Chalwyn Lanterns - what are they?

Mark Fischer

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

I just received two lanterns that I am now trying to identify. The
previous owner said they were railroad lanterns, but I'm pretty sure
they aren't. My question now is: what are they?

The lanterns
are 10.5" tall
have a 1" wide, "C" shaped handle which extends another 5 inches
above the top of the lantern
have three 3.25" red lenses with a white rim
are red-orange painted tin (?)
have the words "Chalwyn" and "Made in England" embossed on the top

The previous owner bought them in Florida a number of years ago and
was told they were railroad lanterns. They don't resemble any
railroad lanterns I know of.

If anyone has any ideas, or even better - facts, about Chalwyn
lanterns, please drop me a note at m...@radix.net. If anyone really
can't live without two Chalwyn lanterns, contact me as well!

Thanks for any help,
--Mark Fischer
m...@radix.net

rta...@pica.army.mil

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

In article <4pg0lu$9...@news1.radix.net>, m...@radix.net (Mark Fischer)
wrote:

> I just received two lanterns that I am now trying to identify. The
> previous owner said they were railroad lanterns, but I'm pretty sure
> they aren't. My question now is: what are they?
>
> The lanterns
> are 10.5" tall
> have a 1" wide, "C" shaped handle which extends another 5 inches
> above the top of the lantern
> have three 3.25" red lenses with a white rim
> are red-orange painted tin (?)
> have the words "Chalwyn" and "Made in England" embossed on the top

...... Sounds like railroad lanterns to me. Chalwyn is an English lantern
manufacturer and the lanterns that you have are probably some sort of
railroad marker lights, like, for the rear of a caboose, last car, maybe
even a "streetcar ... or something along those lines, or at least that's
what it looks like to me. I've seen a number of them that sound similar to
what you describe. The ones that I've seen are box-ish, with a lens on
each of 3 sides. A fair number of these show up in the Northeast, probably
coming down from Canada (or at least that's what I assume).

Chalwyn also made a standard line of lanterns, such as the "Far East", and
the "Tropic", which also show up in the Northeast Markets, again, probably
brought down from Canada.

royaabb...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2018, 8:53:18 AM8/9/18
HI I HAVE ONE

royaabb...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2018, 8:54:09 AM8/9/18
That s name is chalwyn

stevenp...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2019, 3:58:18 AM6/28/19
Looks like you have the roadside emergency lamps.
I can remember seeing these on roadworks
In England through the nineteen sixties and seventies. I also saw them on the railways in England.
I have recently acquired a Chalwyne Tropic hurricane lamp.
I 1977 I worked at a glassworks in chesterfield England. Among other products they manufactured the glass globes for the tropic hurricane lamp, as I was working in the dispatch stores we used to load thousands of these globes all for the overseas market. I think the production of the actual lamps had ceased in England at this time.
I found this lamp in my late father in laws shed
Last year , he also worked in dispatch with me
I’m now in the process of restoring the lamp.
I would put pictures on hear if I knew how to do it.

stevenp...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2019, 8:32:50 AM7/4/19