The Gauntlet of Villains (1980)....looking for more info on this rare cartoon...

James Fabiano

Sep 7, 2021, 2:26:51 PM9/7/21
Back in 1980, there was a cartoon about the Gauntlet of Villains, from the end game of the game show Whew! Like the opening of the show, it was produced by Hanna-Barbera I assume, but I know very little about it otherwise. Can anyone help?

AWORio

Sep 7, 2021, 2:38:41 PM9/7/21
On Tuesday, September 7, 2021 at 2:26:51 PM UTC-4, James Fabiano wrote:
> Back in 1980, there was a cartoon about the Gauntlet of Villains, from the end game of the game show Whew! Like the opening of the show, it was produced by Hanna-Barbera I assume, but I know very little about it otherwise. Can anyone help?

It actually aired in the summer of 1979. It was a six-episode miniseries that aired as part of CBS' Saturday morning lineup at 10 AM, with the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show being temporarily cut back a half hour in order to accomodate it. The series would re-air in syndication about a year later, so that's why you might remember it as being from 1980.

James Fabiano

Sep 7, 2021, 2:43:27 PM9/7/21
Do you remember anything else about it? I feel like you're a person who remembers seeing it!

Your Name

Sep 7, 2021, 5:54:30 PM9/7/21
It doesn't even get a mention in the book about Hanna-Barbera that I have.

Apparently the "Whew!" game show is being re-aired on the retro network
Buzzr this month:
<https://www.vulture.com/2021/08/70s-game-show-whew-to-air-on-retro-network-buzzr.html>

Hat Putato

Sep 7, 2021, 7:57:33 PM9/7/21
I remember seeing it! Memory is hazy but I do remember one of the heroes was a redrawing of Daphne Blake from Scooby Doo (HB loved recycling characters making slight modifications). She was voiced by I think Jean Vander Pyl.

James Fabiano

Sep 7, 2021, 9:35:59 PM9/7/21
Yeah I figured that the heroine would be the woman you see at the beginning of the game show. H-B was known for having female leads, with Penelope Pitstop and all, so I am not surprised.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Sep 7, 2021, 10:17:00 PM9/7/21
In article <08ab7576-4f4b-45cc...@googlegroups.com>,
You might see if comicbook & TV writer Mark Evanier knows -- he's an HB
maven and seems pretty approchable, or at least he answered an email from
me years ago. His site: https://www.newsfromme.com/contact-me/
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

James Fabiano

Sep 8, 2021, 3:04:00 PM9/8/21
Good idea. I wonder if he remembers seeing a John Davidson $10,000 Pyramid too!

AWORio

Sep 24, 2021, 12:15:56 PM9/24/21
One other thing about the Gauntlet of Villains cartoon - it was the first show to use the H-B Swirling Star logo!