T5 lighting and depth/wattage

SkyCatcher

Jan 10, 2006, 12:29:47 PM1/10/06

I want to light a 3ft deep tank. I estimate that it holds about 280 gal of
sea water. Is there any sites that I can use to calculate the ammount of
lighting I need to illuminate this? It will hold priomarily fish.

Thankx

Sky

CanadianCray

Jan 10, 2006, 2:01:26 PM1/10/06
If its just for fish than its really not as critical. If you are going to be
keeping any corals than it is more important. I think for a tank that size
you will want to go with VHO or Metal Halide.

"SkyCatcher" <brian....@NOSPAMhotpop.com> wrote in message

kim gross

Jan 11, 2006, 11:17:49 PM1/11/06
For fish, You only need enough light for you to be able to see the
fish. For corals the amount of light is very important, for the fish it
does not take much light to make them happy.

kim

adv_aqua

Feb 18, 2006, 4:01:04 PM2/18/06
You dont say how long the tank is...assuming its 96" I would use 2 standard
shop lights with coralife 50/50's.
The lamps will run you more $$ than the fixtures but they provide nice color
rendition on fish. If you want to see for yourself put 2 standard lamps in
half and 2 coralife lamps in the other - what a difference $50 will
make.....

pomacanthus
www.advancedaquarium.com

hibrite...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2013, 4:05:54 AM4/16/13
T-5 lamps are 40% smaller than T-8 lamps and have a smaller bi-pin base. Conversion kits are available which convert existing T-8 fittings to utilize energy efficient, high frequency ballasts while accommodating the smaller diameter T-5 lamp. The magnetic ballast remains in place but is bypassed as a conductor. The new high-frequency electronic ballast draws but 2 watts as opposed to the 6 – 10 watts of the old magnetic ballast, thereby increasing efficiency. Check more about T5 Lighting here - http://hibritelighting.com/a-t-5-lighting-primer/