Sonic the Hedgehog

RON, ELECT. CARD DESIGN, 42-2, X2489

Oct 3, 1993, 9:29:15 PM10/3/93

Some miscellaneous Sonic musings:

At the risk of seeming dense, what happened to Cat on last week's show?
Was he roboticized, killed, or what?

Re. "what is Sally?": the editor of the letter column in Issue #5 of the
Sonic comic says she's a squirrel, but I don't believe him - not with a
short tail like that. I still favor chipmunk myself.

Saturday's episode wasn't too bad - the "robot double" has been done before,
but the characters are interesting enough that I didn't mind too much.
(Although it _was_ a bit annoying how something _always_ seemed to interfere
with Sally being roboticized just in time - how convenient!)

I'd still like to know how Bunny ended up as a cyborg. Wonder if they'll
ever tell us?

This show could be another "Ewoks" in terms of furriness/character
development, but I have a feeling they won't develop the characters as
well as they did on "Ewoks" - maybe the video game limits them too much,
or they don't have the time/budget to do it, or whatever.

Still, it's probably the most interesting thing on Saturday AM (IMHO).
(How's that for flame bait?) :^)

One more thing I forgot about yesterday's episode:

DYN when Snivelly (sp?) is bringing out the memory for the Sally robot he
tells Robotnik "here we are - enough memory to imitate _human_ complexity"?

This for a replica of a _furry_ :^)

Who wants to debate "are furries more or less than human?" :^)

(Probably the wrong group, and I'm kidding - I doubt we'd resolve it, it would
get into religious concepts, etc., and it's all hypothetical anyway...)

RDB

Eric E. Pearson

Oct 3, 1993, 11:27:37 PM10/3/93

According to brad...@outb.wimsey.bc.ca (Brad Clark):

BAU...@THING1.ERIE.GE.COM muses:

>DYN when Snivelly (sp?) is bringing out the memory for the Sally robot >he tells Robotnik "here we are - enough memory to imitate _human_ >complexity"?

>This for a replica of a _furry_ :^)

Yeah, I THOUGHT it was odd that Snivelly would refer to a Furry as "human"!
Probably a case of creative infarc on DIC's part =).

BAU...@THING1.ERIE.GE.COM writes:

>Still, it's probably the most interesting thing on Saturday AM (IMHO).
>(How's that for flame bait?) :^)

Flame bait? Actually, I think it's one of the better NEW Saturday morning 'toons, and probably the best thing I've seen from DIC in years.

Jus' my 2 cents,

Eric Pearson
pea...@rpi.edu

Fuzzy Fox

Oct 3, 1993, 11:54:23 PM10/3/93
BAU...@THING1.ERIE.GE.COM ("RON, ELECT. CARD DESIGN, 42-2, X2489") writes:

>Some miscellaneous Sonic musings:

>At the risk of seeming dense, what happened to Cat on last week's show?
>Was he roboticized, killed, or what?

He was obviously a throwaway character. Too bad; I liked him.

>Re. "what is Sally?": the editor of the letter column in Issue #5 of the
>Sonic comic says she's a squirrel, but I don't believe him - not with a
>short tail like that. I still favor chipmunk myself.

It has been discovered that some species of ground squirrel have short
tails like Sally's, though it still seems highly unconventional to
choose a species that the viewer won't instantly recognize. I think the
artists just drew her without thinking too hard about what animal she
is. :)

>I'd still like to know how Bunny ended up as a cyborg. Wonder if they'll
>ever tell us?

Her origin is in the comic book. She was rescued partway through the
robotocization process (by Sonic, of course).

>This show could be another "Ewoks" in terms of furriness/character
>development, but I have a feeling they won't develop the characters as
>well as they did on "Ewoks" - maybe the video game limits them too much,
>or they don't have the time/budget to do it, or whatever.

They're also constrained by what's happened in the comic book. Although
they did change Boomer's name to Rotor, and Sally's hair from Black to
Red. Though it was originally Blonde. Go figure. :)

>DYN when Snivelly (sp?) is bringing out the memory for the Sally robot he
>tells Robotnik "here we are - enough memory to imitate _human_ complexity"?

>This for a replica of a _furry_ :^)

That must be why the robot wasn't a complete duplicate. :)

--
----- David DeSimone ----- Fuzzy Fox ----- f...@netcom.com ------------
This signature is UNREGISTERED! If you continue to find this

D. Scott Miller, TAMS Anime Alumni

Oct 4, 1993, 5:13:40 PM10/4/93
In article <9310032129...@THING1.ERIE.GE.COM>, BAU...@THING1.ERIE.GE.COM ("RON, ELECT. CARD DESIGN, 42-2, X2489") writes:

> Some miscellaneous Sonic musings:
> [...]

> Still, it's probably the most interesting thing on Saturday AM (IMHO).
> (How's that for flame bait?) :^)

You bet! ExoSquad better not be on Sat mornings in your area... :)

--
The Rainbow Mage
Scott Miller/"Miraa" <<>> Mi...@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu

Dana Uehara

Oct 4, 1993, 3:16:50 PM10/4/93
In article <28o579$d...@usenet.rpi.edu> pea...@rpi.edu writes:
>BAU...@THING1.ERIE.GE.COM writes:
> >Still, it's probably the most interesting thing on Saturday AM (IMHO).
> >(How's that for flame bait?) :^)
>
>Flame bait? Actually, I think it's one of the better NEW Saturday morning
>'toons, and probably the best thing I've seen from DIC in years.

Agreed. Anyone who's seen the weekday versions of Sonic would probably
agree with me that the weekday episodes have *nothing* on the Sat AM ones.

Are the Sat AM shows a continuing (i.e., 13-episode) series? Last
Saturday's episode didn't really seem to be a continuation of the one
shown the Saturday before...

--
============== Dana Uehara (due...@yosemite.atmos.ucla.edu) ================
"Stuff it in your windsock!"

E. Kontei

Oct 4, 1993, 4:58:38 PM10/4/93
In article <1993Oct4...@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu>, mi...@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu (D. Scott Miller, TAMS Anime Alumni) writes:
> > Still, it's probably the most interesting thing on Saturday AM (IMHO).
> > (How's that for flame bait?) :^)
>
> You bet! ExoSquad better not be on Sat mornings in your area... :)

Is ExoSquad on ANYWHERE in the Chicago area? I haven't seen a thing...

--
E n r i q u e C o n t y
Musekinin Programmer

Ron Bauerle

Oct 5, 1993, 1:15:42 PM10/5/93
In article 78...@math.ucla.edu, due...@yosemite.math.ucla.edu (Dana Uehara) writes:

>Are the Sat AM shows a continuing (i.e., 13-episode) series? Last
>Saturday's episode didn't really seem to be a continuation of the one
>shown the Saturday before...

Don't seem to be - all three shown so far seem to have no common
thread. One of them said something about Sally's missing father, and
brought in a character called Cat but didn't resolve what happened to him.

Given the concept and the characters, I almost wish it _was_ a
continuing series.

New thread: any ideas on what natural process produces those power
rings? And what exactly can one do with them? Can only Sonic use
them?

RDB