Sonic

74 views
Skip to first unread message

Eric E. Pearson

unread,
Nov 28, 1993, 2:50:17 PM11/28/93
to

Keywords:


This weekend, I was watching the Saturday SONIC THE HEDGEHOG and noticed that the artistry had noticeably changed! To start, the color scheme was lighter. Next, the characters looked more ...toony than usual. Sally was ESPECIALLY different. Her body looked inflated, her hair was shorter, and her voice had changed drastically!
In addition, the story was also toonier than normal. Though some of the sight gags were funny, I think the "heavier" more serious stories were more enjoyable. Hopefully, episodes like this will be few and far between. Does anyone know why such changes were made? Was this the result of another mid-production change in creative staff (ala BONKERS)?

Jus' my 2 cents,

Eric "My Brain Hurts" Pearson
pea...@rpi.edu

Brian W. Antoine

unread,
Nov 28, 1993, 4:43:07 PM11/28/93
to
Eric E. Pearson (pea...@warren1a.its.rpi.edu) wrote:
: This weekend, I was watching the Saturday SONIC THE HEDGEHOG and noticed

ARRRGGGGHHH! The local station has been playing movies and such the last
three weeks instead of the normal cartoon lineup. I want my Sonic! Time
to call the station and find out what's going on <grumble>
--
Brian W. Antoine --------| Three Humans, one Velan, a Meenzal and a hunk
Olivetti North AM || * of crystal. "That damned machine doesn't
E. 22425 Appleway || |/\ *~ stand a chance" muttered the crystal
Spokane, WA 99220 || `7l=`8- under her breath.
==== / l / \ bri...@tau-ceti.isc-br.com

Fuzzy Fox

unread,
Nov 29, 1993, 1:06:32 AM11/29/93
to
pea...@warren1a.its.rpi.edu (Eric E. Pearson) writes:

> This weekend, I was watching the Saturday SONIC THE HEDGEHOG
> and noticed that the artistry had noticeably changed!

I recognized the title, "Heads or Tails" as being the pilot episode for
the series, supposedly shown last summer (thought I missed it somehow).
I believe it was animated by a different group, and thus the different
feel to it. I don't think it is a "new" thing, though, more of an "old"
thing from the very beginning.

--
----- David DeSimone ----- Fuzzy Fox ----- f...@netcom.com ------------
"I am accustomed to extreme insensitivity on the Internet,
so I will ignore it." -- Dan Milliron (da...@mentorg.com)

Eric E. Pearson

unread,
Nov 29, 1993, 8:07:47 AM11/29/93
to

David DeSimone (f...@netcom.com, aka Fuzzy Fox), writes, in response to the significant differences in last week's Saturday SONIC THE HEDGEHOG:

>I recognized the title, "Heads or Tails" as being the pilot episode for
>the series, supposedly shown last summer (thought I missed it somehow).
>I believe it was animated by a different group, and thus the different
>feel to it. I don't think it is a "new" thing, though, more of an "old"
>thing from the very beginning.

Good thing, too! Since DIC already released a "toonier" Sonic show for weekday syndication, it didn't make sense to toonify the Saturday show. Besides, I've heard that some young kids LIKE heavier, more serious shows. That could explain why BATMAN:THE ANIMATED SERIES is such a hit with the kids.

Jus' my 2 cents,

Eric "This Space for Rent" Pearson
pea...@rpi.edu


Ron Bauerle

unread,
Nov 29, 1993, 1:01:53 PM11/29/93
to
In article h...@usenet.rpi.edu, pea...@warren1a.its.rpi.edu (Eric E. Pearson) writes:
> This weekend, I was watching the Saturday SONIC THE HEDGEHOG and
>noticed that the artistry had noticeably changed! To start, the color scheme
>was lighter. Next, the characters looked more ...toony than usual. Sally was
>ESPECIALLY different. Her body looked inflated, her hair was shorter, and her
>voice had changed drastically!

Yeah, this one really stunk art wise. I don't know if Sally's hair was
shorter, or just being done up in a ponytail (gak) made it look that way...

> In addition, the story was also toonier than normal. Though some of
>the sight gags were funny, I think the "heavier" more serious stories were
>more enjoyable.

Agreed. I had a lot of problems with this one:

1. Why would weak cotter pins make the throwing arms break? (e.g., the
one Bunny replaced).

2. I find it hard to believe they could aim the catapults well enough
to knock down those robotic bees. And you'd think they'd be a bit more
waterproof than that - what happens when it rains? Now if they were
throwing _boulders_, that would be different!

3. Seeing Bunny with a mudpack and her ears in curlers was a bit
gross. Even Babs never did _that_ :^(

> Hopefully, episodes like this will be few and far between.

Agreed, but with only two more to go it doesn't really matter...

RDB

Ron Bauerle

unread,
Nov 29, 1993, 1:05:28 PM11/29/93
to
In article g...@usenet.rpi.edu, pea...@warren1b.its.rpi.edu (Eric E. Pearson) writes:

>Besides, I've heard that some young kids LIKE heavier, more serious
>shows. That could explain why BATMAN:THE ANIMATED SERIES is such a
>hit with the kids.

That will be the only thing that gets it renewed, since the 18-25
market apparently doesn't count (I saw an article that said the #2
choice of 18-25 (35?) males for afternoon viewing was toons. Guess what
was #1? Soaps! Gakkk! Who'd watch that slop over TTA, A!, etc.?)

RDB

E. Kontei

unread,
Nov 29, 1993, 3:38:23 PM11/29/93
to
In article <CH9M9...@cs690-3.erie.ge.com>, bau...@cs690-3.erie.ge.com (Ron Bauerle) writes:
> In article g...@usenet.rpi.edu, pea...@warren1b.its.rpi.edu (Eric E. Pearson) writes:
>
> >Besides, I've heard that some young kids LIKE heavier, more serious
> shows. That could explain why BATMAN:THE ANIMATED SERIES is such a
> >hit with the kids.

That makes perfect sense. When *I* was a kid, I used to prefer more
dramatic shows like Captain Harlock, Space Cruiser Yamato and Mazinger Z
than what the networks had to offer at the time. That's how I became
an anime fan... ^_^

> That will be the only thing that gets it renewed, since the 18-25
> market apparently doesn't count (I saw an article that said the #2
> choice of 18-25 (35?) males for afternoon viewing was toons.
> Guess what was #1? Soaps!

What America Wants Is... an animated show with a serialized storyline.
A "cartoon soap", if you will. That's why X-Men did so well in the
viewer's poll: it has a larger story, continued in weekly installments.
Furthermore, make each *season* of the show a complete story, with a
beginning, a middle, and an end. (13 half-hour episodes are plenty of
time to tell a story).

And for crying out loud someone PLEASE convince Channel 50 to get
ExoSquad out of the Friday 6:30 AM timeslot!! :-p
--
E n r i q u e C o n t y
Coordinator, Project Zeta
co...@cbnewsl.att.com jes...@ihlpm.att.com
Disclaimer: You're not dealing with AT&T

Scott Alan Malcomson

unread,
Dec 2, 1993, 3:39:30 PM12/2/93
to
: This weekend, I was watching the Saturday SONIC THE HEDGEHOG and

I don't know about that (I wondered why Bonkers kept switching between the
"Picquel" and "Wright" shows...), but I remember this is how Ewoks died
such a messy death. I LOVED the first season! It was great, with
characters having decent personalities and a lot of good writing and
animation. Second season, someone remembered it was supposed to be for
kids and butchered the whole thing. Lower-quality animation, characters
reduced to stereotypes, and abysmal writing. I'll never forget how Teebo
went from an intelligent and well-carried young lad to a complete idiot/klutz.
I damn near cried.

---LCD

Ron Bauerle

unread,
Dec 3, 1993, 8:47:35 PM12/3/93
to
(alt.fan.furry deleted since we don't carry that group here)

In article 1...@herald.indirect.com, hors...@indirect.com (Scott Alan Malcomson) writes:

>I don't know about that (I wondered why Bonkers kept switching between the
>"Picquel" and "Wright" shows...), but I remember this is how Ewoks died
>such a messy death. I LOVED the first season! It was great, with
>characters having decent personalities and a lot of good writing and
>animation. Second season, someone remembered it was supposed to be for
>kids and butchered the whole thing. Lower-quality animation, characters
>reduced to stereotypes, and abysmal writing. I'll never forget how Teebo
>went from an intelligent and well-carried young lad to a complete idiot/klutz.
>I damn near cried.

Agreed - after having the excellent "Asha" end the first season
(written by the great Paul Dini), to be followed by the dreck of the
second one, was too much. I quit watching after the first show of the
second season. I wonder if I'll ever find the time to rewatch my tapes
of the first season...(I _have_ watched "Asha" a few times - being at the
end of the tape helps). BTW, "Asha" was turned into a Golden Book (or
something like that) called (I think) "The Red Ghost" - a nice
collectible for Ewoks fans.

RDB


Brenda Daverin

unread,
Dec 5, 1993, 1:56:15 PM12/5/93
to
hors...@indirect.com (Scott Alan Malcomson) writes:

> I damn near cried.
>
> ---LCD

What you witnesses was the result of the fact that two different Sonic
The Hedgehog animated series exist. One does the more refined artwork and
complex stories, the other relies on sight gags and looser art quality.

Brenda Daverin aik...@lunacity.com Mountain View, CA (415)968-8140
Christian/Celtic pagan/Taoist/Libertarian/bisexual/married/funny-animal
fan/fat/wannabe writer/plan-to-be hunter -See conflicts? Funny, I don't.
ATTN: Cacophonist- please re-mail me, I deleted you by mistake!

Scott Alan Malcomson

unread,
Dec 7, 1993, 4:47:15 PM12/7/93
to
: > I don't know about that (I wondered why Bonkers kept switching between the

: > "Picquel" and "Wright" shows...), but I remember this is how Ewoks died
: > such a messy death. I LOVED the first season! It was great, with
: > characters having decent personalities and a lot of good writing and
: > animation. Second season, someone remembered it was supposed to be for
: > kids and butchered the whole thing. Lower-quality animation, characters
: > reduced to stereotypes, and abysmal writing. I'll never forget how Teebo
: > went from an intelligent and well-carried young lad to a complete idiot/klutz
: > I damn near cried.

: What you witnesses was the result of the fact that two different Sonic

: The Hedgehog animated series exist. One does the more refined artwork and
: complex stories, the other relies on sight gags and looser art quality.

I think you have me confused with the fellow I was responding to. I was
talking about the old "Ewoks" show and comparing it to what he was saying
about the "Sonic" shows. I haven't actually seen the "Sonic" stuff.

---LCD

Andrew Gee Jeung

unread,
Dec 7, 1993, 7:20:44 PM12/7/93
to
Does anyone know when When The Grinch Stole Christmas will be on? Or have I
missed it already?

Thanx in advance,

Andrew Jeung

pas de .sig

Scott Streeter

unread,
Dec 9, 1993, 8:23:38 AM12/9/93
to
>>>>> "Andrew" == Andrew Gee Jeung <agj...@leland.Stanford.EDU> writes:
In article <1993Dec8.0...@leland.Stanford.EDU> agj...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Andrew Gee Jeung) writes:

Andrew> Does anyone know when When The Grinch Stole Christmas will be
Andrew> on? Or have I missed it already?

It was on TNT once already. But last year they showed it multiple
times.

--
Scott Streeter
s...@wpi.wpi.edu

Admin 3 on host gumby

unread,
Dec 17, 1993, 8:26:57 PM12/17/93
to
This is a test, no actually a lesson. Thank you for your patience....

Happy Holidays!

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages