Reef devil E.T.S Skimmer,Anyone have one to comment on?

MMethot

May 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/25/97

I need any comments on this skimmer I want to buy one but I'm not sure if
the small ets skimmers are worth it? Thanks for any info.

Matt.

Daren349

May 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/26/97

Well I own an ETS 500. Have had it for 4 months. So far it has not done
what I expected it to do. I have never been able to adjust it correctly
and it has produced only minimal amounts of skimmate. Aquarium does not
look like it should.... I have a friend who owns one of the CPR Backpacks
and it has been set up for 6 weeks. He had a tremendous amount of alga
growing and one morning when he woke up, all the alga was completely gone
and the aquarium is crystal clear!!! I am considering selling my ETS 500
and purchasing one of the CPR backpacks!!!!! Just my thoughts, Im sure I
will have people disagree. Anyone who owns an ETS500 and can help me
please do!!!!! Thanks!!!!

Daren Brantley

Sanjay Mani

May 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/26/97

Daren349 (dare...@aol.com) wrote:
: Well I own an ETS 500. Have had it for 4 months. So far it has not done

: what I expected it to do. I have never been able to adjust it correctly
: and it has produced only minimal amounts of skimmate. Aquarium does not
: look like it should.... I have a friend who owns one of the CPR
: Backpacks

What do you mean "as it should.." ?? Algae, stuff dying, cloudy
water ??

: and the aquarium is crystal clear!!! I am considering selling my ETS 500

: and purchasing one of the CPR backpacks!!!!! Just my thoughts, Im sure I
: will have people disagree. Anyone who owns an ETS500 and can help me
: please do!!!!! Thanks!!!!
: Daren Brantley

Sure, I'll help. You're thinking of selling a downdraft to buy a
BakPak !!??!! Unless you've decided what you really want to keep is
soft coral (a perfectly reasonable decision), this is a fairly
stunning conclusion.

How is your skimmer plumbed into the tank ?? What's the salinity of
your tank (with those swing-arm meters, you could be really
low) ?? Do you have LR in the tank, fish, coral ??

Sanjay M.

Craig Bingman

May 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/26/97

In article <19970526022...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,

Daren349 <dare...@aol.com> wrote:
>Well I own an ETS 500. Have had it for 4 months. So far it has not done
>what I expected it to do. I have never been able to adjust it correctly
>and it has produced only minimal amounts of skimmate.

The original 800 geometry was pretty good. The smaller units give up a
lot of mixing and potential for drawing air into the mix so that they can
fit under the cabinet.

Yes, we can probably help you adjust your 500.

One of the most important things with any skimmer (raising my eyebrows a
little at this point) is maintaining adequate calcium and alkalinity
status in the aquarium. So, how are you doing that? I'd suggest either
limewater or balanced ionic solutions, or a CaCO3/CO2 reactor (called a
"kalkreactor" in some circles, with massive confusion with Alf's method
for suspending calcium hydroxide and injecting CO2. However,
"kalkreactor" is probably a better term than "kalkwasser" for reasons I
won't go into here.)

In any event, you have to keep the neck of the skimmer cleaned. Some
people turn it down and wipe it out with a paper towel. Others remove the
neck at the flange and clean it up in the tub or sink. Those of you who
clean it in the tub and don't clean the tub are asking for divorce papers,
delivered at work. If you don't keep the neck clean, the skimmer won't
produce consistently.

Let me know if you have problems beyond that.

Craig

Matt Harrop

May 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/26/97

On 26 May 1997 05:25:34 GMT, san...@lad.stanford.edu (Sanjay Mani)
wrote:

>Sure, I'll help. You're thinking of selling a downdraft to buy a
>BakPak !!??!! Unless you've decided what you really want to keep is
>soft coral (a perfectly reasonable decision), this is a fairly
>stunning conclusion.

I'm also considering a ReefDevil for a new 90 gallon tank I'm setting
up shortly. I've been advised that it will outperform a Turboflotor,
but not by much. I've got a Turboflotor in a 55 gallon, and I'm happy
with it. I'm still undecided as to whether to get a TF or a ReefDevil
for my new 90 gallon.

>How is your skimmer plumbed into the tank ?? What's the salinity of
>your tank (with those swing-arm meters, you could be really
>low) ??

Now this really caught my eye. The only salinity meter I've ever used
is a swing arm meter from Aquarium Systems. Are these generally
considered to be inaccurate? Do I need to buy a floating hydrometer?

Regards,

Mike Noren

May 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/26/97

Replying to mha...@interlog.com (Matt Harrop)

:
: Now this really caught my eye. The only salinity meter I've ever used
: is a swing arm meter from Aquarium Systems. Are these generally
: considered to be inaccurate?

All I've seen have been crap. Anecdotal evidence suggests that others
have found the same thing.

: Do I need to buy a floating hydrometer?

It's a good idea.

:
: Regards,

Michael Norén, Doctoral student, Tel: Int +46 (0)8 6664236
Swedish Museum of Natural History, Fax: Int +46 (0)8 666
Dept. of Invertebrate Zoology
P.O.B. 50007
S-104 05 Stockholm, Sweden

Ken Wong

May 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/27/97

Hi Matt,
IMO, the Reef Devils are worth the money. They are an excellent
skimmer. However, they do not skim nearly as much as the larger ETS
skimmers, but nothing really does in this price range.

Ken Wong
Reef Fanatic
http://www.reef-fanatic.com
Reef Information Exchange Center
http://reef-fanatic.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.html
re...@reef-fanatic.com
Your one stop solution to all your Reef Keeping needs.

Ken Wong

May 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/27/97

Hi Matt,
There is an excellent hydrometer that uses a swing arm type metter.
It is a Marinomat manufactured by eSHa. I believe there was a
positive review of this hydrometer in what used to be Aquarium
Frontiers. I have found these units consistent amongst each other.
IMO, a hydrometer is quite a neccessity in a marine aquarium. Without
one, it is hard to determine the salinity of your water and whether it
is fluctuating and by how much.

Ken Wong
Reef Fanatic
http://www.reef-fanatic.com
Reef Information Exchange Center
http://reef-fanatic.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.html
re...@reef-fanatic.com
Your one stop solution to all your Reef Keeping needs.

>Now this really caught my eye. The only salinity meter I've ever used
>is a swing arm meter from Aquarium Systems. Are these generally

>considered to be inaccurate? Do I need to buy a floating hydrometer?
>

>Regards,

Chris Paris

May 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/27/97

cbin...@netcom.com (Craig Bingman) writes:

> One of the most important things with any skimmer (raising my eyebrows a
> little at this point) is maintaining adequate calcium and alkalinity
> status in the aquarium.

Craig, could you elaborate on how calcium and alkalinity status
affects skimmer performance?

Chris

Craig Bingman

May 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/28/97

In article <ww9aflg...@serviceberry.srv.cs.cmu.edu>,
Chris Paris <c...@cmu.edu> wrote:

>Craig, could you elaborate on how calcium and alkalinity status
>affects skimmer performance?

It seems to strongly affect the amount of exported phosphate.

Craig