Betta and Neons not getting along

ono...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2006, 11:20:23 PM7/18/06
I started with 4 neons and 1 male betta in a 5G tank. After about 2
months I noticed that only 3 neons were left. About a month later only
2 left. He seems more and more agressive towards them as he chases them
around the tank. It seems as if it is a food issue and he chases them
from where the are feeding on food at the bottom of the tank. I try to
feed him more, but he goes about looking for food and chasing the
neons.

Not only are 2 neons missing, I cannot find any remnants of them at
all. Is it possible that he ate the entire neon?

Papa Red

Jul 19, 2006, 3:19:55 AM7/19/06
Well a five gallon tank containing a Betta and four other fish can be a
pretty tight fit, since adult male Bettas are rather territorial
anyway,...You should of had a bigger tank,...a 10 gallon one to give
each their own space to get away from the other,...or two 5 gallon
tanks. Some Bettas are pretty laid back, some are even rather shy and
retiring,...But then there are others who'd hassle an adult Oscar, if
you know what I mean.
And as far as the missing fish,...Have you looked outside the tank, on
the floor, et cetera? I don't know if your tank is covered or
not,...but when fish are hassled by an aggressive fish, they sometimes
jump upwards to get away, and either end up as mummified carcasses, or
even kitty sushi,...~Dean.

Alpha

Jul 19, 2006, 5:47:53 AM7/19/06

<ono...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Bettas will eat neons...plain and simple. I have had that happen some 40
years ago.

Köi-Lö

Jul 19, 2006, 11:14:08 AM7/19/06

<ono...@gmail.com> wrote in message
==================
When you see aggressive behavior like that, it's time to remove either the
aggressor or the other fish to another tank. Even if the aggressive fish
doesn't eat the fish it's chasing the stress can finish the victims off in
time.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.