Too much light? (and affordable lighting source)

Darcey Harding

Jul 10, 2001, 6:22:27 PM7/10/01
Do you have a planted tank that you are deliberately over-lighting?
Do you laugh in the face of the 2-4 watt rule?
Have any catastrophes befallen your plants?
Algae taken over your living room and holding your dog hostage?

I just discovered a local shop here in Seattle called The Indoor Sun Store.
Wide selection, great prices...and am now grappling with the temptation to
run off and buy 500 watts of lighting, which is still at the low end of
their scale---they have 1000-watt fixtures for $280, and in a range of color
temps, too. I'm going to trip my circuit breaker before I'm finished, I'm
sure.

http://www.store.yahoo.com/indoorsun/
(206) 634-3727
They know a LOT about MH/HPS lighting and can answer questions over the
phone.

They get a lot of reef folks, but not too many freshwater, they said. For a
125T (60x18x24), this puts me at the top of all widely accepted ranges, but
it sure doesn't look like that much light in person. Anything horrible
going to happen? Am I going to get arrested by my local aquarium society if
I don't use a UV shield?

Thanks!

Earl Fitzgerald

Jul 10, 2001, 7:29:52 PM7/10/01
LOL this is a "indoor gardening" shop...

Earl

Darcey Harding

Jul 10, 2001, 8:03:23 PM7/10/01
They were founded in 1970...someone saw a market in Seattle for "indoor
gardening" supplies. But heck, I'm not going to argue. I've bought tabletop
waterfall supplies, slate, interesting rocks, and plenty of houseplants
from them. Their shop is terrific.

Hadn't considered the lighting supplies until this new tank, though.
Will 500 watts bury my tank in algae?

"Earl Fitzgerald" <efit...@ichips.intel.com> wrote in message

Wayne Jones

Jul 9, 2001, 7:37:04 PM7/9/01

"Darcey Harding" <NOSPAM...@drizzle.com> wrote in message

> They were founded in 1970...someone saw a market in Seattle for
"indoor
> gardening" supplies. But heck, I'm not going to argue. I've bought
tabletop
> waterfall supplies, slate, interesting rocks, and plenty of
houseplants
> from them. Their shop is terrific.
>
> Hadn't considered the lighting supplies until this new tank, though.
> Will 500 watts bury my tank in algae?

500 watts of what type of lighting exactly? Overlighting is also over
spending on electricity. At $.10 per kilowatt hour that is going to be
$.50 per day or $180 per year so don't get too exited about any savings
you might get on the fixture. It doesn't make sense unless you are
growing a valuable cash crop.

Wayne

Victor Yong

Jul 11, 2001, 12:23:55 AM7/11/01
and we all know the most valuable cash crop is.. *cough*

Richard =)

"Wayne Jones" <w...@mnsi.net> wrote in message

Darcey Harding

Jul 11, 2001, 12:54:37 AM7/11/01
Oh good lord. A bunch of hippies with overactive imaginations, that's all
you guys are. :-)

It turns out that buying 500 watts of metal halide lighting from this place
is nearly $100 cheaper than buying two 175 watt Hamilton pendant fixtures.
So while it's a good deal, 500 watts seems to be pushing the upper limits of
"acceptable lighting levels" for a 125 tank.

If I go with the good deal and buy the 500 watt metal halide lamps...is that
too much light? Am I going to fry my plants or start an algae farm? Last
time I checked, hair algae didn't have any cash value. Gosh, I'd kill for a
glossostigma farm, though.

DH

"Victor Yong" <norn...@go.com> wrote in message

> and we all know the most valuable cash crop is.. *cough*
>
> Richard =)
>
> "Wayne Jones" <w...@mnsi.net> wrote in message

> > 500 watts of what type of lighting exactly? Overlighting is also over

Ken

Jul 11, 2001, 1:07:29 AM7/11/01
"Darcey Harding" <NOSPAM...@drizzle.com> wrote in message news:<DeL27.326586$p33.6...@news1.sttls1.wa.home.com>...

> Do you have a planted tank that you are deliberately over-lighting?
Hey if you want some real bright lighting check out this link.
http://www.tubularskylighting.com/

Oleg

Jul 11, 2001, 10:19:10 AM7/11/01
I though that Seattle growers are getting a tough competition from the
neighboring British Columbia. Hmm... Columbia... What a coincidence!

Wm Hopkins

Jul 11, 2001, 4:17:16 PM7/11/01
Grown hydroponically of course (to keep things vaguely OT).

Victor Yong

Jul 14, 2001, 8:12:10 AM7/14/01
i wonder if they would grow faster in c02 injected water?,
I hear you can really speed up growth by injecting c02 into a green house..
gotta watch for the c02 being a deadly gas and all..

Richard
"Wm Hopkins" <whopk...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

hibrite...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2013, 2:32:00 AM4/16/13
to Darcey Harding
If you are interested in lighting up a large room, it might be a good idea to do it with the help of fluorescent colored wraps, high bays, strips etc. This is a fairly popular way of creating a brighter work space! Additionally, you can find commercial lighting for every application right from your conference room to the parking lot. The options are many. These include landscape lighting, flood lights, occupancy sensors, exit signs, vandal proof, high bay and more. You can buy them at highly affordable wholesale rates! Check for affordable lighting here - http://hibritelighting.com/affordable-lighting/