Looking for help -- Im a noobie!

Tyson James

Mar 24, 2005, 9:52:03 AM3/24/05

I was given a 45 Gallon, Exclipse 3 set package for my birthday and I want
to get it set up this weekend, but I need some advice;

I want to do Native FW Species (Lepomis gibbosus - Pumpkin Seeds) yet I am
unable to find any sources of references, including the FAQ's listed for
the group.

My questions are ;

1)Tank Prep - I will be collecting from a local private pond where the
water temps I will presume to be 1-5C (33 - 44F) if I am to transfer to my
tank there is going to be a huge increase in temp. Even transporting the
fish there will be some temp fluxuation, will this stress be way to much?

What should the temp increase be per hour? Or can the fish handle it?

I'm considering adding ice cubes to the tank/bucket to maintain temps but
what should the increase be per hour that they can handle?

2)The PH of the water, given the temp problem any ideas on how to equalize
the transport water (which will be the pond water they get transported in)
to the tank?

Any ideas or references that you can point me to?

Thanks

flyfishr28(at)(nospam)hotmail(dot)com

el Newso

Mar 24, 2005, 9:25:26 PM3/24/05
howdy,

I would transport them in a cooler (ice chest) with water from the pond
where you catch them if possible. The more water you can haul, the
slower the temperature change will be. Keep the lid closed. Oxygen is a
concern, a battery powered air pump would be helpful but you can get
away without if you don't crowed them. Leave some space between the
surface of the water in your cooler and the lid. Maybe 3" - 4".

I think you should temporarily try to match the temp of the tank water
to the hauling water. Once the fish are in the tank let the water come
to room temp naturally, I believe that the fish can take this slow temp
increase.

In the best-case-scenario, you would also match the pH. This may be
difficult. Try to get it in the ball-park and go with it. If you don't
know what the lake pH is just shoot for neutral. While acclimating the
fish, add tank water to the bag/bucket to help them adjust.

Try to collect young specimens, these will adapt to tank life better.
Also keep the tank and room dark/dim for a few days, wild fish have a
hard time adjusting to artificial light. Bright lights can really
stress out a wild fish.

Don't be discouraged if you loose some or all of the fish. If you do,
try again later in the season. Collecting can be half of the fun. Maybe
try several weeks after the pumpkinseed spawn. Very young fish and
warmer weather will likely increase your success. Some little bullhead
catfish would be cool with those.

Important: It is best not to return fish kept as pets back into the
wild. Especially if they were kept with tropical fish. This spreads
disease and can be disastrous to wild populations.