote:
> >
> > In article <0UM0OAoTY7ruI=z=VN8WfP...@4ax.com>,

> > garr...@efn.org wrote:
>
> > > Too young to know that the show is crap.
> >
> > I 've tried convicing as much to fans of Voltron and Thundercats
> > (mainly the ones that haven't seen a complete episode in a decade), but
> > it never pans out...
> >

> > Terrence Briggs
> > Peace to you
>

> ThunderCats is crap.
> Utter crap.
> I know this, and I love it anyway. A year or two ago my
> friend and I spent many happy hours MST-ing my ThunderCats
> tapes.
> Hey, we all have our vices.

Heh... reminds me of a line from Otaru's neighbor Gennai in _Saber
Marionette J_:

"Sometimes the defective things are the most lovable..."

--

Matt Martin / buf...@yggdrasil.dhs.org
Visit the University of Richmond Japanese Anime Club home page: