See Treasure - No Matter the Numbers

1 view

TerryVPwcsdc

Dec 11, 2002, 3:55:40 AM12/11/02
Have we as a culture gotten so dull that we will watch numbers instead
of movies?

If you saw this film you would know that every scene in Treasure
Planet is visually as deep and rich as an oil painting and has a
signature style that is a mix of 17th century and the future with a
story that hangs off of the classic Treasure Island. It has wonder
and adventure and inspires a future in our youth where there was none.
It has humor and heart and deals with real life. It's about charting
your own course no matter the squalls.

If this isn't a movie that our culture wants to embrace that inspires
a future for our youth than we are doomed to watch numbers and stare
at computer screens while our attention span gets shorter and shorter
and as a nation be dulled up victims to spin doctors and press kits
that tell us what to watch and what is good.

I went opening day to a sold out crowd of kids and adults who laughed,
cried and cheered for Jim Hawkins on his journey to find a future for
himself in a world where there was none.

Technically this movie uses every skill in the animation tool box. 2d,
3d, you name it, it's on the screen. Some of the most elaborate
special effects work and visual blending of the two mediums ever done.
The most consistant design, drawing and continuity. Some of the best
most innovative work from a veteran animation crew. This movie is a
jem. Disney hasn't done it better than this in a long time.

Stop looking at the numbers and go see the movie. Then you'll know why
Ron Clements and John Musker deserve a standing ovation for this
inspired classic and should chart their own course, no matter the
squalls.

This is way too good a movie not to go see, no matter the numbers.
Terry G,

EllisBB

Dec 11, 2002, 1:41:44 PM12/11/02
>Technically this movie uses every skill in the animation tool box. 2d,
>3d, you name it, it's on the screen. Some of the most elaborate
>special effects work and visual blending of the two mediums ever done.
>The most consistant design, drawing and continuity. Some of the best
>most innovative work from a veteran animation crew. This movie is a
>jem. Disney hasn't done it better than this in a long time.

I saw the movie Sunday, on its opening weekend. There were a total of seven
people in the theater, and the children were bored and restless, and the adults
weren't excactly clapping when the credits began to roll.

No amount of beautiful visual "muzak" will somehow transform an otherwise bland
script with a relatively overdone storyline into something that is appealing to
a rather jaded movie audience.

Think of how many times Treasure Island has already been done on film. How
much more aside from a visual facelift does Treasure Planet add? How much
depth is left in Jim Hawkins when writing via committee dilutes his personality
as much as possible in a desperate attempt to appeal to as wide an audience as
possible? Would your co-worker, family members, or any other casual member of
the general movie-going audience watch a film solely on visual merit,
scrutinizing the acting of "Dr. Doppler" and then proclaiming a movie "good"
based on that? And does anyone on the entire planet except the casting
director think that watching Martin Short do his shtick for half an hour is
worth the price of a movie ticket?

As much as it pains me to see an animated feature fail to capture an audience,
I do feel somewhat relieved that both this and Eight Crazy Nights were both
failures in their respective attempts, because both are, to varying degrees, an
abomination of film. Hopefully their failures will instill a message that
audiences want something more from the imaginative 2D medium than bland
psuedo-live action action adventures or juvenile "star" vehicles that alienate
even the star's fans.

-b.e.
Not to say that the relatively successful Santa Clause 2 isn't an abonimation
of abonimations.

Terrence Briggs

Dec 11, 2002, 2:39:51 PM12/11/02
TerryV...@aol.com (TerryVPwcsdc) wrote in message news:<425d59b5.02121...@posting.google.com>...

> Have we as a culture gotten so dull that we will watch numbers instead
> of movies?

You mean like...

Iron Giant?
Princess Mononoke?
Spirited Away?

Many of us saw those films, and moped for days wondering why no one
joined us in the theaters.

> If you saw this film you would know that every scene in Treasure
> Planet is visually as deep and rich as an oil painting <

We love animation; we just want good stories to go with them.

> and has a signature style that is a mix of 17th century and the future with a
> story that hangs off of the classic Treasure Island. <

That's the concept. It's the execution that bothers some of us
(unless you're Roger Ebert, but that's another story).

> It has wonder
> and adventure and inspires a future in our youth where there was none.
> It has humor and heart and deals with real life. It's about charting
> your own course no matter the squalls.
>
> If this isn't a movie that our culture wants to embrace that inspires
> a future for our youth than we are doomed to watch numbers and stare
> at computer screens while our attention span gets shorter and shorter
> and as a nation be dulled up victims to spin doctors and press kits
> that tell us what to watch and what is good.

I avoided the film because the hype didn't sell me on the picture.
The opinions I valued most didn't convice me to set aside those
negative preconceptions.

> I went opening day to a sold out crowd of kids and adults who laughed,
> cried and cheered for Jim Hawkins on his journey to find a future for
> himself in a world where there was none.

Why did you see the film on opening day? The hype?

> Technically this movie uses every skill in the animation tool box. 2d,
> 3d, you name it, it's on the screen. Some of the most elaborate
> special effects work and visual blending of the two mediums ever done.
> The most consistant design, drawing and continuity. Some of the best
> most innovative work from a veteran animation crew. This movie is a
> jem. Disney hasn't done it better than this in a long time.

I read similar observations of Tarzan, and saw the film after reading
the raves it received. Clunk! I know; this one's different, but I'm
leaning toward Adaptation right now. I'll eventually see TP.

> Stop looking at the numbers and go see the movie. Then you'll know why
> Ron Clements and John Musker deserve a standing ovation for this
> inspired classic and should chart their own course, no matter the
> squalls.
>
> This is way too good a movie not to go see, no matter the numbers.
> Terry G,

I'll see it... after Atlantis... on video. It's only fair.

Terrence Briggs, since 1995
Peace to you...

Derek Janssen

Dec 11, 2002, 3:15:58 PM12/11/02
Terrence Briggs wrote:

> > If you saw this film you would know that every scene in Treasure
> > Planet is visually as deep and rich as an oil painting <
>
> We love animation; we just want good stories to go with them.
>
> I read similar observations of Tarzan, and saw the film after reading
> the raves it received. Clunk!

At least I know I'm not the only person who was baffled by the rave
reviews for "Tarzan":
A movie which, due to technical difficulties, showed up late to the
party, came out *after* Mulan, and was still saddled with all the
Katzenberg's Disease symptoms we'd thought we'd mercifully gotten rid of
by then.

(You could hear a degree of bafflement in the audience--
"What? What the heck's a Sniffy-Gay Villain doing back again?...We
thought we got rid of those! And what's with the whole Daddy Doesn't
Understand Outsiders thing again?--What is this, 1995?")

> I know; this one's different, but I'm
> leaning toward Adaptation right now.

(Uhhh-huh. Try me sometime on Jones/Kaufman's "Being John Malkovich"--
Which I am still convinced was not an actual *movie*, but two hours of
hip/smarmy Snickers commercials strung together without telling us:
"Hard day at work?--Another unfortunate effect of Hunger...")

> I'll eventually see TP.
>
> > Stop looking at the numbers and go see the movie. Then you'll know why
> > Ron Clements and John Musker deserve a standing ovation for this
> > inspired classic and should chart their own course, no matter the
> > squalls.
> >
> > This is way too good a movie not to go see, no matter the numbers.
>

> I'll see it... after Atlantis... on video. It's only fair.

Sooo...Two dozen "Treasure was a mess" RAA posts and you haven't seen
"Atlantis" yet, then?
Heh. Innnn-teresting. >: )

No, no, please, go ahead, we'd *LOVE* to hear your opinions on the
"clunky, disorganized, unappealing" TP after one good, long look at "Atlantis"--
A movie that, while a pretty picture to look at, by the last reel will
make you scream and BEG for plot.

(Which emphasizes what Treasure supporters have been saying all along--
It's so much nicer when a movie actually has a road map.)

Derek Janssen
dja...@rcn.com

R. A. Clemson

Dec 11, 2002, 4:02:05 PM12/11/02
In article <20021211134144...@mb-mq.aol.com>, EllisBB
<ell...@aol.com> wrote:

> No amount of beautiful visual "muzak" will somehow transform an otherwise
> bland script with a relatively overdone storyline into something that is
> appealing to a rather jaded movie audience.

I think that Treasure Planet lacked the "warm fuzzies" of the usual
Disney fare. It also lacked a clear villain (as we've always seen in
Disney films) and had an angsty, loner teenager for a hero. As dark in
tone as the film was, I wish that Clements and Musker had been allowed
to make it darker still (last year, Eisner ordered them to lighten the
film up and remove most of the "scary" swords from several scenes). It
makes one wonder how the film might have turned out without all the
corporate PCness and meddling. People whine all the time about why
can't animation be for adults? And when Disney tries (well, Musker and
Clements tried anyway) to raise the bar, everyone complains about it.

Being released so soon after Atlantis (a truly horrible film) didn't
help either as both plots seemed too similar to audiences. And why
Disney rushed to release Treasure Planet only 6 months after Lilo &
Stitch (and in the middle of the Harry Potter 2/James Bond blitz) will
always be a mystery. At the moment, Disney seems to be far more
interested in promoting the new Lilo DVD than they do Treasure Planet.
Note: there are NO Treasure Planet toys to be found at Wal-Mart or Toys
R Us, a sure sign that Disney was already screwing up the film's
promotion well-before the actual release date).

Anyway, I found the film to be quite good and it's worth seeing at
least once, especially if you can see it on IMAX. Treasure Planet has a
75% approval rating from film critics and most people I know actually
enjoyed the film.

Derek Janssen

Dec 11, 2002, 4:33:58 PM12/11/02
"R. A. Clemson" wrote:

> Being released so soon after Atlantis (a truly horrible film) didn't
> help either as both plots seemed too similar to audiences.

And causing Disney Marketing to panic "Whatever you do, DON'T LET THEM
FIND OUT IT'S AN ACTION FILM!!!!!"...

> And why
> Disney rushed to release Treasure Planet only 6 months after Lilo &
> Stitch (and in the middle of the Harry Potter 2/James Bond blitz) will
> always be a mystery.

(Yep, I can remember when we all thought "Lilo & Stitch"'s hide-and-seek
"Stitch in the House of Mouse" marketing was a Prophecy of Doom for the movie...
Turns out it was the other way around, at the boardrooms.)

> At the moment, Disney seems to be far more
> interested in promoting the new Lilo DVD than they do Treasure Planet.

Now, why they put out the Lilo DVD ONE WEEK after TP hit theaters--as if
it didn't have enough competition for public attention/dollars
already--*that* is the mystery.

> Note: there are NO Treasure Planet toys to be found at Wal-Mart or Toys
> R Us, a sure sign that Disney was already screwing up the film's
> promotion well-before the actual release date).

Nope--They're all over at the Disney Store:
Care for a plush Amelia, or a poseable BEN?

Derek Janssen
dja...@rcn.com

Juan F. Lara

Dec 11, 2002, 4:59:01 PM12/11/02
Being a little swell-headed here. I'm sorry. :-)

In article <3DF7AF3F...@rcn.com>, Derek Janssen <dja...@rcn.com> wrote:

> (Yep, I can remember when we all thought "Lilo & Stitch"'s hide-and-seek
> "Stitch in the House of Mouse" marketing was a Prophecy of Doom for the
> movie...

Speak for yourself. :-)

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Treasure+Planet+%22Lilo+and+Stitch%22+group:rec.arts.animation+author:Juan+author:F.+author:Lara&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d&selm=aetr8q%24du7%40piglet.cc.utexas.edu&rnum=6

> Now, why they put out the Lilo DVD ONE WEEK after TP hit theaters

I think more to compete with the the "Ice Age" DVD. IMHO, everyone had
completely forgotten about "Ice Age", but then the DVD release made everyone
remember again. So out goes "Lilo and Stitch" so that the Academy doesn't
forget that film as they're remembering IA.

> Care for a plush Amelia, or a poseable BEN?

Judging from a picture of the plush Amelia I see they put the stuffing in
all the right places. :-)

- Juan F. Lara
http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~jfl/intro.html

Markc65

Dec 11, 2002, 5:26:38 PM12/11/02
>It's the execution that bothers some of us
>(unless you're Roger Ebert, but that's another story).

Ebert is an ass. He like that animated horse movie, because it was animated so
"realistically."

TerryVPwcsdc

Dec 11, 2002, 9:41:45 PM12/11/02
> I avoided the film because the hype didn't sell me on the picture.
> Terrence Briggs, since 1995
> Peace to you...
====
Hype is Hype and has a life of it's own.

Treasure Planet is a story of a young man who feels he has no future
but after a journey finds that he was the one in control of his future
all along.

Treasure Planet is a modern day animated Wizard of Oz. (Girl wants to
leave the farm, goes on journey and finds all she ever wanted was
right there in her own backyard.)

Don't let hype dictate what you should see. Chart your own course to
the theatre and see Treasure Planet. It's an amazing film and well
worth the 8-10 bucks.
IMO
tg

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Dec 11, 2002, 11:01:49 PM12/11/02
On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Juan F. Lara wrote:

> In article <3DF7AF3F...@rcn.com>, Derek Janssen <dja...@rcn.com> wrote:
>
> > (Yep, I can remember when we all thought "Lilo & Stitch"'s hide-and-seek
> > "Stitch in the House of Mouse" marketing was a Prophecy of Doom for the
> > movie...
>
> Speak for yourself. :-)
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Treasure+Planet+%22Lilo+and+Stitch%22+group:rec.arts.animation+author:Juan+author:F.+author:Lara&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d&selm=aetr8q%24du7%40piglet.cc.utexas.edu&rnum=6

Remember Juan, this site is your friend:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?H20F16DB2

> > Care for a plush Amelia, or a poseable BEN?
>
> Judging from a picture of the plush Amelia I see they put the stuffing in
> all the right places. :-)

Would it be appropriate here to say furreak? ;-)

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | U of Rochester cif.rochester.edu/~stanlee
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

Juan F. Lara

Dec 12, 2002, 1:47:17 AM12/12/02
In article <Pine.GSO.4.44.0212112257560.5599-100000@roundtable>,

S.t.A.n.L.e.E <sta...@cif.rochester.edu> wrote:
> Remember Juan, this site is your friend:
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?H20F16DB2

:-D Sorry about that. I didn't know about this site before.

> Would it be appropriate here to say furreak? ;-)

Sure. :-)

- Juan

Terrence Briggs

Dec 12, 2002, 8:39:14 AM12/12/02
mar...@aol.com (Markc65) wrote in message news:<20021211172638...@mb-mf.aol.com>...

And loved Spirited Away because.....?

Terrence Briggs, who doesn't think anyone will confuse Spirit and
Spirited Away in this post
Peace to you...

Thomas E. Reed

Dec 12, 2002, 10:12:40 AM12/12/02
On 11 Dec 2002 11:39:51 -0800, mrm...@peopleweb.com (Terrence Briggs)
wrote this long reply to TerryV...@aol.com (TerryVPwcsdc), who
seemed to be utterly dedicated to making us see "Treasure Planet" as
an underdog.

Terrence, God bless his soul, didn't fall for it. But I have to ask
you something, Mr. T.: do you think this Terry person was a PLANT?

I see quite a few of them on "Ain't It Cool News," trying to get the
minority audience of movie fanatics interested in failing films. Not
too often on Internet newsgroups, though...but this was such a
disaster for Disney, I wouldn't put it past a staffer at the Mouse to
try this little attempt to push his company's product.

The giveaway for me was when Terry said things like...

>> and has a signature style that is a mix of 17th century and the future with a
>> story that hangs off of the classic Treasure Island.

...and...

>> It has wonder
>> and adventure and inspires a future in our youth where there was none.
>> It has humor and heart and deals with real life. It's about charting
>> your own course no matter the squalls.

Which sounds about as authentic and heartfelt as a press release for a
Troma film. It isn't the fact that this was a plant that bothers me,
so much that it was so utterly clueless. Why...it might have even been
written by the film's directors!

New since 11/25! Part 5 of The Conventioneer's
Guide to Life, and Conditional Santa rides again!
Tom Reed's Off-Model - http://www.off-model.com

Terrence Briggs

Dec 12, 2002, 4:23:36 PM12/12/02
Derek Janssen <dja...@rcn.com> wrote in message news:<3DF79CFA...@rcn.com>...

Which is to say, "I dare you to call Deep Impact 'clunky,
disorganized, unppealling' after one good, long look at Armageddon".
Hey, after surviving Titan AE, a Hoplessly Average TP may be the Cast
Away-esque Porta-Potty From Heaven I need! I love animation and all,
but I don't exorcise my Digimon: The Movie ghosts by watching Pokemon:
The Movie.

> (Which emphasizes what Treasure supporters have been saying all along--
> It's so much nicer when a movie actually has a road map.)

When that road map outlines a jogging path for a run of the mill, I
set my priorities accordingly. Maybe memorizing Spirited Away in its
(possible) final month of theatrical play will send Disney a more
accurate message from me than a half-hearted, eight-dollar
contribution to the Support Your Hopelessly Average $180-million
Animated Hulaballo (and $40 Million Marketing Campaign) Fund. I gave
up supporting mega-blockbusters "to see what the fuss is about" years
ago, and only family and friends can drag me into the likes of Attack
of the Clones and Planet of the Apes and Jurassic Park III again.
Only the promise of a free rental will put TP in my Asian DVD-friendly
media center, thank you much.

> Derek Janssen
> dja...@rcn.com

Terrence Briggs, who said he'd get around to Secret of Nimh, too, but
was stuck in the middle of a self-imposed Dark Water marathon
Peace to you...

Terrence Briggs

Dec 12, 2002, 4:25:28 PM12/12/02
Thomas E. Reed <tomr...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<klahvuk0at03skn94...@4ax.com>...

> On 11 Dec 2002 11:39:51 -0800, mrm...@peopleweb.com (Terrence Briggs)
> wrote this long reply to TerryV...@aol.com (TerryVPwcsdc), who
> seemed to be utterly dedicated to making us see "Treasure Planet" as
> an underdog.
>
> Terrence, God bless his soul, didn't fall for it. But I have to ask
> you something, Mr. T.: do you think this Terry person was a PLANT?

"Plant" is a harsh term. If dude is a plant, I was a vegetable for
boosting Spirited Away in my own irresponsibly vague manner.

<snip>

Terrence Briggs

Dec 12, 2002, 4:25:54 PM12/12/02
TerryV...@aol.com (TerryVPwcsdc) wrote in message news:<425d59b5.02121...@posting.google.com>...
> > I avoided the film because the hype didn't sell me on the picture.

> Hype is Hype and has a life of it's own.

> Treasure Planet is a story of a young man who feels he has no future
> but after a journey finds that he was the one in control of his future
> all along.
>
> Treasure Planet is a modern day animated Wizard of Oz. (Girl wants to
> leave the farm, goes on journey and finds all she ever wanted was
> right there in her own backyard.)

This observation reminds me of the "Alice in Wonderland on acid" takes
of Spirited Away, and a few people were wrongly expecting that. I
tried to be general in my praise to avoid giving away its secrets, but
I fell short explaining the quality of the texture that made the
experience so singular. I should've spent more time reviewing the
film and less time boosting.

> Don't let hype dictate what you should see. Chart your own course to
> the theatre and see Treasure Planet. It's an amazing film and well
> worth the 8-10 bucks.
> IMO
> tg

I already promised that I'd see it on tape, after Atlantis. That's a
committment 260 million animation-haters will never make :)

Terrence Briggs, who committed himself to seeing Hercules, X:The
Motion Picture, and Digimon: The Movie, too, so it's only fair
Peace to you...

Derek Janssen

Dec 12, 2002, 4:48:17 PM12/12/02
Terrence Briggs wrote:

> > > I'll see it... after Atlantis... on video. It's only fair.
> >
> > Sooo...Two dozen "Treasure was a mess" RAA posts and you haven't seen
> > "Atlantis" yet, then?
> > Heh. Innnn-teresting. >: )
>
> I gave
> up supporting mega-blockbusters "to see what the fuss is about" years
> ago, and only family and friends can drag me into the likes of Attack
> of the Clones and Planet of the Apes and Jurassic Park III again.
> Only the promise of a free rental will put TP in my Asian DVD-friendly
> media center, thank you much.

It's not about peer pressure, it's about credibility--
If you've taken up the new hobby of rimshot Disney-bashing in the hopes
of a Usenet Cool Identity Brand-Name[TM], keep one basic rule of the
game in mind:
I've SEEN Atlantis in a theater, and I've seen Hercules in a theater,
and I get to complain about them all I damn please. Like a kid in a
candy store.
That's the members'-club perk, and you only earn it by fire. : )

Similarly, having sat through TP in a theater, I get to plug, rave,
drum-beat and rose-color it all I damn please. For people in stone
houses, it's target practice at the glass.
Unfair? Oh, a tad. But that's what so fun about doing it.

Derek Janssen (membership has its privileges)
dja...@rcn.com

Markc65

Dec 12, 2002, 5:52:31 PM12/12/02
>> Ebert is an ass. He like that animated horse movie, because it was animated
>so
>> "realistically."
>
>And loved Spirited Away because.....?

I don't know what his review was about regarding Spirited Away, so your comment
is lost on me. I read his review of Dreamworks' Spirit where he raved about the
horse being animated so "realistically," which always seems like a waste of
time and effort to me.

People who think animation should copy live action are asses in my book and
shouldn't be allowed to review animated features. Bring back Manny Farber of
The New Republic!!

Terrence Briggs

Dec 13, 2002, 4:26:06 PM12/13/02
Derek Janssen <dja...@rcn.com> wrote in message news:<3DF9041A...@rcn.com>...

> > > Sooo...Two dozen "Treasure was a mess" RAA posts and you haven't seen
> > > "Atlantis" yet, then?
> > > Heh. Innnn-teresting. >: )

I've been snipped! Or at least overwritten by Google. Here's the
context, starting with DJ's comment:

> > > No, no, please, go ahead, we'd *LOVE* to hear your opinions on the
> > > "clunky, disorganized, unappealing" TP after one good, long look at "Atlantis"--
> > > A movie that, while a pretty picture to look at, by the last reel will
> > > make you scream and BEG for plot.

> > Which is to say, "I dare you to call Deep Impact 'clunky, disorganized, unppealling' after one good, long look at Armageddon". Hey, after surviving Titan AE, a Hoplessly Average TP may be the Cast Away-esque Porta-Potty From Heaven I need! I love animation and all, but I don't exorcise my Digimon: The Movie ghosts by watching Pokemon: The Movie.

> > > (Which emphasizes what Treasure supporters have been saying all along--
> > > It's so much nicer when a movie actually has a road map.)

> > When that road map outlines a jogging path for a run of the mill,
I set my priorities accordingly. Maybe memorizing Spirited Away in
its (possible) final month of theatrical play will send Disney a more
accurate message from me than a half-hearted, eight-dollar
contribution to the Support Your Hopelessly Average $180-million

Animated Hulaballo (and $40 Million Marketing Campaign) Fund. I gave

up supporting mega-blockbusters "to see what the fuss is about" years
ago, and only family and friends can drag me into the likes of Attack
of the Clones and Planet of the Apes and Jurassic Park III again.
Only the promise of a free rental will put TP in my Asian DVD-friendly
media center, thank you much.

> It's not about peer pressure, it's about credibility--

Clarification: I never said the film is a mess. Never called it
clunky, disorganized, or unppealing. I twisted the Fairness Doctrine
to include criticism from folks who had seen the movie, didn't like
it, and did not fall into the camp of Disney haters. I'd apply the
same doctrine to quote TP supporters if unfair criticism (such as
Roger Ebert's, which was targeted at the concept) were levelled
against it. Ebert's concerns aren't keeping me from the theater. My
credibility extends no further than "Why should I see this film, given
what I've heard is good and bad about it?"

This isn't Space Jam, which I didn't like, but initially defended for
the same reason I'm avoiding TP right now: Insufficiently convincing
arguments from the other side. "Siskel & Ebert are film critics from
Jordan's hometown!" and "It's a big Nike commercial!" tell me that Mr.
Space Jam Slammer read the press kits and confirmed suspicions, but
don't suggest the film was actually seen. Newspaper blurbs like
"Treasure Island Meets Star Wars!!!" don't speak from experience; they
speak from marketing.

Today's mea culpa is Terrence Briggs calling Spirited Away a
brilliantly realized fantasy, with no references to the film's
technique. If I can set aside 200 words for a Digimon: The Movie
rant, I surely could've spared fifty words for a capsule review.

> If you've taken up the new hobby of rimshot Disney-bashing in the hopes
> of a Usenet Cool Identity Brand-Name[TM], keep one basic rule of the
> game in mind:
> I've SEEN Atlantis in a theater, and I've seen Hercules in a theater,
> and I get to complain about them all I damn please. Like a kid in a
> candy store.
> That's the members'-club perk, and you only earn it by fire. : )
>
> Similarly, having sat through TP in a theater, I get to plug, rave,
> drum-beat and rose-color it all I damn please.

Hey, I saw Spirited Away and get the same perks in its discussions.
Those perks don't include misrepresentations of dissenters. To
reinterpret an example, the perks don't include calling the Mike
D'Angelos of the world anime haters because they think Miyazaki's "not
much of a storyteller". They don't include (in the specific case of
another Treasure Planeteer) nudging stragglers by suggesting they're
more concerned with box office numbers.

The Cats Don't Dance Missionaries dropped their verse, convincing a
skeptical, all-purpose animatophile to plunk down two bucks on a video
rental years ahead of schedule. Maybe they had the undercat factor
working in their favor, but that same factor must've been multiplied
when I caught Final Fantasy: TSW a week before its theatrical exile.

So that explains it! The ghosts...er, phantoms, of FF have poisoned
me.

> For people in stone
> houses, it's target practice at the glass.
> Unfair? Oh, a tad. But that's what so fun about doing it.

This greenhouser isn't even winding up; I'm a diplomat for both sides
of stoners. Not that either side's very mellow.

I make no apologies for the anti-Disney know-nothings. Pray for them.
Just because I'm shooting for the deathbed confessional to TP on
video doesn't mean I can't be converted to the multiplexed masses.
Preach without prejudice, and I will no longer be a Doubting Terrence.

> Derek Janssen (membership has its privileges)
> dja...@rcn.com

Terrence Briggs, who's falling short on his Ghibli tithes
Peace to you...and enough religious references

Terrence Briggs

Dec 13, 2002, 4:29:27 PM12/13/02
j...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Juan F. Lara) wrote in message news:<at8cf5$l7m$1...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>...

> Being a little swell-headed here. I'm sorry. :-)
>
> In article <3DF7AF3F...@rcn.com>, Derek Janssen <dja...@rcn.com> wrote:
>
> > (Yep, I can remember when we all thought "Lilo & Stitch"'s hide-and-seek
> > "Stitch in the House of Mouse" marketing was a Prophecy of Doom for the
> > movie...
>
> Speak for yourself. :-)
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Treasure+Planet+%22Lilo+and+Stitch%22+group:rec.arts.animation+author:Juan+author:F.+author:Lara&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d&selm=aetr8q%24du7%40piglet.cc.utexas.edu&rnum=6
>
> > Now, why they put out the Lilo DVD ONE WEEK after TP hit theaters
>
> I think more to compete with the the "Ice Age" DVD. IMHO, everyone had
> completely forgotten about "Ice Age", but then the DVD release made everyone
> remember again. So out goes "Lilo and Stitch" so that the Academy doesn't
> forget that film as they're remembering IA.

So the Disney leviathan is back to squeezing out the animated
competition like the good ol' days? :)

Hey, Ice Age's numbers say otherwise. Has it beaten Shrek already?
Has either film dethroned The Lion King?

This whole six-month lag time between film and DVD release is a bit
loopy, but it makes perfect sense, doesn't it? Guys like me (who
rarely see blockbusters in the theaters), used to see the joints
post-hype, wondering what caused all the ruckus. Now the releases are
almost PART of the hype, if the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings
models are to be followed.

> > Care for a plush Amelia, or a poseable BEN?
>
> Judging from a picture of the plush Amelia I see they put the stuffing in
> all the right places. :-)

Cripes, Dr. Lara. If Emma Thompson saw the stuffing on that
highly-padded heinie, she'd swear they used Tia Carrere's derriere as
a model! Less Barbie, more Barney, por favor. She's supposed to be a
catwoman, fer cryin' out loud!

That McDonald's 101 Dalmations "Playful Pups" Happy Meal is getting a
WHOLE new interpretation, or at least a spin on an old one.

Terrence Briggs, since 1995, when he was noticeably less loopy
Peace to you...

Derek Janssen

Dec 13, 2002, 6:38:50 PM12/13/02
Terrence Briggs wrote:

> I make no apologies for the anti-Disney know-nothings. Pray for them.
> Just because I'm shooting for the deathbed confessional to TP on
> video doesn't mean I can't be converted to the multiplexed masses.
> Preach without prejudice, and I will no longer be a Doubting Terrence.

Okay, let's try this:
<ascends pulpit, consults Clever Terrence-Speak dictionary:>

Yes, the TP ads sucked like a hyperactive Hoover--
Disney's Marketing witch doctors looked at the "Atlantis" disaster,
rattled the chicken bones, fingered the entrails, waved their beaded
feathers, and said that an Action movie had angered the great mysterious
and unfathomable Audience Volcano God, who now demanded a Comedy as
sacrifice...Hence the ads shoving Martin Short up the audience's
collective wazoo every chance they got.
(And let's not even get into that one kid-aimed ad that consisted of
nothing of timing impacts and pratfalls to Gaite Parisienne....Dear
heavens, that WAS the edge of the cliff. >_< )

But an Ad is an Ad, and a Movie is a Movie:
Once you've plunked down your eight bucks and got your posterior between
the drink-holders, they can show all the damn ads they like, it still
comes down to how good the movie *is* for ninety minutes.
And, as stated before, Musker & Clements clearly LOVE their job. In
ways Trousdale & Wise, not to mention the collective parade of Other
Guys, can only envy and dream of.

Yes, there's a bit of strategic-comedy here and there out of sheer
bet-hedging panic. (Never mind David Hyde-Pierce, just brace yourself
now for the all-fart-joke character, and deal with it later.)
But unlike Disney's last five movies, this movie had *one* single agenda
from Day One and there's no question left about what it was: Pirates
and space-galleons, for those who'd never read the book.
Go ahead, just TRY and figure out what "Atlantis" was trying to
accomplish, or just what one thematic tone "Tarzan" was aiming
for...Meanwhile, M&C have one reason they've been working for Disney for
the last sixteen years, and that's to make Famous Stories Look Cool.
Not clever "Emperor's New Stitch" ideas somebody in the Animation
department thought up on his lunchbreak, but Famous Stories. And the
factory built-in Reasons They're Cool.
(Unsubtle hint: The opening scene of the movie consists of 5-yo. Jim
reading a Really Cool storybook of the pirate backstory, under his
bedsheets...Yes, as a matter of fact, they DID draw you a picture.)

Mission accomplished in this case?--YMMV.
Mine got me all the way to the interstate exit, with enough left over to
leave the air-conditioning on.

Derek Janssen (you really don't want to put it down to a wager, do you?)
dja...@rcn.com