Spherical algae balls?

Marc Goldstein

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
Hi -

I've seen a new type of algae in the tank. It includes a pinhead-sized
starting point with roughly 3 millimeter long algal hairs that form what
looks like some sort of puffball. Like an algae pom-pom. The whole thing
is just over half a centimeter in diameter. These grow mostly on the
hanging roots of plants. I've been manually removing them.

Water conditions include CO2, pH 6.8, <.05 ppm phosphate, 5-10 ppm
nitrate, KH=2, GH=5. The tank is generally doing fine with not too much
of any one kind of algae.

There are only a few of these in the tank, and neither SAEs, Otos, shrimp
eat any of this kind of algae. I've never seen this kind before, so I'm
curious about it.

Any ideas what it is?

Marc

Chuck Gadd

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
On Sat, 11 Mar 2000 22:12:35 -0500, Marc Goldstein
<magolds...@ix.XXX.netcom.com> wrote:

>I've seen a new type of algae in the tank. It includes a pinhead-sized
>starting point with roughly 3 millimeter long algal hairs that form what
>looks like some sort of puffball. Like an algae pom-pom. The whole thing

I've seen my algae eating shrimp make little algae balls, but then
they carry them off and eat them. Maybe your algae eating shrimp are
storing them for some reason?

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

Marc Goldstein

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
In article <38cd0dee...@news.uswest.net>, cg...@cfxc.com says...
Chuck-

Thanks for the idea, but these are actual growing algae structures. They
look almost like molds that send hyphae out from a central point, but the
dark green color suggests these are algae rather than fungii.

Marc

Michael Porch

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
Sounds like colonies of Volvox species of algae.

Is this it?

http://hypnea.botany.uwc.ac.za/phylogeny/groworg/org3.htm

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art97b/volvoxms.html

In German:

http://www.rrz.uni-hamburg.de/biologie/b_online/e44/volvox.htm

--
The gods had condemned Sisyphus to ceaselessly rolling a
rock to the top of a mountain, whence the stone would fall

The Myth of Sysiphus / Albert Camus

Chuck Gadd

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
On Sun, 12 Mar 2000 15:24:37 -0500, Marc Goldstein
<magolds...@ix.XXX.netcom.com> wrote:
>Thanks for the idea, but these are actual growing algae structures. They
>look almost like molds that send hyphae out from a central point, but the
>dark green color suggests these are algae rather than fungii.

This sounds like a good question for Nelson D. Sherry. How about it
Nelson, any insight here? This is definitely a new one on me.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

constantl...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2015, 4:48:50 PM6/3/15
On Saturday, March 11, 2000 at 8:00:00 AM UTC, Marc Goldstein wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I've seen a new type of algae in the tank. It includes a pinhead-sized
> starting point with roughly 3 millimeter long algal hairs that form what
> looks like some sort of puffball. Like an algae pom-pom. The whole thing
> is just over half a centimeter in diameter. These grow mostly on the
> hanging roots of plants. I've been manually removing them.
>
> Water conditions include CO2, pH 6.8, <.05 ppm phosphate, 5-10 ppm
> nitrate, KH=2, GH=5. The tank is generally doing fine with not too much
> of any one kind of algae.
>

> There are only a few of these in the tank, and neither SAEs, Otos, shrimp
> eat any of this kind of algae. I've never seen this kind before, so I'm
> curious about it.
>
> Any ideas what it is?
>
> Marc
Did you ever resolve this? I have similar sounding things in my pond.
Francis (Portugal)