Artificial cycling- Ammonium Chloride?

Ken Kammerer

Jan 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/24/97

Hello fellow fish fanatics,

I was thinking of trying to cycle my tank (150G fish-only) using
Ammonium Chloride, rather than Damsels. My first tank (125G, fish-only)
was cycled with Damsels, and several died. I want to avoid having this
happen again, because it's expensive to keep replacing Damsels, and I
feel bad about sticking them in there and slowly killing them with high
ammonia and nitrites. So...

Does anyone know, if I were to use ammonium chloride, how much would
need to be introduced into the system on a daily basis? If anyone has
done this, and would like to share their experiences, opinions, and
general knowledge, it would be very greatly appreciated.

Please send e-mail to ken...@udel.edu .
Thanks in advance,

Ken Kammerer
Mechanical Engineering
University of Delaware

ratir...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2013, 9:56:02 AM11/29/13

Ammonium Chloride (NH4CI), inorganic, colorless crystal component that is soluble in water. It comes from the reaction of hydrochloric acid and ammonia. The ammonium chloride is available in best quality and used in various manufacturing industries. It is basically used in cleansing products, plywood glue, pyrotechnics, cough medicine, flavor food industries, shampoo, as electrolyte, as antispasmodic, as component in metalwork.

http://www.galvanizingchemicals.com/products/ammonium_chloride.html