Apollo Silver Co.

Vivienne Manber

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
My favorite info source on silver companies is Dorothy Rainwater's
*Encyclopedia of American Silver Manufacturers*. In brief, Apollo Silver
Co. merged with 2 others in 1872 to become Bernard Rice's Sons (New York).
Rainwater says it <went out of business before 1959>. This company used
'Apollo Sterling' on (yeah) sterling; and 'Appollo Studio/New York' on
silverplate.
Vee

Casey Donovan <k...@hal-pc.org> wrote in message
> I'm interested in learning about the Apollo Silver Co., and
> particularly their sterling silver monogram money clips, which appear
> to have been popular in their day.
>
> I'd appreciate any references to books in print or in libraries, or to
> web sites, with information about this company and its products.
>
> Casey

Vivienne Manber

Dec 4, 2000, 1:01:05 AM12/4/00
Casey Donovan wrote:

> Thanks for the information. I'll look for a copy of that book. I'm
> curious to know if they continued to use the 'Apollo Sterling' mark
> after the 1872 merger. I've seen several pieces, and have a couple,
> and I wonder if they're really that old.

Not sure when, or if, 'Apollo Sterling' mark ceased to be used by Bernard
Rice's Sons (New York). Incidental info I just noted when returned to
Rainwater for your new query: In my 1986[3rd] ed., she reports that Garden
Silversmiths/New York/New York was listed in 1960s & 1973 keystone
directories
and 'now' owns dies for sterling silver wares formerly made by Apollo and
Bernard Rices's Sons.
Vee
P.S. Schiffer publishes D.R.'s silver encyc. Believe later ed. out
recently.