Hot Potato: the Animated Series!

jmfabi...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2017, 1:25:37 PM8/23/17
I remember a Hot Potato cartoon in 1984! There was a game show Hot Potato, but there was a cartoon as well! I remember seeing it!!! Bill Cullen went around disguised in a clown nose and tossed potatoes at criminals. It was a funny!!!!! I remember it well!!!!!

fulgencio...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2017, 1:39:29 PM8/23/17
Was it designed to sell toys like all other 80s cartoons?

tehwal...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2017, 1:40:59 PM8/23/17
On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 at 12:25:37 PM UTC-5, jmfabi...@gmail.com wrote:
> I remember a Hot Potato cartoon in 1984! There was a game show Hot Potato, but there was a cartoon as well! I remember seeing it!!! Bill Cullen went around disguised in a clown nose and tossed potatoes at criminals. It was a funny!!!!! I remember it well!!!!!

Did he walk funny as he went around?

awori...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2017, 6:44:33 PM8/23/17
On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 at 1:39:29 PM UTC-4, fulgencio...@gmail.com wrote:
> Was it designed to sell toys like all other 80s cartoons?

Yup, there was a line of Hot Potato toys as well, including Bill Cullen action figures! I remember them real well!

And yes, he did walk funny, hence the clown nose.

awori...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2017, 6:45:48 PM8/23/17
Oh, I forgot to add, there was a Bill Cullen Mr. Potato Head!

Your Name

Aug 23, 2017, 9:30:19 PM8/23/17
There was a Game Boy Advance game called "Hot Potato!", but it probably
has nothing to do with that show or maybe even the new animated show.

Silly spuds from outer space have taken over the streets and
are waiting for someone to take them home. Now the rescure
party arrives and the real fun begins! Pilot the sled through
the streets to match up the male potato with his mate!
Evacuate as many of the shipwrecked spuds as possible as you
guide your sled to the escape rocket. Clear the streets of
the invaders and help save the Earth once and for all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3wWwsk1s1U

jmfabi...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2017, 12:53:32 PM8/24/17
No this was about the game show Hot Potato, which aired on NBC from January - April 1984. On the show, host Bill Cullen would toss potatoes at the contestants. This obviously carried over the the animated show, except potatoes were his weapon of choice when catching criminals.

jmfabi...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2017, 12:55:59 PM8/24/17
HP also made occasional comebacks as needed. Like in 1989, as part of the debut of Saved by the Bell on the NBC SatAM schedule, there was a boys vs. girls SBTB game of Hot Potato the night before in prime time.

jmfabi...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2017, 5:17:17 PM8/24/17
On Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 12:53:32 PM UTC-4, jmfabi...@gmail.com wrote:
As for the GBA game in question...I know what you're talking about. Sony sued the creators for stealing the name of one of the game shows they own the rights to. https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R4FGZZ7W4JCWN/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_btm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00005BZDM#wasThisHelpful

Your Name

Aug 24, 2017, 5:22:09 PM8/24/17
Technically, in terms of games, the name "Hot Potato" probably
originally comes from a kids' party game, similar to "Pass the Parcel"
meets "Musical Chairs". The kids pass an object amongst themselves
until the music stops, and the one then holding the "hot potato" is out
of the game, until only one participant is left.

jmfabi...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2017, 1:08:19 PM8/25/17
Which is how the game show worked. Only the host tossed it at the contestants for the sake of comedy. And yes, it was a funny.

Your Name

Aug 25, 2017, 6:17:59 PM8/25/17
Which is why the game show has no real authority to sue anyone else.
The game show did not create the name "Hot Potato" and stole it for
their own use in the first place.

> Only the host tossed it at the contestants for the sake of comedy. And
> yes, it was a funny.

There's also a few outdoor summer game versions that involve
waterballoons, like this one:

Sizzlin' Cool Tick'n Tater
https://www.amazon.com/Sizzlin-Cool-Tater-Water-Lanard/dp/B006CWIW3W

James Fabiano

Jan 23, 2024, 11:28:25 AMJan 23
On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 at 1:25:37 PM UTC-4, jmfabi...@gmail.com wrote:
> I remember a Hot Potato cartoon in 1984! There was a game show Hot Potato, but there was a cartoon as well! I remember seeing it!!! Bill Cullen went around disguised in a clown nose and tossed potatoes at criminals. It was a funny!!!!! I remember it well!!!!!

Buzzr will marathon all 13 episodes of this show today as part of Hot Potato's 40th anniversary!!!!