What is this on my rock?

MarkW

Dec 19, 2002, 7:35:23 PM12/19/02
I just bought some premium fiji live rock as it was called and it's
loaded with these living things. Some are small, some large. They
tend to hide at night but come out while the lights are on. They sway
in the currents and almost look a little like feather dusters or
anemones but I know they are something different. Here is a link:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1471300&uid=823897&members=1

George Ball

Dec 19, 2002, 8:47:54 PM12/19/02
Aptasia, no doubt about it.

Not a good thing to have....

George
"MarkW" <markwco(removenospam)@attbi.com> wrote in message

SAUDIBOUND

Dec 20, 2002, 10:54:25 AM12/20/02
You can clear that up with a Copperband Butterfly, if your tank is large
enough. If it's smaller, add Peppermint Shrimp.

Jawfish

Jan 4, 2003, 8:31:10 PM1/4/03
Aiptasia.
Many people have stated that they can multiply like bunnies with mutant
hormones. I've seen evidence of this in a particular LFS. Fortunately, the
one individual that hitched into my tank remained just one - for two years.
Then it disappeared.

Paul

Jan 5, 2003, 11:00:01 AM1/5/03
thats what it looks like.....
Phylum Cnidaria (Coelenterata)
Class Anthozoa
Order Actinaria
Family Aiptasiidae
Aiptasia pallida and Aiptasia pulchella

Aiptasia are generally dark brown to translucent brown anemones.2" - 4"
have a stinging cell.
aiptasia have a toxin that is more potent that the majority of corals kept
Corals coming into contact with aiptasia will recede and show signs of
distress, leading to death
ridding of them is tough. chemicals dont always work
predetors may be better.. if only a few... you be the predator *lol*

The chemical approach involves taking a toxic liquid or paste and placing a
large dose into the mouth of the aiptasia. The most popular one is to mix
two parts water to one part calcium hydroxide (lime, kalkwasser) mix it and
place it into a large bore syringe. Now this is highly caustic and some care
should be given to the handling of this mixture. The large bore syringe can
be obtained at any pet store or vet supply that handles vaccinations. Once
you have it mixed and loaded, you simply place a large blob right on the
aiptasia. The aiptasia rapidly takes the mix into its mouth. Within a few
minutes the aiptasia begins to dissolve and can be easily removed by a small
bore siphon. Other mixtures that can be used include hydrochloric acid,
calcium chloride and boiling water. One more note of caution, large doses of
some of these chemicals can rapidly change your pH.

Butterfly Fish....Peppermint Shrimp will eat them... carfeull the shrimp
may eat a bit more too *lol*

"Jawfish" <jaw....@verizon.net> wrote in message

jason

Jan 5, 2003, 3:56:49 PM1/5/03
I too suffer from the dreaded Triffids !!! If you want a safer method of
removal : I use boiling hot water and the syringe method. I too have used
the Kalkwasser injection method but find substituting the Kalk for boiling
water safer for me and my tank. This is just as effective, on larger
Aiptasia, though the smaller critters I leave to the Peppermint
shrimps...............

.................................... Jason

"Paul" <p...@duluth.com> wrote in message

date

Jan 11, 2003, 12:29:33 PM1/11/03
I used a peppermin shrimp to remove about 8-9 apstasia .... He did a
great job !!! :guns:

--
30 GAL Reef Tank
Prizm 90 skimmer