Re: Crossovers we'd love to see

Warewolf

Jan 5, 2008, 2:15:53 PM1/5/08
"Cardinal 1" <card...@erols.com> wrote in
news:5vadncIDh8wcoeDa...@rcn.net:

> When you've seen as many cartoons as I have (without requiring therapy
> afterward), you start to see how perfectly some of them could be
> combined. One crossover I'd really love to see would be between "Sonic
> X" and "Samurai Pizza Cats," two anime series starring small animals
> that can kick ass and be cute at the same time. Just imagine the
> interactions: Guido hitting on Amy, only to get hammered; Big Cheese
> and Eggman teaming up while secretly planning to double-cross each
> other; Princess Vi being jealous of Rouge; Speedy using his magic
> sword to slice open one of Eggman's giant robots; etc.
>
> What crossover(s) would you love to see, and why?

It would depend on how you want them depicted.

If you're talking about artwork or fanfiction, I'd say that almost
anything would go. I've seen pictures with Kim Possible being allied
with certain Totally Spies and came up with a few story ideas that placed
the characters of Daria in situations ala Sabrina the Teenage Witch (by
giving Jane a spellbook), Rockman.EXE (by making a small change to the
first episode, Esteemsters, and sending Jake to the Virus Lab where Daria
meets their first PET, Jane.EXE) and Transformers (where, during one of
Daria's dreams, she and Jane put an end to the Cybertronian War in their
own unique, cynical manner).

I've even seen some Flash flicks (ie Waterman, Rokemon; Rise of the
Mushroom Kingdom) that used the various characters in a very clever
manner.

If, on the other hand, you're talking about something bigger like a film
or video game (series) you might want to be careful - even putting aside
the effects of gimmicks like gummi berry juice on Gargoyles and Irkens,
you'll want to make sure that the characters you use stay in character
(and, in the case of a fighting game, turn-based strategy or RPG, that
the controls are intuitive and the 'puzzles' have more than one solution
- no need for choke points). Fans (if not the current copyright holders)
are fickle so there could be a bit of a uproar if Robin or Kim is able to
defeat Thanos (or each other) with one punch. ~_^

There's also the point of licensing if you want to 'charge admission' -
the people that created them (if not the businesses that currently
'employ' them) will want their piece of the proverbial pie and that could
mean that they (or a fellow 'suit') could butt into the project at any
time. (usually with a 'Cease and Desist' letter unless the rules of 'Fair
Use' still have some bite) 9_9

In other words, there are a lot of crossovers that I'd like to see even
if, for no other reason, specific scenes would be cool (ie Daria as an
earthworm in a mechanical suit, a certain 'Manhunter' meeting some fellow
Martians, certain Pussycats getting conjoined; A certain samurai named
Jack finally going home). It would add extra depth to an already
innovative property (or, in the case of series like Gadget Boy, Winx Club
or Super Milk Chan, salvage whatever entertainment value they had left).

As with anything else, we'll see how it goes. (There is always Robot
Chicken, if you're desperate) ^_^

Signed,
Warewolf
who has posted more than his share of crossovers on various groups and
forums...he just can't remember which ones. 9_9

P.S. Sorry for the crosspost. *blush*

Warewolf

Jan 7, 2008, 3:36:21 PM1/7/08
But let's cut to the chase...

Since Disney's Aladdin and the classic Road Runner shorts are set in a
desert, it wouldn't surprise me if the stars of the latter somehow wound
up in the former's pavement-free area...and if a certain 'birdbrain'
didn't stir up some trouble for the palace guards, I'm sure the citizens
of Agribah would be (a little) surprised by a talking 'jackal'. ;^)

Since Timmy Turner (of Fairly Oddparents fame) and a certain 'Wishkid'
both have magical methods of solving their problems, one would think that
one of them would have solution for the latter's problem with a certain
bully, if not his parent's clogged ears/empty heads.

Two boys (one named Simon and another named Rudy Patootie...and possibly
a bear named Rupert) could discuss the workings of a certain 'Land of
Chalk Drawings', a pair of principals (one named Skinner, another named
Greedyguts) could argue over school funding and a certain crass, yellow
Duck-man, if he didn't have a bone to pick with anyone else in his neck
of the food chain (ie Daffy, Donald, Howard, a certain 'Superduck') would
probably get in some trouble with such 'feminazis' as a certain 'Elven'
superhero and a pair of upstart 'amazons'.

And who wouldn't want to see (more) robots fighting...?

Mighty Orbots vs Voltron/Go-Lion
Big Guy and Rusty vs Megatron
Macross vs Gundam W(ing)

or falling in love?

Rusty & Ono (from Mighty Orbots)
XJ-9 (a Teenage Robot) & Zeta (from Batman Beyond and Zeta Project)
Robot Jones and a certain Ann Droid (of Jacob Two-Two fame)

or simply hanging out with other characters?

(I'm sure that a heartbroken Sheldon will cheer up once he gets a kiss
from a former battle robot - aka Sarah Roborson from the Quack Pack
episode, Unusual Suspects)

The possibilities for these types of crossovers are endless but, as you
can guess, the enjoyment of the person reading/viewing the resulting
stories and artwork would depend on how many shows he/she is familiar
with. Still, I think that your skills are good enough to introduce your
audience to series they haven't seen before and could enjoy enough to
produce their own wonderous works.

And perhaps some long-tailed Pussycats will learn what it takes to be
'Truly Outrageous' with the fans.

One can only hope.

Spoon.

Patrick Joseph Mc Namara

Jan 8, 2008, 10:55:34 AM1/8/08

"Warewolf" <warewol...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> But let's cut to the chase...
>
> Since Disney's Aladdin and the classic Road Runner shorts are set in a
> desert, it wouldn't surprise me if the stars of the latter somehow wound
> up in the former's pavement-free area...and if a certain 'birdbrain'
> didn't stir up some trouble for the palace guards, I'm sure the citizens
> of Agribah would be (a little) surprised by a talking 'jackal'. ;^)

They're two different deserts: the American West and the Arabian desert.
It's doubtful they would run into each other.

> And who wouldn't want to see (more) robots fighting...?
>
> Mighty Orbots vs Voltron/Go-Lion
> Big Guy and Rusty vs Megatron
> Macross vs Gundam W(ing)

That's the premise of Super Robot Wars. Copyright complexity prevents it
from being liscenced for NA.

Paul

Jan 8, 2008, 11:25:08 AM1/8/08
"Patrick Joseph Mc Namara" <writer...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> "Warewolf" <warewol...@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> But let's cut to the chase...
>>
>> Since Disney's Aladdin and the classic Road Runner shorts are set in
>> a desert, it wouldn't surprise me if the stars of the latter somehow
>> wound up in the former's pavement-free area...and if a certain
>> 'birdbrain' didn't stir up some trouble for the palace guards, I'm
>> sure the citizens of Agribah would be (a little) surprised by a
>> talking 'jackal'. ;^)
>>

> They're two different deserts: the American West and the Arabian
> desert. It's doubtful they would run into each other.

I knew I should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque....

:)

--
Paul

Warewolf

Jan 8, 2008, 1:30:26 PM1/8/08
"Patrick Joseph Mc Namara" <writer...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:fm06da
$npo$1...@aioe.org:

> "Warewolf" <warewol...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

>> But let's cut to the chase...
>>
>> Since Disney's Aladdin and the classic Road Runner shorts are set in a
>> desert, it wouldn't surprise me if the stars of the latter somehow
>> wound up in the former's pavement-free area...and if a certain
>> 'birdbrain' didn't stir up some trouble for the palace guards, I'm
>> sure the citizens of Agribah would be (a little) surprised by a
>> talking 'jackal'. ;^)
>>

> They're two different deserts: the American West and the Arabian
> desert. It's doubtful they would run into each other.

True enough but the original animators for the Road Runner shorts tended to
fudge their own rules (plus Agribah is a place that's 'fat with magic') so,
if a roadside river can have two waterfalls, then a bird and coyote can be
so focused on their goals that they fail to notice that they're in the
wrong desert...until it's too late.

Add to that the fact that they're both animated cartoons and you can see
how such an event can occur.

('It can happen here!' as they say in Wackyland)

>> And who wouldn't want to see (more) robots fighting...?
>>
>> Mighty Orbots vs Voltron/Go-Lion
>> Big Guy and Rusty vs Megatron
>> Macross vs Gundam W(ing)
>>

> That's the premise of Super Robot Wars.

Now how did I know you were going to say that? ;^)

Then again, have any of the above robots (particularly the Autobots,
Decepticons, Big Guy and Mighty Orbots) made an appearance in the series?
I don't think I've seen the first two examples mentioned on Wikipedia.

> Copyright complexity prevents it from being liscenced for NA.

In its original state, yes. However, fan translations aside, two
'episodes' of 'Original Generation' were released here in North America for
the GameBoy Advance so we got a *taste* of the series, at least. ^_^

Feel free to add to the list of crossovers, if you'd like.

I'm sure that 4-5 groups of ghost busting experts would make for some
clever (if not fitting) comedy.

Signed,
Warewolf
who also thinks that the worlds of Astro Boy/Mighty Atom, the Terminator
and the Matrix could also make for a coherent timeline.

Animatrix:Second Renaissance - Two thumbs up. Boffo. Knowhatimean?

Warewolf

Jan 8, 2008, 1:32:05 PM1/8/08
Paul <PSSawyer.does...@comcast.BAD.EXAMPLE.net> wrote in

> "Patrick Joseph Mc Namara" <writer...@yahoo.com> wrote in
>

>> They're two different deserts: the American West and the Arabian
>> desert. It's doubtful they would run into each other.
>
> I knew I should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque....

*laughs* Classic.

Signed,
Warewolf

Bill Steele

Jan 8, 2008, 3:26:56 PM1/8/08
In article <Xns9A1F6AE221E3F...@24.64.223.211>,
Warewolf <warewol...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> >> Since Disney's Aladdin and the classic Road Runner shorts are set in a
> >> desert, it wouldn't surprise me if the stars of the latter somehow
> >> wound up in the former's pavement-free area...and if a certain
> >> 'birdbrain' didn't stir up some trouble for the palace guards, I'm
> >> sure the citizens of Agribah would be (a little) surprised by a
> >> talking 'jackal'. ;^)

Surely we can be more creative than that.

How about Mickey Mouse in his "sorcerer" persona running into the
Fullmetal alchemist. Throw in Elmer Fudd from What's Opera, Doc.

Almost any Disney humanized animal wandering around in the Dragonball
universe--they'd be right at home.

Nuku Nuku vs the gal in Furi Kuri.

I don't know where, but I want to see Donald and Howard the Duck on the
same screen.

Highlander (there was an animated version) running into some
mermaid-flesh eaters. And throw in Vandal Savage from Justice League.
Imagine them all discussing old times.

An all-star catgirl convention!

Rob Kelk

Jan 8, 2008, 3:57:19 PM1/8/08
On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 15:26:56 -0500, Bill Steele <ws...@cornell.edu>
wrote:

<snip>

>I don't know where, but I want to see Donald and Howard the Duck on the
>same screen.

I can see it now: Donald, Howard, and Daffy Duck attempt to remake
"Princess Tutu". Hilarity ensues.

<snip>

Anyone for "Full Metal Alchemist Panic"? Those kids really should get a
bodyguard...

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

SeanF

Jan 8, 2008, 10:00:02 PM1/8/08
On Jan 8, 12:26�pm, Bill Steele <w...@cornell.edu> wrote:

> Surely we can be more creative than that. �
>
> How about Mickey Mouse in his "sorcerer" persona running into the
> Fullmetal alchemist. Throw in Elmer Fudd from What's Opera, Doc.

Hey, it could happen. Remember when the notion of a Disney/Final
Fantasy crossover sounded like a joke.

> Almost any Disney humanized animal wandering around in the Dragonball
> universe--they'd be right at home.

I maintain that Don Karnage and his Iron Vulture (Tale Spin) could
totally take the sky pirates from Elemental Gelade. Come to think of
it, a crossover with Porco Rosso would be just about right, too...

- Sean F.

Jack Bohn

Jan 9, 2008, 6:32:32 AM1/9/08
Bill Steele wrote:

> [...]

I suppose it's been noted that Vash the Stampede *is* the
Roadrunner of the desert planet in Trigun...

>Surely we can be more creative than that.
>
>How about Mickey Mouse in his "sorcerer" persona running into the
>Fullmetal alchemist. Throw in Elmer Fudd from What's Opera, Doc.

The soul of Elmer Fudd, bound to the armor from What's Opera,
Doc!

>Almost any Disney humanized animal wandering around in the Dragonball
>universe--they'd be right at home.

Popeye could take on any Saiyan, and he doesn't take as long
powering up! (Now, if I had any DBZ samples, I would actually
like to make this...)

--
-Jack

Message has been deleted

Stephane Dumas

Jan 9, 2008, 7:55:37 AM1/9/08

"Rob Kelk" <rob...@deadspam.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
4783e327...@news.individual.net...

> On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 15:26:56 -0500, Bill Steele <ws...@cornell.edu>
> wrote:

> I can see it now: Donald, Howard, and Daffy Duck attempt to remake
> "Princess Tutu". Hilarity ensues.

LOL and Donald Duck and Daffy once did a short crossover in "Who Framed
Roger Rabbit?"

> Anyone for "Full Metal Alchemist Panic"? Those kids really should get a
> bodyguard...

speaking of bodyguards, just imagine if Ryo Seaba of City Hunter was the
bodyguard of Rally Vincent in Gunsmith Cats ;-) or more fun in car chases, a
crossover of You're Under Arrest and Gunsmith Cats

Other crossovers I wish to see
Fairly Oddparents with Wayside. Just imagine what could happen if Timmy
meets Maurecia....
and speaking of FOP, the episode "The Big superhero wish" could give a sort
of spin-off series and a crossover with Kappa Mikey

Rocket Robin Hood with Captain Harlock or Grandizer

Stéphane Dumas

Bill Steele

Jan 9, 2008, 3:30:33 PM1/9/08
In article
<f866a196-7847-4308...@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
SeanF <SeanFa...@aol.com> wrote:

> I maintain that Don Karnage and his Iron Vulture (Tale Spin) could
> totally take the sky pirates from Elemental Gelade. Come to think of
> it, a crossover with Porco Rosso would be just about right, too...

You could also cross Porco Rosso with Steamboy. Getting surreal, it
would be really confusing if the characters from Rayearth wandered into
Cars.

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Jan 10, 2008, 12:11:22 AM1/10/08
Wed, 9 Jan 2008 3:30pm-0500, ws...@cornell.invalid <ws...@cornell.edu>:

Haha, I get it; Rayearth characters are named after cars.

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

Steve Carras

Jan 11, 2008, 1:01:17 AM1/11/08
On Jan 8, 10:30 am, Warewolf <warewolfmypa...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> "Patrick Joseph Mc Namara" <writerpatr...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:fm06da
> $np...@aioe.org:
>
> > "Warewolf" <warewolfmypa...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> >> But let's cut to the chase...
>
> >> Since Disney's Aladdin and the classic Road Runner shorts are set in a
> >> desert, it wouldn't surprise me if the stars of the latter somehow
> >> wound up in the former's pavement-free area...and if a certain
> >> 'birdbrain' didn't stir up some trouble for the palace guards, I'm
> >> sure the citizens of Agribah would be (a little) surprised by a
> >> talking 'jackal'. ;^)
>
> > They're two different deserts: the American West and the Arabian
> > desert.  It's doubtful they would run into each other.
The Road Runner and Coyote and Speedy Gonzales AND Slyvester were in
1965's abysmal but rather fun (??)
"The Wild Chase", an early DFE WB cartoon and one of the last uses of
Sylvester as anything in a Warner short of the era. Daffy Duck came
on (APPROPRIATE here) as exterminator and thus thbe Speedy Gonzales
seriues stood on tghe crossroads, with Suylvetser boweing out like the
1947 Tex Avery Slaphappy Lion, all nervous..and with Granny crossing
over..she too left inanother crossover, with Daffy and in HIS last,
Porky. (These last two. the middle was one of the longerst titled
Warner cartoons possibly ever: "It's Nice to have a Mouse around the
House",and the last mentioned was "Corn on the Cop", whose veteran WB
writer-turned director on this Friz Freleng written and produced short
(DFE), Irv Spector was working on "Linus the Lionhearted" for Graham
and Formagt at the time!

Warewolf

Jan 24, 2008, 2:24:57 PM1/24/08
and it exalts infinitely more than natural pride, but without
inflating; thus making it evident that alone being exempt from error and
vice, it alone fulfils the duty of instructing and correcting men.

Who, then, can refuse to believe and adore this heavenly light? For is it
not clearer than day that we perceive within ourselves ineffaceable marks of
excellence? And is it not equally true that we experience every hour the
results of our deplorable condition? What does this chaos and monstrous
confusion proclaim to us but the truth of these two states, with a voice so
powerful that it is impossible to resist it?

436. Weakness.--Every pursuit of men is to get wealth; and they cannot have
a title to show that they possess it justly, for they have only that of
human caprice; nor have they strength to hold it securely. It is the same
with knowledge, for disease takes it away. We are incapable both of truth
and goodness.

437. We desire truth, and find within ourselves only uncertainty.

We seek happiness, and find only misery and death.

We cannot but desire truth and happiness, and are incapable of certainty or
happiness. This desire is left to us, partly to punish us, partly to make us
perceive wherefrom we are fallen.

438. If man is not made for God, why is he only happy in God? If man is made
for God, why is he so opposed to God?

439. Nature corrupted.--Man does not act by reason, which constitutes his
being.

440. The corruption of reason is shown by the existence of so many different
and extravagant customs. It was necessary that truth should come, in order
that man should no longer dwell within himself.

441. For myself, I confess that, so soon as the Christian religion reveals
the principle that human nature is corrupt and fallen from God, that opens
my eyes to see everywhere the mark of this truth: for nature is such that
she testifies everywhere, both within man and without him, to a lost God and
a corrupt nature.

442. Man's tru