Speed Racer

Phil Saladyk

Jan 5, 1993, 10:59:44 AM1/5/93
Hi !!

I was flicking through the channels the other night and caught the last
30 seconds of Speed Racer on MTV around 10:00 pm Central Time. Is this
a regular thing on MTV or did I miss the one and only time they are going
to show it.

Thanks in advance.
Phil Saladyk
Comshare

Dave Van Domelen

Jan 5, 1993, 11:18:22 AM1/5/93
Yes, Speed Racer is on MTV "regularly". Unfortunately, they aren't so good
about doing things like schedules, so you have to guess and hope. Generally it
is after Liquid TV (which usually is listed) or after any Liquid TV
condensations after the regular show. Often it is listed as "Rockumentary" in
schedules, which seems to be MTV code for "We have NO F*CKING IDEA what will be
in this slot at the time we have to submit the schedule." Ren & Stimpy aired
in the Rockumentary slot for a while, as did Liquid TV.
Dave Van Domelen, "Skull Duggery"???? Odd, I didn't remember the names
being quite so stupid when I was a kid...}->

Larry W. Virden

Jan 5, 1993, 11:52:43 AM1/5/93

A posting over in rec.arts.tv listed some debuting syndicated
series listed in Broadcasting Jan 4, 1993.

The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog (Bohbot)
Bonkers (Buena Vista - this will be part of the Disney Afternoon series)
Captain Planet (Turner - actually, this has been in syndication for some time)
Conan the Adventurer (Claster - same here)
Dirt Clods (Gunther-Wahl)
Earthship Pyramid (Gunther-Wahl)
The Pink Panther (Claster)
The Hallo Spencer Show (Saban)
Mr. Bogus (Zodiac)
XUXA (MTM)

Also, there was the following weekly series were listed, which I suspect
are also animated - I know I saw the first toy commercial for one of them...

Biker Mice From Mars (Genesis)
Exosquad (MCA TV)
My Little Pony Tales (Sunbow)
Mad Scientist's Toon Club (Saban)
New Adventures of Speed Racer (Group W)
Star Kids Challenge (Litton)
Transformer Generation 2 (Claster)
Twinkle (Zodiac)

as well as two untitled weekly by Hearst Animation and Viacom.

Some of those may not be animated, but most I suspect will be.
Also, E! reported this morning that Robby Benson has signed on for
a voice on Exosquad to begin in the Fall.

The toy commercial (I guess) that I saw was for Transformers - lots of
computer animation in it...
--
Larry W. Virden UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lvirden
Same Mbox: BITNET: lvirden@cas INET: lvi...@cas.org

E. Kontei

Jan 5, 1993, 1:33:30 PM1/5/93
In article <1993Jan5.1...@cas.org>, lw...@cas.org (Larry W. Virden) writes:

> A posting over in rec.arts.tv listed some debuting syndicated
> series listed in Broadcasting Jan 4, 1993.

[...]

> Bonkers (Buena Vista - this will be part of the Disney Afternoon series)

Oh joy. :-|

> The Hallo Spencer Show (Saban)

> Mad Scientist's Toon Club (Saban)

Given that Saban specializes in imported anime,
I wonder what these shows originally were...

> XUXA (MTM)

This is not animated (I hope!). It's a Mexican children's variety show.

> My Little Pony Tales (Sunbow)

GAK!

> Transformer Generation 2 (Claster)

So now it's official.

BTW, that computer-generated ad was for the Marvel Comics
TRANSFORMERS: SECOND GENERATION comic book.
--
E n r i q u e C o n t y
Master of Science!

Yong-Mi Kim

Jan 5, 1993, 9:40:28 PM1/5/93
In article <1993Jan5.1...@cbnewsl.cb.att.com> co...@cbnewsl.cb.att.com (E. Kontei) writes:
>In article <1993Jan5.1...@cas.org>, lw...@cas.org (Larry W. Virden) writes:
>>
>> A posting over in rec.arts.tv listed some debuting syndicated
>> series listed in Broadcasting Jan 4, 1993.
>> XUXA (MTM)
>This is not animated (I hope!). It's a Mexican children's variety show.

Xou da Xuxa is a children's variety show shown in Brazil and other
South American countries. The hostess herself, Xuxa (say 'shoo-shah'),
is Brazilian, and the most recent version of the show I've seen was
produced in Argentina. It mixes children's games and live performances
with segments of animation - for example, one episode of "Inspector
Gadget" will be shown during the 3 or so hours Xou da Xuxa lasts,
so that you have to sit through the entire show to watch one episode
of animation. There have been Xuxa movies in Brazil, and I have seen
some animation featuring Xuxa as a character, so I would not discount
the possibility of an animated series featuring Xuxa.

yong-mi
alo alo alo

Steven Chung

Jan 5, 1993, 10:21:06 PM1/5/93

As of a few weeks ago, it was also (in addition to an evening time) on
Saturday mornings at nine (or just before Darkwing Duck, whichever you
prefer).

It's really a lot cheesier than I remember from the bad old days.

VGR (Craig Pell)

Jan 5, 1993, 10:39:55 PM1/5/93
In article <1993Jan5.1...@cas.org> lvi...@cas.org (Larry W. Virden) writes:

>A posting over in rec.arts.tv listed some debuting syndicated
>series listed in Broadcasting Jan 4, 1993.
>
>Bonkers (Buena Vista - this will be part of the Disney Afternoon series)

I have high hopes for this. Bonkers can be genuinely funny, and he's got a
good supporting cast, so far. Unlike the "Raw Toonage" shorts, he'll be working
a lot with (animated) humans, I hear.

>Mr. Bogus (Zodiac)

I've seen this on FOX on Sunday mornings. Neat claymation, but rotten
animation. And worst of all, Mr. Bogus's voice is unbearable. Pathetic.

>Also, there was the following weekly series were listed, which I suspect
>are also animated - I know I saw the first toy commercial for one of them...
>

>My Little Pony Tales (Sunbow)

Hmmmmm. Marvel and Sunbow get a chance to make the right decision. The very
first "My Little Pony" shows were decent, set in a D&D setting and not so
interested in keeping kids entertained "cutely."

>New Adventures of Speed Racer (Group W)

I won't even touch that.

>Transformer Generation 2 (Claster)

I knew it would happen, but I didn't think it would happen so soon. :-)
YES!!
--
| $000C35FA <>-----=------------------------=----=----<>
VGR | (1812 Overture) | "The size of the brain is no measure of |
| I GIVE UP | its capacity." - Mr. Jonathan Frisby |
| YOU MUST BE A VIDEO WHIZ <>-----=---------=------------------------<>

Timothy Fay

Jan 6, 1993, 4:15:43 PM1/6/93
VGR (Craig Pell) (vgri...@wam.umd.edu) wrote:
>In article <1993Jan5.1...@cas.org> lvi...@cas.org (Larry W. Virden) writes:
>>
>>A posting over in rec.arts.tv listed some debuting syndicated
>>series listed in Broadcasting Jan 4, 1993.
>>
>>Bonkers (Buena Vista - this will be part of the Disney Afternoon series)
>
>I have high hopes for this. Bonkers can be genuinely funny, and he's got a
>good supporting cast, so far. Unlike the "Raw Toonage" shorts, he'll be working
>a lot with (animated) humans, I hear.

And, unfortunately for all you Fawn Deer fans, I hear that she won't be
in these new Bonkers cartoons at all (Fawn is Bonkers' femme fatale on
RAW TOONAGE).

--
Reply to: ava...@wings.micro.umn.edu

"My mental facilities are TWICE what yours are -- you pea brain!"
-Percival MacLeach