Longest Animated Movie

Elisabeth Anne Riba

Jun 29, 1994, 6:52:00 AM6/29/94
There's been some discussion in reviews of "Lion King" about Disney's
90 minute limit on animated flicks. I always thought this was based
on the amount of time it takes to animate, rather than an arbitrary
estimate of kids' attention spans.
So, I was wondering how long the longest animated film was? I'm
interested in original (as opposed to rehashes of old cartoons like
Daffy's Mysterious Island) fully-animated films (not Roger Rabbit or
Cool World)
Anyone know?

--
Elisabeth Riba
l...@netcom.com

Richard F. Drushel

Jun 29, 1994, 7:59:00 AM6/29/94

In a previous article, l...@netcom.com (Elisabeth Anne Riba) says:

>So, I was wondering how long the longest animated film was? I'm
>interested in original (as opposed to rehashes of old cartoons like
>Daffy's Mysterious Island) fully-animated films (not Roger Rabbit or
>Cool World)
>Anyone know?

Ralph Bakshi's "The Lord of the Rings" is probably close to
the top of the list (if not at the top) with a running time of 2.5
hours or so...granted that Ralph used lots of thinly-described
rotoscoping for all those orc-hordes (from "Zulu"), so the actual
de novo animation is considerably less than 2.5 hours.

*Rich*

[speaking of Bakshi's "TLOTR", ever notice how the wizard Saruman's
name changed from Saruman (at the beginning) to Aruman (at the end)?
Perhaps they thought Saruman was too similar to Sauron?]

Brett Middleton

Jun 29, 1994, 9:07:46 AM6/29/94
l...@netcom.com (Elisabeth Anne Riba) writes:
>So, I was wondering how long the longest animated film was?

A quick browse through the Whole Toon catalog shows most animated
flicks coming in between 80 and 100 minutes. Some fall in the
70-80 range, and some in the 100-110 range. Akira clocks in at
124 minutes and Bakshi's Lord of the Rings at 133 minutes. (Hey,
I hope you weren't looking for statistical rigor here! B-)

I'll take a look at Lenberg's encyclopedia when I get a chance
tonight and see if he lists anything longer.

Brett

*SLMW 1.0* Calm down! It's just paint and plastic!

Brian E Foote

Jun 29, 1994, 10:53:34 AM6/29/94
>l...@netcom.com (Elisabeth Anne Riba) writes:
>So, I was wondering how long the longest animated film was?

I don't have my tape handy here at work, but after the
25 times of seeing Aladdin, it seems like it is a little beyond
the 90 minute mark. Am I totally off?

Brian E. Foote
bef...@pitt.edu
FDC roll-around Gurgu wannabe

Steve Stanchfield

Jun 29, 1994, 1:32:28 PM6/29/94
In article <16FE4806...@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU> Brett Middleton,

BRE...@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU writes:

>I'll take a look at Lenberg's encyclopedia when I get a chance
>tonight and see if he lists anything longer.

Fantasia clocks in at 120 minutes; Raggedy Ann and Andy originally
clocked in
at 136 minutes before video release (a LOT is missing from that). Dumbo
wins as
the shortest (63 minutes!) with land before time comingin as a close
second (66 mins.)
Spielberg made cuts to the later to trim some of the violence. Oh
well....

Steve Stanchfield

Jun 29, 1994, 1:40:08 PM6/29/94
BRE...@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU writes:

>I'll take a look at Lenberg's encyclopedia when I get a chance
>tonight and see if he lists anything longer.

Looks like Fantasia wins for longest (120 mins.). Raggedy Ann and
Andy ran 136 mins
(before it was cut to 80-some minutes for video).

Dumbo wins for shortest (63 mins!) with Bluth's Land before time a
close second at
66 mins (Speilberg cut the violent stuff out; to pad the running time,
they added 9
minutes of 'Family Dog' to the front of it)

There are some strange animated features out there..........

Amy Lynne Plack

Jun 29, 1994, 2:28:50 PM6/29/94
In article <Cs662...@mediastation.com>,

Steve Stanchfield <ste...@mediastation.com> wrote:
>In article <16FE4806...@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU> Brett Middleton,
>BRE...@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU writes:
>
> the shortest (63 minutes!) with land before time comingin as a close
>second (66 mins.)

what about Bambi? I thought that was rather short; about an hour...?

--
Amy Lynne Plack ()_() FDC Scamperaround Tod the Fox
tr...@wpi.WPI.EDU (_)

Mark S. Pope

Jun 29, 1994, 5:54:45 PM6/29/94

Do you only want American (Western) animated films only?
If you do, then Lord of the Rings clocks in at 133 minutes. If you
mean any film, then there are plenty of anime films that clock in at
that time. Examples include Genma Taisen (aka Harmageddon) at 131
minutes, Dagger of Kamui (132-133 minutes) and Arcadia of My Youth
(clocking in around 130 minutes). That's just an example of anime available
here. One that hasn't been released uncut here is Osamu Tezuka's
Phoenix 2772, and I believe that also clocks in around the 130-minute
time (but I'm not totally certain). There's probably other examples
but that's up to other anime fans to answer.

cheers, mark pope
terrapin anime society
ex-vp, but still vip

Ric Dube

Jun 29, 1994, 6:26:10 PM6/29/94
bef...@pitt.edu (Brian E Foote) writes:

> I don't have my tape handy here at work, but after the
>25 times of seeing Aladdin, it seems like it is a little beyond
>the 90 minute mark. Am I totally off?

For seeing Aladdin 25 times? Yeah, I'd say you're completely off.

Theresa Wymer

Jun 29, 1994, 9:57:24 PM6/29/94
Elisabeth Anne Riba (l...@netcom.com) wrote:
>There's been some discussion in reviews of "Lion King" about Disney's
>90 minute limit on animated flicks. I always thought this was based
>on the amount of time it takes to animate, rather than an arbitrary
>estimate of kids' attention spans.
>So, I was wondering how long the longest animated film was? I'm
>interested in original (as opposed to rehashes of old cartoons like
>Daffy's Mysterious Island) fully-animated films (not Roger Rabbit or
>Cool World)
>Anyone know?

Dig, dig..as I shuffle through my collection of Japanese animation, I
find the first and third _Gundam_ movies are 140 minutes each (the second
clocks in at a measly 120); _The Dagger of Kamui_ is 137; _Akira_ is 124;
and _Adieu Galaxy Express 999_ is 134. I suspect that the short running
times of animated movies in the US are limited more by concerns for the
audience's attention span rather than the difficulties of animating a
long movie. The films listed above are targeted for a teen or adult
market, rather than families with young children.

Theresa Ann Wymer twy...@cie-2.uoregon.edu "If I threw popcorn
into the blue sky
and made it snow/
Oh, would you think
it was wonderful?"

dr white timothy rey

Jun 30, 1994, 1:18:19 AM6/30/94

: Do you only want American (Western) animated films only?

: If you do, then Lord of the Rings clocks in at 133 minutes. If you
: mean any film, then there are plenty of anime films that clock in at
: that time. Examples include Genma Taisen (aka Harmageddon) at 131
: minutes, Dagger of Kamui (132-133 minutes) and Arcadia of My Youth
: (clocking in around 130 minutes). That's just an example of anime available
: here. One that hasn't been released uncut here is Osamu Tezuka's
: Phoenix 2772, and I believe that also clocks in around the 130-minute
: time (but I'm not totally certain). There's probably other examples
: but that's up to other anime fans to answer.

And then there are Chinese animated films, which seem to last a lifetime
(sorta like Chinese opera...). If anyone is desperately interested, I
might look up some names and running times...

--
Dr Timothy R White
Dept of English Lang & Lit

HURTT CHRISTOPHER MICHAEL

Jun 30, 1994, 10:56:59 AM6/30/94
In article <2usqj5$a...@mojo.eng.umd.edu>,

Mark S. Pope <whit...@eng.umd.edu> wrote:
>In article <lisCs5...@netcom.com> l...@netcom.com (Elisabeth Anne Riba) writes:
>>There's been some discussion in reviews of "Lion King" about Disney's
>>interested in original (as opposed to rehashes of old cartoons like
>>Daffy's Mysterious Island) fully-animated films (not Roger Rabbit or
>>Cool World)
>>Anyone know?
>>
>>--
>
>Do you only want American (Western) animated films only?
>If you do, then Lord of the Rings clocks in at 133 minutes. If you
>mean any film, then there are plenty of anime films that clock in at

If you allow for independant animators I'm willing to bet Harry
Smith's "Heaven and Earth Magic" is near or at the top. I don't have
the running time with me, but it's probably around 3hours. Only him
working on it too.

Chris

--
{ Chris Hurtt | - Independant Avante-Guarde Animator/Filmmaker - }
{ Boulder, CO | "The turn of the road all night went down the lift up }

Timothy Fay

Jun 30, 1994, 1:40:14 PM6/30/94
Mark S. Pope (whit...@eng.umd.edu) wrote:
>In article <lisCs5...@netcom.com> l...@netcom.com (Elisabeth Anne Riba) writes:
>
>...One that hasn't been released uncut here is Osamu Tezuka's

>Phoenix 2772, and I believe that also clocks in around the 130-minute
>time (but I'm not totally certain)...

The original running time of PHOENIX 2772 was 120 minutes, but it was cut
to 90 minutes for home video release (both in Japan and in the U.S.; the
U.S. release is titled SPACE FIREBIRD).

--
Reply to: ava...@wings.micro.umn.edu
fayx...@maroon.tc.umn.edu

"My mental facilities are TWICE what yours are -- you pea brain!"
-Percival McLeach

SBC5a

Jun 30, 1994, 2:42:41 AM6/30/94
In article <Cs66E...@mediastation.com>,

I saw an animated film on "Bravo" once that went on for quite some
time, it was incredibly well done (black & white, but each frame must
have taken about an hour). It was quite long, I don't know the name.
It was about some guy going to prison in a British-style courtroom. (I.E.
the judge was wearing a wig.) It was 100% animated.

Talk about sketchy details! (Pun intended)

In fact, I should probably ask for an I.D. of it so I can find it
again. ... ?

Ben Chadwick
sb...@helga6.acc.virginia.edu
shoot me before I pun again!

Timothy Fay

Jun 30, 1994, 5:49:25 PM6/30/94
Theresa Wymer (twy...@cie-2.uoregon.edu) wrote:

>...I suspect that the short running
>times of animated movies in the US are limited more by concerns for the
>audience's attention span rather than the difficulties of animating a
>long movie.

That's part of it. If you notice, the average running time of most films
is about 100 minutes. This allows enough time for a film to tell a story,
but also maximizes the number of times the theater owner can show the movie
(you can make more money by showing a 100 minute film five times a day,
than showing a 150 minute film three times a day).

Brett Middleton

Jun 30, 1994, 9:03:11 PM6/30/94
Just for fun(?), I dug out the run times for 178 animated films
(both domestic and foreign), excluding films with live-action
footage. The information came from Lenburg (2nd edition) and
the Whole Toon catalog. A few non-theatrical works may have
slipped in, and I may have missed a few, but I think the sample
is pretty good. To summarize in somewhat arbitrary groups:

Run time |
(minutes) | # Films
----------|--------
Under 70 | 8
70 - 74 | 24
75 - 79 | 38
80 - 84 | 31
85 - 89 | 16
90 - 94 | 33
95 - 99 | 9
100 - 109 | 8
110 - 119 | 2
120 - 129 | 3
Over 129 | 6

Reported run times seem to vary by a minute or two for any given
feature, even when the film is not known to be edited. The most
frequent individual run times are: 75 minutes (16 films), 80 (14)
and 90 (15). The average, if that means anything here, is 85
minutes. Most of the 90 minute films were foreign (either asian
or european). Most of the Disney films were in the 75 +/- 5 area.

The shortest film I found was a 1943 Disney release entitled
"Saludos Amigos" (43 minutes). (However, Lenburg points out
that it was not originally intended as a theatrical feature.)
Next shortest was a 1961 film entitled "Of Stars and Men" (53
minutes). A Russian film entitled "The Snow Queen" clocks in
at 55 minutes. Other shorties include several at 63 minutes:
"Dumbo," "The Land Before Time," "Santa and the Three Bears,"
and "Samurai Pizza Cats: The Movie."

The longest film I found was "G.I. Joe: Arise, Serpentor, Arise!"
at 148 minutes. However, I'm not sure that one was a theatrical
release. Next longest were several anime films: "Odin: Photon
Space Sailor Star Light" (139), "Harmagedon" and "Dagger of Kamui"
(132). Other long features include: "Lord of the Rings" (131),
"Arcadia of My Youth" (130), "Akira" (124) and "Fantasia" (120).

What earthly use any of this information will be is beyond me.
(Especially since 82 people will now point out the ways in
which this "analysis" is incredibly shallow, incorrect and
boneheaded. B-) (Does Mr. Evanier want to take first swing,
now that he's finally added us to his CI$ and FIDO hangouts?)

Brett

*SLMW 1.0* "This has been another Useless Fact." <clang!>

Nicholas Molfetas

Jun 30, 1994, 10:01:39 PM6/30/94
In article <2usqj5$a...@mojo.eng.umd.edu>,
Mark S. Pope <whit...@eng.umd.edu> wrote:
>[...]

>Do you only want American (Western) animated films only?
>If you do, then Lord of the Rings clocks in at 133 minutes. If you

Uhmmm... I'm not really sure LotR would qualify for a "fully animated" film.
Some parts are clearly shot live and then processed to look animated (I think
the colors are changed in some funny way), eg. some shots inside The Prancing
Pony, some battle scenes with lots of Orcs, and other shots where lots of
people were around ( = hard to animate) but no lead characters.

It's been about 7 years (!!) since I saw the film so I can't really remember to
what extent this "trick" was used, but it was definitely enough to save the
animators a lot of time and hassle (so that the 133 min. length was still
feasible).

Then of course comes the whole question of quality of animation etc., which
means that an 80 min. film can be a much harder accomplishment than a 130 min
one ; it also means you can arbitrarily declare any animated film as the
"longest of its kind" ;-)

Nicholas

dr white timothy rey

Jun 30, 1994, 10:55:50 PM6/30/94
HURTT CHRISTOPHER MICHAEL (hu...@ucsu.Colorado.EDU) wrote:

: If you allow for independant animators I'm willing to bet Harry

: Smith's "Heaven and Earth Magic" is near or at the top. I don't have
: the running time with me, but it's probably around 3hours. Only him
: working on it too.

Nope. Just 66 minutes. It only SEEMS like 3 hours.

Jason Rigler

Jul 1, 1994, 9:02:57 PM7/1/94
: release. Next longest were several anime films: "Odin: Photon

: Space Sailor Star Light" (139), "Harmagedon" and "Dagger of Kamui"
: (132). Other long features include: "Lord of the Rings" (131),
: "Arcadia of My Youth" (130), "Akira" (124) and "Fantasia" (120).

Geez, and I felt EVERY minute of Arcadia of My Youth, too.. wasted most
of my youth watching it, it seemed.

Brandi Weed

Jul 2, 1994, 5:10:07 PM7/2/94
In article <2urnm4$s...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu>,

Richard F. Drushel <r...@po.CWRU.Edu> wrote:
> Ralph Bakshi's "The Lord of the Rings" is probably close to
>the top of the list (if not at the top) with a running time of 2.5
>hours or so...granted that Ralph used lots of thinly-described
>rotoscoping for all those orc-hordes (from "Zulu"), so the actual
>de novo animation is considerably less than 2.5 hours.

Funny, I thought the bulk of the orc-battles rotoscoping was from Alexander
Nevsky; the closest thing to Zulus I remember was from the many many
rotoscoped battles in Wizards.

--
Brandi Weed "Hm. If I thought my hair knew what my
bw...@muddcs.claremont.edu brain was thinking, I'd shave it off

Savage Henry

Jul 2, 1994, 9:41:23 PM7/2/94
Elisabeth Anne Riba (l...@netcom.com) wrote:
: There's been some discussion in reviews of "Lion King" about Disney's

Akira is the longest one I have ever seen....

|Savage Henry | hman...@muselab.ac.runet.edu | Radford University |
|Hal Mangold | Svge...@aol.com | America OnLine |
|"It's my heart, and it does'nt fit yours..." The Spinanes, Hawaiian Baby|

David Uy

Jul 2, 1994, 9:39:48 AM7/2/94
Steve Stanchfield (ste...@mediastation.com) wrote:

> Raggedy Ann and Andy originally clocked in at 136 minutes before video
> release (a LOT is missing from that).

Not necessarily related to running time but still on the subject of
"Raggedy Ann and Andy" (1977 20th Century Fox) is that the film was
originally an anamorphic Panavision 2.35:1. The video release, on top
of missing alot of time is probably missing a significant amount of
the picture as well. Was this ever released on LD? I wouldn't mind
seeing it properly letterboxed. Well, sorry for the sidetrack ...

I saw a trailer yesterday for a really cheezy looking 20th Century Fox
animated film with Whoopie Goldburg as one of the voice actors. I think
the film was called "The Pagemaster" or something like that.

--
David Uy INTERNET: dav...@ee.umr.edu
"A pox on the phoney King of England!" OR: d...@umr.edu

Steven Back

Jul 5, 1994, 1:00:39 PM7/5/94
OK so this is a bit from left field, but the longest animated short
is "Song of the Loon" from Tiny Toons Animaniacs, with a cut down
running time of over 12 hours!
(OK take this with a grain of salt, everyone fell asleep so can
you prove that is wasn't 12 hours? :-)

Steven Back

as...@orion.alaska.edu

Jul 6, 1994, 1:12:25 AM7/6/94
In article <Cs76n...@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, sb...@helga6.acc.Virginia.EDU (SBC5a) writes:

> I saw an animated film on "Bravo" once that went on for quite some
> time, it was incredibly well done (black & white, but each frame must
> have taken about an hour). It was quite long, I don't know the name.
> It was about some guy going to prison in a British-style courtroom. (I.E.
> the judge was wearing a wig.) It was 100% animated.

This sounds like "Deadeye Dick", which I think _is_ based on the work
by Kurt Vonnegut. However, I forget who the artist was who did the
drawing/animation.

There's also another part to the title, but it escapes me...

John L. Friese
as...@orion.alaska.edu

Mark S. Pope

Jul 9, 1994, 4:19:30 AM7/9/94
In article <1994Jul2.1...@umr.edu> dav...@ee.umr.edu (David Uy) writes:
>Steve Stanchfield (ste...@mediastation.com) wrote:
>
>> Raggedy Ann and Andy originally clocked in at 136 minutes before video
>> release (a LOT is missing from that).

Just to add a couple more, I just found out from a friend that the last
Space Battleship Yamato film, called (appropriately) FINAL YAMATO,
totals about 164 minutes in its full version. The second Yamato
film, ARRIVERDERCI YAMATO, totals around 150-152 minutes.

cheers, mark pope
univ of md

larr...@delphi.com

Jul 10, 1994, 11:21:27 PM7/10/94
Amy Lynne Plack <tr...@wpi.WPI.EDU> writes:

>> the shortest (63 minutes!) with land before time comingin as a close
>>second (66 mins.)
>
>what about Bambi? I thought that was rather short; about an hour...?

I would think the shortest would be Dumbo, as it was only 58 minutes. _That's_
shorter. I challenge you!

"CUT TO ACTION"
(_really_ obscure- who can identify it?)
-Spengo,
sounding stupid

SJC

Sep 4, 2021, 10:40:16 PM9/4/21
Bumping this topic 27 years later:
Well, unless you include the open title, it's 64,still short.

What about Hanna-Barbera alumnus Tony Benedict's independent Tony Benedict Productions 1969 (but released in 1970) "Santa and the three bears", real;sed by WB-7 Arts (yes, the Cool Cat, Speedy era)..it'
s 46 minutes long!