betta w/plant

Mickie

Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00
This is what we, in the aquaria hobby, lovingly call a death trap. Bettas
are predators not vegetarians. I doubt seriously if that one plant is going
to produce enough "critters" to keep him from starving.

But hey.. he may last a month or two if she does water changes.

Jan Gordon wrote in message ...
:Hi,
:New to this group. I am hoping someone can help.
:A friend described to me a gift she received, I
:would love to duplicate it. It is a fish bowl
:with a blue betta and a plant, bare roots
:submerged, foliage sticking out of the water. The
:fish fertilizes the plant, the plant feeds the
:fish and provides air, no other food or fertilizer
:of air required. Any ideas of what sort of plant
:is used? Anyone ever see this set up?
:Thank so much!
:Jan
:
:

Jan Gordon

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00

Jan Gordon

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00
it has been two months now and everything looks
healthy. hmmmm

Mickie wrote in message ...
+AD4-This is what we, in the aquaria hobby, lovingly

call a death trap. Bettas

+AD4-are predators not vegetarians. I doubt seriously

if that one plant is going

+AD4-to produce enough +ACI-critters+ACI- to keep him from
starving.
+AD4-
+AD4-But hey.. he may last a month or two if she does
water changes.
+AD4-
+AD4-Jan Gordon wrote in message ...
+AD4-:Hi,
+AD4-:New to this group. I am hoping someone can
help.
+AD4-:A friend described to me a gift she received, I
+AD4-:would love to duplicate it. It is a fish bowl
+AD4-:with a blue betta and a plant, bare roots
+AD4-:submerged, foliage sticking out of the water.
The
+AD4-:fish fertilizes the plant, the plant feeds the
+AD4-:fish and provides air, no other food or
fertilizer
+AD4-:of air required. Any ideas of what sort of
plant
+AD4-:is used? Anyone ever see this set up?
+AD4-:Thank so much+ACE-
+AD4-:Jan
+AD4-:
+AD4-:
+AD4-
+AD4-

Nornicle

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00
ahh the deathtrap. Yes, the old favourite called the AQUABABY or the
copies..??? the plant will feed the fish, i cannot believe how smart the
capitalist sellers are to prey on the ignorance of the 20th century man.
A betta.. or siamese fighting fish is to the best of my knowledge NOT a
vegetarian. It's natural diet is insect larvae.
And im pretty sure that siamese fighting fish are VERY hardy because they
come from some of the dirtiest waters in the world... infact you can find
them occuring naturally in sewers. BUT that does not mean their going to be
happy. i say start feeding that fish... lucky they didnt put a non
anabantoid in there...

If you really want to get a fish i dont think these Quick fixes are the
way.. they are novelty items.
Jan Gordon <j...@12345gordon.com> wrote in message

http://www.newsfeeds.com The Largest Usenet Servers in the World!
------== Over 73,000 Newsgroups - Including Dedicated Binaries Servers ==-----

Mickie

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00
Two months, 3 months...my point is that there is no way he can get adequate
food from the plant. Bettas are very hardy and can survive (note, I say
survive) for quite a time in pretty abysmal conditions. I'll make this
point again thats been made on this newsgroup time and time again: You can
survive in a 6 x 6 room with no place but a corner for your excrement eating
nothing but bread and water. You'd probably live many years in such squalid
conditions but, would you want to? Isn't it nice you have the choice not
to?

Mickie

Jan Gordon wrote in message ...

:it has been two months now and everything looks

:
:

ChrisB

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00
I agree with the other posters. If you have to keep a fish in a small
container, at least give the thing some decent food and a good water
to air surface area for oxygen exchange and do regular water changes.
That makes for tolerable, not appealing, conditions.

On Mon, 07 Feb 2000 09:12:26 GMT, "Mickie" <ohmi...@nospam.rr.com>

Silvaa

Feb 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/8/00
This is a very rare betta, as it seems to hop out of the tank with a little
bucket and shovel go to the garden shed to get the fertiliser and come back
and feed the plant (this is something air breathers can do if you train them
really well). The plant is also very rare (related to triffids ... be wary)
as it acts like a venus fly trap except it gives it's catches to the fish ,
a truly symbiotic relationship