FYI- The Thief and the Cobbler

Paul Landis

Nov 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/19/96

i can only remember tiny bits of this one. i can't even remember if it's
any good. or if it's ever been on video. but to those who are interested,
it will be released on video in February for $15.

paul

--
plla...@freenet.columbus.oh.us

pita

Nov 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/19/96

Paul Landis wrote:

> i can only remember tiny bits of this one. i can't even remember if it's
> any good. or if it's ever been on video. but to those who are interested,
> it will be released on video in February for $15.

Is this the legendary Richard Williams "The Thief and the Cobbler"?
Relatively untouched by other hands, uncut and complete (as complete as
it ever got)? If it is, I would be very very pleased, and very
surprised. I have a feeling it is a release of "Arabian Knight", the
"augmented" (read: bastardized) version released to theaters, that
bombed in a nuclear way.

Does anyone have more information?

Mike Dobbs

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

Undoubtedly this will be the Miramax version (rather than Fred Calvert's
version) as that it the cut to which they own the rights.
Mike Dobbs
Animato!

thunderr

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

By the way, there is a copy of the original on 3/4 inch video here in
LA. A very good copy. I wouldn't bother with the new version.

Jan-Eric Nystrom

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

pita wrote:

> Is this the legendary Richard Williams "The Thief and the Cobbler"?

I attended the Richard Williams Animation Master Class in Denmark, just
a few weeks ago, and RW was very bitter about this film, and did not
want to answer any questions about it.

He certainly didn't consider it as "his film" anymore.

regards,
/////
Jan-Eric Nystrom / - - \
Helsinki, Finland (--@-@--)
E-mail: ani...@sci.fi \ _o_ /
Home page: http://www.sci.fi/~animato \_*_/
--------------------------------------oOOo---oOOo--
On the above site, you can find a free demo of the
"ANIMAC Pencil Test" software (for Mac), as well as
info on building your own animation equipment, such
as a single-frame motor or a simple animation stand.

thunderr

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

Jan-Eric Nystrom wrote:

> pita wrote:
>
> > Is this the legendary Richard Williams "The Thief and the Cobbler"?
>
> I attended the Richard Williams Animation Master Class in Denmark, just
> a few weeks ago, and RW was very bitter about this film, and did not
> want to answer any questions about it.
>
> He certainly didn't consider it as "his film" anymore.
>

> regards,
>
> Jan-Eric Nystrom

Understandable. They destroyed and preverted enough of the film to make
it less than it was.

Jan-Eric Nystrom

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

> > > pita wrote:
> > > Is this the legendary Richard Williams "The Thief and the Cobbler"?

> > Jan-Eric wrote:
> > I attended the Richard Williams Animation Master Class in Denmark, just
> > a few weeks ago, and RW was very bitter about this film, and did not
> > want to answer any questions about it.
> > He certainly didn't consider it as "his film" anymore.

> thunderr wrote:
> Understandable. They destroyed and preverted enough of the film to make
> it less than it was.

Jan-Eric again:

I found a review on this film in the on-line version of "fps" magazine:

http://www.cam.org/~pawn/reviews5.html#cobbler

Jan-Eric Nystrom

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

One more note:

Check the article "Last Word: The Theft of the Thief",
by Harry McCracken at:

http://www.cam.org/~pawn/lastword7.html

thunderr

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

Great article. Thanks.

Widya Santoso

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

Jan-Eric Nystrom <ani...@sci.fi> writes:

>I found a review on this film in the on-line version of "fps" magazine:

>http://www.cam.org/~pawn/reviews5.html#cobbler

Wow- it's still there? Thanks, Emru.

Please note that this review is of the Australian cut, which is a more
complete version than the US release, and thus, the comments in my
article may not coincide with things in the US release, which is to my
understanding a much "changed" film.
--
Widya Santoso wi...@macquarie.matra.com.au +61 6 288 0405
"Oh John, once we had something that was pure and good and...