The Bartlett treadle sewing machine info please?

Marie Jaarsma

Nov 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/9/96

I'm looking for any information about a treadle sewing machine called The
Bartlett manufactured by Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co. Chicago, Illinios. I
have not been able to locate a date on the machine itself the original book of
instructions/manual that came with the machine has a date of 1892 in it. At
least I'm assuming the book came with the machine. The machine is in very nice
condition with all the various attachments, the type of attachments I didn't
think these old machines were made with.

The machine is in an oak cabinet, some of the wood is stipple finished( not
sure of spelling and term), the base is cast iron with the "The Bartlett" in
the pattern of the frame. The machine works fine, getting the tension just
right is a bit tricky. But I've heard that is not uncommon with treadles. The
machine was purchased second hand by my great grandmother in the early 1920's,
who used it mainly for the occassional mending.

I'm interested in knowing more about this brand, company, etc. anything really
would be appreciated. I have yet to find a single person who has heard of the
machine. An idea of its value would be interesting also. Also if anyone could
recommend any books or other sources of information would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Marie

mar...@pioneer.net

katm...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2013, 11:35:53 AM10/31/13
I have recently come into ownership of a treadle sewing machine that is labeled "The Bartlett" and has the stamp of Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co. While I was searching online for information, your post came up. I'm sure, since this was a long time ago it will be a dead end, but I figured it cant hurt to send an email and see if you had found any info yourself.
Thanks,
Katherine

julia...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2015, 12:42:56 AM8/17/15
I'm hoping that I can find some information on this old post as well. Today I purchased a Bartlett machine. It is in pretty poor condition, and probably not worth the $40 that I paid for it... probably not worth any more than the price of the steel in it. However, I'm going to try to get it back into operating condition if I can get the mechanism unfrozen. :) The cabinet is damaged by water and there is some (but only surface) rust on the parts. The pattern of the cast iron is very interesting reminescent of Frank Lloyd Write (sp?) architecture. I want to be able to use it for sewing, so since its in such poor condition I'll have to rebuild quite a bit of the cabinet. Basically, I would love any information that anyone can come up with
Julia Zugel
julia...@ymail.com

harol...@gmail.com

May 28, 2016, 2:38:49 AM5/28/16
I to own one of The Bartlett treddle sewing machines patented 1892, with a lot of attachments. I'm looking for any info available.

mimij...@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2017, 7:33:29 PM11/15/17
On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 1:38:49 AM UTC-5, harol...@gmail.com wrote:
> I to own one of The Bartlett treddle sewing machines patented 1892, with a lot of attachments. I'm looking for any info available.

Bartlett machines, and this depends on your exact machine, were badged machines made by National, White or Davis. The one Katm and Marie Jaasrma have are a National VS.

There are several vintage sewing machine groups on FB that can help any of you work on your machines or find parts.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/VintageSewingMachines/

molivei...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2020, 9:08:43 PM1/13/20
Mine is as well. Any info I can find is helpful