Antique or not?

Nan

Oct 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/29/99
I was recently trying to sell a dining room set, while looking for a
suite number I noticed it was manufactured in 1962.
I contacted Thomasville furniture to get an idea of what it sold for
and how much it would be worth now. They told me to contact an antique
appraiser. If anyone has any knowledge of this brand, here is a
description and item numbers:
#'s 701-9 four chairs, fabric seats, refinished once
701-95 two arm chairs, refinished
0-701-26 Buffet Cart, has a small patch, 4 in. x 6 in. of sun damage
from being in front of a window.
0-701-2 Table w/1 leaf.
0-701-29 China Cabinet
The whole set is of Pecan wood, with what I believe is Cane backing on
the chairs.

Because of it's perfect condition we had no idea of it's age. We
purchased it from the former owner of our home, she didn't wish to move
it and we thought it was so pretty. She led us to believe that it was
10 yrs. old. We paid $4000.- for the whole thing, china included.
I was going to try to sell it for the same since we have never used.
(lol, we have six children, damage control, we're afraid to use it)

Thanks in advance for any help.
Nanette Granneman

Carol Millar

Oct 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/29/99
If you like this set I would recommend you keep it and use it. At this
time it is just a used dining room set and not something any antique
dealer would care to appraise. In an estate sale I would price this
style dining room set well under $2000.00. IMO
If you really want to sell it and can find someone willing to pay you
what you paid for it, I'd say do it.

Carol

Nan wrote:

> I was recently trying to sell a dining room set, while looking for a
> suite number I noticed it was manufactured in 1962.
> I contacted Thomasville furniture to get an idea of what it sold for
> and how much it would be worth now. They told me to contact an antique
> appraiser.

snip

Richard Ward

Oct 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/29/99
I've seen a really nice Thomasville table with six chairs of
approximately the same age go for under two hundred dollars less than
six weeks ago. I saw another Thomasville table without chairs, and with
the leaves missing, go for $55 three weeks ago.

Richard Ward

Carol Millar

Oct 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/30/99
We usually get between 400 and 500 dollars for the table and chairs.
The china cabinet, depending on how elaborate can bring 600-800. Of
course I have also seen them sit and not sell at all.

Carol

Michele Mauro

Oct 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/30/99
Nan, folks have advised on the furniture, but no one has mentioned the
china in it yet. Perhaps there's some value in it if it's older or
popular. What pattern and maker?

Good luck, Michele

Nan <ngrannema...@netzero.net.invalid> wrote in message

> I was recently trying to sell a dining room set, while looking for a
> suite number I noticed it was manufactured in 1962.
> I contacted Thomasville furniture to get an idea of what it sold for
> and how much it would be worth now. They told me to contact an
antique

> appraiser. If anyone has any knowledge of this brand, here is a
> description and item numbers:
> #'s 701-9 four chairs, fabric seats, refinished once
> 701-95 two arm chairs, refinished
> 0-701-26 Buffet Cart, has a small patch, 4 in. x 6 in. of sun damage
> from being in front of a window.
> 0-701-2 Table w/1 leaf.
> 0-701-29 China Cabinet
> The whole set is of Pecan wood, with what I believe is Cane backing on
> the chairs.
>
> Because of it's perfect condition we had no idea of it's age. We
> purchased it from the former owner of our home, she didn't wish to
move
> it and we thought it was so pretty. She led us to believe that it was

> 10 yrs. old. We paid $4000.- for the whole thing, china included.

> I was going to try to sell it for the same since we have never used.
> (lol, we have six children, damage control, we're afraid to use it)
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
> Nanette Granneman

Nan

Oct 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/30/99
Michele,
I am absolutely clueless when it comes to this stuff. The china looks
fairly new, I have no idea what pattern it is, it just says Barclay on
back. I feel quit silly and mad that I've paid so much.
Thank you to all who have responded.
Nanette

In article <7vf8cq$khi$1...@news.ao.net>, "Michele Mauro"

<las...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Nan, folks have advised on the furniture, but no one has mentioned
> the
> china in it yet. Perhaps there's some value in it if it's older or
> popular. What pattern and maker?
> Good luck, Michele

Gillam Kerley

Oct 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/30/99

Nan wrote:

> Michele,
> I am absolutely clueless when it comes to this stuff. The china looks
> fairly new, I have no idea what pattern it is, it just says Barclay on
> back.

Barclay doesn't ring a bell for me. I did find a reference to "Barclay"
china being produced for John Wanamaker, a Philadelphia department
store, but the mark would have the Wanamaker name as well. My
references from Replacements Ltd. list a dozen or so patterns called
"Barclay" by various companies; you might want to contact Replacements
Ltd. at 1-800-REPLACE or <http://www.replacements.com> for
identification help. IIRC they'll want you to mail photocopies of the
front and back of a dinner place.

GK

Michele Mauro

Nov 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/1/99
Consider it a "learning experience!" <grin> Seriously though, if you
like the china, remind yourself that new fine china goes for $100 a
place setting (or more), and serving pieces can also cost a small
bundle, so the extra money went to a nice, fine set of china!

And hang around here if you want to learn about antiques!

Have fun, Michele

> Michele,
> I am absolutely clueless when it comes to this stuff. The china looks
> fairly new, I have no idea what pattern it is, it just says Barclay on

domingue...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2018, 2:13:17 PM8/12/18
I have a I guess breakfast bar on rollers with the drop down leafs on each end. It's got Regent and it's Thomas ville.The top has marble on it. Have no clue what it's worth.Any help with that?