How likely is a fish tank to break?

Mitch Constantinescu

Jun 5, 2004, 10:10:15 PM6/5/04
I am thinking to buy a fish tank of about 30gallons.
I live in a rented appartment with wooden floor.

How likely is it for the fish tank to break? What kind of tank should
I buy so that it doesn't break? (are acrylic tanks of 30 gallons
usual?)

Thank you for your answer :-)
Mitch

Moontanman

Jun 6, 2004, 3:07:09 PM6/6/04
>I am thinking to buy a fish tank of about 30gallons.
>I live in a rented appartment with wooden floor.
>
>How likely is it for the fish tank to break? What kind of tank should
>I buy so that it doesn't break? (are acrylic tanks of 30 gallons
>usual?)

If you take even a reasonable amount of care in handling them a glass tank can
last for decades and is unlikely to break. Acrylic can also break or even pull
apart, neither is completely without some small risk. Most of the time when a
glass tank breaks it doesn't fail catastrophically, instead they crack and
maybe weep a little bit of water very slowly. You would have to hit a tank very
hard to cause a catastrophic breakage that would result in all the water
rushing out of the tank into the room. Most modern aquariums are very safe,
especially the smaller ones like the 30 gallon you are talking about. It can
happen, a long time ago my cousin hit a ten gallon tank of mine with a bowling
ball, it was a mess to say the least but hitting a tank with a bowling ball has
to be a rare event.

Moon
I breed dwarf crayfish for planted aquariums and grow trees in aquariums.
My groups
Mormyrids...@yahoogroups.com
mudpuppies...@yahoogroups.com
smallcatfishg...@yahoogroups.com
sturgeon-...@yahoogroups.com

Jenny Hsu

Jun 7, 2004, 3:34:34 AM6/7/04
moont...@aol.comnospam (Moontanman) wrote in message news:<20040606150709...@mb-m03.aol.com>...

Hi,
I think modern aquariums are very durable. However, I do recommand a
good aquarium stand for your aquarium. In additon, avoiding
transporting your aquairum when your aquarium isn't empty. Hope this
is might be helpful for you ^_^
happy keeping fish
Jenny Hsu

Slick's Back

Jun 8, 2004, 1:07:57 PM6/8/04
moont...@aol.comnospam (Moontanman) wrote in message news:<20040606150709...@mb-m03.aol.com>...

Breed dwarf crayfish??? Moon, need I point out how big of a loser you are?

-Slick

tracy

Jun 8, 2004, 7:12:22 PM6/8/04
>>>"Slick's Back" <slick...@oddpost.com> wrote in >>>message > Breed

dwarf crayfish??? Moon, need I >>>point out how big of a loser you are?

Is this really necessary? I mean, do you REALLY have to insult someone just
because you don't like how or what they do??

On to the original poster, I do not think that a glass tank is likely to
break any time soon as long as you treat it like anything else made of
glass. I have two 55 gallon tanks that are probably about 10 years old and
they don't leak at all. I do agree, though, that you need to get a good
sturdy stand. You don't want to have your stand collapse under your full
tank. Good luck with your new hobby.

Moontanman

Jun 9, 2004, 3:02:12 PM6/9/04

> Breed dwarf crayfish??? Moon, need I point out how big of a loser you are?
>
>-Slick

Yeah, I'm a loser, at least my nick name isn't slick! I'm betting you can't
even breed yourself.

Luv-N-Life

Aug 5, 2004, 6:18:13 PM8/5/04
LOL... nice one Moon... nice!